Page 36 of 75 FirstFirst ... 2632333435363738394046 ... LastLast
Results 1,751 to 1,800 of 3719

Thread: Surly Krampus

mtbr member
    Just curious. I'm trying to see if it's even worth trying. I'm thinking of using the bike to ride some railroad bed trails and just buying another wheelset 700c/29er. If someone has already done it and the bike rides crappy, then I won't try it. Standard Krampus build otherwise.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I'm stuck between the Krampus and the Pugsley... and just because of the name, Karate Monkey.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by x3speed View Post
    Just curious. I'm trying to see if it's even worth trying. I'm thinking of using the bike to ride some railroad bed trails and just buying another wheelset 700c/29er. If someone has already done it and the bike rides crappy, then I won't try it. Standard Krampus build otherwise.
    I've toured gravel/dirt roads on my Krampus w/ Knards. Unless you are racing I would just ride the stock tires they work great in those conditions.

If you want to save the Knards get some 2.4" 29er rubber and run them on your existing wheels.

Unless racing is in the cards I don't see how you'd get the value from a 2nd wheelset just to ride some rail trails.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    FWIW ive read a couple reviews that say the Krampus rides just great with a "regular" 29er wheel/tire set.

But if it was me, Id just take out my old beater 1x6 Panasonic DX3000 with its cross tires, for rail trials.

mtbr member
    What psi to you run for those conditions Vik?

mtbr member
    What psi to you run for those conditions Vik?
    Sorry I don't use a tire gauge. Basically I ride and I want to see some slight tire deformation rolling along, but not a huge bulge.

I've been riding fat bikes for years so I am pretty good at finding the pressure I want by feel.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Jon BALER
    Jan 2007
    Rail trails tend be to flat and straight. I'm sure the Krampus would ride just fine with skinny wheels and tires under these non-taxing conditions.

On the other hand, like Vik said, the Knards roll pretty good. I ride pavement for 4-5 mile stretches to get to the trails, and they do remarkably well considering their width. And you won't be paying a big weight penalty for the heavier tires on flat rail trail.

In your case, I'd probably get a cheap 29er wheelset. If nothing else, you'll save the tread of the expensive knard tires. Saving 2-3 knards will pay for a cheap wheelset.

mtbr member
    Thanks guys I appreciate the help with the out loud thinking

@adelorenzo
    Quote Originally Posted by NEwrench View Post
    I'm stuck between the Krampus and the Pugsley... and just because of the name, Karate Monkey.
    I own both a Pugsley and Krampus. In my opinion they are two very different bikes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by anthony.delorenzo View Post
    I own both a Pugsley and Krampus. In my opinion they are two very different bikes.
    +1 - you have to decide if you want a fatbike or a mountain bike.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I too own a Pugsley and Krampus. There is simply no comparison. They are 2 completely different animals.
    Both are tons of fun and super capable....at different tasks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Maybe some owners of fatbikes also Krampus could elaborate as to the differences between the two?

Is it like blonde brunette difference, or like brunette redhead different?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Re: Krampus and 29er wheels. I rode mine that way for a couple of hundred miles when I really wanted some front suspension. I was using an Arch rim with an Ikon in the back and a Flow with an Ardent in the front. I thought it was great. The slack geometry is fun and the slightly long chain stays didn't bother me.

I now have a suspension fork that works with the RH/Knards, and it's tremendously fun. I don't think they're necessarily better than normal 29er wheels except for in soft or sandy conditions, however; they're just really fun. I may end up with a dedicated 29er wheel set for it at some point, but I want to check out the new Dirt Wizards first.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sanjuanswan View Post

I now have a suspension fork that works with the RH/Knards, and it's tremendously fun. I don't think they're necessarily better than normal 29er wheels except for in soft or sandy conditions, however; they're just really fun. I may end up with a dedicated 29er wheel set for it at some point, but I want to check out the new Dirt Wizards first.

Just curious what fork are you running and how much travel?
    The LPG

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by lancelot View Post
    Just curious what fork are you running and how much travel?
    Modified X-Fusion Slide 29, 100mm travel.

mtbr member
    Modified by Chris Herting?
    The LPG

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Modified by Chris Herting?
    Yes. You getting one too?

mtbr member
    No but he just built me this.

Sorry guys not trying to hijack thread.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Surly Krampus-image.jpg  

Surly Krampus-image.jpg  

The LPG

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Yes. You getting one too?
    I might have ran into you at Chris's house. I was riding through the neighborhood, stopped by, and someone was picking up a modded fork.

mtbr member
    Need details on this xfusion fork. Im all ears

mtbr member

Surly Krampus

Need details on this xfusion fork. Im all ears
    What he said.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    lancelot -- Yeah, I saw that in your other thread. Gorgeous bike. All of Chris's stuff is really cool. Can't wait to see the finished photos!

drummerdavid -- that was me!

x3speed -- It's the same idea as any of the other modified forks people have posted. Just a regular X-Fusion fork with some metal removed from the bridge. There are some photos in the story on the 3D 29+ bike at TwentyNineInches.

mtbr member
    I would love to see him mod a Trace. Just curious if it has a little more clearance to start with.
    The LPG

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    ....drummerdavid -- that was me!...
    Thats funny.

I've been thinking about a fork for my Krampus and wondering how you liked yours.... and what the whole thing cost.

OTOH, I like the Krampus simple. Its like going back to my first mountain bike in 1983. Well, not really.

mtbr member
    I dug up a couple pics of Chris's Slide. Pre and post mod.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Surly Krampus-image.jpg  

Surly Krampus-image.jpg  

The LPG

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by drummerdavid View Post
    I like the Krampus simple.
    That's it. Surly gives us a bike which is simple - and first thing some people do is thinking how a complicated suspension fork can fit

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    I'm not sure I understand what you mean here - perhaps you could expand on what differences you perceive...

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Don't even mention gingers <blast I said it>

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by satanas View Post
    I'm not sure I understand what you mean here - perhaps you could expand on what differences you perceive...
    Well I saw a shop mounting p35's with knards on a 9zero and it really interested me. I am wondering if it be worth my time to try a similar setup out, or just stick with my current setups which are rd w/ knard and hudu, and my nimble 9 with 2.4 tires?

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Oh, you were talking about bike parts in code then? I was hoping for something more interesting, but less PC. (I'll leave the tyre comments to others who've had wider experience - pun not intended. )

mtbr member
    Well I saw a shop mounting p35's with knards on a 9zero and it really interested me. I am wondering if it be worth my time to try a similar setup out, or just stick with my current setups which are rd w/ knard and hudu, and my nimble 9 with 2.4 tires?
    Well the cost for new wheel set + tires is significant. For a RH+ Knard combo you are getting close to $1K without some sort of discount. You'll end up with a 29+ fatbike that's closer to a 29er MTB than a fatbike.

Given that you have a 29er MTB it's hard to say if it's worth it or not.

I used the parts from my 29er hardtail to build my Krampus. Personally I can't see much point having both. I wouldn't ride them both enough to justify the builds.

I've ridden a N9 - it's a great 29er...

If you've got a shop doing cool stuff like building 29+ wheels for a fatbike maybe you can score a test ride on a Krampus? That would give you some additional insight into the question.

BTW - I've used a Knard on a Stan's Flow no problem so you can probably try out a Knard on the front of your N9 depending what fork you are running. That might also be useful for figuring out if you want to drop the $$ for a 29+ fatbike wheelset.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

gone walk about
    Quote Originally Posted by DerBergschreck View Post
    That's it. Surly gives us a bike which is simple - and first thing some people do is thinking how a complicated suspension fork can fit
    come up for a bit of air for pity sakes.........choices is a good thing.. complicated this is not..
    plus+, plus+ = win:

mtbr member
    Thank you for sharing!!!

mtbr member
    Anyone have any input about which hitch racks work well with the Krampus? Would hate to buy one and have the 29x3's screw me over.

mtbr member
    I dug up a couple pics of Chris's Slide. Pre and post mod.
    Does he do this stuff for customer's outside of his area?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gouda Cheez View Post
    Anyone have any input about which hitch racks work well with the Krampus? Would hate to buy one and have the 29x3's screw me over.

My Krampus goes into our Yakima rack with no hassles.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Does he do this stuff for customer's outside of his area?
    Use a dremel tool and you can shape your fork brace at home. There is no magic to it beyond taking off as little material as you can to get the desired clearance.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Thanks, Vik!

@adelorenzo
    North Shore Rack

@adelorenzo
    Maybe some owners of fatbikes also Krampus could elaborate as to the differences between the two?

One is a mountain bike, one is a snow bike.

You want to ride on snow you pay the price in terms of a slow, heavy bike that has an akward wide crank and steers like a cow. But it sure as hell can ride on snow, especially with some 80's and Big Fat Larrys.

You want to shred some dirt or go bashing through the wilderness (when it's not covered in snow) you get yourself a Krampus. Mine rides like a 29er singlespeed with heavier wheels.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I guess my only fat experience is with a 9zero, but I am going to have to disagree with you about the fat bike characteristics. With rd,s and a hudu on the front it steered fine. I like the wider q factor, and I would always choose my fat bike with the widest tires possible for trail blazing.

Ohhh, and Larry doesn't hold a candle to Nate in the snow.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I guess my only fat experience is with a 9zero, but I am going to have to disagree with you about the fat bike characteristics. With rd,s and a hudu on the front it steered fine. I like the wider q factor, and I would always choose my fat bike with the widest tires possible for trail blazing.

Ohhh, and Larry doesn't hold a candle to Nate in the snow.
    Are you saying you would choose your fatbike over a Krampus for trail blazing????

Cuz if you are, there is something wrong with your Krampus!!!!!!!

I have a Pugsley and a Krampus, so I am able to compare. I have also ridden a 9zero7, and Fatback fatbikes, so I am not just comparing to the Pugs.

Dont get me wrong here, I love my Pugsley, and I used to ride it more seasons than just winter, BUT, now that I have the Krampus, the fatbike is parked for 3 seasons.

mtbr member
    I've had a moonie and of course I have a krampus, they are equally entertaining in the dirt in my opinion.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ale50ale View Post
    Are you saying you would choose your fatbike over a Krampus for trail blazing????

I have a Pugsley and a Krampus, so I am able to compare. I have also ridden a 9zero7, and Fatback fatbikes, so I am not just comparing to the Pugs.

Dont get me wrong here, I love my Pugsley, and I used to ride it more seasons than just winter, BUT, now that I have the Krampus, the fatbike is parked for 3 seasons.
    Same, I have a 907 and loved the big tires. I found it just a little too much for the summer so I build up a Krampus and sold my FS bike. It is a true blast I am so fast on it I sometimes scare myself ........ no more skinny tires for me. I just quit cold turkey no withdrawal symptoms what so ever.

mtbr member
    had a dream last night i was blasting a krampus down a trail... (the bike, not the goat headed bampot!)

think im gonna need to get a knard at least. seems to be working out on mud for folk (and its not crazy muck here yet) cant wait 'til the dirt wizard gets here, ill just get one on when that happens.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Heres some 29er footage

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ale50ale View Post

I don't have a krampus!! That is why I am asking about the differences silly!

I just can't see how you would want anything less than 4" tires on a forest floor. But, I will need to talk the Lbs into letting me try one out.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    In a few weeks I will order the parts of my Krampus

Most parts are selected but since Velocity presented the Dually 45 mm rim I ask myself which is the better rim: the rabbithole or the dually rim???

When a wheel is built with a rabbithole rim - how is the spoke pattern? Do the spokes from the left hub side go to the left rim side or do they "cross" na go to the other side? How are the spokes at the Surly on the stock Krampus fixed?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DerBergschreck View Post
    In a few weeks I will order the parts of my Krampus

Most parts are selected but since Velocity presented the Dually 45 mm rim I ask myself which is the better rim: the rabbithole or the dually rim???
    You can't buy the Dually from Velocity yet so it depends how long you can wait. If you need to buy rims in the short term you may not have them as an option.

I run Surly Rabbit Holes on my Krampus and have used a couple different Surly rims on my Pugsley.

I have Velocity rims on several of my bikes including P35s on my main MTB.

From a quality/performance perspective I have no issues with either variety of rim.

The offset Rabbit Hole spoke holes give you some flexibility on how you build up your wheels.

Weight wise they are both in the same range and since the Dually has not been sold yet it's not 100% that it will weigh what the spec sheet says.

They look quite different which may appeal to you one way or the other. You can use coloured rim tape with the Rabbit Hole if you want to have them stand out or run black if you want to look stealthy. The Dually comes in black or silver same as the RH's.

The Dually's are double walled vs. the single wall RH's. That could matter to you, but the full range of Surly singe walled rims have been used hard for a number of years with no real complaints so it's not something I would suggest will have real world implications for ride feel or durability.

Some people complain about Velocity's other wide rims [like the P35] being very soft and easily damaged. I have used mine quite hard on chunky terrain with low pressure tires and have not had an issue.

Both the Dually and the RH can be setup tubeless, but neither offer any proper tubeless design like the Stan's rims for example.

RH's are 50mm wide and Dually's are 45mm wide. I doubt that will result in much difference in practice.

RH's MSRP for $150 and the Dually MSRPs for $133...which is a wash to me.

At this point, until we get some real world feedback on the Dually's, it wouldn't bother me either way which rims I used. The RH's have an edge I guess because they are a known quantity, but it's not like Velocity is making their first set of bicycle rims. They put out a solid product and the Dually is not likely to be an exception.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Vik's answer is excellent. I would only add that the Dually is tubeless-ready while the RH is not and even has the large holes that add a step.