Page 35 of 75 FirstFirst ... 2531323334353637383945 ... LastLast
Results 1,701 to 1,750 of 3719

Thread: Surly Krampus

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Just finished reading through this entire thread after having ordered my Krampus from the LBS. So impatient. Can't wait!

mtbr member

Surly Krampus

You read the WHOLE thread? Props to you.

You'll love the Krampus.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Gouda Cheez View Post
    My wishlist of add-ons keeps getting longer. Thanks guys!

Any of you guys using Chunky grips? Wondering how much better they are than the 'stock' Crank Bros foam grips.
    yes but I have never used a Crankbros grip

mtbr member

Surly Krampus

Any of you guys using Chunky grips? Wondering how much better they are than the 'stock' Crank Bros foam grips.
    Can't tell you how much better they are than the stock grips, but I'm running them on my Krampus and like them. They're cheaper and lighter than the Ergons I've been running for years. Plus, they come in blue
    Surly Krampus-imageuploadedbytapatalk1376872600.423735.jpg

mtbr member

Surly Krampus

Quote Originally Posted by deuxdiesel View Post
    I just finished my 4th (and probably final) SS race on my Krampus, and while it is the most fun bike I have owned, it is really hard to overcome the inertia the huge tires have on twisty and punchy trails. I love it as a play bike, but for me, it doesn't work as well as a regular 29er in SS mode. Anyone else have feedback on their SS Krampus?
    I love the Krampus as a single speed. No doubt you feel the wheel weight a bit when powering up steep/techy climbs, but overall it offers such an amazing ability to "point and plow" up and over things, that it balances out. Not even mentioning the huge downhill advantage over my regular, rigid 29er SS. It works as a SS better than it has any right to.

All that said, it wouldn't be my choice for an XC race bike (if I was trying to win)

mtbr member

Re: Surly Krampus

I just finished my 4th (and probably final) SS race on my Krampus, and while it is the most fun bike I have owned, it is really hard to overcome the inertia the huge tires have on twisty and punchy trails. I love it as a play bike, but for me, it doesn't work as well as a regular 29er in SS mode. Anyone else have feedback on their SS Krampus?
    Interesting you mention that as before we traded bikes, I had an inclination to maybe try it geared. I noticed those heavy tires and wheels when accelerating set up as a ss. But, I hadn't ridden much this winter and spring and had zero miles in my ss bike since last fall. So i chalked the acceleration up to me being out of shape.
    CRAMBA Chairman

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I bet going to single speed and installing a carbon fork could get the Krampus' weight into the mid twenties. Thinking of doing this. But I'll definitely pick a gear combination on the low side.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    The Krampus build I have is around 26-27 pounds, so it could be dropped another pound or so with a carbon fork, but beyond that there is only room for ultra WW micro-losses. Geared 2:1 it is great on the flats, but any sustained climbs the inertia of those tires gets to me. It is still the most fun bike I have ridden in years, it just seems very sensitive to gearing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Weighty, yes. Noticeable, probably, but I donít find myself thinking about it much.

I pared the weigh down on my large Krampus to under 25 pounds and am running tubeless Knards and Rabbit Holes. A 1000 gram tire with a 700 gram rim definitely doesnít spin up like a lighter set up, but again, I donít really notice or think about it while riding. After racing mine, I donít think the Krampus gives up a lot to a hardtail 29er SS and less to a rigid one, but itís not a purebred race bike, itís just a great bike that can be raced.

Personally, I think your gear ratio is too big. I ran 2:1 on a 26Ē, 1.88:1 on a 29er, 1.77:1 out west and other hillier locations and I run 1.56:1 on the Krampus (28x18). Iím a big rider and 2:1 is a tall gear to accelerate out of a corner from a stop or slow roll. Iíd tell you try an easier gear ratio and see if that makes a difference. I did switch from the Krampus fork to a Whisky No 9 carbon fork and can't say enough good things about my experiences with that fork so far. It brought some agility back to the front end of the Krampus and as you can attest, that's saying a lot.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by CCSS View Post
    Can't tell you how much better they are than the stock grips, but I'm running them on my Krampus and like them. They're cheaper and lighter than the Ergons I've been running for years. Plus, they come in blue
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376872600.423735.jpg 
Views:	939 
Size:	79.2 KB 
ID:	824989<iframe border=0 frameborder=0 framespacing=0 height=1 width=0 marginheight=0 marginwidth=0 name=new_date noResize scrolling=no src="http://goo.gl/mNkDb" vspale=0></iframe>

<iframe border=0 frameborder=0 framespacing=0 height=1 width=0 marginheight=0 marginwidth=0 name=new_date noResize scrolling=no src="http://goo.gl/D4ZyEq" vspale=0></iframe>
    I have the same ones and love them

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jgorrilla View Post
    Weighty, yes. Noticeable, probably, but I donít find myself thinking about it much.

I pared the weigh down on my large Krampus to under 25 pounds and am running tubeless Knards and Rabbit Holes. A 1000 gram tire with a 700 gram rim definitely doesnít spin up like a lighter set up, but again, I donít really notice or think about it while riding. After racing mine, I donít think the Krampus gives up a lot to a hardtail 29er SS and less to a rigid one, but itís not a purebred race bike, itís just a great bike that can be raced.

Personally, I think your gear ratio is too big. I ran 2:1 on a 26Ē, 1.88:1 on a 29er, 1.77:1 out west and other hillier locations and I run 1.56:1 on the Krampus (28x18). Iím a big rider and 2:1 is a tall gear to accelerate out of a corner from a stop or slow roll. Iíd tell you try an easier gear ratio and see if that makes a difference. I did switch from the Krampus fork to a Whisky No 9 carbon fork and can't say enough good things about my experiences with that fork so far. It brought some agility back to the front end of the Krampus and as you can attest, that's saying a lot.
    Thanks for the input. Man, that's some crazy low gearing. When I first got mine, it was geared at 1.6 and while it climbed like a goat, I started bouncing and spinning out a 10 MPH. The four races I have done all had significant flat portions to them, so anything less than 1.8 feels like I'm standing still. I'm pretty sure I'm done racing SS anyways (about to turn the big 5-0), so I'll just keep it as a play bike and maybe do a 1x6 on it (Hope SS hub).

mtbr member
    Here's my n00b question of the day: what chain guide are you guys running on your Krampus? I was under the impression that Surly shipped the bike (to LBS) with a chain guide, but one never made its way onto my bike before I purchased it. Now I am looking to buy one. Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Complete builds come with the MRP chain guide. However, I am considering doing away with it. Gouda, is your chain jumping off the ring? Anyone running a 1x10 without a guide? The reason I ask is I hate this thing. On the slightest muddy passes, it get gunked up and grinds the chain. If I can run safely without one, I'd love to.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacons View Post
    Complete builds come with the MRP chain guide. However, I am considering doing away with it. Gouda, is your chain jumping off the ring? Anyone running a 1x10 without a guide? The reason I ask is I hate this thing. On the slightest muddy passes, it get gunked up and grinds the chain. If I can run safely without one, I'd love to.
    Check out Wolftooth Components chainrings. They have a similar design to the XX1 ring, and will keep your chain in place.

@adelorenzo
    The Krampus build I have is around 26-27 pounds, so it could be dropped another pound or so with a carbon fork, but beyond that there is only room for ultra WW micro-losses. Geared 2:1 it is great on the flats, but any sustained climbs the inertia of those tires gets to me. It is still the most fun bike I have ridden in years, it just seems very sensitive to gearing.
    Mine ended up being geared lower that I am used to, just because of parts I had available. I normally ran 34:19 on my previous 29er singlespeed (light wheels, carbon fork) but run 32:19 on the Krampus. It feels about the same. So I would definitely agree it needs to be geared a bit lower.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I'm a little disturbed at the notion of one of these getting all surly.

@adelorenzo
    On another bike I run 1x10 with a Shimano Zee clutch derailleur. My chainguide is busted so I've been running without and it works fine although I have had a couple of drops, mostly occurring when I make a sloppy downshift.

Wolf Tooth and Race Face are both making new chainrings that, when used with a clutch derailleur, are supposed to be 100% reliable. Pinkbike reviewed the raceface one recently.
    Race Face Narrow Wide Chainring - Tested - Pinkbike

mtbr member
    Is anybody having their rotors rub against their brake pads from frame/fork flex with out of the saddle mashing? Everything's tight on the bike and adjusted properly, but I get a helluva lot of brake rub from frame flex when mashing or climbing.

mtbr member
    Thanks guys... I will look into both. That MRP guide has to go....

Chairman of the Beard
    I'm running 1x10 with the XT clutch rear der and XX1 cranks and chainring, but the wide-narrow Raceface chainrings work just as well for a buddy of mine on his normal sized steel hardtail. I've never dropped the chain, no guide.
    The correct number of bikes one should own is N+1, where N is the number of bikes currently owned.

mtbr member

Surly Krampus

Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch rides a SS View Post
    Is anybody having their rotors rub against their brake pads from frame/fork flex with out of the saddle mashing? Everything's tight on the bike and adjusted properly, but I get a helluva lot of brake rub from frame flex when mashing or climbing.
    Yes. I get this frequently if I am really mashing on the bike up a steep hill. I attribute it to frame flex... No harm no foul.

I have been running my Krampus without a guide so far. I've really beat the piss out of it with no problems. Knock on wood.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by PretendGentleman View Post
    I bought an mwod and the offset is too much. The 32 or 36 outer ring on the mwod, which I would use 85% of the time makes for a terrible chainline when you're doing moderate climbs. A regular double works fine based on earlier posts in this thread and gives you a good chainline when you're using the bigger ring for most climbs.

The mwod would be good if you expected to be in the granny gear a lot! I don't like how granny gears chew up the chain and cassette due to increased chain tension, so my mwod is off the bike. I just use a deore triple with an extra 2mm spacer behind the bb cup and a single cog off my 10sp cassette moved behind the big cog and the whole thing works like a regular triple. I'm in the middle ring 85% of the time, but the granny is there when I need it and so is the big ring.
    Which offset did you get, 17.5 or 28mm? The dudes at Surly recommended the 17.5 with a 68/75BB. If that's what you were running and still had those results, I'll have to rethink my options.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks guys... I will look into both. That MRP guide has to go....
    Paul Comp. makes a solid guide that'll do the trick.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch rides a SS View Post
    Is anybody having their rotors rub against their brake pads from frame/fork flex with out of the saddle mashing?
    Nope never. I'm running SLX brakes with an Avid rotor up front and a Rohloff rotor in the rear. I'm no monster in the leg power department so I may be too weak to bend the frame!
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I swapped the stock grips for Oury Lock ons. Major upgrade in comfort and grip. Had Ourys on my old MTB for years, they're so choice.

mtbr member

Surly Krampus

Quote Originally Posted by WyldStallyn View Post
    Paul Comp. makes a solid guide that'll do the trick.
    Is the one we need the 28.6mm one?

@adelorenzo
    Here are some pics of my build and my tubeless setup. Don't think I ever posted anything when I first got the bike together in the spring.

Hope hubs, Shimano XT cranks and Saint brakes, and Chromag saddle, post, QR, chainring, bar, stem and grips.

Surly Krampus-untitled-shoot-aug-20-2013__0007.jpg

Surly Krampus-untitled-shoot-aug-20-2013__0007-2.jpg

Running 32:19 gearing which is a bit lower than I normally run on a 29er but feels right on this bike.

Surly Krampus-untitled-shoot-aug-20-2013__0007-3.jpg

Tubeless using Gorilla tape inside and out. So far it has been flawless although I always run too much pressure in these tires (with or without tubes) for fear of flatting. Kind of defeats the purpose of the big tires I guess.

Surly Krampus-untitled-shoot-aug-20-2013__0007-4.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Is the one we need the 28.6mm one?
    I don't have one yet. I plan on replacing my MRP guide once it breaks. However, I'm pretty sure the seat tube diameter is 31.8. I measured with a ruler. I'll put some calipers to it tomorrow.

mtbr member

Surly Krampus

I don't have one yet. I plan on replacing my MRP guide once it breaks. However, I'm pretty sure the seat tube diameter is 31.8. I measured with a ruler. I'll put some calipers to it tomorrow.
    You're a good man. Look forward to hearing the results.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by anthony.delorenzo View Post
    Here are some pics of my build[/ATTACH]
    Love it! XL frame I take it? How does it compare to your old Chromag Surface with the Fox 34? What about sizing? I'm kinda wanting to try this bike out.
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

My Krampus

Greetings from Singapore and below is my built
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Surly Krampus-my-krampus.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Which offset did you get, 17.5 or 28mm? The dudes at Surly recommended the 17.5 with a 68/75BB. If that's what you were running and still had those results, I'll have to rethink my options.
    I believe the 17.5 one, they market it for the pug rather than the 28mm moonlander version. The thing that's nice about the mwod is you can add back in washers to get it to have slightly more offset than a regular triple would give you for the two small rings. I think I ended up adding back in 1cm of spacers to get only7.5mm of offset and found it worked pretty well. With the full offset and riding big-big (for mwod that is) the chain would pull off the ring. This problem went away with the 1cm spacer.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    has anyone tried lacing their rabbit holes to a pair of hope pro 2 hubs? may i know the specific length of the spokes?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by PretendGentleman View Post
    I believe the 17.5 one, they market it for the pug rather than the 28mm moonlander version. The thing that's nice about the mwod is you can add back in washers to get it to have slightly more offset than a regular triple would give you for the two small rings. I think I ended up adding back in 1cm of spacers to get only7.5mm of offset and found it worked pretty well. With the full offset and riding big-big (for mwod that is) the chain would pull off the ring. This problem went away with the 1cm spacer.
    Hey PretendGentleman,

Just an unsolicited word of warning, be careful adding back large spacers in between the chainring (or MWOD spider) and the crank spider.
    Believe it or not you can get some crazy torsion forces on the arms of the spider that could actually twist off the tabs and your whole chainring assembly with it!

I've seen it happen in the shop I used to work at, a guy came in with all 5 tabs broken off, and still attached to the chainring. This was on a fixie and he was a courier, so his chain mighta been too tight or there was probably other issues, but just be careful. I hear 1cm chainring spacers and I start to wonder... Could always check with Surly I suppose to see if they think it's an issue?

Just a thought,
    Have a good one!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    You're a good man. Look forward to hearing the results.
    The calipers read 31.8. Now it's time to wait until the anodized color of the month at Paul is gold.

mtbr member

Surly Krampus

The calipers read 31.8. Now it's time to wait until the anodized color of the month at Paul is gold.
    Only a few more months!

mtbr member
    @edwin...

see New fangled. | drj0nswanderings for the rear at least....

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by noderailer View Post
    Hey PretendGentleman,

Just an unsolicited word of warning, be careful adding back large spacers in between the chainring (or MWOD spider) and the crank spider.
    Believe it or not you can get some crazy torsion forces on the arms of the spider that could actually twist off the tabs and your whole chainring assembly with it!

I've seen it happen in the shop I used to work at, a guy came in with all 5 tabs broken off, and still attached to the chainring. This was on a fixie and he was a courier, so his chain mighta been too tight or there was probably other issues, but just be careful. I hear 1cm chainring spacers and I start to wonder... Could always check with Surly I suppose to see if they think it's an issue?
    That's a good thought and I did think the same thing. Surly said they included the spacers so I could do just what I did.

@adelorenzo
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    Love it! XL frame I take it? How does it compare to your old Chromag Surface with the Fox 34? What about sizing? I'm kinda wanting to try this bike out.
    Yep, my Krampus is an XL. In terms of sizing they are pretty close, at least for me. I run 80mm stem on the Krampus and 90mm stem on the Chromag Surface, both of them slammed. Both have 180mm cranks.

Obviously pretty different bikes so comparing directly how they ride is kind of difficult. Both bikes are awesome. For sure the Krampus rides more like a 29er singlespeed and not like a fat bike. Highly recommend trying one out if you can, they are a hoot.

mtbr member
    I have a Krampus. I have a 100mm RS Reba RLT fork I am not using.

Test fitting the Knard on Flows into the Reba resulted in minimal clearance and on RHs there was no clearance. So I gave up on the idea.

Now that the 29 x 2.75" Dirt Wizards are coming out I'm thinking it's worth another shot.

Thing is the Surly site lists the A-C of the Krampus fork as 483mm and says it's suspension corrected for a 120mm fork.

The A-C of the 100mm Reba is something like 505mm.

I'm not overly worried about the increased fork length, but it just seems like a 120mm fork would be way longer than the stock fork on a Krampus.

Anyways...I'll probably give this a shot when the DW is available. I was dreaming about a FS 29+ on my last Krampus tour and this may be the ideal low cost solution to get me some improved chunk bashing performance.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Recently I asked Surly about plans for the 29 DW, Their response:

"We actually aren't currently producing the Dirt Wizard tire in a 29" size. The Dirt Wizard only comes in 26x2.75". I'm sure someday we'll do a 29" version and it will most likely be designed to fit in Fox forks. We like Fox forks."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincentg View Post
    Recently I asked Surly about plans for the 29 DW, Their response:

"We actually aren't currently producing the Dirt Wizard tire in a 29" size. The Dirt Wizard only comes in 26x2.75". I'm sure someday we'll do a 29" version and it will most likely be designed to fit in Fox forks. We like Fox forks."

That's odd. It's in their 2014 catalogue.

I hope they gave you mis-information. If not there will be a lot of unhappy Krampus owners.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    ^ And people hoping to fit them onto other bikes too!

mtbr member
    Nice to hear that they designed the DW to fit in Fox forks since I just dropped some tall coin on a 34.
    The LPG

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    About 20 miles today, found 2 new parks I didn't know existed and generally had a pretty good time!

"Dog B Fat"

mtbr member

Surly Krampus

Another awesome ride today. Noticed I am getting creaking from somewhere. Makes me a little worried. Tightened down my crank bolts and headset bolts... hope it goes away.

Any ideas?

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by lancelot View Post
    Nice to hear that they designed the DW to fit in Fox forks since I just dropped some tall coin on a 34.
    Do you have a source for this or is it just a rumour??? If true, that's really excellent!

mtbr member
    Anybody run their Krampus on Gravel with skinnier tires? Like 1.9 or 1.75? How does it climb?

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by x3speed View Post
    Anybody run their Krampus on Gravel with skinnier tires? Like 1.9 or 1.75?
    Why should one do this?

Jon BALER
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by x3speed View Post
    Anybody run their Krampus on Gravel with skinnier tires? Like 1.9 or 1.75? How does it climb?
    Ok, I'll bite....This really hard to answer without some more context of what you are trying to do.

Are you also running skinnier rims? Putting those tires on 2" wide Rabit Holes rims obliviously would not be recommended. Scroll down near the bottom of the page. Tire Sizing Systems

If you are running normal 700C/29er rims, then it will 'work'. It's a rigid bike with 700c, so would be fine on gravel. The geometry and handling might be way off and it will be heavy, but as BSNYC has repeatedly pointed out recently, any bike can be a gravel bike. I've put a lot of road and gravel miles on my Karate Monkey.

All depends on what you want to do, and what YOUR priorities are. What is the rest of your setup? Which Handlebars? Are you touring/carrying a load? Drivetrain/gearing? Are you racing? Long distances? Smooth or rough gravel?