Surly Krampus

Printable View

  • 04-15-2016
    Sandman29
    reamer41,

    At almost 6'2" you are probably a large. If you like a shorter top tube you can get a short stem. Hopefully, Surly has a Large Krampus or Krampus OPS for you.

    Since you have to get your Surly through a local bike shop, that shop can measure you properly. If you are wearing 32" inseam, your real inseam (biking inseam) is probably between 34" to 35". Generally pants have a shorter inseam to give your "Man Parts" some room to breath.

    For many people the top of their saddle to the middle of their bottom bracket is about 88.3% of the length of their biking inseam. So, at 34" to 35" inch inseam that is about 30" to 30.9" inches from top of saddle to center of bottom bracket.

    By the way, I am about the same height as you, and I would definately ride a Large.

    On another subject, I don't know if this is the case, but I would not doubt it if Surly makes changes over time on all their bikes to give them the same the drop outs that are on the Surly Wednesday. The Wednesdays dropouts are thru axel that can be used as single speed or geared without swapping out dropouts like on the OPS. The Wednesday also has a vertical cut out on the inside to make the wheel come on and off easier than a typical horizonal dropout. I find the Wednesday dropout to have great lateral stiffness. So, my guess is that this is the change they will bring to the Krampus.
  • 04-15-2016
    reamer41
    Great info Sandman.

    I'll measure my seat to bb center on my other bikes for grins.

    Unfortunately my shop says no larges available, and Surly says availability in October.

    No rush....


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 04-16-2016
    jonshonda
    Reamer, I am 6'2" with a longer torso and love my Large. An XL has a pretty long reach and ett.
  • 04-16-2016
    jonshonda
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by sslos View Post
    Yeeeaahhhh... I'm not sure I'd classify 17.5" as particularly short.
    I'd hope for some tweaking to get under 17".
    I don't know if that's feasible while maintaining the versatility that make Surlys so great, though.

    Los

    For some reason I thought the non-ops would be shorter when slammed forward in the drops, but it looks like that might not be true. Just measured 17.5" when slammed forward.

    imho there is no reason to go shorter. I can pop the front end up at will, and it climbs great. I had a Nimble 9 with very short stays and really didn't like how it climbed at all. Wayyy to easy to get the front wheel off the ground when climbing hard, which meant it was a conscious effort to ensure the front wheel tracked correctly.
  • 04-16-2016
    sslos
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    imho there is no reason to go shorter. I can pop the front end up at will, and it climbs great. I had a Nimble 9 with very short stays and really didn't like how it climbed at all. Wayyy to easy to get the front wheel off the ground when climbing hard, which meant it was a conscious effort to ensure the front wheel tracked correctly.

    Good points, especially considering your height. I never had any issues with the front end of my Nimble 9 coming up, but then again I only had it as a single speed.

    Los
  • 04-16-2016
    AJR730
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by reamer41 View Post
    I've exchanged emails with Bob @ Surly regarding availability of large Krampus and Krampus OPS frames.

    "The Krampus is undergoing some development and will be available again in late October (both complete bikes and framesets). The "Ops" version will no longer be available, just the standard Krampus."



    .

    Waiting until Oct might kill me... You gotta keep working him and find out what the changes will be!!
  • 04-16-2016
    geraldooka
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    For some reason I thought the non-ops would be shorter when slammed forward in the drops, but it looks like that might not be true. Just measured 17.5" when slammed forward.

    imho there is no reason to go shorter. I can pop the front end up at will, and it climbs great. I had a Nimble 9 with very short stays and really didn't like how it climbed at all. Wayyy to easy to get the front wheel off the ground when climbing hard, which meant it was a conscious effort to ensure the front wheel tracked correctly.

    It's shorter, even with the new mds chips the original horizontal drops are shorter by several mm. I noted the exact amount at some point then moved on. If the shortest rear Krampus is important to you then it would have to be the green frame.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • 04-16-2016
    *OneSpeed*
    4 Attachment(s)
    Finally, the maiden voyage of my new Krampus. great day for a ride and the bike was a ton of fun. swapped the tires to DW front and Bomboloni rear, otherwise stock. trail was very muddy, rocky, rooty stuff. got a flat from a thorn but otherwise a perfect day.

    the 36t chainring was way to big for the hill/conditions but it will be swapped for a 32t NW. Ghetto tubeless is next, and SLX brakes. when i scrape together a little more money i'll upgrade my lefty fork to PBR, add a P321 clamp and throw it on there. last will be a dropper, then i'll be done.

    pics in the wild.

    Attachment 1064332Attachment 1064333Attachment 1064334Attachment 1064335
  • 04-16-2016
    Muirenn
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    Finally, the maiden voyage of my new Krampus. great day for a ride and the bike was a ton of fun. swapped the tires to DW front and Bomboloni rear, otherwise stock. trail was very muddy, rocky, rooty stuff. got a flat from a thorn but otherwise a perfect day.

    the 36t chainring was way to big for the hill/conditions but it will be swapped for a 32t NW. Ghetto tubeless is next, and SLX brakes. when i scrape together a little more money i'll upgrade my lefty fork to PBR, add a P321 clamp and throw it on there. last will be a dropper, then i'll be done.

    pics in the wild.

    Attachment 1064332Attachment 1064333Attachment 1064334Attachment 1064335

    Great pics. Love the 'tire changing' stand!
  • 04-16-2016
    sXeXBMXer
    What beautiful terrain! yours is 3 weeks younger than mine!!! I would love to go down one of those ski slopes....
  • 04-16-2016
    *OneSpeed*
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    Great pics. Love the 'tire changing' stand!

    thanks, the tree beat the 3-4 inches of mud that was all around!

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by sXeXBMXer View Post
    What beautiful terrain! yours is 3 weeks younger than mine!!! I would love to go down one of those ski slopes....

    yeah, it's a great place to ride. i have to travel to get there but it's worth it. the climb took a good 1.5+ hours, the descent took maybe 10 minutes and made me pucker a little on a new bike and without suspension.
  • 04-16-2016
    Muirenn
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    thanks, the tree beat the 3-4 inches of mud that was all around!



    yeah, it's a great place to ride. i have to travel to get there but it's worth it. the climb took a good 1.5+ hours, the descent took maybe 10 minutes and made me pucker a little on a new bike and without suspension.

    Like that yours is also a Single Speed. My Krampus is my first SS since my used Schwinn Sting Ray in 1976. (My first bike. :D). Normally a roadie, or CX, but I wanted a bike that I could just, ride. Anytime. Anywhere. And I love to be off-road. This is also my first mountain bike. Have it set up with 32 X 19. I live at sea-level. Seems like it was a good choice. (Read, 'guess,' I got lucky on my first try. Built it up from a frame set).

    Anyway! No mountain bikers here, so no one else to talk about my Surly with. :)
  • 04-18-2016
    jonshonda
    Took the Krampious out on the local trails and had some fun. I need to look at my front wheel/brakes a bit as I am getting some contact between the spokes and XT brake caliper.

    Its ALWAYS something...I tell ya!
  • 04-18-2016
    bikepunk13
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    I need to look at my front wheel/brakes a bit as I am getting some contact between the spokes and XT brake caliper.

    I went to mount some of the TRP Spyke's this weekend and the spokes on the the front wheel rubbed the caliper. I will have to build up the new wheels and hope the center drilling and higher flange will give me enough clearance.
  • 04-18-2016
    vikb
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    For some reason I thought the non-ops would be shorter when slammed forward in the drops, but it looks like that might not be true. Just measured 17.5" when slammed forward.

    imho there is no reason to go shorter. I can pop the front end up at will, and it climbs great. I had a Nimble 9 with very short stays and really didn't like how it climbed at all. Wayyy to easy to get the front wheel off the ground when climbing hard, which meant it was a conscious effort to ensure the front wheel tracked correctly.

    Some people will prefer the shorter CS and some won't. The one MTBR member who had a green Krampus then sold it to get the black MDS version sold the MDS version and bought another green frame just to get back the handling of the shorter CS Krampus.

    I run my green Krampus as close to slammed as I can with my IGH. With the big wheels and long TT I'll take as short a rear end as I can get to keep it maneuverable.

    Surly has posted about a new revised Krampus coming out this fall. I won't be surprised if they move the MDS dropouts up close to the BB so you can have the interchangeable dropout versatility and the shortest practical CS.
  • 04-18-2016
    *OneSpeed*
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    Some people will prefer the shorter CS and some won't. The one MTBR member who had a green Krampus then sold it to get the black MDS version sold the MDS version and bought another green frame just to get back the handling of the shorter CS Krampus.

    that's comforting to hear. there were no XL OPS left when i bought mine, which i wanted, so i ended up with the standard green version. Not a big deal for me, i would prefer TA's, but as long as i can easily convert to SS i'm happy. I can always add a bolt on hub if i feel it's necessary.
  • 04-19-2016
    vikb
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    that's comforting to hear. there were no XL OPS left when i bought mine, which i wanted, so i ended up with the standard green version. Not a big deal for me, i would prefer TA's, but as long as i can easily convert to SS i'm happy. I can always add a bolt on hub if i feel it's necessary.

    I don't think you lost out getting a green Krampus. I'll keep my frame no matter what comes down the pipe from Surly and other companies in the 29+ world. It's a classic as much anything can be in a niche this new.

    That said I'm hopeful Surly's new and improved 2016/17 Krampus is the one to rule them all with a bunch of MDS options that let you adjust CS length as well as run the various hub/axle standards that are available.

    Looking at where 29ers are going if Surly doesn't give the MK3 Krampus the ability to run short CS's it's going to end up a dinosaur. If people can select from more than one CS option that would be cool, but one of them needs to be short in the context of bikes like the Stache, Lenz, The Following and the Riot. Not necessarily as short given the size of the 29+, but in that range within the design limits of hardtail 29+.
  • 04-19-2016
    jonshonda
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by bikepunk13 View Post
    I went to mount some of the TRP Spyke's this weekend and the spokes on the the front wheel rubbed the caliper. I will have to build up the new wheels and hope the center drilling and higher flange will give me enough clearance.

    I have been thinking about going with a Whiskey fork for the front, but that required a new hub for 15TA. I am not sure that a Whiskey would do much, but who doesn't like dreaming about cool new stuff? I am not sure why Surly chose IS mounts instead of PM on the fork, but I will try having the IS mounted faced/shaved down a bit for clearance.

    I am really looking into a FS 29+ because I love the feelz that the 29+ gives me. Going down to a 2.4" on my Tallboy just seems silly. Maybe I will pony up for the 2.5" Minion DHF.
  • 04-19-2016
    *OneSpeed*
    5 Attachment(s)
    made a couple adjustments and modifications and hit the trail today. set up tires tubeless, removed chain guide and installed 32t NW chainring. did a 21 mile loop with 2,000ft of climbing. absolutely a riot! hilarious!

    I got a much better feel for the bike today on my local trails. learned a few things and had a lot of fun. the first section of my ride was very tight, tree lined trails carved into a hillside. the wide bars slowed me to a crawl through much of it. the slacker HTA and wide bars (and possibly a longer wheelbase) make the bike turn slower than my Kona Unit which is snappy by comparison. left that section feeling kind of MEH.

    next was another MTB park but more buff trails intended for beginner/intermediate riders with more rock piles, log piles, and a couple small drops. the key here was that the trails were not as tight allowing me to be much more aggressive and free. all of the sudden i realized i was having a lot of fun. the bike just wanted to climb rocks and logs, and so did I.

    the frame is STOUT, inspiring confidence on small jumps and drops. there were a couple little step down/drops that i would normally roll down that i found myself hucking over and over while laughing. I could feel the extra heft in the wheels in the climbs. my natural instinct, and legs, want to hammer every climb. this wore off after the first hour or so, the wheels are heavy enough that i just couldn't push as hard as i wanted. I'm not in great shape yet, just surprised how much i noticed it. anyone who says they climb just as fast is full of it.

    brakes work great, i have SLX brakes ready to go on but i am not in a hurry, the BB7's are fine for now. Tires were nearly flawless, DW/Bomboloni, my only complaint was that i broke the rear tire loose repeatedly on standing climbs with loose over hard. i need more gear for the punchy climbs, either a 30t chainring, or a 42t on the cassette. the only way for me to make the climbs was to stand. anyway, i think i'm going to flip the Bomboloni around backwards and see if it helps. anyone try that yet?

    got over a couple logs on steep climbs that i hadn't made before. also it's worth noting that after i got through that tight section i felt right at home with the wide bars. I have no desire to cut them down, i'll deal with it through the tight stuff because i like it so much everywhere else. by the end of the ride i was used to the way the bike handles. it requires more body english to maneuver. just turns a little slower, it's kind of like turn the bars and wait... ok, now we can carry on. not bad, just different.

    all in all tons of fun. looking forward to doing it again soon. sorry for lots of words.

    pic time.
    Attachment 1064993

    Attachment 1064994

    Attachment 1064995

    Attachment 1064996

    Attachment 1064997
  • 04-19-2016
    temporoad
    nice trails, where does the power come from for the lights on the bridge?
  • 04-19-2016
    *OneSpeed*
    lol, all that shit and you notice x-mas lights on a bridge?

    there's a restaurant next to it.
  • 04-19-2016
    gregclimbs
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    Some people will prefer the shorter CS and some won't. The one MTBR member who had a green Krampus then sold it to get the black MDS version sold the MDS version and bought another green frame just to get back the handling of the shorter CS Krampus.

    It's my understanding that the both versions have the same max/min cs length. Is there some confirmation that green has shorter cs length? If so, by how much?

    Thx,

    G
  • 04-19-2016
    Afun
    So the green Krampus complete comes with a 36 tooth chain ring? ...not 32?
  • 04-19-2016
    sXeXBMXer
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    made a couple adjustments and modifications and hit the trail today. set up tires tubeless, removed chain guide and installed 32t NW chainring. did a 21 mile loop with 2,000ft of climbing. absolutely a riot! hilarious!

    I got a much better feel for the bike today on my local trails. learned a few things and had a lot of fun. the first section of my ride was very tight, tree lined trails carved into a hillside. the wide bars slowed me to a crawl through much of it. the slacker HTA and wide bars (and possibly a longer wheelbase) make the bike turn slower than my Kona Unit which is snappy by comparison. left that section feeling kind of MEH.

    next was another MTB park but more buff trails intended for beginner/intermediate riders with more rock piles, log piles, and a couple small drops. the key here was that the trails were not as tight allowing me to be much more aggressive and free. all of the sudden i realized i was having a lot of fun. the bike just wanted to climb rocks and logs, and so did I.

    the frame is STOUT, inspiring confidence on small jumps and drops. there were a couple little step down/drops that i would normally roll down that i found myself hucking over and over while laughing. I could feel the extra heft in the wheels in the climbs. my natural instinct, and legs, want to hammer every climb. this wore off after the first hour or so, the wheels are heavy enough that i just couldn't push as hard as i wanted. I'm not in great shape yet, just surprised how much i noticed it. anyone who says they climb just as fast is full of it.

    brakes work great, i have SLX brakes ready to go on but i am not in a hurry, the BB7's are fine for now. Tires were nearly flawless, DW/Bomboloni, my only complaint was that i broke the rear tire loose repeatedly on standing climbs with loose over hard. i need more gear for the punchy climbs, either a 30t chainring, or a 42t on the cassette. the only way for me to make the climbs was to stand. anyway, i think i'm going to flip the Bomboloni around backwards and see if it helps. anyone try that yet?

    got over a couple logs on steep climbs that i hadn't made before. also it's worth noting that after i got through that tight section i felt right at home with the wide bars. I have no desire to cut them down, i'll deal with it through the tight stuff because i like it so much everywhere else. by the end of the ride i was used to the way the bike handles. it requires more body english to maneuver. just turns a little slower, it's kind of like turn the bars and wait... ok, now we can carry on. not bad, just different.

    all in all tons of fun. looking forward to doing it again soon. sorry for lots of words.

    pic time.
    Attachment 1064993

    Attachment 1064994

    Attachment 1064995

    Attachment 1064996

    Attachment 1064997

    Sweet pics; sweet bike; sweet trails;

    in my first couple rides, I feel like the handle bars were also the hardest thing to get used to. Coming from a very old Trek 830, it is a big change. So far not a big enough one to warrant going smaller yet though.

    Great review!
  • 04-20-2016
    *OneSpeed*
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Afun View Post
    So the green Krampus complete comes with a 36 tooth chain ring? ...not 32?

    a couple people told me it came with a 36t and i should plan on swapping it. i don't remember exactly who? LBS, friend, someone on here? either way, when i was removing it i noticed it was a 34t. NBD, it needs to be smaller for my trails.

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by sXeXBMXer View Post
    Sweet pics; sweet bike; sweet trails;

    in my first couple rides, I feel like the handle bars were also the hardest thing to get used to. Coming from a very old Trek 830, it is a big change. So far not a big enough one to warrant going smaller yet though.

    Great review!

    thanks, this thing is a lot of fun. my impressions were a bit different than other reviews i have read, or others just hadn't commented on certain things that stood out to me. i think starting with knobby tires may be part of it, but no way to know for sure.
  • 04-20-2016
    nitrousjunky
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by vikb View Post

    That said I'm hopeful Surly's new and improved 2016/17 Krampus is the one to rule them all with a bunch of MDS options that let you adjust CS length as well as run the various hub/axle standards that are available.

    Looking at where 29ers are going if Surly doesn't give the MK3 Krampus the ability to run short CS's it's going to end up a dinosaur. If people can select from more than one CS option that would be cool, but one of them needs to be short in the context of bikes like the Stache, Lenz, The Following and the Riot. Not necessarily as short given the size of the 29+, but in that range within the design limits of hardtail 29+.

    I agree, they need to at least get it where the MDS chips will allow the same short CS length as you can get on the green one (bare minimum). I'm watching this very closely as with a few subtle changes the Krampus could be my one to rule them all.
  • 04-22-2016
    mbanzi
    1 Attachment(s)
    Surly MDS Chip - 12mm Thru Axle Slotted with Hanger‏
    Anyone know where to find a set of Surly 12mm Thru Axle Slotted with Hanger‏ MDS Chips? I'm not able to find them anywhere locally at dealers or online. Makes me nervous that Surly is getting rid of MDS :eekster:

    Attachment 1065557
  • 04-22-2016
    Afun
    If you had the chance to buy a Krampus at this point would it be the Green or the Black?
  • 04-22-2016
    crankpuller
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Afun View Post
    If you had the chance to buy a Krampus at this point would it be the Green or the Black?

    Ops frame in green paint. The horizontal dropouts are a PITA!
  • 04-23-2016
    Afun
    Last question....once and for all is the Chainstay on the ops version longer than the regular Krampus?
  • 04-23-2016
    AJR730
    I spoke with my LBS yesterday who is an Intergalactic dealer. They called QBP and the the word was that there are no forthcoming changes to the Krampus coming this year. This contradicts the info the other member had directly from Surly (that a refreshed version was coming this Oct). I'm hoping this is just a misunderstanding between the QBP rep and Surly!
  • 04-23-2016
    vikb
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Afun View Post
    If you had the chance to buy a Krampus at this point would it be the Green or the Black?

    I'd take a Green

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Afun View Post
    Last question....once and for all is the Chainstay on the ops version longer than the regular Krampus?

    Yes and for this reason.
  • 04-23-2016
    vikb
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by AJR730 View Post
    I spoke with my LBS yesterday who is an Intergalactic dealer. They called QBP and the the word was that there are no forthcoming changes to the Krampus coming this year. This contradicts the info the other member had directly from Surly (that a refreshed version was coming this Oct). I'm hoping this is just a misunderstanding between the QBP rep and Surly!

    All we know for sure is that the green Krampus is history.

    Even if Surly announces a new improved Krampus Mk3 at I-Bike this year it could be fall 2017 before you can actually buy one.

    There is nothing wrong with looking forward to a new product announcement with hope and optimism because you love the Krampus and an update would be cool, but I sure wouldn't sell my old Krampus or not buy a current one in the hopes of waiting for the next version.
  • 04-23-2016
    *OneSpeed*
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Afun View Post
    If you had the chance to buy a Krampus at this point would it be the Green or the Black?

    if the OPS was available when i bought mine I would have gone that route. obviously it wasn't a deal breaker or i wouldn't have purchased the green version.

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by AJR730 View Post
    They called QBP and the the word was that there are no forthcoming changes to the Krampus coming this year. This contradicts the info the other member had directly from Surly

    i can't figure why would they intentionally sell out of their current lineup with a 6 month gap in production/availability if there were no changes in store? why not just continue selling them if nothing is going to change?

    Surly is behaving strangely across the board. i don't know what they have in store but i think there are big changes coming. they've got to have some new cool stuff coming, at least i hope.
  • 04-23-2016
    vikb
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    Surly is behaving strangely across the board. i don't know what they have in store but i think there are big changes coming. they've got to have some new cool stuff coming, at least i hope.

    I agree that something is up.

    From talking to the LBS people I know Surly is having a MRSP problem. With other brands offer bikes that compete directly with some of the key niche models [fatbikes & 29+] while offering lower prices and more modern tech the average consumer walking into a LBS isn't choosing the more expensive, heavier Surly. Leaving LBS with too much stock and no desire to order more.

    I think this is causing an existential crisis at Surly.

    With QBP at their back they aren't going to run out of $$ because of a few bad years, but at the same time QBP isn't going to pump in $$ for laughs. So Surly is going to have to figure out where and how they fit into the market such that they can sell enough bikes to remain viable.

    If you look at the Surly Wednesday I think this was the first salvo of newer lower cost bikes coming from Surly.

    The other way they could go is fancier tubing more expensive bling bikes. I'm not sure that will happen, but it's the other option.

    I was helping my buddy find a Krampus frame and they were literally stacked up at LBS all over the place with shops fighting each other to discount them low enough to get one out the door.

    I don't know what's going to happen, but I doubt it's going to be business as usual for Surly.
  • 04-23-2016
    jonshonda
    I think Surly has learned a few hard lessons about getting carried away with their + and fat bikes. Look at all of their stock of Instigators, Pugs, ICT, and now Krampus. They ordered too many and are loosing a lot of $$ and not impressing dealers because of it.

    Having frequent large sales like that will hurt the reputation of a company, and people will wait for or expect a sale from Surly before they buy, which really shouldn't be the case. The + game is booming fast now, and have kinda pushed fat bikes to the side. Lots of people and trends coming into production now, so I am sure the higher ups at Surly will make sure their future products are dialed in before releasing to market.

    With that said I love my Krampus, and don't see myself getting rid of it any time soon. Two things I don't like are the choice of the SLX der vs. a Sram, as the arm on the SLX is RIGHT IN THE FREAKING WAY OF THE HORZ DROPOUT. I also continue to rub the chainstays with the tire when putting the power down..and after speaking with another big user confirmed it not an isolated case.
  • 04-23-2016
    *OneSpeed*
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    Two things I don't like are the choice of the SLX der vs. a Sram, as the arm on the SLX is RIGHT IN THE FREAKING WAY OF THE HORZ DROPOUT.

    I'm going to add either a range extender or a complete wide (11-42) cassette which will require the use of a goat link. not sure but i think it will give a little more room to get the wheel in and out of there. and really if it bothers you/me that much it can always be changed.
  • 04-23-2016
    WMBigs
    It seems to me that the 29+ bikes have not taken off as hoped, but the 27.5+ market is exploding. I wonder if Surly has a 27.5+ in the works and want to deplete the 29+ stock before releasing the 27.5+. I had been thinking of the Krampus for a few years, no stocking dealer here. Test rode the Spec Fuse and went that way.
  • 04-23-2016
    bricke
    1 Attachment(s)
  • 04-23-2016
    benmcgill
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by mbanzi View Post
    Anyone know where to find a set of Surly 12mm Thru Axle Slotted with Hanger‏ MDS Chips? I'm not able to find them anywhere locally at dealers or online. Makes me nervous that Surly is getting rid of MDS :eekster:

    Attachment 1065557

    Checked with LBS-available 5/31
  • 04-24-2016
    iocopocomaioco
    finally took a snap after today's ride.

    she's a large (all stock) Krampus and wears dirt wizard shoes










    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 04-24-2016
    gregclimbs
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by vikb View Post

    Quote Originally Posted by Afun View Post
    Last question....once and for all is the Chainstay on the ops version longer than the regular Krampus?

    Yes and for this reason.

    Vik, You keep saying this, but Surly claims both have the same cs length. I wish I had measured the black one when I had one in my shop, but I didn't.

    I am pretty sure the cs are essentially identical. Or at a minimum, within a few mm...

    If they are significantly different, I am curious by how much.

    g
  • 04-25-2016
    nitrousjunky
    If they do update the Krampus, I'm wondering if it will have the same dropout they used on the Wednesday frame? They supposedly learned some things on how to cut production cost on those frames, wonder if that info will be used on the upcoming Krampus as well?
  • 04-25-2016
    pdxfixed
    One piece of insight about Surly/QBP operations and why they've fallen behind on production is due to changing from using an outside party to source the spec/builds for the bikes to handling all of this stuff in house. They now have a team working in Taiwan with their factories directly as opposed to hiring another company to do this for them.
  • 04-25-2016
    pdxfixed
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by nitrousjunky View Post
    If they do update the Krampus, I'm wondering if it will have the same dropout they used on the Wednesday frame? They supposedly learned some things on how to cut production cost on those frames, wonder if that info will be used on the upcoming Krampus as well?

    I'd really dig a Krampus that did away with the seat post gusset crap and used the simpler Wednesday dropouts. I'd really dig it if all the Surly's were more like the Wednesday actually...

    Surly and Salsa are announcing their new MTB lines at Saddledrive in July so we'll just have to wait and see.
  • 04-25-2016
    defleshed
    Since I know you live in Canada, do you know where some stock of Krampus frames are in Canada? I was debating getting some 29+ wheels for my Borealis, however a purpose built 29+ as rugged as the krampus has it's upside for extended and abusive tours etc, especially if they are trying to clear them out right now.


    Quote:

    Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    I agree that something is up.

    From talking to the LBS people I know Surly is having a MRSP problem. With other brands offer bikes that compete directly with some of the key niche models [fatbikes & 29+] while offering lower prices and more modern tech the average consumer walking into a LBS isn't choosing the more expensive, heavier Surly. Leaving LBS with too much stock and no desire to order more.

    I think this is causing an existential crisis at Surly.

    With QBP at their back they aren't going to run out of $$ because of a few bad years, but at the same time QBP isn't going to pump in $$ for laughs. So Surly is going to have to figure out where and how they fit into the market such that they can sell enough bikes to remain viable.

    If you look at the Surly Wednesday I think this was the first salvo of newer lower cost bikes coming from Surly.

    The other way they could go is fancier tubing more expensive bling bikes. I'm not sure that will happen, but it's the other option.

    I was helping my buddy find a Krampus frame and they were literally stacked up at LBS all over the place with shops fighting each other to discount them low enough to get one out the door.

    I don't know what's going to happen, but I doubt it's going to be business as usual for Surly.

  • 04-25-2016
    vikb
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by defleshed View Post
    Since I know you live in Canada, do you know where some stock of Krampus frames are in Canada? I was debating getting some 29+ wheels for my Borealis, however a purpose built 29+ as rugged as the krampus has it's upside for extended and abusive tours etc, especially if they are trying to clear them out right now.

    PM Sent
  • 04-26-2016
    AJR730
    Surly replied as follows to my email asking about changes and timing (I didn't think they would give any details on the changes but it doesn't hurt to ask):

    We are going to be making some changes to the Krampus and it will be largely out of stock until September (give or take.) The exact changes I cannot divulge at this time, but it will still be very close to the current model in fit and performance.
  • 04-26-2016
    nitrousjunky
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by AJR730 View Post
    Surly replied as follows to my email asking about changes and timing (I didn't think they would give any details on the changes but it doesn't hurt to ask):

    We are going to be making some changes to the Krampus and it will be largely out of stock until September (give or take.) The exact changes I cannot divulge at this time, but it will still be very close to the current model in fit and performance.

    Good, it doesn't need any big changes IMHO. :thumbsup:
  • 04-26-2016
    pulsepro
    1 Attachment(s)
    Attachment 1066299

    First posted pic of my Krampus. Bought it in 2013. It's the sh!t.
  • 04-26-2016
    pulsepro
    1 Attachment(s)
    Attachment 1066312

    And another pic. Enjoy.
  • 04-26-2016
    reamer41
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by pulsepro View Post
    Attachment 1066299

    First posted pic of my Krampus. Bought it in 2013. It's the sh!t.

    Nice!

    Is that fork quite a bit longer than the stock rigid fork? Looks raked out a bit.
  • 04-26-2016
    pulsepro
    The fork is a Manitou Magnum Comp 110 mm travel OEM form a Trek Stach. It is certainly longer A-C than the stock fork. But, once you're above walking speed, there's no wheel flop or raked out feeling. Just super confident monster truck feeling. I really like it. Don't fear the slacker geo (or the reaper).
  • 04-26-2016
    bikepunk13
    3 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by gregclimbs View Post
    I am pretty sure the cs are essentially identical. Or at a minimum, within a few mm...

    If they are significantly different, I am curious by how much.

    I have been pretty interested in this my self. It looks like the MDS chips have different axle positions. The 135 QR seems to be the longest and the horizontal shortest (couldn't find a picture of the slotted thru axle).
    Attachment 1066320
    Attachment 1066322
    Attachment 1066323
    Yes, these are different frames but the chips are all the same so the dropout mounts (area where the chips mount/welded cast piece) should be the same on the frames and they do appear to be. Also keeping them the same keeps manufacturing/R&D prices down for Surly. While this doesn't answer chain stay length between the original Krampus and the Ops I still thought it was interesting.
  • 04-26-2016
    nitrousjunky
    Trying to go off memory here, so take these with a grain of salt. I've only owned the original green frame.
    However IIRC, the horizontal MDS chip is identical with the original green allowing 17.6" at the shortest setting.
    Vertical drop MDS is somewhere around 18.1".
    I'm not sure if I've seen anyone post the thru axle MDS CS length, but visually appears to be slightly shorter CS length than the vertical.
  • 04-26-2016
    Afun
    So the CS length can't be that noticeable between both bikes. Maybe by the time I buy my Krampus the Ops will be sold out and the Green one will be the only one available.
  • 04-26-2016
    bikepunk13
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Afun View Post
    So the CS length can't be that noticeable between both bikes. Maybe by the time I buy my Krampus the Ops will be sold out and the Green one will be the only one available.

    Some people might feel a difference between the QR (longest) and the horizontals all the way forward, but I think the majority of people wouldn't. The bigger thing to me is the ability to use a 142x12 rear on the Ops to stiffen to the back end.
  • 04-26-2016
    *OneSpeed*
    7 Attachment(s)
    I did an urban loop along the river today on my "short" chainstay Krampus. a fair amount of pavement between trails, and light single track where it's available. not a lot of climbing, 1,635 ft in 31.6 miles. found some cool new stuff, trails, old growth cemetery's, a couple small parks with a good view of the valley the river has carved out. it was cold, 35 degrees and rained all morning.

    pics.

    Attachment 1066404Attachment 1066405Attachment 1066406Attachment 1066407Attachment 1066408Attachment 1066409

    plus one that shows the new florescent lights installed in the wheels
    Attachment 1066416
  • 04-26-2016
    bikepunk13
    6 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    I did an urban loop along the river today on my "short" chainstay Krampus.

    I ride my bike I swear! I did 60 miles over the weekend of road/dirt road mix on my "long" chainstays and it didn't bother me one bit!

    Disclaimer: I'm a really bad photographer but the second picture has a bald eagle.
    Attachment 1066418
    Attachment 1066423Attachment 1066419Attachment 1066420Attachment 1066421Attachment 1066422
  • 04-28-2016
    gooseberry1
    Can't wait to ride the Krampus tonight after pulling the XX1 off the spearfish and putting it on the Surley. So now I have a Krampus with carbon wheels and a XX1 drivetrain so all I need now is carbon seat post and bars.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 04-30-2016
    Afun
    It's unbelievable on how I can't decide between both Krampus bikes. Close to a month....its OCD
  • 04-30-2016
    Muirenn
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Afun View Post
    It's unbelievable on how I can't decide between both Krampus bikes. Close to a month....its OCD

    Yes. Get the green one.

    It's prettier.

    ;)
  • 04-30-2016
    Afun
    I have so many cool color schemes for the black one...but only one real color scheme for the green one
  • 04-30-2016
    Afun
    Oh yeah and the decision on gearing

    The green one will get a 30 tooth chain ring with a 11 - 42 cassette...1 x 11 clean pocket but less range

    And the black one will get a 22 tooth granny gear with front derailer...2x 11 more range, awesome Surly OD Crank...but crowded pocket
  • 04-30-2016
    Muirenn
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Afun View Post
    I have so many cool color schemes for the black one...but only one real color scheme for the green one

    Mine is green with orange accents. Though I haven't done much color, yet.
  • 04-30-2016
    hamsterspam
    1 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    Mine is green with orange accents. Though I haven't done much color, yet.

    lol,whats that? not much color?
    Attachment 1067327
  • 05-01-2016
    Matterhorn
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Afun View Post
    It's unbelievable on how I can't decide between both Krampus bikes. Close to a month....its OCD

    wait for the new version this fall.
  • 05-01-2016
    Afun
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Matterhorn View Post
    wait for the new version this fall.

    That's no fun! I really like both Krampus bikes. It's either a Krampus or my first full suspension bike. Something like a Salsa Horsethief or Pony Rustler. I am also trying to outdo my Ogre which is sweet.
  • 05-01-2016
    Afun
    I have also been toying around with a belt drive since I saw one a couple of weeks ago, but I think I like my noisy hubs too much. This has an internal gear drive. Super cool bike...

  • 05-06-2016
    Muirenn
    Planning to upgrade a few things on my Krampus, namely, I want to match existing orange lock-rings on my Odi Grips with an orange crankset and pedals. Maybe a couple of other things.

    I'm trying to decide between Straitline and Raceface Atlas pedals. Straitlines are under $100.00. Atlas's are $150.0 at Jenson. I'm a lot more familiar with Straitline, that is, I've heard more good things about them. The Raceface would match the Turbine Crank I want to buy.

    Anyone know if one is significantly better? No idea which to get.

    Also, if someone has another suggestion of a good, but not overly expensive orange crankset, let me know. My bike is a single-speed with a 32 tooth chainring, and I live at sea-level.

    Maybe I should post this in a different subforum, but not sure where. Figured it wouldn't hurt to hear from my fellow Krampii. You guys have put together some beautiful builds.

    Thanks!
  • 05-06-2016
    hamsterspam
    check out the race face chester pedals....

    i think for an orange crankset your pretty much stuck with trying to find a turbine from race face...
  • 05-06-2016
    Muirenn
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by hamsterspam View Post
    check out the race face chester pedals....

    i think for an orange crankset your pretty much stuck with trying to find a turbine from race face...

    I'll check. Just found threads on here about having to rebuild bearings on the Atlas pedals, within a few weeks of purchase. Yeah. No thanks. Oh, the Straitlines are the BMX type. I see they also have DeFacto and Amp. Seems like it was the Amp I heard about before, come to think of it.

    Jenson has everything, though the Straitline BMX pedals are on Amazon. looks like the Chesters are the wrong color of orange. Needs to be more metallic.
  • 05-06-2016
    hamsterspam
    not on your list but the spank spike pedals are also nice...
    and dont forget your matching diety valve stem caps and wolftooth chainring bolts!
    and stem spacers,gotta have those matching too,chris king makes nice ones...and at that point you have to get the chris king headset to match,and really once your that far down the rabbit hole you may as well have a matching bottom bracket and hubs right?
    and speaking of krampii and rabbit holes of course your rim strip needs to match,salsa gel handlebar tape works good for that...and how could i forget cable housings?

    lol,have fun with it,embrace the madness!
  • 05-06-2016
    Muirenn
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by hamsterspam View Post
    not on your list but the spank spike pedals are also nice...
    and dont forget your matching diety valve stem caps and wolftooth chainring bolts!
    and stem spacers,gotta have those matching too,chris king makes nice ones...and at that point you have to get the chris king headset to match,and really once your that far down the rabbit hole you may as well have a matching bottom bracket and hubs right?
    and speaking of krampii and rabbit holes of course your rim strip needs to match,salsa gel handlebar tape works good for that...and how could i forget cable housings?

    lol,have fun with it,embrace the madness!

    Exactly!!!

    The Mango Chris King Head Set would work, but I'm going to keep CK to a minimum due to $$. The Wolf Tooth bolts are a given.

    Thank you for reminding me of the spanks, I knew I'd seen others.

    What I really want are orange DMR Vaults, but they are on back-order and pricey. May go ahead and wait on pedals, and get the new crankset etc., now. I'm designing my color-scheme around Odi lock-rings. That's mad. If I get the DMR's, I'll have to get black pins, since they come with blue. I like blue with the Krampus, but don't want to do that.
  • 05-06-2016
    Muirenn
    Not sure how popular DMR Vaults are on this forum, haven't heard much about them, but have wanted some since before I built the Krampus. (Had the Krampus built...).

    I'd like just the regular Vaults in orange, they have higher end ones, too. Titanium, etc. They look perfect to me.

    DMR Vault Pedals - DMR Bikes
  • 05-10-2016
    crankpuller
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    Planning to upgrade a few things on my Krampus, namely, I want to match existing orange lock-rings on my Odi Grips with an orange crankset and pedals. Maybe a couple of other things.

    I'm trying to decide between Straitline and Raceface Atlas pedals. Straitlines are under $100.00. Atlas's are $150.0 at Jenson. I'm a lot more familiar with Straitline, that is, I've heard more good things about them. The Raceface would match the Turbine Crank I want to buy.

    Anyone know if one is significantly better? No idea which to get.

    Also, if someone has another suggestion of a good, but not overly expensive orange crankset, let me know. My bike is a single-speed with a 32 tooth chainring, and I live at sea-level.

    Maybe I should post this in a different subforum, but not sure where. Figured it wouldn't hurt to hear from my fellow Krampii. You guys have put together some beautiful builds.

    Thanks!

    Blackspire sub4 makes an orange pedal
  • 05-15-2016
    lastchance
    Just checking in, another Krampus owner from Colorado here. Currently on the hunt for a suspension fork, thanks to this thread I have a parts list together.
  • 05-17-2016
    Crunch406
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by lastchance View Post
    Just checking in, another Krampus owner from Colorado here. Currently on the hunt for a suspension fork, thanks to this thread I have a parts list together.

    Just got mine in yesterday, put it together last night. It already has a Fox 32, and also has the factory fork. Are you a front ranger?
  • 05-17-2016
    lastchance
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Crunch406 View Post
    Just got mine in yesterday, put it together last night. It already has a Fox 32, and also has the factory fork. Are you a front ranger?

    Yes sir. Northern CO. You?

    Do you have pics? I've been agonizing over the Fox 32 or 34, 9qr or 15qr. Haha!
  • 05-17-2016
    Crunch406
    Denver area. I do have pictures, but this forum doesn't like me, ie- I'm a dork when it comes to posting pics.
  • 05-17-2016
    lastchance
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Crunch406 View Post
    Denver area. I do have pictures, but this forum doesn't like me, ie- I'm a dork when it comes to posting pics.

    No worries. Lets ride sometime! Also, if you want to get rid of that fork I'll take it off your hands!
  • 05-17-2016
    Crunch406
    2 Attachment(s)
    New to me Krampus.
  • 05-17-2016
    Crunch406
    The clearance is actually better than it looks in the picture.
    Definitely down to ride. Off to Moab with the 'saw next weekend. After that the Krampus will be getting lots of trail time!
  • 05-17-2016
    lastchance
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Crunch406 View Post
    The clearance is actually better than it looks in the picture.
    Definitely down to ride. Off to Moab with the 'saw next weekend. After that the Krampus will be getting lots of trail time!

    Holy shit, that's a DW up front and you have TONS of clearance! That bridge wasn't modified at all, either.

    I have the same brakes on my Krampus, hmmm.
  • 05-17-2016
    Muirenn
    Wondering if there are any other women on a Krampus? I originally intended to get a Troll, just a utility bike/sometime trail bike, and found a Krampy frameset new in box on ebay, so built it up. Like it, but didn't really know what kind of bike it was when I bought it. It works, I like bikes that handle well (CAADX CX and Pinarello roadie, both great functionally).

    Seems like this is almost entirely a guy's ride, though. Anyone?
  • 05-17-2016
    bikepunk13
    I'm in need of a set of the 12mm thru axle chips. Built some new wheels for my Krampus with a 142x12 rear hub anticipating the release of them. The ETA stock date has now been pushed back (for the second or third time) to 7/22 which is about the time I had planned on starting the Colorado trail. From what I understand the bare frames came with all the chips. I'm hoping someone might have a set they are willing to part with or know where I can get some. Thanks!
  • 05-18-2016
    lastchance
    Has anyone tried to fit a RockShox 30 Gold TK by chance? I have a line on one but don't have it in hand to test on a stock RabbitHole yet. Running Knards at the moment on the stock 50mm rim but still debating on saving for a Fox Float 34 or pulling the trigger (and saving a solid amount) on this RS. I'd be stoked because it's a 9QR so nothing else would need to be futzed with.

    Thanks.
  • 05-18-2016
    Ol' Bromy
    I saw a photo of a Recon fork on a Krampus and the dude said it did not fit. May have been on this thread. If it's not gonna fit a Recon, it likely won't fit the fork you're looking at.
  • 05-18-2016
    lastchance
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Ol' Bromy View Post
    I saw a photo of a Recon fork on a Krampus and the dude said it did not fit. May have been on this thread. If it's not gonna fit a Recon, it likely won't fit the fork you're looking at.

    I figured as much, I knew about the Recon/Pike poor fit but didn't know how different the 30 Gold TK is from the other cheaper RS models.
  • 05-18-2016
    jdbaum3
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    Wondering if there are any other women on a Krampus? I originally intended to get a Troll, just a utility bike/sometime trail bike, and found a Krampy frameset new in box on ebay, so built it up. Like it, but didn't really know what kind of bike it was when I bought it. It works, I like bikes that handle well (CAADX CX and Pinarello roadie, both great functionally).

    Seems like this is almost entirely a guy's ride, though. Anyone?

    My GF isn't on the forum, but she goes for my Krampus over her own FS 26" or hardtail 29er 9 times out of 10. She loves the confidence and traction.
  • 05-22-2016
    lastchance
    I've gotta 2016 Performance Series 32 FLOAT (44mm rake, 100mm travel, 9qr) coming along with a Cane Creek bottom cup for the tapered fork. I'll report back once I have it in hand, should be Friday.

    As far as I know these are just the "stock on XYZ bike brand" Float 32 forks, no fancy Kashima finish and perhaps less control in the dampening/rebound department (?) but otherwise the same as the outta-my-price-range Factory Float 32 jobbies floating around out there new for $700+.

    This is perhaps the least expensive way to get a squishy front end on the Krampus, no hub swap, use of the factory 50mm Rabbit Holes and Ultra hubs, but the CC bottom cup needs to be purchased of course. So, I'm thinking sub-$500 for the setup... We'll see if it all goes as planned.
  • 05-27-2016
    lastchance
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by lastchance View Post
    I've gotta 2016 Performance Series 32 FLOAT (44mm rake, 100mm travel, 9qr) coming along with a Cane Creek bottom cup for the tapered fork. I'll report back once I have it in hand, should be Friday.

    As far as I know these are just the "stock on XYZ bike brand" Float 32 forks, no fancy Kashima finish and perhaps less control in the dampening/rebound department (?) but otherwise the same as the outta-my-price-range Factory Float 32 jobbies floating around out there new for $700+.

    This is perhaps the least expensive way to get a squishy front end on the Krampus, no hub swap, use of the factory 50mm Rabbit Holes and Ultra hubs, but the CC bottom cup needs to be purchased of course. So, I'm thinking sub-$500 for the setup... We'll see if it all goes as planned.

    Fork is here, waiting on the bottom headset cup.

    A few things:

    The inside mount brakes (Avid DB5 on the factory fork) need to be changed to Fox's post mount via 74mm spacing 20mm adapter as my 180mm Centerline rotors aren't anywhere near clearing Fox's standard 160mm spacing.

    The factory steerer tube is like 34" long and will need to be cut down (obviously) but I don't want to make a cut until I get sag and spacing dialed in.

    Grinding on the arch with a borrowed Dremel today, will post before and after pics. I marked on the fork how much needs to go but it doesn't seem like a ton, most of the rubbage is at the center of the arch, sides have good clearance so I'll leave them be.

    Stole a 9QR skewer from my gravel bike to make this one work for the time being, slides right into the Surly Ultra hub no problem, thanks for that Surly.
  • 05-29-2016
    Muirenn
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by hamsterspam View Post
    not on your list but the spank spike pedals are also nice...
    and dont forget your matching diety valve stem caps and wolftooth chainring bolts!
    and stem spacers,gotta have those matching too,chris king makes nice ones...and at that point you have to get the chris king headset to match,and really once your that far down the rabbit hole you may as well have a matching bottom bracket and hubs right?
    and speaking of krampii and rabbit holes of course your rim strip needs to match,salsa gel handlebar tape works good for that...and how could i forget cable housings?

    lol,have fun with it,embrace the madness!

    Little update. I ordered and received the Race-Face Turbines in Orange, and Orange Lip Lock seat collar from Salsa. Also on order are DMR Vault Pedals in Lacon, or Oil Slick. Not orange, but they are multi-color. And the wrong color orange next to the orange race-face crank-arms will bother me. The multi-color pedals change in the light, and depending what is next to them.

    https://www.google.com/search?q=dmr+...KV3KJo1iDCM%3A

    Will post when I get it all together. The Salsa seat-collar is a little too orange-red compared to what I want, but it's impossible to order colors from the internet, and have them all turn out identical. Might replace the silver headset spacers with orange, or maybe green. and may try different pedals in the future. Too much fun.
  • 05-29-2016
    hamsterspam
    welcome to the rabbit hole! one of the shop guys just built some wheels and had red bolts to hold the brake rotors on,now i have toget some in green and red!
  • 05-29-2016
    Muirenn
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by hamsterspam View Post
    welcome to the rabbit hole! one of the shop guys just built some wheels and had red bolts to hold the brake rotors on,now i have toget some in green and red!

    Speaking of Rabbit Holes...no rim tape for me. I use Velocity Blunts, for now. :)

    What do you think of the multi-colored DMR's?
  • 05-29-2016
    hamsterspam
    i dunno what DMR's are but it only matters if you like it...whatever it takes to keep the pedals moving im all in favor of...i mean having color match OCD aint gonna make the bike faster or anything of the sort,but it does change how you feel about your bike...i know i cant walk by my bikes without gazing adoringly at them and getting psyched about riding them....and in the end i have really solid builds,they arent fancy or lightweight or top-of-the-line-y,but since almost 100% of my rides start and end at my front door what i really wanted was bikes that make it home time after time...
  • 05-30-2016
    clydeone
    My Krampus with new fork installed. Still adjusting to it. Have been on 3 rides and am amazed at how much I was "feathering" the brakes on the rigid for when slowing in rough and rooty corners



    "The trick, and oh, what a trick it is, is to remain consciously blind to the danger that surrounds you, and simultaneously hyper-aware of every hard bit of pavement or sharp bit of metal that enters your air space. This is the Zen koan of riding your bicycle on the road." Robot, Red Kite Prayer - rkp.com - October 20, 2011
  • 05-30-2016
    tfinator
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by clydeone View Post
    My Krampus with new fork installed. Still adjusting to it. Have been on 3 rides and am amazed at how much I was "feathering" the brakes on the rigid for when slowing in rough and rooty corners



    "The trick, and oh, what a trick it is, is to remain consciously blind to the danger that surrounds you, and simultaneously hyper-aware of every hard bit of pavement or sharp bit of metal that enters your air space. This is the Zen koan of riding your bicycle on the road." Robot, Red Kite Prayer - rkp.com - October 20, 2011

    That's a fox 27.5+ fork yeah? Could you add some clearance pictures?
  • 05-31-2016
    clydeone
    Nope this is actually a boost 29 fork - I would assume it is the same lowers as the 27.5 + - the clearance on the sides is great and on top is almost nothing - I am running a gravity Vidar on the front tubeless on a rabbit hole


    "The trick, and oh, what a trick it is, is to remain consciously blind to the danger that surrounds you, and simultaneously hyper-aware of every hard bit of pavement or sharp bit of metal that enters your air space. This is the Zen koan of riding your bicycle on the road." Robot, Red Kite Prayer - rkp.com - October 20, 2011
  • 05-31-2016
    Muirenn
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by hamsterspam View Post
    i dunno what DMR's are but it only matters if you like it...whatever it takes to keep the pedals moving im all in favor of...i mean having color match OCD aint gonna make the bike faster or anything of the sort,but it does change how you feel about your bike...i know i cant walk by my bikes without gazing adoringly at them and getting psyched about riding them....and in the end i have really solid builds,they arent fancy or lightweight or top-of-the-line-y,but since almost 100% of my rides start and end at my front door what i really wanted was bikes that make it home time after time...

    It's definitely a bike-bling thing. DMR is a UK company, and the reviews on the Vaults are very good. Love the color choices, too. Could have gone with orange or lime green. The ones I got will hopefully match anything. Ordered from Niagara Cycle Works, they are always slow, so don't have them yet.