Page 34 of 41 FirstFirst ... 24303132333435363738 ... LastLast
Results 3,301 to 3,400 of 4067

Thread: Surly Krampus

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Wondering if there are any other female riders on the Krampus. I'm 5'7" on a size small, kind of a weird fit with a very high seat post, but medium's reach would have been too long.

Mayor of Waterdog
    I'm sure it's been covered, but will a Chupacabra cause way more chain rub when mashing up hill than the Knard on the stock RH wheels? I've seen that they are supposed to be a bit wider than the Knards. I'm running a 30t narrow/wide ring in the front and the chain just grazes the sidewall when I really crank hard on a climb, but it's no big deal with the stock tires. Thanks in advance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Surly Krampus-image.jpg  

“We bring Saturdays” ~ Homme

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    im running a chronicle slammed on mine and its fine,no chainrub issues at all and the chronicle is a bit wider a tire than the chupas

Surly Krampus-dscf1110.jpg

Jon BALER
    Jan 2007
    Anybody have the Krampus fork with mounts to sell? This is NOT the stock one, but the alternate version with extra rack/bottle cage mounting points.

Ride On
    Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    Wondering if there are any other female riders on the Krampus. I'm 5'7" on a size small, kind of a weird fit with a very high seat post, but medium's reach would have been too long.
    Muirenn I'm not a woman but I am about 5'7" and ride a medium. I also have longer legs proportionally. The reach is perfectly fine in fact I quite like the extra room when I'm standing on this bike. The actual tt length is longer then other bikes I own I accommodate that with a shorter stem and or with bars with a bit more sweep. Bars with an 11 or 12 deg sweep like salsa or syntace bars bring the reach significantly closer. I have been able to find my happy place with either a 12 deg bar and 60mm stem or 9 deg bar and 50mm stem. I would even consider running a 40mm stem and an 8deg bar.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Michael

Ride on!

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    What do you guys think of the idea of running a Krampus as 27.5+? I see a lot of people have been running theirs as standard 29er so the wheel should be about the same diameter? Or I was also looking at the Karate Monkey but I don't know if that will fully fit 27.5+!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Ol' Bromy View Post
    I'm sure it's been covered, but will a Chupacabra cause way more chain rub when mashing up hill than the Knard on the stock RH wheels?
    With my wheel slammed forward I get some rubbing w/ a tubeless 27tpi Knard, but eliminated a lot of it by switching to a Shimano XT Skewer. My next planned wheel build will have Chris Kings w/ fun bolts.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    http://i66.tinypic.com/e9z1fo.jpg

Don't know Any more where I found this picture

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OfficerFriendly View Post
    What do you guys think of the idea of running a Krampus as 27.5+? I see a lot of people have been running theirs as standard 29er so the wheel should be about the same diameter? Or I was also looking at the Karate Monkey but I don't know if that will fully fit 27.5+!
    Not sure I understand the logic of buying a 29+ frame to run a 27+ wheel.

If you want 27+ there seem to be alot of options out there.... none of which will be as fun as a 29+ IMO...

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Well, I for one am interested to see if the 27.5 x 3.8's on 50mm rims will fit in my Krampus.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueriderAK View Post
    Well, I for one am interested to see if the 27.5 x 3.8's on 50mm rims will fit in my Krampus.
    my guess would be nope, on the rear. I have no proof.

PS. i do own a Krampus.

Not really fixed.
    Feb 2016
    Count me in as curious!

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by crankpuller View Post
    Not sure I understand the logic of buying a 29+ frame to run a 27+ wheel.

If you want 27+ there seem to be alot of options out there.... none of which will be as fun as a 29+ IMO...
    I really like the Surly Krampus frameset and don't see any 27.5+ steel framesets availible bar the Advocate Cycles Hayduke which is £550 for the frame only and the Krampus is £400 with a fork. There is also the Genesis Longitude but it has an alluminium fork and a horrible colour which are both dealbreakers for me. Annoyingly the complete build Genesis comes in an awesome Camo colour but I really want to build it up myself.
    And I have a 29+ (Surly ECR) and have ridden a 27.5+, which I much prefer. And I would definetely say the 27.5+ was more fun and playful.

And thanks Kallie for the picture, it looks fantastic! But no other info

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Jon BALER
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by OfficerFriendly View Post
    I really like the Surly Krampus frameset and don't see any 27.5+ steel framesets availible bar the Advocate Cycles Hayduke(
    marin pine mountain
    jamis dragon slayer

mtbr member
    Why? 3.8's are for fat bikes. Krampus is not designed for 3.8 tires.

mtbr member
    There is zero chance a 3.8" tire will fit the Krampus. The 3" tire it was designed to be used with barely fits. There is no extra width between the chainstays to use.

You could install the 3.8" tire deflated in the rear and then inflate once in the bike. You couldn't actually ride the bike, but it would look cool.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    You could install the 3.8" tire deflated in the rear and then inflate once in the bike. You couldn't actually ride the bike, but it would look cool.
    I laughed so hard and disrupted the people around me.
    BBB (big beautiful bike)

mtbr member
    After a few shakedown rides around the house, I finally got to stretch the Krampus legs today. The pic is at the top of Megasteps/Klondike in Moab.Surly Krampus-dscn4562.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 29ger View Post
    After a few shakedown rides around the house, I finally got to stretch the Krampus legs today. The pic is at the top of Megasteps/Klondike in Moab.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN4562.jpg 
Views:	293 
Size:	400.3 KB 
ID:	1052674
    Noice shot!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Pretty much a fat bike less winter this year. Single speed Krampus with Nicotines.

MTB BTV morning by Mike, on Flickr

Single speed stud(s) by Mike, on Flickr

mtbr member

Krampus Review Three Weeks In

Surly Krampus-unnamed.jpg

I read 90% of the posts on this thread before pulling the trigger, so thanks to those who posted on here. I'm about 3 weeks in with my Krampus and have about 5 rides under my belt and wanted to share my impressions for others out there thinking about this bike. Trails were mostly smooth single track with some rocky step ups/downs, some 5-15 minute climbs and descents, loose corners mixed with hero dirt banks, and plenty of switchbacks.

I'm coming off a 6.5' travel trail bike and I ride 90% of what I encounter on the trail; rock gardens, drops, steep climbs, and jumps on the trail (nothing huge 1-2 feet high with 4-5 gaps) wet my whistle and I knew my next bike needed to keep me charging. (I walk up 10% of the climbs I encounter in my home state of CO; I'm a beer lover, too frickin' bad).

The reviews on the Krampus talked about how surprised riders were at what this bike could handle both on the descents and climbs. "Wanna rail through a rock garden without worrying too much about your line? Point this bike and stay light on the tires and it makes it through." = correct. "Need to hammer out a climb even on loose gravel? Ensure the tire pressure is right and stand up and hammer." = correct. "This bike will put a smile on your face!" = correct. Add in the fact that a rigid 29er maximizes all of your pedaling effort and the huge wheel/tire diameter keep you up to speed balanced with the small bump compliance of the tires at a low pressure, my speeds are noticeably faster on my standard loops (no need for Strava to confirm these times; you can feel it taking off under you).

First Impressions: this bike rides like it is billed to ride and the feedback from reviews on this site as well as MBAction Magazine are spot on; fun, fast, flickable, tank-like when needed, and efficient. I forget I'm not on a full suspension bike and have told myself to slow down b/c of that, but I keep riding like I have for years and have yet to be caught off guard.

Recommended For: A rider looking for something different. I won't hang up my 6.5" trail bike as many trails on the Front Range of CO and Moab require the recovery and comfort full suspension providewhen descending at speed. Getting burned out on riding? The simplicity and handling of this bike will keep things fresh as you pick your way around trails you've ridden for years on your go-to bike and consistently get surprised that you're riding a rigid 29+ under you.

Issues: I converted to tubeless via the triple Gorilla Tape method with Stans; picked a cool pattern to show through the rim holes. Took an hour of shaking, spinning, and high pressure to seat one of the sidewalls. The wheels keep pressure for about 36 hours before dropping back into single digit pressures; nothing ten reps on the pump won't take care of. Could be annoying eventually. Not an issue, but added a longer seat tube and a riser bar to accommodate my 33" inseam and long arms. I added a 30 teeth ring combined with an 11-40 10-speed cassette and this has left me thinking once or twice of my granny gear on my 3x9 bike, but not a deal breaker; stand up and hammer and get stronger in the process. Be ready to take a few hits: more than once my arms have absorbed some big hits that I wasn't ready for as I ride this thing like I have 6.5" travel under me. No crashes as of yet.

Oh yeah, a bike like this for under 2 frickin' grand that provides the fun of a $6K full suspension trail bike is pretty sweet. Money left over to play around with parts upgrades and seeing my buddy regret his $5K purchase of a 27.5 Trek Remedy 9.8 after riding my bike makes it extra sweet. More beer money is never a bad thing.

noob bikepacker
    Great review! Another one in the string that I have been reading, steering me towards ordering one tomorrow now that the tax return is back. 2 years of researching and waiting will come to an end in the next 3 weeks! Can't wait to get it out there and get dirty
    "It's about having pointless fun in the woods...." - Walt
    '15 Surly Krampus
    '87 Mongoose Californian Pro

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Surly Krampus

Here is mine!

Surly Krampus-20160302_000058.jpgSurly Krampus-20160302_000229.jpg

SpoK Werks Handmade Goods
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripperme48 View Post
    Here is mine!
    Nice... what fork is that? I can't quite read the writing. Thanks.

noob bikepacker
    WOO HOO!!!!! New Bike Day

Just ordered my Krampus. Will possibly be in this weekend. My first new bike since 1994. I haven't been this excited about bike stuff since I got my Supergoose as a kid in 81.

Thanks to Dave Baer at Baer Wheels in C-bus Ohio for the help in getting this done. LBS's rule!!

Gonna be a fun, muddy, scabby Spring!
    '15 Surly Krampus

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sXeXBMXer View Post
    My first new bike since 1994.
    Holy $hit! Congrats man! Enjoy the new ride!
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

noob bikepacker
    Holy $hit! Congrats man! Enjoy the new ride!
    Thanks! This is going to be a "new world" for sure this spring. Going form a 26er Trek from 1994 to this guy. I can't wait. I know much of it will be like starting over, but tha tis possibly what I need...to relearn how to use the bike. It's gonna make a lot of the trials seem brand new again, which is awesome. Also going to give me a lot more options as to what, where and how I ride...
    '15 Surly Krampus

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    It's a carbon White Bros. fork. Love the bike!

mtbr member
    Thanks! This is going to be a "new world" for sure this spring. Going form a 26er Trek from 1994 to this guy. I can't wait. I know much of it will be like starting over, but tha tis possibly what I need...to relearn how to use the bike. It's gonna make a lot of the trials seem brand new again, which is awesome. Also going to give me a lot more options as to what, where and how I ride...
    That is going to be a new world! It's very different than my hardtail 29er, I can't imagine how different than a 26er. Congrats!!

Mayor of Waterdog
    [QUOTE=sXeXBMXer;12504679]WOO HOO!!!!! New Bike Day

Just ordered my Krampus. Will possibly be in this weekend. My first new bike since 1994. I haven't been this excited about bike stuff since I got my Supergoose as a kid in 81.

Congratulations! You're gonna love this bike! The Krampus is a blast to ride and it's a real ripper

mtbr member
    Just saw that Surly has put a "While Supplies Last" sticker on the website for the Krampus. Are changes on their way?
    - Joe

"Ride to Live, Live to Ride"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hooker_47 View Post
    Just saw that Surly has put a "While Supplies Last" sticker on the website for the Krampus. Are changes on their way?
    Looks like it's on the model with the track fork ends, not the modular dropouts

Mayor of Waterdog
    They had the "While Supplies Last" on their site when I bought mine last year. Maybe she's getting a redesign after they sell out?

noob bikepacker
    Supposedly, they are combining the Krampus - or maybe "replacing" it -with the Krampus Ops. I asked the same thing when I was ordering. In October, the new edition is supposed to come out. The guy I deal with - Dave Baer at Baer Wheels in C-bus Ohio said he did not know whether it was going to be in a different color or not, but that they were basically just "ending" the regular Kramps for the Ops
    '15 Surly Krampus

noob bikepacker
    Quote Originally Posted by 29ger View Post
    That is going to be a new world! It's very different than my hardtail 29er, I can't imagine how different than a 26er. Congrats!!
    Thanks!! That was sort of the idea....try to reinvent the way I ride, or how I "see" the trails I ave been riding with the other bike. Sort of like "starting over again".

Plus, I had not had the $$$$ to "upgrade" in the past 15 or so years, and now that the financial ship has righted itself, I thought it would be a good thing to do. It is like a "gift" for the work I have done to make my life more solid. Plus riding helps clear the mind and that has helped in the journey too
    '15 Surly Krampus

mtbr member
    Supposedly, they are combining the Krampus - or maybe "replacing" it -with the Krampus Ops.

The green Krampus is history when they sell the last ones. After that it will be all MDS dropout Krampi.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member

Midlife crisis machine

Been daydreaming / planning this bike for 3 years, now it is real!

Surly Krampus-krampus.jpg

Mayor of Waterdog

The green Krampus is history when they sell the last ones. After that it will be all MDS dropout Krampi.

Glad I got an OG Krampus before they're gone.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    You just can't go wrong with a Krampus.
    I just got my midlife crisis bike after two and a half years... I had a tough time deciding between the Krampus and the ECR. Both are great! I finally got an ECR. Riding it makes me feel like a kid again! Definitely a "land cruiser."

noob bikepacker
    Quote Originally Posted by FoafInTX View Post
    You just can't go wrong with a Krampus.
    I just got my midlife crisis bike after two and a half years... I had a tough time deciding between the Krampus and the ECR. Both are great! I finally got an ECR. Riding it makes me feel like a kid again! Definitely a "land cruiser."
    Those are the exact 2 bikes I had been waffling about as well for the past 2-3 years. I finally decided that for the immediate future, the Krampus is more what I needed - it can easily convert to a bike-packer if I need it to. I won't have time in my life for another 10 years to do full out bike-packing trips, so thenI will get an ECR, or whatever Surly has at the time that is comparable....or maybe will still just use the Krampus...heck, if guys and gals can cross Africa on a Krampus, I think it would survive the jaunts I plan here in the mid-west and Canada....

I am also glad I got the OG model as well...
    '15 Surly Krampus

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Krampus with fenders...check

Here is mine with the OEM fork and fenders.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Surly Krampus-20160316_000026-1-.jpg  

Surly Krampus-20160316_000154.jpg  

AOK
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ol' Bromy View Post
    Glad I got an OG Krampus before they're gone.
    Wonder how long the greens will be available? The Surly website has had the "while supplies last" tag on the OG Krampus for at least a year now.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Love seeing a bike with fenders. I don't understand why people don't mind being soaked and dirty while riding. I can understand it in a race but wet shoes are just uncomfortable after a few hours. Good job. What brand of fenders?

noob bikepacker
    it is so funny about fenders. I grew up on a BMX, so being muddy and dirty was just part of it. I never put fenders on my bike b/c they would just come off through all of the bumps and jumps. I did have them on my Trek 830 when it was my commmuter, but took them off on the trail for the same reason as above.

Being dirty after a trail ride was always a sign of accomplishment for me...
    '15 Surly Krampus

29ers Forever
    it is so funny about fenders. I grew up on a BMX, so being muddy and dirty was just part of it. I never put fenders on my bike b/c they would just come off through all of the bumps and jumps. I did have them on my Trek 830 when it was my commmuter, but took them off on the trail for the same reason as above.

Being dirty after a trail ride was always a sign of accomplishment for me...
    I dont use fenders either, I like getting my bikes a little dirty from time to time. Also it's good when your bike doesn't look like a cruiser. But that's just my opinion.

mtbr member
    I put a rear fender on my all mtn bike this winter here in the PNW after getting tired of a soggy groin. It's been amazing. Stays in place when bombing trails/juping and I am much happier on my rides.

https://vikapprovedblog.wordpress.co...fender-review/

As a bonus it keeps my dropper and my rear shock/upper suspension components very clean for reduced maintenance.

I have the smaller 26er version, but I put a 29er version on my Krampus for a second and it looked like it could work. My buddy will be installing one on his Krampus and I'll report back once he's confirmed it work well with the 3" tire.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Used komplete Krampus for $900?? Good deal?
    Where in between a rigid 9z7 fatty and 100mm 27.5 full squish do I need this in my life?

mtbr member
    The standard Krampus and the Krampus Ops are both on closeout in QBP right now so a change is coming. I just order the Ops, had to go for the MDS drops.

wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by bikepunk13 View Post
    The standard Krampus and the Krampus Ops are both on closeout in QBP right now so a change is coming. I just order the Ops, had to go for the MDS drops.
    closeout? as in on sale? price?
    Rigid SS 29er
    Fat Lefty
    29+

SS cyclocross
    all steel

"Fully rigid" isn't a thing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    closeout? as in on sale? price?
    Yep. Both are 20% off now. There are nine Surly models on closeout right now.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Thanks! They are Big O Mfg. fenders. I am about to convert this to a digital Krampus commuter rig. (Mid drive E-Assist kit)

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Here is a recent night shot of my rig

Surly Krampus-20160317_203921.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2016

Surly Krampus

Yes this bike is the most fun out of all my bikes and with the new wheels it's over the top fun and can't loose the smile

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    Used komplete Krampus for $900?? Good deal?
    Where in between a rigid 9z7 fatty and 100mm 27.5 full squish do I need this in my life?
    I looked into getting a 29+ wheelset for my 9zero7 and realized that for almost the same price I could have a complete 29+ rig to dump more money into.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    I looked into getting a 29+ wheelset for my 9zero7 and realized that for almost the same price I could have a complete 29+ rig to dump more money into.
    Good point. I could just slap another set of hoops on the 9z7 and be done with it. That would certainly keep Mrs ripper from noticing another bike in the garage.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gooseberry1 View Post
    Yes this bike is the most fun out of all my bikes and with the new wheels it's over the top fun and can't loose the smile

Nice saddle bag!

mtbr member
    Feb 2016

PSI: Tubes and Tubeless

I recently joined the club and got a beautiful XL Krampus. I plan to slowly upgrade components. One of the first tasks I thought I would be doing is going tubeless but I have not done it yet as I have been using the bike mostly on rail-trails and around the City. Once things dry up around here I'll throw in much more single track riding.

So my questions to anyone who has kept your tubes in the knards, what PSI are you running for more aggressive single track riding?

To those who have gone tubeless, what PSI are you running when you are riding on less aggressive trails or roads?

Loving this bike! It is nice for the first time in my life to have a bike that actually fits me!

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by kmfarrell18 View Post
    I recently joined the club and got a beautiful XL Krampus. I plan to slowly upgrade components. One of the first tasks I thought I would be doing is going tubeless but I have not done it yet as I have been using the bike mostly on rail-trails and around the City. Once things dry up around here I'll throw in much more single track riding.

So my questions to anyone who has kept your tubes in the knards, what PSI are you running for more aggressive single track riding?

To those who have gone tubeless, what PSI are you running when you are riding on less aggressive trails or roads?

Loving this bike! It is nice for the first time in my life to have a bike that actually fits me!
    My gauge does not work well at below 20 so I'm guessing my pressure to be in the 15 pound range. With that said it's really how the tire feels to you.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I rode the Krampus for the first time in a while, and forgot how much fun it is with the wheel slammed all the way forward in the drops. The front end lifts much easier than my 9zero7.

Anyone else have issue with their front brake caliper coming in contact with the spokes. I am running XT brakes and every once in a while a spoke or two will ding off the caliper.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    ...My first new bike since 1994.....
    Thats funny.
    Krampus was my first new bike since 1994 too (Litespeed Ocoee).

Its been so fun to ride. I cant believe someone called it a sluggish bikepacking bike. I find it very nimble.

29ers Forever
    Quote Originally Posted by drummerdavid View Post
    Thats funny.

Its been so fun to ride. I cant believe someone called it a sluggish bikepacking bike. I find it very nimble.
    Compared to modern trail bikes the Krampus is sluggish,
    but when it is compared to bikes that are similar or older, it may very well feel nimble.

mtbr member
    I really thought the Krampus was my next bike, and it still could be. I'm just real in tune with the guys at LBS. We also have an excellent bar next door, lol.

This Marin Pine Mountain is definitely another choice.

I'm not really comparing pricing, but this one runs about $400 dollars less. Has Hydraulic brakes, tubeless ready Schwalbe's and wheels. I am also excited about that extra low gear with that 42 cassette. It's also a bit of a looker.

noob bikepacker
    Quote Originally Posted by drummerdavid View Post
    Thats funny.

cool...and by the looks of your name, you are a drummer...as am I. Have been drumming since 1976....been biking since about the same time
    '15 Surly Krampus

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    cool...and by the looks of your name, you are a drummer...as am I. Have been drumming since 1976....been biking since about the same time
    Nice. Yep, drumming away here. In fact gigging is why I quit bike racing. But shows are dam hard work, and now I want to ride more.

mtbr member
    I rode the Krampus for the first time in a while, and forgot how much fun it is with the wheel slammed all the way forward in the drops. The front end lifts much easier than my 9zero7.

Anyone else have issue with their front brake caliper coming in contact with the spokes. I am running XT brakes and every once in a while a spoke or two will ding off the caliper.
    Not this exact issue, but I had to space my front rotor to get it centered with the caliper (XT M8000 Brakes). Big difference is I am running a Hope Pro EVO Boost hub / Manitou Magnum fork.
    I would try adding a few rotor shims and re-center the caliper.

Did I catch a niner+?
    Yep. Both are 20% off now. There are nine Surly models on closeout right now.
    I almost pulled the trigger on a ICT or Ops thru Q but went with a wheelset for my pugsley 29+ instead.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

mtbr member
    Feb 2016

The Beast on the River

Surly Krampus-3-27-16-13-.jpg

Took a beautiful Easter cruise along the Genesee River (Rochester, NY). Three weeks in and loving the krampus! Only upgrade so far is some secondhand purple cages and spd pedals (not pictured). Going to be putting a dirt wizard up front soon.

noob bikepacker
    IT FINALLY ARRIVED!!!!

Literally rode it all day today. My legs, arms, and arse are feeling it! But i am in HEAVEN!! First new bike in 25 years!!!

Surly Krampus-surlynbd1.jpg

Surly Krampus-surlynbd2.jpg

Surly Krampus-surlynbd5.jpg

Surly Krampus-surlynbd6.jpg

Surly Krampus-surlynbd12.jpg

Surly Krampus-surlynbd13.jpg

Surly Krampus-surlynbd18.jpg
    '15 Surly Krampus

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Any recommendations on a 29+ tire with a thick sidewall for rocky/pointy terrain?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by deadcactus View Post
    Any recommendations on a 29+ tire with a thick sidewall for rocky/pointy terrain?
    chronicles do great in the desert with the exo casing,good traction,plenty durable...i understand they arent so good in the wet...heck,i have 6 of them on 4 different bikes,the first pair which had 2-3000 miles on them are being used as front tires on my ogre and karate monkey,theres a set on my krampus,and i just got a 29+ wheelset for my ICT so another pair there...

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    new to the forum, and just walked out of a bike shop that's currently getting a new Krampus ready for me.... thanks for the 135 pages of comments, really helped doing my homework! Will pick it up at the end of the day... cannot wait! Now I have to find out more about trails in and around London....

noob bikepacker
    Quote Originally Posted by iocopocomaioco View Post
    new to the forum, and just walked out of a bike shop that's currently getting a new Krampus ready for me.... thanks for the 135 pages of comments, really helped doing my homework! Will pick it up at the end of the day... cannot wait! Now I have to find out more about trails in and around London....
    You will love it. Mine was new on saturday and I could not get off of it. Can't wait till this coming weekend as well!!!
    '15 Surly Krampus

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Swinley forest

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2016

Krampus sizing and instigator?

Long time lurker, first time poster... I've been researching for a new bike for some time, jumped from a Fat Tire (wednesday), to 27.5+ hard tail (orbea loki), to 26+ (instigator), till i landed on the Kramous. I'm looking for a trail bike primarily single track that can run over anything, grind some gravel, and take on an occasional bikepacking trip. I live in midwest so climbs are never too long but their are some decent steep ravines.

After reading most of these pages i'm leaning to the Krampus but still considering the Instigator... My hang up is sizing. I'm 5'9"+ and have a 31.25" cycle inseam. Would that equate to a small Krampus? I would like to run a frame/seat/bar bag for packing and am concerned with the clearence on a small...but this will only be a couple of times a year. Should i keep the Instigator in mind? what do you think about seat & stem options for set back?

I'm going to the LBS later today to help get sized and ask them as well and hopefully put an order in!

mtbr member
    Medium
    BBB (big beautiful bike)

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by joemac84 View Post

After reading most of these pages i'm leaning to the Krampus but still considering the Instigator... My hang up is sizing. I'm 5'9"+ and have a 31.25" cycle inseam. Would that equate to a small Krampus? I would like to run a frame/seat/bar bag for packing and am concerned with the clearence on a small...but this will only be a couple of times a year. Should i keep the Instigator in mind? what do you think about seat & stem options for set back?

I'm going to the LBS later today to help get sized and ask them as well and hopefully put an order in!
    5'8" here, run my saddle 73-74cm above the center of the crank. not sure what my cycling inseam is.
    i'm on a medium... and happy with that choice

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by joemac84 View Post
    My hang up is sizing. I'm 5'9"+ and have a 31.25" cycle inseam. Would that equate to a small Krampus? I would like to run a frame/seat/bar bag for packing and am concerned with the clearence on a small...but this will only be a couple of times a year.

I wear size 32" inseam pants. This ^^^ is a medium Krampus with a Porcelain Rocket Mr. Fusion V2 seat bag.

Mr. Fusion V2 | Custom Bicycle Bags - The Porcelain Rocket

This bag has metal stays which prevent it from sagging and keep it super stable on rough terrain. I've toured with several folks that had their soft seat bags sag into their rear tire. The bags looked fine at home, but after hours of banging around on the trail they moved lower enough to be a problem. So for shorter riders the metal stay design seatbag is pretty important.

If in doubt contact Scott at Porcelain Rocket and ask him what he thinks. He's about your height and familiar with the Krampus and has access to one to test fit a bag. He's likely got a pretty good idea of what the best solution is.

The other option is using a rear rack with a dry bag strapped to the top when you bikepack or need to carry cargo.

The benefits are:

- cheaper than a highend bikepacking seat bag
    - no bag rub
    - very stable
    - dropper compatible
    - easy install/removal
    - depending on rack can be used with panniers for utility rides

The photo above ^^^ is a prototype ultra-light bikepacking rack I just got in. Sorry no mounted pics yet...that's my job this weekend.

Same bike ^^^ with a normal OMM touring rack on it. Over kill for strapping a dry bag to, but works just fine and can be shared with an other bike you have.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I'm 5'7" with a 33.3 " inseam on a small, and wish I'd gotten the medium. Since i have Jones bars, the the reach is effectively shortened, and the size small has a tiny diamond opening with only one set of bottle cage bosses. Something they don't mention on the website. It's problematic for bike packing. And for me, I have so much exposed seat post it's odd looking. (Actually, the ECR medium would probably fit me perfectly, the Krampus medium is longer, but it sounds ideal for you. I do use a zero offset seat post to try and get my knees over the pedals, which brings me forward....

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    If a person at 5'6"ish wants to get into the midfat bikes and they are deciding between a Krampus and an Instigator. Why not go for the Instigator since it is on sale, apparently for $1350. That is a great bike at that bike at the price. You could always add a Krampus at a later date to your collection.

wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman29 View Post
    If a person at 5'6"ish wants to get into the midfat bikes and they are deciding between a Krampus and an Instigator. Why not go for the Instigator since it is on sale, apparently for $1350. That is a great bike at that bike at the price. You could always add a Krampus at a later date to your collection.
    as of last week the Krampus was on sale too. not sure what the price is though? I want to say 20% off putting it close to the Instigator, not sure though.
    Rigid SS 29er
    Fat Lefty
    29+

SS cyclocross
    all steel

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Is that both the Krampus and the Krampus ops on sale or just the Krampus? I want a Krampus but people might have me committed to the nut house if I add another 29+ bike. I have the ROS9+ in Tampa and the Stache 5 in Illinois.

noob bikepacker
    It is just the Krampus. they are merging the 2 models in Oct from what I hear. I got mine for a steal b/c Surly is encouraging some of their dealers to sell at discounted prices to move product...
    '15 Surly Krampus

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    It is just the Krampus. they are merging the 2 models in Oct from what I hear. I got mine for a steal b/c Surly is encouraging some of their dealers to sell at discounted prices to move product...
    So you're hearing that they're eliminating the regular Krampus and going to the Ops only or they're commonizing to a single new model?

noob bikepacker
    From what my LBS owner said, it sounds like they are going with just the Ops...it will become the single Krampus. I don't know if they are then going to introduce some other bike in the "empty slot"...I alos hear the new model might not be in the sparkly green either if that matters
    '15 Surly Krampus

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Thank you all for the tips and advice. can't wait to swing my leg over the medium krampus!

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Drliamski View Post
    Swinley forest

Great tip ! went there today, if briefly, and it's a nice area. Will definitely return.

I also found out there is a cycle route in Hampstead Heath (nothing like Swinley... but it's close to home, nice and hilly... good to get some exercise...).

Now that I am starting to ride it... definitely like the size (I ride a large) and the + wheels - feel nice and stable at speed and on mud/gravel. One thing, I often wish for more gearing when climbing. Might sacrifice the space of the smallest gear for a larger one. Has anyone done that? Or shall I shush and just work those muscles up?

Also got my first flat... going tubeless next on the list.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Where are you based.? I'm in crouch end! Be interested in seeing your krampus

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    for sure. I'm in Hampstead, not far !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I will be taking the bike on Monday or Tuesday after work for a roll at Lordship pump track... You got any local spots that you ride?

mtbr member
    From what my LBS owner said, it sounds like they are going with just the Ops...it will become the single Krampus. I don't know if they are then going to introduce some other bike in the "empty slot"...I alos hear the new model might not be in the sparkly green either if that matters
    I've exchanged emails with Bob @ Surly regarding availability of large Krampus and Krampus OPS frames.

"The Krampus is undergoing some development and will be available again in late October (both complete bikes and framesets). The "Ops" version will no longer be available, just the standard Krampus."

Which is a bummer.

I'm struggling with size as well. I initially assumed I'd ride a large, but I've always been happy with a 24" effective top tube on my bikes. So at a 6' 1.75", 32" jeans inseam, would I be good on a medium? Or a large with a short stem...?

Def prefer an ops frame.
    --Reamer

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by reamer41 View Post
    I've exchanged emails with Bob @ Surly regarding availability of large Krampus and Krampus OPS frames.

"The Krampus is undergoing some development and will be available again in late October (both complete bikes and framesets). The "Ops" version will no longer be available, just the standard Krampus."

Which is a bummer.

I'm struggling with size as well. I initially assumed I'd ride a large, but I've always been happy with a 24" effective top tube on my bikes. So at a 6' 1.75", 32" jeans inseam, would I be good on a medium? Or a large with a short stem...?

Def prefer an ops frame.
    I'm 5'7" on a small, and wish I'd gotten a medium.

So, large.

wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by reamer41 View Post

Which is a bummer.

Def prefer an ops frame.
    that's surprising to hear, and contrary to what i've heard until now, that the Krampus will live on and the OPS will die. obviously rumors, but the opposite of what i thought.

now i'm eager to know what the new "development" will be.

size wise you would fit a Large nicely. I'm 6'3" and prefer 24.5-25" ETT. i thought the XL would be slightly big and i would need a shorter stem but it's perfect.
    Rigid SS 29er
    Fat Lefty
    29+

SS cyclocross
    all steel

mtbr member
    I think it's the Ops name that is dying. If anything the new Krampus will resemble the Ops more than the original, really the only thing separating the frames is the MDS drops and I don't think they would move away from those. I could also see a more dropper friendly seat tube size on the new one.

hispanic mechanic
    Be nice to see them shorten the chainstays, not sure if that'll happen.

Los
    Whiskey is my yoga.

dongerparty.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I spoke to Surly the other day and found out that a 110 spaced fork was not in the works at the moment, but just as the ICT was designed with the same hub compatibility specs as the Bluto, they would probably redesign a Krampus fork if the industry started pumping out proper 29+ forks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by sslos View Post
    Be nice to see them shorten the chainstays, not sure if that'll happen.

Los
    get the non-ops version and they get pretty d@mn short.

mtbr member
    You got a measurement on that? Surly lists them as the same length on both versions.

noob bikepacker
    I think it's the Ops name that is dying. If anything the new Krampus will resemble the Ops more than the original, really the only thing separating the frames is the MDS drops and I don't think they would move away from those. I could also see a more dropper friendly seat tube size on the new one.
    this is what I heard from the owner of the LBS where I bought mine. He is an "Intergalactic" dealer so I feel that he probably has some kind of "in".
    '15 Surly Krampus

hispanic mechanic
    Yeeeaahhhh... I'm not sure I'd classify 17.5" as particularly short.
    I'd hope for some tweaking to get under 17".
    I don't know if that's feasible while maintaining the versatility that make Surlys so great, though.

Los
    Whiskey is my yoga.

dongerparty.com

Members who have read this thread: 600