Page 33 of 42 FirstFirst ... 23293031323334353637 ... LastLast
Results 3,201 to 3,300 of 4155

Thread: Surly Krampus

mtbr member
    The Rohloff is heavy and so are any real 29+ tires.

I've got about 8yrs of Rohloff use and other IGHs under my belt. Riding alone and with a wide variety of other folks. When I am moving around my unloaded bike at home I definitely notice the weight of the IGH. However, out on tour I don't. My bike with camping gear is heavy even with lighter weight items and I am no faster or slower than I'd expect to be relative to my trip partners.

If conditions get more challenging with heavy dust or mud the Rohloff definitely makes my life easier since it shift/pedals as well coated in mud as it does sparkling clean. It also helps during crappy HAB section since I don't have to spend mental energy protecting my low hanging dérailleur.

I've never been one to notice POE changes not sure why. I ride very slow techy terrain where that should matter and I have a variety of hubs with different POE, but that aspect of my bikes never affects me in a way I can appreciate as a significant difference.

I'm [slowly] building up a new rear wheel for my Krampus with a Hope hub that I'll run as 1x or SS. That way between the front wheel [Hope + Rabbit Hole] and two rear wheels [Rohloff or Hope + Rabbit Hole] I'll have 3 different configurations I can use.

I'm curious if I'll notice any practical difference due to the reduced IGH vs. 1x/SS weight.

I'm also curious if I'll regret not having the IGH when stuff gets messy.

On the tire end of things I am sold on 29+ rubber for bikepacking. They just feel so much better than any 29er tire I've used I can't imagine going back. Similarly to my [non-scientific] observations with the Rohloff when I've been riding with other folks on a variety of different wheel/tire sizes I have not seen any noticeable drawback to the heavier 29+ rubber.

If you aren't feeling satisfied with your Krampus you are doing the right thing by experimenting with other options. It can't hurt to get some fresh insights into your bike.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    The Rohloff is heavy and so are any real 29+ tires.

I've got about 8yrs of Rohloff use and other IGHs under my belt. Riding alone and with a wide variety of other folks. When I am moving around my unloaded bike at home I definitely notice the weight of the IGH. However, out on tour I don't. My bike with camping gear is heavy even with lighter weight items and I am no faster or slower than I'd expect to be relative to my trip partners.

If conditions get more challenging with heavy dust or mud the Rohloff definitely makes my life easier since it shift/pedals as well coated in mud as it does sparkling clean. It also helps during crappy HAB section since I don't have to spend mental energy protecting my low hanging dérailleur.

I've never been one to notice POE changes not sure why. I ride very slow techy terrain where that should matter and I have a variety of hubs with different POE, but that aspect of my bikes never affects me in a way I can appreciate as a significant difference.

I'm [slowly] building up a new rear wheel for my Krampus with a Hope hub that I'll run as 1x or SS. That way between the front wheel [Hope + Rabbit Hole] and two rear wheels [Rohloff or Hope + Rabbit Hole] I'll have 3 different configurations I can use.

I'm curious if I'll notice any practical difference due to the reduced IGH vs. 1x/SS weight.

I'm also curious if I'll regret not having the IGH when stuff gets messy.

On the tire end of things I am sold on 29+ rubber for bikepacking. They just feel so much better than any 29er tire I've used I can't imagine going back. Similarly to my [non-scientific] observations with the Rohloff when I've been riding with other folks on a variety of different wheel/tire sizes I have not seen any noticeable drawback to the heavier 29+ rubber.

If you aren't feeling satisfied with your Krampus you are doing the right thing by experimenting with other options. It can't hurt to get some fresh insights into your bike.
    Vik - I love this bike... the history here goes like this:

Picked up Krampus early fall last year, rode it in the local woods and on 1 overnight as a 1x10. Happy. Happy. Even felt super confident on my local trails - I started riding stuff that I normally am pretty cautious on...

Found a good price on the Rohloff, just as winter was setting in. Put the Rohloff on... and put the studs on about the same time. My riding went from woods and mixed terrain to pretty much forest roads and roads and some bike path snow and ice riding... I didn't really notice a difference in feel of the engagement.

Then come this spring, started riding trails more, noticed something was off. Maybe its me. I'm not a strong MTB / techy rider... but I want to get better. I noticed I would stall out more when trying to ratchet through things, or even stall out if I paused on top of a log or switchback to assess the trail and reposition the front wheel. That didn't seem to happen in 1x10 mode with the stock build. It wasn't until a local shop guy borrowed my bike to try out the Rohloff as he wants to build a 29+ trail / adventure bike. He thought he'd go all in on the Rohloff... but has scratched that because the Rohloff is like 22d or more to get engaged (we played with my bike and another shop bike in the stand watching the wheels turn and listening for the clicks...). He's used to i9 hubs and those have 3d before they engage... I won't have anything that tight... but I did start paying attention in the woods and I think it may be part of my problem losing confidence in techy terrain.

And like I said... the weight isn't that big a deal to me overall - I do want a lighter trail bike... but if I want that I'll need to swap wheels or something. No getting around 29+ weights. I can tell you I will miss the big tires on my testing of the hub engagement. I'm not sure how I'll handle that when I come to analyze the bike... but I'll figure it out. Maybe go 29+ front and just roll on the rear SS for awhile.

So, perhaps I go SS for the local trail centers and my local woods (thinking about having an aluminum piece machined to bolt my Rohloff shifter to when I swap wheels) and use the Rohloff for backpacking / camping / touring / gravel grinding / etc.

Or its in my head and I need more saddle time and I need to gain confidence that I can ride in the techy stuff and I just need to get used to the bike...

But its not about weight. I'd love to drop some # from the build, but I'm not going to spend the $$ now on carbon rims, or a new frame, etc.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bmike View Post
    Vik - I love this bike... the history here goes like this:

Picked up Krampus early fall last year, rode it in the local woods and on 1 overnight as a 1x10. Happy. Happy. Even felt super confident on my local trails - I started riding stuff that I normally am pretty cautious on...

Found a good price on the Rohloff, just as winter was setting in. Put the Rohloff on... and put the studs on about the same time. My riding went from woods and mixed terrain to pretty much forest roads and roads and some bike path snow and ice riding... I didn't really notice a difference in feel of the engagement.

Then come this spring, started riding trails more, noticed something was off. Maybe its me. I'm not a strong MTB / techy rider... but I want to get better. I noticed I would stall out more when trying to ratchet through things, or even stall out if I paused on top of a log or switchback to assess the trail and reposition the front wheel. That didn't seem to happen in 1x10 mode with the stock build. It wasn't until a local shop guy borrowed my bike to try out the Rohloff as he wants to build a 29+ trail / adventure bike. He thought he'd go all in on the Rohloff... but has scratched that because the Rohloff is like 22d or more to get engaged (we played with my bike and another shop bike in the stand watching the wheels turn and listening for the clicks...). He's used to i9 hubs and those have 3d before they engage... I won't have anything that tight... but I did start paying attention in the woods and I think it may be part of my problem losing confidence in techy terrain.

And like I said... the weight isn't that big a deal to me overall - I do want a lighter trail bike... but if I want that I'll need to swap wheels or something. No getting around 29+ weights. I can tell you I will miss the big tires on my testing of the hub engagement. I'm not sure how I'll handle that when I come to analyze the bike... but I'll figure it out. Maybe go 29+ front and just roll on the rear SS for awhile.

So, perhaps I go SS for the local trail centers and my local woods (thinking about having an aluminum piece machined to bolt my Rohloff shifter to when I swap wheels) and use the Rohloff for backpacking / camping / touring / gravel grinding / etc.

Or its in my head and I need more saddle time and I need to gain confidence that I can ride in the techy stuff and I just need to get used to the bike...

But its not about weight. I'd love to drop some # from the build, but I'm not going to spend the $$ now on carbon rims, or a new frame, etc.
    So wait, let me get this straight, your bike got a bunch lighter when you removed the 29+ wheels/tires and the Rohloff rear hub and swapped them for some singlespeed 29er wheels???

The way I see it, that's not a fair comparison. If you swapped in a 2x10 drivetrain on 29+ wheels, that would be more comparable. That setup would certainly be lighter than the Rohloff setup, but not by 8 something lbs.

I guess you need to look at what you are trying to achieve. It sounds like the Rohloff build is something you could ride for weeks at a time on dirt roads and trails across South America without worrying about much. It's built to be reliable and low maintenance. It's not built to be nimble on NE techy singletrack. If that was the goal, you would have built it up differently.

I say you do this: Keep the Rohloff on the Krampus for your bikepacking/adventure bike. You mentioned a Pugs as well, maybe set that up as the 3 season trail bike with 29+ or 27.5+ wheels with an eye on weight savings.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeny View Post
    So wait, let me get this straight, your bike got a bunch lighter when you removed the 29+ wheels/tires and the Rohloff rear hub and swapped them for some singlespeed 29er wheels???

The way I see it, that's not a fair comparison. If you swapped in a 2x10 drivetrain on 29+ wheels, that would be more comparable. That setup would certainly be lighter than the Rohloff setup, but not by 8 something lbs.

I guess you need to look at what you are trying to achieve. It sounds like the Rohloff build is something you could ride for weeks at a time on dirt roads and trails across South America without worrying about much. It's built to be reliable and low maintenance. It's not built to be nimble on NE techy singletrack. If that was the goal, you would have built it up differently.

I say you do this: Keep the Rohloff on the Krampus for your bikepacking/adventure bike. You mentioned a Pugs as well, maybe set that up as the 3 season trail bike with 29+ or 27.5+ wheels with an eye on weight savings.
    It's not about the weight. I discovered that in the process of testing out some different hubs. The bike has always been heavy. I think naked in the shop with the heavy Surly tubes in it was 34 pounds. I knew it was going to lose a lot of weight. The amount surprised me.

Yes, I got the Rohloff as a do all end all solution. It just doesn't seem suited to the rocky roots that I've been riding. Not because it's got a wide gear range or is heavy - but because it doesn't engage as quickly as even an XT hub on the original build.

I didn't know this going in. Had read various things about it but never really thought about what goes on inside a normal hub when riding NE single track.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Verdict is starting to roll in... Rohloff lack of quick engagement definitely is playing a role in my lack of confidence, general suckiness to my already sucky abilities in the techy bits.

SS Krampus and a quick lunch ride on the local rocks and roots after some rain started to bear that out. I did miss the chubby tires... and the BB dropped a bit so there were a few places I was worried about pedal strike (avoided it... thankfully) - so those will be coming back. Have to do some more riding of the 2 setups.

SS Krampus Lunch Ride by Mike, on Flickr

Being able to position the pedals and ratchet or even just sit tight and dodge rocks / roots and then get power to the pedals makes a difference.

mtbr member
    I'm not surprised by your findings. I have no idea what the actual spec is for the degrees of engagement on the Rohloff (it might even be different in different gears), but it's not quick. I agree those kind of trails are better ridden on a quicker engaging hub. If you can handle riding SS, go for it, but I would miss the cush and traction of the plus size tires.

I have settled on 29+ & Rohloff for bikepacking/adventure riding and 27.5+ & 1x10 for the shorter techy stuff.

Enjoy the riding (I mean 'testing'), looks like some fun trails. BTW, where in VT are you riding?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeny View Post
    I'm not surprised by your findings. I have no idea what the actual spec is for the degrees of engagement on the Rohloff (it might even be different in different gears), but it's not quick. I agree those kind of trails are better ridden on a quicker engaging hub. If you can handle riding SS, go for it, but I would miss the cush and traction of the plus size tires.

I have settled on 29+ & Rohloff for bikepacking/adventure riding and 27.5+ & 1x10 for the shorter techy stuff.

Enjoy the riding (I mean 'testing'), looks like some fun trails. BTW, where in VT are you riding?
    Burlington. Those trails are 5 minute ride from the house... short punchy loops behind the high school. I can tie that with another park, and then some mellow single track near the river.

If I ride the Pugs (and it stops raining and the lake goes down) I can link up those trails, mellow single track, beach and bike path... enough for an hour or more depending on what loops I ride. Can't complain.

Krampus will go to Catamount this weekend for a longer ride.
    I rode a Soma Juice for a long while before I sold it to finance my Fargo. The Fargo was fun, but harder to ride on those trails... hence the move to the Krampus.

Yeah, I've got these wheels on loan for awhile. And I have another set of 1x10 wheels I can mount up. I think I might setup some spare brake levers and another bar so that I can (more) easily swap between SS and Rohloff. Just need another 180 rotor to match the Rohloff and some grips. Might be a good fun way to have 2 bikes in 1.

mtbr member
    An old MTBR thread about Rohloff POE: Internal hub engagement? Rohloff
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    thats interesting about the rohloff and poe,i had always considered one for the moonlander because i hated the hub engagement on the original xt hub...but recently i kinda finally figured the moonlander out and the hub isnt really bugging me anymore...

but the krampus,i love my hope/rabbit hole rear wheel,i do feel it helps in the techy bits...at least theres no distracting ker-thunk as the hub engages during panic pedaling...and i admit,the bike nerd in me loves the ratchet sound of the hub...

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mcim29 View Post
    Hello Friends,

Great looking whips here. I've been thinking about getting rid of my current 29er frame and possibly purchasing a 29er+ frame. I've been looking at quite a few different ones, Stache, Krampus and Ros9+. The thing I want to do is swap all my regular parts including my 29er wheels to the new rig and get 29er + wheels built up so I can just swap them out whenever I feel like it. Any thoughts and info from you all would be great.
    You won't be able to switch parts over to the Stache and the Ros9+ is not as sexy as the Krampus.

mtbr member
    Might be a good fun way to have 2 bikes in 1.
    +1 good plan.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

WNC Native
    Does anyone on here have these dropouts on their Krampus? - Breaking News | Blog | Surly Bikes
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Sep 2014

Bike packing rig in the works.

Surly Krampus-11750641_902709743128538_5607829319950163583_n.jpg

The semester is finally over so I did 25-30 miles at a new (to me) park. Temps close to 100 and lots of thunder but no rain. It was the first time taking the new cockpit and diy bag on real singletrack and I'm all smiles.
    Last edited by NickandBruce; 07-24-2015 at 08:26 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Surly Krampus

Quote Originally Posted by nitrousjunky View Post
    Does anyone on here have these dropouts on their Krampus? - Breaking News | Blog | Surly Bikes
    I just received these yesterday for an ICT, probably no help. Surely claims 17.7 chain stays w/ the original thru/direct mount shimano der. With the new chip I measure 18 approx. Running the QR the CS was 18.5. So I think for the shortest CS use the shimano direct mount. If that is your question.

Pedaling

WNC Native
    Quote Originally Posted by rjedoaks View Post
    I just received these yesterday for an ICT, probably no help. Surely claims 17.7 chain stays w/ the original thru/direct mount shimano der. With the new chip I measure 18 approx. Running the QR the CS was 18.5. So I think for the shortest CS use the shimano direct mount. If that is your question.

Pedaling
    Yeah that was basically what I was curious about, what the shortest setting with those dropouts were. With only .100" difference the CS length between the 2, your findings would have to be similar to the Krampus with these.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

Ride On
    That's too bad. I was wondering this as well. If I go Krampus I guess it will have to be the green machine... Surly quoted me different numbers but actual measurements are always better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Michael

Ride on!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I just measured again to be sure. Center of the crank/ center hub 18 1/8 approx. Originally, I never mounted the direct mount Shimano so I don't know about the claimed 17.7. Not a big deal to me, just wanted to clear that up for anyone interested.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Enjoying a skinny Krampus in single speed mode.

Catamount - I was on the SS skinny Krampus. by Mike, on Flickr

mtbr member
    Can you measure the BB height with skinny tires please?
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Will do when I get the bike off the car. No issues today on typical NE rocky roots single track. (That photo is from a lovely buffed out section in the pines...)

mtbr member
    vik, any drawbacks to putting suspension fork on it? trying to decide if i want to, or build separate bike for rougher stuff

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ELECTRIC_YETI View Post
    vik, any drawbacks to putting suspension fork on it? trying to decide if i want to, or build separate bike for rougher stuff
    Drawback to suspension fork:

- heavier
    - need to use hose clamps to attach cages to fork legs if you want to carry gear there
    - additional maintenance and risk of failure
    - need to carry shock pump [if you want ability to adjust air pressure]
    - changes headtube angle and BB height depending on specific fork[I like this, but could be an issue for some]
    - less clearance for mud/debris
    - changes cockpit geo [I needed to adjust bar/stem after slacking bike out]

I'm a suspension lover so I am surprised how little benefit I've seen from adding the 130mm fork to Krampus. The big wheels roll so well through rough stuff and you can get that front wheel up so easily it doesn't seem to be as useful as I thought it would be.

I've got a trip coming up with lots of rough steep riding in it and I've used the rigid Krampus on the same trails so it will be a good test. If I am not blow away on this trip I will be putting the rigid fork back on.

I should note I think the Float 34 is working well. It's not a problem with the suspension fork so much as an appreciation of how well the Krampus rides rigid.

I'm using my Krampus mainly for bikepacking, but we carry light gear and charge pretty hard through rough BC terrain so I really thought I'd be stoked by adding a suspension fork to the bike.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Don't really do bikepacking yet, but working on building a woods/trail trailer. A lot of my rides are what my wife calls "adventure riding", I just pick a direction and take off exploring. Sometimes that means carrying the bike through choppings or over blowdowns. I use streambeds, washouts old skidder trails etc. gets pretty rough sometimes. Opposite end of continent from you. lots of mud roots rocks... not sure if I want to completely change the Krampus though. Waffling back and forth between stock and suspension with dirt wizards. May just leave it and build 650+ hardtail. Decisions decisions

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Hey all....I've been lurking for awhile, but I think this is my first post. I read this whole thread a few weeks ago while I was waiting for my Krampus to arrive. I purchased mine to have a "simpler" option to my FS bike when things get muddy....but also just because of the reviews I've read. I have a handful of rides in on mine now.....and I'm thinking about some things. I'm contemplating on a Manitou Magnum or Whisky Carbon fork. I'd like to smooth this thing out just a bit. I ride eastern U.S. single track....lots of roots/rocks. I'm curious as to what other peoples' opinions are between the two.....or should I go another route?

Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Jcl523 View Post
    Hey all....I've been lurking for awhile, but I think this is my first post. I read this whole thread a few weeks ago while I was waiting for my Krampus to arrive. I purchased mine to have a "simpler" option to my FS bike when things get muddy....but also just because of the reviews I've read. I have a handful of rides in on mine now.....and I'm thinking about some things. I'm contemplating on a Manitou Magnum or Whisky Carbon fork. I'd like to smooth this thing out just a bit. I ride eastern U.S. single track....lots of roots/rocks. I'm curious as to what other peoples' opinions are between the two.....or should I go another route?

Thanks in advance!
    been looking at the manitou myself thinking the same thing...we dont have so much in the way of roots,but a double helping of rocks for sure...im inclined to just leave my krampus as a rigid bike because 95% of the time im perfectly happy with the way it rides,im more inclined to just get my self a full squishy bike for those times i want to crush chunder bunnies at the trails,but for just going and wandering on those days when you might be on pavement and dirt roads and maybe grab a bit of singletrack along the way,and see all sort of surface conditions,the krampus is a great bike...

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    vik:

running the stans rims with 2.3 purgatory up front and 2.3 ground control in the back the rough eyeball measurement is that is 11 1/4" to 11 3/8" to the outer surface of the outboard bearings on the Zee crank to my garage floor.

from my notes, my original krampus measurement with the 3" knard is that its 12 3/8" to the bottom of the BB.
    so i lost an inch. i cleared everything i rode yesterday on the skinny tires and then some (due to the ability to ratchet again over rough terrain).
    i did miss the float.
    i'm sure i'll miss that 1" somewhere... but haven't bottomed the pedals out yet (175 cranks).

and my pugsley with 3.8 nates on the stock 65mm wide rims is 11 3/8" - which i've ridden the same terrain as the krampus.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    went ahead and converted the krampus to single speed with a surly spacer kit,running a 32/22 now...pretty pokey on the road but it climbs well...about to head out to the trails to try it out...

Surly Krampus-001.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by hamsterspam View Post
    went ahead and converted the krampus to single speed with a surly spacer kit,running a 32/22 now...pretty pokey on the road but it climbs well...about to head out to the trails to try it out...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001.JPG 
Views:	1267 
Size:	298.2 KB 
ID:	1005044
    Nice. The more I ride mine SS the more I fall back in love with this bike. Running 34/20 with the 'little' 2.3 wheels in there. Wednesday I pick up some dirt wizard wheels that will setup the same. Gear might be a bit tall with the big wheels - but I'll have to sort that out after riding some.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    yeah,i gotta say the krampus makes an excellent single speed,the 32/22 seems to work out alright for the trails around here,it was a bit frustrating on the road on the way out to the trails but then of course once i got to the single track and started climbing i missed that big ol dinner plate 42 tooth on the back!

i made it through a pretty nasty rock garden with relative ease,the recent monsoon rains have really chewed up the trails but the 29+ tires got me out of some serious trouble yesterday...i took a little off trail jaunt after the rear wheel slid into a trench,and the rock garden had several "oh crap" moments,but those big tires just kept rolling over everything...

and once i got pointed downhill the krampus holds its speed so well it wasnt the normal single speed frustration of topping the gear out,it seemed plenty fast..

Surly Krampus-002.jpgSurly Krampus-006.jpgSurly Krampus-007.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Here are a few pics of my Krampus after a rebuild. New powdercoat, carver ti bars, Hugo rims, and a new lefty. I also cut some custom 29+ stickers for the lefty. I still need to get around to a slight trim job on the front brake hose

IMG_4454 by tim_w_sage, on Flickr
    IMG_4457 by tim_w_sage, on Flickr
    IMG_4459 by tim_w_sage, on Flickr
    IMG_4460 by tim_w_sage, on Flickr

Ride On
    Quote Originally Posted by tim_w_sage View Post
    Here are a few pics of my Krampus after a rebuild. New powdercoat, carver ti bars, Hugo rims, and a new lefty. I also cut some custom 29+ stickers for the lefty. I still need to get around to a slight trim job on the front brake hose

IMG_4454 by tim_w_sage, on Flickr
    IMG_4457 by tim_w_sage, on Flickr
    IMG_4459 by tim_w_sage, on Flickr
    IMG_4460 by tim_w_sage, on Flickr
    Tim that is a really nice job! I hope your proud of that, I would be.
    Michael

Ride on!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Continue to love the SS Krampus.

Catamount by Mike, on Flickr

WNC Native
    Continue to love the SS Krampus.

Catamount by Mike, on Flickr
    How are you liking those rims? Did the DWs play well with them?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrousjunky View Post
    How are you liking those rims? Did the DWs play well with them?
    mounted up tubeless no trouble. first ride i did a number on the front...(lofted over a root, nailed another one at speed, too low pressure as I was still figuring things out). Held air for almost a week (and several more rides) before we bent it right back at the shop. Solid, and I'm no lightweight.

Better shot of the rim dinger by Mike, on Flickr

Really like this setup. King Hubs, Scraper Rims and Dirt Wizards tubeless. Some stans tape on the rims and valves...
    Have a set of Rabbit Hole laced to a Shimano Dyno and Rohloff rear... thats a heavy set that I'll run for bikepacking.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015

recommended air compressor?

hi, i recently got new wheels built for my krampus but haven't gotten around to converting it to tubeless yet. last time, I used a bike shop's air compressor to seat the bead but I just want my own air compressor so I can do it whenever I want.

Is this a good air compressor to buy? it's a 3 gallon. im interested in it because it is SMALL and my new apartment in SF is SMALL, but would it be enough to seat the bead of the Chronicles??????

is there a go-to air compressor people agree on? or does it even matter? what should I look for when buying one (specifically for the high volume 3" tires?)
    here's a pic of my krampus

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dropperpost View Post
    hi, i recently got new wheels built for my krampus but haven't gotten around to converting it to tubeless yet. last time, I used a bike shop's air compressor to seat the bead but I just want my own air compressor so I can do it whenever I want.

Is this a good air compressor to buy? it's a 3 gallon. im interested in it because it is SMALL and my new apartment in SF is SMALL, but would it be enough to seat the bead of the Chronicles??????

is there a go-to air compressor people agree on? or does it even matter? what should I look for when buying one (specifically for the high volume 3" tires?)
    here's a pic of my krampus
    looks about the size of mine...
    you might want to look at quiet, oil free units for apartment use.

oh my TVC 15
    As long as you don't actually fire it up on your apartment floor you'll have enough air. Those tend to be pretty noisy and they vibrate the floor like mad.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Look at California Air compressors. I can't believe how quiet they are. You could have a normal phone conversation right next to one.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dropperpost View Post
    I just use CO2 cartridges to seat tubeless tires. Unless you are doing it a whole lot it's hard to see the point of owning a compressor while living in an apartment.

It also teaches you to use the tools you can carry on the trail to deal with a tubeless problem.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    So much fun, love this bike!

anything Steel

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    For those of you running Jones Bars did you find that you needed to change stem length?

mtbr member
    I am running the Jones Bend H bar in 710mm with a 100mm stem. Large frame, and the fit is perfect

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Size small Krampus with 710 mm Jones H Loop and an 80 mm 30 degree stem. Needed to bring the bars up, kind of wish i'd gone with a medium, but I have long arms and legs with a short torso on a zero offset seat post, so my sizing is a little funky (I'm female, but taller than many, so my bike geometry ends up being a little of both).I think the stem is about 2 cm's longer than it would have been with a Mary on One. And since it has a lot of rise, the effective distance is shorter. Had to play with it a lot, and definitely have a big drawer full of stems, even though I sent a lot of them back. It took a couple months to get it right ordering and returning.

I have the standard Odi locking grip length bar grips with squishy Lizard Skins tape. A lot of people use the extra long grips Jones sells, thAt brings your hands closer together, and increases reach. Ergo, longer grips may make a shorter stem necessary unless the more aggressive position is preferred. My odi grips are one of the ergo models. They were pricey, but I really like how solid they are, definitely made for technical riding. Don't have to worry about my hands slipping, or about having the Odi's slip from the bars. And I can ride all dAy on the Lizard Skin wrapped portions if need be. Altogether an expensive set-up even with the aluminum bars, but totally worth it.

i'm considering getting a Jones frame-set eventually and swapping everything out since the small krampus has so little room to carry things and I think the medium wouldn't be quite right. Looks like the ECR would fit better, but I like and am accustomed to fast handling. And this bike has that. But though I'm an experienced cyclist in the drop bar category, this is my first mountain bike, so I'll wait to see how it goes.

Surly Krampus-image.jpg

Way beyond the scope of the stem question, but I have to say I enjoy the vibe on mb forums a lot more than roadie forums. (Even though I often have no idea what you are talking about with various mechanical what-nots). Not a lot of mountain biking where I live, but seems like a great group of people in general.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Is that a Revelate feed bag on the bars? If not, what kind is it? Also, what size bottle
    (how many ounces) fits inside? Always need more water.
    Last edited by Muirenn; 08-25-2015 at 06:02 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I got a 100 mm 0 degree stem for my medium when I swapped to the Jones 710.

I'm very happy with the range that gives me between back and wide, more neutral positions, and forward and tight.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Hi guys

Currently I ride my Krampus OSP with wheels Velocty Blunt 35then tires Maxxis Chronicle and I'd like to know if there was way to have even more broad and large tires by changing either the wheels or tires see if necessary the two!

I watched the Chupacabra Bontrager, who look more wide and bulky and for rims I'd like to stay on a models in Aluminium, not too heavy (-680gr), which is mountable tubeless acoustical and especially sturdy and reliable for my 105kgs +!

For those who have had the opportunity to test the krampus with wheels type Blunt 35 and also with rims more wide type ZTR Hugo or Surly Rabbit Hole I'd like to have your opinion on the significant differences between two rims more or less wide!

Thanks in advance for your information and experiences!

Sorry for my very random English...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bnj33 View Post
    Hi guys

Currently I ride my Krampus OSP with wheels Velocty Blunt 35then tires Maxxis Chronicle and I'd like to know if there was way to have even more broad and large tires by changing either the wheels or tires see if necessary the two!

I watched the Chupacabra Bontrager, who look more wide and bulky and for rims I'd like to stay on a models in Aluminium, not too heavy (-680gr), which is mountable tubeless acoustical and especially sturdy and reliable for my 105kgs +!

For those who have had the opportunity to test the krampus with wheels type Blunt 35 and also with rims more wide type ZTR Hugo or Surly Rabbit Hole I'd like to have your opinion on the significant differences between two rims more or less wide!

Thanks in advance for your information and experiences!

Sorry for my very random English...
    If you use wider rims you'll spread out a 29+ tire a little more, but the effect is not huge. If you have a good wheelset you like that's 35mm wide I wouldn't bother spending a lot of $$ on wider rims to get a slightly wider flatter profile tire.

My Krampus is rolling on Rabbit Holes, before that I used narrow Stan's Flow rims that were around ~25mm wide. I didn't like the 25mm rims as much at the 50mm Rabbit Holes.

I'm just in the process of building up some Velocity Blunt 35's for my Krampus. I think that's a great compromise between width and weight while staying with a AL rim.

BTW - The Rabbit Holes have been 100% reliable tubeless for me for 2 seasons.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I'm rather happy with my current wheels Velocity Blunt35 - Hope - CXRay, the only thing that can be "unpleasant" but it may also be somewhat normal, it's support following the pressure, if the latter and too low I feel that my rear tyre collapsed sideways if you understand what I mean! And so I was wondering if with a wider rim and therefore a more flat tire square and less round this feeling would disappear!

What do you recommend as wheels wider than the Blunt35 (I do not want Rabbit Hole, too heavy) which remains in a reasonable weight range and that is solid (I do 105kgs +).

I've seen the Dually (39mm internal and 675gr) that have a very good reputation, the WTB Scraper (45mm internal and 712gr), the ZTR Hugo (50mm internal and 780gr) or the SunRigle Mulefut 50 (45mm internal and 655gr).

If you have any experiences with the Mulefut 50 I'm interested because their ratio width / weight is interresting but worth therme of solidity and reliability!

mtbr member
    What do you recommend as wheels wider than the Blunt35 (I do not want Rabbit Hole, too heavy) which remains in a reasonable weight range and that is solid (I do 105kgs +).

I've seen the Dually (39mm internal and 675gr) that have a very good reputation, the WTB Scraper (45mm internal and 712gr), the ZTR Hugo (50mm internal and 780gr) or the SunRigle Mulefut 50 (45mm internal and 655gr).
    Just so we are clear the Rabbit Hole is ~699g and if you think they are too heavy than Dually's, WTB Scrappers and the Hugo are all off the menu as well.

Light Bicycle makes a carbon rim that's 31.6mm internal and ~450g. They also make a 45mm internal width rim that's ~490g
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Yes for me the Rabbit Hole are too heavy, so actually the ZTR Hugo and the WTB Scraper are also too heavy! For rims I want aluminum I don't want carbon!
    So the Dually and the Mulefut find the best! The question that I ask myself this is what rims more wide this will enhance this effect of tire working laterally in support?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Yes for me the Rabbit Hole are too heavy, so actually the ZTR Hugo and the WTB Scraper are also too heavy! For rims I want aluminum I don't want carbon!
    So the Dually and the Mulefut find the best! The question that I ask myself this is what rims more wide this will enhance this effect of tire working laterally in support?
    scraper, 712g
    mulefut, 655g
    hugo, 622g
    dually,675g

i like my rabbit holes, i prefer the scrapers... tubeless ready to go, no need for split tubes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Not the Hugo ZTR are now at 780gr was the first series that was to 622gr.

ZTR Hugo 52 29+ Rim

Actually the Scraper are a bit heavier than the Rabbit Hole but they will be more easily mountable in Tubeless as the Mulefut...

Now the Mulefut have a width-to-weight ratio really interresting!

For my 232lbs I inflates to 17psi back and 13psi front of my Maxxis Chronicle on my Velocity Blunt 35.

In fact I do not know if this happened to some of you but I have my rear tyre that Pearl of the Notubes latex at the level of the flanks while the tyre before Maxxis Chronicle is also perfectly quenches!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    mcim29,

All three (Stache,Krampus and ROS9+) are great bikes, and any of them would be a great decision. You probably don't have to worry about your old 29er because you probably won't have the desire to ride it after you get your 29+.

I have the ROS9+ and the Stache 5 (ROS9+ if Florida and Stache 5 in Illinois), both are fun, both shift well, and the Aluminum Stache 5 with carbon fork doesn't seem to be a harsher ride than the Steel when you account for the the 3" tires (Although, the Ilinios (Stache 5) trails seem to be less root as the Florida (ROS9+) trails).

I paid $2550 for the ROS9+ and $1600 for the Stache 5 - You would like either of these bikes, but with being able to buy a Krampus or Stache 5 in the $1600 range and still have a cool fun bike maybe one of those two are the best choice.

I am stilling thinking on converting one of my regular 29ers to a Krampus SS as my regular 29ers get no attention now. And, Krampuses (or Krampi) are cool looking especial as SS.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I totally agree with you Sandman29, 1 years ago I had a Rocky Mountain Element and a Kona Unit semi rigid, I tasted at the 29'+ amount my Unit in Front 29'+, since I sold the Rocky to buy me Surly Krampus on which I ride for almost 6 months and honestly I have no desire to get back on my Unit both the Krampus (29'+) is awesome!

Incidentally I'm considering even to sell my Unit in the more or less near future to mount me in addition to the Krampus (29'+) a Fat Bike for outputs more "brittle" or I could be any rigid Krampus limit.

One thing is sure is that I will have in the future always a 29'+ in the garage!

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    hi. i recently got this medium desert tan Krampus in a trade for my large, which was the original moonlit swamp green color. I have been missing that color, and before i get mine repainted, i thought if anyone is interested here in this color, maybe we could arrange a trade for your moonlit swamp MEDIUM krampus frameset.

otherwise, does anyone know of a bicycle painter in San Francisco who is familiar with bicycle painting and could repaint my Krampus for me?

Ride On
    Krampus experts, wondering if you could help me with wheel build information. I just finished building up a Krampus and am planning the new wheel set. I've decided on the LB carbon 50mm rims. My concern is specific to some posts I've read about folks having issues with spokes running into brake callipers particularly the front. I currently have the Krampus set up with Flow rims and fairly standard Sun Ringle hubs and do notice its pretty close (approx. 5mm or less with Deore M615). Has anyone used these rims before? Would getting the offset rim be a solution. Any advice is appreciated.
    Michael

Ride on!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Nice. The more I ride mine SS the more I fall back in love with this bike. Running 34/20 with the 'little' 2.3 wheels in there. Wednesday I pick up some dirt wizard wheels that will setup the same. Gear might be a bit tall with the big wheels - but I'll have to sort that out after riding some.
    Also on a SS Krampus. Running 32/19 with 2.4" on the front, and 2.25 on the rear with Blunt p35's. Nice for sea-level and dune climbing. Might invest in an internal hub, one day. But this bike is perfect as a SS fun-buggy.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    More pedal strikes with regular 29er tires? Curious. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Does your wife in Illinois know about your wife in Florida? I think I saw a made for tv movie about you a few years ago. LOL.

Ride On
    Love this thing.
    Surly Krampus-imageuploadedbytapatalk1443499664.388997.jpg
    Surly Krampus-imageuploadedbytapatalk1443499701.270341.jpg
    Surly Krampus-imageuploadedbytapatalk1443499716.579522.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Michael

Ride on!

aka: SpeedyChix
    Apr 2005
    Show your Krampus some love
    Last edited by SpeedyChix; 10-25-2015 at 05:28 PM.
    Adrenaline junkie.
    2x "big c" and enjoying life.

mtbr member

My Krampus fan boi 3yr review ----> https://vikapproved.wordpress.com/20...us-3yr-review/
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    That's perfect!!! Good job.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Just picked it up last night.
    Large Stock Build

Mods:
    Swapped Sram PG1070 for Shimano XT
    Removed Stickers from:
    -Seat tube
    -Down tube
    -Fork
    -Prob gonna remove "fff" stickers
    -Might take off head tube badge
    Selle SMP PRO saddle stolen from other bike
    Pedals stolen from other bike

Future Mods:
    Seatpost (I am already over max height limit on stock post @ 6'2")
    Maybe split tube
    RF NW 34t (color?)
    ODI Rouge grips
    Solid spacer to replace the (5) currently (duh)
    Remove Chain guide
    Slam rear wheel all-da-way forward
    Maxxis Chronicals
    Garmin GPS mount
    Pedals
    Saddle
    Intertube CS protector

Surly Krampus-018.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    [QUOTE=jonshonda;12233909]Just picked it up last night.
    Large Stock Build

Jonshonda,
    I know you had/have a 907 fatbike. I will be interested in hearing what you think of the krampus compared to your fatbike. I have a 170mm 907 and have considered a krampus often ever since they were released. I am curious about sizing. What is your inseam or biking inseam (Rivendell bikes refers to it that way) if you know it?? I am 5"10 with a 33" pants inseam and 36" rivendell inseam IIRC. I struggle with bike fit since i need the seatpost extension to get a good pedal stroke but then struggle to reach the bars unless using a shorter stem. Imagine T-Rex pedaling a bike and you have a pretty good picture. Anyhow, looking forward to your comments.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I can't give opinions on how it compares to a 9zero7 yet, but I can offer my thoughts on the geo of the Krampus. It is a pretty stretched out tt in comparison to the rest of the bike. The issue is with the latest AM geo, is the front end is fairly low and long. I am guessing you would need a frame that has what most would consider poor standover (for the longer legs, long seat tube), and a short top tube.

I don't know my cycling inseam, but I do know that I run my saddle 31-5/8" from center of BB to top of saddle.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Team HB, maybe a flat-bar on a Deadwood in L or XL would work for you.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    Just picked it up last night.
    Large Stock Build

Mods:
    Swapped Sram PG1070 for Shimano XT
    Removed Stickers from:
    -Seat tube
    -Down tube
    -Fork
    -Prob gonna remove "fff" stickers
    -Might take off head tube badge
    Selle SMP PRO saddle stolen from other bike
    Pedals stolen from other bike

Future Mods:
    Seatpost (I am already over max height limit on stock post @ 6'2")
    Maybe split tube
    RF NW 34t (color?)
    ODI Rouge grips
    Solid spacer to replace the (5) currently (duh)
    Remove Chain guide
    Slam rear wheel all-da-way forward
    Maxxis Chronicals
    Garmin GPS mount
    Pedals
    Saddle
    Intertube CS protector

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	018.jpg 
Views:	465 
Size:	152.4 KB 
ID:	1019896
    when i first got a set of chronicles for mine i couldnt slam the rear wheel all the way forward...its by far the biggest of the 3 inch tires i have seen...im running a dirt wizard on the back and a knard up front now which is a combo im really liking so far...the chronicles do have a bit of self steer and i wore out the rear tire in about 2000 miles but otherwise i was very pleased with them,they withstood some harsh,rocky conditions and shrugged off the desert plants and goatheads...

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    G0025116 by Mike, on Flickr

Untitled by Mike, on Flickr

Single Speed Krampus @ Chandler Ridge and Leicester Hollow in GMNF, VT.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    FrankZappa, thanks I will keep that in mind. I had rode an XL krampus briefly in a parking lot and it actually seemed to fit well but I always wonder if I would be better off with a L especially with a bike that seems to be known for "running big".

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I am guessing you would need a frame that has what most would consider poor standover (for the longer legs, long seat tube), and a short top tube.

I don't know my cycling inseam, but I do know that I run my saddle 31-5/8" from center of BB to top of saddle.[/QUOTE]

Jonshonda, thanks you pretty much nailed my fit "issues". I did ride an XL krampus briefly and it seemed to fit well. I have briefly tried other riders bikes and often they are shocked that I can ride without adjusting their seat due to the height differential between us. I do prefer shorter stems for trail bikes so at least I have that in my favor for these types of bikes. I look forward to more reports on the krampus!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    You Guys all have great taste. All my friends can't understand why I want one of these uniquley beautiful rigs... what do they know, they all drink crappy beer. I was hoping to find out if any of you Krampus veterans have a word of wisdom on the two finishes offered (matte black on OPS VS Swamp green)? I can order either from a LBS but have never seen the black matte in person. I am a bit concerned in how durable the matte black finish is. Sorry if is not the right thread for this... its my first post . Cheers

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Honeybadger View Post
    Jonshonda, thanks you pretty much nailed my fit "issues". I did ride an XL krampus briefly and it seemed to fit well.
    I am thinking a large frame w/ 50-70mm stem and 190mm cranks would be really good for you. The thing that sucks about a Krampus is the 2" of spacers you need to get a decent saddle/bar drop. Would is have really killed them to get that headtube a bit longer?

Quick questions for peeps:

1) When I slam my rear wheel all the way forward in the drops, the tire almost makes contact with the chain stay on the drive-side. I am guessing that is not correct. I was really looking forward to slamming it forward and not having to worry about centering the tire.

2) What is a better solution than the quick release for the rear hub? It seems really cumbersome and even like a poor after thought to have a QR like that.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I am thinking a large frame w/ 50-70mm stem and 190mm cranks would be really good for you. The thing that sucks about a Krampus is the 2" of spacers you need to get a decent saddle/bar drop. Would is have really killed them to get that headtube a bit longer?

Quick questions for peeps:

1) When I slam my rear wheel all the way forward in the drops, the tire almost makes contact with the chain stay on the drive-side. I am guessing that is not correct. I was really looking forward to slamming it forward and not having to worry about centering the tire.

2) What is a better solution than the quick release for the rear hub? It seems really cumbersome and even like a poor after thought to have a QR like that.
    Bolt on hub or get the DTSwiss RWS. I have a set and like them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Bolt on hub or get the DTSwiss RWS. I have a set and like them.
    Stop making me spend $$ jerk! haha

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Stop making me spend $$ jerk! haha
    The steel MTB RWS are reasonable $$.

You could try duct tape or old chewing gum. That would be cheap.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    The steel MTB RWS are reasonable $$.

You could try duct tape or old chewing gum. That would be cheap.
    I will look into them.

Now to figure out what I will do about the dropout missalignment. Hoping the dish of the wheel is just off a bit.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I will look into them.

Now to figure out what I will do about the dropout missalignment. Hoping the dish of the wheel is just off a bit.
    If the dish is spot on check the dropout for extra paint / material. If there's nothing file down the offending side.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    If the dish is spot on check the dropout for extra paint / material. If there's nothing file down the offending side.
    Sounds like a plan to me!

Dive Bomber
    Hi, I am planning to get the Krampus fork for my 26" bike since I want go rigid with less change in the geometry.

My current fork length is around 470mm(80mm travel) and the Krampus according to Surly web it's 483mm. Also I might change into 27.5 rigid in the future would this fork length enough?

Please give advice and inputs. I include the pics of my bike.

Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Surly Krampus-blackjack.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    G0055377 by Mike, on Flickr

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Well I have have my Surly Krampus for over a year now and the temptation to buy the new Trek Stache or Cannondale Beast from the East were very tempting, but I just could not justify the expense. So I figured the Krampus was due some upgrades and some tidying up.
    So I ordered a pair of Manitou Forks to suit, a new crown race, and a new boost hope hub and a couple of other bits to update or improve it slightly.
    The frame was stripped and cleaned up, I then sprayed the Swampgas green with Camo Tan vinyl spray paint and added black decals to give it a somewhat military look.
    The White rim strips were removed and replace with camo gorilla tape, I did try tubeless but gave up in frustration, then fitted Maxxis Hookworms and lightweight tubes.
    Other updates have been, Truvativ blackbox carbon bars, Answer stem, Shimano Zee drivetrain, Shimano Saint hybrid brakes, Thudbuster seatpost, Hope discs, hope front and rear hubs, Raceface narrow wide chainring, and a Dabomb seat.

So far I like it and it is my urban commuter and all round fun bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Hardly stunt, Am interested in your input on the boost front end and Hope hubs.
    I have a rigid fork and want to go suspension and thinking of doing your upgrade.
    Do you really notice the additional stiffness? precision?

mtbr member
    Does anyone know if the new 2016 Fox Float 34 (part# 910-01-924) would fit on the Krampus and clear Chronicles on Dually Rims? Seriously looking for suspension, but don't want to build another wheel to accommodate a boost 110mm interface.

mtbr member
    Awesome bikes guys, I just went thru the whole thread last night and today.

I just sold my Stache 5 to a good friend and ordered a Krampus frame to build (SS of course lol). I've never ridden a Krampus but want the steel frame. This thread made me want one even more!

Here is the Stache 5 that will be going to a new home after Christmas:

Sent from my Galaxy Note 5

29ers Forever
    Quote Originally Posted by floorguy724 View Post
    Awesome bikes guys, I just went thru the whole thread last night and today.

I just sold my Stache 5 to a good friend and ordered a Krampus frame to build (SS of course lol). I've never ridden a Krampus but want the steel frame. This thread made me want one even more!

Here is the Stache 5 that will be going to a new home after Christmas:

Interesting how you decided to go from a relatively agile trail bike to a heavy and sluggish bikepacking rig.

Tell us how they compare when you get a chance to ride the Krampus.
    I almost bought a Krampus for $800 earlier this year but then decided I'd rather spend that on a decent road bike, my LBS had 2 Krampuses in stock for 3 years and can't seem to get rid of them.

mtbr member
    Will do.

I have always liked the ride of steel better than aluminum. While the Trek is awesome and light, I think I'd prefer the ride of the Krampus despite the heavier weight.

We'll see how it all works out....

Beer Please! SuperModerator
    Stay on topic guys.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

Know these before you post:
    MTBR Forum Posting Rules
    e-bike sub-forum rules

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    New krampus from northern of Spain

Surly Krampus-prl4o-7aqfvikbfceehordpxm76trz2skenhfsj1fnq-2048x1152-custom-.jpgSurly Krampus-_me40coxxfvxvs-1s30nhtznywcy8b6tgmcwejynwhy-2048x1152-custom-.jpgSurly Krampus-1913935_10208435309299342_8657491981625006518_n-custom-.jpg

no brain no pain
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbac View Post
    New krampus from northern of Spain
    nice!

and in the belgian mud

Surly Krampus-oggl_0010-18-.thumb.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by TuTone T View Post
    Hardly stunt, Am interested in your input on the boost front end and Hope hubs.
    I have a rigid fork and want to go suspension and thinking of doing your upgrade.
    Do you really notice the additional stiffness? precision?
    The Magnum is stiffer than a rock shox for sure, a lot more adjustment and a little pricey but worth it I think in the comfort stakes, not much else that suits it straight off of the shelf, steering is still goo and not affected.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by hardly_stuntworthy View Post
    The Magnum is stiffer than a rock shox for sure, a lot more adjustment and a little pricey but worth it I think in the comfort stakes, not much else that suits it straight off of the shelf, steering is still goo and not affected.
    How is the lockout on the magnum? The one think I don't like is a fork that bobs up and down when out of the saddle climbing.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    How is the lockout on the magnum? The one think I don't like is a fork that bobs up and down when out of the saddle climbing.

This is how far mine moved after locking it out and pushing down on it firmly a few times.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

First couple of rides

Loving this Krampus after the first two rides, poor Pugsley is sitting in the corner. Now if it would stop raining...or start snowing alreadySurly Krampus-886841_1110548078978786_1010198863768424086_o.jpgSurly Krampus-920743_1112665258767068_6437366327567235929_o.jpg

LRM
    mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    On-One fatty carbon fork on Krampus? Possibility or no? It got bit lower A-C than the original fork and bit more rake. (Original A-C 483mm & 47mm, On-One 470mm & 55mm)
    Trail would change from 96mm to 86mm with 75mm tyre. Trek Stache 5 have trail of 85mm so I think that would not be that bad, maybe.

+ It have 1 1/8 steerer, so no need for new headset.
    + Cheap.
    - 135mm spacing and RDS, so need new front hub.

Of course there is always Whisky No. 9 and Spot forks.
    + Better looking.
    - Expencier.
    +/- Tapered steerer and 15mm axle. Needing new headset lower cup. With my weight I don't know that do I really need tapered steerer or 15mm axle.
    + Old hub is fine with conversion caps.

mtbr member
    LBS (shout out to THICK Bikes) gave me a deal on a NOS 2013 frameset. Waiting for parts, but here is the build list:
    Cane Creek ZS40/EC44 Headset
    Manitou Magnum Pro 100
    SRAM Team Pro GXP BB
    SRAM GX Boost 2x Crankset 34/22
    SRAM GX High Direct Mount 2x10 Front mech
    SRAM GX 2.1 Rear Mech
    Sunrace CS-MS3 11-42 10 spd cassette
    Microshift 10SP Thumbies
    Shimano XT M8000 Brakes 203mm F / 180mm R
    Blunt 35 / Hope EVO 2 Boost 32H F
    Blunt 35 Shimano XT 36H R
    Thomson 0 x 70mm X4 Stem
    Renthal FatBar 38mm Rise
    Jagwire MTN Elite Sealed Shift Cables

Plus some used bits:
    Gravity Dropper 4" seat post
    Brooks B17 Saddle
    Salsa Flip Lock clamp
    Used Knards from KramPug set up split tube
    MKS Grip King Pedals- drilled & added spikes

I am super stoked, been wanting a Krampus since they were introduced, but always held out for front suspension. I have high hopes for the Magnum.
    I will post pics as the build progresses.

EDIT
    Asking how much it cost is like asking a woman's weight.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I have a magnum comp on my Krampus. The fork is a great performer. The only downside( for me) is the high A to C. Raises the BB more than I like. But, it's workable. Enjoy that new ride!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by efuss View Post
    LBS (shout out to THICK Bikes) gave me a deal on a NOS 2013 frameset. Waiting for parts, but here is the build list:
    Cane Creek ZS40/EC44 Headset
    Manitou Magnum Pro 100
    SRAM Team Pro GXP BB
    SRAM GX Boost 2x Crankset 34/22
    SRAM GX High Direct Mount 2x10 Front mech
    SRAM GX 2.1 Rear Mech
    Sunrace CS-MS3 11-42 10 spd cassette
    Microshift 10SP Thumbies
    Shimano XT M8000 Brakes 203mm F / 180mm R
    Blunt 35 / Hope EVO 2 Boost 32H F
    Blunt 35 Shimano XT 36H R
    Thomson 0 x 70mm X4 Stem
    Renthal FatBar 38mm Rise
    Jagwire MTN Elite Sealed Shift Cables

Plus some used bits:
    Gravity Dropper 4" seat post
    Brooks B17 Saddle
    Salsa Flip Lock clamp
    Used Knards from KramPug set up split tube
    MKS Grip King Pedals- drilled & added spikes

I am super stoked, been wanting a Krampus since they were introduced, but always held out for front suspension. I have high hopes for the Magnum.
    I will post pics as the build progresses.

EDIT
    Asking how much it cost is like asking a woman's weight.
    yeah,i dont even like to think about what i spent on mine

just two parts left to get,a hope pro4evo rear hub in red and probably just a pro2 front hub in red,still need to get the chris king headset installed,just put a fabric saddle on..
    Surly Krampus-dsc03634.jpgSurly Krampus-dsc03636.jpg

race face turbine crank
    absolute black oval chainring 32 teeth
    wolf tooth 10mm chainring bolts
    hope bottom bracket
    spank spike pedals
    shimano xt rear derailleur
    one up radr derailleur cage
    kcnc 11 tooth pulley wheel and bolt
    shimano xt cassette
    oneup 42 tooth cassette expander cog
    chris king headset
    race face atlas stem
    chris king stack spacer
    race face atlas special edition monster green riser bars
    esi chunky silicon grips
    shimano xt shifter
    jagwire mountain pro brake and shifter cables
    diety seatpost
    fabric scoop saddle
    and the hope pro4evo rear/pro2 evo front hubs on surly rabbit holes with maxxis chronicles 120 tpi set up split tube

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I like the addition of the red. Gives it a classic red or green NM touch.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    just like i like my chili,mainly green with a little red here and there...

now im forced to become a half decent rider! with a flashy bike like that i better bring it!

Members who have read this thread: 548