Page 33 of 75 FirstFirst ... 2329303132333435363743 ... LastLast
Results 1,601 to 1,650 of 3719

Thread: Surly Krampus

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    awesome............

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gouda Cheez View Post
    I was going to ask the same. I would love the specs. Based off the picture, it looks like a White Brothers Rock Solid Rigid... but not sure of exact specs. Based off a quick search, they make several options.

Does the CF really help that much for dampening? I was riding this weekend and nearly got thrown off.
    Sorry for the slow response. Yes, as others' mentioned above, White Brothers 29er Rock Solid Rigid Carbon Fork 490mm.
    It will NOT give you dampening like a genuine suspension fork. However, it does take away some of the harshness (vibration, rigidity) that you get from the steel stocker. Yes, the carbon fork is very rigid, but it allows some 'give' or flex which gives me better feel and control. Combine that with a cushy Knard (I run 12psi), your brain and body will forget you don't have a shock up front. Also, I previously mentioned the significantly lighter weight allows you to pull the front end up more easily, which allows me to attack rooty and rocky sections with more speed and confidence.
    If you don't need huge travel that a shock affords, this may be a good solution for you. Opinions may vary greatly... but I love it.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I must say I love how the Krampus tows a single wheel trailer such as the my one from Tout. The stability and traction of the big wheels gets the whole huge assembly pretty much anywhere, though I still need to change the front cranks so its a little less painful on sustained steep climbs...

(@Frisby Ridge on the weekend)

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincentg View Post
    ale50ale: are you getting any tire rub on the lefty? 2013 fork right? Looks great!
    No tire rub at all. I had originally thought that I may need to put some offset in the wheel, but it was not necessary. I will post a picture showing the clearance, but it is about 6-8mm.

It is the 2013 Lefty XLR Carbon.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacons View Post
    Sorry for the slow response. Yes, as others' mentioned above, White Brothers 29er Rock Solid Rigid Carbon Fork 490mm.
    It will NOT give you dampening like a genuine suspension fork. However, it does take away some of the harshness (vibration, rigidity) that you get from the steel stocker. Yes, the carbon fork is very rigid, but it allows some 'give' or flex which gives me better feel and control. Combine that with a cushy Knard (I run 12psi), your brain and body will forget you don't have a shock up front. Also, I previously mentioned the significantly lighter weight allows you to pull the front end up more easily, which allows me to attack rooty and rocky sections with more speed and confidence.
    If you don't need huge travel that a shock affords, this may be a good solution for you. Opinions may vary greatly... but I love it.
    I really like the look and sound of your fork. However could please would advise on how much clearance there you have between tyre and leg, I unfortunately have to deal with a fair bit of mud so good clearance is an important factor. Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve5S View Post
    I really like the look and sound of your fork. However could please would advise on how much clearance there you have between tyre and leg, I unfortunately have to deal with a fair bit of mud so good clearance is an important factor. Thanks

Do you already have a Krampus? If not be aware that this frame is pretty tight at the rear with Knards. There is just a minimal amount of clearance side to side.

If I had a lot of sticky mud to deal with I'd be running a "normal" 29er tires in the rear to get some clearance.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

SyT
    mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    The knard has to be the worst tire for mud in all of mtbing.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Hi Vicb, yes now happily have a Krampus. I was questioning Bacons regarding the clearance on his White Brothers Rock Solid Carbon Fork. However I fully agree with your advice of a 29er tyre should the trails get grim.

SyT yes you're bang on, the knard is horrid in mud but what a beauty in the dry. Here in the UK we are having some exceptionally dry/warm/hot weather and the knards are excellent but a Dirt wizard will be required once this comes to an end.

mtbr member
    Is there a page in here that takes about running the Rabbit holes and Knards tubeless. Or somewhere else that can be suggested?

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Vistacruise View Post
    Is there a page in here that takes about running the Rabbit holes and Knards tubeless. Or somewhere else that can be suggested?
    Theres quite a lot, use is the search feature at top of page but here is as good place as any to start http://forums.mtbr.com/29er-bikes/su...l#post10507543

Lord Thunderbottom
    Quote Originally Posted by renegade44 View Post
    Has it been confirmed Dirt Wizards are coming out in 29+ too? I haven't seen anything concrete. Details? 2.75", 3" or other width?
    Pictured Dirt Wizard 29x2.75

coastrider
    Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can do what others can't

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    ^ Excellent news! Thank you for posting that link; I have uses for both the 26" and 29" DWs if/when I can get some...

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    ↑ release date?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TitanofChaos View Post
    Pictured Dirt Wizard 29x2.75

coastrider
    Looks great. A 3.0" DW wouldn't fit the rear of a Krampus so I expected they'd narrow the casing to make up for the side knobs.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member

Surly Krampus

I hope these 'Dirt Wizards' live up to their name.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Hi, I am newbie here. I am looking at a Krampus for communting. Is it feasible? Compare to a normal hardtail 29er, how big a difference is the ride? Cheers.

will like to add I already own a road bike and a foldable bike. So I am now looking for a do it all MTB . The krampus looked really fun.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LionX View Post
    So I am now looking for a do it all MTB . The krampus looked really fun.
    The Krampus is a great rigid mountain bike. I've used mine trail riding and mostly for lightweight dirt touring. I give it two thumbs up for both those uses...

Can you commute on it? Sure why not? It has two wheels and will move down the road when you pedal.

Would I use it to commute on the road? No. Not unless I didn't have any other more suitable bikes.

Since you have a road bike and folder I would commute on one of those and save the Krampus for your dirt rides.

The other thing I will say is the Krampus is rigid. If your local trails and you like riding rigid you will be happy. But, 3" tires are not a replacement for suspension on trails that are rough. If you made me choose between my Krampus and my FS MTB I'd pick my FS MTB every time for my local costal BC trails. I can ride my FS bike hard through chunky terrain all day every day for 2 weeks with only muscle soreness. After 2 days on a rigid bike I start to feel beat up like the old man I am!

And I started off riding MTBs when they were all rigid so I have the line finding skills to make the best of it.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Thank you Vik for ur detailed response.

It is really not easy to choose a 29er. There are so many options . Ha

I will not be doing any trail riding that are too rough , not a skilful mtb rider. But I will like to use the MTB to go anywhere where I want to. Like a mix of pavements riding, rough roads, light trails etc.

Thanks a lot and cheers

mtbr member
    Thank you Vik for ur detailed response.

It is really not easy to choose a 29er. There are so many options . Ha

I will not be doing any trail riding that are too rough , not a skilful mtb rider. But I will like to use the MTB to go anywhere where I want to. Like a mix of pavements riding, rough roads, light trails etc.

Thanks a lot and cheers
    Maybe look at the Surly Ogre. If you aren't in need of 3" rubber on wide rims the Ogre offers wider gearing and lots of braze-ons. It will do everything you are after.

Ogre | Bikes | Surly Bikes
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    Maybe look at the Surly Ogre. If you aren't in need of 3" rubber on wide rims the Ogre offers wider gearing and lots of braze-ons. It will do everything you are after.

Ogre | Bikes | Surly Bikes
    Wow.. Just looking at surly bikes alone, it is just really tough the make a decision.

Ogre, karate monkey, krampus... All looked like they could do a decent job and are so versatile. I really do not know the main difference and how to pick one from another in terms of performance .

For the krampus 3 inch wide tyres - may I ask what are the cons in terms of ride performance compared to a standard 29 tyres?

mtbr member
    Wow.. Just looking at surly bikes alone, it is just really tough the make a decision.

Ogre, karate monkey, krampus... All looked like they could do a decent job and are so versatile. I really do not know the main difference and how to pick one from another in terms of performance .

For the krampus 3 inch wide tyres - may I ask what are the cons in terms of ride performance compared to a standard 29 tyres?
    29 x 3" Knards are $90-$150 each and not uber durable. I wouldn't want to waste them on the road.

Surly Knard Tire > Components > Tires and Tubes > Tires | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

You are also running wide heavy 50mm rims on the Krampus and a single chainring up front.

Unless you really want those 3" tires for a specific reason I would get the Ogre. The Karate Monkey would be good, but the complete bike from Surly is a single speed.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Thank u so much for ur reply. Learn alot

mtbr member

Surly Krampus

Vik has hit it all on the head. I ride my Krampus on the road from time to time. Most of those road rides are on the way to the trail.

I, too, was torn between a hardtail and a rigid. I chose the Krampus because it is a funky, beefy bike that performs well enough on the trail. I was intrigued by having something very different than a traditional hardtail and it definitely HAS NOT disappointed me at all. I've quickly learned that 3" tires, even at 12-14psi are no replacement for suspension. I've quickly learned to take things a bit slower on the downhill (a good thing in many ways) and to pay more attention to my surroundings on the trail. What the Krampus may lack in suspension, it makes up for in fun - it climbs well, has great traction, and is a solid bike overall.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    This might be my next bike!

Will three inch tires make a difference?

mtbr member

Surly Krampus

Define 'make a difference'...

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    3" tyres make a massive difference!!! I used to think that the 2" tyres on my 29er (OnOne Inbred with rigid fork) had some grip but after riding the Krampus for a few weeks and then going back to the Inbred I just kept washing out the front tyre on corners for the first half an hour or so due to the relative lack of grip between the two!!

See photo below for comparison between 3" Knard and 2" The Captain tyres........draw your own conclusions!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Surly Krampus-p1030044.jpg  

mtbr member

Surly Krampus

Traction wise, the Krampus is nuts.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Possibly a dumbass question but what is the fork offset on the Krampus?

mtbr member
    Possibly a dumbass question but what is the fork offset on the Krampus?
    There is no offset.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    No fork offset. One of the things that I liked about the Krampus was the fact that it ran standard spacing (100 mm front, 135 mm rear) and so if I want to I can swap the wheels over from my other 29er onto the Krampus (I have also found that the front wheel of the Krampus just fits inside the Salsa Moto El Grande fork that I am running on my SS 29er (I haven't tried riding with it yet though).

Dr Gadget is IN
    Ok, so everybody is telling you that there is no side-to-side offset (like a Pugsley) on the Krampus fork.

However, the rake, or forward offset of the fork is 1.9" per Surly - in case that's what you were askin'
    This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic.

WSS/OSS: Open Source Sealant

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Ah yes fork offset , looking to get some carbon forks;
    *White Brothers Rock Solid, 44mm offset
    *Syncros FL Carbon, 38mm offset

Now getting the impression that Offset & Fork Rake are the same. If that is the case then the Krampus has a Fork Rake of 1.9 - 1.9 what?

Trying to get my head around how these offset figures will affect the ride

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Ah yes fork offset , looking to get some carbon forks;
    *White Brothers Rock Solid, 44mm offset
    *Syncros FL Carbon, 38mm offset

Now getting the impression that Offset & Fork Rake are the same. If that is the case then the Krampus has a Fork Rake of 1.9 - 1.9 what?

Trying to get my head around how these offset figures will affect the ride
    I think we are getting our offsets mixed up!!! The offset for a Rock Solid fork refers to how far the top of the fork legs is set forwards from the steerer tube (i.e. the offset of the crown of the fork for a fork with straight legs). The offset that I was referring to (as per the Pugsley fork) allows you to run a 135 mm spaced rear wheel on the front - the fork is offset to one side so that the wheel runs in the centre of the bike.

I assume that the 1.9 refers to 1.9 inches (about 47.5 mm or so)??

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I threw my Ice Spiker Pros (2.25") on he Rabbit Hole to see how they fit:

It was a bit of a struggle for the last bit of the bead, if they were tubeless I would not be worried in the least about burping. I think i'll be using that setup on the Krampus for the icier bits of winter, for the rest of winter i'll stick with the Moonlander.

mtbr member
    First ride review. This bike is a beast. Incredibly fun and confidence inspiring. For a point of reference I'm 6' 3" 195lbs on a Large Frame. I picked up my bike this morning from my Lbs, had to order in my size. This is my first experience owning a good mountain bike. As 29+ won't be for everyone I really like the simplicity of the step up and the feel of the Surly frame and big tires. Plenty of gear range for my area and once you get those tires moving it is quite fast. Over the past 3 weeks studying what kind of bike I wanted online the Krampus wasn't even on my radar until I test road it per my Lbs suggestion. I knew destroying my budget would be worth the instant fun it provides. I look forward to riding more and that's the whole point anyway.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Shout out to Surly for making a fun bike.

mtbr member

Surly Krampus

Quote Originally Posted by jgorrilla View Post
    Raced around State College, Pennsylvania this last weekend on my SS Krampus...

I’m sold on the 29+ platform for how I like to ride, I’d like a lighter frame for no other reason than lighter is better and I like steeper headtube angles, but probably not a lot, I just need to learn how to steer with a shorter stem.
    jgorrilla - I graduated from PSU, so I'm familiar with the terrain. That said, I'm riding my SS Krampus in Austin, TX. 32x20. 25.0lbs with pedals/cage/bell, etc. Using a ti 740mm bar and a relatively heavy ti post, but still impressed that you're at 24lb 11oz. What's your secret?

Also, if you're looking for a lighter frame, check out the Carver Gnarvester... Titanium, 29+. Under 4lbs.

No affiliation, except that Forrest Carver is a cool dude.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Ran my Krampus with my 'regular' 29er wheels this weekend(IKONS on Flows). I still noticed excellent front traction while cornering. What I mean by that is I had an incident where the front wheel was sliding and it never completely let go. I have only noticed this on Krampus, other bikes I have always feel like if I lost front traction i was immediately on the ground. In the past I truly believe I would have fallen. The second thing I noticed was I still had much improved climbing traction. I originally thought that the 'magic' about Krampus was 80% tires and 20% geometry. I am now thinking its more like 60% tires 40% geometry.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by clydeone View Post
    Ran my Krampus with my 'regular' 29er wheels this weekend(IKONS on Flows). I still noticed excellent front traction while cornering. What I mean by that is I had an incident where the front wheel was sliding and it never completely let go. I have only noticed this on Krampus, other bikes I have always feel like if I lost front traction i was immediately on the ground. In the past I truly believe I would have fallen. The second thing I noticed was I still had much improved climbing traction. I originally thought that the 'magic' about Krampus was 80% tires and 20% geometry. I am now thinking its more like 60% tires 40% geometry.
    I ran mine for about a month and several hundred miles with regular wheels: an Ikon on an Arch in the back and a Ardent on a Flow in front with a 100mm Reba. I thought it was a great setup; it rode really well.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I am such a ridiculous fan of this bike.

mtbr member
    looks great. A 3.0" dw wouldn't fit the rear of a krampus so i expected they'd narrow the casing to make up for the side knobs.
    this tyre is what ive been waiting for.

and the new velocity 45mm rim seems perfect to me.

my new front wheel has just been built in my head...

mtbr member

Loaded up the Krampus with a ridiculous amount of gear and went for a tour with my friend Doug and his kids in the Chilcotin Mtns of BC.

The Krampus did great overall, but I did start to wish for a suspension fork during longer sections of high speed chunk.

Trip report is here: vikapproved | Chilcotin ? 3 Lakes Tour

Photos are here: Chilcotins 2013 - a set on Flickr

Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member

After some experimentation with gearing I've settled on 34T x 16T with my Rohloff. Any lower than that and I might as well start walking. This still gives me more high range than I am ever going to need.

I've put a bunch of dirt touring days on my water bottle setup...I didn't like the fork mounted bottles on my previous 29er. They got beat up when I laid my bike down, leaned it up against stuff and when doing some hike-a-bike.

The new downtube + stem mounted bottles work much better and the hose clamp mounts have not budged despite much highspeed pounding.

I have also been carrying a 1L bottle in my frame bag giving me 0.75 + 1L + 1.5L = 3.25L of water on the bike.

Adding another 2L to my back pack and 0.75L x 2 in bottles to my fork legs is easy should I need a lot of water. That would give me 6L total...at the moment I can't envisage needing more water on a ride.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    How would this bike be in the snow? Would a pugsley be that much better?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lvking11 View Post
    How would this bike be in the snow? Would a pugsley be that much better?
    A Pugsley would be a much better snow bike than a Krampus. You can fit 4.8" Big Fat Larrys on 82mm rims into a Pugsley.

A Krampus running 3" Knards on 50mm rims doesn't even come close to the same floatation.

Having said that a Krampus would do fine on packed snow, but the same could be said of other "skinny" mountain bikes.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by octavius View Post
    and the new velocity 45mm rim seems perfect to me.
    Good hint!

Velocity USA: Introducing the "mid fat" 45mm Dually rim

Looks very good for 3.0 Knards

Does anyone know if the black rim is anodized or powdercoated?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DerBergschreck View Post
    Good hint!

Velocity USA: Introducing the "mid fat" 45mm Dually rim

Looks very good for 3.0 Knards

Does anyone know if the black rim is anodized or powdercoated?
    in my experience buying Velocity rims if it doesn't specifically state anodized it's powdercoated.

You can confirm with them at this link.:

Velocity Wheels
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    in my experience buying Velocity rims if it doesn't specifically state anodized it's powdercoated.
    I asked Velocity and they answered that black is anodized.
    White and reflective are the only rims which are powdercoated.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DerBergschreck View Post
    I asked Velocity and they answered that black is anodized.
    White and reflective are the only rims which are powdercoated.
    +1 - always best to ask the source.

The anodized Velocity rims I have are much nicer than the other Velocity rims I have. I'll be sticking to anodized from them in the future.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

beer *****es n' bikes
    +1 - always best to ask the source.

The anodized Velocity rims I have are much nicer than the other Velocity rims I have. I'll be sticking to anodized from them in the future.
    And its slightly lighter! Ano FTW.
    bike dude, velocity employee (this is my personal account)