Page 33 of 75 FirstFirst ... 2329303132333435363743 ... LastLast
Results 1,601 to 1,650 of 3719

Thread: Surly Krampus

  1. #1601
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    8
    awesome............

  2. #1602
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bacons's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    479
    Quote Originally Posted by Gouda Cheez View Post
    I was going to ask the same. I would love the specs. Based off the picture, it looks like a White Brothers Rock Solid Rigid... but not sure of exact specs. Based off a quick search, they make several options.

    Does the CF really help that much for dampening? I was riding this weekend and nearly got thrown off.
    Sorry for the slow response. Yes, as others' mentioned above, White Brothers 29er Rock Solid Rigid Carbon Fork 490mm.
    It will NOT give you dampening like a genuine suspension fork. However, it does take away some of the harshness (vibration, rigidity) that you get from the steel stocker. Yes, the carbon fork is very rigid, but it allows some 'give' or flex which gives me better feel and control. Combine that with a cushy Knard (I run 12psi), your brain and body will forget you don't have a shock up front. Also, I previously mentioned the significantly lighter weight allows you to pull the front end up more easily, which allows me to attack rooty and rocky sections with more speed and confidence.
    If you don't need huge travel that a shock affords, this may be a good solution for you. Opinions may vary greatly... but I love it.

  3. #1603
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    72
    I must say I love how the Krampus tows a single wheel trailer such as the my one from Tout. The stability and traction of the big wheels gets the whole huge assembly pretty much anywhere, though I still need to change the front cranks so its a little less painful on sustained steep climbs...


    (@Frisby Ridge on the weekend)

  4. #1604
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    89
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincentg View Post
    ale50ale: are you getting any tire rub on the lefty? 2013 fork right? Looks great!
    No tire rub at all. I had originally thought that I may need to put some offset in the wheel, but it was not necessary. I will post a picture showing the clearance, but it is about 6-8mm.

    It is the 2013 Lefty XLR Carbon.

  5. #1605
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    86
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacons View Post
    Sorry for the slow response. Yes, as others' mentioned above, White Brothers 29er Rock Solid Rigid Carbon Fork 490mm.
    It will NOT give you dampening like a genuine suspension fork. However, it does take away some of the harshness (vibration, rigidity) that you get from the steel stocker. Yes, the carbon fork is very rigid, but it allows some 'give' or flex which gives me better feel and control. Combine that with a cushy Knard (I run 12psi), your brain and body will forget you don't have a shock up front. Also, I previously mentioned the significantly lighter weight allows you to pull the front end up more easily, which allows me to attack rooty and rocky sections with more speed and confidence.
    If you don't need huge travel that a shock affords, this may be a good solution for you. Opinions may vary greatly... but I love it.
    I really like the look and sound of your fork. However could please would advise on how much clearance there you have between tyre and leg, I unfortunately have to deal with a fair bit of mud so good clearance is an important factor. Thanks

  6. #1606
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vikb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    9,087
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve5S View Post
    I really like the look and sound of your fork. However could please would advise on how much clearance there you have between tyre and leg, I unfortunately have to deal with a fair bit of mud so good clearance is an important factor. Thanks


    Do you already have a Krampus? If not be aware that this frame is pretty tight at the rear with Knards. There is just a minimal amount of clearance side to side.

    If I had a lot of sticky mud to deal with I'd be running a "normal" 29er tires in the rear to get some clearance.
    Safe riding,

    Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

  7. #1607
    SyT
    SyT is online now
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    507
    The knard has to be the worst tire for mud in all of mtbing.

  8. #1608
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    86
    Hi Vicb, yes now happily have a Krampus. I was questioning Bacons regarding the clearance on his White Brothers Rock Solid Carbon Fork. However I fully agree with your advice of a 29er tyre should the trails get grim.

    SyT yes you're bang on, the knard is horrid in mud but what a beauty in the dry. Here in the UK we are having some exceptionally dry/warm/hot weather and the knards are excellent but a Dirt wizard will be required once this comes to an end.

  9. #1609
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Vistacruise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    36
    Is there a page in here that takes about running the Rabbit holes and Knards tubeless. Or somewhere else that can be suggested?

  10. #1610
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    86
    Quote Originally Posted by Vistacruise View Post
    Is there a page in here that takes about running the Rabbit holes and Knards tubeless. Or somewhere else that can be suggested?
    Theres quite a lot, use is the search feature at top of page but here is as good place as any to start http://forums.mtbr.com/29er-bikes/su...l#post10507543

  11. #1611
    Lord Thunderbottom
    Reputation: TitanofChaos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    897
    Quote Originally Posted by renegade44 View Post
    Has it been confirmed Dirt Wizards are coming out in 29+ too? I haven't seen anything concrete. Details? 2.75", 3" or other width?
    Pictured Dirt Wizard 29x2.75

    coastrider
    Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can do what others can't

  12. #1612
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    754
    ^ Excellent news! Thank you for posting that link; I have uses for both the 26" and 29" DWs if/when I can get some...

  13. #1613
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    86
    ↑ release date?

  14. #1614
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vikb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    9,087
    Quote Originally Posted by TitanofChaos View Post
    Pictured Dirt Wizard 29x2.75

    coastrider
    Looks great. A 3.0" DW wouldn't fit the rear of a Krampus so I expected they'd narrow the casing to make up for the side knobs.
    Safe riding,

    Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

  15. #1615
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Gouda Cheez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    714

    Surly Krampus

    I hope these 'Dirt Wizards' live up to their name.

  16. #1616
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    4
    Hi, I am newbie here. I am looking at a Krampus for communting. Is it feasible? Compare to a normal hardtail 29er, how big a difference is the ride? Cheers.

    will like to add I already own a road bike and a foldable bike. So I am now looking for a do it all MTB . The krampus looked really fun.

  17. #1617
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vikb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    9,087
    Quote Originally Posted by LionX View Post
    So I am now looking for a do it all MTB . The krampus looked really fun.
    The Krampus is a great rigid mountain bike. I've used mine trail riding and mostly for lightweight dirt touring. I give it two thumbs up for both those uses...

    Can you commute on it? Sure why not? It has two wheels and will move down the road when you pedal.

    Would I use it to commute on the road? No. Not unless I didn't have any other more suitable bikes.

    Since you have a road bike and folder I would commute on one of those and save the Krampus for your dirt rides.

    The other thing I will say is the Krampus is rigid. If your local trails and you like riding rigid you will be happy. But, 3" tires are not a replacement for suspension on trails that are rough. If you made me choose between my Krampus and my FS MTB I'd pick my FS MTB every time for my local costal BC trails. I can ride my FS bike hard through chunky terrain all day every day for 2 weeks with only muscle soreness. After 2 days on a rigid bike I start to feel beat up like the old man I am!

    And I started off riding MTBs when they were all rigid so I have the line finding skills to make the best of it.
    Safe riding,

    Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

  18. #1618
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    4
    Thank you Vik for ur detailed response.

    It is really not easy to choose a 29er. There are so many options . Ha

    I will not be doing any trail riding that are too rough , not a skilful mtb rider. But I will like to use the MTB to go anywhere where I want to. Like a mix of pavements riding, rough roads, light trails etc.

    Thanks a lot and cheers

  19. #1619
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vikb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    9,087
    Quote Originally Posted by LionX View Post
    Thank you Vik for ur detailed response.

    It is really not easy to choose a 29er. There are so many options . Ha

    I will not be doing any trail riding that are too rough , not a skilful mtb rider. But I will like to use the MTB to go anywhere where I want to. Like a mix of pavements riding, rough roads, light trails etc.

    Thanks a lot and cheers
    Maybe look at the Surly Ogre. If you aren't in need of 3" rubber on wide rims the Ogre offers wider gearing and lots of braze-ons. It will do everything you are after.

    Ogre | Bikes | Surly Bikes
    Safe riding,

    Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

  20. #1620
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    Maybe look at the Surly Ogre. If you aren't in need of 3" rubber on wide rims the Ogre offers wider gearing and lots of braze-ons. It will do everything you are after.

    Ogre | Bikes | Surly Bikes
    Wow.. Just looking at surly bikes alone, it is just really tough the make a decision.

    Ogre, karate monkey, krampus... All looked like they could do a decent job and are so versatile. I really do not know the main difference and how to pick one from another in terms of performance .

    For the krampus 3 inch wide tyres - may I ask what are the cons in terms of ride performance compared to a standard 29 tyres?

  21. #1621
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vikb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    9,087
    Quote Originally Posted by LionX View Post
    Wow.. Just looking at surly bikes alone, it is just really tough the make a decision.

    Ogre, karate monkey, krampus... All looked like they could do a decent job and are so versatile. I really do not know the main difference and how to pick one from another in terms of performance .

    For the krampus 3 inch wide tyres - may I ask what are the cons in terms of ride performance compared to a standard 29 tyres?
    29 x 3" Knards are $90-$150 each and not uber durable. I wouldn't want to waste them on the road.

    Surly Knard Tire > Components > Tires and Tubes > Tires | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

    You are also running wide heavy 50mm rims on the Krampus and a single chainring up front.

    Unless you really want those 3" tires for a specific reason I would get the Ogre. The Karate Monkey would be good, but the complete bike from Surly is a single speed.
    Safe riding,

    Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

  22. #1622
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    4
    Thank u so much for ur reply. Learn alot

  23. #1623
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Gouda Cheez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    714

    Surly Krampus

    Vik has hit it all on the head. I ride my Krampus on the road from time to time. Most of those road rides are on the way to the trail.

    I, too, was torn between a hardtail and a rigid. I chose the Krampus because it is a funky, beefy bike that performs well enough on the trail. I was intrigued by having something very different than a traditional hardtail and it definitely HAS NOT disappointed me at all. I've quickly learned that 3" tires, even at 12-14psi are no replacement for suspension. I've quickly learned to take things a bit slower on the downhill (a good thing in many ways) and to pay more attention to my surroundings on the trail. What the Krampus may lack in suspension, it makes up for in fun - it climbs well, has great traction, and is a solid bike overall.

  24. #1624
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    31
    This might be my next bike!

    Will three inch tires make a difference?

  25. #1625
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Gouda Cheez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    714

    Surly Krampus

    Define 'make a difference'...

  26. #1626
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    17
    3" tyres make a massive difference!!! I used to think that the 2" tyres on my 29er (OnOne Inbred with rigid fork) had some grip but after riding the Krampus for a few weeks and then going back to the Inbred I just kept washing out the front tyre on corners for the first half an hour or so due to the relative lack of grip between the two!!

    See photo below for comparison between 3" Knard and 2" The Captain tyres........draw your own conclusions!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Surly Krampus-p1030044.jpg  


  27. #1627
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Gouda Cheez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    714

    Surly Krampus

    Traction wise, the Krampus is nuts.

  28. #1628
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    86
    Possibly a dumbass question but what is the fork offset on the Krampus?

  29. #1629
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Tripower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    561
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve5S View Post
    Possibly a dumbass question but what is the fork offset on the Krampus?
    There is no offset.

  30. #1630
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    17
    No fork offset. One of the things that I liked about the Krampus was the fact that it ran standard spacing (100 mm front, 135 mm rear) and so if I want to I can swap the wheels over from my other 29er onto the Krampus (I have also found that the front wheel of the Krampus just fits inside the Salsa Moto El Grande fork that I am running on my SS 29er (I haven't tried riding with it yet though).

  31. #1631
    Dr Gadget is IN
    Reputation: wadester's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,345
    Ok, so everybody is telling you that there is no side-to-side offset (like a Pugsley) on the Krampus fork.

    However, the rake, or forward offset of the fork is 1.9" per Surly - in case that's what you were askin'
    This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic.

    WSS/OSS: Open Source Sealant

  32. #1632
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    86
    Ah yes fork offset , looking to get some carbon forks;
    *White Brothers Rock Solid, 44mm offset
    *Syncros FL Carbon, 38mm offset

    Now getting the impression that Offset & Fork Rake are the same. If that is the case then the Krampus has a Fork Rake of 1.9 - 1.9 what?

    Trying to get my head around how these offset figures will affect the ride

  33. #1633
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve5S View Post
    Ah yes fork offset , looking to get some carbon forks;
    *White Brothers Rock Solid, 44mm offset
    *Syncros FL Carbon, 38mm offset

    Now getting the impression that Offset & Fork Rake are the same. If that is the case then the Krampus has a Fork Rake of 1.9 - 1.9 what?

    Trying to get my head around how these offset figures will affect the ride
    I think we are getting our offsets mixed up!!! The offset for a Rock Solid fork refers to how far the top of the fork legs is set forwards from the steerer tube (i.e. the offset of the crown of the fork for a fork with straight legs). The offset that I was referring to (as per the Pugsley fork) allows you to run a 135 mm spaced rear wheel on the front - the fork is offset to one side so that the wheel runs in the centre of the bike.

    I assume that the 1.9 refers to 1.9 inches (about 47.5 mm or so)??

  34. #1634
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    72
    I threw my Ice Spiker Pros (2.25") on he Rabbit Hole to see how they fit:





    It was a bit of a struggle for the last bit of the bead, if they were tubeless I would not be worried in the least about burping. I think i'll be using that setup on the Krampus for the icier bits of winter, for the rest of winter i'll stick with the Moonlander.

  35. #1635
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Vistacruise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    36
    First ride review. This bike is a beast. Incredibly fun and confidence inspiring. For a point of reference I'm 6' 3" 195lbs on a Large Frame. I picked up my bike this morning from my Lbs, had to order in my size. This is my first experience owning a good mountain bike. As 29+ won't be for everyone I really like the simplicity of the step up and the feel of the Surly frame and big tires. Plenty of gear range for my area and once you get those tires moving it is quite fast. Over the past 3 weeks studying what kind of bike I wanted online the Krampus wasn't even on my radar until I test road it per my Lbs suggestion. I knew destroying my budget would be worth the instant fun it provides. I look forward to riding more and that's the whole point anyway.

  36. #1636
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    35
    Shout out to Surly for making a fun bike.


  37. #1637
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CCSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    224

    Surly Krampus

    Quote Originally Posted by jgorrilla View Post
    Raced around State College, Pennsylvania this last weekend on my SS Krampus...

    I’m sold on the 29+ platform for how I like to ride, I’d like a lighter frame for no other reason than lighter is better and I like steeper headtube angles, but probably not a lot, I just need to learn how to steer with a shorter stem.
    jgorrilla - I graduated from PSU, so I'm familiar with the terrain. That said, I'm riding my SS Krampus in Austin, TX. 32x20. 25.0lbs with pedals/cage/bell, etc. Using a ti 740mm bar and a relatively heavy ti post, but still impressed that you're at 24lb 11oz. What's your secret?

    Also, if you're looking for a lighter frame, check out the Carver Gnarvester... Titanium, 29+. Under 4lbs.

    No affiliation, except that Forrest Carver is a cool dude.

  38. #1638
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    229
    Ran my Krampus with my 'regular' 29er wheels this weekend(IKONS on Flows). I still noticed excellent front traction while cornering. What I mean by that is I had an incident where the front wheel was sliding and it never completely let go. I have only noticed this on Krampus, other bikes I have always feel like if I lost front traction i was immediately on the ground. In the past I truly believe I would have fallen. The second thing I noticed was I still had much improved climbing traction. I originally thought that the 'magic' about Krampus was 80% tires and 20% geometry. I am now thinking its more like 60% tires 40% geometry.

  39. #1639
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    164
    Quote Originally Posted by clydeone View Post
    Ran my Krampus with my 'regular' 29er wheels this weekend(IKONS on Flows). I still noticed excellent front traction while cornering. What I mean by that is I had an incident where the front wheel was sliding and it never completely let go. I have only noticed this on Krampus, other bikes I have always feel like if I lost front traction i was immediately on the ground. In the past I truly believe I would have fallen. The second thing I noticed was I still had much improved climbing traction. I originally thought that the 'magic' about Krampus was 80% tires and 20% geometry. I am now thinking its more like 60% tires 40% geometry.
    I ran mine for about a month and several hundred miles with regular wheels: an Ikon on an Arch in the back and a Ardent on a Flow in front with a 100mm Reba. I thought it was a great setup; it rode really well.

  40. #1640
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    67
    I am such a ridiculous fan of this bike.
    .

  41. #1641
    mtbr member
    Reputation: octavius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    277
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    looks great. A 3.0" dw wouldn't fit the rear of a krampus so i expected they'd narrow the casing to make up for the side knobs.
    this tyre is what ive been waiting for.

    and the new velocity 45mm rim seems perfect to me.

    my new front wheel has just been built in my head...

  42. #1642
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vikb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    9,087


    Loaded up the Krampus with a ridiculous amount of gear and went for a tour with my friend Doug and his kids in the Chilcotin Mtns of BC.



    The Krampus did great overall, but I did start to wish for a suspension fork during longer sections of high speed chunk.



    Trip report is here: vikapproved | Chilcotin ? 3 Lakes Tour

    Photos are here: Chilcotins 2013 - a set on Flickr





    Safe riding,

    Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

  43. #1643
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vikb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    9,087


    After some experimentation with gearing I've settled on 34T x 16T with my Rohloff. Any lower than that and I might as well start walking. This still gives me more high range than I am ever going to need.



    I've put a bunch of dirt touring days on my water bottle setup...I didn't like the fork mounted bottles on my previous 29er. They got beat up when I laid my bike down, leaned it up against stuff and when doing some hike-a-bike.

    The new downtube + stem mounted bottles work much better and the hose clamp mounts have not budged despite much highspeed pounding.

    I have also been carrying a 1L bottle in my frame bag giving me 0.75 + 1L + 1.5L = 3.25L of water on the bike.

    Adding another 2L to my back pack and 0.75L x 2 in bottles to my fork legs is easy should I need a lot of water. That would give me 6L total...at the moment I can't envisage needing more water on a ride.
    Safe riding,

    Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

  44. #1644
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    4
    How would this bike be in the snow? Would a pugsley be that much better?

  45. #1645
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vikb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    9,087
    Quote Originally Posted by lvking11 View Post
    How would this bike be in the snow? Would a pugsley be that much better?
    A Pugsley would be a much better snow bike than a Krampus. You can fit 4.8" Big Fat Larrys on 82mm rims into a Pugsley.

    A Krampus running 3" Knards on 50mm rims doesn't even come close to the same floatation.

    Having said that a Krampus would do fine on packed snow, but the same could be said of other "skinny" mountain bikes.
    Safe riding,

    Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

  46. #1646
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    332
    Quote Originally Posted by octavius View Post
    and the new velocity 45mm rim seems perfect to me.
    Good hint!

    Velocity USA: Introducing the "mid fat" 45mm Dually rim

    Looks very good for 3.0 Knards

    Does anyone know if the black rim is anodized or powdercoated?

  47. #1647
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vikb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    9,087
    Quote Originally Posted by DerBergschreck View Post
    Good hint!

    Velocity USA: Introducing the "mid fat" 45mm Dually rim

    Looks very good for 3.0 Knards

    Does anyone know if the black rim is anodized or powdercoated?
    in my experience buying Velocity rims if it doesn't specifically state anodized it's powdercoated.

    You can confirm with them at this link.:

    Velocity Wheels
    Safe riding,

    Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

  48. #1648
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    332
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    in my experience buying Velocity rims if it doesn't specifically state anodized it's powdercoated.
    I asked Velocity and they answered that black is anodized.
    White and reflective are the only rims which are powdercoated.

  49. #1649
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vikb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    9,087
    Quote Originally Posted by DerBergschreck View Post
    I asked Velocity and they answered that black is anodized.
    White and reflective are the only rims which are powdercoated.
    +1 - always best to ask the source.

    The anodized Velocity rims I have are much nicer than the other Velocity rims I have. I'll be sticking to anodized from them in the future.
    Safe riding,

    Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

  50. #1650
    beer *****es n' bikes
    Reputation: seely's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    663
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    +1 - always best to ask the source.

    The anodized Velocity rims I have are much nicer than the other Velocity rims I have. I'll be sticking to anodized from them in the future.
    And its slightly lighter! Ano FTW.
    bike dude, velocity employee (this is my personal account)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •