Page 32 of 42 FirstFirst ... 22282930313233343536 ... LastLast
Results 3,101 to 3,200 of 4137

Thread: Surly Krampus

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PretendGentleman View Post
    Bicycle stability is complex,
    Yup. Once those big 29+ rims/tires get up to speed the Krampus gets very stable. Makes it pretty chill to bomb steep trails with loose surfaces.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Maybe it is like vikb once said, the krampus does not feel as big as the numbers suggest. Either way at least I don't have to even consider a suspension or carbon fork for my ECR.

I'd still love to have a Krampus SS if anyone is giving away a XL frame set. Super curious about how the difference in bb would feel along with the different tubes.

Thanks Pretend Gentleman for the numbers run down.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Thanks a lot to everyone here for the great feedback.

It seems like the cost difference between a Jones H loop bar and a new, uncut Krampus fork wouldn't be terribly huge. I may just spring for the new bar.

However, before going for the new bar, I might take a smaller step and just change out the stem. Does there seem to be a consensus favorite among Krampus owners for a shorter stem and/or something with a significant rise?

I guess I could start there and then go with the H bar if I feel like I need to keep moving up and back. Am I thinking about that correctly?

For what it's worth, I recently put a Nitto Albatross bar on my Disk Trucker (swapped out the stock drops) and the difference is AMAZING. I feel like I'm riding a completely new bike. The difference is comfort is remarkable. I liked the drop bars and can obviously see their utility, but I'm learning that I'm just more comfortable in an upright stance. So I'm wondering if the Jones bar would deliver the same effect for me.

Again thanks for any words of wisdom. (Also, not sure if this matters a bunch, but I'm 6'4"). You guys rock.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Try taking the measurements from the Trucker (bar height in relation to saddle, distance saddle to hand positions, angle of bars, etc) and replicate them on the Krampus. It's a different bike, but it's a start. Also the Jones is probably one of the few MTB bars coming close to an Albatross in shape.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Okay I'm convinced to give the Krampus a try. Might be unloading the ECR to a buddy and moving up (bb joke!).

Sticking with the Jones bar though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by the other Anne View Post
    It's funny how we want to go lean and mean with a handlebar roll and a seat bag, but then we find out we need more space and we add a gas tank, a frame bag, a couple of snack bags, and Anything Cages.
    I use different bags for different things.

No matter how little gear I have in my bar bag I'm going to always run a pocket on top of it and a gas tank on the TT.

Having multiple bags lets me organize my gear in a way I like which saves me time and energy looking for things. I also like to put the same item in the same spot every trip so if I was to ditch the gas tank in the summer when I had less in my bar bag I'd have to move stuff around for trips that req'd extra clothing in the bar bag.

I've tried fork mounted bottle cages and didn't enjoy having stuff there where it could get hung up on vegetation and damaged when I laid the bike down.

That's forced me to carry gear closer to the center of the bike where it affects the handling the least so not a bad thing. Ie. a 1.5L bottle on underside of the DT is the equivalent to two fork mounted water bottles, but is a better position to carry water.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    One trouble with carrying things on my Krampus near the center of the bike is the tiny size of the triangle on a small Krampus. I like the size of my Krampus, but my frame bag holds less than 5 liters. One Anything Cage holds more than the frame bag.

mtbr member
    One trouble with carrying things on my Krampus near the center of the bike is the tiny size of the triangle on a small Krampus. I like the size of my Krampus, but my frame bag holds less than 5 liters. One Anything Cage holds more than the frame bag.

The Krampus's design is not optimized for carrying stuff inside the frame triangle. If I was building a custom bike similar to the Krampus I'd use a higher TT. I've never had issues with groin clearance and horizontal TT's on older bikes. But that's with a 33" pants inseam.

One way to get around this is to use the space below the DT as shown in the photo above. The bottle cage could be mounted quite a bit lower on a bike with a shorter TT and you could replace the water with cargo if desired.

Also seeing how my shorter friends have problems carrying gear on their 29er and 29+ bikes behind the seat I would say they are not well suited to folks with short inseams if you want to bikepacking with soft frame/bar/seat bags.

I have a friend that's quite short [5' and a couple inches] he's using a 26" rigid MTB and a rear rack to strap stuff to depending on the type of trip. In the Surly world he'd be on a Troll.

I wouldn't steer him to a 29+ bike as a bikepacking rig.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Also seeing how my shorter friends have problems carrying gear on their 29er and 29+ bikes behind the seat I would say they are not well suited to folks with short inseams if you want to bikepacking with soft frame/bar/seat bags.
    I'm not as short as your friend, but I definitely have issues about fitting a soft seat bag and a soft bar bag on my bike. I didn't realize when I bought the bike that I would have those problems. In retrospect, a Troll with a front suspension might have been the better choice, given my intended use of bikepacking mostly on dirt roads. But here I am, and at this point I have the bike I have and I don't have time to buy a new one before my GDMBR trip this summer, so I'll make it work.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I'm not as short as your friend, but I definitely have issues about fitting a soft seat bag and a soft bar bag on my bike. I didn't realize when I bought the bike that I would have those problems. In retrospect, a Troll with a front suspension might have been the better choice, given my intended use of bikepacking mostly on dirt roads. But here I am, and at this point I have the bike I have and I don't have time to buy a new one before my GDMBR trip this summer, so I'll make it work.
    I'm 5'8" and I felt I had to pay some attention to keeping front and rear bags off my krampus tires as I rode singletrack and doubletrack around Banff and K-country.

I always bring nylon straps made form 1" webbing and buckles so i can modify the shape of the bag to clear the tires.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I'm 5'8".
    Center of BB to top of saddle is 73.7cm.

I have reasonable clearance on a medium...

Surly Krampus in Bikepacking Kit by mbeganyi, on Flickr

Extra straps is always a good idea... extra food, shoes, rain gear, etc.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    For people in the 5'8" range, the issue is not height but leg length. I looked at your picture, bmike, and wondered where that extra clearance between tire and bag came from, given that we're about the same height. Ah. Your legs are long for your height, lucky you. I instead have a long back, which was good when I was a butterflyer but less good for bikepacking on a Krampus.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    For people in the 5'8" range, the issue is not height but leg length. I looked at your picture, bmike, and wondered where that extra clearance between tire and bag came from, given that we're about the same height. Ah. Your legs are long for your height, lucky you. I instead have a long back, which was good when I was a butterflyer but less good for bikepacking on a Krampus.
    Agreed. Just posted that to not scare off anyone who is 5'8" from a Krampus!
    I do wish the triangle was larger... but... until I break this frame and have one custom built, I'll live with it.
    A friend of mine, who I sold my Medium Fargo to, is taller than me, but rides with his saddle much lower, and his bars much higher... he's all torso and arms!

For your Divide ride... have you considered running 2.3s? That might give you some more clearance (not much, but maybe enough?)
    On my Fargo, when I was deep into Divide fever, I was thinking of running a 2.1 Vulpine or Nano... I'd consider the same on my Krampus for something with that much dirt road and a lack of single track (although, the Knards roll really well for their size...!)

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I have thought of 2.3s, but I suspect I'll really like the extra cush from the wide soft tires in New Mexico, so I'm sticking with the Chupacabras. Assuming a round cross-section, running 2.3s instead of 3.0s only gives me 0.7 inches of extra clearance. Not enough to warrant the change for me.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I'm 5'8" and I felt I had to pay some attention to keeping front and rear bags off my krampus tires as I rode singletrack and doubletrack around Banff and K-country.

I always bring nylon straps made form 1" webbing and buckles so i can modify the shape of the bag to clear the tires.
    Have you considered different ways to cut down on your pack size?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by NickandBruce View Post
    Have you considered different ways to cut down on your pack size?
    not much at this point. I like to be comfortable and I'm not racing.

In the top 2 pictures, the seatbag is 100% food. The handlebar bag is 100% sleeping kit. I brought an overly warm synthetic bag to banff to be on the safe side, and while it was hot and bulky, I felt comforted knowing i could survive and stay warm with a lot of moisture on me. It was relevant because I almost lost my tarp over my hammock in a big hail/thunder storm. I literally had to hold on to my tarp while sitting in my hammock in my sleeping bag. I had to go out periodically in the 40F rain wind and hail, completely naked (so I could easily dry and jump bag in my hammock), to tighten my tarp lines and fix the stakes that were coming loose in the gravelly substrate of the lower spray lake campground. I have about 250 days of tarp camping under my belt and this storm was bad!

When I'm out, especially alone for days (I was far from the tour divide trail for 2/3 of my trip and occasionally would go 24 hrs at a time barely seeing any human life), I like to always have a cascade of options for what to do next if I am concerned about exposure. Full rain gear, a good sized tarp, a warm and synthetic sleeping bag (I'm from the wet southeast) are top priorities for overnight trips.

For doubletrack riding, I would have liked to put more weight on the bike. I have had problems with seat rails breaking from storing too much weight in my seatbag. But i decided not to store any food in my backpack since I want to be able to get away from my food in case of a bear attack (playing dead is very effective, but less so when you smell incredibly delicious to the griz).

Ultimately I'm buying a house later today (woo hoo! it's taken 6 months and 4 stressful offers) and my wife is pregnant with our 2nd, so none of this is all that relevant since bikepacking ain't happening any time soon for me. I just hope to do an overnight road ride on our tandem before the wife gets too big to handle it!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    not much at this point. I like to be comfortable and I'm not racing.

In the top 2 pictures, the seatbag is 100% food. The handlebar bag is 100% sleeping kit. I brought an overly warm synthetic bag to banff to be on the safe side, and while it was hot and bulky, I felt comforted knowing i could survive and stay warm with a lot of moisture on me. It was relevant because I almost lost my tarp over my hammock in a big hail/thunder storm. I literally had to hold on to my tarp while sitting in my hammock in my sleeping bag. I had to go out periodically in the 40F rain wind and hail, completely naked (so I could easily dry and jump bag in my hammock), to tighten my tarp lines and fix the stakes that were coming loose in the gravelly substrate of the lower spray lake campground. I have about 250 days of tarp camping under my belt and this storm was bad!

When I'm out, especially alone for days (I was far from the tour divide trail for 2/3 of my trip and occasionally would go 24 hrs at a time barely seeing any human life), I like to always have a cascade of options for what to do next if I am concerned about exposure. Full rain gear, a good sized tarp, a warm and synthetic sleeping bag (I'm from the wet southeast) are top priorities for overnight trips.

For doubletrack riding, I would have liked to put more weight on the bike. I have had problems with seat rails breaking from storing too much weight in my seatbag. But i decided not to store any food in my backpack since I want to be able to get away from my food in case of a bear attack (playing dead is very effective, but less so when you smell incredibly delicious to the griz).

Ultimately I'm buying a house later today (woo hoo! it's taken 6 months and 4 stressful offers) and my wife is pregnant with our 2nd, so none of this is all that relevant since bikepacking ain't happening any time soon for me. I just hope to do an overnight road ride on our tandem before the wife gets too big to handle it!
    good luck with the family.
    my randonuerring time and bikepacking time is slowly on the increase... but its been cut way down since having our kids, getting into a house, etc.

now we do lots of this:
    Bike lessons this morning. Ava bumped me and we went down on the ride camp this morning. by mbeganyi, on Flickr

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bmike View Post
    For your Divide ride... have you considered running 2.3s? That might give you some more clearance (not much, but maybe enough?)
    On my Fargo, when I was deep into Divide fever, I was thinking of running a 2.1 Vulpine or Nano... I'd consider the same on my Krampus for something with that much dirt road and a lack of single track (although, the Knards roll really well for their size...!)
    Please don't spread such heresy on this forum Mike!

In all seriousness I love how the Knards roll. Pavement, hardpacked dirt/gravel, loose dirt/gravel, chunk rocks. mud/snow, etc...

My Krampus will never roll on anything other than 29+ rubber unless I shred a tire and have to get a replacement from a LBS.

I don't see the performance benefit of a skinny tire unless you are racing and even then I'm not sure it would be a good idea.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    T
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    Please don't spread such heresy on this forum Mike!

In all seriousness I love how the Knards roll. Pavement, hardpacked dirt/gravel, loose dirt/gravel, chunk rocks. mud/snow, etc...

My Krampus will never roll on anything other than 29+ rubber unless I shred a tire and have to get a replacement from a LBS.

I don't see the performance benefit of a skinny tire unless you are racing and even then I'm not sure it would be a good idea.
    I agree, but if it helps with clearance it might have worked.

I ran 2.3 Niccotines all winter. We have ice here, and since Surly can't get the Dirt Wizard out I won't hold my breath for them to release the Ice Wizard.

mtbr member
    T

I ran 2.3 Niccotines all winter. We have ice here, and since Surly can't get the Dirt Wizard out I won't hold my breath for them to release the Ice Wizard.

That makes sense. If an Ice Wizard ever does hit the shelves it will be a 45N product.

We've got 7 months of spring and 5 months of summer where I live so studded tires rarely cross my mind.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    That makes sense. If an Ice Wizard ever does hit the shelves it will be a 45N product.

We've got 7 months of spring and 5 months of summer where I live so studded tires rarely cross my mind.
    Yeah, count me jealous.
    We have 9 months of winter and 3 months of terrible skiiing...

IMG_4083 by mbeganyi, on Flickr

P.S. - If you ever make it to Pemberton... check out the new market pavilion... I know the guy who designed it...

mtbr member
    P.S. - If you ever make it to Pemberton... check out the new market pavilion... I know the guy who designed it...
    I'll be stopping in Pemberton on my way to the Chilcotins. I'll check it out and take a picture there with my Krampus to prove it.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Is anyone running a 30t front chain ring and 42t rear? Any tire rubs?

mtbr member
    yes, no about 4 mm chain to tire clearance.
    see Krampus with 42t clog

Jon BALER
    Jan 2007
    I have ran that combo with wolftooth ring, and needed an extra spacer in the crank bb.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I have a 28x42 with no tire rub, but I'm using 35mm rims.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by renegade44 View Post
    I have ran that combo with wolftooth ring, and needed an extra spacer in the crank bb.
    Bummer. If you had to guess the cause would it be the front 30t or rear 42 that caused the rub? I assume you're running rabbit holes and knards..

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I used 20mm rims and the knobs actually caused more problems with my chain than when running a 50 mm rim. The knobs would catch the chain, whereas the sidewall just bumps it a bit.

Trying to figure out a good chainline without rubbing the tire on a krampus is a difficult task. All of my crank arms (fsa, deore, whirly) fall off the spindle if I add even a single extra 2mm spacer to my bb. Fortunately I've been lucky to always find the end cap bolt on the trail.

running your axle slammed forward helps the tire clear the chain, but I like using the axle spacer because the longer rear end is more stable on fast and bumpy downhills, which can get out of hand with a krampus.

Before I ran the 42, i'd just use the 17t cog as a spacer to move the big 36t cog away from the center of the wheel for better chainline when climbing.

many krampus owners, such as myself, dish their rear wheel away from the drive side. This also makes for a stronger, stiffer wheel.

The only issue with my current setup is that the climbing gear chainline works fine for going slow, but if you stay in 32f x 42r or 36r and get some speed, the chain will catch the tire and make a lot of racket. I've put over a thousand hard miles on my bike like this, so I'm happy with it, but once in awhile it's annoying.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I traded my large krampus for a medium with this beige paint job.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dropperpost View Post
    I traded my large krampus for a medium.
    How are you feeling about the smaller frame now that you got one?
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    How are you feeling about the smaller frame now that you got one?
    like i absolutely made the right decision. the large was definitely too big for me now that i am on the medium. the new color isnt bad either, though i love the sparkly green.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dropperpost View Post
    like i absolutely made the right decision. the large was definitely too big for me now that i am on the medium. the new color isnt bad either, though i love the sparkly green.
    Glad to hear that.

I don't love the tan at first sight, but I have the sneaking suspicion that after a few adventures I would really be digging it with some desert camo Porcelain Rocket bags.

I love the sparkly green, but it is nice to have something unique.

Enjoy the new sized frame.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    when i switched frames i also switched wheelsets, to these

to make everything i could chris king sour apple.
    kenda nevegal 2.2 rear and maxxis ardent front 2.4
    the tread on these tires is almost identical. krampus rides great as a normal 29er

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Since I was the other half of the trade with dropperpost i figured I would post up some shots of his large frame built up and already blasting around Texas.

I'm glad he is happy with my medium frame because I am very happy with the large.

Here it is on the trail after a fresh powder coat job:
    image by tim_w_sage, on Flickr

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tim_w_sage View Post
    Since I was the other half of the trade with dropperpost i figured I would post up some shots of his large frame built up and already blasting around Texas.

I'm glad he is happy with my medium frame because I am very happy with the large.

Here it is on the trail after a fresh powder coat job:
    image by tim_w_sage, on Flickr
    Nice colour. Glad the trade worked out.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Jon BALER
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by edge View Post
    Bummer. If you had to guess the cause would it be the front 30t or rear 42 that caused the rub? I assume you're running rabbit holes and knards..
    It's the 30t chainring, because it has extra spacers built in to allow the chain to clear the crank arms, which puts the chainline in further.

I have no issues with a 34t chainring and 42t rear.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by renegade44 View Post
    It's the 30t chainring, because it has extra spacers built in to allow the chain to clear the crank arms, which puts the chainline in further.

I have no issues with a 34t chainring and 42t rear.
    Thanks for the reply. You saved me some wasted time.. Would a 32t require spacers like the 30t?

I am running knards.

mtbr member
    I don't know why you would have chain rub with a 30t ring. I have over 4 mm clearance with the oneup products. 32t would be fine as well.
    BBB (big beautiful bike)

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    All the 30T chainrings on 104BCD cranks, that I have seen, have built in threads and a spacer that pushes everything inboard by about 3mm or so. This is so the teeth clear the chain. This enough to give a bit of rub with some rim/tyre combos. I got a bit of sidewall rub with a Dually/Chronicle.

With a 32T ring without the spacer, everything is rub free and groovy. Though ever so slightly harder work in the lowest gear.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I one-upped my Krampus - 32/42 - and I also built up some new wheels, Jungle Foxes with Chupacabra tires. Definitely a bit more volume than Rabbit Holes and Knards. If I used the chainring spacers One Up includes with 32 ring, I'd get a small amount of rub. So I just left them out for now, gives me a little more clearance (still pretty tight).

mtbr member
    Surly Krampus-imageuploadedbytapatalk1432369047.916362.jpg

New shoes! Amazing how light these rubbers are compared to the stock 27tpi knards. The weight feels the same as with my 2.4 folding ardents. Tried going tubeless with only 2 wraps of gorilla tape and no split tube and I can't get the bead to seat with a floor pump. Duallies or scrapers might be the ticket. I have used duallies before, but any feedback on the scrapers?

passed out in your garden
    Very nice aybee
    always mad and usually drunk......

That's REEAAALLLL Nice
    I'm 5'11.5" with a 32.5 inseam, and ride a medium. I'm running it SingleSpeed and ride trails 100% of the time. Bar width is 720 with an 85mm stem at the moment, and a thomson setback post.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Surly Krampus-krampus.jpg

This is my new custom Krampus 'murdered out' as the kids would say nowadays, with a bit of dust/ dirt on it. I had a stock version of the original krampus. Loved the bike, but felt like it could be much more fun if was lighter, and set up a bit more aggressive. I set about collecting parts over a year or so when I found them on sale for what I call a budget high end build. Shimano xt drivetrain, slx brakes, sram x1 crank with stock 32 tooth, thru axle DT 350's laced to hugo's, thomson stem and seatpost. The whiskey fork looks amazing with the matt/ flat black of the stock krampus ops.

sizing note: I am 6'3" and had an xl with my original krampus. For this build I went with a Large and a 110mm stem. The Xl fit fine for more of a touring style of bike, but with the longer stem the effective top tube between the L and XL is about 5 mm so basically nothing. In the singletrack, this thing rips compared to original krampus.

rim notes: I posted this on another thread, but I dented my hugo on the very first ride doing nothing aggressive, with about 18lbs of pressure, which is high for me. Stans warranty department was great and are mailing me a new rim no questions asked, and they said this rim will be second generation with more material and slightly heavier. Ill give an update how that rim goes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aybee View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432369047.916362.jpg 
Views:	4977 
Size:	416.0 KB 
ID:	990648

New shoes! Amazing how light these rubbers are compared to the stock 27tpi knards. The weight feels the same as with my 2.4 folding ardents. Tried going tubeless with only 2 wraps of gorilla tape and no split tube and I can't get the bead to seat with a floor pump. Duallies or scrapers might be the ticket. I have used duallies before, but any feedback on the scrapers?
    Gorgeous bike! It is cool to see what you guys running rabbit holes do with the rim tape to color match things.

And He was Not
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky.mountain View Post

rim notes: I posted this on another thread, but I dented my hugo on the very first ride doing nothing aggressive, with about 18lbs of pressure, which is high for me. Stans warranty department was great and are mailing me a new rim no questions asked, and they said this rim will be second generation with more material and slightly heavier. Ill give an update how that rim goes.
    THey did a warranty on mine, the new rims is definately different. Mine weighed in about 120 grams heavier which was fine with me. A slightly different shape on top also. I have not built it up yet.

Thanks to Stans for the good customer service
    The Truth is out there. Here it isThe TRUTH

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    THey did a warranty on mine, the new rims is definately different. Mine weighed in about 120 grams heavier which was fine with me. A slightly different shape on top also. I have not built it up yet.

Thanks to Stans for the good customer service
    Post a photo if you get a chance. Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aybee View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432369047.916362.jpg 
Views:	4977 
Size:	416.0 KB 
ID:	990648

Beautiful build! I was able to set up Chupacabras tubeless with the same setup you have. I just used a compressor to set the bead the first time. I have ridden 200+ miles with no issues.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Long-time lurker, first-time poster. I had been looking for a winter / bad-weather / single-track bike for a while. I spent a lot of time in the Fat Bike section, but couldn't pull the trigger. We went to visit our son in Scottsdale mid-May and the first thing he did was take me to Rage Cycles. There I saw a Surly Krampus Ops...and it was in my size. I had ridden a Krampus last winter (a co-worker owns one), and had really liked it. We went back the next day and I bought it. They shipped it to Iowa (I actually saved money because I didn't have to pay sales tax in Arizona), I did a bit of assembly and off I went. The photo is from last week...my first single-track ride ever (7.1 miles), but certainly not my last.

The bike needs a bit of tweaking, but it's a blast to ride.

And Rage Cycles, if you're in the Phoenix area (or even if you're not), is fantastic! I worked with Peter, but all the guys are super.

Surly Krampus-firstride50.jpg

Adventure Mapper
    A Surly Krampus review and some thoughts on the 29plus platform philosophy:

Last edited by forgiven_nick; 06-15-2015 at 08:44 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Surly Krampus-imageuploadedbytapatalk1434141651.409231.jpg

My boo.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Hi Everyone,

I started building up a Krampus and ran into some issues with my Hugo wheels. I ended up sending back the wheelset and bought all the parts to build up a set of Dually wheels. The bike has less then two hours on it but I thinking I might just stick with my current 29er at this point due to lacking of time with kids, work, etc. If anyone is looking for a like new medium Krampus please let me know by email at tswierkocki@yahoo.com.

I have a green medium frame, unused stock fork, a used carbon White Brothers fork that nicely fits the 3" Knard, Cane Creek headset, tuggnut, XT bottom bracket, like new Knard tires with the folding Kevlar bead, new Dually wheel set with lightly used XTR front hub and new XT rear hub.

Thanks,
    Tom

WNC Native
    Who has one SS that has a gear combo that will let the chainstay length be slammed? I'm getting ready to build another one, my last Krampus I ran 32x21 and seems like it was about a 1/4-3/8" or so back. Curious if 32x20 or 32x22 would tuck it all the way in?
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrousjunky View Post
    Who has one SS that has a gear combo that will let the chainstay length be slammed? I'm getting ready to build another one, my last Krampus I ran 32x21 and seems like it was about a 1/4-3/8" or so back. Curious if 32x20 or 32x22 would tuck it all the way in?
    I ran a 30x19 on mine last winter and had them damn near slammed forward.

mtbr member
    32 x 19 on a large is really far forward. 32 x 20 was slammed. Worried about riding in any mud type of slammed.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Had a Krampus over for a short visit. Hit some dirt, did a lot of close inspection and comparison to my ECR. They seem to be quite similar. The two had vastly different stem/bar but each fit the style of riding/rider.

I sort of think I ride a bit like an old man. Maybe influenced by the hugely tall frames I rode as a kid. I grew into it.

Either way I'm quite sure a single speed Krampus is next in line.

That's REEAAALLLL Nice

Krampus SS

Quote Originally Posted by Matterhorn View Post
    Either way I'm quite sure a single speed Krampus is next in line.
    I love my Krampus as a single speed! Still wearing regular 29er shoes, but will dress up with plus sized stuff in the near future.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Surly Krampus-wp_20150607_001.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Anybody know the bike computer calibration number for 29+ wheels? I'm running Chupacabras, wanting to install a Cateye Wireless.

IH, HYHT.
    Anybody know the bike computer calibration number for 29+ wheels? I'm running Chupacabras, wanting to install a Cateye Wireless.
    That number varies so much from rider to rider (based on weight and tire pressure) you're probably better off measuring and adjusting. Sitting on the bike (in riding position) with your stem lined up with a rock/chalkmark/crack in the pavement/etc roll through one revolution and convert that to milimeters (assuming you measured in inches). That will get you close. Want a better number? Find a trail with good mile markers (or highway) or ride with someone who uses a GPS. The actual distance divided by the stated distance times the measurement you're using equals the measurement you want. It's a little work, but I don't need a smart anything telling me how far GPS says I rode and I like to keep it simple(ish).
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

IH, HYHT.
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrousjunky View Post
    Have you thought about running a half-link KMC Single Speed Half Link | KMC
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I'm going to ride the Great Divide, and I want a bike computer as a backup to the GPS. I need accuracy because otherwise I can't follow the map directions, which are based on mileage.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Forster View Post
    Have you thought about running a half-link KMC Single Speed Half Link | KMC
    I have never had a half link last more than a ride or two. A full half link chain could be an option.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I'm going to ride the Great Divide, and I want a bike computer as a backup to the GPS. I need accuracy because otherwise I can't follow the map directions, which are based on mileage.
    Get a tape measure and wrap it around the tire. That measurement in millimeters should do.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Chalk mark on tire and pavement then roll forward until chalk mark is on the bottom, mark again, then measure. You can do 2 revolutions/2 for more accuracy. Then double check against mileage markers.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash5 View Post
    Chalk mark on tire and pavement then roll forward until chalk mark is on the bottom, mark again, then measure. You can do 2 revolutions/2 for more accuracy. Then double check against mileage markers.
    And do it with tires at the pressures you'll use with your riding weight on the bike. 2 revolutions divided by 2 is a good idea, and you'll get even more accurate if you do more than that.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Hello Friends,

Great looking whips here. I've been thinking about getting rid of my current 29er frame and possibly purchasing a 29er+ frame. I've been looking at quite a few different ones, Stache, Krampus and Ros9+. The thing I want to do is swap all my regular parts including my 29er wheels to the new rig and get 29er + wheels built up so I can just swap them out whenever I feel like it. Any thoughts and info from you all would be great.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by the KING View Post
    My new Krampus weight 10,5 kg

What size tires you have on?

mtbr member
    trek stache has the new boost standard , so your current wheels won`t fit,
    krampus and ros9+ should be fine for swapping the 29" wheelset

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Really debating getting a Surly Krampus, although it's much more than I had anticipated spending on a bike. Is it that much better than a Motobecane 29+ model?

I know it's a personal preference thing but I hate the green color, I see many people have a matte black, is that an option or are you guys having them painted?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mgftp View Post
    I know it's a personal preference thing but I hate the green color, I see many people have a matte black, is that an option or are you guys having them painted?
    The new version comes in black with swappable MDS dropouts. The original is available in green while supplies last.

Black Krampus ----> Krampus Ops | Bikes | Surly Bikes

The Krampus is a superb bike. Surly nailed it which is why it has such an enthusiastic following. I have no idea how the BD 29+ rides. You'll have to compare geo charts and then decide if you want to save the $$ bad enough to take a chance. Personally every time I start thinking about a different 29+ [had my Krampus 3 seasons now] I conclude I don't want to spend a bunch of $$ and end up with a bike that doesn't ride so great.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    So I have built up my new Krampus frame swapping everything over from my Karate Monkey. I have had a chance to go out and ride quite a bit this past month and would like to share my thoughts on My Krampus and 29+ in general. All i can say is that I Love it. It is fast on concrete, fast in the dirt, fast in sand. It's comfortable! It has shit tons of ground clearance. I'm loving this bike. Currently running a dually up front and I have 120 maxxis chonicles set up tubeless (which are the shit by the way) I have ridden over shit tons of cactuses bushwacking here in central texas and no flats set up tubless with orange seal (orange seal is the shit by the way) I'm also using a thud buster. I may try riding it without it to see how my arse feels. So far i'm stoke out of my mind with this rig!
    Last edited by mikeetheviking; 06-29-2015 at 03:11 PM.
    Mikee Likes It!
    @gordosbicycleclub

mtbr member

here's my bushwhacker

Surly Krampus-tress.jpg
    Mikee Likes It!
    @gordosbicycleclub

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    After many hours of research, and ruling out the new Trek 29+s because of ugly colors, I am learning hard towards the Krampus now, although it's about $1k more than I had originally planned to spend on a new bike :/

So that brings me to a question, is there a way to get a deal on this thing? There is only one Surly dealer within 2 hours of me and they say retail pricing is the best they can do. Is there a deal to be had online or somewhere that would save me enough to give up the local shop's assembly and warranty? I like to shop local and support these guys when I can but if I can save hundreds somewhere when I've already broken budget.... Thanks.

IH, HYHT.
    Quote Originally Posted by mgftp View Post
    After many hours of research, and ruling out the new Trek 29+s because of ugly colors, I am learning hard towards the Krampus now, although it's about $1k more than I had originally planned to spend on a new bike :/

So that brings me to a question, is there a way to get a deal on this thing? There is only one Surly dealer within 2 hours of me and they say retail pricing is the best they can do. Is there a deal to be had online or somewhere that would save me enough to give up the local shop's assembly and warranty? I like to shop local and support these guys when I can but if I can save hundreds somewhere when I've already broken budget.... Thanks.
    You're probably not going to find a deal on the Krampus unless you find a last year's model.

mtbr member
    You can't buy Surly complete bikes mailorder. So you are limited to used, buying a frame/fork and building it up or LBS you can drive to.

You could try calling all the Surly dealers within driveable distance to see who will offer the best price.

If you are willing to shop around you could probably build a Krampus from frame/fork for less than MSRP or you could spend the same $$ and get better parts, but it will require a bunch of your time to find sales.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    You can powder coat a Surly for ~$100 if you live some place that's a reasonable size. That way you can get a green one cheaper and turn it any colour you like.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I like the green. I dont like the Surly logo. But so what.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by drummerdavid View Post
    decals come off in 5 mins and the headbadge peels off as well.

$20 and you can have custom decals made to your liking.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Thanks guys, might just order from the local bike shop tomorrow then if nothing comes up before then. Hate the price but really excited for the bike, I think it'll be well worth the extra money over some other things I was considering early on.

IH, HYHT.
    Quote Originally Posted by drummerdavid View Post
    Ridden properly, it should be dust/mud covered.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Forster View Post
    Ridden properly, it should be dust/mud covered.
    agreed. although i add frame bags to the mud mix.

Krampus Frame Bag by Mike, on Flickr

Rohloff and drivetrain by Mike, on Flickr

mtbr member
    Made the jump into the 29+ pool, very happy with the first ride on the Krampus.

anything Steel

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    agreed. although i add frame bags to the mud mix.

Krampus Frame Bag by Mike, on Flickr

Rohloff and drivetrain by Mike, on Flickr
    now that is a properly dirty bike!

mtbr member
    Feb 2015

Chainring for OD crank

H-spam
    Is this the chainring you wanted for the Moonie? Not sure it relates to the Krampus but...

Oh, and I still want a Krampus SS. Nobody giving one away yet? You know they don't have Boost spacing and due to their weight they are in fact unrideable. Send me your XL frame and I'll dispose of it for you.

https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...8&category=649

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Matterhorn View Post
    H-spam
    Is this the chainring you wanted for the Moonie? Not sure it relates to the Krampus but...

Oh, and I still want a Krampus SS. Nobody giving one away yet? You know they don't have Boost spacing and due to their weight they are in fact unrideable. Send me your XL frame and I'll dispose of it for you.

https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...8&category=649
    i suppose in this case it does relate to the krampus since i want to upgrade to the shimano xt 11 speed cassette and rear derailleur on the krampus and then i can get one of those wolf tooth narrow/wide 28 tooth chainrings for the moony and move the sram cassette and the expanded range stuff onto the moony and run a 1x10 for trail duty and the 2x10 for touring/bikepacking...then i can take the xt cassette and the slx rear derailleur and either get another wheel built up on a blunt35 and an xt rear hub i have spare and use that for either the karate monkey or the ogre...

yup,i need to single speed the krampus,i think i have a spare 10 speed chain laying around i could cut down and just use my spacer kit,have to see if those surly cogs can take a 10 speed chain though

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Hi all, I'm a newbie, first post after reading all 128 pages about the krampus!
    I've just got myself an xl frame set (wanted one since they first came out)
    40th birthday was just the excuse!
    Im also sorted for wheels and tyres (hope,Hugo,chronicle)
    It's what I do next that I could do with advice/recommendations on if you would please?
    Anything at all to help would be great, there has got yo be some little gems given all the krampus riding you've all done.
    I'd like to go 1x10.
    crank wise, zee or slx? Or should I be considering something else?
    Handle bars are a personel preference thing, but I see people recommending high bend bars (salsa bend 2, jones etc) and others saying straight and flat works well krampus'd.
    Brakes, I'm pretty sure I'm going slx hydraulic as they work so well on my other bike.
    then just finishing gear, but that will do, I'll see how this goes down first!
    Thanks advance, and apologies if I've done something wrong.

mtbr member
    I went full xt 1x9 speed with a 30t narrow wide up front.
    Wide-ish bars 760mm and if you are running rigid some spongy grips like oury.

If you get your hands on a used fox 32 for a decent price (going for 200 used) it transforms the ride substantially.
    Would need a new bottom headset cup for that.

Enjoy the building!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Idontbounceanymore View Post
    Hi all, I'm a newbie, first post after reading all 128 pages about the krampus!
    I've just got myself an xl frame set (wanted one since they first came out)
    40th birthday was just the excuse!
    Im also sorted for wheels and tyres (hope,Hugo,chronicle)
    It's what I do next that I could do with advice/recommendations on if you would please?
    Anything at all to help would be great, there has got yo be some little gems given all the krampus riding you've all done.
    I'd like to go 1x10.
    crank wise, zee or slx? Or should I be considering something else?
    Handle bars are a personel preference thing, but I see people recommending high bend bars (salsa bend 2, jones etc) and others saying straight and flat works well krampus'd.
    Brakes, I'm pretty sure I'm going slx hydraulic as they work so well on my other bike.
    then just finishing gear, but that will do, I'll see how this goes down first!
    Thanks advance, and apologies if I've done something wrong.
    I would suggest a crank with a splined interface so you can use a direct mount chainring. That way you won't be limited to a 32t or larger chainring, and there are lots of options out there these days for narrow wide direct mount rings. Race Face would be my first choice right now, followed by SRAM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeny View Post
    I would suggest a crank with a splined interface so you can use a direct mount chainring. That way you won't be limited to a 32t or larger chainring, and there are lots of options out there these days for narrow wide direct mount rings. Race Face would be my first choice right now, followed by SRAM.
    Yup. I won't be buying any 104 BCD cranks anymore. Now I just have to wear out the ones I have!
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Ride On
    X9 FTW. Cheap reliable and only a few grams heavier than it's much more expensive brethren.

I have read somewhere that one can't run a chainring smaller than 30t without tire rub using a 1x10 with a 42t system can anyone confirm this?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Michael

Ride on!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeny View Post
    WolfTooth makes a 30t N/W for 104bcd.....

29ers Forever
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaBass_ View Post
    So does RaceFace

mtbr member
    May 2011
    It is set inboard so the chain doesn't hit the spider. This makes it more likely to rub your chain by a small amount.

My 32t raceface narrow-wide has worn quite quickly. Much more quickly than a cheapo deore 32t.

mtbr member
    I used one on my 1x10 Krampy with an 11-36 and had zero issues with rub.

Ride On
    I used one on my 1x10 Krampy with an 11-36 and had zero issues with rub.
    Seabass have you tried it with a 42t cog? I don't know why it would matter but thats what I heard somewhere...
    Michael

Ride on!

mtbr member
    I did not but the only issue I would foresee with the 42t would not be rub but the Rear Derailleurs ability to accommodate it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by geraldooka View Post
    Seabass have you tried it with a 42t cog? I don't know why it would matter but thats what I heard somewhere...
    I ran my Krampus 1x10 with a 40t cog with no chain rub.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by dcalabrese22 View Post
    I ran my Krampus 1x10 with a 40t cog with no chain rub.
    A bigger cog doesn't change your chainline so there's no reason it should be a problem.

Adventure Mapper
    Quote Originally Posted by forgiven_nick View Post
    A Surly Krampus review and some thoughts on the 29plus platform philosophy:

I can't believe how popular this video is. 5,000 plus views already!
    I make maps and seek out adventure using a Salsa El Mariachi with a 29+ front end. Read more here:

RideAlongside

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    After some discussion, and wondering why I generally feel far crappier at riding our typical NE roots and rocks, I pulled my Krampus apart to mount up a borrowed set of wheels. The rear is SS, and I mounted some SpecialEd Ground Control and Purgatory tires... a local shop friend suggested that the Rohloff I have takes forever to engage as it comes around in techy terrain... and he didn't like that once he tried mine (he's used to i9 hubs...)

Itty Bitty Tires by Mike, on Flickr

So to test this out I borrowed a set of Stans wheels with King hubs, pulled the Rohloff wheel and Dyno wheel off the Krampus. Left the shifter on so I can switch back and forth for (somewhat) easier testing of the theory (I also have a geared rear wheel I can run 1x10 if I want to test that to, on an XT hub).

Eye opening and enlightening.
    Here's the numbers I pulled while taking the bike apart... and note, this didn't start off as an exercise in weight reduction... this started off as curiosity over hub engagement.

My bikepacking Krampus build:
    39.6 pounds

It's heavy. Its a pig.
    I knew this. I never knew how heavy.

This includes:
    Frame bag with Lezyne pump and 2.5" downhill 29r tube
    Jerry can which holds my toolkit (pretty much camping / expedition ready)
    Split tube tubeless front wheel built with a Rabbit Hole rim and a 27tpi knard and a Shimano dynohub, 180 rotor, BB7 brake
    Split tube tubeless rear wheel built with a Rabbit Hole rim and a 27tpi knard on a Rohloff Speedhub, 180 rotor, BB7 brake
    Stock build stem (no name part)
    Surly Krampus fork aftermarket with anything cage bosses and 100000000 braze ons
    Jones loop bars
    Ritchey Comp something seatpost
    WTB Silverado saddle
    Exposure Redeye dyno tail light
    Exposure mount for dyno headlight
    Wires for lights
    Little bell
    ESI Grips
    Rohloff shifter pod and cables

Yeah. That's heavy.

With the SS wheels:
    30.8 pounds

I dropped 8.8 pounds by swapping wheels.

Slightly smaller rotor on the back, and I left the Rohloff shifter pod and cables on. Tires are Specialized Purgatory front and Ground Control rear, 2.3.

Then I started weighing the pieces...
    Original front wheel - 7.2 pounds!
    Rohloff rear wheel - 10 pounds!
    That is 17.2 pounds rolling around.

And for giggles my toolkit in a Revelate Jerry Can (which needs only a few minor things tossed in for camping / bikepacking trips) - it weighs 1.8 pounds.

Not sure what to do with the info... will run SS for a bit and see how I like the faster engagement of the hubs. Might go back to 1x10 but I'd need to build up another wheel or rebuild the Rohloff. Might move the Rohloff to the Pugs and swap parts around...

Members who have read this thread: 564