Page 31 of 76 FirstFirst ... 2127282930313233343541 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,550 of 3793

Thread: Surly Krampus

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Anyone have traction issues in wet conditions? I've noticed on wet anything I'm sliding around like a mother. Might just be a general "you're on a bike and it's wet" issue but it seems like I've got very low contact area with the higher PSI I'm running right now.

og1
    mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by salt_fish View Post
    ...seems like I've got very low contact area with the higher PSI I'm running right now.
    seems like you answered your own question right there. I run 15PSI with great results.

mtbr member
    I run 15-17psi and still have rear wheel slippage on wet rocks and roots. It's surprising to me that I'm getting slippage with low pressure, a big contact patch and such soft rubber. Speaking of soft rubber, are anybody's Knards wearing out much quicker than they were expecting? Is this just a Surly tire thing? Going back to the slippage, it's only on the rear wheel under heavy pedalling, no issues for me up front on turns. I was very pleased with the overall wet rock/root traction compared to anything else I've ridden.

mtbr member
    Posted on this very topic in another Krampus thread just today. The Knards are proving to be super slick in anything but dry hardpack. Grip out back has been very good. But my front end washes out very easily. I've messed with pressures from 8lbs. on. No good results. I am now convinced that the sidewall needs a more aggressive knob. All of my washouts have occurred in corners, wet, semi-damp and loose conditions. Two wrecks this season, ribs bruised both times. I can't wait for a better tire so I can really wring out this bike.

mtbr member
    Could be rider-error (I'm kidding) I have been saying this for many months, I would love to see some Nates, or similar, for my Krampus. I WILL be buying at least one for the front to try out when something else is made.

mtbr member
    Haha. I was thinking that too. But over the past 5 years on my fat bike, single and Multi-speed 9'ers, I've had one wash out fall.
    I'd kill for a 29+ Nate for the front.

Jon BALER
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacons View Post
    The Knards are proving to be super slick in anything but dry hardpack.
    They may not be a mud tire, but this seems to be a little of an over-statement. I raced over 80 miles yesterday at an extremely technical course with some mud and never once lost control. Patapsco 100 (the new and hardest 100 mile race you've never heard of)
    Patapsco 100: Rob Spreng ?I typically don?t DNF. I wanted to?? | dirtwire.tv
    Patapsco 100: Lance Byrd ?Every time you go fast, something hits you in the freakin? nuts? | dirtwire.tv

I love that this tires still rolls fast enough that I don't mind riding the roads to the trailhead, and yet climbs like a monster.

PATAPSCO 100 | dirtwire.tv

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Yesterday I was on a narrow (2 feet?) trail with lots of roots on the edge of a ravine. My back tire slipped sideways on a wet root and I ditched the bike and slid maybe 15 feet down in the dirt. Totally uninjured, I blame myself for not knowing how slippery wet roots are.

Today I biked to work and was showing a coworker my bike in the parking lot. Rode through some planters filled with rocks, jumped a couple curbs, speed through some grass and then completely wiped out afterwards during a low speed turn on wet asphalt. Took me completely by surprise because I had lots of traction all day before this. Maybe it was an oily spot who knows. My arm is p. gnarly looking but my pride is hurt worse than anything

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Posted on this very topic in another Krampus thread just today. The Knards are proving to be super slick in anything but dry hardpack. Grip out back has been very good. But my front end washes out very easily. I've messed with pressures from 8lbs. on. No good results. I am now convinced that the sidewall needs a more aggressive knob. All of my washouts have occurred in corners, wet, semi-damp and loose conditions. Two wrecks this season, ribs bruised both times. I can't wait for a better tire so I can really wring out this bike.
    Your not on your own Buddy, at the moment in the UK it have been dry for a few weeks so no problems and tyres are great. As soon as the ground gets wet an greasy the front will wash leaving zero confidence to attack and get the full potential from the Krampus. Agree we need a front tyre with side lugs, possibly a semi-slick, come-on Surly please sort it. Otherwise the Krampus is awesome.

I did read somewhere on the forum that another manufacturer was doing a 29+ tyre cant remember the spec though.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Traction in all sorts of wet stuff is great for me and I ride fast and hard. It's rained just about every day for the last couple of months and I have ridden in tons of mud (not a problem on my trails) and muck.

I did slide out while bikepacking with it when doing a slow u-turn on a dirt road. hurt my pride too, as a car was nearby and stopped until I waved them on.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by PretendGentleman View Post
    Traction in all sorts of wet stuff is great for me and I ride fast and hard. It's rained just about every day for the last couple of months and I have ridden in tons of mud (not a problem on my trails) and muck.

I did slide out while bikepacking with it when doing a slow u-turn on a dirt road. hurt my pride too, as a car was nearby and stopped until I waved them on.
    Ah you see Im but a mere mortal I dont have your superhuman powers lol

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Does anyone know what the Pantone or RAL colour code for 'Moonlit Swamp' is? Its the name of the current Krampus paint job, I know its not one solid colour as such so i'm not sure if there actually is a valid answer. It just might be nice for excessively OCD colour matching for rim tape...

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    You can grab this image and use image software to pull the color values. I'm not sure how carefully surly was with matching the color though.

http://surlybikes.com//uploads/bikes/swatch_krampus.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Yeah I've considered that and it generally works more or less, however an image like that could also not be perfectly accurate depending how it was processed to put on the web, an actual colour code of the average colour would be handy.

mtbr member

Surly Krampus

First time out on the trail with the Krampus. Everyone thought I was a bit of a lunatic on the trail with a rigid. Guessing most of them don't know too much about the Krampus.

I was impressed with the traction and it climbed much better than I expected. I just need to get in better shape.

gone walk about
    Quote Originally Posted by Gouda Cheez View Post
    First time out on the trail with the Krampus. Everyone thought I was a bit of a lunatic on the trail with a rigid. Guessing most of them don't know too much about the Krampus.

I was impressed with the traction and it climbed much better than I expected. I just need to get in better shape.
    use it and be ready for the transformation.
    "ORANGE IS THE NEW BLACK"

mtbr member
    krampus put to good use...

To return, so soon? | drj0nswanderings

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dRjOn View Post
    krampus put to good use...

Thanks for the Krampus ride report. Great to see them out 'xploring!
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member

My buddy built up a Knard/RH rear wheel for his fatbike. He liked it a lot on a tour last weekend.

However, his 27tpi Knard got a sidewall puncture. It was setup split-tube tubeless. The hole wouldn't seal well with Stan's inside so he patched it from the outside and got it to hold air pretty good. I assume he'll patch the hole from the inside now that he's at home.

My 120tpi Knards [tubed] didn't get any flats.

Still too early to say how they will hold up longterm. I keep my fingers crossed I don't have any issues real far from the trailhead.

So far I am loving the Krampus as a camping and 'xploring bike...
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member

Surly Krampus

Those pictures are awesome, especially that last one with the waterfall.

Here's one from my ride yesterday - only about 1/4 up the hill.

Surly Krampus-imageuploadedbytapatalk1373811286.266916.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve5S View Post
    Ah you see Im but a mere mortal I dont have your superhuman powers lol
    I wonder if my good traction experience also relates to my decision to buy a smaller size based on cockpit fit rather than going with surly's recommendations (that I think are a bit shoddy).

By buying based on your typical size (e.g., I've always run a medium, so I should get a medium krampus, right? they say yes, I say get a small), you get a bike that has a really long front end. Stretching out the front end results in less weight on the front wheel, meaning traction suffers for that wheel.

mtbr member
    May 2010

Loving the first few rides, though i'm thinking of putting a double crank such as Surly's OD Crank so there's a few lower gears to haul up hills on (I tend to be towing a Single Trailer pretty often).

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex.C View Post

Loving the first few rides, though i'm thinking of putting a double crank such as Surly's OD Crank so there's a few lower gears to haul up hills on (I tend to be towing a Single Trailer pretty often).
    I changed the stock ZEE single into a double, with some warranty-voiding machining. Works pretty well so far, and the chainlines are very close to the OD.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by drummerdavid View Post
    I changed the stock ZEE single into a double, with some warranty-voiding machining. Works pretty well so far, and the chainlines are very close to the OD.
    I'm interested to see that, do you mind posting some pics of it?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I'm interested to see that, do you mind posting some pics of it?
    For sure. Perhaps in the OD crank thread. Give me a few hours.

mtbr member

Surly Krampus

Have any of you converted to a 180mm front rotor? I'm a noob and don't know what adapter I need. :-/

Any advice?

mtbr member
    Anyone know what the frame reach is, XL if possible?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by EGF168 View Post
    Anyone know what the frame reach is, XL if possible?
    I've never heard of frame reach, but like most bike companies, surly does have geometry on their website. you can also google krampus geometry and it's the first link, but I'll make it really easy.
    Krampus | Bikes | Surly Bikes

mtbr member
    Stack & reach is how some companies are starting to express their bikes' sizing.

Surly doesn't provide that info. I'd measured it for you, but I ride a Medium.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Have any of you converted to a 180mm front rotor? I'm a noob and don't know what adapter I need. :-/

Any advice?
    Did you buy a complete Krampus? The Surly website lists it as coming with a 180mm disc brake.

If that's not what you have any LBS can sell you a 180mm rotor and the correct adapter.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member

I need more carrying capacity for my next tour than my Porcelain Rocket seatbag can offer and didn't want to ride with an uber heavy pack. So I mounted up an OMM rear rack on the Krampus.

Fitting the OMM rack with a Surly Tug Nut proved to be a slight PITA, but nothing I couldn't deal with once I busted out my dremel tool!

I've used this rack on dirt tours before and it's worked great, but I'll miss having a narrow lightly loaded bike that I can thrash without a second thought.

These OMM racks are pretty nice and made in the US.

I'll be going back to a lightweight setup for the rest of my tours this year.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member

Surly Krampus

Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    Did you buy a complete Krampus? The Surly website lists it as coming with a 180mm disc brake.

If that's not what you have any LBS can sell you a 180mm rotor and the correct adapter.
    This is going to sound odd as hell, and forgive me for not knowing much, but my Krampus was built by a LBS and has a 160 up front and a 180 rear. 99% sure anyway... I'll have to look again tonight.

mtbr member

Surly Krampus

And I'll add to it... I'm struggling to figure out which adapter I need... that's why I asked the question.

mtbr member
    This is going to sound odd as hell, and forgive me for not knowing much, but my Krampus was built by a LBS and has a 160 up front and a 180 rear. 99% sure anyway... I'll have to look again tonight.
    Your front brake provides most of the braking on any bike. It doesn't take much braking force to skid the rear wheel after which any additional braking is useless.

If you have a bigger rotor on the rear than the front I would swap them.

My Krampus was built from a frame/fork and I use a 180 up front and a 160 in the back.

And I'll add to it... I'm struggling to figure out which adapter I need... that's why I asked the question.
    Given your unfamiliarity with your brakes I would take the bike back to your LBS and see if it was assembled correctly. If not they should fix anything for free.

They can also sell you the rotor and adapter you need as well as install them for you if they didn't goof during assembly.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Vik... what gearing are you running front and back?

mtbr member
    Vik... what gearing are you running front and back?
    Currently I've got a 36T ring with a 16T cog on the Rohloff.

I've got a 34T ring coming that I will swap in as I don't use the high end of the Rohloff much for MTBing or touring.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member

Surly Krampus

Your front brake provides most of the braking on any bike. It doesn't take much braking force to skid the rear wheel after which any additional braking is useless.

If you have a bigger rotor on the rear than the front I would swap them.

My Krampus was built from a frame/fork and I use a 180 up front and a 160 in the back.

Given your unfamiliarity with your brakes I would take the bike back to your LBS and see if it was assembled correctly. If not they should fix anything for free.

They can also sell you the rotor and adapter you need as well as install them for you if they didn't goof during assembly.
    Thanks for the help. Noticed in a few Krampus reviews that folks mentioned swapping their 160 out for a 180... So apparently I'm not alone.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    By any chance did anyone get the front derailleur clamp adaptor with their complete built?

I notice in the document:

http://surlybikes.com/uploads/downlo...sert_Sheet.pdf

It says:

Front derailleur compatibility: High direct mount standard, clamp adapter included
    However mine didn't include it...

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Stack & reach is how some companies are starting to express their bikes' sizing.

Surly doesn't provide that info. I'd measured it for you, but I ride a Medium.
    cool, I hadn't seen that reinvention of the wheel. It looks like you can use their fork and ht length plus ht angle to calculate the stack, and then use that, bb drop, and seat angle to calculate the share of ett behind the bb, then subtract it from ett and you've got reach to the center of the steerer at the top of the headtube. This assumes that you ignore the bend in the seattube and just use their seattube angle as if the bend didn't exist.

mtbr member
    By any chance did anyone get the front derailleur clamp adaptor with their complete built?

I notice in the document:

http://surlybikes.com/uploads/downlo...sert_Sheet.pdf

It says:

However mine didn't include it...
    A der mount came my frame/fork.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    May 2010
    A der mount came my frame/fork.
    Maybe it just comes with framesets, not a complete. Now that I re-read that document I think its the insert for frame/forks not a complete...

You wouldn't happen to need that mount would you considering you're using a gear-hub? :P

mtbr member
    Maybe it just comes with framesets, not a complete. Now that I re-read that document I think its the insert for frame/forks not a complete...

You wouldn't happen to need that mount would you considering you're using a gear-hub? :P
    I'd like to keep it as my Surly builds morph over time.

I'd try asking Surly if they have any spares they can send you.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Ok thanks anyway.

Yeah i'm investigating where I can get one, however is the one you got with the frame one of these?:

Problem Solvers

mtbr member
    Ok thanks anyway.

Yeah i'm investigating where I can get one, however is the one you got with the frame one of these?:

Problem Solvers
    It looks the same - just no writing on the one with the Krampus.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member

Surly Krampus

If it makes you feel any better, I didn't receive the clamp or the chain guide it supposedly comes with. I may take Vik's recommendation and reach out to Surly.

Jon BALER
    Jan 2007

i did not get one either with my complete. i emailed surly once and never got a response.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    hey guys , quick ? i have regular thule roof rack , with a front fork lock , and issues with loading a krampus on one of these ...........
    thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    No issues other than needing a longer strap to hold the rear wheel down.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I was working out the parts to get to give a Krampus complete another ring and keep it as 'similar' as possible to existing parts and came up with this list:

* Front derailleur adapter (Krampus supplied one or a Problem Solver)
    * Surly OD Crankset (73mm)
    * Shimano SLX FD-M676-D Front Derailleur
    * Shimano SLX SL-M670 left shifter

The front rings of 26/39 (the 73mm OD Crankset come with as standard) with the stock cassette (11-36) on the back yields a gear ratio range of: 3.55 - 0.72, not super big but an improvement over the stock in both directions.

I might be able to change the small ring to a 22t (58mm BCD), but i'm having trouble finding an OD crank anywhere that's not a complete crankset - would have to get the crankset and replace the ring..

Does anyone have any opinion on this setup? Especially about the FD-M676-D I think its the right kind, ie dual pull/top pull. (Other than that it just might have been a better idea to just have built it up from the bare frame)

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I have one I will sell. $15+ shipping. Alex C gets first dibs. Want it?