Page 25 of 42 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627282935 ... LastLast
Results 2,401 to 2,500 of 4155

Thread: Surly Krampus

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by danridesbikes View Post
    updated pic of mine .. got round to fitting the King Inset 7 [/IMG][/URL]
    I'm little confused... If I am right the Krampus fork is 1 1/8", not tapered?
    The CK Inset 7 is for tapered (1,5" lower part) forks. So Inset 1 should be the exact choice?
    Did you just want the external cup to the lowerpart of headtube?

Is there some ready conversion kit for that?

Sorry for asking so many questions...

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Surly Krampus

What you need is a zero stack for the upper and an external bottom .
    Not sure how the King comes, but with a Cane Creek I had to purchase a reducer for the bottom race

Pedaling

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    yes Surly recommend external lower and zs upper,

i have a devolution base plate fitted

means this will slide straight in

Spy Shot! Prototype ENVE Carbon Rigid 29er Mountain Bike Fork

meh... whatever
    Quote Originally Posted by danridesbikes View Post
    yes Surly recommend external lower and zs upper,

i have a devolution base plate fitted

means this will slide straight in

Spy Shot! Prototype ENVE Carbon Rigid 29er Mountain Bike Fork
    yummy! hope it will see production soon.

fwiw, the whiskey/spot fork fits too - and is already on the market...

"Knowledge is good." ~ Emil Faber

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Here is my Krampus custom build powder coated in purple red mat. Rims are Velocity Dually, Brakes Avid BB7 MTN S and 1x10 ZEE drivetrain.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Surly Krampus-krampuspurple.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Hope this still look right after posting...
    When I lottered my Krampus frame size I compared data what I found from the this forum.
    I think it should help someone.
    Please tell if this is not appropriate to publish.

Frame size___Height___Inseam
    XL__________ 6'2" ____ 36"
    XL__________ 6'7" ____ -

L __________ 5'11" ____ 32"
    L __________ 6' ______ 32"
    L __________ 6' ______ 34"
    L __________ 6'1" ____ 34"
    L __________ 6'1" ____ 32"
    L __________ 6'2" ____ 34"
    L __________ 6'3" ____ 34"

M __________ 5'7" ____ -
    M __________ 5'9" ____ 31.5"
    M __________ 5'9" ____ 30"
    M __________ 5'9" ____ 33"
    M __________ 5'11" ___ 30"
    M __________ 5'11" ___ 30.5"
    M __________ 5'11" ___ 33"

S __________ 5'7" ____ 29"
    S __________ 5'8" ____ 31"
    S __________ 5'8" ____ 31.5"

Edit: spaces seems to disappear so change them to underline

And thanks for answers for the question about headset, I get it now.

mtbr member
    That's a good list. Probably good to clarify if inseam is pants inseam or pubic bone height.

Me: XL, 6'3", 36" PBH.

Quote Originally Posted by tirsintarsi View Post
    Hope this still look right after posting...
    When I lottered my Krampus frame size I compared data what I found from the this forum.
    I think it should help someone.
    Please tell if this is not appropriate to publish.

Frame size___Height___Inseam
    XL__________ 6'2" ____ 36"
    XL__________ 6'7" ____ -

L __________ 5'11" ____ 32"
    L __________ 6' ______ 32"
    L __________ 6' ______ 34"
    L __________ 6'1" ____ 34"
    L __________ 6'1" ____ 32"
    L __________ 6'2" ____ 34"
    L __________ 6'3" ____ 34"

M __________ 5'7" ____ -
    M __________ 5'9" ____ 31.5"
    M __________ 5'9" ____ 30"
    M __________ 5'9" ____ 33"
    M __________ 5'11" ___ 30"
    M __________ 5'11" ___ 30.5"
    M __________ 5'11" ___ 33"

S __________ 5'7" ____ 29"
    S __________ 5'8" ____ 31"
    S __________ 5'8" ____ 31.5"

Edit: spaces seems to disappear so change them to underline

And thanks for answers for the question about headset, I get it now.

mtbr member
    I am 6'3" with 36" pants inseam (I'll have to ask my tailor to measure my pubic bone sometime) and I ride a L.

Those ENVE forks are interesting. Integrated mudflap is a bit odd...

The Whiskey / Spot forks are sharp, but I really like my Carver and it was hundreds less. No branding on it whatsoever which I also kinda dig.

I swapped out from stock fork so I had to do the opposite of above and get a 1.5 external lower to replace the 1 1/8 on the Cane Creek that came on the complete.

Frt Range, CO
    Quote Originally Posted by kdb71 View Post
    ...I swapped out from stock fork so I had to do the opposite of above and get a 1.5 external lower to replace the 1 1/8 on the Cane Creek that came on the complete.
    I just bought a new lower bearing race and kept the stock cup/bearing in the frame. As a benefit, I can swap between either fork with about 5 minutes labor.

Universal Cycles -- Cane Creek Crown Races

110 & 40 Series Steel 1.5" Crown Race (52/40)
    Mfg#: BAA0173A
    UPC: 840226101644
    EAN: 840226101644

Teen Wolf
    Quote Originally Posted by deuxdiesel View Post
    I just finished my 4th (and probably final) SS race on my Krampus, and while it is the most fun bike I have owned, it is really hard to overcome the inertia the huge tires have on twisty and punchy trails. I love it as a play bike, but for me, it doesn't work as well as a regular 29er in SS mode. Anyone else have feedback on their SS Krampus?
    interesting, thanks for sharing. if i were getting one, it would be ss and i would probably race it at some point. was curious as to the ride quality on twisty singletrack. thanks for sharing your experience

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Re: Surly Krampus

Quote Originally Posted by cr45h View Post
    interesting, thanks for sharing. if i were getting one, it would be ss and i would probably race it at some point. was curious as to the ride quality on twisty singletrack. thanks for sharing your experience
    I'm building one now and will start running 28mm rims that I already have, 2.4 vee mission tires and SS gearing. Just to see if that's enough cush. Running gears is not an option..

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by cr45h View Post
    I don't ride SS but on twisty singletrack, it's fast as hell. You just have to put the tires to use and forego braking. When you do have to slow down, sure enough there's the cost of re-accelerating, but there's always a trail that is a poor match for any bike. If I were a lot taller and had more trouble hitting trees from leaning into curves, maybe I'd need to slow down more and would prefer low inertia wheels.

no brain no pain
    May 2011
    here's mine, from Belgium

31.30 Lb (without flask )

and a pic of my little family

other details on my flickr

mtbr member

Surly Krampus

Love that saddle.

Let's Ride!
    Quote Originally Posted by WyldStallyn View Post
    That Cambium looks tasty. How does it compare to a broken in leather Brooks?
    It was immediately broken in....plus, my leather brooks rivets started putting holes in all my pants, this one's rivets are different. I love it!! Highly recommend!!
    Master of Nothing, but dammit if I don't try..............

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Can't wait I just ordered a bunch of parts for my Krampus build just waiting for the Ops frame to drop. I had a Beargrease in the past and loved it but for this season I wanted something different and FUN, so I picked a 29+ over a standard 29er even though shes making me broke before shes even here lol but in all honesty I figure the Krampus is a good way to kick off quitting smoking.

so far the parts list is:
    XT front, Zee 142 rear hubs laced to Velocity Duallys + Tubeless set up 120TPI Knards
    XT Brakes + XTR centerlock Rotors (203 front/180 rear)
    Zee Crankset
    XT shifter and Derailleur, 11-36 + Hope 40T-Rex
    King Headset, XT BB
    Thomson Masterpiece Post, Race Face bars

Honestly the only thing I really have to gripe about is I wish it had a slightly longer top tube but that's because I stumpy legs and long torso (I did get to try out a stock krampus) In the future I am considering a lefty but that's a ways away.

mtbr member

kalamunda

Krampus and Lynskey about to start down Horny Devil on the Kalamunda Circuit.Surly Krampus-horny-devil.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    So is the RS-1 gunna fit 29+? I hope so.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I just replaced my worn drivetrain with a new oneup 42t cog, raceface 32t narrowwide, sram t2 med r der, 1030 11-36 cass and full length 1030 chain (surprisingly I can only remove 1 link without causing the med cage to bind, but longer chain wraps better on smaller cogs). It works great tooling around the neighborhood so far. Since I dropped the f der, I took out the monkey nuts and moved the rear axle all the way forward. I actually moved the wheel forward a week ago and have done 2 ride like that. The bike climbs much better with the wheel forward. Far easier to keep traction on rooty climbs covered with leaves. My 32-42 low gear is almost the same as my former 24t granny mated to the second gear on the cassette (32). I think this setup will even work on very long, crampy mountain climbs.
    The only thing I'm wondering about is if the chain will hit the tire in the climbing gear while going over bumps.
    Surly Krampus-880266d1395927332-11-42t-conversion-oneup-vs-wolf-tooth-pic_0153.jpg
    Surly Krampus-880267d1395927336-11-42t-conversion-oneup-vs-wolf-tooth-pic_0154.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    My set up hit rotor on caliper if I moved it all the way forward in the drop outs. I had to run the monkey nuts just to get a good set up on my rotor and caliper.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by TSOXBHK View Post
    My set up hit rotor on caliper if I moved it all the way forward in the drop outs. I had to run the monkey nuts just to get a good set up on my rotor and caliper.
    I put a thin washer under each caliper on the mounting bolt to fix this problem. by thin, I just mean a regular washer. maybe 1mm., from a box of metric washers, nuts and bolts I bought at harbor freight. works perfectly.

meh... whatever
    Quote Originally Posted by PretendGentleman View Post
    The only thing I'm wondering about is if the chain will hit the tire in the climbing gear while going over bumps.
    if it does, simply move your chainring to the outer position on the cranks.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by monogod View Post
    if it does, simply move your chainring to the outer position on the cranks.
    well, not so simple, as you can't do that without a compromise in chainline. It seemed to work well as is on a 4hr ride tonight. Far better than my previous triple setup worked in the granny and that was rideable.

mtbr member
    Moving the chainring to the outer position and putting your BB spacer on the non-drive side will give you something that's somewhat in the middle of being too close and rubbing and being too far away negatively effecting chainline.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch rides a SS View Post
    Moving the chainring to the outer position and putting your BB spacer on the non-drive side will give you something that's somewhat in the middle of being too close and rubbing and being too far away negatively effecting chainline.
    yes, it's continuously variable if you have a variety of spacer widths. I prefer to have the best chainline for climbing, so I will run the front ring as close to the tire as will work, which I am discovering through trial and error.

When I was using the MWOD if I moved my chainline out, the chain would pull off the bigger ring. Pretty much made the MWOD unuseable since offsetting it to the outside was the whole point. It would work, you just couldn't use the big (33t) ring with anything on the top half of the cassette.

meh... whatever
    Quote Originally Posted by PretendGentleman
    When I was using the MWOD if I moved my chainline out, the chain would pull off the bigger ring.
    ah.... hence your reply to moving the chainring a couple mm outboard. i can assure you that moving it outboard a couple mm will work fine provided there are not issues with your other components. voice of experience, i've been running 1x9 (and 1x10 using roadie stuff) on mtbs for over 10 years without chainline issues - thus my suggested tried and true solution.

if you're having issues with the chain pulling off the ring at the ends of the cassette when the chainline is pretty much centered on the middle of the cassette then it sounds more like more of a problem with the chainring than the chainline.

two solutions: narrow/wide chainring or chainguide.

both raceface and wolftooth make a n/w that will hold a chain like mad - and mrp makes a great, affordable chainguide.

mtbr member
    Just ordered a Krampus from LBS. They recommend a large. Im 5'10 with a 33 in inseam. My other bike is a 19in trek remedy 29er running a 80mm stem. After reading through the thread it sounds like a might have gotten a size to large. Anyone have any thoughts on that?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dea1276 View Post
    Just ordered a Krampus from LBS. They recommend a large. Im 5'10 with a 33 in inseam. My other bike is a 19in trek remedy 29er running a 80mm stem. After reading through the thread it sounds like a might have gotten a size to large. Anyone have any thoughts on that?
    I'm 5' 11" with a 33" pants inseam and ride a medium. I could do a large with a short stem.

The TT will be long so it depends how your torso/arms are proportioned and how long a stem you want to run.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member

I am 5'10 with a 33 inseam and I am riding a medium. I have a 90 mm stem with 620 mm wide bars. I don't think I would want it any bigger for me.
    BBB (big beautiful bike)

mtbr member

Surly Krampus

I'm 6'1" on a Large and feel that I would benefit from a shorter stem. You could always try that.

mtbr member
    It sounds like I would be better off on a medium, if it turns out I cant change it will running a shorter stem effectively change the reach? The reach on my remedy is 423mm +80mm stem 503mm total, The reach on the Large Krampus is 441mm So if I ran a 60mm stem total reach would be 501mm so should feel similar? Bike geometry and sizing is still a bit of a mystery to me.

mtbr member
    It sounds like I would be better off on a medium, if it turns out I cant change it will running a shorter stem effectively change the reach? The reach on my remedy is 423mm +80mm stem 503mm total, The reach on the Large Krampus is 441mm So if I ran a 60mm stem total reach would be 501mm so should feel similar? Bike geometry and sizing is still a bit of a mystery to me.
    Beyond simply fitting on the bike the two sizes will offer different wheel bases and different weight distributions....so they will ride differently even if you get the reach the same by varying stem length.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I would definitely recommend a medium to you. the large should be good for descending with the front wheel further out and a shorter stem. I figure with a bike like this, go smaller than usual since it's already big and resists moving.

mtbr member
    Went into the bike shop this morning. The bike had already shipped but they agreed to return it and ordered me a medium. Thanks everyone for the feedback.

SyT
    mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Glad that worked out. I'm 6'0" and all my other bike are and have in the past been large. I went with a large Krampus and believe I could've gone medium with this bike.

JYB
    mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I think that you ended up getting the correct frame size. I'm 5'10" with a 32-33" inseam and I'm riding a Medium. It's a fun bike!

mtbr member

Surly Krampus

5'11-34 inseam, Medium+straight seatpost+90 stem: perfect.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    I'll probably do Reba first. I'm feeling like living dangerously!

We have a lot of storm related blowdown on our trails so I'm going to be spending lots of time cutting & moving trees. And then be tired afterwards.

I'll put all the tools and parts in one spot so that next rain day I just need to add a 6 pack of beer to fuel the process.

I'd like to get the fork done in the next 2-3 weeks. My first tour is in 3 weeks and it will likely be sloppy so it would be ideal to have the Reba done before I go and then install it when I get back.

I need to score some tubes to split so I'll get on that now and do the tubeless setup after the Reba - so end of the month.

The touring will really get going in April so I'd like the Krampus all tarted up for then.
    Not to pester you, but, uh, is this done yet?

mtbr member
    Not to pester you, but, uh, is this done yet?
    Nope not done yet.

I have got the fallen trees cleared from the storm. Been on a 2 day bikepacking tour with the Krampus. Built up 2 new FS MTBs and done a bunch of trail riding in the mean time.

On the plus side I'm getting close. If nothing funky happens Saturday looks like a rain day and my plate will be clear to turn my attention to the Krampus.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Jon BALER
    Jan 2007
    So for folks running a 1x drivetrain on their Krampus, how many are running a bashguard? In the past, I always ran a bashguard on my bikes. Here in the mid-atlantic, we've got lots of log pile to go over, occasional rocks, and I've a big dude that rides hard without grace.

I haven't put a bashguard on my Krampus yet, and was fine all last year. I've been running a 30t or 34t chainring. Is the high bottom bracket of the Krampus enough to continue getting away without a bashguard?

I am sure there is no definitive answer, but curious what other people think and ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by renegade44 View Post
    So for folks running a 1x drivetrain on their Krampus, how many are running a bashguard? In the past, I always ran a bashguard on my bikes. Here in the mid-atlantic, we've got lots of log pile to go over, occasional rocks, and I've a big dude that rides hard without grace.

I haven't put a bashguard on my Krampus yet, and was fine all last year. I've been running a 30t or 34t chainring. Is the high bottom bracket of the Krampus enough to continue getting away without a bashguard?

I am sure there is no definitive answer, but curious what other people think and ride.
    It's all going to depend on where/how you ride and your personal preferences. Could it be useful? Yeah. I've smacked my chainring (lightly) a few times on log crossings and rocks, but not enough for me to want one. If I rode somewhere where I'd hit chainring often, I'd install a bashguard right away. The Krampus has a higher BB than other bikes, but it's not so high that it will clear everything you're hitting right now.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Re: Surly Krampus

Quote Originally Posted by renegade44 View Post

I am a heavier guy running the pressure pretty low lately due to conditions and dont think I have come close to hitting (34t cr) but like you said, probably no definitive answer. Should also be said this is my first season on the krampus.

mtbr member

Surly Krampus

Alright Krampus friends, what's the easiest, most effective way to convert my 1x10 to a SS?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gouda Cheez View Post
    Alright Krampus friends, what's the easiest, most effective way to convert my 1x10 to a SS?
    Really? It's the same as for any other Surly. Remove shifter, derailleur, and cassette. Mount SS cog, shorten and then tension chain.

If that doesn't make any sense, please go do some research.

mtbr member

Surly Krampus

Looking for specific info about a SS cog. The rest is pretty self explanatory.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gouda Cheez View Post
    Looking for specific info about a SS cog. The rest is pretty self explanatory.
    What kind of info? size, manufacturer, material? If you want cheap, just get a Surly. As for size, that will depend on what chainring size you have and what your terrain is like. If you've ridden another 29er SS, I would aim for a ratio close to that but a tad easier to compensate for the added weight and tire diameter.

mtbr member
    Surly cheap? I go for the $5 Shimano BMX cogs. They work fine on a steel freewheel, and you can get five or six of them for the price of the Surly.

Quote Originally Posted by bikeny View Post
    What kind of info? size, manufacturer, material? If you want cheap, just get a Surly. As for size, that will depend on what chainring size you have and what your terrain is like. If you've ridden another 29er SS, I would aim for a ratio close to that but a tad easier to compensate for the added weight and tire diameter.

mtbr member

Surly Krampus

I guess I was just curious if I could keep my current freehub and such and just use spacers and a single rear cog. Never really looked into it and usually the guys in this thread as helpful.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I am finally getting around to,putting my slx brakes on my krampus. The rear was super easy, but on the front, the caliper is hitting the spokes. I was thinking of just dishing the wheel, but I do not think it will move them over enough. HELP. I NEED TO GO DESTROY SOME TRAILS.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridefat1981 View Post
    I am finally getting around to,putting my slx brakes on my krampus. The rear was super easy, but on the front, the caliper is hitting the spokes. I was thinking of just dishing the wheel, but I do not think it will move them over enough. HELP. I NEED TO GO DESTROY SOME TRAILS.
    Sorry. I have SLX brakes on my Krampus, but I built my wheel using only the DS spoke holes so no clearance issues.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Just cut out all the spokes on that side of the wheel! Don't actually do that. You can get rotor shims to move it further from the center of the hub. Then your caliper will gain some clearance.
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    If I told you I saw a unicorn ****ing a leprechaun trail side, you'd probably be suspicious.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I have the rotor shims but I can't move my caliper far enough over. I need literally a few millimeters of room.

mtbr member

Here are some RS Reba RLT mods to get a Knard/RH to fit. Posted over in the Krampus suspension fork thread. Post #206.

You need a dremel tool with a sanding drum, some music and a beer...a sharpie is useful to keep you focused on the contact spots.

I'm going to setup my Knard/RH tubeless next and then do another test fit in the fork to ensure the tire is the same size before I paint the areas I sanded.

Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I still have the original fork on it, and it is the brake itself that is rubbing the spokes

mtbr member
    I bought a new/used Krampus frame this winter, but due to the weather and mechanical issues, today was the first day I really got to spend some time on it.

Overall, I enjoyed it, though I ended up bottoming out the tires at several points on the trail. Like Vik has said in the past, the Krampus is still a rigid bike. I didn't really learn that until today. Surprisingly, I was pretty OK with the slack front end. This is coming from a guy that has previous said the OS Blackuck with a 73* HA was the best handling bike I've ridden.

I put up more review points on my blog.

mtbr member
    I still have the original fork on it, and it is the brake itself that is rubbing the spokes
    Im running a Zee front and Deore rear on the stock Avid HS rotors. Clearance is close but it fits. What size rotors are you running?

Eating Hot Pockets
    I couldn't find an answer with general poking around, but maybe someone here has some dirt on the new Krampus Ops regarding the dropouts...
    I currently run my Gen1 Krampus geared with the axle all the way forward..
    On paper it reads the new vertical dropouts Ops frame measures the same chainstay length as the Gen1..but in photos it looks like the axle would be 3/4"-1" further back..
    I'd love the simplicity of vertical dropouts but don't think I would want to compromise with longer chainstays..
    Does anybody's know for sure?

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I am running a 180 front and a 160 rear. The rear fits by a mile.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    whelp, posting just to say I bought one...full build will come soon. I'm surprised at how light the frame and fork is.

anybody have a wheelset they're looking to part with, before I buy up some duallys, knards, and pay for a wheelbuild?

mtbr member
    Make sure your wheel is true clearance is very close for me. I put one thin washer between the adapter and the caliper to get the pads perfect with rotor. You could also try swapping calipers to see if it fits. If it did you would have to swap levers then bleed the brakes, not optimal but beats running the stock mechanical breaks.

SyT
    mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I had the same issue with mine (Formula Puros) I ended up shimming and putting on a 200mm+ (don't remember exactly) rotor. Still not a ton of clearance.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Anyone know when we will be able to get the ops frame? Are they going to be available when the completes are, or will we have to wait even longer?

Eating Hot Pockets
    Quote Originally Posted by sandwich View Post
    whelp, posting just to say I bought one...full build will come soon. I'm surprised at how light the frame and fork is.

anybody have a wheelset they're looking to part with, before I buy up some duallys, knards, and pay for a wheelbuild?
    hey Sammich i have a set of RH's built on black XT hubs...
    can prolly part with the 120tpi Knards if you must have em

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mactweek View Post
    Anyone know when we will be able to get the ops frame? Are they going to be available when the completes are, or will we have to wait even longer?
    Ops frame is showing an ETA for the middle of September. I'm assuming completes will be around the same time or shortly after. Keep in mind that Surly's ETAs are usually a bit off as well. I'd love to see the Ops frame out in September, but it could be later than that.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    While we are talking ETA's, know how about ETA's for the 29" DW & 26x3 Knard. Any info about those?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    last I read the derp wizard 29x2.8 is in Aug/September.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincentg View Post
    While we are talking ETA's, know how about ETA's for the 29" DW & 26x3 Knard. Any info about those?
    Late 2014 for the 29+ Dirt Wizards. I have no clue on the 26x3" Knards.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I got it to stop hitting the spokes, but I can't adjust the the rotor and pads to stop rubbing. I am going to try another front SLX I have and see if it helps. I really do not want to go back to the bb7s.

mtbr member
    Late 2014 for the 29+ Dirt Wizards. I have no clue on the 26x3" Knards.
    26x3" Knards are available now. I had no clue and it seems like others didn't also!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I got it to stop hitting the spokes, but I can't adjust the the rotor and pads to stop rubbing. I am going to try another front SLX I have and see if it helps. I really do not want to go back to the bb7s.
    Have you tried a regular 29er wheel? the offset spoke holes make for a low bracing angle, putting spokes a tiny bit closer to your brake caliper, but I suspect it's quite tiny unless you're running 400mm rotors.

If a regular 29er wheel clears the caliper, then you can change the lacing to get the clearance you need. Either have all spokes go to the left set of holes or switch every spoke to the other hole, resulting in cross lacing (spokes from left flange hit right set of holes and vice versa). With either change you don't need to relace the wheel, just detension it and then switch spoke holes one at a time. You will of course have to know how to retension the wheel, which is the more refined aspect of wheel building. There are probably easier ways to get the clearance you need, but not being able to see your bike, I can't tell you the easiest option.

mtbr member

Setup my front wheel split-tube tubeless. Dead easy.

Going to jump on the rear wheel next.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I love my Krampus OPS…. Pretty sure these aren't available for the general public yet.

You can like the raddest shop around here

and picture…

Surly Krampus-krampus-ops-2.jpg

more here Hope Cyclery: 2015 Krampus OPS A Picture Is Worth A Thousand Words?Take Two

Hope Cyclery

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Good job!

Ops frame is showing an ETA for the middle of September. I'm assuming completes will be around the same time or shortly after. Keep in mind that Surly's ETAs are usually a bit off as well. I'd love to see the Ops frame out in September, but it could be later than that.
    September? Hmmm watch talking about willis Facts are that they are stateside now and going through quality control… Hope you precooked though cause I hear they are sold through first production run.

Eating Hot Pockets
    Quote Originally Posted by hopecyclery View Post
    September? Hmmm watch talking about willis Facts are that they are stateside now and going through quality control… Hope you precooked though cause I hear they are sold through first production run.
    Why is it we never hear about pre-orders til it's too late? Happened last time with 1st Krampus.

HopeCycle could you please measure the chainstay length on those vertical dropouts? Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    yup, ill have a post up about this thing in the next week… keep checking hopecyclery.blogspot.com for more

Frt Range, CO
    yup, ill have a post up about this thing in the next week….
    I like the dropouts but nothing will ever come close to the beauty of the original sparkle green Krampus. You might want to check with Surly about make you an Ops frame in original green. Then you'd have something to blog about. just sayin'....

meh... whatever
    Setup my front wheel split-tube tubeless. Dead easy.

Going to jump on the rear wheel next.
    set mine up tubeless with one wrap of gorilla tape. dead easier! (and lighter)

mtbr member
    set mine up tubeless with one wrap of gorilla tape. dead easier! (and lighter)
    I'll take reliability and easier reseating in the field over saving a bit of weight. My Krampus is almost exclusively used on tour.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I love my Krampus OPS…. Pretty sure these aren't available for the general public yet.

You can like the raddest shop around here

and picture…

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	krampus+ops+2.jpg 
Views:	975 
Size:	186.3 KB 
ID:	888518

more here Hope Cyclery: 2015 Krampus OPS A Picture Is Worth A Thousand Words?Take Two

Hope Cyclery
    Looks like ECR caliber chainstay length judging by the gap behind the seattube. Is the wheel all the way forward? My krampus with the wheel slammed forwards climbs so much better than with the monkey nuts.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PretendGentleman View Post
    Looks like ECR caliber chainstay length judging by the gap behind the seattube. Is the wheel all the way forward? My krampus with the wheel slammed forwards climbs so much better than with the monkey nuts.
    The new frameset has the MDS dropouts. Looks to me like he's got either the vertical or 142 dropouts in..so there's no moving the wheel forward or backward.

mtbr member
    The new frameset has the MDS dropouts. Looks to me like he's got either the vertical or 142 dropouts in..so there's no moving the wheel forward or backward.
    Can you get the same short wheelbase with the modular SS/IGH dropouts as the old obsolete Krampus?
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Can you get the same short wheelbase with the modular SS/IGH dropouts as the old obsolete Krampus?
    No clue, but I want to find out. You'd think Surly would make the vertical dropouts give the shortest wheelbase possible, but it doesn't look that way.

meh... whatever
    I'll take reliability and easier reseating in the field over saving a bit of weight. My Krampus is almost exclusively used on tour.
    seated and inflated with a floor pump and no sealant.

mtbr member
    Surly Krampus-g6q3xa9.jpg
    new build finally up and running
    Josh

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Titanium

Well, after a long wait, this is the result. The ultimate 29+. Although it is not an actual "Krampus", it was inspired by one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Surly Krampus-tikrampus.jpg  

Surly Krampus-tikrampus2.jpg  

Surly Krampus-tikrampus3.jpg  

Surly Krampus-tikrampus5.jpg  

Surly Krampus-tikrampus4.jpg  

Surly Krampus-tikrampus6.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    whoah. dat 29+. what is the weight? What rims are you using?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Weight without pedals is 24.08lbs.

The rims are Schlick Northpaw 29+ (47mm wide)

SpoK Werks Handmade Goods
    Quote Originally Posted by ale50ale View Post
    Weight without pedals is 24.08lbs.

The rims are Schlick Northpaw 29+ (47mm wide)
    I'm running the same rims (without the Northpaw logo) on my Edelbikes 29+. They're really nice rims and build up super easily. Pretty bike. Are you a smaller guy or did you want a lot of standover? Just curious.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by 1 Speed View Post
    I'm running the same rims (without the Northpaw logo) on my Edelbikes 29+. They're really nice rims and build up super easily. Pretty bike. Are you a smaller guy or did you want a lot of standover? Just curious.
    I am 5'7" (170cm) and I have short legs.....

get down!
    Well, after a long wait, this is the result. The ultimate 29+. Although it is not an actual "Krampus", it was inspired by one.
    How is clearance on the fork?

Can you post a pic?

Did you have to offset the front wheel any?
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I'd love to run my lefty but don't want to give up the short stem that the krampo was designed for...

meh... whatever
    I'd love to run my lefty but don't want to give up the short stem that the krampo was designed for...
    it's doable.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    it's doable.

Yeah, but I'm not spending $1500 on a brand new MAX thing just to run a lefty! I'm sure that thing is great, but it's a very steep price of entry to still need to deal with possibly shortening travel, over-dishing the wheel, and still needing a proprietary hub!

meh... whatever
    Yeah, but I'm not spending $1500 on a brand new MAX thing just to run a lefty! I'm sure that thing is great, but it's a very steep price of entry to still need to deal with possibly shortening travel, over-dishing the wheel, and still needing a proprietary hub!
    sounds like ya don't want it that bad then....

non-max lefty with short stem:

Surly Krampus-pugsly-lefty-sm.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by appleSSeed View Post
    How is clearance on the fork?

Can you post a pic?

Did you have to offset the front wheel any?
    If you build the wheel with standard dish (ie. centered) it will only yield about 3mm of clearance from the knobs to the body of the lefty. This is NOT enough, as the wheel flex encountered under hard cornering causes it to rub.
    I found that offsetting the wheel by 3mm prevented any rubbing. In some cases, this offset may be necessary just to clear the brake caliper (depends on the brand).

get down!
    If you build the wheel with standard dish (ie. centered) it will only yield about 3mm of clearance from the knobs to the body of the lefty. This is NOT enough, as the wheel flex encountered under hard cornering causes it to rub.
    I found that offsetting the wheel by 3mm prevented any rubbing. In some cases, this offset may be necessary just to clear the brake caliper (depends on the brand).
    Thanks! I did a mock up on a 20mm internal rim just to check and even with that rim it was close so I was thinking it would def. rub.

3mm is not much at all so I don't mind doing that. Probably going to give it a go.
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

Baby Bear is in the house
    Very nice
    What rims are those?
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

mtbr member
    After finally getting several weeks of (non-snow covered) trail riding in I decided to try out some narrower 29 wheels on my Krampus to see how she handles. Thought about trying to just fit smaller tires on the 50mm Rabbit Holes, but opted for a second 35mm wheelset entirley. This not only saves a fair amount of weight (down to 26 pounds now), but allows the narrower tire profile to stay as intended and I can now switch back and forth in about 2 minutes depending on conditions.

Went with Stans Flow / Hope Evo 2 tubeless with Schwalbe Nobby Nic 29 x 2.35s:
    Surly Krampus-imag0939.jpg
    I was dumb (arrogant) enough to think I could seat the tires with a floor pump...which led to a hurried search for a schrader adaptor and a run to the compressor at the gas station. Other than that pretty simple to do.

Got a couple of rides in over the weekend and pretty much got what I expected. More agility, better climbing and a lot more traction from the tires. Handling is certainly different. I missed some of the float from the bigger, lower PSI Knards, but the 2.35 Nics still provide some float. It is, after all, a rigid bike.

On that note I've pondered a suspension fork, but in reality at least 75% of my riding since '92 has been on a rigid bike. Guess I'm a stubborn glutton for punishment.

It is a ton of fun and I really dig both options for the wheels. Plodding through inches of fresh snow, bikepacking through muck or flying around dry singletrack I am continuously impressed.

Oh, and with a 4 piece rod and an ultralight reel it's a great way to get from fishing hole to fishing hole for spring smallmouth:
    Surly Krampus-742.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by kdb71 View Post
    After finally getting several weeks of (non-snow covered) trail riding in I decided to try out some narrower 29 wheels on my Krampus to see how she handles. Thought about trying to just fit smaller tires on the 50mm Rabbit Holes, but opted for a second 35mm wheelset entirley. This not only saves a fair amount of weight (down to 26 pounds now), but allows the narrower tire profile to stay as intended and I can now switch back and forth in about 2 minutes depending on conditions.

Went with Stans Flow / Hope Evo 2 tubeless with Schwalbe Nobby Nic 29 x 2.35s:

Name:	IMAG0939.jpg 
Views:	1480 
Size:	176.3 KB 
ID:	890945
    I was dumb (arrogant) enough to think I could seat the tires with a floor pump...which led to a hurried search for a schrader adaptor and a run to the compressor at the gas station. Other than that pretty simple to do.

Got a couple of rides in over the weekend and pretty much got what I expected. More agility, better climbing and a lot more traction from the tires. Handling is certainly different. I missed some of the float from the bigger, lower PSI Knards, but the 2.35 Nics still provide some float. It is, after all, a rigid bike.

On that note I've pondered a suspension fork, but in reality at least 75% of my riding since '92 has been on a rigid bike. Guess I'm a stubborn glutton for punishment.

It is a ton of fun and I really dig both options for the wheels. Plodding through inches of fresh snow, bikepacking through muck or flying around dry singletrack I am continuously impressed.

Oh, and with a 4 piece rod and an ultralight reel it's a great way to get from fishing hole to fishing hole for spring smallmouth:

Name:	742.jpg 
Views:	348 
Size:	219.0 KB 
ID:	890958
    Dang, I miss bass fishin', no bass in Alaska. Maybe they'll bring some with climate change going on, and after the pike have eaten all the trout and salmon.

Let's Ride!
    commute fun
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Surly Krampus-video0020_0000047170.jpg  

Surly Krampus-img_20140505_160327.jpg  

Last edited by digthemlows; 05-06-2014 at 03:32 PM.
    Master of Nothing, but dammit if I don't try..............

Members who have read this thread: 548