Page 25 of 79 FirstFirst ... 152122232425262728293575 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,250 of 3918

Thread: Surly Krampus

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Hello, I need the help of experienced riders.
    In November I was looking for another hobby I could do 3-4 times a week and decided on cycling. Iím on the east coast, Florida, and live on the beach. I plan on building up to 25 mile rides. House to work is 25 miles with 24 of them on the beach and Iíd like to do that run once or twice a week as soon as I have the stamina and speed to do it in a reasonable amount of time. Otherwise Iíll be riding 75% beach and 25% trails. Nothing rocky and Florida is flat. I ordered a Surly Krampus complete from my LBS and have been waiting impatiently ever since. I am so amped about cycling I canít wait any longer and would like to order a second bike I can start enjoying now. This is where I could use your advice. From what Iíve read the surly Moonlander works great in soft sand. With the goals stated above what bike would you recommend? $3000 is my budget for the second bike. I appreciate any input. Thanks, Saint

mtbr member

Re: Surly Krampus

The fatter the tire the better in sand generally.
    CRAMBA Chairman

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    do you think the krampus and moonlander ride differently enough to be my only two bike for a while?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint711 View Post
    do you think the krampus and moonlander ride differently enough to be my only two bike for a while?
    Note that I don't own either bike, but I've ridden both and read a lot about them and am planning on getting a Krampus soon.

I think the Krampus will be your go-to bike and all-rounder, while the Moonlander will be the one you grab when you are going to be riding on the beach, or in the snow. The Moonie should be a great change of pace form the Krampus for general riding, but it really shines as a niche tool for riding where you need lots of float.

Jon BALER
    Jan 2007
    What kind of sand is the beach? I've ridden hard packed beaches that allowed cars with a 35 mm tire, but I am sure there are beaches with softer sand that could only be ridden by a moonlander. Then again, a moonlander could be noticeably slower on hard pack. 25 miles each way is relatively long commute by bike to not have the right tires.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I have both a Krampus and a Mukluk, and I've ridden both on sand, but not extensively. The Krampus is fine on reasonably well-packed sand, but if it gets dry and loose you need a fatbike. The Krampus has much more in common with a normal mountain bike than with a fatbike, especially given its relatively high bottom bracket. It's a great mountain bike if you don't care much about weight or suspension.

For significant sand I'd take the Moonlander every time.

mtbr member
    Those of you running tubeless successfully, what method of tubeless are you using? With one flat already and many thorns stuck in my tires I'm ready to go tubeless. I came across this blog on a google search and will most likely be trying this unless I see something better.

Bye bye tubes. | While Out Riding

mtbr member

That method still keeps too much weight. Surly rim strip plus small tube, albeit split, and sealant is damn near close to a regular 29 tube weight. If I'm going to do tubless, I want weight savings too.

I'm running an inside out sparkly tape and a run of stans ultra wide tape. Couple ounces of Stans and good to go. The biggest issue is the tape as rim strip. Too small and it pulls into the cutouts. Too big and your tape does not have enough purchase on the actual rim to make a good seal.

Let's just say I did mine over three times to get it right! Very frustrating.
    CRAMBA Chairman

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    i run a surly rim strip and split 24" schwalbe tube, i'm not in it for the weight savings, i just want peace of mind in regards to flat prevention.

mtbr member

these bikes are so capable in a lot of different spheres.....29er, fat 'lite' terrain, bike packing (see vik and cass. run the wheels light, tubeless and i reckon you are not far off 'normal' 29er weight...even with 26" DH tubes as i do, it aint onerous....

cross post to a story of mine thats in a blog-competition, bike packing a krampus over mixed terrain....
    hiking in finland: 2 bikepacking tales - fuel for mischief.

ALL the entries make me want to get an adventure on the go....

mtbr member
    Only reason I'm considering tubeless is for flat prevention. I've ridden flat-free with tubeless for years and my first Krampus ride with tubes I got a flat (luckily didn't happen until the end of the ride), followed by numerous thorns stuck in the tire on other rides. I'm still running the super heavy Surly tubes, so tubeless will save me some weight also.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch rides a SS View Post
    Only reason I'm considering tubeless is for flat prevention.
    +1 - even if tubeless doesn't save weght the flat protection and lower rolling resistance are worth it - as long as it's a reliable setup. If I have to mess with a tubeless setup a lot I'm not a fan. I'm hoping the RH's and Knards work okay tubeless for me when I get a set of RH's built up. I'll certainly give it a good try. Where I live in coastal BC running tubes is not terrible since we don't get massive numbers of flats. So it's not life and death.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dRjOn View Post

these bikes are so capable in a lot of different spheres.....29er, fat 'lite' terrain, bike packing (see vik and cass. run the wheels light, tubeless and i reckon you are not far off 'normal' 29er weight...even with 26" DH tubes as i do, it aint onerous....

cross post to a story of mine thats in a blog-competition, bike packing a krampus over mixed terrain....
    hiking in finland: 2 bikepacking tales - fuel for mischief.

ALL the entries make me want to get an adventure on the go....
    Great to see another Krampus being used for touring. It's a fine exploring bike...enjoy!
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Stans rims and 29X3 Knard on Mukluk

I've been running the Kevlar 29er Knard with the Stan's ZTR Crest rims for 3 months... tubeless. I've run the pressure down to 8 lbs. in front. No problems! I run a 29X2.3 Specialized Eskar 2Bliss tire in the back at 20-23 lbs. The XL Mukluk is 26 lbs. total. I run a Carver carbon fiber fork in front (which would cut 2 lbs. off the Krampus). I found that the Knard in back was overkill and rolls much better with the standard (lighter) 29er tire. This is a awesome set up for technical rocky single track without drops.

By the way...I also run the 29er Knard on the front of my carbon 29er hard tail with the Rockshox reba RLT. It's tight, but it works awesome. There are no sticks on our trails. Otherwise, I would take it off!

Paul-Palm Springs, CA

Quote Originally Posted by 1x1clyde View Post
    Heres mine.

Attachment 768184

Attachment 768185

Attachment 768186

]Attachment 768187

Been on it almost everyday for week.

Size large. Been running 16 psi here in socal without to much trouble.

Been going up whatever is in the way and going down everything I take my FS 29er down..it is scary how much speed this beast carries and once it is up to speed on flow and uphill it feels no different then any other rig I have owned....except its off camber grip is ridiculous lol!

26 1/2 lbs with the I9/Arch EX hoops, almost 28 lbs with the X Fusion dropper post.

1x10 XTR/XO drivetrain 34 front- 11-36 XX rear cassette, XTR brakes, Whiskey Handlebar, King Headset, Thomson Masterpiece post/X Fusion HiLo post and 60mm thomson stem.

I was not expecting to like this bike this much.....

Anyone run "regular" 29 tubes in a rim set up like this? I am currently using the recommended Surly 29 tube.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    paulmaag: Thanks for the info. Could you please tell us the maximum width of the Knard on the Crest rim? (mm preferred.) Thanks again! :-)

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

29er Knard with Crest rim

Quote Originally Posted by satanas View Post
    paulmaag: Thanks for the info. Could you please tell us the maximum width of the Knard on the Crest rim? (mm preferred.) Thanks again! :-)
    At 10 lbs. pressure the tire measures approximately 2.75 inches or 70mm on the ZTR Crest. I also have a Knard installed on a Sun Inferno 23 (Sette Razzo Sc with Reba RLT). Its exactly the same size. Both are set up tubeless.

Paul in Palm Springs

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Thanks Paul, very useful - I may just be able to fit one on the front of my first gen Fargo; the gap is 75-76mm. It's definitely worth a try, as it's sandy/rocky here, with sticks and mud generally a non-issue.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    That will probably have a lot to do with the upper flair to the fork. It fits in the Reba...just barely. Even with the narrower width that I am getting, this tire is still the biggest and lightest out there. I'm sure my Knard weighs less than 900-950 grams, although I have not weighed it.

Jon BALER
    Jan 2007
    my complete just arrived at my LBS on Saturday! Unfortunately, I just left town on a 10 day work trip, so have to wait to get it.

mtbr member
    "We just released about 140 Krampus complete bikes into open stock at QBP. Call your local bike shop NOW if you need one. They won't last beyond 4:20 CST today. Some frames are also being dropped. Giddy Up!"

-Surly Facebook page

Get 'em guys!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch rides a SS View Post
    "We just released about 140 Krampus complete bikes into open stock at QBP. Call your local bike shop NOW if you need one. They won't last beyond 4:20 CST today. Some frames are also being dropped. Giddy Up!"-Surly Facebook pageGet 'em guys!
    I KNEW there was a reason I was obsessively checking this thread. Called and got mine ordered. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I now have my Krampus and I love it. However, I was hugely disappointed with the quality of parts that came with the complete bike. Granted, $2k is not a huge amount for a complete, but the seat/seatpost are a joke. The stem looks as if it's from a Walmart special. Thankfully, I anticipated as such and I am now running a Salsa Pro Moto 1: Stem, Carbon Seatpost, Carbon bars. I also switched out the saddle with a WTB SST (ti rails) and XO hydros. I guess I should have just built one up from the fame and fork. But I am pleased with the Shimano gear (derail & cranks). It weighs in (with the new carbon bits) at 31lbs. Large frame.
    The pictures do it no justice. It looks even better in person. The 3" Knards appear a lot fatter in person as well... but they don't behave how they look... fast rolling, quiet. (I like them so much, I may be getting a set for the Muk). Frame design and welds are simple, clean. I love the 1x10 set-up.
    Last edited by Bacons; 05-05-2013 at 06:05 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bhc View Post
    My question was along the lines of will it be too much tire for a P-35?
    I riding Knards on Stans Flow rims without any problems. Someone else posted they had set Knards up tubeless on even narrower Stans Crest rims so I think you'll be fine on P35s.

I've got some P35s on my MTB [not with Knards] and I really like those rims.

I'm going to get some Rabbit Holes this summer once my bike budget replenishes. I figure since I am buying new rims I might as go as wide as I can since I'll be keeping the Flow wheelset if I ever feel the urge for a narrower Krampus rim.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member

3 Krampus completes [sm, med, lrg] in stock at the Fairfield Bicycle Shop - Victoria, BC.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    At last!!!! LBS putting together my complete Krampus.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Surly Krampus-image.jpg  

Surly Krampus-image.jpg  

Surly Krampus-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Surly Krampus

My LBS (Tree Fort Bikes) has a couple Krampus completes in stock. Including one in my size. I was super tempted to bring one home, but my wife would have my hide after buying 2 other bikes in the past 6 months.

Looks like a blast to ride and would be a great bike for the types of trails in my area.

I wonder if I can get a set of rabbit holes w/ knards to fit in my Beargrease frame....?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Picked up my Krampus on Friday. So far I have put some Hayes Stroker Trails on the Aivd rotors. For the first trail ride I ran the front at 15 psi and the rear at 12. This thing climbs like a champ you can stand up on loose sandy climbs with no loss of traction. Can't wait for more!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Surly Krampus-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Got mine today; surprising in person. Wheels look larger than in any picture, it is surprisingly light compared to how it looks and it goes real quick when you step on the pedals.

I guess the bike shop is going to upload a picture to their FB so I'll repost it here when that happens.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Got my Krampus today. Took it on a 15-mile shakedown ride. Surly is on to somethin, here. Review to follow.

I'll just say for now that it is a fat bike, just a lot more responsive and maneuverable than my Pugsley. The tires are, in fact, frigggin' huge...and awesome.

mtbr member
    picked up my Krampus this past weekend, looking all over web for things to make it mine. where did you get the "saltyman" decal?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by leonmajor View Post
    Picked up my Krampus on Friday. So far I have put some Hayes Stroker Trails on the Aivd rotors. For the first trail ride I ran the front at 15 psi and the rear at 12. This thing climbs like a champ you can stand up on loose sandy climbs with no loss of traction. Can't wait for more!
    Looks nice, makes your other bike look like a kids toy! One question, why higher pressure in the front? On a rigid bike I usually do the opposite, as there is less weight on the front wheel. I have settled on 13 psi rear, 11 psi front, 190lb rider & techy east coast trails. Enjoy!

Jon BALER
    Jan 2007
    I got a couple of rides in on my complete Krampus. The first was a 45 minute, solo, mellow ride on the mostly non-technical neighborhood trails. No funny stuff, and the bike rode well. I havenít used trigger shifters in about 5 years, so part of the ride was just getting used to them.

Did a longer ride last night in Patapsco/Avalon and Rockburn near Baltimore, MD. The Krampus/Knard/Rabbit Holes lived up to the billing of rolling fast on the not super aggressive tread, but the 3Ē tires at 15-18 psi soaked up the small stuff nicely (215 lb rider w/o clothing & gear). Definitely felt smooth riding over roots, and going fast was no issue.

The highlight was visiting the Rockburn skills park at the beginning of the ride. I havenít spent a lot of time there trying to master everything with my 29er, Rigid, Single Speed, perhaps attempting it on 3-4 rides. I never could clean the two most technical lines (outer downhill with rocks and Melanieís Madness uphill). The Krampus cleaned the outer line pretty much first time through, and I got up Melanieís Madness on about the 4th try. Iím sure the 1x10 drive train helped, but those large tires definitely gave a big advantage on the large rocks.

Probably could loose a little psi on the trails, but felt dangerously close to pinch flatting on the huge rocks in the skills park.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I swapped out the OEM Surly Tubes for a set of Qtubes Super Light ( Q-Tubes Super Light 29" x 1.9-2.3" 32mm PV tube in Tree Fort Bikes Tubes (mtb) (cat545) ) and standing start acceleration is improved...taking away rotational mass has some nice benefits. Not certain of the weight of the stockers (no scale), but the 172g Qtubes feel (in hand) nearly half as much as the Surly tube.
    More reports on longevity/reliability of the thinner tubes forthcoming...

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by renegade44 View Post
    Did a longer ride last night in Patapsco/Avalon and Rockburn near Baltimore, MD. The Krampus/Knard/Rabbit Holes lived up to the billing of rolling fast on the not super aggressive tread, but the 3Ē tires at 15-18 psi soaked up the small stuff nicely (215 lb rider w/o clothing & gear). Definitely felt smooth riding over roots, and going fast was no issue.

The highlight was visiting the Rockburn skills park at the beginning of the ride. I havenít spent a lot of time there trying to master everything with my 29er, Rigid, Single Speed, perhaps attempting it on 3-4 rides. I never could clean the two most technical lines (outer downhill with rocks and Melanieís Madness uphill). The Krampus cleaned the outer line pretty much first time through, and I got up Melanieís Madness on about the 4th try. Iím sure the 1x10 drive train helped, but those large tires definitely gave a big advantage on the large rocks.

Probably could loose a little psi on the trails, but felt dangerously close to pinch flatting on the huge rocks in the skills park.
    Was this last week? Wednesday or Thursday evening? I saw what I thought was Krampus pass me as I slowed on yellow trail because I thought my fiancťe had called out to me - she was behind me. I screamed out, "nice bike" as you rode past. First one Ive seen in Patapsco.

Jon BALER
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by _Alberto_ View Post
    Was this last week? Wednesday or Thursday evening? I saw what I thought was Krampus pass me as I slowed on yellow trail because I thought my fiancťe had called out to me - she was behind me. I screamed out, "nice bike" as you rode past. First one Ive seen in Patapsco.
    No, it was last night.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Had to be muddy damn

Jon BALER
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by _Alberto_ View Post
    Had to be muddy damn
    No, conditions were great. The rain that went through this area during the day on Monday was very short. The rain barely made it through the trees, and the trails were dry enough to absorb a few drops. Check the rain history graphs on wunderground.com weather stations. They showed only .01" or .02" of rain accumulation for the day before we started. I take trail conditions seriously, and don't ride when muddy. Bikes were clean at the end of the ride.
    Last edited by renegade44; 05-08-2013 at 12:28 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Definitely a Fatbike despite what Surly says. Lighter than my Pugsley by at least ten pounds and more agile and maneuverable as advertised but it still has that solid connected to the ground feel.

Picked mine up two days ago. Got the large frame which fits me perfectly. I'm 5'11.

After my first ride the first thing I did was replace the handlebars. They are about the widest bars I have ever seen and I felt like I was steering a bus. I replaced them with Specialized's low rise Enduro bars which are pretty wide in their own right but also added some height to the front cockpit. I prefer a more upright posture.

I replaced the mechanical disc brakes with a set of Shimano Deore hydraulic brakes that I had laying around from another project. I have never liked mechanical disc brakes. They just don't seem to stop as well.

Other than my usual saddle and pedals I have left it as is. It has a 36-tooth Shimano Zee front chainring and crank and an SLX ten-speed rear derailleur. I have a 34-tooth chainring on order for a little bit of a lower gear selection which I think is important to this bike...it's no speed demon but with the appropriate low gear will climb anything.

I don't like the chain keeper; it's some kind of derailleur-looking thing that rubs the chain in the lowest gear. I've ordered a Bionicon C Guide that hangs under the chainstay which should fix that problem.

On my first ride I had the tires pumped up rock hard and rode it back and forth on a rooty section of trail, dropping about five psi at a time.

20 psi is pretty good for me and the Knard tires do a very good job of absorbing hits from roots and such on the trail. Over big obstacles it's like any rigid bike and you have to use your arms and legs as the suspension. The tires roll really well once you get them up to speed and keep rolling but you can feel that inertia holding you back initially.

The rims look cools with those cutouts but I wonder if that's just a window for a random stick to puncture the tube.

The tires make the bike very agile at low speeds and seem to stick even at weird off-camber angles or on unbanked curves. Their tread clears mud easily and they grip, like I said, really well.

The frame is solid. Steel gives a very nice ride quality I think. I have the rear tire all the way forward in the horizontal rear dropouts to get the true chainstay length as short as possible. Surly supplies inserts to push the wheel back in the dropouts if you want to run a front derailleur and of course it can be converted to single speed easily.

Not a fast bike. It's too heavy and the wheels are two big for that.You have to be the Krampus and, once I settled down and accepted that it is about a third slower than a conventional mountain bike for the same input, had a very nice, interesting ride albeit a slow one.

It's lie a diesel tractor. You just get on it and chug away at a sensible cadence and before you know it you are down the trail.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Surly Krampus-krampus.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I agree with the above poster. I just got back from 15 miles and my legs are about as sore as 30 on my other bike. I definitely was having the most fun going through mud on the trail and up gravel washouts and I would classify this as a true fat bike, especially after I let some air out of the tires.

I thought it was really funny; the clerk at the bike shop carefully wiped her finger prints off the frame after checking the serial number and then I immediately covered the entire frame in mud : )

One point I would disagree wtih above is that in my opinion the wide bars are awesome. When you're going through really deep mud (and probably snow) you can really balance above the bike. One note though; they are wider than most door frames which makes it tricky to move around.

Speaking of moving around I'm interested to hear how you guys are transporting these bikes around. My large is like 6'2" long which makes it impossible to fit in a car and possibly hard to do on the back of a car. Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I want one! I want one! I want to see how it would do out here in far west texas
    WHEN IN DOUBT?!?! PEDAL OUT!

mtbr member

I guess it's all relative. I have about 25 miles on my Krampus and it feels light and fast, but I've been riding a Pugsley exclusively. Got the tire pressures down to 14/12 f/r and I'm about 200 with gear. It sure does put a grin on your face!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    [QUOTE=AleRider;10379981]I guess it's all relative. I have about 25 miles on my Krampus and it feels light and fast, but I've been riding a Pugsley exclusively. Got the tire pressures down to 14/12 f/r and I'm about 200 with gear. It sure does put a grin on your face!

Love the looks of the krampus! Why are you running with more air in the front tire than the rear? By any chance does the knard self steer at lower pressures?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by salt_fish View Post
    I agree with the above poster. I just got back from 15 miles and my legs are about as sore as 30 on my other bike. I definitely was having the most fun going through mud on the trail and up gravel washouts and I would classify this as a true fat bike, especially after I let some air out of the tires.

I thought it was really funny; the clerk at the bike shop carefully wiped her finger prints off the frame after checking the serial number and then I immediately covered the entire frame in mud : )

One point I would disagree wtih above is that in my opinion the wide bars are awesome. When you're going through really deep mud (and probably snow) you can really balance above the bike. One note though; they are wider than most door frames which makes it tricky to move around.

Speaking of moving around I'm interested to hear how you guys are transporting these bikes around. My large is like 6'2" long which makes it impossible to fit in a car and possibly hard to do on the back of a car. Thoughts?

For transport, get one of these: (Ford Transit Connect)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Surly Krampus-connect3.jpg  

Surly Krampus-connect4.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    In regard to the Krampus, it's really not that heavy. Mine weighs in at a shade over thirty pounds but my Stumpjumper FSR Elite is close to 29 pounds and I don't have a problem with it. The Krampus feels heavy, however, because of those stupidly awesome wheels and rims. They are monsters and once you get them rolling it's kind of like riding a steamroller...but they are harder to get rolling than the Mavic Crosstrails on my 19 pound full-carbon rigid Stumpjumper.

Dinner for wolves
    Transit Connect...love.
    Responds to gravity

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I put a White Brothers 490mm carbon fork on mine and can't say enough good things about it. Makes the front end a lot lighter and really takes the edge off of rough terrain.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak View Post
    Transit Connect...love.
    Man this hobby gets expensive fast ha

mtbr member

Fits fine in a hitch mounted bike rack.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=Team Honeybadger;10380076]
    Quote Originally Posted by AleRider View Post
    I guess it's all relative. I have about 25 miles on my Krampus and it feels light and fast, but I've been riding a Pugsley exclusively. Got the tire pressures down to 14/12 f/r and I'm about 200 with gear. It sure does put a grin on your face!

Love the looks of the krampus! Why are you running with more air in the front tire than the rear? By any chance does the knard self steer at lower pressures?
    Oops, I meant 12/14 f/r. I haven't noticed the self steer like I have on the Pugs. Maybe at lower pressure?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Man this hobby gets expensive fast ha
    It's my only car.

Girlfriend tolerates it.