Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
    Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    The Chronicles are not at their best for muddy, wet or loose conditions, period.

With either RR or NN, I have not had traction loss as I would with a 2.something tire. I don't run em hard as tungsten and have traction for days.
    The key is air pressure! A slight squish and they are velcro. Developing a lighter riding style is also greatly improving performance.

Climbing with Sarge has been by far, less daunting than many bikes I have ridden over the years. As a matter of fact, often times a 2.something bike is going slower on climbs than Sarge.
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Glad to hear positive review on the fork. I am the same weight as you and have wondered how the performance would be on the Comp it if it would be worthwhile looking for a Pro, or spending the extra $$ to upgrade the air spring as was done by Goose. Interested to hear your thoughts on the fork after a few more rides.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by minivanpride View Post
    My next purchases for this bike will be a sensible set of 29er wheels/tires for variety's sake. Any recommendations on good cost-effective combos that keep with the ethos of the Sergeant?
    Im also interested in this question as I've got a defective rear hub and thinking of options. One of which is just buy a set of 29ers while I figure out how to deal with this hub.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanbouma View Post
    Im also interested in this question as I've got a defective rear hub and thinking of options. One of which is just buy a set of 29ers while I figure out how to deal with this hub.
    Didn't you just get the Sergeant? The hubs already going? I imagine it's covered under warranty?

Anyone know if the V2 wheelset with Durocs uses the same hubs at the V1 Mulefuts?

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    If you are still under warranty, get in touch with Alex straight away. He's been awesome at taking care of issues in short order.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by BansheeRune View Post
    If you are still under warranty, get in touch with Alex straight away. He's been awesome at taking care of issues in short order.
    It's a month old but been acting weird since day 1. He put me in touch with Hays/SunRingle but they want me to send it to them. From Canada its expensive and doesn't make sense. I will try to fix it and I think they will supply the parts. It shouldn't cost me anything provided I can figure it out ok. I've never rebuilt a hub though.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    It's a month old but been acting weird since day 1. He put me in touch with Hays/SunRingle but they want me to send it to them. From Canada its expensive and doesn't make sense. I will try to fix it and I think they will supply the parts. It shouldn't cost me anything provided I can figure it out ok. I've never rebuilt a hub though.
    Bummer, I've heard this was a common issue with the rear hubs, but I thought I heard that SunRingle had remedied the issue.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by dernbiebs View Post
    Bummer, I've heard this was a common issue with the rear hubs, but I thought I heard that SunRingle had remedied the issue.
    Maybe I got new old stock or something. When it freewheels it makes a clunk and grabs the chain every rotation or so. But its not consistent. I can feel the chain jerk in my feet as I coast. Thankfully it still pedals although I get the occasional clunk and ping when pedalling too.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I blew the hub on my v1 sergeant on the first ride (it was one of their demo bikes). Turned out that it had a defect in one of the slots where the pawl sits. I didn't notice that when I was trying to figure out what was wrong, but my mechanic did. Might be worth having someone local take a look at it and then you'll have a better idea of what the problem is when you talk to SunRingle. Just a thought- good luck!

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Well, I think I found the issue. Two pawl springs aren't working right. One isn't working at all, just loose. The other is gritty and sticky.

Is there a freehub upgrade available? The aluminum body was fairly gouged from the cassette rings. I'm gonna ask the Sun Ringle guy if a steel one is available.

mtbr member
    I had the exact same thing happen to me on my sergeant, Alex from rsd passed my info to Sun ringle and they sent me out a new pawl and spring set right away, I haven't had any issues with the hub since, I have had a couple of issues with the sun ringle rear hub on my mayor and ended up with the steel upgrade (the alloy driver was pretty gouged) , I haven't had the cassette off the mayor since the steel upgrade but I would assume that the gouging issues wouldnt happen on the steel. Get in touch with Alex, I've probably had more warranty issues than most with my 2 RSD bikes and every time I'm treated fairly and always come away from the experience happy with the end result, rsd hands down has some pretty awesome customer service thanks to Alex.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Im worried they're only going to send springs and pawls because something gouged the driver inside the hub too. You can see marks between pawls in this photo: https://www.dropbox.com/s/y1zkt8232q...30254.JPG?dl=0

Those marks are only between the broken and good pawl. I sent the photo and mentioned it to Sun ringle but I don't think he understood. I think he probably was referring to the gouges on the outside of the driver, which are normal and expected.

Yes Alex has been doing his best, but I am quite frustrated with this bike. First the star nut creeped out and I couldnt assemble the bike. I dont live near an LBS so Alex sent a new star nut but it never showed up. I broke down after two weeks and drove to a shop to buy a $1 part and set the new nut myself. Assembled the bike and the brakes had a problem. Still dont know what was wrong but I could not safely ride the bike. Alex was great and sent new brakes without hesitation. New ones work. Got 5 rides on the bike and now the hub has me out for who knows how many rides. I gotta do the work on my brand new bike. I looked seriously at used and went new for reliability. Having a hard time enjoying the bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    The guy from Hayes sent me new everything. Bearings and axle etc. Even sent the freehub body in chromoly like I asked about. I'm super happy about that. I should be back riding very soon and I am very happy about that!

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    The guy from Hayes sent me new everything. Bearings and axle etc. Even sent the freehub body in chromoly like I asked about. I'm super happy about that. I should be back riding very soon and I am very happy about that!
    Welcome to the world of mass produced parts. It has happened with projectors that retail over 100k and I got stuck with having to resolve it. Yus, it's a bummer when multiple issues arise and that can occur regardless of bike maker.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Welcome to the world of mass produced parts. It has happened with projectors that retail over 100k and I got stuck with having to resolve it. Yus, it's a bummer when multiple issues arise and that can occur regardless of bike maker.
    I understand that. The post you quoted was more of me saying I'm really happy with how Hayes handled the replacement parts. They sent everything to make sure I was covered instead of skimping out and sending just new pawls and spring or even just a new freehub body would have been all I expected. Instead I can rebuild the whole thing with what they sent. Awesome.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    These days, any manufacturer that will go the extra mile bears paying attention to. With that level of service, they obviously are spot on with custy care as well as caring about their products bringing a good service life. If all were this way!

With 8 pages going, where are y'all riding your Sergeants? Let's see em in the wild enjoying some +bike habitat!!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Sorry for a generic question on such a specific thread but I enjoy coming back to discuss the Sergeant. What maintenance do you perform on your bike prior to storage? Crazy question right? Unfortunately, I suffered a total tear of my distal biceps tendon last week. I'm going under the knife this week and won't be able to ride for a while. So, prior to an extended period out of the saddle, are there any specific maintenance items that I should make sure are good to go? Thanks.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Should be able to just hang it up and be good from there.

Keeping in a place away from exhaust fumes will preserve tires.

Speedy recovery, my friend....
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Thanks, Banshee. Just wanted to make sure there wasn't something specific that should be addressed. I appreciate the well wishes also.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Maybe deflate the fork, leave it in the highest gear, make sure it's clean dry and lubed, and rotate the wheels everyonce in a while so the tires don't develope flat spots. Maybe overkill...

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Im worried they're only going to send springs and pawls because something gouged the driver inside the hub too. You can see marks between pawls in this photo: https://www.dropbox.com/s/y1zkt8232q...30254.JPG?dl=0

Those marks are only between the broken and good pawl. I sent the photo and mentioned it to Sun ringle but I don't think he understood. I think he probably was referring to the gouges on the outside of the driver, which are normal and expected.

Yes Alex has been doing his best, but I am quite frustrated with this bike. First the star nut creeped out and I couldnt assemble the bike. I dont live near an LBS so Alex sent a new star nut but it never showed up. I broke down after two weeks and drove to a shop to buy a $1 part and set the new nut myself. Assembled the bike and the brakes had a problem. Still dont know what was wrong but I could not safely ride the bike. Alex was great and sent new brakes without hesitation. New ones work. Got 5 rides on the bike and now the hub has me out for who knows how many rides. I gotta do the work on my brand new bike. I looked seriously at used and went new for reliability. Having a hard time enjoying the bike.
    That messed up freehub looks just like mine! I have a 2016 Big Chief with Mulefuts. Sun Ringle SRC hub. I've about 500K on. I've had the rear bearings changed twice and yesterday I just changed the pawls and ratchet ring.

Is this freehub body done?

While I'm complaining, I had to have the SRAM Guide R levels warrantied because they wouldn't return in warm weather (known issue). I love this bike, but I've done more work on this bike in 18 months then an old Trek I ran for 13 years. None of this is RSDs fault though.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by stm32disco View Post
    That messed up freehub looks just like mine! I have a 2016 Big Chief with Mulefuts. Sun Ringle SRC hub. I've about 500K on. I've had the rear bearings changed twice and yesterday I just changed the pawls and ratchet ring.

While I'm complaining, I had to have the SRAM Guide R levels warrantied because they wouldn't return in warm weather (known issue). I love this bike, but I've done more work on this bike in 18 months then an old Trek I ran for 13 years. None of this is RSDs fault though.
    Frankly, I have done very little following the build of three RSD's. Being mindful that mass produced components are likely to have a %age of product failures when you are dealing with items produced in batches of a million or more. So, if we look at the total number of failed item x out of a production run of 1.25 million, where is the % of failure at?

With the Sram brakes, I had a lever fail and warranty was excellent. The Sram brakes are on the shelf for emergency situations and Hope Tech3 E4's are the daily driver. There's nothing like fitting F350 brakes to a Toyota SR5!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by stm32disco View Post

I need to get my Guide R brakes replaced for the same reason. What's the process to get them warrantied?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by MinesPunk View Post
    I need to get my Guide R brakes replaced for the same reason. What's the process to get them warrantied?
    The bike shop I normally go to was very familiar the warm-weather problem. In my case, I took the bike in and they sent the levers away and put them back on. It took just under 3 weeks. SRAM has a 2 year warranty.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    I have a feeling my SRAMs will be gone before I have any warranty issues. They just plain suck. I've increased the front rotor to a 203 and still not enought. Saints or Hopes as soon as I can afford them.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    I have a feeling my SRAMs will be gone before I have any warranty issues. They just plain suck. I've increased the front rotor to a 203 and still not enought. Saints or Hopes as soon as I can afford them.
    XT is dual piston now too

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by MinesPunk View Post

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    Speak with Alex and he can direct you on this. LBS should have no issue with warranty if they are still covered.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Hello people, I have just purchased a Sergeant frame and need some guidance on tires. I am looking for the preferred 2.8 tires for New England roots and rocks. I'll be on 40mm internal rims and interested in traction and durability more than speed.
    Bicycles don't have motors.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    Hello people, I have just purchased a Sergeant frame and need some guidance on tires. I am looking for the preferred 2.8 tires for New England roots and rocks. I'll be on 40mm internal rims and interested in traction and durability more than speed.
    Maxxis has their DHR/DHF, Schwalbe offers Nobby Nic 2.8 snakeskin for a lil more durability. Ether should serve well.

And, bicycles do have motors... Look in the mirror to have a look at one!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Any Middlechild ride reports?

Should we start a new thread... Love the sarge but kinda itchin for some slack steel

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dunlop01 View Post

Should we start a new thread... Love the sarge but kinda itchin for some slack steel

Fat-bikedotcom will have a spotlight soon and a subsequent review. I take those with a grain of salt, tho.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Maxxis has their DHR/DHF, Schwalbe offers Nobby Nic 2.8 snakeskin for a lil more durability. Ether should serve well.

And, bicycles do have motors... Look in the mirror to have a look at one!
    All good suggestions but I picked up a pair of Maxxis Chronicles for a discount...waiting for my frame. my 140mm Yari and my wheels. Drivetrain will be a 1x10 with all XO bits, XO brakes too, all from my old hardtail.
    Bicycles don't have motors.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    I have my original equipment Chronys. Never have used em again tho. Simply didn't like the feel or performance of them.
    Sounds like a solid build for ya. Let the adventures begin!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Well, now I have a really annoying creak that sounds like it's coming from the cranks. I was chasing my seat post, handlebars, etc. but I'm pretty sure it's the cranks. Anybody else have any creak issues with the raceface turbines? I'm debating pulling the cranks off and the BB apart and relubing and assembling to try and get rid of it. Any success stories would help. Thanks.

Oh ya, that's only 9 rides in on it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

I built mine up over a week ago. A new specific thread would be awesome. Can't figure out how to post photos on this forum for some reason. So far getting used to the bike, but like it more every ride.
    2018 RSD Middlechild
    2016 Norco Sasquatch 6.1
    2010 Giant STP SS

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Well, now I have a really annoying creak that sounds like it's coming from the cranks. I was chasing my seat post, handlebars, etc. but I'm pretty sure it's the cranks. Anybody else have any creak issues with the raceface turbines? I'm debating pulling the cranks off and the BB apart and relubing and assembling to try and get rid of it. Any success stories would help. Thanks.

Oh ya, that's only 9 rides in on it.
    After two years of riding Sarge, he's behaving well and have not had the creaking BB crop up yet.
    An overhaul should resolve it. Lube the spindle as well as set the preload appropriately and you should be good to go.
    The Race Face BB has some form of thread locker compound on it from the factory that is supposed to prevent creaking from the BB shell/cup interface.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    After two years of riding Sarge, he's behaving well and have not had the creaking BB crop up yet.
    An overhaul should resolve it. Lube the spindle as well as set the preload appropriately and you should be good to go.
    The Race Face BB has some form of thread locker compound on it from the factory that is supposed to prevent creaking from the BB shell/cup interface.
    My raceface turbine /wolftooth CAMO was creaking... Not a stock RSD, either. Was way worse when i was cranking hard as a single speed.

I reinstalled and regreased. Never touched the bottom bracket. Check the spider bolts and especially the raceface preload ring. I haven't had problems in a while after the last cleaning and its super dusty here in socal.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    My raceface turbine /wolftooth CAMO was creaking... Not a stock RSD, either. Was way worse when i was cranking hard as a single speed.

I reinstalled and regreased. Never touched the bottom bracket. Check the spider bolts and especially the raceface preload ring. I haven't had problems in a while after the last cleaning and its super dusty here in socal.

Creaking is below the stature of a Sergeant... Just sayin'!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Thanks guys. Sounds like a re and re will take care of it. I'm even more positive that's the creak now.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678