Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Unfortunately the slide outs need to be slammed all the way back for no chain or chainstay rub, and that is at real world riding psi at 12 in the rear. I might drop another psi or so once getting it dialed but rub will still be an issue if the sliders aren't back all the way. The knobs are definitely a few mm wider than the casing and the tire is also very tall with the treads. I also need to add another link or two to the chain, as I can no longer get into the 42t gear. I'll get them in the dirt tomorrow for a real ride report and/if any issues. Sarge is definitely looking a bit meaner, and more of what my idea of a plus bike should look like now.

RSD Sergeant thread (Pix are appreciated)-img_4966.jpg

RSD Sergeant thread (Pix are appreciated)-img_4964.jpg

RSD Sergeant thread (Pix are appreciated)-img_4963.jpg

RSD Sergeant thread (Pix are appreciated)-img_4959.jpg

RSD Sergeant thread (Pix are appreciated)-img_4958.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I just plunked down my money on a 2016. I am currently running a Norco torrent 7.2, love it but so does my wife. She told me I could upgrade and she wants the torrent. I was looking at full suspension, higher dollar hardtails, etc. With the discounted price I kept coming back to the Sarge, I can afford to add a dropper, another set of wheels with 3.8's, whatever I want. I hope i like it as much as all you guys do. Looks like I'll be selling my fatbike now.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by triathloner View Post
    I just plunked down my money on a 2016. I am currently running a Norco torrent 7.2, love it but so does my wife. She told me I could upgrade and she wants the torrent. I was looking at full suspension, higher dollar hardtails, etc. With the discounted price I kept coming back to the Sarge, I can afford to add a dropper, another set of wheels with 3.8's, whatever I want. I hope i like it as much as all you guys do. Looks like I'll be selling my fatbike now.
    Infidel!! No need to sell the fatty just cause ya got a Sarge of your very own...
    I have both Sarge and the Mayor and love em both cause they outperform everything else in the price range. Doll up Momma's bike and get your RSD out and have a great day of riding with the Mrs... And do keep the fat cause it's definitely awesome riding fat from time to time as well.
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I'm starting to think about a plus bike, and the claims that Sargent can run a 27.5 x 3.8 or 29+ tire are very enticing for a long distance fat bike (my legs don't do well with a 100mm bottom bracket). Anyone done that? What was the frame clearance? Does it require a truncated cassette? Thanks!

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Shred, those are looking as fat as my minion FBF's which are labeled 3.8. We all know that Maxxis overstates sizes regularly tho.
    With the FBF's I run 6-7 front and 8-9 rear and they are da bomb! Heavy as hell but surprisingly, they roll very well.
    Crux is looking good on your bike. Might hafta source a pair of em.

Sarge got hold of my card and went berserk ordering brakes for himself and the Mayor. Guess he didn't wanna go down solo!
    Doctor recommended...

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by fotooutdoors View Post
    I'm starting to think about a plus bike, and the claims that Sargent can run a 27.5 x 3.8 or 29+ tire are very enticing for a long distance fat bike (my legs don't do well with a 100mm bottom bracket). Anyone done that? What was the frame clearance? Does it require a truncated cassette? Thanks!
    While I did look into 29+, I found that 27.5 is very nice in terms of keepin it playful while still having the rollover of tall wheels. I do run the 3.8's for the additional floatation although, they are in no way a replacement for real fat. (4.8)
    I use a 30x36-11 with no issues. 3.8 and flip the chainring and away ya go.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by JScoot View Post
    Hi I've been looking at the sergeant and comparing it to a steel jamis dragonslayer. Obviously I like how much lighter the sergeant is on paper, but I wonder about the old aluminum vs. steel conundrum. I'm in my 40's and been riding full suspension, do you sergeant riders find that the fat tire smooths out the rear of the bike so that the ride is not too harsh? Or do you still get bounced around like with other hardtails? Any feedback will be helpful, thanks.
    Yes, you'll still get bounced. The plus tire won't replace a rear suspension. The plus tire will help to absorb some small roots and trail chatter. But when it comes to larger roots or baby head rock gardens you'll need to raise off the seat or get "bounced".
    The biggest benefit I've found with the plus tire size is the added stability and traction with turns and climbing. Also the rollover ability, it doesn't get hung up as much on obstacles like those skinny little 2.25 tires.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Thanks for the replies. When I'm looking at the 2016 build kit, it has the 11-36 cassette with a 30 tooth chainring. How does that feel on tech uphills? Has anyone swapped out the cassette for 11-40+? Will the stock derailleur allow for a bigger granny gear? Thx.
    I swapped out the 11-36 with a GX1150 10-42 cassette and GX derailleur. Required an XD driver for compatibility. Also upgraded to an XO 11 speed shifter. Needed that extra high gear sometimes for steeper climbs. Been very happy with the set up. To reference Spinal Tap... Most people's gears only go to 10, mine go to 11.

Also changed the chairing to an Absolute Black oval 28t, boost version. Very easy swap. No problems with shifting or chain line. No problem adjusting from round to oval. Feel like it's improved my climbing as well as traction with climbing.

RSD Sergeant thread (Pix are appreciated)-img_20170521_124234.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Hi I've been looking at the sergeant and comparing it to a steel jamis dragonslayer. Obviously I like how much lighter the sergeant is on paper, but I wonder about the old aluminum vs. steel conundrum. I'm in my 40's and been riding full suspension, do you sergeant riders find that the fat tire smooths out the rear of the bike so that the ride is not too harsh? Or do you still get bounced around like with other hardtails? Any feedback will be helpful, thanks.
    You'll still get bounced on a hardtail. The plus tires won't replace a rear shock. It will help absorb some small roots and trail chatter. But when it comes to large roots or baby head rock gardens, you'll still need to raise off the seat or get "bounced".

The biggest benefit that I've found to plus tires is the added stability and traction in turns and climbs. Also it's rollover ability, keeps better momentum, doesn't get hung up on obstacles as much as those skinny little 2.25 tires.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    I've just registered to share my custom built Sergeant. I discovered the RSD brand and the Sergeant with this thread while searching for a frame to build my first mountain bike. Did my first ride today and I have to say, it was awesome! Need to fine tune some stuff, but overall, this will be the closest I'll get to own a monster truck!

Ps: it's like 99% finished on this pic.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RSD Sergeant thread (Pix are appreciated)-bike-sergeant-2017.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Houblon mixte View Post
    I've just registered to share my custom built Sergeant. I discovered the RSD brand and the Sergeant with this thread while searching for a frame to build my first mountain bike. Did my first ride today and I have to say, it was awesome! Need to fine tune some stuff, but overall, this will be the closest I'll get to own a monster truck!

Ps: it's like 99% finished on this pic.
    Welcome to the Platoon mixte... bike looks good.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Went tubeless about a week ago, definitely can tell a difference. Like a new pair of sneakers.... I can run faster and jump higher! Used my already seasoned Rocket Ron Lite skins with about 3oz of Orange seal. No leaks or seeping. While I was at it, I changed the black rim strip with some bling. Now the Sarge is prancing around the trails like some kind of show pony.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by makpak42 View Post
    Went tubeless about a week ago, definitely can tell a difference. Like a new pair of sneakers.... I can run faster and jump higher! Used my already seasoned Rocket Ron Lite skins with about 3oz of Orange seal. No leaks or seeping. While I was at it, I changed the black rim strip with some bling. Now the Sarge is prancing around the trails like some kind of show pony.

Love it! What did you do for a rim strip? I'm looking for a green rim strip similar to my green Race Face Chester pedals

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MinesPunk View Post
    Love it! What did you do for a rim strip? I'm looking for a green rim strip similar to my green Race Face Chester pedals

☝🏻What Punk said... what did you use for a rim strip? I've been wanting to do this as well, but I know getting the width of the strip just right makes a big difference tubeless setup with the mulefuts.

mtbr member

Hard to beat the package Rocket Ron offers. Supple, voluminous, light weight, plenty of traction for the skilled rider in almost all conditions.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016

Thanks. I ordered the "Bling Strips" from fattystripper.com. (don't put a space between fatty and stripper, brings up search results you don't want to see, trust me ). When ordering, provide wheelset model and size so he can cut them to size. It's essentially a reflective strip made by 3M.
    Also used Sun Ringle rim tape, tubeless valves and Orange Seal ordered from Tree Fort Bikes.
    Watched a couple "how to" videos and got to it.

It was difficult to get the Bling strip to lay flush to the rim. So I put the original black rim strip over the top to hold the Bling strip flush and in place. When I did that, because the black strip is so tight, it created a fold/ripple in the Bling strip. I used 2 plastic tire levers. I put them under the black rim strip and across the rim, like a bridge, about 6-7 inched apart. That created some space. So by sliding the levers along the rim I was able to manually work the ripple out and center the Bling strip in the rim along the way. The black rim strip held the Bling strip nice and snug to the rim. I also lined up the original valve hole in the black strip to the rim but you probably don't have to.
    I overlapped the Bling strip ends over the rim valve stem hole. Careful you don't have have a bling strip end showing in a rim hole.

Reapplied the rim tape, pulling it tight and worked it in. The rest was pretty easy.
    Probably had both wheels done in a little over an hour. Of course the second wheel went quicker than the first one.

As far as durability for the Bling strip, I don't know. Seems good but time will tell.

I know its more info than you asked for. Just wanted to express my experience with it, if it may help anyone. And fyi, I like bourbon

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Thanks! What 3.8 tire do you run? I realize that they aren't a drop in replacement for a 4.8 (or 2xl), but 3.8s have their place. Honestly, I stayed on a 3.8 this winter because I was lazy and didn't switch my rear tire.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BansheeRune View Post
    Shred, those are looking as fat as my minion FBF's which are labeled 3.8. We all know that Maxxis overstates sizes regularly tho.
    With the FBF's I run 6-7 front and 8-9 rear and they are da bomb! Heavy as hell but surprisingly, they roll very well.
    Crux is looking good on your bike. Might hafta source a pair of em.

Sarge got hold of my card and went berserk ordering brakes for himself and the Mayor. Guess he didn't wanna go down solo!
    Thanks BR... I'm really, really digging the new tires. Having some minor issues with leaking sealant from the beads but the tires are very impressive, and I am equally impressed by the added volume, grip, and rolling speed. Really like the bite of the side knobs too, I'm able to tilt Sarge a bit more sideways into the turns without drifting much. They'll start to slip a bit when pushed real hard, but the outer side knobs bites in and holds a nice solid edge, and let's you hold your line instead of adjusting speed or your original line. I definitely recommend them. Amazing float/volume, much more traction and bite in the turns than the RR, roll real fast like the RR, not terribly heavy ~1075grams, and they are very supple. Also priced very well, tires came to $55 per tire shipped from Italy. Sarge is loving his new rubber 👌🏻👍🏻. How are the hopes working for you? They look mint, I'm sure the performance is primo too.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Sarge is enjoying the "New Black" brakes. The nice thing is just a light tug on the lever yields results. If the brakes don't throw ya through the widshield, they don't work...

On to those Crux's, sounds like a fantastic find on those! The tread pattern appears to have a fast rolling center with an aggressive edge. Pfft! Now I might hafta order up a pair of em. :/

My RR's are the liteskin version to keep Sarge svelte. Started running em tubeless a few months ago when a friend recommended Orange Seal over Stan's.
    I just cannot deal with the disastrous mess that Stan's makes of my tires. The other issue is the sealant would make tires feel like 2 ply DH tires with thornproof tubes. Not one issue with OS and tires are still supple and holding air well. Not one seep of fluid or sealant with OS.

foto, I have the Maxxis FBF 3.8's. There's no comparison between the FBF's and say, Knard 26x3.8. Knard is way fatter than the FBF. The FBF's roll fast and all that and feel similar to a Larry with double deep treads. Float is nice and riding sand works well especially with low pressure for reasonable squish of the tires. Haven't tried em in snow yet but I imagine, I'll hafta use the wrinkle count method for air pressure.
    Doctor recommended...

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    I swapped out the 11-36 with a GX1150 10-42 cassette and GX derailleur. Required an XD driver for compatibility. Also upgraded to an XO 11 speed shifter. Needed that extra high gear sometimes for steeper climbs. Been very happy with the set up. To reference Spinal Tap... Most people's gears only go to 10, mine go to 11.

Also changed the chairing to an Absolute Black oval 28t, boost version. Very easy swap. No problems with shifting or chain line. No problem adjusting from round to oval. Feel like it's improved my climbing as well as traction with climbing.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170521_124234.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	86.8 KB 
ID:	1138346
    Time for a strip of grip tape in lieu of the inner tube chain stay protection... Clear works well since it takes on the color of the frame.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Time for a strip of grip tape in lieu of the inner tube chain stay protection... Clear works well since it takes on the color of the frame.

Ha ha! Yes, good catch, it's an inner tube. I like the idea of clear grip tape, I'll look into it. I know you have an eye for style, I've seen your bikes in this thread. Thanks for the suggestion.... Makin' the Sarge a purty boy

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Keepin Sarge bytchen is job one!!

Griptape tends to last the longest and look very thoughtfully done.

RSD Sergeant thread (Pix are appreciated)-3437.jpg
    Here is one of my bikes with clear griptape on the chain stay. Just a clean durable and lasting method to doing protection on the cheap.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Stock 2016 Sergeant here. Just wondering if anyone has moved the sliders back to lengthen to wheelbase? Is that possible with the stock wheels and tires or will it mess up the chain? This is my first mountain bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by tantrum007 View Post
    Stock 2016 Sergeant here. Just wondering if anyone has moved the sliders back to lengthen to wheelbase? Is that possible with the stock wheels and tires or will it mess up the chain? This is my first mountain bike.
    Very possible. Shouldn't mess anything up at all, just a longer wheelbase

mtbr member
    May 2017
    While I did look into 29+, I found that 27.5 is very nice in terms of keepin it playful while still having the rollover of tall wheels. I do run the 3.8's for the additional floatation although, they are in no way a replacement for real fat. (4.8)
    I use a 30x36-11 with no issues. 3.8 and flip the chainring and away ya go.
    Agree completely, have a 29+, and while it has awesome rollover, for me 27.5x3.8 is the best all round. Currently using Hodag 3.8's and really like the profile on the 50mm rims, more rounded than the stock Chronis and lots of clearance. Have about 80km with them on and they make the Sergeant my favourite bike by far. Am really digging those Crux's Shredmaster has as well!

RSD Sergeant thread (Pix are appreciated)-img_20170512_124945.jpgRSD Sergeant thread (Pix are appreciated)-img_20170512_125034.jpg

Cheers!

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by tantrum007 View Post
    The only change will be front end load increase. Little less playful, perhaps.

Quote Originally Posted by sknyboy View Post
    Agree completely, have a 29+, and while it has awesome rollover, for me 27.5x3.8 is the best all round. Currently using Hodag 3.8's and really like the profile on the 50mm rims, more rounded than the stock Chronis and lots of clearance. Have about 80km with them on and they make the Sergeant my favourite bike by far. Am really digging those Crux's Shredmaster has as well!

Name:	IMG_20170512_124945.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	191.2 KB 
ID:	1139081Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170512_125034.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	181.9 KB 
ID:	1139082

Cheers!
    Those are lookin good! Maxi+ indeed. I've been thinkin bout tryin a pair of Hodags to see if they would fit... Good stuff.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Thanks sknyboy and banshee! Right now, from an armchair perspective, the Sargent is my top choice from a geometry and general use perspective. That said, I wish there was more frame bag space and having killed a couple aluminum frames over the years, I am distrustful of the material (and I would go full custom from Walt rather than ti). Otherwise it is really appealing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    So I got the Sarge on last Friday, looks great, built it up and the last thing I did was put the chain on and run through the gears. Lo and behold the freehub spins both ways. Defective from factory. I emailed Alex Friday night and Saturday morning I heard back from him. He forwarded my message to Sun Ringle, evidently they had a few problems with them and I'm waiting to hear back from them. I was going to pull the freehub off and just see if the pawls are frozen and maybe free them up myself and I can't figure out how to get it apart. different than I've done in the past. On a side note has anyone run 29+ on the Manitou fork that comes with the bike, looks like it might fit? Thanks

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by fotooutdoors View Post
    Thanks sknyboy and banshee! Right now, from an armchair perspective, the Sargent is my top choice from a geometry and general use perspective. That said, I wish there was more frame bag space and having killed a couple aluminum frames over the years, I am distrustful of the material (and I would go full custom from Walt rather than ti). Otherwise it is really appealing.
    I've changed my ways over the years. No longer am I riding with too much starch in my elbows and knees. Sarge will be plenty reliable although a Waltworks project is very attractive, indeed!

So I got the Sarge on last Friday, looks great, built it up and the last thing I did was put the chain on and run through the gears. Lo and behold the freehub spins both ways. Defective from factory. I emailed Alex Friday night and Saturday morning I heard back from him. He forwarded my message to Sun Ringle, evidently they had a few problems with them and I'm waiting to hear back from them. I was going to pull the freehub off and just see if the pawls are frozen and maybe free them up myself and I can't figure out how to get it apart. different than I've done in the past. On a side note has anyone run 29+ on the Manitou fork that comes with the bike, looks like it might fit? Thanks
    Don't think a 29+ will work in the 27.5 fork. Manitou offers an alternate part # for that.
    Alex will usually take very good care of warranty issues. Sorry to hear of the hub issue. Hope you get it sorted quickly.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    What do you do on a family vacation while the kids sleep? Haul your fat ass dad bod up the abandoned ski slope and enjoy heading down. Honestly this is why I wouldn't mind a slacker head angle

Nice day for a ride..... Moderator
    I have not ridden since April (injury) but just wanted to give a shout out to Alex at RSD. My rear hub detonated back in April and damaged the freehub and hub shell. Alex had me hooked up with an entire new rear wheel within a week. Awesome customer service over at RSD and I even bought another RSD bike to ride while I recover because of it, a Catalyst 700+. Hopeful to get back on my Sergeant soon.
    Bikin' Bric's Bike Blog

2012 Norco CCX3
    2014 Nashbar Fat Bike
    2016 RSD Catalyst 700+

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Bric, Alex takes good care of his clientele. How long ya gonna be down with the injury? Sounds like that is coming to a close for ya. Mend quickly!

MinesPunk!! Love the pic of your bike taking the easy way up! Looks like a fun time. Valhalla's calling my bikes! Worth the ticket price for a few good runs.

Triathloner, where's the customary ride report? Lookin forward to hearing of your adventures!

Sarge now has a blue crankset and gave his original to the Wildcat. Now there are 2 b+ RSD's to play with. Both are very fun to ride and play with. Enjoying the hardtail with each ride. The wildcat is amazingly fun with a silky smooth suspension along with nice fat 3.0's to stick to the trail. Sarge
    is still on his tour of duty! Can't get enough of the rides these days. It's been hot lately so late evening and early morning rides are the thing as of
    late.
    Doctor recommended...

Bric, Alex takes good care of his clientele. How long ya gonna be down with the injury? Sounds like that is coming to a close for ya. Mend quickly!
    Hopefully I'm well soon. Had a dislocated shoulder, three fractured vertebrae, and a hyperextended knee.

I live less than two hours from RSD's office and have often thought that next time I pass through the area I should stop in and say thanks with a Timmies gift card.
    Bikin' Bric's Bike Blog

2012 Norco CCX3
    2014 Nashbar Fat Bike
    2016 RSD Catalyst 700+

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Holy smokes!!! Sarge beat your ass like red headed stepchild! Praying that you mend up well so you can go out and play with Sarge sooner than later. That's way heavy for anyone to endure.

Holy smokes!!! Sarge beat your ass like red headed stepchild! Praying that you mend up well so you can go out and play with Sarge sooner than later. That's way heavy for anyone to endure.
    Hahaha. The accident was unrelated to the Sarge. Thanks for the positive vibes.
    Bikin' Bric's Bike Blog

2012 Norco CCX3
    2014 Nashbar Fat Bike
    2016 RSD Catalyst 700+

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Well, I didn't give a ride report because it's kind of the same as my Norco Torrent. My wife really liked the torrent and wanted it to become her bike. I really almost just bought another torrent, but I really like the sliding drops of the Sarge, which puts this bike over the top. I really like the bike and have upgraded the pedals, grips, and hoping to upgrade the Chronicles as they are not my favorite tire. But the bike rips, I ride in pretty hilly area so I am going to upgrade the cassette to one with a little bigger tooth count for the hills. I was unsure of the Manitou fork as Ive never had one, but I really like it. I am planning on building another wheel set for some 3.8's for a little winter riding. Now I kind of want a wilcat too ;-)

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quick question for everyone...what dropper posts are you running on the Sarge? My Crank Brothers dropper from 2009 finally shit the sheets so now I need a replacement. Would prefer to stay with external routing and something affordable since I still need some other upgrades. Thanks for the help.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Quick question for everyone...what dropper posts are you running on the Sarge? My Crank Brothers dropper from 2009 finally shit the sheets so now I need a replacement. Would prefer to stay with external routing and something affordable since I still need some other upgrades. Thanks for the help.
    Unfortuantely, I'm on the fence when it comes to droppers. Need to find one with absolutely no play in it. I'll check in with a few peeps I ride with to see what they are using and what they think of em.

Hmm, I might have an old hite rite spring that is hella lighter...
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Unfortuantely, I'm on the fence when it comes to droppers. Need to find one with absolutely no play in it. I'll check in with a few peeps I ride with to see what they are using and what they think of em.

Hmm, I might have an old hite rite spring that is hella lighter...
    Appreciate it. Leaning towards a Fox Transfer. More concerned with bulletproof reliability than anything else

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Appreciate it. Leaning towards a Fox Transfer. More concerned with bulletproof reliability than anything else

Slop free and reliable is job one when it comes to Sarge. Also thinking about weight to a lesser degree as well as how much I will use it. I generally have my seat down from the roadie position 99.99% of the time cause play is a full time requirement.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member

Recent mods and pics...

A few recent pics. I liked the Enve downhill bars so much I adopted an Enve shorty stem. Next to go is the dropper post. I don't feel I need it anymore and an Enve post is only 210 grams.

..New fork is on the way from Blacksheep bikes. I don't feel the need for any suspension anymore now that I'm 29 mid-fat. I will take a pic after it arrives and after installation.

Next in line will be custom wheelset...maybe next spring.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RSD Sergeant thread (Pix are appreciated)-bike-4.jpg  

RSD Sergeant thread (Pix are appreciated)-bike-1-b.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images   

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Check out 9point8.ca. I've been running their fall line and it's worlds better than every other post I've used (KS, Reverb, Thomson, etc.). Great customer service and you can even fine tune your drop height.

Looking for a large Sergeant if anyone knows of one that needs a good home... seems like it's either AL or ti on the website. Any stainless steel rigs out there?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Skrool View Post
    ...I liked the Enve downhill bars so much I adopted an Enve shorty stem. Next to go is the dropper post. I don't feel I need it anymore and an Enve post is only 210 grams.

..New fork is on the way from Blacksheep bikes. I don't feel the need for any suspension anymore now that I'm 29 mid-fat. I will take a pic after it arrives and after installation.
    I think I saw your fork when I was at Blacksheep's shop the other day picking up some bars. James is a stand-up guy and I was really impressed with the work he was doing in there.

I'm honestly more surprised that you are considering dropping the dropper than I am that you'd switching to a rigid truss fork. After riding with a dropper for a while now, I keep wishing I had it on every one of my other bikes, including my commuter.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by phidauex View Post
    I think I saw your fork when I was at Blacksheep's shop the other day picking up some bars. James is a stand-up guy and I was really impressed with the work he was doing in there.

I'm honestly more surprised that you are considering dropping the dropper than I am that you'd switching to a rigid truss fork. After riding with a dropper for a while now, I keep wishing I had it on every one of my other bikes, including my commuter.

Hey Brother! That's cool you saw my fork at James shop! ...I'm jazzed for it to get here, been waiting for almost 2 months but it's done now. It would have been done sooner but I had to have James hold off on the specs so that I could finalize the numbers. ...I told James I'll be coming out there to seem him at his shop before I have him get started on a custom frame for me, but for now, the new Faith fork is going to be super sweet on the Sergeant!

Regarding the dropper : I really don't find that I need it very much. The way I ride the 29plus is very different than the way I ride any other bike. The increased roll-over of the 29plus setup grants so much stability up front that I don't seem to have to worry much about tucking my ass down as low as I seem to have to do on my other bikes. ...Sure I could use it more, like I used to when I first got it, but lately I just seem to enjoy riding the bike without having to touch anything. If I could actually get away with it, I try single speed setup, but I just know that it wouldn't end up being adequate for the trails and distance I tend to ride. Sooo----off it comes me thinks. Another pound of savings added to the 2.7 pound savings from the Faith fork.

I usually run 8 psi front and rear now on the trail, which grants me the exact amount of 'cush' that I desire, but with no more of the 'slop' and 'flex' of suspension. ...The 29plus has become the dream ride I have always wanted. ...No more bullshit with suspension maintenance and no more squirrely flex. All gone. ...The Sergeant geometry is incredibly matched to my exact body and style of riding. Truly, a great design and very good looking.

I find that the light wieght of my current setup makes a great deal of difference in how quickly I can ride uphill on technical singletrack...which is my favorite type of riding.

Next in line will be a quiet rear hub. ...I'm sick of the noise of today's hubs. Onyx now makes an alloy rear freehub-body that drops 80 grams from their othewise unacceptably heavy sprag clutch [silent] rear hubs, so I may go with an Onyx hub. ...Otherwise, I'll have to try to find something else that is quiet. ..Everyone always seems to be adamant on 'points of engagement', but for me, even my older shimano hubs from 20 years ago [which are nearly silent] seem to have ample engagement to suit my [actual] needs on the trail...and they roll noticeably better than any of the wheels I have with high-points-of-engagement.

If anyone has any input [from direct experience] on quiet boost hubs, by all means let me know. Much appreciated.

Faith fork from Blacksheep should be here today!

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Onyx hubs on order. Performance is job one. Weight is not changing with the wheel build coming to the Wildcat.
    Sarge a Wildcat and a Mayor... Doesn't get better than that...Cause 3 RSD's are better than one!!
    Back in the 90's there was a silent hub on the market. I'll look into it and see if they are still in mint.

On fatbike dot com there is a review of the Sergeant. On the climbing comments, I wholly disagree. After riding Sarge for more than a year and finding that climbs are simply amazing I think the test pilot is outta shape or inexperienced with off-road riding.

Good to see a post or 3 from ya Skrool...
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Hi...itís been a while, still rocking the Sarge, did a couple of upgrades, firstly I had installed my purple Hope V4's, went for one ride and decided that I didn't need that much brake on the Sarge so the bb7s went back on and I sold the Hopes. Used the funds to upgrade the pedals to Oneup aluminum flats, install an oval 34 tooth Oneup ring and got a set of Deity blacklabel bars with grips. The green parts went back onto the Mayor they were borrowed from and the new parts are grey, which I think looks quite sharp on the Sarge... a couple of pics...RSD Sergeant thread (Pix are appreciated)-p4pb15107535.jpg
    RSD Sergeant thread (Pix are appreciated)-p4pb15107534.jpg

mtbr member
    Onyx hubs on order. Performance is job one. Weight is not changing with the wheel build coming to the Wildcat.
    Sarge a Wildcat and a Mayor... Doesn't get better than that...Cause 3 RSD's are better than one!!
    Back in the 90's there was a silent hub on the market. I'll look into it and see if they are still in mint.

On fatbike dot com there is a review of the Sergeant. On the climbing comments, I wholly disagree. After riding Sarge for more than a year and finding that climbs are simply amazing I think the test pilot is outta shape or inexperienced with off-road riding.

Good to see a post or 3 from ya Skrool...

Might end up going with the silent Onyx. ...Just wish the hub wasn't literally over 1/2 a pound heavier than any other decent hub out there. From what I've heard though, they're bomb-proof and super fast rolling. With the XD alloy freehub body option you save about 45 grams, which brings it down a bit. Weight it weight and my favorite part of the ride is the climb...so it's a matter of utility and function for me. Half pound here, 1/4 pound there....it all adds up...and quick.

Read the Article you pointed out Brother, thanks : Great write up, minus the inaccurate comment on its climbing prowess.

Good to see so many people riding the Sergeant!

Mine is 'thee' most capable, fun bike I've ever owned.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Skrool, the Wildcat's knocking on Sarge's door! For the times when full squish is desirable, the Cat's awesome. Essentially, a full squish Sarge.
    Sarge has his bitchen wheels and now for the Cat to get his bitchen wheels...

Sarge has had a wonderful trip to Arizona back in January. The trail system right out the front door of Mom n Pop's place is a +bike habitat of epic proportion.
    Sarge and the Mayor had daily rides that were just awesome to experience.

RSD Sergeant thread (Pix are appreciated)-img_0766.jpg

RSD Sergeant thread (Pix are appreciated)-img_0713.jpg

Sarge has since had his brakes upgraded to Hope E3's in "New Black" (read orange)

Hey, how's that van project coming along?
    Doctor recommended...

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Running a 36-11 Sram XG1099 with a short cage X2 rear derailleur has been very nice to keep Sarge's junk outta the dirt and debris. Range of gears is spot on with living in the high country.
    Hope E3's are amazing since braking is effortless and as I always say, if the brakes don't throw ya through the windshield, they don't work. The X2 Race brakes are now on the Wildcat and perform very well with 180mm rotors on both ends.
    Brake performance was improved significantly after taking all three of the RSD's into surgery to face the brake bosses. Best tool investment ever.
    The other aspect is truing rotors to eliminate runout and permit the brakes to properly self adjust. No mushy lever and positive feel at any speed as well as on the backcountry speed runs.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    My headset keeps coming loose, so was tightening it up a little before each ride till I had the thought it might be the star-nut working its way out. After taking the top-cap off, sure enough it was almost to the top.
    Easy enough to tap back in but should I be looking at a better solution to this problem.
    Has anyone else had a problem with this star-nut.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Stem isn't tight enough on the steer.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I had same problem. Torque was spot on with the stem bolts. It ended up being that the steerer was cut a couple mm too long. Ground off a few mm and it has stayed put ever since.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Windigo View Post
    My headset keeps coming loose, so was tightening it up a little before each ride till I had the thought it might be the star-nut working its way out. After taking the top-cap off, sure enough it was almost to the top.
    Easy enough to tap back in but should I be looking at a better solution to this problem.
    Has anyone else had a problem with this star-nut.
    Pretty sure I have the same thing going on. Medical issues have kept me off the bike for 9 weeks but I think my slipped disc is finally stable enough to get back on Sarge. Will check the star nut tonight

mtbr member

New Faith Fork......

Well here it is all mounted up. Fantastic riding fork. Exceptional build quality. Got two long rides on it thus far, and seem to favor 7psi front and rear with this fork. No more brake-induced flex up front. Bike is like a scalpel. Dropped two pounds as well.

I guestimated the specs for the geometry based on my own style of riding and it seems I nailed it for my needs....got lucky I guess. Alex was helpful in helping me to decide on the specs. Fork build specs : 510mm axle to crown / 52mm offset.

RSD Sergeant thread (Pix are appreciated)-faith-fork-1a.jpg

Will take better pics next time I'm out in the mountains...

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Skrool, lookin good! glad the fork is everything you hoped it would be.

In the next couple weeks a pair of hand built wheels are coming to the Wildcat. Onyx hubs on order along with a fresh pair of Scraper rims to be prepped and mirror polished for that ever so fun hotrod appearance. Can't wait to sit down and lace em up! Something I love is the puzzle like process of lacing wheels. Green hubs with silver spokes and green spoke nipples to go with the green mountain eater.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Starnut was no good, it was slipping even as I tightened the headset.
    Put a bigger spacer on-top and it came out with no effort. Bottom portion of the starnut was bent over on one side but strait on the other, so assume that was the problem.
    Going to look for a Fork expander\compression plug to replace it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Skrool, look into Project 321, they have some slick silent hubs...

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Designated Bleeder
    Hey RSD enthusiasts. I have been thinking about pulling the trigger on a new 2017 RSD Sergeant but I was hoping this group could help me with a few of my concerns. I love the spec of the 2017 but I am a bit concerned about the geometry the head angle is very slack for a hardtail at 66.5 degrees. Has anyone had issues with this when climbing. I have had some very slack bikes before and found that while they descend great, they tend to wallow on climbs with the front end wandering quite a bit. Is that true on the 2017 Sergeant?

I was also wondering what the 2017 weighs? I'm thinking with dropper post set up tubeless. Does anyone have any numbers?

Just wondering before I make the jump in to Sergeant-land.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialK View Post
    Hey RSD enthusiasts. I have been thinking about pulling the trigger on a new 2017 RSD Sergeant but I was hoping this group could help me with a few of my concerns. I love the spec of the 2017 but I am a bit concerned about the geometry the head angle is very slack for a hardtail at 66.5 degrees. Has anyone had issues with this when climbing. I have had some very slack bikes before and found that while they descend great, they tend to wallow on climbs with the front end wandering quite a bit. Is that true on the 2017 Sergeant?

I was also wondering what the 2017 weighs? I'm thinking with dropper post set up tubeless. Does anyone have any numbers?

I have a 2016 with the steeper head tube. Given that it is a hard tail I would rather have the slacker head angle. If it's 66 degrees before you sit on it it will be roughly 68 degrees when it is compressed with your weight by 20% travel

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialK View Post

I'll say it like I always do... Sarge climbs like he's on level ground. Ascents feel far less daunting than any other bike I've tried in the
    + arena. Now that I have a Wildcat as well, Sarge still gets out just as much cause the HT is just as fun to play with as the full squish.
    I have no regrets on either of em.

There was a review on fat-bike dot com that was way off the mark in terms of the Sergeant's ability to ascend with authority. I also find this skinny tire bikes are in the way on the majority of my rides. The fatness of 3.0's makes everything awesome cause the tires feel so damn good. The geometry of the frame is more than just another commuter with oversized tires. It's an outright excellent performer that I can piss off roadies with or hit the dirt and raise hell with. The only improvement to Sarge would be a fully custom frame that I do the CAD drawing of and hand off to John Hargedon for fabrication, period.

Send Alex a message and he'll take very good care of ya. Warranty is excellent with RSD. So relax, make it happen and in a few days FedUp will bring a box with a bike stuffed inside! Shipping is included in the purchase price. No surprise additional fees... Doesn't get better than that now, does it?
    Doctor recommended...

Designated Bleeder
    I have a 2016 with the steeper head tube. Given that it is a hard tail I would rather have the slacker head angle. If it's 66 degrees before you sit on it it will be roughly 68 degrees when it is compressed with your weight by 20% travel

Good point on slack angle of a hardtail. I've been looking around and a number of hardtail dare going as slack as 65 degrees. Wow

Designated Bleeder
    Anyone have a weight on their 2017 Sergeant? Just curious more than anything.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Mine was just a hair over 29lbs. A little less after I went tubeless but I didn't weigh it after that. Love the bike, spent 3 hours on it yesterday.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Mine was just a hair over 29lbs. A little less after I went tubeless but I didn't weigh it after that. Love the bike, spent 3 hours on it yesterday.
    Sarge had the opportunity to go to Jenny Craig and lose a bit of weight. He's 27 #'s and as fun as it gets.
    When I ordered the Wildcat, Alex said Sarge might not get out much. That has not been the case. Sarge is too fun to pass up.
    Three RSD's trump one!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    My rigid Sergeant build is a trail slayer

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    The sergeant is that way. Rigid, squish in the front as long as the axle/crown length is right, they keek arse!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Anyone put 29ers on this? Thoughts?

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dunlop01 View Post
    Anyone put 29ers on this? Thoughts?

Skrool is running his Ti Sergeant with 29+
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Diff geo on that tho , right? I just keep denting my rear rim w the B+ run at mid pressure

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Very slight difference in geo.
    Doctor recommended...

WNC Native
    Quote Originally Posted by sknyboy View Post
    Currently using Hodag 3.8's and really like the profile on the 50mm rims, more rounded than the stock Chronis and lots of clearance.

Name:	IMG_20170512_124945.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	191.2 KB 
ID:	1139081Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170512_125034.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	181.9 KB 
ID:	1139082

Cheers!
    Any chance of pics of the fork clearance with the Hodag on 50?
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    I would be more worried about rubbing in the rear.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Windigo View Post
    I would be more worried about rubbing in the rear.
    I don't, since it works very well. The Maxxis FBF/FBR are narrow compared to most others. The Hodag is a good fit as well.
    Sarge has excellent clearance for such endeavors as running 3.8's.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    So post a picture of your bike with 3.8's

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Show me yours!! lol

RSD Sergeant thread (Pix are appreciated)-img_0490.jpg

Here is a shot of the FBF in the front end. As you can see, there is loads of clearance and just as much in the rear.
    If I let all the air out of em, they might flop about enough to rub.
    Yes, the slider dropout is slammed all the way back.

Rail trails with 8r, 6f and they are awesome.

Now I wanna get a pair of Hodags to give a go and see which I like better. I've ridden em on 80's and think they might be amazing on 50's.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    I said the rear of the bike, I have already stated on this forum that it fits well in the fork.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    The rear is the same as the fork in terms of clearance. (within 2mm) I cannot find the image of the rear so the next time I do the marathon tire change over I'll take another pic. Tubeless is a pita for tire changes, indeed. Might simplify by going back to 26x2.7 SL tubes to make tire changes a 5 minute ordeal instead of a production.

My pair of FBF's are pre production demo tires with a plain wrap label. Had the opportunity to ride em last summer and through winter.
    They work purdy well at low pressure in the snow but are in no way a replacement for the Mayor's 4.8's.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    3.8's rubbed the paint off down to the aluminum on my chainstays so I would not recommend having them on for long, or you will start cutting into the aluminum.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrousjunky View Post
    Any chance of pics of the fork clearance with the Hodag on 50?
    Hi nitrous,

No pics right now as I have the Maxis' back on for the dry conditions. Hodags clear front and rear no problem, just run the rear sliders back. Might be an issue if you are going single speed and need to move the rear wheel forward to adjust the chain. Love the 3.8's when the trails tack up. Only problem I found was getting a pair at a decent price in Canada.

Cheers.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Anyone running a dropper on the 2016 Size Large? Not sure if I should go 125mm or 150mm. Traveling this week and away from the bike, shop near my hotel is doing a one day sale and offering Fox Transfer for $225. Recommendations are appreciated

K3N
    Certified slacker
    Anyone have their Sarge set up single speed?

I really like the possibility of some Bfat tires for winter time here in the PNW and perhaps some 29s set up SS for summer.
    My other bike is a bike

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    I know there are a few peeps that have done the SS thing with their Sergeant. Where I live and ride is mountainous and I'm liking the gears to keep on pedaling.

With the slider dropouts, SS is very viable.

And BfAt, can't beat it. I'm not subscribed to the 2.6 movement cause I bought a +bike and wanna keep it + with 3.0's.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Mine is B+ and single. Think this pic is 2.8 Rangers bit ive since switched to an ikon/rekon setup.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Fuzzy, that Sergeant is looking good!
    I've considered SS on mine but am reserved cause everything is an incline here.

In other news...
    I bought a pair of 45Nrth Wrathchild 3.0's thinking they would be a very nice tire with the ability to be studded for winter. The stud pockets are very nice and there are loads of em. The tire is reasonably light and rolls exceptionally well. Tread compound is sticky enough to offer nice traction.
    The end result of size and volume... I'd class em as somewhere between 2.6 and 2.8. This has me wondering if they were made by Maxxis for 45Nrth!.
    Are they a good tire, yes, indeed. Ride quality is good. They do require 2-3 psi more than my Schwalbe's. They did feel a lil soft at 12 psi but performed very well and didn't feel slow or sluggish. They just roll along nicely.

I do have great appreciation for the fatness of my Schwalbe Rocket Ron and Nobby Nic 3.0 tires. The volume of a 3.0 is awesome and the reason I went + in the first place.
    Doctor recommended...

Your bike is incorrigible
    Anyone riding a 2017 XXL? I'm 6'1.5" with the 2017 XL, and I think it might be a little on the short side for me. My saddle is all the way back on the rails. I have a 50mm stem, and I've ordered a 60mm to see if that helps.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Fuzzy, that Sergeant is looking good!
    I've considered SS on mine but am reserved cause everything is an incline here.

In other news...
    I bought a pair of 45Nrth Wrathchild 3.0's thinking they would be a very nice tire with the ability to be studded for winter. The stud pockets are very nice and there are loads of em. The tire is reasonably light and rolls exceptionally well. Tread compound is sticky enough to offer nice traction.
    The end result of size and volume... I'd class em as somewhere between 2.6 and 2.8. This has me wondering if they were made by Maxxis for 45Nrth!.
    Are they a good tire, yes, indeed. Ride quality is good. They do require 2-3 psi more than my Schwalbe's. They did feel a lil soft at 12 psi but performed very well and didn't feel slow or sluggish. They just roll along nicely.

I do have great appreciation for the fatness of my Schwalbe Rocket Ron and Nobby Nic 3.0 tires. The volume of a 3.0 is awesome and the reason I went + in the first place.
    I average 13 miles and 2k ft of vertical per ride. The SS works great for that. If i was in the 3-4k range and 20+ id probably want the gears.

Here in LA most of the climbs are long fire roads or double track, nothing too technical on the way up. Rarely will you find 2way traffic in the santa monicas as the fun downhills are unrideable in the opposite direction. Grind up fly down loops mostly.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    And thanks! The bike ****in rocks!

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by K3N View Post
    Anyone have their Sarge set up single speed?

I really like the possibility of some Bfat tires for winter time here in the PNW and perhaps some 29s set up SS for summer.

Using a 17t rear cog with the stock tires, works great for the trails here!

Cheers.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Guyechka View Post
    Anyone riding a 2017 XXL? I'm 6'1.5" with the 2017 XL, and I think it might be a little on the short side for me. My saddle is all the way back on the rails. I have a 50mm stem, and I've ordered a 60mm to see if that helps.
    You must have a real long torso. I'm the same height and ride a 2016 L Sergeant. If you arms are the issue get the longer stem and go for the widest bars you can tolerate

I have a 33" pants inseam, so I do have a longish torso. The thing is, I've been riding an XL Niner Ros 9 for the last couple of seasons. Niner says the XL is for people 6'3" and taller. I'm perfectly comfortable on it. I keep taking measurements to compare the two, and it seems like they are close, but I still feel like I'm hovering over the front end. I use an 800mm handlebar with a 50mm stem now, but I'm going to try a 60mm stem. Any longer, and I think I really ought to be looking at switching to the XXL frame.

You must have a real long torso. I'm the same height and ride a 2016 L Sergeant. If you arms are the issue get the longer stem and go for the widest bars you can tolerate

double post

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Guyechka View Post
    I have a 33" pants inseam, so I do have a longish torso. The thing is, I've been riding an XL Niner Ros 9 for the last couple of seasons. Niner says the XL is for people 6'3" and taller. I'm perfectly comfortable on it. I keep taking measurements to compare the two, and it seems like they are close, but I still feel like I'm hovering over the front end. I use an 800mm handlebar with a 50mm stem now, but I'm going to try a 60mm stem. Any longer, and I think I really ought to be looking at switching to the XXL frame.
    Wow, you and I have very similar sizes, my inseam is 34.5" so not significantly longer than yours. I guess we all just feel different levels of comfort. I also have a very stiff body and back so too much stretch for me is very painful, probably why I'm comfortable on the L size

Wow, you and I have very similar sizes, my inseam is 34.5" so not significantly longer than yours. I guess we all just feel different levels of comfort. I also have a very stiff body and back so too much stretch for me is very painful, probably why I'm comfortable on the L size

And I've broken my back twice, so go figure! I did order over the phone and talked with Alex about it. He actually said that, since I like to be stretched out, he would recommend the XL. He was very nice, and I didn't have the heart to tell him it wasn't a question of L or XL but a question of XL or XXL. I'll give the new stem a shot. I'm really hoping they have a blow out of 2017 frames like they did with last year's frame. If they do, then I can experiment relatively cheaply.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dunlop01 View Post
    I average 13 miles and 2k ft of vertical per ride. The SS works great for that. If i was in the 3-4k range and 20+ id probably want the gears.

Here in LA most of the climbs are long fire roads or double track, nothing too technical on the way up. Rarely will you find 2way traffic in the santa monicas as the fun downhills are unrideable in the opposite direction. Grind up fly down loops mostly.

Rocky Mountains here. 3-5k elevation gains are plentiful. I grew up out there in LA. Rode Reseda to the Sea several times a week. La Tuna Canyon was another epic make a turn to change it up place as well. Now that there's a Wildcat in the collective, Sarge is finding out that his job is every bit secure!

When StokliBoy has the SS only party at the Castle (His property on a mountainside) Sarge will hafta surrender the gears for the day! Any excuse to party and ride bikes on private reserve singletrack is worth pissing Sarge off!

Guyechka, I can pass a hooter across the room without leaving the recliner! I would love another custom frame involving the top tube/down tube for a large combined with an 18" seat tube and I call it a size "Marge".
    DO play with stem length to give a lil more stretch room...
    Doctor recommended...

K3N
    Certified slacker
    Nice. This bike is excactly what I been lookin for. This thread has sold me on it! Too bad I gotta save a few more bucks before I get to join the club.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by K3N View Post
    Nice. This bike is excactly what I been lookin for. This thread has sold me on it! Too bad I gotta save a few more bucks before I get to join the club.
    Hafta say, when you do get a sergeant between your legs, you're in for a very pleasant surprise at how well mannered they are on trails and just about everywhere. Climbing seems like it's far less daunting than with other bikes. Playful, can you say playful? Cause Sarge is very playful, indeed. Confidence inspiring in so many ways. And the price point is very good.
    When I had the opportunity to snatch Sarge, I wasn't quite ready to buy a bike but that week long test ride threw that right out the window.

It was like the old public service announcements...
    "First hit's free" and "Wanna fly, kid, ya gotta buy, kid"

Go figure! And Sarge is very good at shopping for bitchen bike stuff cause he knows I'ma sucker for a damn great bike!
    Unfortunately, he's informed the Wildcat on how to get bitchen bike parts too. :/ Wheel project on tap!
    Green Onyx hubs in hand, stainless spokes in hand, Scraper i45's in hand. Prep rims for mirror polish and lace em up! Yay!
    Wildcat's gonna look fvckin bitchen and ride even bettuh! Hmmm, silence while coasting is golden, or sampan like that.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Wondering what a 2017 Raw Alu Sarge weighs approximately?

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by chelboed View Post
    Wondering what a 2017 Raw Alu Sarge weighs approximately?
    The unit of measure for the differences is milligrams. Talk Ti and there is a viable difference.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    The unit of measure for the differences is milligrams. Talk Ti and there is a viable difference.
    The difference between ?

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Painted vs. raw aluminum frame weight.
    Doctor recommended...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast