Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    mtbr member
    Unfortunately the slide outs need to be slammed all the way back for no chain or chainstay rub, and that is at real world riding psi at 12 in the rear. I might drop another psi or so once getting it dialed but rub will still be an issue if the sliders aren't back all the way. The knobs are definitely a few mm wider than the casing and the tire is also very tall with the treads. I also need to add another link or two to the chain, as I can no longer get into the 42t gear. I'll get them in the dirt tomorrow for a real ride report and/if any issues. Sarge is definitely looking a bit meaner, and more of what my idea of a plus bike should look like now.

RSD Sergeant thread (Pix are appreciated)-img_4966.jpg

RSD Sergeant thread (Pix are appreciated)-img_4964.jpg

RSD Sergeant thread (Pix are appreciated)-img_4963.jpg

RSD Sergeant thread (Pix are appreciated)-img_4959.jpg

RSD Sergeant thread (Pix are appreciated)-img_4958.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I just plunked down my money on a 2016. I am currently running a Norco torrent 7.2, love it but so does my wife. She told me I could upgrade and she wants the torrent. I was looking at full suspension, higher dollar hardtails, etc. With the discounted price I kept coming back to the Sarge, I can afford to add a dropper, another set of wheels with 3.8's, whatever I want. I hope i like it as much as all you guys do. Looks like I'll be selling my fatbike now.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by triathloner View Post
    I just plunked down my money on a 2016. I am currently running a Norco torrent 7.2, love it but so does my wife. She told me I could upgrade and she wants the torrent. I was looking at full suspension, higher dollar hardtails, etc. With the discounted price I kept coming back to the Sarge, I can afford to add a dropper, another set of wheels with 3.8's, whatever I want. I hope i like it as much as all you guys do. Looks like I'll be selling my fatbike now.
    Infidel!! No need to sell the fatty just cause ya got a Sarge of your very own...
    I have both Sarge and the Mayor and love em both cause they outperform everything else in the price range. Doll up Momma's bike and get your RSD out and have a great day of riding with the Mrs... And do keep the fat cause it's definitely awesome riding fat from time to time as well.
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I'm starting to think about a plus bike, and the claims that Sargent can run a 27.5 x 3.8 or 29+ tire are very enticing for a long distance fat bike (my legs don't do well with a 100mm bottom bracket). Anyone done that? What was the frame clearance? Does it require a truncated cassette? Thanks!

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Shred, those are looking as fat as my minion FBF's which are labeled 3.8. We all know that Maxxis overstates sizes regularly tho.
    With the FBF's I run 6-7 front and 8-9 rear and they are da bomb! Heavy as hell but surprisingly, they roll very well.
    Crux is looking good on your bike. Might hafta source a pair of em.

Sarge got hold of my card and went berserk ordering brakes for himself and the Mayor. Guess he didn't wanna go down solo!
    Doctor recommended...

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by fotooutdoors View Post
    I'm starting to think about a plus bike, and the claims that Sargent can run a 27.5 x 3.8 or 29+ tire are very enticing for a long distance fat bike (my legs don't do well with a 100mm bottom bracket). Anyone done that? What was the frame clearance? Does it require a truncated cassette? Thanks!
    While I did look into 29+, I found that 27.5 is very nice in terms of keepin it playful while still having the rollover of tall wheels. I do run the 3.8's for the additional floatation although, they are in no way a replacement for real fat. (4.8)
    I use a 30x36-11 with no issues. 3.8 and flip the chainring and away ya go.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by JScoot View Post
    Hi I've been looking at the sergeant and comparing it to a steel jamis dragonslayer. Obviously I like how much lighter the sergeant is on paper, but I wonder about the old aluminum vs. steel conundrum. I'm in my 40's and been riding full suspension, do you sergeant riders find that the fat tire smooths out the rear of the bike so that the ride is not too harsh? Or do you still get bounced around like with other hardtails? Any feedback will be helpful, thanks.
    Yes, you'll still get bounced. The plus tire won't replace a rear suspension. The plus tire will help to absorb some small roots and trail chatter. But when it comes to larger roots or baby head rock gardens you'll need to raise off the seat or get "bounced".
    The biggest benefit I've found with the plus tire size is the added stability and traction with turns and climbing. Also the rollover ability, it doesn't get hung up as much on obstacles like those skinny little 2.25 tires.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Thanks for the replies. When I'm looking at the 2016 build kit, it has the 11-36 cassette with a 30 tooth chainring. How does that feel on tech uphills? Has anyone swapped out the cassette for 11-40+? Will the stock derailleur allow for a bigger granny gear? Thx.
    I swapped out the 11-36 with a GX1150 10-42 cassette and GX derailleur. Required an XD driver for compatibility. Also upgraded to an XO 11 speed shifter. Needed that extra high gear sometimes for steeper climbs. Been very happy with the set up. To reference Spinal Tap... Most people's gears only go to 10, mine go to 11.

Also changed the chairing to an Absolute Black oval 28t, boost version. Very easy swap. No problems with shifting or chain line. No problem adjusting from round to oval. Feel like it's improved my climbing as well as traction with climbing.

RSD Sergeant thread (Pix are appreciated)-img_20170521_124234.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Hi I've been looking at the sergeant and comparing it to a steel jamis dragonslayer. Obviously I like how much lighter the sergeant is on paper, but I wonder about the old aluminum vs. steel conundrum. I'm in my 40's and been riding full suspension, do you sergeant riders find that the fat tire smooths out the rear of the bike so that the ride is not too harsh? Or do you still get bounced around like with other hardtails? Any feedback will be helpful, thanks.
    You'll still get bounced on a hardtail. The plus tires won't replace a rear shock. It will help absorb some small roots and trail chatter. But when it comes to large roots or baby head rock gardens, you'll still need to raise off the seat or get "bounced".

The biggest benefit that I've found to plus tires is the added stability and traction in turns and climbs. Also it's rollover ability, keeps better momentum, doesn't get hung up on obstacles as much as those skinny little 2.25 tires.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    I've just registered to share my custom built Sergeant. I discovered the RSD brand and the Sergeant with this thread while searching for a frame to build my first mountain bike. Did my first ride today and I have to say, it was awesome! Need to fine tune some stuff, but overall, this will be the closest I'll get to own a monster truck!

Ps: it's like 99% finished on this pic.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RSD Sergeant thread (Pix are appreciated)-bike-sergeant-2017.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Houblon mixte View Post
    I've just registered to share my custom built Sergeant. I discovered the RSD brand and the Sergeant with this thread while searching for a frame to build my first mountain bike. Did my first ride today and I have to say, it was awesome! Need to fine tune some stuff, but overall, this will be the closest I'll get to own a monster truck!

Ps: it's like 99% finished on this pic.
    Welcome to the Platoon mixte... bike looks good.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Went tubeless about a week ago, definitely can tell a difference. Like a new pair of sneakers.... I can run faster and jump higher! Used my already seasoned Rocket Ron Lite skins with about 3oz of Orange seal. No leaks or seeping. While I was at it, I changed the black rim strip with some bling. Now the Sarge is prancing around the trails like some kind of show pony.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by makpak42 View Post
    Went tubeless about a week ago, definitely can tell a difference. Like a new pair of sneakers.... I can run faster and jump higher! Used my already seasoned Rocket Ron Lite skins with about 3oz of Orange seal. No leaks or seeping. While I was at it, I changed the black rim strip with some bling. Now the Sarge is prancing around the trails like some kind of show pony.

Love it! What did you do for a rim strip? I'm looking for a green rim strip similar to my green Race Face Chester pedals

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MinesPunk View Post
    Love it! What did you do for a rim strip? I'm looking for a green rim strip similar to my green Race Face Chester pedals

☝🏻What Punk said... what did you use for a rim strip? I've been wanting to do this as well, but I know getting the width of the strip just right makes a big difference tubeless setup with the mulefuts.

mtbr member

Hard to beat the package Rocket Ron offers. Supple, voluminous, light weight, plenty of traction for the skilled rider in almost all conditions.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by MinesPunk View Post

Thanks. I ordered the "Bling Strips" from fattystripper.com. (don't put a space between fatty and stripper, brings up search results you don't want to see, trust me ). When ordering, provide wheelset model and size so he can cut them to size. It's essentially a reflective strip made by 3M.
    Also used Sun Ringle rim tape, tubeless valves and Orange Seal ordered from Tree Fort Bikes.
    Watched a couple "how to" videos and got to it.

It was difficult to get the Bling strip to lay flush to the rim. So I put the original black rim strip over the top to hold the Bling strip flush and in place. When I did that, because the black strip is so tight, it created a fold/ripple in the Bling strip. I used 2 plastic tire levers. I put them under the black rim strip and across the rim, like a bridge, about 6-7 inched apart. That created some space. So by sliding the levers along the rim I was able to manually work the ripple out and center the Bling strip in the rim along the way. The black rim strip held the Bling strip nice and snug to the rim. I also lined up the original valve hole in the black strip to the rim but you probably don't have to.
    I overlapped the Bling strip ends over the rim valve stem hole. Careful you don't have have a bling strip end showing in a rim hole.

Reapplied the rim tape, pulling it tight and worked it in. The rest was pretty easy.
    Probably had both wheels done in a little over an hour. Of course the second wheel went quicker than the first one.

As far as durability for the Bling strip, I don't know. Seems good but time will tell.

I know its more info than you asked for. Just wanted to express my experience with it, if it may help anyone. And fyi, I like bourbon

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Thanks! What 3.8 tire do you run? I realize that they aren't a drop in replacement for a 4.8 (or 2xl), but 3.8s have their place. Honestly, I stayed on a 3.8 this winter because I was lazy and didn't switch my rear tire.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BansheeRune View Post
    Shred, those are looking as fat as my minion FBF's which are labeled 3.8. We all know that Maxxis overstates sizes regularly tho.
    With the FBF's I run 6-7 front and 8-9 rear and they are da bomb! Heavy as hell but surprisingly, they roll very well.
    Crux is looking good on your bike. Might hafta source a pair of em.

Sarge got hold of my card and went berserk ordering brakes for himself and the Mayor. Guess he didn't wanna go down solo!
    Thanks BR... I'm really, really digging the new tires. Having some minor issues with leaking sealant from the beads but the tires are very impressive, and I am equally impressed by the added volume, grip, and rolling speed. Really like the bite of the side knobs too, I'm able to tilt Sarge a bit more sideways into the turns without drifting much. They'll start to slip a bit when pushed real hard, but the outer side knobs bites in and holds a nice solid edge, and let's you hold your line instead of adjusting speed or your original line. I definitely recommend them. Amazing float/volume, much more traction and bite in the turns than the RR, roll real fast like the RR, not terribly heavy ~1075grams, and they are very supple. Also priced very well, tires came to $55 per tire shipped from Italy. Sarge is loving his new rubber 👌🏻👍🏻. How are the hopes working for you? They look mint, I'm sure the performance is primo too.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Sarge is enjoying the "New Black" brakes. The nice thing is just a light tug on the lever yields results. If the brakes don't throw ya through the widshield, they don't work...

On to those Crux's, sounds like a fantastic find on those! The tread pattern appears to have a fast rolling center with an aggressive edge. Pfft! Now I might hafta order up a pair of em. :/

My RR's are the liteskin version to keep Sarge svelte. Started running em tubeless a few months ago when a friend recommended Orange Seal over Stan's.
    I just cannot deal with the disastrous mess that Stan's makes of my tires. The other issue is the sealant would make tires feel like 2 ply DH tires with thornproof tubes. Not one issue with OS and tires are still supple and holding air well. Not one seep of fluid or sealant with OS.

foto, I have the Maxxis FBF 3.8's. There's no comparison between the FBF's and say, Knard 26x3.8. Knard is way fatter than the FBF. The FBF's roll fast and all that and feel similar to a Larry with double deep treads. Float is nice and riding sand works well especially with low pressure for reasonable squish of the tires. Haven't tried em in snow yet but I imagine, I'll hafta use the wrinkle count method for air pressure.
    Doctor recommended...

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    I swapped out the 11-36 with a GX1150 10-42 cassette and GX derailleur. Required an XD driver for compatibility. Also upgraded to an XO 11 speed shifter. Needed that extra high gear sometimes for steeper climbs. Been very happy with the set up. To reference Spinal Tap... Most people's gears only go to 10, mine go to 11.

Also changed the chairing to an Absolute Black oval 28t, boost version. Very easy swap. No problems with shifting or chain line. No problem adjusting from round to oval. Feel like it's improved my climbing as well as traction with climbing.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170521_124234.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	86.8 KB 
ID:	1138346
    Time for a strip of grip tape in lieu of the inner tube chain stay protection... Clear works well since it takes on the color of the frame.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Time for a strip of grip tape in lieu of the inner tube chain stay protection... Clear works well since it takes on the color of the frame.

Ha ha! Yes, good catch, it's an inner tube. I like the idea of clear grip tape, I'll look into it. I know you have an eye for style, I've seen your bikes in this thread. Thanks for the suggestion.... Makin' the Sarge a purty boy

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Keepin Sarge bytchen is job one!!

Griptape tends to last the longest and look very thoughtfully done.

RSD Sergeant thread (Pix are appreciated)-3437.jpg
    Here is one of my bikes with clear griptape on the chain stay. Just a clean durable and lasting method to doing protection on the cheap.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Stock 2016 Sergeant here. Just wondering if anyone has moved the sliders back to lengthen to wheelbase? Is that possible with the stock wheels and tires or will it mess up the chain? This is my first mountain bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by tantrum007 View Post
    Stock 2016 Sergeant here. Just wondering if anyone has moved the sliders back to lengthen to wheelbase? Is that possible with the stock wheels and tires or will it mess up the chain? This is my first mountain bike.
    Very possible. Shouldn't mess anything up at all, just a longer wheelbase

mtbr member
    May 2017
    While I did look into 29+, I found that 27.5 is very nice in terms of keepin it playful while still having the rollover of tall wheels. I do run the 3.8's for the additional floatation although, they are in no way a replacement for real fat. (4.8)
    I use a 30x36-11 with no issues. 3.8 and flip the chainring and away ya go.
    Agree completely, have a 29+, and while it has awesome rollover, for me 27.5x3.8 is the best all round. Currently using Hodag 3.8's and really like the profile on the 50mm rims, more rounded than the stock Chronis and lots of clearance. Have about 80km with them on and they make the Sergeant my favourite bike by far. Am really digging those Crux's Shredmaster has as well!

RSD Sergeant thread (Pix are appreciated)-img_20170512_124945.jpgRSD Sergeant thread (Pix are appreciated)-img_20170512_125034.jpg

Cheers!

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by tantrum007 View Post
    The only change will be front end load increase. Little less playful, perhaps.

Quote Originally Posted by sknyboy View Post
    Agree completely, have a 29+, and while it has awesome rollover, for me 27.5x3.8 is the best all round. Currently using Hodag 3.8's and really like the profile on the 50mm rims, more rounded than the stock Chronis and lots of clearance. Have about 80km with them on and they make the Sergeant my favourite bike by far. Am really digging those Crux's Shredmaster has as well!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170512_124945.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	191.2 KB 
ID:	1139081Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170512_125034.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	181.9 KB 
ID:	1139082

Cheers!
    Those are lookin good! Maxi+ indeed. I've been thinkin bout tryin a pair of Hodags to see if they would fit... Good stuff.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Thanks sknyboy and banshee! Right now, from an armchair perspective, the Sargent is my top choice from a geometry and general use perspective. That said, I wish there was more frame bag space and having killed a couple aluminum frames over the years, I am distrustful of the material (and I would go full custom from Walt rather than ti). Otherwise it is really appealing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    So I got the Sarge on last Friday, looks great, built it up and the last thing I did was put the chain on and run through the gears. Lo and behold the freehub spins both ways. Defective from factory. I emailed Alex Friday night and Saturday morning I heard back from him. He forwarded my message to Sun Ringle, evidently they had a few problems with them and I'm waiting to hear back from them. I was going to pull the freehub off and just see if the pawls are frozen and maybe free them up myself and I can't figure out how to get it apart. different than I've done in the past. On a side note has anyone run 29+ on the Manitou fork that comes with the bike, looks like it might fit? Thanks

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by fotooutdoors View Post
    Thanks sknyboy and banshee! Right now, from an armchair perspective, the Sargent is my top choice from a geometry and general use perspective. That said, I wish there was more frame bag space and having killed a couple aluminum frames over the years, I am distrustful of the material (and I would go full custom from Walt rather than ti). Otherwise it is really appealing.
    I've changed my ways over the years. No longer am I riding with too much starch in my elbows and knees. Sarge will be plenty reliable although a Waltworks project is very attractive, indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by triathloner View Post
    So I got the Sarge on last Friday, looks great, built it up and the last thing I did was put the chain on and run through the gears. Lo and behold the freehub spins both ways. Defective from factory. I emailed Alex Friday night and Saturday morning I heard back from him. He forwarded my message to Sun Ringle, evidently they had a few problems with them and I'm waiting to hear back from them. I was going to pull the freehub off and just see if the pawls are frozen and maybe free them up myself and I can't figure out how to get it apart. different than I've done in the past. On a side note has anyone run 29+ on the Manitou fork that comes with the bike, looks like it might fit? Thanks
    Don't think a 29+ will work in the 27.5 fork. Manitou offers an alternate part # for that.
    Alex will usually take very good care of warranty issues. Sorry to hear of the hub issue. Hope you get it sorted quickly.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    What do you do on a family vacation while the kids sleep? Haul your fat ass dad bod up the abandoned ski slope and enjoy heading down. Honestly this is why I wouldn't mind a slacker head angle

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345