Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Results 401 to 498 of 498
  1. #401
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    43
    Took "hellbent" for a ride around Walker ranch ( Boulder CO) today. Awesome ride, if not a bit early for 1500 ft of climb in 7 miles

    Goddamn I love mountain biking!

    Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

  2. #402
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nubster's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    6,142
    Quote Originally Posted by bruto View Post
    I guess as long as you're not trying to keep up with someone else, you're gonna be fine
    in the flats, that is
    If you don't think ss can keep up...then you'd be shocked to know that it's pretty common for single speeds to be some of if not the fastest times at a lot of races that include the class. At least here in WV. It's rare that at least one single speed isn't top 5 in overall time.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3

  3. #403
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,126
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    If you don't think ss can keep up...then you'd be shocked to know that it's pretty common for single speeds to be some of if not the fastest times at a lot of races that include the class. At least here in WV. It's rare that at least one single speed isn't top 5 in overall time.
    Yeah, his point is that on flats single speeds spin out, which is just math.

    Guys place with single speeds because they're the crazy mofos who are super human. They would place there riding backwards if that was their jam.

    Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

  4. #404
    SpoK Werks Handmade Goods
    Reputation: 1 Speed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,173
    Quote Originally Posted by tfinator View Post
    Yeah, his point is that on flats single speeds spin out, which is just math.

    Guys place with single speeds because they're the crazy mofos who are super human. They would place there riding backwards if that was their jam.
    Good point... some of it is that singlespeeders tend to learn to ride on another level that geared riders don't. Plus, climbing on an SS requires rolling at a certain speed, otherwise, it's faster to walk or run. It seems counterintutive but climbing with one gear is often faster. When I was riding mine regularly, I usually ranked higher on Strava segments on my SS than on my roadie or other mountain bikes. Not that I'm one of those crazy mofos... at least not for that reason....and no, I can't ride a bike backwards either.

  5. #405
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nubster's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    6,142
    Quote Originally Posted by 1 Speed View Post
    Good point... some of it is that singlespeeders tend to learn to ride on another level that geared riders don't. Plus, climbing on an SS requires rolling at a certain speed, otherwise, it's faster to walk or run. It seems counterintutive but climbing with one gear is often faster. When I was riding mine regularly, I usually ranked higher on Strava segments on my SS than on my roadie or other mountain bikes. Not that I'm one of those crazy mofos... at least not for that reason....and no, I can't ride a bike backwards either.
    All my climbing PR's are on my single speed. I'm a good bit faster (but still slow) on climbs on the SS. Definitely not easier but it is faster. But nothing sustained...just shorter steep climbs less than 1/2 mile long or so.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3

  6. #406
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    20
    Single speeders are forced to be faster b/c they only have one gear. Many years ago I was the first in my circle of friends to go 1X on my MTB. When climbing in the mountains, I was always the fastest climber, but not always the most fit. I had to be in front b/c I didn't have any extra "granny" gears. And.....people that own single speeds tend to have been cycling A LONG time before getting to the point of wanting a SS, thus, big base and fast.

  7. #407
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Captain_America1976's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    2,170
    Jabberwocky
    Post your 29 plus! (29+)-1d6509d8-80c0-4f13-8e18-c87adc55c3b9_zpsj5v2luev.jpg

  8. #408
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ghughes.hesinc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    457
    Krampus


  9. #409
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    93
    Trek Stache 7. Super fun amazing bike. Great work in design Trek!



  10. #410
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Dibbs_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,070

    Can't get enough of this beast :)

    Post your 29 plus! (29+)-img_4924.jpg

  11. #411
    mtbr member
    Reputation: makkot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    17


    I love 29+ in summer

  12. #412
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    116
    Just picked this Enduro 29/6Fattie up. Comes stock with 29" rims and the Specialized 2.3" tires. I want to get a 3" extra 27.5" wheel set.

    I am curious though, as a newbie, what are the biggest tires I can run on my 29" rims? 2.6'?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your 29 plus! (29+)-img_3641.jpg  

    Post your 29 plus! (29+)-screen-shot-2017-05-24-6.59.08-pm.jpg  


  13. #413
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    185
    Decided to re-do my ROS9 plus few weeks back... stripped the paint and used scotch brite pads to bring out the bare frame look.... applied a few coats of sherwin Williams automotive clear.... New I9 back country's will be here in a week or so....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your 29 plus! (29+)-img_0155.jpg  

    Post your 29 plus! (29+)-img_0948.jpg  

    Post your 29 plus! (29+)-img_0949.jpg  


  14. #414
    mtbr member
    Reputation: socal_jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,249
    Quote Originally Posted by ElBorracho62 View Post
    Decided to re-do my ROS9 plus few weeks back... stripped the paint and used scotch brite pads to bring out the bare frame look.... applied a few coats of sherwin Williams automotive clear.... New I9 back country's will be here in a week or so....
    Nice, makes me want to do mine over!
    ROS9+ SS
    ROS9 SS
    GT Peace 9R SS

  15. #415
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jbsocal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    281
    Quote Originally Posted by Jlpowell84 View Post
    Just picked this Enduro 29/6Fattie up. Comes stock with 29" rims and the Specialized 2.3" tires. I want to get a 3" extra 27.5" wheel set.

    I am curious though, as a newbie, what are the biggest tires I can run on my 29" rims? 2.6'?
    I'd also love to know if 29+ would fit...I'm guessing it will fit in front but back might be tighter in back...I don't have one yet, else I'd try it.
    ‘18 Marin Wolf Ridge Pro
    '17 Specialized E29 S-Works
    '17 Canfield Brothers Riot
    '13 Banshee Prime (29+)
    '12 LenzSport PBJ

  16. #416
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jbsocal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    281
    Not technically a plus bike...but I'm running plus tires on it.

    Had to swap forks to get the DHF 3.0 to fit...DW's weren't as big.

    ‘18 Marin Wolf Ridge Pro
    '17 Specialized E29 S-Works
    '17 Canfield Brothers Riot
    '13 Banshee Prime (29+)
    '12 LenzSport PBJ

  17. #417
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ethierjung's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    50
    I picked up a Stache 7 this past week. My only complaint was the brakes but I fixed that with some Ultimates.
    Post your 29 plus! (29+)-img_2544_zps7qmsxajn.jpg

    Post your 29 plus! (29+)-img_2546_zpsdfdxlinb.jpg

  18. #418
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    68
    Ok, it has gears on it now, but just too much fun to ride to take any more pictures at the moment!





    Did an xc race last evening and let's just say that compared to the other guys on Rocket Ron 2.25s and Fast Traks, these tires did not slow me down much. Okay, I was not able to sustain a lead on the gravel sections, but that was more down to the lack of legs. It was very easy to sit on the wheel when the one in front was pushing. I pulled away in the technical sections from Spark RCs and similar bikes but was just caught on the last drag to the line. There were a few surprised faces after the race With a suspension fork this bike will be an absolute beast!

  19. #419
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Just J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    5,700
    Quote Originally Posted by erik$ View Post
    Ok, it has gears on it now, but just too much fun to ride to take any more pictures at the moment!





    Did an xc race last evening and let's just say that compared to the other guys on Rocket Ron 2.25s and Fast Traks, these tires did not slow me down much. Okay, I was not able to sustain a lead on the gravel sections, but that was more down to the lack of legs. It was very easy to sit on the wheel when the one in front was pushing. I pulled away in the technical sections from Spark RCs and similar bikes but was just caught on the last drag to the line. There were a few surprised faces after the race With a suspension fork this bike will be an absolute beast!
    Love the colour of your Waltworks, looks great! Was is it a Walt supplied colour or did you have it custom painted?

  20. #420
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    704
    Awesome WW!

  21. #421
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ianick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,139
    Great looking Waltworks Erik$!

  22. #422
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    68
    Thanks! Super stoked about how it turned out. It was a stock color from Prismatic Powder so no upcharge from Walt. Bentley blue, for those wondering.

  23. #423
    Pinehurst NC
    Reputation: Charlie Don't Surf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    216
    Looks killer!
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "Loud hubs save lives!"

  24. #424
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    309
    Quote Originally Posted by jbsocal View Post
    Not technically a plus bike...but I'm running plus tires on it.

    Had to swap forks to get the DHF 3.0 to fit...DW's weren't as big.

    Awesome- you using the 150mm dropouts? any rubbing on rear? I have slight rubbing on my phantom with chupacabras but love the ride too much to switch. Maybe I will use another 3.0 thats narrower
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your 29 plus! (29+)-img_0687.jpg  

    Post your 29 plus! (29+)-img_0676.jpg  


  25. #425
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    215
    Stache 5

    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

  26. #426
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jbsocal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    281
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow poke View Post
    Awesome- you using the 150mm dropouts? any rubbing on rear? I have slight rubbing on my phantom with chupacabras but love the ride too much to switch. Maybe I will use another 3.0 thats narrower
    I'm using the 650B 142 mm dropouts (that were not intended for the 29er, they were to allow 27.5 on a 26 frame)...gives you 10 mm more clearance.

    Dirt Wizards might fit better, but they are slower rolling.

    I have ProCore installed, need to experiment more with tire pressure...there is some rubbing...not much clearance with these tires.
    ‘18 Marin Wolf Ridge Pro
    '17 Specialized E29 S-Works
    '17 Canfield Brothers Riot
    '13 Banshee Prime (29+)
    '12 LenzSport PBJ

  27. #427
    noob bikepacker
    Reputation: sXeXBMXer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    1,200
    Quote Originally Posted by erik$ View Post
    Thanks! Super stoked about how it turned out. It was a stock color from Prismatic Powder so no upcharge from Walt. Bentley blue, for those wondering.
    I might behaving to get my Krampus done in that color...
    "It's about having pointless fun in the woods...." - Walt
    '15 Surly Krampus
    '87 Mongoose Californian Pro
    LET IT SNOW!!!

  28. #428
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    68
    Do it!

  29. #429
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    61

    Another Waltworks

    Here's mine. Another WW. Can't say enough good things about it. This is an older picture. It lives with a Pike now, which is a different kind of fun.
    Post your 29 plus! (29+)-unnamed-1-.jpg

  30. #430
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    119
    Beep beep. Post your 29 plus! (29+)-img_5013.jpg

  31. #431
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ciquta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    81
    my stunner




  32. #432
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,853
    Quote Originally Posted by ciquta View Post
    my stunner
    looks sweet! what bars are those???

  33. #433
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ciquta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    81
    Ritchey Venturemax

  34. #434
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    32
    Hi,
    my new 29+.




  35. #435
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ghughes.hesinc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    457
    ^ Very nice! ^

  36. #436
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    68
    Does half a plus bike count? Curtlo Custom frame with a Scraper/Bomboloni up front. So much more fun this way!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your 29 plus! (29+)-img_20170529_201114.jpg  

    Post your 29 plus! (29+)-img_20170529_201054.jpg  


  37. #437
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    93
    Trek Stache 7 at National Park trail in Finland.

  38. #438
    It aint gonna ride itself
    Reputation: MauricioB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    585
    Laona, Wisconsin.


    Lumber Wagon by Michael Lemberger, on Flickr

  39. #439
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    93
    Trek Stache 7


    And in action...
    https://youtu.be/FePCwydiqyE

  40. #440
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gulljammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    134
    Quote Originally Posted by Ampelhasser View Post
    Hi,
    my new 29+.



    Very interesting. Would love to know your impressions of the Pinion and the Lauf.
    neg rep for contributing to thread deterioration and posting useless comment. - wadafuq.

    www.fattiremassive.com

  41. #441
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Captain_America1976's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    2,170
    For now I can post this one here. 29 x 3 up front and 29 x 2.6 in the rear. Later this week it will go 27.5 x 3 on both ends.
    Name:  EJ21X2Gs.jpg
Views: 2359
Size:  4.0 KB

    F*ck..... let me try this again. Sorry. Just switched it Imgur from Photobucket
    Name:  EJ21X2Gb.jpg
Views: 2362
Size:  10.6 KB

    One more try
    Post your 29 plus! (29+)-img_6048.jpg

  42. #442
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ianick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,139
    Took my Waltworks camping for the night.

    Post your 29 plus! (29+)-img_20170722_142730123.jpg

    Post your 29 plus! (29+)-20232409_10210042610001209_5914982526901612677_o.jpg

  43. #443
    mtbr member
    Reputation: system_weight's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    50
    It floats over dirt and gravel.
    Can walk on water too.

    friendly greetings
    Frank

  44. #444
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    93
    Quote Originally Posted by system_weight View Post
    It floats over dirt and gravel.
    Can walk on water too.
    What model is the rear hub? In my bike the rear hub gets loose (Stache 7). I'm using the threadlocker to secure two cones and still getting loose. Maybe in higher models are without cones. I'm thinking about to upgrade to the DT Swiss 350.

  45. #445
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    93
    Trek Stache 7 driving on the trail :-)
    https://youtu.be/dJXEARlg0zM

  46. #446
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    397
    any hub with industrial bearings will stay put
    there're cheaper options than DT (novatec d712-b12, for example)

    the bearings in question might be a bit small in some cases, however

  47. #447
    mtbr member
    Reputation: system_weight's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by jpaa View Post
    What model is the rear hub? In my bike the rear hub gets loose (Stache 7). I'm using the threadlocker to secure two cones and still getting loose. Maybe in higher models are without cones. I'm thinking about to upgrade to the DT Swiss 350.
    I have the Line Pro 40 Wheelset and that has Bontrager Hubs. (Whoever produced them I don't know.) No Problems so far.
    friendly greetings
    Frank

  48. #448
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    936
    Have heard from multiple sources )all reliable) the line 40 pro is dt swiss internals. I had all kind of issues with the stock bontrager hub as described below. Not a lot of miles on the line pro yet but the miles on are in rough wet muddy rock conditions and so far they are great.
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

  49. #449
    mtbr member
    Reputation: noosa2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,661

    Krampus

    Post your 29 plus! (29+)-image.jpg

  50. #450
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Just J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    5,700
    Quote Originally Posted by noosa2 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	141.3 KB 
ID:	1149519
    That looks like a lot of fun!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Fix foot pain, gain skills you forgot you had and have more fun whilst doing it!

    http://www.mcssl.com/app/?af=1681397

  51. #451
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,048
    I have a second wheelset for it....29x2.35 Nobby Nics.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your 29 plus! (29+)-unnamed.jpg  


  52. #452
    WNC Native
    Reputation: nitrousjunky's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    3,342

    Not a true full plus, but dang close.

    2.6" NN on i30 rear and 3" Bomboloni on i35 front
    Post your 29 plus! (29+)-img_4058.jpg
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

  53. #453
    This place needs an enema
    Reputation: mikesee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    10,938
    Proper.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your 29 plus! (29+)-8a3a3801.jpg  


  54. #454
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bikeny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    3,558
    Couple of shots from this weekends ride on my 29+ Waltworks. 45 miles of mixed asphalt road, rail trail, dirt road, and singletrack. Oh, and a dam!
    Post your 29 plus! (29+)-img_3700.jpgPost your 29 plus! (29+)-img_3702.jpgPost your 29 plus! (29+)-img_3703.jpg

  55. #455
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    39
    I've been lurking for a while, so thanks for all of the info!

    Here is my WW FS 29+ Bike.

    Post your 29 plus! (29+)-pj6itag.jpg

    Really enjoying it except I can't keep my scraper rims from splitting at the seams! Lost both front and rear so far

  56. #456
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Just J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    5,700
    Quote Originally Posted by Gangly1 View Post
    I've been lurking for a while, so thanks for all of the info!

    Here is my WW FS 29+ Bike.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PJ6ITAG.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	237.1 KB 
ID:	1151465

    Really enjoying it except I can't keep my scraper rims from splitting at the seams! Lost both front and rear so far
    Looks awesome, I love my WW!

    Can I suggest going with Raceface Arc 35 or 40 rims or better still Light Bicycle 40mm internals. I've had good success with mine and I'm 225lbs.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Fix foot pain, gain skills you forgot you had and have more fun whilst doing it!

    http://www.mcssl.com/app/?af=1681397

  57. #457
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    39
    Thanks, I have been following your thread and it was a big factor in my ordering a WW. I ended up going with FS due to some back and knee issues, and a love hate relationship with very rooty trails (I love them, they hate me).

    I am about to pull the trigger on a second wheelset. Almost decided on EIE asymmetric i29 rims (A29C29D25 29er all mountain 35mm wide enduro 29 inch bike rim, asymmetrical bicycle rim) for Nobby Nic 29x2.6 tires (Hope Pro 4 hubs to match current hubs). I want to try a lighter wheel and possibly faster tire, and also have a backup wheelset to reduce downtime. They are about $150 cheaper than equivalent LB wheels. I don't want to derail the thread too much, but purple or black hubs? If I go purple hubs I may get some purple pedals.

    If I lose another scraper (i40), or they don't warranty this one, I will be switching to Arc 40s or a carbon rim for sure. The first one that I lost they threw in a free pair of ranger tires, but I'm having a harder time getting a response this time.

  58. #458
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Just J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    5,700
    Quote Originally Posted by Gangly1 View Post
    Thanks, I have been following your thread and it was a big factor in my ordering a WW. I ended up going with FS due to some back and knee issues, and a love hate relationship with very rooty trails (I love them, they hate me).

    I am about to pull the trigger on a second wheelset. Almost decided on EIE asymmetric i29 rims (A29C29D25 29er all mountain 35mm wide enduro 29 inch bike rim, asymmetrical bicycle rim) for Nobby Nic 29x2.6 tires (Hope Pro 4 hubs to match current hubs). I want to try a lighter wheel and possibly faster tire, and also have a backup wheelset to reduce downtime. They are about $150 cheaper than equivalent LB wheels. I don't want to derail the thread too much, but purple or black hubs? If I go purple hubs I may get some purple pedals.

    If I lose another scraper (i40), or they don't warranty this one, I will be switching to Arc 40s or a carbon rim for sure. The first one that I lost they threw in a free pair of ranger tires, but I'm having a harder time getting a response this time.
    Oh cool I'm really glad I helped with your decision, you made a good one!

    I reckon purple would look very striking with your colour and if you do go purple pedals, see if you can get hold of some limited edition Pedalling Innovations Catalysts as they'll help with your knee issues too.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Fix foot pain, gain skills you forgot you had and have more fun whilst doing it!

    http://www.mcssl.com/app/?af=1681397

  59. #459
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    28
    Krampus from Spain

    Enviado desde mi SM-G930F mediante Tapatalk

  60. #460
    mtbr member
    Reputation: noosa2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,661
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbac View Post
    Krampus

    Enviado desde mi SM-G930F mediante Tapatalk
    Wow, beautiful landscape.

  61. #461
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Vto2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    212
    Haven't taken them out on a ride yet, but we have the same bike so we can share

    Velocity dually with 29+ chronicles

    Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

  62. #462
    mtbr member
    Reputation: noosa2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,661
    Quote Originally Posted by Just J View Post
    That looks like a lot of fun!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Yeah, it is turning out to be a lot of fun.

  63. #463
    noob bikepacker
    Reputation: sXeXBMXer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    1,200
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbac View Post
    Krampus from Spain

    Enviado desde mi SM-G930F mediante Tapatalk
    Why is it that I own a Krampus, but still get "jealous" when I see other peoples Krampi?

    Mine definitely does NOT get to see that kind of terrain though...great bike and great pics!
    "It's about having pointless fun in the woods...." - Walt
    '15 Surly Krampus
    '87 Mongoose Californian Pro
    LET IT SNOW!!!

  64. #464
    mtbr member
    Reputation: manwithnoname's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    166
    My fatty, aka Lard Wagon.
    Post your 29 plus! (29+)-img_1695.jpg

    Post your 29 plus! (29+)-img_1676.jpg
    .....

  65. #465
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RacerLex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    206
    manwithnoname, does your fork use boost spacing? I'm looking for a fork that will accommodate 29+ but not require boost for my ROS 9 Plus.

  66. #466
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    397
    very few of those in existence
    Lefty and RS-1 have the best clearance

  67. #467
    Pinehurst NC
    Reputation: Charlie Don't Surf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    216
    Quote Originally Posted by RacerLex View Post
    manwithnoname, does your fork use boost spacing? I'm looking for a fork that will accommodate 29+ but not require boost for my ROS 9 Plus.
    Depending on your hub brand, you may be able to swap endcaps to make your front hub "boost". Rock shox Reba and the Recon RL arch will clear 29+ 3.0" with plenty of safe room.
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "Loud hubs save lives!"

  68. #468
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    766
    Quote Originally Posted by RacerLex View Post
    manwithnoname, does your fork use boost spacing? I'm looking for a fork that will accommodate 29+ but not require boost for my ROS 9 Plus.
    FWIW, I was asking this same question a month or two ago and ended up swapping end caps on my hub to get 110 (I run Hope). Ended up for the better since I can have a nearly symmetrical wheel build now with even spoke tensions.

  69. #469
    mtbr member
    Reputation: manwithnoname's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    166
    I'm running a 29+ Pike which I believe is only available in boost spacing. I've read that the newer Fox 34 29 non-boost forks can handle some plus size 3.0 tires.
    .....

  70. #470
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RacerLex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    206
    My wheelset is built with DT Swiss 350 hubs. Niner states the ROS Plus is designed to use 100mm travel forks. Was there such a fork for 29+? The Pike and Fox 34 have at least 120mm travel, no?

    Edit: Just so I don't go completely off topic, here's my plus bike!

    Post your 29 plus! (29+)-1-copy.jpg
    The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

  71. #471
    mtbr member
    Reputation: coke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,122
    I have close to 400 miles on my Funk custom titanium 29+ now. It's absolutely perfect for my local trails, and I've been breaking all my old PRs that were set by my 18 pound carbon 29er. The somewhat slack geo with 29+ tires lets me push the bike so much faster than I could on a normal 29er bike with xc tires, while at the same time rolling and climbing faster than I would have ever thought possible. The comfort is great too. I recently completed a 60+ mile singletrack ride, and was nowhere near as fatigued as I would have been on my carbon 29er. The bike just works.

    Bike is also under 20 pounds ready to ride with pedals and bottle cages. The light weight combined with 29+ really makes the ultimate bike in my opinion.



    Post your 29 plus! (29+)-img_20171121_103933968-copy.jpg

  72. #472
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    773
    Quote Originally Posted by Vto2.0 View Post
    Haven't taken them out on a ride yet, but we have the same bike so we can share

    Velocity dually with 29+ chronicles

    Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
    does salsa make that? i tried finding it on the website but couldn't? nice look bikes.

  73. #473
    WNC Native
    Reputation: nitrousjunky's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    3,342
    Quote Originally Posted by adumb View Post
    does salsa make that? i tried finding it on the website but couldn't? nice look bikes.
    Both of those are Salsa Beargrease - BEARGREASE CARBON NX1 | Salsa Cycles
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

  74. #474
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Vto2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    212
    Quote Originally Posted by adumb View Post
    does salsa make that? i tried finding it on the website but couldn't? nice look bikes.
    Salsa does make the beargrease, but this is an older color combo, if you like it, you might need to shop used. As for the wheels, they are Velocity dually's, I purchased these from Velocity, can't go wrong with the Beargrease or the wheelset.

    Sent from my LGUS997 using Tapatalk

  75. #475
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    3,229
    Trek Stache 5 with fork, brakes, drivetrain and other misc. upgrades. Have worn through several pair of tires. My favorite bike ever. Used for trail riding and bikepacking.

    Post your 29 plus! (29+)-300.jpg

    Post your 29 plus! (29+)-304.jpg

    Post your 29 plus! (29+)-305.jpg

    Post your 29 plus! (29+)-306.jpg

    Post your 29 plus! (29+)-307.jpg

    Post your 29 plus! (29+)-308.jpg
    "Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated"

    "When you seek revenge, be prepared to dig 2 graves"

  76. #476
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    773
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrousjunky View Post
    Both of those are Salsa Beargrease - BEARGREASE CARBON NX1 | Salsa Cycles
    i thought it was but was looking for a plus bike they make. what size tired are on it and how much does it weight?

  77. #477
    mtbr member
    Reputation: endre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    13

    .



    .

  78. #478
    noob bikepacker
    Reputation: sXeXBMXer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    1,200
    Quote Originally Posted by endre View Post

    .



    .
    sweet rigidy goodness!!!!
    "It's about having pointless fun in the woods...." - Walt
    '15 Surly Krampus
    '87 Mongoose Californian Pro
    LET IT SNOW!!!

  79. #479
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    3

    BMC Trailfox TF01+

    My Trailfox Scalesized TF01+
    13,8kg 30,4pound tubeless
    Front 29x3.0 Maxxis Minon DHF II 3C maxxterra
    Rear 27.5x3.0 Maxxis Highroller II 3C maxxterra
    WTB Asym i35 wheels, Bitex hubs
    Fox 36 160mm (6,3 inch) DHF and fork are quite close but it works
    Vecnum Moveloc 200mm dropperpost (7,87inch)
    Magura MT5/7 brakes with 1 finger lever
    E-Thirteen 9-46 T 1x11
    26T oval RF aeffect
    Easton Carbon Riserbar
    Spank spike35 stem
    Cane creek angleset -1°
    Cane creek db il
    Wheelbase 122cm 48,03 inch
    steering angle 65° or a little below

    I love this bike, it rides like hell

    Name:  f7c56d9b8b_album.jpg
Views: 858
Size:  20.8 KB
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your 29 plus! (29+)-4c312e0d84_album.jpg  

    Attached Images Attached Images  

  80. #480
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    703
    Nice BMC build....clearance on rear tire to frame?

  81. #481
    mtbr member
    Reputation: socal_jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,249
    Quote Originally Posted by endre View Post

    .



    .
    Nice, was almost exact same setup i had SS and all cept i had DHF f/r, hows the DHR working? Found i could break the DHF loose standing in loose over hard. Now have mag pro fork on it.
    ROS9+ SS
    ROS9 SS
    GT Peace 9R SS

  82. #482
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    19

    ... and if we just ...

    Snow Stache

    Post your 29 plus! (29+)-snow-stache.jpg

  83. #483
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    161
    Can we include the dirty Sixer as well on this thread. It is a plus size bike. 36 inch tires Will make 29+ look like child’s play😁

  84. #484
    mtbr member
    Reputation: socal_jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,249
    Quote Originally Posted by Rugerfan777 View Post
    Can we include the dirty Sixer as well on this thread. It is a plus size bike. 36 inch tires Will make 29+ look like child’s play😁
    There's some 36er threads you could necro
    ROS9+ SS
    ROS9 SS
    GT Peace 9R SS

  85. #485
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    414
    Quote Originally Posted by socal_jack View Post
    Nice, was almost exact same setup i had SS and all cept i had DHF f/r, hows the DHR working? Found i could break the DHF loose standing in loose over hard. Now have mag pro fork on it.
    Hey Jack, did you have to get a new wheel or lace in a new hub for your mag pro fork? Going to have to go squishy at some point (shoulder just ain't gettin' it these days...). Are you good with your Magnum on your ROS? (Love my ROS+ rigid, but I'd like to be able to lift my arm over my head the day after I ride it...).

  86. #486
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2,077
    Quote Originally Posted by Rugerfan777 View Post
    Can we include the dirty Sixer as well on this thread. It is a plus size bike. 36 inch tires Will make 29+ look like child’s play😁
    Someday I'll have one and then there will always be a current thread because I'll annoyingly post about it all the time!

  87. #487
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    76
    Here is my latest frame up build.
    '16 Stache frame with Rockshox Yari, SRAM GX Eagle, Guide RS brakes and Sun Duroc 50 wheels with Chuppacabra 29x3 tires.


    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

  88. #488
    wretch
    Reputation: Truckee Trash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,871

    Sheep!

    Just added a 120mm Pike on my Sheep ... totally different bike in a bunch of good ways!


    Post your 29 plus! (29+)-img_4028.jpg

  89. #489
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by Truckee Trash View Post
    Just added a 120mm Pike on my Sheep ... totally different bike in a bunch of good ways!


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4028.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	121.7 KB 
ID:	1174817
    I was running a rigid carbon fork before the Yari. I thought I would like full rigid but I'm glad I switched!

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

  90. #490
    wretch
    Reputation: Truckee Trash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,871
    Quote Originally Posted by mustang183 View Post
    I was running a rigid carbon fork before the Yari. I thought I would like full rigid but I'm glad I switched!

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    I'm glad I have the rigid as an alternate option. I use the bike for long gravel miles, singletrack, everything. Rode it in rigid mode at the Grinduro last year with the Minions. Im doing the first leg of the Timber Trail next summer as well as 5 days of singletrack and Lake Tahoe. Both of those rides justfied the need for the 120mm Pike.

  91. #491
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    236
    Quote Originally Posted by coke View Post
    I have close to 400 miles on my Funk custom titanium 29+ now. It's absolutely perfect for my local trails, and I've been breaking all my old PRs that were set by my 18 pound carbon 29er. The somewhat slack geo with 29+ tires lets me push the bike so much faster than I could on a normal 29er bike with xc tires, while at the same time rolling and climbing faster than I would have ever thought possible. The comfort is great too. I recently completed a 60+ mile singletrack ride, and was nowhere near as fatigued as I would have been on my carbon 29er. The bike just works.

    Bike is also under 20 pounds ready to ride with pedals and bottle cages. The light weight combined with 29+ really makes the ultimate bike in my opinion.



    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20171121_103933968 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	251.4 KB 
ID:	1170616
    Coke,
    Hey man I am very interested in the details on your Funk 29+, if you don't mind what components did you use to keep it at 20 pounds? What is the terrain you normally ride like (what part of the country)? Why do you think your able to set new PR's on the 29+ vs your carbon 29er? What carbon 29er were you on? I would love to hear some general thoughts on the Funk set up 29+ vs your Carbon 29er both good and bad. Thanks!

    Sexy bike BTW, I am a sucker for Ti

  92. #492
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2,077
    Quote Originally Posted by coke View Post
    I have close to 400 miles on my Funk custom titanium 29+ now. It's absolutely perfect for my local trails, and I've been breaking all my old PRs that were set by my 18 pound carbon 29er. The somewhat slack geo with 29+ tires lets me push the bike so much faster than I could on a normal 29er bike with xc tires, while at the same time rolling and climbing faster than I would have ever thought possible. The comfort is great too. I recently completed a 60+ mile singletrack ride, and was nowhere near as fatigued as I would have been on my carbon 29er. The bike just works.

    Bike is also under 20 pounds ready to ride with pedals and bottle cages. The light weight combined with 29+ really makes the ultimate bike in my opinion.



    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20171121_103933968 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	251.4 KB 
ID:	1170616
    Quote Originally Posted by jbell View Post
    Coke,
    Hey man I am very interested in the details on your Funk 29+, if you don't mind what components did you use to keep it at 20 pounds? What is the terrain you normally ride like (what part of the country)? Why do you think your able to set new PR's on the 29+ vs your carbon 29er? What carbon 29er were you on? I would love to hear some general thoughts on the Funk set up 29+ vs your Carbon 29er both good and bad. Thanks!

    Sexy bike BTW, I am a sucker for Ti
    +1 ON ALL THAT!!

    I'd love to do a Ti SS +bike at a similar weight/build. I wouldn't want to sacrifice durability too terribly much, but if I could build a strong bike that was under 22#, I'd be really happy!

  93. #493
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2,077
    Hahaha....nevermind, I just looked it up. $4k rigid frame is too rich for my blood. Nice though!!

  94. #494
    mtbr member
    Reputation: noosa2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,661
    Quote Originally Posted by jbsocal View Post
    Not technically a plus bike...but I'm running plus tires on it.

    Had to swap forks to get the DHF 3.0 to fit...DW's weren't as big.

    How much room do you have between the rear tire and the seat and chain stays?

  95. #495
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    32
    Bikepacking Setup with a Lauf Carbonara



    and here with the Manitou Magnum Pro

    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your 29 plus! (29+)-2202743-u5urtdqv7iqy-dsc01562-large.jpg  


  96. #496
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    9
    Sweet looking bikes

  97. #497
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    397

  98. #498
    mtbr member
    Reputation: coke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,122
    Quote Originally Posted by jbell View Post
    Coke,
    Hey man I am very interested in the details on your Funk 29+, if you don't mind what components did you use to keep it at 20 pounds? What is the terrain you normally ride like (what part of the country)? Why do you think your able to set new PR's on the 29+ vs your carbon 29er? What carbon 29er were you on? I would love to hear some general thoughts on the Funk set up 29+ vs your Carbon 29er both good and bad. Thanks!

    Sexy bike BTW, I am a sucker for Ti
    I ride in Arkansas, Texas, and Oklahoma. Variety of terrain from smooth and sandy to extremely rocky. We have a little of everything around here, but most trails have rocks and roots and rolling hills.

    My previous bike was a Niner One 9 RDO, and weighed between 18 to 20 pounds depending on how it was set up. The Funk 29+ does everything better than the niner. A LOT less twitchy in corners, almost never slips while climbing, doesn't loose momentum on rocks and roots nearly as bad, much more stable on downhills, more traction in corners and braking, and much more lively and easier to manual and bunny hop. I could go on, but I guess the only thing the niner would do better would be a perfectly smooth climb due to it being slightly lighter. On everything else the funk is faster. I've set PRs on segments and laps that I've literally ridden hundreds of times. I also have a smart trainer and know the PRs aren't due to having more power.

    Here's the build list. It gets expensive to get below 20 pounds with 29+. For a comparison, I've attached a picture of my wife's steel Chumba 29+ that I'm currently building. It weighs around 10 pounds as pictured and should be around 22 when built with cheaper parts than on my bike.

    Funk Build List:
    Rims = Kappius XCW (40mm internal)

    Hubs = Project 321 - Magnetic, quiet option, ceramic upgrade (157mm rear, 110 front)

    Spokes = cx-ray

    Fork = Niner Boost

    Cranks = Next SL g4

    BB = King Ceramic (83mm)

    Cog = Niner ti

    Chain = xtr

    Post = syntace hiflex

    Stem = Enve

    Bars = Enve

    Grips = ESI Chunky

    Brakes = Magura MT8 (180f, 160r)

    Headset = King

    Tires = WTB Ranger 29x3

    Bottle Cages = King ti

    Chain ring = Absolute oval 32t

    Slider bolt Upgrade = Paragon ti

    Pedals = Xpedo Mforce 8 ti

    Saddle = Specialized S Works Power

    Wife's Chumba (build in progress)

    Post your 29 plus! (29+)-img_20180114_180635398-copy.jpg

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Similar Threads

  1. post to post adaptor for 180 post to 203 rotor
    By Monster Truck in forum Brake Time
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 12-03-2017, 10:10 AM
  2. Who makes post to post mount rear adapters???
    By ebnash in forum Brake Time
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 08-24-2014, 03:17 PM
  3. Rear post to post mount adapter exist?
    By alfred.fetta in forum Brake Time
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-20-2013, 05:20 AM
  4. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-23-2012, 09:40 PM
  5. Seat post slippage (aluminum post, carbon frame)
    By paulendo in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-02-2011, 03:18 PM

Members who have read this thread: 413

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •