Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    viva la v-brakes!
    Quote Originally Posted by kakachi View Post
    The Maxxis looks burlier!
    Check out the Maxxis site for why the placement of those side knobs on the 2.3 aren't the best: Wide Trail (WT) Design | Maxxis Tires USA

TLDR: Looks burly, but breaks loose early.

But I'd be very interested to see a Maxxis 2.5 WT tire next to the Nobby Nic.
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    I have a car. I made a choice. I ride my bike.

the air is thin up here..
    Quote Originally Posted by kakachi View Post
    The Maxxis looks burlier!
    Let the Schwalbe stretch out a bit - consider letting it sit it at 40psi to accelerate. Mine grew quite a bit over the first few days.
    2017 Transmission Smuggler
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon
    www.mngnt.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by noot View Post
    Let the Schwalbe stretch out a bit - consider letting it sit it at 40psi to accelerate. Mine grew quite a bit over the first few days.
    Oh yes, that's a good tip! I've pumped it up to 40 PSI and let's see!
    A trophy bike is easier to maintain than a trophy car. Both are easier to maintain than a trophy wife.

mtbr member
    With measurements of this tire coming in typically just under 2.5, it seems like the biggest Nobby Nic is a tad smaller than the Maxxis Rekon 2.6, which folks are measuring as just under 2.6 on most rims, but really close to 2.6 or even slightly bigger with i35 rims. Anyone have experience with both of these tires and can confirm or give any observations?

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    I only have them in 27.5 variety - NN 2.6 Pacestar and Rekon 2.6 Dual Compound. I've found the opposite, that the NN is every so slightly bigger.

On 29mm IW rims the NN is just over 64mm and the Rekon is 63.5mm. This is for the widest knobs. I didn't bother measuring the casing size.

IMO it's close enough that I wouldn't bother worrying about it, you can't tell the difference by eye either.

mtbr member
    Thanks, Im trying to see if either will fit in the back of a Lynskey Ridgeline 29er, the newer frame has the boost rear axle and the Lynskey sales rep says they measured would fit up to a 2.5 tire with 5mm of clearance on either side, and he says he thinks they did it with a i31 rim. But you never know... Only one way to find out I guess because I cant seem to find anyone on any of the forums with a real world tale to tell...

mtbr member
    Boz - It should fit if you can handle 2.5" with 5mm clearances. My 29x2.6 NN measured 2.55" wide on a 29mm inner width rim at 16psi. (I squeezed it into my Stumpjumper 6Fattie.)

Nobby Nic 29X2.60-stumpy%2520nn%252029x2.6.jpg

Dab-O-Matic
    If anyone has a 29x2.6 they want to sell....
    SB4.5 XX1/XTR
    Parlee Chebacco
    Cannondale Black Di2/disk (roadie)
    '07 575 XT
    SB95a*
    SB95c*
    ASRc*
    SB5c*
    * retired

mtbr member
    I hav 2 29" 2.6 Knobby Nics. I don't care for how they handle in the desert. Very low miles.
    If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains,
    you're lucky enough.

Stupid is, as stupid does
    I apologize if it's been asked already. Thread is too long to read the whole thing (Or lets be real, I m too lazy). Anyone know if this will fit in non-boost fork. Or I should say my fork is a 1st gen RS Pike 29er 150 travel. I am running a LB 38mm OD rim (I believe the ID is 32).

I ride in so-cal so mud isn't an issue. Just need clearance. Thanks ahead of time if anyone can answer my question
    Yeti SB95C
    Carver Ti 420
    Ibis HD3

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by spunkmtb View Post
    I apologize if it's been asked already. Thread is too long to read the whole thing (Or lets be real, I m too lazy). Anyone know if this will fit in non-boost fork. Or I should say my fork is a 1st gen RS Pike 29er 150 travel. I am running a LB 38mm OD rim (I believe the ID is 32).

I ride in so-cal so mud isn't an issue. Just need clearance. Thanks ahead of time if anyone can answer my question
    non boost pike here with 2.6 NN on 31mm internals and plenty of room.
    16 Process 111DL
    15 Process 134DL
    16 Process 153DL
    16 Honzo DL
    16 Private Jake
    17 Hei Hei DLc

Here, diagonally!
    Quote Originally Posted by ATXZJ View Post
    non boost pike here with 2.6 NN on 31mm internals and plenty of room.
    Ditto here on 35mm internal. My Non-Boost Pike was purchased in 2014.

Purveyor of Trail Tales!
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by JACKL View Post
    Ditto here on 35mm internal. My Non-Boost Pike was purchased in 2014.
    Hi Folks,

Not only did I fit a 2.6" NN on my 2014 non-boost Pike I am also able to run a 2.8" Terrene McFly as well. I've got months of positive experience with both tires in this fork. They were both mounted on a carbon Derby 29mm internal rim. Given the clearance the 2.8" Terrene McFly is the largest tire I would personally try to use in this fork.

Good luck with your upgrade!

Michael
    If you can't keep the rubber side down......at least smile for the camera!

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Got two Nobby Nic Evolution ADDIX Speedgrip SnakeSkin 29 2.60's for my Fuel EX 9.8. Weights are 885 and 920 grams. Currently running 15/17 psi f/r. Rolling faster than the stock Bontrager XR4 Team Issue TLR 29x2.4's.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/OZbFqTsWPrkUkOr23

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    The global and US Schwalbe websites only show the Apex protection, not the Snakeskin. Is the Snakeskin version now cut from their offerings, or is this temporary?

mtbr member
    Yes, I thought the snakeskin version may have been discontinued and had to search vendors to find a set in stock. The benefit was that they were marked down in price, and the pair I received were 792 and 824g, ~100g lighter than the Apex version.

WNC Native
    As more people get the Addix versions, are they for the most part the same size or any smaller than the previous ones? Saw one person previously saying he thought they were a tad smaller....?
    Last edited by nitrousjunky; 04-20-2018 at 04:21 AM.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    I have been running NN 29x2.6 Addix Speedgrip tires F/R for about 4 months now and I love them. I had them wrapped to Spank 395 Plus rims (I35). Before the tires stretched I thought they were a little squared and now after the tires are fully stretched the tires still do not have the profile I am after. To fix the problem I swapped out rims to Spank 350s (I30.5). Now, I feel the tires have the proper profile.

These tires are awesome. I like these tires so much that I decided to change out the rims versus changing out the tires.

Since the rim swap I have noticed they roll faster with no drop in cornering performance. The fact that I dropped over 100 grams of rolling weight per wheel by swapping out the rims may have a small part in this too.

After my tires fully stretched they measure 65mm wide at the widest point of the tread. When I first bought them they measured 63mm wide. I did not take a bead-to-bead measurement, but I can tell you the casings are big. Gratefully, my Foes Alpine swallows them up with plenty of clearance.

Another thing I am pumped about. I have been running NN for many years. The new casing and compounds works great. After 4 months of heavy riding the tires are wearing pretty good, in my opinion better than the older version. At the price I paid for these tires they better last a while.

Seriously, these tires are rad.

Cheers,

WNC Native
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBforlife View Post
    I have been running NN 29x2.6 Addix Speedgrip tires F/R for about 4 months now and I love them. I had them wrapped to Spank 395 Plus rims (I35). Before the tires stretched I thought they were a little squared and now after the tires are fully stretched the tires still do not have the profile I am after. To fix the problem I swapped out rims to Spank 350s (I30.5). Now, I feel the tires have the proper profile.
    Good to hear. My previous Trailstar NN grew to exactly 2.6 (casing width, which was the widest point) on my Arc30, which was just a tad too big. I may have to try another and see if the Addix is holding slightly smaller after stretch, as otherwise I was very happy with the tire.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

All fat, all the time.
    So yourselves a favor a take the NN off the front
    I ran it for a season thinking all was well. Unpredictable when it wants to let loose.

Just put a high roller 2 on, so much better tire.

AOK
    mtbr member
    Selling a set of 29 x 2.6 Nics if anyone is interested.

Schwalbe Nobby Nic 29 x 2.6 tires - MTBR Classifieds

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    So yourselves a favor a take the NN off the front
    I ran it for a season thinking all was well. Unpredictable when it wants to let loose.

Just put a high roller 2 on, so much better tire.
    The HR2 is a good tire but in my opinion the DHF is a way better tire for the front. There are so many factors that play into it though. What ever floated your boat, so to speak.

I would not classify the HR2 and the NN in the same class of tire.

The HR2 is a way more aggressive than the NN. The tire is great in situations when you need a full blown tractor tire to get the job done. It rolls pretty slow. In my opinion the NN is a jack of all trade and master at none. So far all the terrain I hit out here in Colorado the NN works great. It corners great and rolls fast. I think the HR2 will definitely out corner the NN at top speeds but the sacrifice of rolling resistance.

On my Enduro Bike Yeti SB6 I have been running a DHF 2.5 WT up front and so far my experience with this tire compared to the 2.6 NN Addix Speedgrip has been pretty comparable. Both tires display a similar personality. The only front tire I have found that works better is a Magic Mary.

Of course terrain and riding styles differ from rider to rider

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    hey all, any suggested PSI starting points for these? Running on i30 rims. 185lb rider, semi-aggro xc/trail riding in the NE.

Dab-O-Matic
    Quote Originally Posted by bad andy View Post
    hey all, any suggested PSI starting points for these? Running on i30 rims. 185lb rider, semi-aggro xc/trail riding in the NE.
    Running tubeless, 20-22 psi
    SB4.5 XX1/XTR
    Parlee Chebacco
    Cannondale Black Di2/disk (roadie)
    '07 575 XT
    SB95a*
    SB95c*
    ASRc*
    SB5c*
    * retired

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bad andy View Post
    Same weight but more trail/enduro riding, 32 inner carbon rims, Im @ 1,1 bar at front and 1.4 /1.5 back

viva la v-brakes!
    I'm 190 pounds: 16f, 18r.
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    I have a car. I made a choice. I ride my bike.

Lone Wolf

Cool-blue Rhythm

Did they figure out how to keep the knobs from breaking off and do these current NN last more than a few hundred miles ?
    I used to blow through three Schwalbe's In the same time I'd half way wear out one Bonty XR 4.
    They performed great but the cost and very short longevity made me Stop using them 4 seasons ago, Curious If the brand ever got better..
    I seek only the Flow,
    Climbing Is Supposed To Be Hard,
    Shut Up Legs :P

Lone Wolf

Cool-blue Rhythm

Quote Originally Posted by The Boz View Post
    With measurements of this tire coming in typically just under 2.5, it seems like the biggest Nobby Nic is a tad smaller than the Maxxis Rekon 2.6, which folks are measuring as just under 2.6 on most rims, but really close to 2.6 or even slightly bigger with i35 rims. Anyone have experience with both of these tires and can confirm or give any observations?
    Wow, good to know, Been on the Rekon 27.5 x 2.8 that measures 2.7 wide after a stretching out on my 35mm ID rims. This tire in 3c bla bla comes in at 820 grams.

If the 2.6 wide Rekon comes in at 2.5 I think loosing the .2 inch could be worth it considering the tire is 730 grams.
    Dropping almost 10% In tire weigh and loosing only 7% In width,, Yeah I'm gonna put one on the back and see...
    (At's getting kinda geekie, I know, I know but wu~tu~fu)
    I seek only the Flow,
    Climbing Is Supposed To Be Hard,
    Shut Up Legs :P

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Has anyone compared the measurements of NN2.6 with Panaracer fat b nimble? Its very narrow for being labeled as 29x3.0 tire and it is only a couple of mm too wide for my frame. Maybe the NN2.6 would fit perfectly...

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567