Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    fc
    mtbr founder Administrator

Manitou Magnum 27.5+ and 29+ fork impressions

Like it or not, Manitou is back. And we're gonna have to deal with it and learn it since it is the only game in town for OEM 2016.

They were first to the + tire size and 110 spacing so they bagged Trek OE

Anybody use it? What do we know about it yay or nay?

fc
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Manitou Magnum 27.5+ and 29+ fork impressions-p4160015.jpg  

Manitou Magnum 27.5+ and 29+ fork impressions-dsc07889-1024x682.jpg  

IPA will save America

mtbr member
    If it rides anything like the Mattoc, it should be a winner.
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

@2whlfun
    Aug 2008
    I have one in a box but no hubs are available yet! Well, I found one for about $200 but will wait since I'm having no problems running a Traxx Fatty 3.0 in my 29er fork (Fox 34 Talas)

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    Like it or not, Manitou is back. And we're gonna have to deal with it and learn it since it is the only game in town for OEM 2016.
    What's not to like about Manitou?

What an odd way for forum admin to start a post.

Don't call it a comeback--they've been here for years.
    Handbuilt wheels: www.LaceMine29.com

mtbr member
    May 2010
    FC,

I read in another thread that you have been riding the new Stache 9 with the manitou magnum fork for several weeks. Only a few of these bikes out there so please do us a favor and answer you own question. If I am mistaken please disregard.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by acudoc View Post
    FC,

I read in another thread that you have been riding the new Stache 9 with the manitou magnum fork for several weeks. Only a few of these bikes out there so please do us a favor and answer you own question. If I am mistaken please disregard.
    Ha, ha... I do have one. I'm just starting to figure it out though. I rode it twice, bone stock settings and I couldn't really isolate it from the cushy front tire.

Then I crashed and have been out for five weeks.

I'm riding this week though and am doing research on this fork now.

fc
    IPA will save America

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    What's not to like about Manitou?

What an odd way for forum admin to start a post.

Don't call it a comeback--they've been here for years.
    What's not to like about it for some is it is an unknown. I go through a lot of products and am around a lot of people and I don't know anyone who knows much about this manitou.

It may be a good one so I'm seeking experience from those in the know. Share your wisdom instead of going on the attack.

First impressions are the thru-axle is stranggggge. And when I let air out of the fork to soften it up for my preference, it seems to lose travel.
    IPA will save America

This place needs an enema
    What's not to like about it for some is it is an unknown. I go through a lot of products and am around a lot of people and I don't know anyone who knows much about this manitou.

Please re-read your opening statement with any level of objectivity. I think you'll see what I'm getting at.

It may be a good one so I'm seeking experience from those in the know. Share your wisdom instead of going on the attack.

First impressions are the thru-axle is stranggggge. And when I let air out of the fork to soften it up for my preference, it seems to lose travel.
    Fair enough.

Agreed that the TA is odd. It is simple and effective enough, but different enough from everything else out there that it raises an eyebrow. I like it, but I can see where non-tech-nerds could be annoyed by it.

I've been riding a Dorado on my DH bike for ~4 years running. The damping is nothing short of incredible. Massive adjustability without diving into the internals.

Manitou Magnum 27.5+ and 29+ fork impressions-8a3a9542.jpg

I've been running this Magnum + fork for about 2 weeks. The damping is every bit as incredible. The chassis seems plenty stiff in every plane. Haven't yet been able to find a con, but will keep looking.
    Handbuilt wheels: www.LaceMine29.com

Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
    There was some discussion in another thread about how the Magnum Comp does not have the Dorado damper, so it looks like the Pro will be the one to get for aggressive riding.

The only downside I see is that Manitou does not offer on the fly travel adjust, which some riders and bike setups might benefit from.
    GIS/GPS Pro using ArcFM for Utility Mapping - Always willing to connect with other MTBers in the industry.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    We rode the 27,5 Comp 140mm and it's fantastic. It tracks really well and is super smooth. I can just imagine how good the Pro version is.
    Never once felt that it needed travel adjust.
    RSD Bikes - Sales - www.rsdbikes.com
    We`re slow at updating our site - facebook

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    when I let air out of the fork to soften it up for my preference, it seems to lose travel.
    You've run through the high speed compression damping adjustment?
    Maybe the shim stack could be changed.

mtbr member

The front axle will act just like a traditional QR - it is pretty similar to how wheel chairs lock their wheels.

If you are loosing travel, that means you have too much air in your negative spring. For this fork, add air with the bike upside down. With the shock pump attached, release all the air. Next, extend the legs all the way (just pull them apart) and add air to your desired level. Put bike back upright and pump the fork a few times to make sure air transfers from the negative to positive.

74 & 29 pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by PHeller View Post
    There was some discussion in another thread about how the Magnum Comp does not have the Dorado damper, so it looks like the Pro will be the one to get for aggressive riding.

The only downside I see is that Manitou does not offer on the fly travel adjust, which some riders and bike setups might benefit from.
    From what I've read, they don't offer the Comp after market, so Pro is the only option. I just received one and it comes with 5 different colors of decals for your particular taste Now to get a 110 hub and wheel laced up
    MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I have one that came on my Stache 9. The TA tries really hard to to be a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. It's a rides ok but I wish it had a lockout feature. Also running the pressure lower than manufacturer specs because I wasn't using even half the travel.

Trail Ninja
    My first time with the HexLoc 15QR was awkward too. Before installing my wheel to the fork for the first time, I found that the bit that goes into the nut wasn't lined up correctly, so following the print that says to line it up with the crown was wrong. Shone a flashlight into the inside of the nut, saw how it all fit together, found that I could rotate the internal spring loaded bit to adjust it, and now it works as expected. About 5 minutes to learn how to instantly install/remove reliably without reading any instructions. I figure the time savings on removing and reinstalling the front wheel will come up someday, and the fork's (Tower Pro, not Magnum) performance gave me way more confidence and an overall more positive experience than the SID Brain it replaced. One other niggle is that I had to look up online examples of how to tame to brake line. I didn't have a long enough line to cross to the right and go behind the right crown. I do wonder about if I can see the print at night, to properly line it up. I also wonder about the axle to crown length, in comparison to my old fork, but don't care enough to do exact measurements. Haven't yet serviced it, so being unfamiliar with that and being familiar with Fox and RockShox is another potential issue. Basically, being unfamiliar with the thing is the only downside I can really come up with too.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespasianus View Post
    The front axle will act just like a traditional QR - it is pretty similar to how wheel chairs lock their wheels.

If you are loosing travel, that means you have too much air in your negative spring. For this fork, add air with the bike upside down. With the shock pump attached, release all the air. Next, extend the legs all the way (just pull them apart) and add air to your desired level. Put bike back upright and pump the fork a few times to make sure air transfers from the negative to positive.
    Thank you!!! I will try that today and report back..

fc
    IPA will save America

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by zsommer79 View Post
    I have one that came on my Stache 9. The TA tries really hard to to be a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. It's a rides ok but I wish it had a lockout feature. Also running the pressure lower than manufacturer specs because I wasn't using even half the travel.
    I'm on the same boat man. I'll start tuning and tweaking today. I might even be brave enough to touch that skewer.

fc
    IPA will save America

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Technically Manitou wasn't the first to the starting gate with Plus tire clearance and 110 spacing... that's the Rockshox RS-1... it clears any of the 650B plus offerings to date and it only comes 15 x 110, and it comes with up to 120mm travel.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Well I've had mine now for a while and after the initial good impressions I am starting to get a bit picky with the feel. My main gripe is only ever getting 100mm of travel out of the 120mm and going round in circles with the settings. Anyone found a good base setting they are happy with?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Ok so I am getting pretty disappointed with this fork. Today during a big day out in Wales, the high speed compression dial seized up. All the dials on the top from new have been a bit shoddy, sometimes actually clicking other times just notching round as you turn. If it wasn't for the fact that I'm constantly adjusting to find a decent setting I would have liked to have left them alone by now. Guess I will have to get on to Manitou tomorrow, gutted I did not wait for some feedback before diving in and spending so much money blind.

mtbr member
    Would a 27.5 Magnum take a 29x2.5 tire?

What's the axle to crown height on a 27.5?

And would someone recommend it for general enduro-like riding?

Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
    Quote Originally Posted by tim.johnston View Post
    Ok so I am getting pretty disappointed with this fork.
    Pro or Comp?
    GIS/GPS Pro using ArcFM for Utility Mapping - Always willing to connect with other MTBers in the industry.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by PHeller View Post
    Pro or Comp?
    Pro.

Sorted the seized cap by taking it apart and cleaning. Watch out for the ball bearings and springs on the HBO adjuster if you do this! Still tweaking the settings, but still not happy. Overall it just does not give up travel very easy, and feels a bit stiff.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Bought a Manitou Magnum Boost and the dropouts were off center making it almost impossible to remove the thru axle after tightening. Manitou replaced the lower and the replacement was the same. They then refused to take responsibility or even acknowledge the problem. Buy a reputable fork like FOX or RS and save yourself the grief.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Finally got mine to behave how I like. Has taken a very long time and many rides of tweaking to get it to perform well. It's an amazing fork plowing through rough stuff at speed, very composed and as good as previous high end forks I've had. Found that having all the volume spacers positioned on one side to give the most progression and having the air pressure 20 psi below the recommended for weight helped. Two clicks of low speed and three of high, rebound around the middle. Still fine tuning but only small adjustments now, feels pretty good. This fork is very sensitive to setup and would suit someone who likes to fiddle. Would have preferred a simpler fork myself that works out of the box with few tweaks like a Pike, but hey we can't be picky, this is the only true 29+ fork to date and it's not that bad at all.

Professional Slacker
    Jun 2004
    I see that the only aftermarket options are 100 and 120mm, is the model used for the Stache a special OEM version or is there a travel reducer installed to shorten the travel from 120mm?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanduro View Post
    Bought a Manitou Magnum Boost and the dropouts were off center making it almost impossible to remove the thru axle after tightening. Manitou replaced the lower and the replacement was the same. They then refused to take responsibility or even acknowledge the problem. Buy a reputable fork like FOX or RS and save yourself the grief.

If the replacement had the same issue, maybe it was not the fork but your hub/wheel?

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Nope, Manitou has now acknowledged and agreed to correct the problem, so I am ready to move on and enjoy what otherwise seemed like a well designed fork. I assume that they will correct any defects in the pipeline and learn from this mistake.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanduro View Post
    Nope, Manitou has now acknowledged and agreed to correct the problem, so I am ready to move on and enjoy what otherwise seemed like a well designed fork. I assume that they will correct any defects in the pipeline and learn from this mistake.
    well, it is nice that it turned out well!

mtbr member
    I rode a RM Sherpa with this fork and I was impressed. Never needed to touch the dials for standing climbing and cruising descents. Could be stiffer but for 99% of riders this fork is great.
    99% of the problems and questions posted here would be answered if people actually walked into a bicycle shop and asked

74 & 29 pilot
    The thing I'm confused by with this fork is that its 120mm travel and has 156mm of stanchion showing, obviously unsagged, and a A2C of 557. It just seems like overkill for a 120 fork when the 16' Fox 130 I got has 138mm of stanchion showing on a 545 A2C that clears the tire in the arch plenty and bottomed out no catch. Plus the thing weighs 2300+ grams compared to the fox at 1840 grams, both uncut.

What am I missing? Is the Magnum supposed to be run with 30% plus sag or something; How much HA difference is there in 12mm fork length; Is the performance that good to justify the extra weight for a 120mm fork?

Someone set me straight, I'm just a regular dumba$$ and not an engineer

Manitou Magnum 27.5+ and 29+ fork impressions-img_2677.jpg
    Manitou Magnum 27.5+ and 29+ fork impressions-img_2680.jpg
    MTBP

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MTB Pilot View Post
    The thing I'm confused by with this fork is that its 120mm travel and has 156mm of stanchion showing, obviously unsagged, and a A2C of 557. It just seems like overkill for a 120 fork when the 16' Fox 130 I got has 138mm of stanchion showing on a 545 A2C that clears the tire in the arch plenty and bottomed out no catch. Plus the thing weighs 2300+ grams compared to the fox at 1840 grams, both uncut.

What am I missing? Is the Magnum supposed to be run with 30% plus sag or something; How much HA difference is there in 12mm fork length; Is the performance that good to justify the extra weight for a 120mm fork?

Someone set me straight, I'm just a regular dumba$$ and not an engineer

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2677.jpg 
Views:	1182 
Size:	67.7 KB 
ID:	1001863

Name:	IMG_2680.jpg 
Views:	532 
Size:	73.4 KB 
ID:	1001864
    The Magnum comes in 110-140mm travel. Are you sure this is a 120? Could it be for the fat bike tires?

74 & 29 pilot
    The Magnum comes in 110-140mm travel. Are you sure this is a 120? Could it be for the fat bike tires?
    Manitou's website advertises it in 80, 100, 120, 140mm travel lengths. I bought a the 29+ 120 version, which is the max travel sold for the 29+. What I've read on sites like bikerumor and Pinkbike, the 140 version is only available in the 27.5+ version. The only versions I've seen available on the aftermarket stores and on their own website is 100 or 120mm. My guess is that there are 2 sets of uppers that they are using for both 27.5 and 29 versions, but different lowers based on the wheel size. The 120mm version uses the same upper as the 140mm fork and therefore the extra stanchion length. No where do I read that this thing is internally adjustable, but you wouldn't be able to use more that 135mm of travel anyway, as the 29+ version arch is so tall that it would probably contact the frame after 140mm of travel.

The site I bought it off of also advertises the axle to crown height at 550.5; I measured from the center of the axle up and as you can see came up with a bit more.
    MTBP

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MTB Pilot View Post
    Manitou's website advertises it in 80, 100, 120, 140mm travel lengths. I bought a the 29+ 120 version, which is the max travel sold for the 29+. What I've read on sites like bikerumor and Pinkbike, the 140 version is only available in the 27.5+ version. The only versions I've seen available on the aftermarket stores and on their own website is 100 or 120mm. My guess is that there are 2 sets of uppers that they are using for both 27.5 and 29 versions, but different lowers based on the wheel size. The 120mm version uses the same upper as the 140mm fork and therefore the extra stanchion length. No where do I read that this thing is internally adjustable, but you wouldn't be able to use more that 135mm of travel anyway, as the 29+ version arch is so tall that it would probably contact the frame after 140mm of travel.

The site I bought it off of also advertises the axle to crown height at 550.5; I measured from the center of the axle up and as you can see came up with a bit more.
    Funny that the AC is hard to find for this fork. The only place I see it is on this site: (https://www.benscycle.com/p-19922-ma...20mm-mblk.aspx).

They state a 550 A/C. The AC on the new Fox 34 29+ is really low and so is the weight. The Magnum seems to be much heavier than the Mattoc - which hopefully should make it stiffer.

If it rides like the Mattoc, it should give a nice ride. Make sure you fill the fork after emptying the air chamber and extending the fork fully.

74 & 29 pilot
    Yeah, I know that's why I measured it... Try finding the A2C length for any RS fork...

Still sitting in the box, not sure I'm going to use it. Waiting on frame geo numbers based on Fork A2C length to get the right HA... Would like to use a new 2016 Fox 34 instead.

Maybe selling mine for a loss along with a brand new Hope 110mm boost hub.
    MTBP

mtbr member

The AC on the new Fox 34 29+ is really low and so is the weight.
    What? AFAIK the new fox 34 is 27.5+ not 29+.
    Or is there any reports that 27.5+ fits 29+ fine?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Thing is this is the only official 29+ fork so far, we don't have anything to compare like for like. My guess is the AC needs to be that bit taller to accommodate proper manufacturers clearance on the arch and crown. Comparing this to the Fox 27+ is not a fair comparison as that was designed for proper clearance on a much less tall wheel. This is a great fork and after quite a long bedding in period of tweaking I really recommend it. Now running the proper air pressure for my weight and it feels amazing. Also have found the customer service excellent, with questions and a quick replacement of a lost rebound dial.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ya29er View Post
    What? AFAIK the new fox 34 is 27.5+ not 29+.
    Or is there any reports that 27.5+ fits 29+ fine?

Good point. I was looking at this:

FORK- 2016 34mm User Specification Drawings | Bike Help Center | FOX

Look down the page and they have the specs for a 29 X 110 fork - which I assume was a 29+ fork. But it only takes a 29 X 2.5 tire or a 27.5 X 3.0.

The Magnum is rated at 27.5 ◊ 3.4 or 29 ◊ 3.4.

Big difference. ya29er, good find and correction.

mtbr member
    Good point. I was looking at this:

FORK- 2016 34mm User Specification Drawings | Bike Help Center | FOX

Look down the page and they have the specs for a 29 X 110 fork - which I assume was a 29+ fork. But it only takes a 29 X 2.5 tire or a 27.5 X 3.0.

The Magnum is rated at 27.5 ◊ 3.4 or 29 ◊ 3.4.

Big difference. ya29er, good find and correction.
    The 29" 110mm fork is in fact the 27.5+ fork.
    Which (according to my image manipulation skills) is 29+ compatible.

Currently I run Chronicles (50mm rim) on 2013 Fox Float 29 32. It has 2-3mm clearance in the arc which is plenty for me. But I want something 'enduro', more travel and stiffer.

So see the picture below. 1 pixel = 1 mm in real world. All axles are in line. I've been tried to find a good picture of MRP Stage but there's only side pictures.

Manitou Magnum 27.5+ and 29+ fork impressions-29-forks.jpg

mtbr member

Currently I run Chronicles (50mm rim) on 2013 Fox Float 29 32. It has 2-3mm clearance in the arc which is plenty for me. But I want something 'enduro', more travel and stiffer.

So see the picture below. 1 pixel = 1 mm in real world. All axles are in line. I've been tried to find a good picture of MRP Stage but there's only side pictures.

Name:	29+ forks.jpg 
Views:	2831 
Size:	241.3 KB 
ID:	1002377
    From that image, it looks like the Magnum has a similar, if not little lower, AC height.

74 & 29 pilot
    Really!? I'll wait till you have a picture to believe that speculation.
    MTBP

mtbr member

Thanks for that. I wonder it you might bring in the Magnum 27.5+ fork and see how it compares.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by temporoad View Post
    Thanks for that. I wonder it you might bring in the Magnum 27.5+ fork and see how it compares.
    Brief google image search didn't reveal any good pictures of 27.5+ version.

The technique is pretty simple. I really wonder why it's not widely used.
    1. Measure and remember a well known distance in pixels. I've use hub width.
    2. Scale image to make it 1px=1mm. Ex. a 100mm hub width is 130px, then 100mm / 130px * 100% = 76%. Scale the width to 76%.
    4. Measure everything you like. It's a good idea to measure another well-known part such as a tube width to make sure everything is ok with the scaling.

mtbr member
    I have both a 100 and a 120 and they are tall forks. I put the 100mm on my ByStickel 29+ that was designed around a ~120mm 29er fork so the 100mm Magnum works pretty well with 25% sag. I really like it but the pressures need to way lower than the recommended values. I am still tweaking the knobs but am pleased overall. The 120mm went on a Gnavester and it totally screwed up it's handling. So I tried running with ~35%+ sag and still steered slow as hell. I am going to try a Angleset HS and steepen the HT angle as much as I can and see how that feels. Otherwise the rigid fork goes back on and a 120 goes for sale.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Manitou Magnum Pro 29+

Travel / A-C

100mm / 530.5mm
    120mm / 550.5mm

Trek has a custom 110mm travel with a A-C of 531 to account for the specific 3.0" tire they are using.

Manitou Magnum Pro 27.5+

Travel / A-C

120mm / 527mm
    140mm / 547mm

ultra member
    Where did you get the 531 AC measurement? Just curious.
    Last edited by briantortilla; 07-17-2015 at 11:53 AM.
    Somersaults... that's how I roll.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I may or may not work at one of the companies...

ultra member
    So can the trek version be rebuilt for 120mm of travel or is it permanently fixed at 110?
    Somersaults... that's how I roll.

Stealth Lurker
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Junior Varsity View Post
    I may or may not work at one of the companies...
    May you or may you not share some specs about Magnum Comp? There's no information online about this fork. Can you tell me what oil weights to use? What features is it lacking from the pro?

I bought this fork with a bike and it's like Manitou is trying to hide everything about the comp version.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doty View Post
    May you or may you not share some specs about Magnum Comp? There's no information online about this fork. Can you tell me what oil weights to use? What features is it lacking from the pro?

I bought this fork with a bike and it's like Manitou is trying to hide everything about the comp version.
    I would send an e-mail to Manitou. They are very helpful.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast