Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    fc
    stoked Administrator

Manitou Magnum 27.5+ and 29+ fork impressions

Like it or not, Manitou is back. And we're gonna have to deal with it and learn it since it is the only game in town for OEM 2016.

They were first to the + tire size and 110 spacing so they bagged Trek OE

Anybody use it? What do we know about it yay or nay?

fc
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Manitou Magnum 27.5+ and 29+ fork impressions-p4160015.jpg  

Manitou Magnum 27.5+ and 29+ fork impressions-dsc07889-1024x682.jpg  

IPA will save America

mtbr member
    If it rides anything like the Mattoc, it should be a winner.
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

@2whlfun
    Aug 2008
    I have one in a box but no hubs are available yet! Well, I found one for about $200 but will wait since I'm having no problems running a Traxx Fatty 3.0 in my 29er fork (Fox 34 Talas)

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    Like it or not, Manitou is back. And we're gonna have to deal with it and learn it since it is the only game in town for OEM 2016.
    What's not to like about Manitou?

What an odd way for forum admin to start a post.

Don't call it a comeback--they've been here for years.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    FC,

I read in another thread that you have been riding the new Stache 9 with the manitou magnum fork for several weeks. Only a few of these bikes out there so please do us a favor and answer you own question. If I am mistaken please disregard.

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by acudoc View Post
    FC,

I read in another thread that you have been riding the new Stache 9 with the manitou magnum fork for several weeks. Only a few of these bikes out there so please do us a favor and answer you own question. If I am mistaken please disregard.
    Ha, ha... I do have one. I'm just starting to figure it out though. I rode it twice, bone stock settings and I couldn't really isolate it from the cushy front tire.

Then I crashed and have been out for five weeks.

I'm riding this week though and am doing research on this fork now.

fc
    IPA will save America

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    What's not to like about Manitou?

What an odd way for forum admin to start a post.

Don't call it a comeback--they've been here for years.
    What's not to like about it for some is it is an unknown. I go through a lot of products and am around a lot of people and I don't know anyone who knows much about this manitou.

It may be a good one so I'm seeking experience from those in the know. Share your wisdom instead of going on the attack.

First impressions are the thru-axle is stranggggge. And when I let air out of the fork to soften it up for my preference, it seems to lose travel.
    IPA will save America

This place needs an enema
    What's not to like about it for some is it is an unknown. I go through a lot of products and am around a lot of people and I don't know anyone who knows much about this manitou.

Please re-read your opening statement with any level of objectivity. I think you'll see what I'm getting at.

It may be a good one so I'm seeking experience from those in the know. Share your wisdom instead of going on the attack.

First impressions are the thru-axle is stranggggge. And when I let air out of the fork to soften it up for my preference, it seems to lose travel.
    Fair enough.

Agreed that the TA is odd. It is simple and effective enough, but different enough from everything else out there that it raises an eyebrow. I like it, but I can see where non-tech-nerds could be annoyed by it.

I've been riding a Dorado on my DH bike for ~4 years running. The damping is nothing short of incredible. Massive adjustability without diving into the internals.

Manitou Magnum 27.5+ and 29+ fork impressions-8a3a9542.jpg

I've been running this Magnum + fork for about 2 weeks. The damping is every bit as incredible. The chassis seems plenty stiff in every plane. Haven't yet been able to find a con, but will keep looking.

Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
    There was some discussion in another thread about how the Magnum Comp does not have the Dorado damper, so it looks like the Pro will be the one to get for aggressive riding.

The only downside I see is that Manitou does not offer on the fly travel adjust, which some riders and bike setups might benefit from.
    GIS/GPS Pro using ArcFM for Utility Mapping - Always willing to connect with other MTBers in the industry.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    We rode the 27,5 Comp 140mm and it's fantastic. It tracks really well and is super smooth. I can just imagine how good the Pro version is.
    Never once felt that it needed travel adjust.
    RSD Bikes - Sales - www.rsdbikes.com
    We`re slow at updating our site - facebook

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    when I let air out of the fork to soften it up for my preference, it seems to lose travel.
    You've run through the high speed compression damping adjustment?
    Maybe the shim stack could be changed.

mtbr member

The front axle will act just like a traditional QR - it is pretty similar to how wheel chairs lock their wheels.

If you are loosing travel, that means you have too much air in your negative spring. For this fork, add air with the bike upside down. With the shock pump attached, release all the air. Next, extend the legs all the way (just pull them apart) and add air to your desired level. Put bike back upright and pump the fork a few times to make sure air transfers from the negative to positive.

74 & 29 pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by PHeller View Post
    There was some discussion in another thread about how the Magnum Comp does not have the Dorado damper, so it looks like the Pro will be the one to get for aggressive riding.

The only downside I see is that Manitou does not offer on the fly travel adjust, which some riders and bike setups might benefit from.
    From what I've read, they don't offer the Comp after market, so Pro is the only option. I just received one and it comes with 5 different colors of decals for your particular taste Now to get a 110 hub and wheel laced up
    MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I have one that came on my Stache 9. The TA tries really hard to to be a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. It's a rides ok but I wish it had a lockout feature. Also running the pressure lower than manufacturer specs because I wasn't using even half the travel.

Trail Ninja
    My first time with the HexLoc 15QR was awkward too. Before installing my wheel to the fork for the first time, I found that the bit that goes into the nut wasn't lined up correctly, so following the print that says to line it up with the crown was wrong. Shone a flashlight into the inside of the nut, saw how it all fit together, found that I could rotate the internal spring loaded bit to adjust it, and now it works as expected. About 5 minutes to learn how to instantly install/remove reliably without reading any instructions. I figure the time savings on removing and reinstalling the front wheel will come up someday, and the fork's (Tower Pro, not Magnum) performance gave me way more confidence and an overall more positive experience than the SID Brain it replaced. One other niggle is that I had to look up online examples of how to tame to brake line. I didn't have a long enough line to cross to the right and go behind the right crown. I do wonder about if I can see the print at night, to properly line it up. I also wonder about the axle to crown length, in comparison to my old fork, but don't care enough to do exact measurements. Haven't yet serviced it, so being unfamiliar with that and being familiar with Fox and RockShox is another potential issue. Basically, being unfamiliar with the thing is the only downside I can really come up with too.

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespasianus View Post
    The front axle will act just like a traditional QR - it is pretty similar to how wheel chairs lock their wheels.

If you are loosing travel, that means you have too much air in your negative spring. For this fork, add air with the bike upside down. With the shock pump attached, release all the air. Next, extend the legs all the way (just pull them apart) and add air to your desired level. Put bike back upright and pump the fork a few times to make sure air transfers from the negative to positive.
    Thank you!!! I will try that today and report back..

fc
    IPA will save America

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by zsommer79 View Post
    I have one that came on my Stache 9. The TA tries really hard to to be a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. It's a rides ok but I wish it had a lockout feature. Also running the pressure lower than manufacturer specs because I wasn't using even half the travel.
    I'm on the same boat man. I'll start tuning and tweaking today. I might even be brave enough to touch that skewer.

fc
    IPA will save America

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Technically Manitou wasn't the first to the starting gate with Plus tire clearance and 110 spacing... that's the Rockshox RS-1... it clears any of the 650B plus offerings to date and it only comes 15 x 110, and it comes with up to 120mm travel.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Well I've had mine now for a while and after the initial good impressions I am starting to get a bit picky with the feel. My main gripe is only ever getting 100mm of travel out of the 120mm and going round in circles with the settings. Anyone found a good base setting they are happy with?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Ok so I am getting pretty disappointed with this fork. Today during a big day out in Wales, the high speed compression dial seized up. All the dials on the top from new have been a bit shoddy, sometimes actually clicking other times just notching round as you turn. If it wasn't for the fact that I'm constantly adjusting to find a decent setting I would have liked to have left them alone by now. Guess I will have to get on to Manitou tomorrow, gutted I did not wait for some feedback before diving in and spending so much money blind.

mtbr member
    Would a 27.5 Magnum take a 29x2.5 tire?

What's the axle to crown height on a 27.5?

And would someone recommend it for general enduro-like riding?

Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
    Quote Originally Posted by tim.johnston View Post
    Ok so I am getting pretty disappointed with this fork.
    Pro or Comp?
    GIS/GPS Pro using ArcFM for Utility Mapping - Always willing to connect with other MTBers in the industry.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by PHeller View Post
    Pro or Comp?
    Pro.

Sorted the seized cap by taking it apart and cleaning. Watch out for the ball bearings and springs on the HBO adjuster if you do this! Still tweaking the settings, but still not happy. Overall it just does not give up travel very easy, and feels a bit stiff.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Bought a Manitou Magnum Boost and the dropouts were off center making it almost impossible to remove the thru axle after tightening. Manitou replaced the lower and the replacement was the same. They then refused to take responsibility or even acknowledge the problem. Buy a reputable fork like FOX or RS and save yourself the grief.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Finally got mine to behave how I like. Has taken a very long time and many rides of tweaking to get it to perform well. It's an amazing fork plowing through rough stuff at speed, very composed and as good as previous high end forks I've had. Found that having all the volume spacers positioned on one side to give the most progression and having the air pressure 20 psi below the recommended for weight helped. Two clicks of low speed and three of high, rebound around the middle. Still fine tuning but only small adjustments now, feels pretty good. This fork is very sensitive to setup and would suit someone who likes to fiddle. Would have preferred a simpler fork myself that works out of the box with few tweaks like a Pike, but hey we can't be picky, this is the only true 29+ fork to date and it's not that bad at all.

Professional Slacker
    Jun 2004
    I see that the only aftermarket options are 100 and 120mm, is the model used for the Stache a special OEM version or is there a travel reducer installed to shorten the travel from 120mm?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanduro View Post
    Bought a Manitou Magnum Boost and the dropouts were off center making it almost impossible to remove the thru axle after tightening. Manitou replaced the lower and the replacement was the same. They then refused to take responsibility or even acknowledge the problem. Buy a reputable fork like FOX or RS and save yourself the grief.

If the replacement had the same issue, maybe it was not the fork but your hub/wheel?

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Nope, Manitou has now acknowledged and agreed to correct the problem, so I am ready to move on and enjoy what otherwise seemed like a well designed fork. I assume that they will correct any defects in the pipeline and learn from this mistake.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanduro View Post
    Nope, Manitou has now acknowledged and agreed to correct the problem, so I am ready to move on and enjoy what otherwise seemed like a well designed fork. I assume that they will correct any defects in the pipeline and learn from this mistake.
    well, it is nice that it turned out well!

mtbr member
    I rode a RM Sherpa with this fork and I was impressed. Never needed to touch the dials for standing climbing and cruising descents. Could be stiffer but for 99% of riders this fork is great.
    99% of the problems and questions posted here would be answered if people actually walked into a bicycle shop and asked

74 & 29 pilot
    The thing I'm confused by with this fork is that its 120mm travel and has 156mm of stanchion showing, obviously unsagged, and a A2C of 557. It just seems like overkill for a 120 fork when the 16' Fox 130 I got has 138mm of stanchion showing on a 545 A2C that clears the tire in the arch plenty and bottomed out no catch. Plus the thing weighs 2300+ grams compared to the fox at 1840 grams, both uncut.

What am I missing? Is the Magnum supposed to be run with 30% plus sag or something; How much HA difference is there in 12mm fork length; Is the performance that good to justify the extra weight for a 120mm fork?

Someone set me straight, I'm just a regular dumba$$ and not an engineer

Manitou Magnum 27.5+ and 29+ fork impressions-img_2677.jpg
    Manitou Magnum 27.5+ and 29+ fork impressions-img_2680.jpg
    MTBP

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MTB Pilot View Post
    The thing I'm confused by with this fork is that its 120mm travel and has 156mm of stanchion showing, obviously unsagged, and a A2C of 557. It just seems like overkill for a 120 fork when the 16' Fox 130 I got has 138mm of stanchion showing on a 545 A2C that clears the tire in the arch plenty and bottomed out no catch. Plus the thing weighs 2300+ grams compared to the fox at 1840 grams, both uncut.

What am I missing? Is the Magnum supposed to be run with 30% plus sag or something; How much HA difference is there in 12mm fork length; Is the performance that good to justify the extra weight for a 120mm fork?

Someone set me straight, I'm just a regular dumba$$ and not an engineer

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2677.jpg 
Views:	1660 
Size:	67.7 KB 
ID:	1001863

Name:	IMG_2680.jpg 
Views:	702 
Size:	73.4 KB 
ID:	1001864
    The Magnum comes in 110-140mm travel. Are you sure this is a 120? Could it be for the fat bike tires?

74 & 29 pilot
    The Magnum comes in 110-140mm travel. Are you sure this is a 120? Could it be for the fat bike tires?
    Manitou's website advertises it in 80, 100, 120, 140mm travel lengths. I bought a the 29+ 120 version, which is the max travel sold for the 29+. What I've read on sites like bikerumor and Pinkbike, the 140 version is only available in the 27.5+ version. The only versions I've seen available on the aftermarket stores and on their own website is 100 or 120mm. My guess is that there are 2 sets of uppers that they are using for both 27.5 and 29 versions, but different lowers based on the wheel size. The 120mm version uses the same upper as the 140mm fork and therefore the extra stanchion length. No where do I read that this thing is internally adjustable, but you wouldn't be able to use more that 135mm of travel anyway, as the 29+ version arch is so tall that it would probably contact the frame after 140mm of travel.

The site I bought it off of also advertises the axle to crown height at 550.5; I measured from the center of the axle up and as you can see came up with a bit more.
    MTBP

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MTB Pilot View Post
    Manitou's website advertises it in 80, 100, 120, 140mm travel lengths. I bought a the 29+ 120 version, which is the max travel sold for the 29+. What I've read on sites like bikerumor and Pinkbike, the 140 version is only available in the 27.5+ version. The only versions I've seen available on the aftermarket stores and on their own website is 100 or 120mm. My guess is that there are 2 sets of uppers that they are using for both 27.5 and 29 versions, but different lowers based on the wheel size. The 120mm version uses the same upper as the 140mm fork and therefore the extra stanchion length. No where do I read that this thing is internally adjustable, but you wouldn't be able to use more that 135mm of travel anyway, as the 29+ version arch is so tall that it would probably contact the frame after 140mm of travel.

The site I bought it off of also advertises the axle to crown height at 550.5; I measured from the center of the axle up and as you can see came up with a bit more.
    Funny that the AC is hard to find for this fork. The only place I see it is on this site: (https://www.benscycle.com/p-19922-ma...20mm-mblk.aspx).

They state a 550 A/C. The AC on the new Fox 34 29+ is really low and so is the weight. The Magnum seems to be much heavier than the Mattoc - which hopefully should make it stiffer.

If it rides like the Mattoc, it should give a nice ride. Make sure you fill the fork after emptying the air chamber and extending the fork fully.

74 & 29 pilot
    Yeah, I know that's why I measured it... Try finding the A2C length for any RS fork...

Still sitting in the box, not sure I'm going to use it. Waiting on frame geo numbers based on Fork A2C length to get the right HA... Would like to use a new 2016 Fox 34 instead.

Maybe selling mine for a loss along with a brand new Hope 110mm boost hub.
    MTBP

mtbr member

The AC on the new Fox 34 29+ is really low and so is the weight.
    What? AFAIK the new fox 34 is 27.5+ not 29+.
    Or is there any reports that 27.5+ fits 29+ fine?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Thing is this is the only official 29+ fork so far, we don't have anything to compare like for like. My guess is the AC needs to be that bit taller to accommodate proper manufacturers clearance on the arch and crown. Comparing this to the Fox 27+ is not a fair comparison as that was designed for proper clearance on a much less tall wheel. This is a great fork and after quite a long bedding in period of tweaking I really recommend it. Now running the proper air pressure for my weight and it feels amazing. Also have found the customer service excellent, with questions and a quick replacement of a lost rebound dial.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ya29er View Post
    What? AFAIK the new fox 34 is 27.5+ not 29+.
    Or is there any reports that 27.5+ fits 29+ fine?

Good point. I was looking at this:

FORK- 2016 34mm User Specification Drawings | Bike Help Center | FOX

Look down the page and they have the specs for a 29 X 110 fork - which I assume was a 29+ fork. But it only takes a 29 X 2.5 tire or a 27.5 X 3.0.

The Magnum is rated at 27.5 × 3.4 or 29 × 3.4.

Big difference. ya29er, good find and correction.

mtbr member
    Good point. I was looking at this:

FORK- 2016 34mm User Specification Drawings | Bike Help Center | FOX

Look down the page and they have the specs for a 29 X 110 fork - which I assume was a 29+ fork. But it only takes a 29 X 2.5 tire or a 27.5 X 3.0.

The Magnum is rated at 27.5 × 3.4 or 29 × 3.4.

Big difference. ya29er, good find and correction.
    The 29" 110mm fork is in fact the 27.5+ fork.
    Which (according to my image manipulation skills) is 29+ compatible.

Currently I run Chronicles (50mm rim) on 2013 Fox Float 29 32. It has 2-3mm clearance in the arc which is plenty for me. But I want something 'enduro', more travel and stiffer.

So see the picture below. 1 pixel = 1 mm in real world. All axles are in line. I've been tried to find a good picture of MRP Stage but there's only side pictures.

Manitou Magnum 27.5+ and 29+ fork impressions-29-forks.jpg

mtbr member

Currently I run Chronicles (50mm rim) on 2013 Fox Float 29 32. It has 2-3mm clearance in the arc which is plenty for me. But I want something 'enduro', more travel and stiffer.

So see the picture below. 1 pixel = 1 mm in real world. All axles are in line. I've been tried to find a good picture of MRP Stage but there's only side pictures.

Name:	29+ forks.jpg 
Views:	4078 
Size:	241.3 KB 
ID:	1002377
    From that image, it looks like the Magnum has a similar, if not little lower, AC height.

74 & 29 pilot
    Really!? I'll wait till you have a picture to believe that speculation.
    MTBP

mtbr member

Thanks for that. I wonder it you might bring in the Magnum 27.5+ fork and see how it compares.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by temporoad View Post
    Thanks for that. I wonder it you might bring in the Magnum 27.5+ fork and see how it compares.
    Brief google image search didn't reveal any good pictures of 27.5+ version.

The technique is pretty simple. I really wonder why it's not widely used.
    1. Measure and remember a well known distance in pixels. I've use hub width.
    2. Scale image to make it 1px=1mm. Ex. a 100mm hub width is 130px, then 100mm / 130px * 100% = 76%. Scale the width to 76%.
    4. Measure everything you like. It's a good idea to measure another well-known part such as a tube width to make sure everything is ok with the scaling.

mtbr member
    I have both a 100 and a 120 and they are tall forks. I put the 100mm on my ByStickel 29+ that was designed around a ~120mm 29er fork so the 100mm Magnum works pretty well with 25% sag. I really like it but the pressures need to way lower than the recommended values. I am still tweaking the knobs but am pleased overall. The 120mm went on a Gnavester and it totally screwed up it's handling. So I tried running with ~35%+ sag and still steered slow as hell. I am going to try a Angleset HS and steepen the HT angle as much as I can and see how that feels. Otherwise the rigid fork goes back on and a 120 goes for sale.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Manitou Magnum Pro 29+

Travel / A-C

100mm / 530.5mm
    120mm / 550.5mm

Trek has a custom 110mm travel with a A-C of 531 to account for the specific 3.0" tire they are using.

Manitou Magnum Pro 27.5+

Travel / A-C

120mm / 527mm
    140mm / 547mm

ultra member
    Where did you get the 531 AC measurement? Just curious.
    Last edited by briantortilla; 07-17-2015 at 11:53 AM.
    Somersaults... that's how I roll.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I may or may not work at one of the companies...

ultra member
    So can the trek version be rebuilt for 120mm of travel or is it permanently fixed at 110?

Stealth Lurker
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Junior Varsity View Post
    I may or may not work at one of the companies...
    May you or may you not share some specs about Magnum Comp? There's no information online about this fork. Can you tell me what oil weights to use? What features is it lacking from the pro?

I bought this fork with a bike and it's like Manitou is trying to hide everything about the comp version.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doty View Post
    May you or may you not share some specs about Magnum Comp? There's no information online about this fork. Can you tell me what oil weights to use? What features is it lacking from the pro?

I bought this fork with a bike and it's like Manitou is trying to hide everything about the comp version.
    I would send an e-mail to Manitou. They are very helpful.

Stealth Lurker
    Nov 2011
    I would send an e-mail to Manitou. They are very helpful.
    I did a week ago and they never replied. Can you suggest who to contact that is helpful?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

The comp uses the ACT air system and the absolute+ damper. This is a good solid system. It has no HBO or HSC adjustment. Manitou uses 5 wt motorex oil for the damper and 10w-40w motor oil for the bath oil.

Stealth Lurker
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Trajan View Post
    The comp uses the ACT air system and the absolute+ damper. This is a good solid system. It has no HBO or HSC adjustment. Manitou uses 5 wt motorex oil for the damper and 10w-40w motor oil for the bath oil.
    Thank you! I have a Rocky Mountain Sherpa and I've been trying to get this fork in order. I lost a lot of the oil in the air spring side when trying to do the volume adjustment as described in all of the PR articles ("here's the new fork! It comes on the Sherpa! Here's the cool things you can do with it" - Manitou's New Magnum Fork - Sea Otter 2015 - Pinkbike), which doesn't exist, of course. Neither my direct attempts not my bike shop's attempts have been able to get info, so I've been fairly frustrated with manitou the company.

However, this thread is about impressions of the fork! So here's what I have so far about the COMP version:

The clearance is huge. Noticeably larger than the chain stays on the bike. Maybe 2cm on all sides of the trailblazer.

The fork is much stiffer than the cheaper QR forks I've used in the past.

The air spring seems overly progressive, which is why I wanted to try increasing the air volume. I can get a full 120mm of travel if I let the air out, but at suggested pressures and sag levels, maybe 80mm. I've followed a similar setup to a post on the first page and dropped the pressure some and can use about 100mm of the fork. That's with 25 pounds of bike packing gear and water on single track in Colorado. Putting all of my weight on the handlebars and jumping on it doesn't do any better.

The damper system works as advertised. Rebound damper was set to the middle as a starting point and I haven't seen any reason to change that.

As I drop the pressure more, I keep cranking up the low speed compression to compensate for brake dive, and it's helping without compromising the fork on a fast downhill. I will keep trying this further (I'm on three out of eight clicks) to see if there's a happy spot where I can use the travel in the fork without it being a pogo stick.

"Good solid system" seems like a fair description.

Maybe the more interesting question is how it interacts with fatter tires being run tubeless at low pressures. There's been lots of marketing hyperbole around the need to tune shocks to compensate for this combination. I'm assuming this hasn't been done on the comp version, and I don't know that it matters. The combination just flat out *works*.

I've owned two fat bikes and was hoping to get some of their surefootedness with suspension, and that totally happens. A B+ tire is not a full fat, but it does give a lot of the benefit without most of the downsides. When climbing, the fat tires really help keep traction on the ground even if you cant hit a line perfectly. Descending has this great "I can't be knocked around" feeling. The tires take care of small stuff and hitting things at a weird angle, and the fork takes care of the big hits.

I'm about to set off on an 18 day bike packing trip, and hope to have a better idea after. Right now the only major issues I have are with the company(the most recent service manual posted is from 2012, really?). The product seems good, the idea is perfect, and in the ride is great.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Firstly, sorry to anyone following the thread—I have nothing technically useful to add—but thanks very much for the information so far. It's much appreciated and is hard to come by for this make/model of fork. I have a new Specialized Fuse Expert bike arriving later this week. It comes with the Magnum Comp and I very much appreciate the feedback and advice, especially the last few posts. Hopefully it will help me with setup this weekend. It does seem as though some careful consideration needs to be given to the low-pressure/high-volume tires and how they relate to the fork response. Kept it coming boys/girls! Thanks again.

mtbr member
    Well, if the Comp uses the ACT air system, this is a mix of a coil spring and air pressure. The main spring is the coil with the air pressure acting to add progressiveness. Depending upon how much you weigh, I wonder if you need another spring or if manitou has added a stiffer spring to start with. I don't think you need to add much air to this system. I have attached a picture of what the system looks like.

The ABS+ damper has been around for a number of years and is highly tunable and should work well. Manitou forks do take some time to break in and I would give it 30-50 hours before you start getting more and smoother travel out of it.

Name:  manitousprings.jpg
Views: 4893
Size:  38.6 KB

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Thanks, mate—will have a good look at the diagrams and absorb what I can. FYI I'm 260 pounds without gear

Stealth Lurker
    Nov 2011
    Interesting diagrams! When I took the top off of the spring side, there was a small cap with a depression that was filled with oil. Below that, there appeared to be an air chamber at least 120mm deep with a rod in the center. I did not see a coil, and none of the diagrams there seem to exactly match what I remember. I'm in banff about to start this trip after I get new oil in the fork. I'll see what the mechanic says after the shop opens up here, but I don't have the tools to look again right now.

Paranoid Andriod, I've been running 65PSI with 3 clicks of low speed damper. I weigh 200 and that started feeling good once I added 25 pounds to the bike. It seems like you have to set it with more sag than advised.

mtbr member
    Interesting diagrams! When I took the top off of the spring side, there was a small cap with a depression that was filled with oil. Below that, there appeared to be an air chamber at least 120mm deep with a rod in the center. I did not see a coil, and none of the diagrams there seem to exactly match what I remember. I'm in banff about to start this trip after I get new oil in the fork. I'll see what the mechanic says after the shop opens up here, but I don't have the tools to look again right now.

Paranoid Andriod, I've been running 65PSI with 3 clicks of low speed damper. I weigh 200 and that started feeling good once I added 25 pounds to the bike. It seems like you have to set it with more sag than advised.
    So, that would suggest that the Comp is not an ACT fork. Do you add air to the fork from the top or bottom?

Edit. Look at this site:

Foto: Ausstattung Manitou Magnum Pro / COMP

The table says the Comp is ISO air not ACT air.

Stealth Lurker
    Nov 2011
    Top, there's nothing on the bottom. There's a hole in the lowers that must be for the pro version. I wasn't specifically looking for the coil, so my memory may be a little fuzzy. This would be easier if Manitou would just tell us what we are buying

Stealth Lurker
    Nov 2011
    First off, many thanks to Paul at Outside Bike&Ski in Canmore (down the road from banff) for going out of his way to get this sorted out. Information came via a phone number of a tech at Manitou he got from Rocky Mountain.

The internals are definitely an ISO spring as shown above.

The "spacer" I was talking about is in fact the piston for the air spring. It's not attached to the rod from the lowers which after a few phone calls around sounds like it's as designed.

Lube in the air spring is manitou "prep M", but slick honey should work, and that's what the shop had.

The oil bath in the lowers is ideally 7-8mm of 5w40. Lacking that the shop used 20wt gold fox.

mtbr member
    I just bought a Trek Stache 7 that came with the Comp model fork. There was no manual for the fork and I can't seem to find one on line? Any suggestions?
    Last edited by jpc111; 08-06-2015 at 08:30 PM. Reason: Spelling

mtbr member
    Also, when I install the axle with " this side up" in the up direction, the handle ends up pointing down when closed. I installed it " up side down" and it seemed to work correctly. Any major issue with this approach?

Stealth Lurker
    Nov 2011
    Hi jpc111,
    The only way I was able to get any help from Manitou was to go to a dealer for the bike and have the bike company contact them. There's no manual online. As for setup, I've found a sweet spot for me and am quite happy with the way the fork is working now. As suggested earlier in this thread, it used notably less air pressure than the chart on the stanchion.

Try rotating the handle compared to the axle 180 degrees before you put it in. I think the "this side up" is more to tell you how to align the tab on the bit that causes tension (straight up and down along the fork stanchions) to insert it and not specifically because the hexagonal axle needs to be in any alignment.
    Cheers

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Manitou Magnum 27.5+ and 29+ fork impressions

Try this....

Align arrows.

mtbr member
    Thanks. That worked

mtbr member
    I last rode by Stache 7 on Sunday. Yesterday I noticed the fork seemed soft. I checked and it lost 40 PSI in two days. Has anyone else seen this issue?
    2016 Trek Stache 7 29+
    2012 Trek Madone 4.7

ultra member
    Does anyone here have a stuck HBO knob? Mine does not want to turn without bringing the black high speed compression knob along with it.

ultra member
    Quote Originally Posted by briantortilla View Post
    Does anyone here have a stuck HBO knob? Mine does not want to turn without bringing the black high speed compression knob along with it.
    Called manitou and got the answer. Great customer service BTW! If anyone else has this problem, just lightly crack the bolt that goes through the HBO knob and then snug it up again. The guy who helped me noted that you should not remove the HBO knob or two tiny springs will shoot out and be gone forever.

Sir Shreds-A-Lot
    has anyone weighed a 27.5 pro?
    1985 Trek 670
    2016 Trek Fuel 9.8 27.5
    2017 Trek Domane SL6 Pro
    2017 Trek Crockett

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    does anyone have a 27.5+/Boost Reba? Or atleast a correct picture of it which could be scaled down for comparison with the other 3 forks displayed earlier in this thread?
    I was told by bike24 support that they're not meant for 29+ wheels and proper forks for that wheel size are in the making, but maybe they'll fit after all, just like the Fox?

The MTB Lab
    Quote Originally Posted by obs08 View Post
    has anyone weighed a 27.5 pro?
    Magnum Pro 2071 grams

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Is it possible to service the fork yourself, like a fox/rockshox?
    Lower leg service, change oil & seals?
    Anyone tried?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    MTB Pilot is yours the 29+ 120 Pro model?
    You say it's over 2300g.
    Every where else it says it's 2070g.
    Manitou Magnum 34 Pro 110 mm - Amortyzatory przednie - Rowerowa waga

Are you using the fork Now?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yamaha46 View Post
    Is it possible to service the fork yourself, like a fox/rockshox?
    Lower leg service, change oil & seals?
    Anyone tried?
    The fork is basically a Mattoc. It is very easy to service and change the oil and seals. Look at the Mattoc service videos - they most likely will be identical.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Does look very similar to the Mattoc thanks.

I'll probably end up getting the Magnum pro for my Stache 5.
    Just the sizing question, 100mm or 120mm.
    The 100mm is listed at 530 a2c, so same as Trek's 110 at 531 a2c. How??
    Where as the 120mm is listed at 550 or more a2c.

Would default to the 120mm as longer as normally better, and if running more sag a2c might be closer.
    The other thing is "MTB Pilot" saying the weight is over 2300g for the 120. But the Trek 110 seams to be 2050g, so like to clear that up?

I don't really want a Fox from experience.
    A 29+ Pike would be an option. 2016 Boost pike is announced (would it fit 29+?).
    When will the 2016 Pikes be released?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    What kind of tire clearance is there? The new fox 34 B+ fork can fit a 26x4 inch tire on 65mm rim. Could the Manitou fork fit a tire of that size?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mattgVT View Post
    What kind of tire clearance is there? The new fox 34 B+ fork can fit a 26x4 inch tire on 65mm rim. Could the Manitou fork fit a tire of that size?
    It can take a 29 x 3.4 tire so I guess a 26 x 4" tire would work

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Can anyone confirm the weight of the pro 29+ 120 version.
    Here the trek 110 pro with axle is 2050g:

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Can anyone confirm the weight of the pro 29+ 120 version.
    Here the trek 110 pro with axle is 2050g:
    2116g on my digital scales with a 170mm steerer, and axle.

If you are in the UK, I am selling mine as it goes. 120mm Pro as above.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    thanks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by tim.johnston View Post
    2116g on my digital scales with a 170mm steerer, and axle.

If you are in the UK, I am selling mine as it goes. 120mm Pro as above.
    I may be interested.
    pm sent.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Hi tim, interested to read about your setup. i'm also finding the fork a bit harsh/dead. I haven't adjusted the volume spacers yet, but think i may need to as the fork falls through it's travel too quickly. Did you mount all the spacers above the air piston? anything to be aware of when opening the fork up? what do you weigh if you dont mind my asking?

cheers

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jakehogg450 View Post
    Hi tim, interested to read about your setup. i'm also finding the fork a bit harsh/dead. I haven't adjusted the volume spacers yet, but think i may need to as the fork falls through it's travel too quickly. Did you mount all the spacers above the air piston? anything to be aware of when opening the fork up? what do you weigh if you dont mind my asking?

cheers
    Be sure to take all the air out before you do, as otherwise it will fire off into the air like a rocket. I changed mine around so often that I forgot once and it nearly took my eye out!

Tried all the positions above and below. Mine out of the box had the opposite problem of not wanting to give up much travel at all. Anyway, its a funny old fork, not sure it feels the same each time to be honest, it seems to get worse as the ride progresses some times, and others it has periods of feeling really good, can't work it out.

I'm 180 pounds all geared up to ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    thanks, i'll bear that in mind. sounds a bit like your fork might be leaking air across into the negative chamber as time/ride goes on. Might explain the change in fork feel. they should be balanced as standard. only other tip is to make sure the fork legs are fully extended by pulling them slightly with the bike inverted before removing the shock pump, when changing air settings. good luck anyway.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Good point, I made sure I did that, but not always. I'm on the Fox 27.5+ now anyway, but may not sell the Magnum after all and use it on another bike. In its favour it is the only suspension fork I have that will take the Bulldozer 3.25.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Actually now you mention the air leaking across, I do have the rubber washer in the top of the air cap all squished and irregular. This I assume makes sure the double chamber valve does not press on the cap itself. Will investigate, thanks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Hey Tim, how do you find the stiffness of the fox compared to the magnum?

Standing in front of the bike with the wheel between your legs and twisting the bars I thought the magnum resisted twisting well.
    This would be partly down to the hexagonal axle. Interesting to see how the fox compares, especially as it's lighter.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Hey Tim, how do you find the stiffness of the fox compared to the magnum?

Standing in front of the bike with the wheel between your legs and twisting the bars I thought the magnum resisted twisting well.
    This would be partly down to the hexagonal axle. Interesting to see how the fox compares, especially as it's lighter.
    Nothing in it really, not that I can tell. Don't have the magnum mounted at the moment, but will test if I get them running at the same time. I do remember thinking the Magnum was a tiny bit more flexy than a pike when I first got it, but to be honest all these 34/35 mm forks are more than stiff enough for me, happy with either.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I altered the volume spacers at the weekend, by moving another token above the air piston (3 above) to get more progression. It made the fork quite a bit harder at the end of the stroke which was better, but also affected the low speed small bump sensitivity adversely. Think i may need to come down on the air pressure to remedy that.

Trying to find a setting that will retain great small bump sensitivity (which you need with plus tyres) without the fork falling through it's midstroke to easily under load into a harsh final portion.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    ^Are you having luck setting up the fork?

mtbr member
    Nov 2014

Name:	29+ forks.jpg 
Views:	4078 
Size:	241.3 KB 
ID:	1002377
    Looking for someone with a better pixel gauge than mine
    Measured the upcoming McQueen: McQueen RC HLR in picture viewer and there was enough clearance for a 29+ wheel (more than on the new Reba), but an XF representative said it's not compatible when I asked them. Double check me please?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Wrong thread dude!

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    my question directly relates to ya29er's post which was here

mtbr member
    I just put a Magnum Pro 100 on my Krampus.
    I have been riding a rigid Pugsley for the last 4 yrs, and am not in good enough shape to really push the fork.
    That said, the fork does have a ton of adjustment, I am still playing with everything except air pressure (sag set @ 25mm). It is plenty stiff, my aforementioned Pugsley's rigid fork is a noodle in comparison.
    Assuming it is durable, I am sure it will meet my needs, once I get the knobs and dials figured out.

mtbr member
    Did anyone else with the 120mm 29+ Magnum Pro receive a spacer kit in the box? Did the fork also have a decal stating there was internal travel adjustment? I was stoked to see this but the internal diagrams included with the kit had me scratching my head a bit so I reached out to Manitou who confirmed only the 80/100 travel can be changed. 120 29+ is fixed. Guess they shipped out a batch with the incorrect stickers and added parts? Was kind of excited about the prospect of reducing the travel on it since I was concerned the ATC was a bit high for my upcoming Gnarvester build.

Did confirm the Mattoc tear down procedures are the same for the Magnum Pro, in case anyone was curious.
    Signature

Rocks belong
    Quote Originally Posted by mattgVT View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Trajan View Post
    It can take a 29 x 3.4 tire so I guess a 26 x 4" tire would work
    Would love more clarity on these!
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

Short-Change-Hero
    Anyone happen to have a 27.5+ version at 140mm with a standard 29er tire (say 2.3 or 2.4") mounted? Really thinking about getting one at the end of the year to replace my 140mm Dual Air Revy but curious to see what ride characteristics are like and what not.

Short-Change-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by Junior Varsity View Post
    Manitou Magnum Pro 29+

Travel / A-C

100mm / 530.5mm
    120mm / 550.5mm

Trek has a custom 110mm travel with a A-C of 531 to account for the specific 3.0" tire they are using.

Manitou Magnum Pro 27.5+

Travel / A-C

120mm / 527mm
    140mm / 547mm
    So curious..... The 120mm 29+ A-C is only 3.5mm different than the 140mm 27.5+ A-C? What does this actually mean?

Short-Change-Hero
    Well looks like I will be getting the 120mm 27.5+ Magnum Pro in the near future. Will mainly be running a dedicated 29er standard tire and rim.

mtbr member
    Is anyone else getting a decent amount of oil out of the air valve when the unscrew the cap? I understand due to the oil bath and air valve at the bottom, but I've had an older Reba with the second air chamber on the bottom and I don't recall anything coming out with this sort of volume.
    Signature

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast