Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    western NC
    ^^Ha ha, thanks guys. Yeah I'll give them a call tomorrow and see what to do. If it doesn't do 100% lockout, then sadly it probably won't work for my application. Wish I had done more research and known that before buying now. Hell, my low end Machete locks 100%, not sure why they'd make a fork these days that doesn't to be honest. But, I'll decide once it's working properly.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    When I do wheel stands on my fork it will drop 1/2" is about all. So, yeah not 100% but 95%, yes. My fork is 140mm travel.
    Once you get sorted you will have a better idea of its performance.
    Hafta say, my comp has been silky sweet and trouble free thus far.

Would I change it out for another, perhaps buuut, if the A/C is not the same or slightly more, deal broken...
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

Australia
    Quote Originally Posted by BansheeRune View Post
    I think it's Bataleon's fault!!
    haha
    29+ Stache

western NC
    Good to hear BR, 1/2" I think I can live with. Mine was moving about 1.5 - 2 inches or so today. On a SS that's a lot of wasted energy.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Had to give ya a hard time Bataleon... roflmao

HPI, the lost energy while going for pivots just makes getting through tight places more difficult. You'd be amazed how often I ride locked out.
    The amount of drop for ya might be more than what i'm experiencing cause you weigh 210 and I'm 160. My fork is @ 60 psi so it's plush when it's open.

Let's hope you get sorted quickly and are out playing sooner than later.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HPIguy View Post
    Well, I think I got a bad fork. Reading through the manual, I'm supposed to have 5 clicks of IPA adjustment, I only have three. HBO is supposed to also have five clicks, I only have 4. Looks like I get to get in touch with Manitou tomorrow.
    Keep us posted as to their response.

western NC
    Quote Originally Posted by ghughes.hesinc View Post
    Keep us posted as to their response.
    Will do for sure. I've called once, no answer and no machine to leave a message.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Try emailing. They usually respond within a day and are really helpful.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD so please forgive the typos that occur when typing with two fingers.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

western NC
    Thanks Cary. I finally got in touch with them. Sent off my proof of purchase, and waiting to hear back from them.

western NC
    Well, I got my RMA#, and apparently I have to pay to ship their defective 2 day old fork back to them. That does not sit well with me, at all.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    HPI, had you contacted the folks you bought the fork from? Perhaps they would supply an advance replacement...

It's a real shame that the forks today have a press fitted steer... Then an advance replacement would be more palatable to the vendor.
    Doctor recommended...

Australia
    Well, I got my RMA#, and apparently I have to pay to ship their defective 2 day old fork back to them. That does not sit well with me, at all.
    It seems to be common practice in the industry and I agree, it's b***s***. I had to pay for postage to send my practically new brakes back and then pay for a shop to cut/bleed/install them (I did it myself, but that's besides the point). It's the equivalent of the engine in my car blowing up and VW shipping me a new one on a pallet and saying "oh yeah, now you need to find yourself a mechanic and pay him to fit it." It just wouldn't happen.
    29+ Stache

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    So, I got to ride the new fork today for the first time. A few things I noticed;

1. I'm about 210lbs geared up, started at 90psi, then dropped to 80psi, then finally to 70psi and I'm still not using anywhere near full travel (even on jumps) and the fork feels harsh.

2. Lockout...is there no actual lockout on this thing? I played with the IPA and low speed compression both, and still get about 1-1.5 inches of travel in the firmest setting on standing climbing.
    Quote Originally Posted by bataleon View Post
    It seems to be common practice in the industry and I agree, it's b***s***. I had to pay for postage to send my practically new brakes back and then pay for a shop to cut/bleed/install them (I did it myself, but that's besides the point). It's the equivalent of the engine in my car blowing up and VW shipping me a new one on a pallet and saying "oh yeah, now you need to find yourself a mechanic and pay him to fit it." It just wouldn't happen.

That's what you get for letting the timing belt break! 3 of 5 valve get broken off in each hole!! Frick, I hate those lil bastages!!!
    Doctor recommended...

Australia
    LOL! I sense anger. Something tells me you've experienced the unfortunate event yourself.
    29+ Stache

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    I'm a retired mechanic... How many times I've had to overhaul those poorly designed cylinder heads... I'll take a chevy LS V8 over a VW!
    Doctor recommended...

Australia
    Fair call!
    29+ Stache

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Book time is 10 hours on those damn things. A rubber band on a zero clearance engine, PoS.
    Doctor recommended...

western NC
    Interference heads, we've had them since the 60's I think. BUT, the auto industry won't use them because then they can't hammer you when timing belt fails.

I did not contact the bike shop I bought the fork from, because they are out of stock, all the time. If I had ridden the fork for a month or two and something failed, it would be a different story on my end. But something that never should have passed QC is a completely different deal, at least in my eyes. But, it is what it is, I'll get it shipped out and fixed, and move on.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Actually, the auto industry does use em, unfortunately with rubber band drive.

As for the for the fork, was a turnaround thing I was thinkin...

Needless to say, hope you find the repair or replacement to meet your expectations and take you on many adventures!
    Doctor recommended...

western NC
    A lot of cars don't use them though, and we all know why. It's a price gouging thing. My Mitsubishi didn't for sure, lots of complaints about it on forums.

I'm sure they'll take care of it, thanks BR.

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    What's the hatred for timing belts??? Except in some European imports, they aren't bad to do at all. Extremely common honestly. Well used to be, seeing them less and less on newer cars. Chrysler/Mitsubishi is still stuck on them as of last check (not sure about the latest models)

And ya there are plenty that have interference heads.

Thing is they don't fail if you do proper maintanence. Supposed to be changed under 100k.

The only stupid design ones are those that have the water pump driven off them.

Timing chain systems on overhead cam engines aren't much better. A lot of extra bs in there to guide the chain (don't forget dual chain set ups or engines with balance shafts). Use cheap grade oil/slack off at all on oil changes and parts fail. It's not like the timing chains of old.

Truly I miss most smaller engines using timing belts, so much easier to deal with and get a lot less dirty changing them.

On topic, hope all goes well with the forks. I do think the whole thing of you have to pay for everything up front kind of sucks but as I well know, people will cry warranty problem because the part requires reading a manual and setting up. Obviously not the case for you but it's a massive issue. Look at all the threads that 2 seconds with Google will answer 10x on the first page.

I'm betting that when they see a real warranty issue that they will make it up to you. Manitou is great like that.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

US partner for ITUO and Ravemen:
    www.rakcindustries.com

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Gear drive supersedes belts every day in every way!

Pfft! Peeps that don't wanna go through the setup process and fine tune are barking up the wrong tree. As for warranty issues, when it happens to be bad out of the box, a top shelf manufacturer should simply make arrangements for advance replacement and ship with the advance replacement a call tag for the return of the faulty component.
    Frankly, I rep a long list of products that range in price from $1 to well in excess of $100k and those manufacturers will do an advance replacement at the drop of a hat. While the previous statement is not intended as a jab at Manitou, it is simply a statement of rep your client... Yes, each one of us is, indeed a client to these manufacturers! The manufacturers would really gain some brand loyalty from their clients, where if we are simply customers, not so much.
    Doctor recommended...

western NC
    BR, this has been my experience with manufacturers other industries actually. Perhaps it's just that biking is a small niche market thing, I don't know. Either way, I'm sure Manitou will make it right, and I'll love it as much as the rest of you once it's functioning properly.

And I'm that weirdo that bought a fork with all those adjustments on it for that reason, and read the manual before installing it. Anyone that doesn't spend the time to really dial in their suspension is missing out, big time.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Bike nerd!!

Manitou will take care of ya, with out a doubt. But with the kinda coin they extract from our wallets we have earned the opportunity to be represented, hence the term "client".

The Magnum does have some nice adjustment features, in that each click of the compression or rebound knob makes a noticeable change.
    Rather nice that you realize a minor adjustment actually did something. Yeah, I've come to appreciate Sarge's fork and its performance.
    Doctor recommended...

western NC
    Bike nerd!!
    (raises hand) You called? I also changed the volume spacers in the Fox stuff on my squishy bike, and put a Motion Control damper in a coil sprung XC32. That XC32 felt damn good!

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    As a matter of fact... With a collection of 14 bikes, well, it takes one to know one. There are 3 custom Turners and a buncha others...
    My name is BansheeRune and I'm a bikeaholiic...
    Doctor recommended...

Australia
    I got some interesting info from both SRAM and Manitou yesterday. They must hate me with the amount of emails I send them... The Pike weighs a fair bit more than the Pro. I didn't expect there to be such a big difference between the two.

29+ Pike 2165g

29+ Magnum Pro 2026g
    29+ Stache

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Lemme get this straight... You're watching a +bike's figure??? Pfft!!

*takes Sarge out for a ride*
    Doctor recommended...

Australia
    Haha, yeah yeah. I'm no weight weenie but find that info interesting nonetheless.
    29+ Stache

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Any word on availability?

Australia
    I assume you mean on the Pike? Still no definitive answer from them. No no no no is what they say.
    29+ Stache

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bataleon View Post
    Haha, yeah yeah. I'm no weight weenie but find that info interesting nonetheless.
    It's amazing how different they can be. Wouldn't think there would be much difference in weight.

Mmmm, vaporware!!
    Doctor recommended...

Australia
    Yeah, interesting as they're both the premium offering from the respective companies. I could understand if the Yari was 2165g.

Like you said though, bloody vaporware. It might as well weigh 10,000g. It makes no difference if you can't buy it.
    29+ Stache

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    It's ironic since there are two conglomerates that are competing against one another. Sram and Hayes have nearly sewn up the market after buying up the various manufacturers that once stood on their own merit.

A major flaw in marketing these days is to let the cat outta the bag before production begins to give the average mountain biker a big boner for that new item and get a feel for production volume. Are the marketing guys watching places like the one we're posting in, you bet!
    Doctor recommended...

gone walk about
    It's ironic since there are two conglomerates that are competing against one another. Sram and Hayes have nearly sewn up the market after buying up the various manufacturers that once stood on their own merit.

A major flaw in marketing these days is to let the cat outta the bag before production begins to give the average mountain biker a big boner for that new item and get a feel for production volume. Are the marketing guys watching places like the one we're posting in, you bet!
    yer such a kidder..
    "ORANGE IS THE NEW BLACK"

western NC
    Bataleon, that's pretty interesting about the weights between the two. Meh, if I was a weight weenie, I'd have stuck with the Machete 32 the bike came with. And as I've stated before, it is NOT a bad fork at all. I was actually shocked for a base model fork. But, I'm a bigger guy, I come from a moto background, and tend to ride the downhills sections pretty hard. I simply wanted the adjustments, and especially the HBO setup. Hopefully I'm as enamored with it as the rest of you once a properly functioning unit gets back to me. Hopefully sometime next week.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    McQueen is actually lighter than Machete, despite having 34mm legs

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    Why did a Pixar race car make it into this convo???? (Sorry I have kids and those movies are awesome )

www.rakcindustries.com

western NC

Manitou Magnum 27.5+ and 29+ fork impressions

Quote Originally Posted by bruto View Post
    McQueen is actually lighter than Machete, despite having 34mm legs
    McQueen isn't 29+, which is what I have.

And yes, the movies were good.

western NC
    So, I got my fork back from Manitou today. There was a note saying they replaced the compression damper, and serviced the fork. Turnaround time was really fast, but apparently, done fast doesn't mean done right. The adjusters still don't work properly. And they feel like crap, they feel gritty and cheap. Not what a high end fork should be at all. They also kept the original box, shoved everything in a plain brown box, wrinkled all my stickers (I sent everything that came with it in case they had to replace it), and they DID NOT fix my fork. I'm done with Manitou, and wish I had never purchased this thing in the first place. Everybody makes mistakes, it happens. How you handle those mistakes is what matters, and they failed, miserably. This was my first, and last Manitou purchase.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    McQueen can be made 29+ by putting a 10mm (or bigger) travel spacer under the bottom-out bumper
    The arch already cleared the wheel (tested with Bomboloni on a 50mm rim) and this mod is just enough to make the crown clear the wheel at full compression and avoid surprise braking
    You may have to adjust air spring volume, but otherwise it's a 110-130mm fork for me now

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    Well it sounds like you don't know what your using. They replaced the damper assembly which is what the knobs attach to.

And you say high end fork, you bought the machete, not the magnum. You bought the second cheapest plus for out there (second only to suntour)

That said screwing up your stickers and such is total crap.

www.rakcindustries.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by RAKC Ind View Post
    Well it sounds like you don't know what your using. They replaced the damper assembly which is what the knobs attach to.

And you say high end fork, you bought the machete, not the magnum. You bought the second cheapest plus for out there (second only to suntour)

That said screwing up your stickers and such is total crap.

You're a little off... He had the Machete (OEM) on his 17 Stache 5. He bought the (unobtanium) 120mm Magnum Pro. High end definitely!

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    Ok ya I made that mistake.

But then now that actually means there was nothing wrong with the damper. He's reading the manual as all lines on the graphs are clicks and that's not the case. First one is always 0 position.

The gritty feeling you have multiple dial adjusts over lapping each other with check balls for "clicks". As soon as wind blows dust on them they will feel "gritty". Has nothing on do with being cheap. Just different.

But the stuff with the box and trashing his stickers again was total BS.

Go back, read the manuals again, realize that as is stated on the manuals there the first line (usually the thick black one in this case) is 0 position. As in zero clicks. Leaving you with only 3-4 clicks depending on the knob. Nothing wrong with the fork at all.

www.rakcindustries.com

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    So, I got my fork back from Manitou today. There was a note saying they replaced the compression damper, and serviced the fork. Turnaround time was really fast, but apparently, done fast doesn't mean done right. The adjusters still don't work properly. And they feel like crap, they feel gritty and cheap. Not what a high end fork should be at all. They also kept the original box, shoved everything in a plain brown box, wrinkled all my stickers (I sent everything that came with it in case they had to replace it), and they DID NOT fix my fork. I'm done with Manitou, and wish I had never purchased this thing in the first place. Everybody makes mistakes, it happens. How you handle those mistakes is what matters, and they failed, miserably. This was my first, and last Manitou purchase.
    Time for a call in to Manitou and an ass chewing to ensue...

My comp 140mm has been flawless. Adjusters are smooth as silk with definitive detents.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Time for a call in to Manitou and an ass chewing to ensue...

My comp 140mm has been flawless. Adjusters are smooth as silk with definitive detents.
    I agree. I just picked up my 17 Stache 7. Even with only 2 rides so far, I have no reason to doubt the 120mm comp. It feels great.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiller15 View Post
    I agree. I just picked up my 17 Stache 7. Even with only 2 rides so far, I have no reason to doubt the 120mm comp. It feels great.
    Sarge has been haunting the trails in prime mountain bike habitat for a year with the comp 140. Still no gritty feel in any area of the fork. This is indeed what lead me to believe Manitou is working hard to resolve issues from their past. The Magnum has been impressive for it's price and quality.

If I were HPI, I would contact Manitou and insist on a replacement as opposed to refurbishment of the original. One would think that Manitou would be in agreement in order to alleviate a bad reputation from manifesting.

Manitou Magnum 27.5+ and 29+ fork impressions-img_0766.jpg
    Sarge jonesin a trail new year's week in Arizona. Refreshing, indeed!
    Doctor recommended...

western NC
    I love how someone halfway around the internet can diagnose my fork and tell that it's working fine having never even seen it. All along assuming I'm some mechanically challenged noob who never bothers to read documentation or setup sheets. I'm very mechanically inclined, I've worked in bike shops, I DO read documentation and setup sheets and I know when something isn't working as it should. You can start at 0, 137, or whatever number you choose, but there should still be five distinct positions for each of those adjusters including your starting position. Neither of mine (IPA and HBO) have that, they grind to a halt before the last click, detent, or whatever the hell "different" adjusters that Manitou used in this case. Also, sometimes mine click, sometimes they don't (meaning they don't stop at any preset position as they should) and you can't really tell what position they're in because of that. I'm telling you, the adjusters on my particular fork feel like they belong on a kids bike at Walmart. They are shit, period. My Fox, Rockshox, hell even my Suntour forks that had click adjusters did just that; they click audibly and lock into position as they should. I'm questioning whether they did anything at all to my fork, as it's exactly the same as when I sent it to them last week.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Sarge has been haunting the trails in prime mountain bike habitat for a year with the comp 140. Still no gritty feel in any area of the fork. This is indeed what lead me to believe Manitou is working hard to resolve issues from their past. The Magnum has been impressive for it's price and quality.

If I were HPI, I would contact Manitou and insist on a replacement as opposed to refurbishment of the original. One would think that Manitou would be in agreement in order to alleviate a bad reputation from manifesting.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0766.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	219.0 KB 
ID:	1128813
    Sarge jonesin a trail new year's week in Arizona. Refreshing, indeed!
    Nice- so the comp on the 2017 stache 7 should be good to go? I wish there were more reviews on it. Love that green.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    That sucks- definitely call them back to make things right. Would love to finish hearing about how your setup goes.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast