Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 301 to 328 of 328
  1. #301
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    379
    I have a Magnum Pro spring assembly here (doesn't fit my Comp, unfortunately
    Spacers made for X-fusion forks almost fit, but they're made for a 9mm rod

    Manitou Magnum 27.5+ and 29+ fork impressions-magnum.jpg

    Left is bottom (valve), right is top (piston)
    Spacer at the left location limits compression and keeps the A2C length, remains static on the rod so it can be made tight

    Spacer at the right location limits extension and reduces A2C, as well as negative spring volume
    You may want to chisel it out in the latter case if you don't want to reduce the negative chamber volume too much
    In this case, spacer also has to slide up and down the rod freely, so a loose fit and lubrication are necessary

  2. #302
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    165
    Thanks!

  3. #303
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    37
    I have a 2017 Stache 7 with a Manitou Comp fork. I'm running about 10psi less than Manitou's recommendation but only getting 90mm of travel (120mm fork). I weigh 200 lbs. Any suggestions from the experts? Thanks

  4. #304
    RAKC Industries
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    2,030
    Let the air out of it then make sure it compresses all but about the last 10mm. Also if your light weight the negative spring will suck up some of the travel when sitting unloaded (psi not high enough to fully compress negative spring).

    Best to fully compress the forks with no pressure and use a zip tie (or sharpie works too) to see where forks stop. Then air it up where you would and should get about 110-115mm (you dont actually get 120, the bottom out bumper takes up some of it). If not add pressure to see if fork extends further.

    Also is that just checking it after riding? Nothing wrong with not using some of your travel if the fork is fine. Just means you havent hit anything hard enough to compress it that much. Running plus tires you use up less travel than normal since they absorb more of the initial impact. Manitou damper and iso air spring (style used in comp version) are pretty hard to bottom out unless the damper is full open and takes a solid hit.

    And ignore the chart, just completely ignore it. Im a clyde and on that air spring I was WAY below it for my weight to get sag in the range I wanted. Make sure to set it standing up, bars un weighted.

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

    US partner for Ravemen:
    www.rakclighting.com

  5. #305
    Rippin da fAt
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    4,588
    Quote Originally Posted by Lookbiker View Post
    I have a 2017 Stache 7 with a Manitou Comp fork. I'm running about 10psi less than Manitou's recommendation but only getting 90mm of travel (120mm fork). I weigh 200 lbs. Any suggestions from the experts? Thanks
    Let air out, turn the bike upside down and cycle the fork a few times. Turn it back upright and pump it up. This will bleed the internals and make a difference.
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

  6. #306
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    41
    Can anyone tell me if the Manitou Magnum 29+ Comp or Pro has a lockout?

  7. #307
    Rippin da fAt
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    4,588
    My Comp has a lockout on it. It's been reliable thus far. Would hafta look into the pro...
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

  8. #308
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    121
    Grease your fork seals. They may not need replacement, but they may be dry.
    Fox and Shox use a foam wiper, Manitou uses a "seal".
    I put new, pre-greased seals in my Comp and damn was that slick!

  9. #309
    The MTB Lab
    Reputation: pastajet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    2,436
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Kirkwood View Post
    Can anyone tell me if the Manitou Magnum 29+ Comp or Pro has a lockout?
    The pro has a lockout, you just turn the MC2 low-speed adjuster to it max.

  10. #310
    RAKC Industries
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    2,030
    Hey guys, just snagged a used pro off ebay with a "short" steerer thats actually almost dead on for my set up. So got it CHEAP. Should be here in a few days.

    Can anyone give me a crash course on set up, issues, etc? Too much stuff to try and read and pick through to get the info I need.

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

    US partner for Ravemen:
    www.rakclighting.com

  11. #311
    Rippin da fAt
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    4,588
    Quote Originally Posted by GuzziBen View Post
    Grease your fork seals. They may not need replacement, but they may be dry.
    Fox and Shox use a foam wiper, Manitou uses a "seal".
    I put new, pre-greased seals in my Comp and damn was that slick!
    Slick Honey for the win...
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

  12. #312
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    41
    Pastajet - thanks. Does the low speed adjuster actually lock out the fork or is there still some travel left when in the max position?

  13. #313
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ghughes.hesinc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    456
    Quote Originally Posted by RAKC Ind View Post
    Hey guys, just snagged a used pro off ebay with a "short" steerer thats actually almost dead on for my set up. So got it CHEAP. Should be here in a few days.

    Can anyone give me a crash course on set up, issues, etc? Too much stuff to try and read and pick through to get the info I need.

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Take the time...your set up will be unique to YOU.

    https://wwwmanitoumtbcom-ct78ltl6iyp...etup-guide.pdf

    https://wwwmanitoumtbcom-ct78ltl6iyp...User-Guide.pdf

  14. #314
    RAKC Industries
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    2,030
    Oh i know it will be very unique lol. Not my first manitou fork, just my first fork with all this going on. Setting air upside down, 3 different dials on the damper (not counting rebound), etc.

    Had a marvel pro before, the stiction and poor small bump compliance was annoying. This fork appears to be better in every way for how I ride.

    Ive been reading the tuning info and trying to pick useful info out of this thread. Just hard to do.

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

    US partner for Ravemen:
    www.rakclighting.com

  15. #315
    RAKC Industries
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    2,030
    Got new to me magnum now.

    Serviced lowers, moved volume spacers. First ride in a couple hours.

    I have to say this flip the fork and pull up thing is freaking annoying. Such a pain in the rear.

    Loving having a lockout style platform vs the old way with ABS+. Can have it without screwing up the rest of how the damper performs.

    Fork feels plush and smooth, loving that. Better small bump coming, i feel it. Finally.

    Wish the guy hadnt cut the steerer so stupidly short, but for the price ($275) I just got bars with a bit more rise.

    Check back after I get first ride in later on. First impressions though on even a used one is awesome!

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

    US partner for Ravemen:
    www.rakclighting.com

  16. #316
    Rippin da fAt
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    4,588
    Quote Originally Posted by RAKC Ind View Post
    Got new to me magnum now.

    Serviced lowers, moved volume spacers. First ride in a couple hours.

    I have to say this flip the fork and pull up thing is freaking annoying. Such a pain in the rear.

    Loving having a lockout style platform vs the old way with ABS+. Can have it without screwing up the rest of how the damper performs.

    Fork feels plush and smooth, loving that. Better small bump coming, i feel it. Finally.

    Wish the guy hadnt cut the steerer so stupidly short, but for the price ($275) I just got bars with a bit more rise.

    Check back after I get first ride in later on. First impressions though on even a used one is awesome!

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    The only thing I don't care for with my Magnum is the QR axle having the hex on it and being somewhat fiddly. nearing two years of service and it has been actually very reliable. Sarge has the Magnum and the Wildcat has a Pike and so far both are very nicely performing.
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

  17. #317
    RAKC Industries
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    2,030
    I see the hex but dont get the point behind it, figured the skewer thing out no problem. Better check on what yoyr referring to before hitting the dirt ....

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

    US partner for Ravemen:
    www.rakclighting.com

  18. #318
    Rippin da fAt
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    4,588
    Quote Originally Posted by RAKC Ind View Post
    I see the hex but dont get the point behind it, figured the skewer thing out no problem. Better check on what yoyr referring to before hitting the dirt ....

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    It's just annoying when it doesn't align just so and I cannot get the QR to operate properly. I don't experience this with the Pike, but the Magnum is a lil fiddly at times. Would be nice if there was something there to grip to give it that lil spin to get it lined up by braille. :/
    Otherwise, the magnum has been awesome.
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

  19. #319
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ghughes.hesinc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    456
    Quote Originally Posted by BansheeRune View Post
    It's just annoying when it doesn't align just so and I cannot get the QR to operate properly. I don't experience this with the Pike, but the Magnum is a lil fiddly at times. Would be nice if there was something there to grip to give it that lil spin to get it lined up by braille. :/
    Otherwise, the magnum has been awesome.
    I had the same issues with my Magnum... Went with one of these https://www.niagaracycle.com/categor...saAgrFEALw_wcB

    All good now!

  20. #320
    RAKC Industries
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    2,030
    Ok found the finicky part. Is a bit of a pain in the rear when you dont get it right first try.

    Have to say I really like the forks. So plush but controlled. Didnt use near as much of my travel as I expected. Got some tweaking to do. But too Im used to the fork it replaced and had to ride in a manner it could handle. Plus now I am playing with a dropper so thats changing how much my forks get worked.

    Try cutting back on volume spacer then playing with damper settings more.

    But i freaking LOVE THIS THING. So much better than their marvel pro i had on my 29er.

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

    US partner for Ravemen:
    www.rakclighting.com

  21. #321
    Rippin da fAt
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    4,588
    Quote Originally Posted by ghughes.hesinc View Post
    I had the same issues with my Magnum... Went with one of these https://www.niagaracycle.com/categor...saAgrFEALw_wcB

    All good now!
    Might hafta look into that axle. Thankya for the link...

    Quote Originally Posted by RAKC Ind View Post
    Ok found the finicky part. Is a bit of a pain in the rear when you dont get it right first try.

    Have to say I really like the forks. So plush but controlled. Didnt use near as much of my travel as I expected. Got some tweaking to do. But too Im used to the fork it replaced and had to ride in a manner it could handle. Plus now I am playing with a dropper so thats changing how much my forks get worked.

    Try cutting back on volume spacer then playing with damper settings more.

    But i freaking LOVE THIS THING. So much better than their marvel pro i had on my 29er.

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    I've had great service with the Magnum. Only issue has been the QR axle being a lil finicky.
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

  22. #322
    RAKC Industries
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    2,030
    I only used 100mm last night so about right for the trails I rode. Forks came set at 130mm.

    Sometime in the next few days Ill hit some rougher trails to see how the fork handles something more challenging.

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

    US partner for Ravemen:
    www.rakclighting.com

  23. #323
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    493
    Nice upgrade RAKC! I'm jealous, got the Magnum Comp. like it a lot. Use about 100mm out of 120mm on my fuse. Droppers are a necessity, good stuff.

  24. #324
    RAKC Industries
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    2,030
    Lol thnx. Couldnt pass it up for perfect condition for $275 to my door. The Raidon was holding me back and had to go.

    "Life" has kept me from going out to put it through the paces yet though My trails are mostly mellow unless i want to hit black diamonds as I dont due big jumps.

    Droppers, hell yes they are, Im an idiot for being "against their need" for so long. Not needed for basic riding but if you really want to have fun playing on tech, dropper and a good fork make life SO MUCH BETTER. Even a cheap gravity dropper clone works for now.

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

    US partner for Ravemen:
    www.rakclighting.com

  25. #325
    WNC Native
    Reputation: nitrousjunky's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    3,306
    Has anyone on here ran a 29" setup in the 27.5 Magnum? If so how big of a tire did you run?
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

  26. #326
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    379
    nothing knobby, I'd bet
    I ran 29+ in a McQueen and there was no mud clearance to speak of

    and you may have to limit travel at the bottom (I had to with my fork)

  27. #327
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    215
    I couldn't run it, but set in a 9x100 hub, I28 29er with DHF 2.5. Unable to check it out with fork bottomed, but clearance all around. I will be getting a set of I35 29er boost wheels.

  28. #328
    WNC Native
    Reputation: nitrousjunky's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    3,306
    Quote Originally Posted by WMBigs View Post
    I couldn't run it, but set in a 9x100 hub, I28 29er with DHF 2.5. Unable to check it out with fork bottomed, but clearance all around. I will be getting a set of I35 29er boost wheels.
    I was thinking you should be able to run that very tire and possibly some of the 2.6s.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Similar Threads

  1. Worth it to rebuild a 95' Manitou Magnum?
    By Gordon_075 in forum Shocks and Suspension
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-08-2015, 07:51 PM
  2. Manitou Magnum & Bucksaw?
    By R3D2 in forum Fat bikes
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-14-2015, 06:55 AM
  3. ID Manitou Magnum Year Please
    By cowboy don in forum Vintage, Retro, Classic
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-01-2015, 05:51 AM
  4. 2000 Manitou Magnum upgrade
    By mass-hole in forum Shocks and Suspension
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-31-2012, 01:05 AM
  5. '01 Manitou Magnum servicing
    By bikingmat in forum Shocks and Suspension
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-12-2012, 12:43 PM

Members who have read this thread: 288

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •