Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    WNC Native
    Quote Originally Posted by sandwich View Post
    Any news on the alloy version?
    They are accepting pre-orders right now, saying fall-end of the year at the latest on delivery.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    aye, but little in the way of details. would be nice to...you know...see it.

WNC Native

Here's the only pic I've seen so far.

Introducing the Carver Gnarvester!-al-gnarvester.jpg
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

web-footed pedaler
    Aug 2011
    Any news on the alloy version?
    It's seems to be in the works. I'm hoping to get some time on one fairly soon and post a review on MTBVT.com.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    nice, please do!

Yes, I've seen that photo, but there's little accompanying data, did they make any changes to the ti version? did they change any bracing for aluminum? I'm just curious. It looks like a rad bike, and the vibration damping properties of the big tires have me questioning the need for steel. Lighter and stiffer where it counts? Sounds like a good idea...

mtbr member
    An aluminum version of the Gnarvester sounds like a great idea, and at $500 will be a great option for someone wanting a lighter 29+ than the steel frames out there, but doesn't want to spring for a titanium frame. Should be around 4.5 lbs according FB.

And I agree, as the tires get wider, the frame material makes less of a difference in ride quality. The aluminum version 'could' be stiffer in the BB area than the Ti version. That is my only complaint about the current Gnarvester, there is definitely some flexing going on back there.

I'm really surprised Salsa has not announced and aluminum 29+ frame yet, I think that would be right up their alley. Are there any aluminum 29+ frames out yet, or will this be the first?

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Can anyone that has ridden/owns a Gnarvester comment on the ride and Geo compared to a Krampus?

Rode a Krampus for a while and sold it. Looking at building up a 29+ as a dedicated bikepacking rig.

It's going to be a Gnarvester or an Optimus 29+ with a rohloff and front suspension.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Does anyone have experience running this frame with standard 29er wheels/tires? I am looking to get in the game but may need to run it as a normal 29er until I can spring for the 29er+ wheelset and tires.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Pride View Post
    Does anyone have experience running this frame with standard 29er wheels/tires? I am looking to get in the game but may need to run it as a normal 29er until I can spring for the 29er+ wheelset and tires.
    I don't think it will work well. I already get a decent amount of pedal strikes with 3" tires. Running smaller tires will just make that worse. Unless your trails don't have any rocks and roots, than it may work OK.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeny View Post
    I don't think it will work well. I already get a decent amount of pedal strikes with 3" tires. Running smaller tires will just make that worse. Unless your trails don't have any rocks and roots, than it may work OK.
    What is the height of your bottom bracket from the ground to the center?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    What's the BB drop? I know that on my krampus, it's only 60mm, which is the same as a scott scale, which is meant for a 4" fork and 2.1" tires...

WNC Native
    More info & pics of the AL Prototype - Aluminum 29+ Frame In Testing - Carver Bikes

web-footed pedaler
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Adubb View Post
    Can anyone that has ridden/owns a Gnarvester comment on the ride and Geo compared to a Krampus?
    I've only ridden a Surly Krampus a few times so my experience is limited in that direction. In comparison, the Gnarvester felt a little quicker. No doubt some of that was the lighter overall weight. The geometry definitely felt more "playful" than the Krampus, but I can't nail down any specifics as to what the exact difference is.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Adubb View Post
    What is the height of your bottom bracket from the ground to the center?
    I honestly have no idea, never measured it. I just know that I hit the cranks more than on my other bikes. Looking at the Carver website, they claim a 290mm BB height with 780mm tire diameter. That's 11.4" BB height with a 30.7" diameter tire.

If I calculated correctly, that results in a 100mm BB drop, a lot more than a Krampus!

Edit: Just found a drawing that Davis sent me a while back, and it shows a 75mm BB drop.

Confused!

WNC Native
    I honestly have no idea, never measured it. I just know that I hit the cranks more than on my other bikes. Looking at the Carver website, they claim a 290mm BB height with 780mm tire diameter. That's 11.4" BB height with a 30.7" diameter tire.

If I calculated correctly, that results in a 100mm BB drop, a lot more than a Krampus!

Edit: Just found a drawing that Davis sent me a while back, and it shows a 75mm BB drop.

Confused!
    I've wondered about that as well. My Krampus measures about 12.75" to the center of the BB with Knards on Northpaw rims.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Confused!
    It's gotta be around 75mm. 100 is crazy. My one problem with the krampus geo is they didn't take advantage of BB height. With the 3.0s you're gaining quite a bit of height. I've ridden bikes with 60mm of BB drop one 2.1" tires. Clipped a lot of pedals, but handled like money. Add 15mm of tire...you can get away with 15mm more drop.

Any chance of raking out the head angle on the gnarvester for the alloy version? Not keen on going steeper than the krampus, that's one part I really like.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    My one problem with the krampus geo is they didn't take advantage of BB height. With the 3.0s you're gaining quite a bit of height.
    I guess it depends on what you mean by "take advantage". I'm very thankful for the tall Krampus BB height every time I have to clear a fat log or big rock, especially when pedaling uphill. I'm glad they didn't lower it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    better handling. High BBs are great for log clearing, sure, but embrace the low and learn to kick your pedals right for more smiles per hour.

web-footed pedaler
    Aug 2011
    better handling. High BBs are great for log clearing, sure, but embrace the low and learn to kick your pedals right for more smiles per hour.
    The Gnarvester's bottom bracket is noticeably higher than the Vassago Jabberwocky frames that I had as my primary bikes previously. The only increase in pedal strikes I've noticed with the gnarvester is that I can skip my pedals on dirt roads because I can lean the bike over so much further in corners.

WNC Native
    I'm also very thankful for the higher BB height of the Krampus. Being an SSer it makes timing a little less of an issue on some of the techy & steep climbs. I haven't noticed any ill handling effects of it either.

mtbr member
    I rode a Krampus for six months before deciding it was so much fun I wanted a lighter version and have been on the Gnar for 6 months now. The Gnarvester is a couple of pounds lighter, a little faster handling with a high enough BB that I can pedal through corners without worrying about being launched into space. I did a 10.5 mile TT last week on the Carver then the same race this week on my Spearfish since I cut one of the Knards and didnít have a spare. I had three pedal strikes on the first mile of trail trying to ride the Spearfish like the Carver and felt like I was going to slide out in every corner
    So far Iíve done two 100 mile races on it, a few TTís, cross country races and some SS Cyclocross races, itís my go to bike unless the trail is so rocky that Iím worried about cutting those stupid tires.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrousjunky View Post
    I'm also very thankful for the higher BB height of the Krampus. Being an SSer it makes timing a little less of an issue on some of the techy & steep climbs. I haven't noticed any ill handling effects of it either.
    it's always a matter of compromise. I think the BB could be a tad lower without increasing pedal strikes, or without increasing them to the point of annoyance. Lower BBs are better for high speed handling, which the krampus may not see a ton of, depending on where you ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by santacruzer View Post
    I rode a Krampus for six months before deciding it was so much fun I wanted a lighter version and have been on the Gnar for 6 months now. The Gnarvester is a couple of pounds lighter, a little faster handling with a high enough BB that I can pedal through corners without worrying about being launched into space. I did a 10.5 mile TT last week on the Carver then the same race this week on my Spearfish since I cut one of the Knards and didnít have a spare. I had three pedal strikes on the first mile of trail trying to ride the Spearfish like the Carver and felt like I was going to slide out in every corner
    So far Iíve done two 100 mile races on it, a few TTís, cross country races and some SS Cyclocross races, itís my go to bike unless the trail is so rocky that Iím worried about cutting those stupid tires.
    Sounds like you should try out the newly released Vee Trax Fatty.

Reports are that the volume is a bit lower than the Knard, but the sidewalls are thicker. And it's available now!

mtbr member
    Sounds like you should try out the newly released Vee Trax Fatty.

Reports are that the volume is a bit lower than the Knard, but the sidewalls are thicker. And it's available now!
    I'll have a set of Trax Fatty's tomorrow when the mailman comes around!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by santacruzer View Post
    Is there anything you miss about the Krampus?
    Casey Greene - President, Board of Directors - Bikepacking Roots
    bikepackingroots.org

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by flumphboy View Post
    Is there anything you miss about the Krampus?
    Not really, The Gnarvester is lighter, quicker steering and looks a lot nicer. I'm ready to try the new Trax Fatty's out at another TT tomorrow!

74 & 29 pilot
    Got my frame today and started the fun!! Can't wait to get this thing out on the trail. Waiting for a white Fox 32 120 I bought on flea bay, but the seller dropped the ball on shipping it. So I'm robbing some parts from my Les in the mean time.

MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

WNC Native
    FYI- Looks like Carver is updating their website and they now have the Gnarvester listed as having a 12.68" BB height with a 483mm fork. If this is correct it's very close to the same as the Krampus.

74 & 29 pilot
    Finished it up today, but some parts will be swapped when I get the others. Not bad with a Fox 32/120 and 125mm LEV; 26lbs 12oz My rudimentary measuring with an iPhone app says the HA is 68* with the fork which is 520mm A2C. Looking forward to first trail ride in the morn

MTBP

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    okay, that thing is awesome. Why did you mix the knard/trax?

74 & 29 pilot
    okay, that thing is awesome. Why did you mix the knard/trax?
    Thanks, it feels awesome! When I started looking at the 29+ thing, the Knard was the only tire available and I bought one to try out on the front of my Pivot Les. When the Trax Fatty became available, I wanted to try that one for comparison on a true 29+ frame.

Headed out for maiden voyage now!
    MTBP

mtbr member
    Awesome!! No problem with the Knard in the Fox fork? Will a 29+ also fit in a Pike?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    the knard will not fit in a pike, the 120tpi knard will fit in a fox 32 with no grindage. I have one! The 27tpi may be a little tighter.

loud hubs save lives
    nice, looks like a monster truck!

74 & 29 pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by clarkrw3 View Post
    Awesome!! No problem with the Knard in the Fox fork? Will a 29+ also fit in a Pike?
    It does on the one I have, it's the 2014 version. Different years have different shaped cross braces. No, it didn't fit the Pike; Rubs the arch by a couple of mm. It fit in my Fox 34/140, but with less clearance than the 32. I have a used 2012 32/120 coming that I got from flea bay, and will probably drimmel out the arch just to give extra clearance for a 50mm rim. Also, with no air pressure, it does catch the bottom of the steerer, so I'm running a little bit extra PSI, though, I can never get the use of the last 5mm.

Only got in 8 miles this morn, but I can say this thing RIPS and is SO MUCH fun to ride. My Les is officially going to SS now. I broke the 2 of the MTBing golden rules; I didn't double check my equipment and didn't carry the correct tools. 2 of the rear drop out bolts came loose and I didn't have a 6mm allen on my multi tool!! I was able to snug them up enough to get back. I guess I need to torque them down...

Next week I'll get plenty more time on chunky trails, but in the loose and sandy trails this thing rocks. The Trax Fatty never lost grip in the back and the Knard kept the front hooked up on fast loose turns. Still playing with air pressures, and will probably run a little higher in the chunky trails. The frame feels nice and stiff, but almost hard to tell any movement with the big squishy tires. The geometry is dead on and out of the saddle sprint and climbing is very comfortable, actually feels quite sporty though it doesn't look it. Thing just rolls and rolls and rolls....

MTBP

74 & 29 pilot
    So I got the fork I bought for quite cheap on flea bay, and besides taking 2 weeks to ship it, it turns out it's a 34/130mm fork I just said F it and went ahead and modified it for use on the Gnarvester. It had just a little less clearance than the 32/120, but I was planning on dremaling it out to make more room any way. So dremaled it out, put white touch up on it and installed new "old" stye Fox stickers that the LBS had laying around. Went from 68* HA to just a bit more that 67* and put the bike over 27lbs. I'll give it a go for a while and see how I like it.

I did get 20 miles in on it this morn and all I can say is, "It's the MOST fun bike I've owned." I ordered some silver Canfield Bro Crampon Ultimates for it, just to make it even more fun on the sketchy stuff.

Last edited by MTB Pilot; 08-19-2014 at 06:05 AM.
    MTBP

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    If you decide you hate the 34, please let me know. I have a 32 and don't like the flex. The crown also clicks a bit, so I'm looking to replace it at some point.

74 & 29 pilot
    If you decide you hate the 34, please let me know. I have a 32 and don't like the flex. The crown also clicks a bit, so I'm looking to replace it at some point.
    I will let you know...
    MTBP

74 & 29 pilot
    Well, sorry Sandwich. I guess I got lucky on someone else's ignorance. I'm digging the 34/130. I really like the HA and had no problems at all climbing steep, technical terrain today; Didn't feel the front end wanting to come off the ground at all. The fork is much more squishy than either of my 2014 Fox forks. I think the bike looks better with a longer A2C fork.

I finally got it out on some real chunk today, and I'm quite happy with it's performance both climbing and descending chunkier terrain. I really had to play with the air pressure as I felt a few tire to rim channel hits. Ended up with 17psi in the rear with the Trax Fatty from 14.5 on more tame trails. The only thing I need to get used to is the bounce back I get from the front tire when in really slow technical climbing.

This thing is quite a fun descender on the fast, rocky trails. Really easy to manual and pop off of the bigger rocks. Ended on a trail that was quite washed out from storms over the last few days, and got to see how this thing goes through mud and running streams. Impressive; Would have been much harder to get through that stuff with a normal sized tire. I still can't get over how much fun this bike is; Feeling quite bad about ignoring the rest of the fleet.

MTBP

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    :thumbs: glad you're happy with it. There's enough flex with the big wheels and tires that it makes sense to limit it with a stiff bike and fork!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrousjunky View Post
    More info & pics of the AL Prototype - Aluminum 29+ Frame In Testing - Carver Bikes
    Was driving past Bath the other day and stopped in to have a wheel trued and test ride the Gnarvester around the parking lot, also got to see the alloy bike. Same one in the pics, it is super light set up SS and rigid, I didn't ride it as it was a huge frame, the matte black looks great in person though, and at $500 or so, the guy at the shop anticipated selling a lot more Al frames than Ti, but they will keep making the Ti frame too. Man, the front end of the Grarvester feels like a truck with the fork of many names but that bike felt like it would be a ton of fun to ride. I am having second thoughts about my decision to wait for the 29+ Ver Hauen to come out.

AOK
    mtbr member

Introducing the Carver Gnarvester!

Quote Originally Posted by Coloradoxj13 View Post
    wait for the 29+ Ver Hauen to come out.
    Any idea of a timeframe for the 29+ Ver Hauen? I emailed Vassago the other day but no reply.

Alloy Gnarvester looks interesting, but I would rather have a steel frame.

mtbr member
    For those looking to lighten up their Gnarvester, Nextie just released their 50mm carbon 29+ rim, the Jungle Fox. 500g and 200kg weight limit. I just ordered a pair, hope to be riding them in a few weeks.

[Jungle Fox] Carbon Fat Bike 29+ Rim 50mm Width Double Wall Hookless Tubeless Compatible

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by AOK View Post
    Any idea of a timeframe for the 29+ Ver Hauen? I emailed Vassago the other day but no reply.

Alloy Gnarvester looks interesting, but I would rather have a steel frame.
    I was told late fall, but I'd guess early 2015.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Harvesting some Gnar

Introducing the Carver Gnarvester!-gnarvester.jpg

here is my Gnarvester harvesting some Gnarly PI . Its weighs right at 25lbs with Nextie Jungle Fox's running SS.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=MTB Pilot;11383573]Got my frame today and started the fun!!

Did I miss something or does the chain stay BB interface look like a much better design from what was shown earlier in this thread? The plate is now a cross brace for what looks like a much stronger and stiffer set up. MTBPilot: What are your opinions on the stiffness of the frame in this area? I am always concerned about this being an aggressive 200+ pound rider.

Thanks!
    Portland Off Road Navagators

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=bubba13;11475292]
    Quote Originally Posted by MTB Pilot View Post
    Got my frame today and started the fun!!

Did I miss something or does the chain stay BB interface look like a much better design from what was shown earlier in this thread? The plate is now a cross brace for what looks like a much stronger and stiffer set up. MTBPilot: What are your opinions on the stiffness of the frame in this area? I am always concerned about this being an aggressive 200+ pound rider.

Thanks!
    You are correct, it is different from the first pictures in this thread. That frame was the first sold and kind of a prototype. I had some crank clearance issues with it too. When they got the production versions in, Davis swapped my frame out for a new one. All the production frames have the new style setup you see on MTB Pilot's bike. Yes, it's stiffer than the prototype frame, but has a bit less tire clearance. MTB Pilot may chime in as well, but here is my opinion: I am about 190 and ride lots of techy terrain and do not notice any flex while riding. When I am stopped and push hard on the pedals with the brakes on, I can see some flex, but don not notice it at all while riding.

mtbr member

Upgrades!

So I finally got time to install my upgrades to the Gnarvester. The biggest upgrade is a new set of wheels. Carbon 50mm Nextie rims laced to DT 240 hubs. I knew my old wheels were heavy, but I never realized just how heavy they were. Rear wheel weighed 1602g and the front 1419g! New wheels are 973g rear and 850g front, for a total savings of 1198g, or 2.64 pounds! I was also able to eliminate 400g worth of tubes, as these are setup tubeless now. So total wheel weight dropped 3.5 pounds, I'm thinking I will notice that!

The other change is I moved to a 1x10 drivetrain with a One Up 40t granny cog to increase my gear range. Also a sweet custom Ti narrow wide direct mount chainring. I did not weigh that stuff, but I'm guessing that change increased the weigh a bit, but it will be worth it on the longer rides.

No ride report yet, as I am working through a front disc issue, but hopefully soon. Couple of crappy pictures below.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Introducing the Carver Gnarvester!-gnarvester-new-1.jpg  

Introducing the Carver Gnarvester!-gnarvester-new-2.jpg  

Introducing the Carver Gnarvester!-gnarvester-new-3.jpg  

Introducing the Carver Gnarvester!-gnarvester-new-4.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    MTBPilot, bike looks killer! (& I loved the Les too) Curious what size frame and stem length are you running?

Thanks!
    Pedal through it!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Bikeny

Interested in hearing about the rims when you get a chance to ride them.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast