Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    74 & 29 pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by trumpus View Post
    For other Gnarvester owners - I am having to choose between a 17" or 19" frame as the al will not come in in 18". Any recommendations? My other bikes measure such that the 18" would be perfect. I'm 5'10", 30-31" inseam. I currently ride a medium Yeti SB-95c and a medium Niner EMD. I had a medium Misfit Dissent which was too small.

Forrest had suggested sizing up to the 19" if the stand over (31") would work for me. This is what I am leaning towards unless someone has any other input?
    Just remember that the seat tube is more like 20" to the top on the 19" They measure 19" from BB to where the ST and TT meet. I am 6' with a 33" inseam, and I can't run my 150mm LEV on it because of that; I can on a 19" to the top seat tube. I also run a 785mm bar with 40mm stem and just love the fit. Then again, I run short stems and wide bars on everything, even my medium 429c.

They are good people over at Carver... Good luck and enjoy!
    MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

Drew

Introducing the Carver Gnarvester!

Just got her built the other day. Can't thank Forrest enough for all his help.

mtbr member
    Beautiful build.
    Question on the rims: Is that the Jungle Fox? Center drill, or offset?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

How did they set up tubeless?

Drew
    The rims are indeed the Jungle Foxes with offset drilling. The tires you see in the pic are the innova gravities but I also on whim picked up a set of chupacabra last night. So now I have the front with the gravity and the rear with the chupa. The chupas set up very easy tubeless, really no effort at all. The innova was a much trickery setup due to the fact that the tire fits pretty loose around the rim. Therefore I had to seat the tire first with a tube. Only then, with the aid of my cheap compressor and some seal was I finally able to get it to setup tubeless. This again is no fault of the rim, its just those Innova's just fit so loosely.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by tallguylikacurry View Post
    The rims are indeed the Jungle Foxes with offset drilling. The tires you see in the pic are the innova gravities but I also on whim picked up a set of chupacabra last night. So now I have the front with the gravity and the rear with the chupa. The chupas set up very easy tubeless, really no effort at all. The innova was a much trickery setup due to the fact that the tire fits pretty loose around the rim. Therefore I had to seat the tire first with a tube. Only then, with the aid of my cheap compressor and some seal was I finally able to get it to setup tubeless. This again is no fault of the rim, its just those Innova's just fit so loosely.
    Can you give us a full build list? You are fairly close (from what I can see in the pics) to the build I am considering. Who built the wheels for you?

I'd love to hear what you think about the ride, have you ridden 29+ before? I'm wanting to pull the trigger on a Gnarvester, but I am reluctant to commit several $K to a format I have never ridden outside of a parking lot (I'm also only 5'8" and worried about big wheels like those).

Drew

I actually haven't taken her for maiden voyage just yet, but messing around on my street the last couple of days I can tell you I'm already in love. I am coming from a Carver 420 that got stolen out of my garage and it feels just as nimble and light. The bigger tires seem to pick up speed a lot faster and the bike comes off the ground with little effort. After my loss I naturally looked at a lot of different options but kept coming back to the 420. Moving up to the gnarvester fits me perfect for the kind of riding I prefer (lots of techy fun stuff) with the possibility of riding in some snow (at least better than the 2.3s I was on).

Here's my build (I laced my own wheels):

Weight: 27lbs
    Frame: XL, 12 x 142
    Rims: Nextie Jungle Fox
    Tires: front - innova gravity, rear - chupacabra
    Hubs: I9 Torch
    Spokes: DT Comps, brass nipples
    Cranks: Raceface Turbine Cinch
    Headset: CaneCreek 110
    Handlebars: Raceface Turbine
    Stem: Raceface Turbine
    Pedals: Canfield crampon magnesium
    Brakes: XT's
    Rotors: Icetechs
    Fork: MRP Stage, setup with 130mm travel
    Last edited by wheelcool; 01-15-2015 at 02:33 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by tallguylikacurry View Post
    I actually haven't taken her for maiden voyage just yet, but messing around on my street the last couple of days I can tell you I'm already in love. I am coming from a Carver 420 that got stolen out of my garage and it feels just as nimble and light. The bigger tires seem to pick up speed a lot faster and the bike comes off the ground with little effort. After my loss I naturally looked at a lot of different options but kept coming back to the 420. Moving up to the gnarvester fits me perfect for the kind of riding I prefer (lots of techy fun stuff) with the possibility of riding in some snow (at least better than the 2.3s I was on).

Here's my build (I laced my own wheels):

Weight: 27lbs
    Frame: XL, 12 x 142
    Rims: Nextie Jungle Fox
    Tires: front - innova gravity, rear - chupacabra
    Hubs: I9 Torch
    Spokes: DT Comps, brass nipples
    Cranks: Raceface Turbine Cinch
    Headset: CaneCreek 110
    Handlebars: Raceface Turbine
    Stem: Raceface Turbine
    Pedals: Canfield crampon magnesium
    Brakes: XT's
    Rotors: Icetechs
    Fork: MRP Stage, setup with 130mm travel
    Very nice, thanks. I'm going to have mine built as an XT 1x10 by Carver, and swap out for SS when the need arises. I have a feeling that with the der. hanger, you may plan to do the same. I suppose all I'll need is a second chain, ss cog, and spacers. Going to get the i-spec XT shifter so I can just remove the shifter, cable, and rear derailleur by undoing a few bolts and snipping some zip ties. I'm surprised your bike came out to 27lbs with such a high end build...I only need a medium and going with a whisky no 9 fork, so hopefully it will come out a bit lighter. Will throw on a Fox 34 Float when I need more squish.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I am thinking of building up a Gnarvester, where can I find the thread to convert a fox 29er fork to a 29er+ fork.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

mtbr member
    Transition time--moving over from Krampus to the Gnarvester.

Planning its intro to dirt at the Kalamunda Circuit this weekend.

frame-L Gnarvester
    fork- Carver xc470
    post- Syntace P6
    saddle- Ergon sm3l
    stem- Thomson x4
    bar-Thomson carbon
    shifter- SRAM XX1 gripshift
    cassette- SRAM xx1 10x42
    chain-SRAM 11 sp
    chainring Absolute Black 32T
    crank- Canfield Bros
    pedals- Point One Podium2
    hubs- DTSwiss 240s
    spokes- DTSwiss Comp
    nipples-DT Swiss brass
    rims-Nextie Jungle Fox, center drilled
    skewers- DT Swiss rachet
    tires- VeeRubber Trax Fatty
    brakes-TRP Spyke
    levers-Avid Speeddial 3
    lines- Jagwire Ripcord
    rotors- TRP 160
    headset and bottom bracket--Chris King
    lIntroducing the Carver Gnarvester!-transition2.jpgIntroducing the Carver Gnarvester!-transition3.jpgIntroducing the Carver Gnarvester!-transition.jpg
    Last edited by kimberleyturtle; 01-23-2015 at 02:42 AM. Reason: adding image

MTB B'dos
    Wel that's a nice upgrade I'd think, will be interested to hear your thoughts on if it was a worth while one or just marginal in terms of Ti vs Steel. LOT of spacers you've got going on there on both bikes, seems like either you need a higher rise bar or stem as it's not generally considered good to have more than 40mm of spacers under your stem as it provides too much leverage about the HT to cause issues.

Quote Originally Posted by kimberleyturtle View Post
    Transition time--moving over from Krampus to the Gnarvester.
    .................]Click image for larger version. 

Name:	transition.jpg 
Views:	771 
Size:	203.5 KB 
ID:	957857
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados

mtbr member
    Whether the bars are raised by steerer spacers, stem, or riser bar, the leverage is the same, it just depends on where your hands are located relative to the headset.

For carbon steerers, most manufactures limit the amount of recommended spacers, but I haven't heard of that for aluminum steerers, and definitely not for steel.

All that being said, I wish manufacturers would stop making these stupid short headtubes, especially on larger frame sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Wel that's a nice upgrade I'd think, will be interested to hear your thoughts on if it was a worth while one or just marginal in terms of Ti vs Steel. LOT of spacers you've got going on there on both bikes, seems like either you need a higher rise bar or stem as it's not generally considered good to have more than 40mm of spacers under your stem as it provides too much leverage about the HT to cause issues.

mtbr member
    thanks for a generality about spacers and that's been batted around before.
    how many headset spacers is too many?

what works for an individual depends on their history, preference, frame, riding style, local trails, and a lengthy list of other factors.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Good Gnarvester Riders,

I need your expert recommendations; I just installed a pair of Hugo and Chronicle in my small Gnarvester with Niner RDO fork, the tire clearance was squeamishly tight.
    Now, I am thingking of buying the Bluto, has anyone of you guys know if the Bluto will have enough tire clearance for the Hugo and Chronicle?

Many thanks.

Drew

Quote Originally Posted by neilyo537 View Post
    Good Gnarvester Riders,

I need your expert recommendations; I just installed a pair of Hugo and Chronicle in my small Gnarvester with Niner RDO fork, the tire clearance was squeamishly tight.
    Now, I am thingking of buying the Bluto, has anyone of you guys know if the Bluto will have enough tire clearance for the Hugo and Chronicle?

Many thanks.
    Sorry I can't be of much help. I ride an xl and have an MRP stage fork that clears no problem. Good luck.

AOK
    mtbr member

There is a thread for Krampus with front suspension- you should check that out for info on which squishy forks may work. Like wheelcool, I have a MRP stage on my Krampus (running 50mm Nextie Jungle Fox rims and Knards).

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by seat_boy View Post
    Whether the bars are raised by steerer spacers, stem, or riser bar, the leverage is the same, it just depends on where your hands are located relative to the headset.
    Sorry but that is wrong, the leverage is applied to the steer where the stem is clamped to it. Having your hands in the same place but the stem attached 10mm or 100mm above the headset does change the lever arm.
    OG Ripley v2
    Mojo 3- For Sale
    Carver 420 TI

mtbr member
    I was considering the leverage around the headset, which seems like the most likely place for a steerer tube to fail due to too much leverage from the bar.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    Sorry but that is wrong, the leverage is applied to the steer where the stem is clamped to it. Having your hands in the same place but the stem attached 10mm or 100mm above the headset does change the lever arm.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Bet I could bust that 100mm worth of spacers fast and blow the tube.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I just built up my gnarvester. Build went well. The carver dropouts are very nice with thru axle. However I should of never ordered the carver Ti seatpost. What a poor design to adjust seat angle, makes you want to throw it across the garage. You can not get fine adjustments on this POS. The seatpost is not cheap either.

MTB B'dos
    Curious if anyone's heard anything further on the ALU version, expected delivery dates to the US??? Last update on their FB page said Feb 27th and that's come and gone without hearing anything further.
    MTB Barbados

mtbr member
    I expect the port strike delayed their shipment along with everything else.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I was considering the leverage around the headset, which seems like the most likely place for a steerer tube to fail due to too much leverage from the bar.
    Exactly the point. The lever arm starts at the headset. If you clamp the stem at 10mm, that a 10mm lever arm, you clamp it at 100mm that's a 100mm arm. No matter where your hands are, the bending force is being applied at the stem.
    OG Ripley v2
    Mojo 3- For Sale
    Carver 420 TI

mtbr member
    No, what matters is where the load is applied (your hands) and where you want to measure it (the headset in this case).

If you don't understand this, draw it out as a free body diagram. If you don't understand what that is, stop arguing now.

Exactly the point. The lever arm starts at the headset. If you clamp the stem at 10mm, that a 10mm lever arm, you clamp it at 100mm that's a 100mm arm. No matter where your hands are, the bending force is being applied at the stem.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    No, what matters is where the load is applied (your hands) and where you want to measure it (the headset in this case).

If you don't understand this, draw it out as a free body diagram. If you don't understand what that is, stop arguing now.
    LOL.

It's simple really. Put a tube in a vise with 10mm sticking out and try and bend it, now leave 100mm sticking out, you don't need a free body diagram to know which is easier to bend.

Moving your hand position with a riser/dropper stem doesn't change where the force is transferred to the steerer.
    OG Ripley v2
    Mojo 3- For Sale
    Carver 420 TI

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

LOL.

It's simple really. Put a tube in a vise with 10mm sticking out and try and bend it, now leave 100mm sticking out, you don't need a free body diagram to know which is easier to bend.

Moving your hand position with a riser/dropper stem doesn't change where the force is transferred to the steerer.
    Yes, pretty simple.

mtbr member
    Curious if anyone's heard anything further on the ALU version, expected delivery dates to the US??? Last update on their FB page said Feb 27th and that's come and gone without hearing anything further.
    I'm in the process of building my AL Gnarvester.
    it arrived at my door last friday.. Cool bike, I'm really looking forward to riding this one.

mtbr member

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Introducing the Carver Gnarvester!-fullsizerender.jpg  

Last edited by flyinmike; 03-15-2015 at 07:24 AM.

Team Captain
    Jan 2004
    I like everything about that.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Flyinmike. How is the clearance on the 36. The frame/build looks good. Looks like the chainstays/yoke are different as well as the seat stays compared to the ti. also what rims are those?

mtbr member
    Hugo rims..
    I don't think the 36 is going to work out long term. Clearance is way too tight.
    I also tried a Niner RDO fork and the tire won't even turn it rubs so bad.
    I guess it's going to be a bit of a search to find the right fork

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Sounds like you may need the right fork from Carver. Running that bike with a short fork like the Niner would be a sin anyway.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    There is good clearance with the chupa/50mm in an mrp stage. There is less with the 52mm hugo though. for whatever reason the 2mm in extra width takes up a lot of room in forks.

EX-RoadLice
    Would a 40mm rim like the nextie give more wiggle room with the mrp stage/ tire combo?
    It is a expensive fork, I just want to have a real world idea what fits in the fork without rubbing.

mtbr member
    The Fox36 has a strange bulge inside the casting arch right at the widest part of the tire casing.
    Doesn't make any sense to me why an engineer would do that. it looks purely cosmetic.
    The fork is really for another project so its not that big of a deal. But, it would have been cool if it worked out.

it's true a too short fork would be a sin. This thing begs for something beefy.

MTB B'dos
    Looking nice, definitely post up when you've finished the build in a new thread with details and pics. This is definitely on my short list as the last bike to finish out my quiver, although if the 650B+ tyres start to become available, that could also solved my problems with wanting more rear end cush on my Monkey and Paradox. What size? Guessing SM from all that standover.

Quote Originally Posted by flyinmike View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    MTB Barbados

mtbr member
    Yes it's a 15"

mtbr member
    After riding my Gnarvester as a rigid singlespeed for the last year I put some gears and an MRP Stage fork on it for a weekend in the mountains. Talk about different! Now I have 2 bikes I love and it only takes about 15 minutes to swap between them! Introducing the Carver Gnarvester!-uploadfromtaptalk1426469478381.jpg

AOK
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trailice View Post
    Would a 40mm rim like the nextie give more wiggle room with the mrp stage/ tire combo?
    It is a expensive fork, I just want to have a real world idea what fits in the fork without rubbing.
    I think so. The closest part is the bulge for the upper seals being close to the sidewall. The rest of the arch has plenty of clearance. So anything that makes the sidewalls a little narrower would do the trick. Having said that, I have had no issues using 50mm rims with my Stage.

With 50mm rims and a Knard it is tight (although it worked fine for me without issues).

With the slightly narrower Innova tire it has more wiggle room. Even more room when I had a Knard in there on a 35mm rim.

I have posted pics of my setup in one of the Krampus threads.

Drew
    There's a nice little write up on the gnarvester in the latest dirtrag magazine (183). Although the tester has the gnar setup much different then i have mine and seems to feel its best suited for touring/exploring, he gave it awesome props. Very cool to see Carver highlighted like this. Coming from a 420, my gnar is about as sweet a ride as i could dream up. As a ss with a 150 mrp stage fork, I've been crushing every trail I've taken her on including some hardcore tech rides around moab, fruita and grand junction.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I had made up my mind on building up a Gnarvester, and the Dirt Rag review really does speak volumes about the bike, but I am starting to have second thoughts now that 650b+ seems to be gaining popularity. I'm only 5'8", and a little concerned that 29+ may be a little too tall for me...anyone my height riding a Gnarvester and happy with it?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelcool View Post
    There's a nice little write up on the gnarvester in the latest dirtrag magazine (183). Although the tester has the gnar setup much different then i have mine and seems to feel its best suited for touring/exploring, he gave it awesome props. Very cool to see Carver highlighted like this. Coming from a 420, my gnar is about as sweet a ride as i could dream up. As a ss with a 150 mrp stage fork, I've been crushing every trail I've taken her on including some hardcore tech rides around moab, fruita and grand junction.
    Pics of your set up with this 150mm fork?

Drew

Quote Originally Posted by MMcG View Post
    Pics of your set up with this 150mm fork?
    Here you go...

The front tire is gravity Vidar at about 12psi.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Flyingmike,

It's puzzling to me that your RDO fork doesn't work with your hugos and Chupacabras. I have this set up and it allows about 1/8" on either side of the tire.
    Kinda tight but been working so far.

Too bad your legs aren't longer so I could see what a real Alu Gnarverster frame looks like
    Last edited by TuTone T; 03-20-2015 at 06:39 PM. Reason: Add

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    flyinmike, how did you place an order for the ALU version. I don't see on Carver or Bikeman websites. I saw the frame listed in the Bikeman print ad in Dirt Rag this month, but son't know how to order.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    E-mail them, they are a small shop in Maine, one of the owners will respond pretty quickly.

Shameless Plug!
    Aug 2006
    Hi Everyone,

As you may have heard, we received the Aluminum Gnarvester frames a few weeks ago! Super exciting to finally see them...we apologize for the delays! While we don't have control over the port strikes and such, at this point we SHOULD know enough to build a couple of extra months to the ETA so ultimately it's on us. All of the preorders should have shipped by now, and we are ready to accept orders whenever.

As a local bike shop first and foremost and Bikeman/Carver Bikes second, we're a bit behind the 8-ball on listing the frames online. Next week we should be ready to rock and roll with online orders for the Aluminum Gnarvester, but in the meantime if you'd like to give us an email or call we're happy to get a frame out the door for you.

Deets! Where's the deets? Here's the deets!

Price is $599.95 excluding shipping, which runs about $40-$60 to the lower 48 US States with UPS or $70-$100 international. Like all our other frames, this price includes the sliding dropouts of your choice (Paragon Machine Works). Be aware that some thru-axle setups are slightly annoying to set up in the "slammed" chainstay position, so it's best to slam the stays AFTER installing the thru-axle.

Weight on a naked medium frame is about 4.3 pounds (1900g) or 4.75 pounds (2150g) with dropouts, hardware, tensioners, etc.

We offer the Aluminum Gnarvester in four sizes only, which are measured from center of bottom bracket to top of seat tube: 15", 17", 19", and 21". Effective top tube measurements are 22", 23", 24", and 25" respectively. We offer and stock all three of our titanium frame models in 1" increments from 14" to 24", so if you're looking for a more specific fit then that's the way to go. If you need something different than one of our 11 sizes, we're happy to make a custom titanium frame for you (upcharges apply) but aluminum frames are production only.

The titanium Gnarvester's seat tube length is measured to the top of the toptube rather than the top of the seat tube, but other than that the geometry of the titanium and aluminum Gnarvesters are basically identical. You can check the exact numbers on our website in the next couple of weeks.

Rear spacing on the frame is standard 135mm/142mm, and the bottom bracket is 73mm threaded. In order to keep a standard bottom bracket, the crank and chainring selection on aluminum Gnarvesters is partially limited. Being that the frame is not compatible with a front derailleur, the ideal setup and our clear favorite is a RaceFace CINCH style direct-mount chainring in the flipped, concave position. This allows for the full range of tooth counts starting at 26t (even a 38t works but it's wicked friggin' tight). Due to the increased chainline from using the outer position coupled with the bigger diameter wheels, it's best to gear down.

Most standard triple cranks can be used, but only with a 30-34t chainring in the outer position. Single-specific cranks with a spider like the first gen XX1 crank, or double cranks with no outer position like the XT M786 generally don't work. To help with chainline, feel free to swap the 2.5mm bottom bracket spacer to the non-drive side if space allows.

Tire and rim selections were pretty limited when we started this project over a year ago, and while we are excited to see the new options, keep in mind that some quirks may still crop up as component diversity continues to expand.

The last thing is decals. The decals we've been using on our titanium frames don't stick perfectly on the aluminum frames, thanks to the textured finish. We have decals specific to the Aluminum Gnarvester in the works, and once they're in, all frames will ship with them. Contact us later if you were in the early boat and want to grab the new decals.

OK, I think that's it! We're a busy shop and it's tune-up season, so if you have a question or comment, please email me at forrest@bikeman.com for the fastest response. You can also reach me at 1-800-BIKEMAN extension 2, but if someone needs to buy a tube then I might have to put you on hold. (Don't worry, one of our mechanics sings the hold music!)

Time to ride!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I'm interested in one, but have a question about that 490mm fork. What's the max rotor size? Thought I saw 160mm, which is on the small side.

Shameless Plug!
    Aug 2006
    The O'Beast fork and the XC470 have a "max" rotor size of 160mm in that there's limited clearance for a bigger rotor. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't.

All our other forks, including the 490, have no max rotor size.

mtbr member
    So has anyone else picked up one of the aluminum Gnarvester frames? I'd like to see what some of the bigger frame sizes look like.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Me too

WNC Native
    I have a pic of Forest's 19" I can post, but I'm betting you've already seen it. Only seen one other built and it was a 17".
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Nathan - post up the pics! Especially the 17" one!!

WNC Native
    17"
    Introducing the Carver Gnarvester!-17-carver.jpg

19"
    Introducing the Carver Gnarvester!-al-gnarvester.jpg
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    May 2007
    For those of you who switched from a Krampus size large which did you go for, the 19" or 20", any regrets on size choice and how did it compare fit wise?

Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
    Anybody know if you can get the Alloy Gnarvester with 135x10 dropouts?
    GIS/GPS Pro using ArcFM for Utility Mapping - Always willing to connect with other MTBers in the industry.

WNC Native
    Quote Originally Posted by PHeller View Post
    Anybody know if you can get the Alloy Gnarvester with 135x10 dropouts?
    Yep, can get it with any axle format that Paragon makes in that style sliding dropout.

Anybody have pictures of Gnarvester in a 15" frame size?

I'm thinking of one of these for my wife, equipped with 165mm cranks, a 120mm fork, chainstays slammed, and 29x2.4 tires.
    GIS/GPS Pro using ArcFM for Utility Mapping - Always willing to connect with other MTBers in the industry.

Shameless Plug!
    Aug 2006
    Here's a pic of a 17" demo, will try to grab an image of a 21" next time one goes out.

Shameless Plug!
    Aug 2006
    Anybody have pictures of Gnarvester in a 15" frame size?

I'm thinking of one of these for my wife, equipped with 165mm cranks, a 120mm fork, chainstays slammed, and 29x2.4 tires.
    The 15" has a straight top tube, will contact my friend and try to get him to post a picture.

Flyinmike posted a pic of his 15" awhile back. Looks good.

I just wonder if I'll be able to run it with 120mm "normal" 29er fork and 29x2.4 or 275x3.25 tires or if she'll have pedal strikes all the time.

Shameless Plug!
    Aug 2006
    Flyinmike posted a pic of his 15" awhile back. Looks good.

I just wonder if I'll be able to run it with 120mm "normal" 29er fork and 29x2.4 or 275x3.25 tires or if she'll have pedal strikes all the time.
    Might be cutting it a bit close...BBH is around 12" with a regular 29er wheelset. Keep in mind, 27.5 clearance is different on the aluminum Gnarvester than the titanium version. The aluminum version has a yoke that tapers down a bit where the 27.5" clearance needs to be.

74 & 29 pilot
    At about 14 months now on the ole girl, I know she is here to stay and decided to give her the final update. Out with the 2012 Fox 34/120 RL and in with a 2016 Fox 34/130 Fit4. Madden voyage tomorrow
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Introducing the Carver Gnarvester!-img_2637.jpg  

Introducing the Carver Gnarvester!-img_2691.jpg  

Introducing the Carver Gnarvester!-img_2689.jpg  

Introducing the Carver Gnarvester!-img_2698.jpg  

Last edited by MTB Pilot; 07-08-2015 at 10:14 PM.
    MTBP

Drew
    Couldn't agree more with you. I love my gnarvester! Congrats on the sweet upgrade.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MTB Pilot View Post
    At about 14 months now on the ole girl, I know she is here to stay and decided to give her the final update. Out with the 2012 Fox 34/120 RL and in with a 2016 Fox 34/130 Fit4. Madden voyage tomorrow
    Nice, that's one of the things I love about the Dirt Wizard, being able to run a newer Fox fork!

mtbr member
    Any updates on the AL frames? I'm interested in building up a SS!

web-footed pedaler
    Aug 2011
    I rode one during NEMBAfest and they're pretty nice. They handle pretty much the same, but I still prefer my Ti Gnarvester a little more.
    Introducing the Carver Gnarvester!-al_gnarvester.jpg

American Made!
    Another great day on the trail!

Sent from a over priced hand held device
    What is thy bidding, my master.

discombobulated SuperModerator
    Jun 2005
    purple ano...FTW!

74 & 29 pilot

Quote Originally Posted by 1x1clyde View Post
    another great day on the trail!

Sent from a over priced hand held device
    i agree!

Introducing the Carver Gnarvester!-imageuploadedbytapatalk1443706499.128245.jpg
    MTBP

EX-RoadLice

Most fun bike I have ever owned!
    Fox 34 27.5+ fork
    Nextie 50mm rims
    Dirt wizards 120 tpi(15.5 front 17 back)1006-1009 grams, Surly claims 850
    Waiting on the 60 tpi version to get to 14-16psi, hopefuly.
    I have heard very good things about the Vittorio Bomboloni but they are 1350 grams, 60 tpi DW's might be close to that though.
    Did the VT 50 and had very similar time to last year, with much heavier tires this year.
    Introducing the Carver Gnarvester!-img_20150922_114832.jpgIntroducing the Carver Gnarvester!-img_20150910_090154.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Carver Gnarvester, the most versatile 29 Plus out there
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Introducing the Carver Gnarvester!-fullsizerender.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    The packaging on the Bomboloni tire that i picked up says 965 grams (120 tpi).
    Didn't weigh them though thats 29 x 3.0

So trailice, thats a 29 inch wheel with a 29+ Dirt wizard in the 27+ fox fork?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Another version

Introducing the Carver Gnarvester!-fullsizerender.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Another version

W/ Fox Talas 90-120.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    ^Awesome build!

EX-RoadLice
    Quote Originally Posted by TuTone T View Post
    The packaging on the Bomboloni tire that i picked up says 965 grams (120 tpi).
    Didn't weigh them though thats 29 x 3.0

So trailice, thats a 29 inch wheel with a 29+ Dirt wizard in the 27+ fox fork?
    Yes you are correct, 45mm ID nextie rim, 29x3 DW and 2016 fox 34 27+ boost fork.
    Have really enjoyed the stiffer casing on the 60tpi DW's, Makes it a MUCH more capable tire.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Introducing the Carver Gnarvester!-img_5164.jpg

Got my Gnarvester last week. A Singlespeed SIR9 was the donor bike for all the parts. Replaced 2.25 RoRo's with Bomboloni's and took off.
    Just like the SIR9 in many ways but better, a little lighter, just as comfortable rigid, climbs great, rolls over techy stuff better, smooth and fast. Really nice bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    BomBoloni is a good choice with that fork. nice bike

MTB B'dos
    If you don't mind, what size did you get? Have you checked the geo measurements against the web site to see if they match?

Quote Originally Posted by Stray Mutt View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5164.JPG 
Views:	208 
Size:	254.8 KB 
ID:	1073919

Got my Gnarvester last week. A Singlespeed SIR9 was the donor bike for all the parts. Replaced 2.25 RoRo's with Bomboloni's and took off.
    Just like the SIR9 in many ways but better, a little lighter, just as comfortable rigid, climbs great, rolls over techy stuff better, smooth and fast. Really nice bike.
    MTB Barbados

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    If you don't mind, what size did you get? Have you checked the geo measurements against the web site to see if they match?
    It's a 20". I have not measured it myself. Carvers chart did use a 483mm A2C fork and I had the 470mm niner tapered fork so I used the 14mm lower stack height of an Angleset at 0 degrees to make it come out the same.
    It rides and fits like I expected based on the tables for both bikes. So I don't think it varies much from the chart if at all.
    I like it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Nevermind Already answered.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Stray Mutt View Post
    Carvers chart did use a 483mm A2C fork and I had the 470mm niner tapered fork so I used the 14mm lower stack height of an Angleset at 0 degrees to make it come out the same.
    Could you please post the model lower cup you used, or the set number from Cane Creek? I'm trying to find the combo that gives anything more than 4mm lower stack. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    It's the ZS44/EC56 Angleset. It's changing to the external cup on the bottom that gives the extra stack height.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Thank you! I'll check that out.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quick question for owners of the Ti frames. All the pictures I found online appears to show cable stops on the drive-side seat stay designed to have exposed cable for the rear derailleur. Is this still the case on new frames or are they now like the aluminum version made to run full length housing?

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I'm a long way from my Gnarvester right now. I think it's set up for full housing.
    But I'd contact Carver with any questions. Great guys.
    There are some running frame changes though, mine came with internal routing ports for a dropper post and rear rack mounts. Not anything I'll probably use but it is versatile like a Swiss Army knife.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member

Smile Gnarvester AL

Tons of very cool Gnarvesters here; they have inspired my newest bike...

Introducing the Carver Gnarvester!-20160712_125153.jpg

AL Frame (XL)
    Reba 27+/29 Fork
    XT Brakes
    S1400 crank / SRAM GX 1x11 (30 x 10-42)
    Sun Ringle Duroc 40 rims
    SRAM 900 Front hub (15x110)
    Hadley rear hub (12x142)
    DT Swiss Competition spokes
    Maxxis Chronicles

Thanks for all the information on the +board. I went with the Reba and Duroc 40's based off recommendations here. Just finished the build so I hope to go get it dirty later today!

WNC Native
    Nice AL Gnar!!

mtbr member

I'm the new owner of a lightly used 20" Ti Gnarvester.

One question on set up. Going with 1x11 Shimano, 11-46 cassette from SunRace, and RF Turbine cinch crank.

Is the best setup to run the chainring inside out (lettering in)? Thanks.

BTW: psyched to get this thing built up! Will post pictures when done.

Edit: Normal cinch ring orientation works fine.
    Last edited by reamer41; 07-28-2016 at 11:45 AM.
    --Reamer

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    You can look up the chain line of your crank, and it should be on the Carver website. Worst case scenario mount it inner, then look and see if the chain is straight when on the middle cogs, or if it should move

mtbr member
    Jul 2016

Start the clock!

Introducing the Carver Gnarvester!-carver.png

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by reamer41 View Post
    I'm the new owner of a lightly used 20" Ti Gnarvester.

One question on set up. Going with 1x11 Shimano, 11-46 cassette from SunRace, and RF Turbine cinch crank.

Is the best setup to run the chainring inside out (lettering in)? Thanks.

BTW: psyched to get this thing built up! Will post pictures when done.
    What size chainring? I couldn't run my 32t on the inside of my Shimano cranks. No clearance between the ring and the frame.
    Signature

Shameless Plug!
    Aug 2006
    Here's a rough guide for the Ti Gnarvester with cranks, although keep in mind there's a lot of variation. Certain non-standard cranks (like the 156Q version of the XX1) simply don't work.

Direct Mount (outer)? Yes
    Direct Mount (inner)? Occasionally
    Triple (inner)? No
    Triple (middle)? Usually
    Triple (outer)? Yes
    Double (inner)? Occasionally
    Double (outer)? Yes

mtbr member

Shakedown Ride!

I just got this put together yesterday. Need to trim hoses and make a few minor adjustments...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Introducing the Carver Gnarvester!-gnar-1.jpg  

--Reamer

mtbr member

Got a longer ride in yesterday. Horrendous creaking from the frame. I can only imagine its from the dropout inserts moving in the frame. It was shipped by previous owner with star lock washers between the washer and the bolt head. After looking at Paragon's site and other pictures of carvers I see these are not present.

I removed the lock washers and re torqued the bolts with some blue locktite. I hope this quiets things down! I've also ordered the Ti bolts and double washers from Paragon.

Anyone else have issues with creaking and popping from the frame?
    --Reamer

mtbr member

Using new Ti bolts and steel washers from paragon, and removing the lock washers seems to have mostly resolved the creaking.

Still trying to dial in air pressure. Down to 10psi in the back. Front is around 12. Lower pressure up front seems to make for funky slow speed steering, and having the sus fork the ride in front is fine.

Any guidance or suggestions?
    I'm about 225 ready to ride.

Also, do you seal the internal routing ports if not in use? If so, how?

--Reamer

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by reamer41 View Post
    Using new Ti bolts and steel washers from paragon, and removing the lock washers seems to have mostly resolved the creaking.

Still trying to dial in air pressure. Down to 10psi in the back. Front is around 12. Lower pressure up front seems to make for funky slow speed steering, and having the sus fork the ride in front is fine.

Any guidance or suggestions?
    I'm about 225 ready to ride.

Also, do you seal the internal routing ports if not in use? If so, how?

I'm 152# or so, and I run 18 rear/ 15 front.

We have some sharp rocks out here though, so I err on the side of defense. I really can't imagine going that low though!

mtbr member
    I'm 185ish and run 20 in the rear. Found if I ride less the rear gets too squirmy and rubs the frame on high speed corners. Running a Chronicle on a Blunt 35...perhaps the narrower rim has something to do with it.
    Signature

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast