Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    WNC Native
    Quote Originally Posted by sandwich View Post
    Any news on the alloy version?
    They are accepting pre-orders right now, saying fall-end of the year at the latest on delivery.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    aye, but little in the way of details. would be nice to...you know...see it.

WNC Native

Here's the only pic I've seen so far.

Introducing the Carver Gnarvester!-al-gnarvester.jpg
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

web-footed pedaler
    Aug 2011
    Any news on the alloy version?
    It's seems to be in the works. I'm hoping to get some time on one fairly soon and post a review on MTBVT.com.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    nice, please do!

Yes, I've seen that photo, but there's little accompanying data, did they make any changes to the ti version? did they change any bracing for aluminum? I'm just curious. It looks like a rad bike, and the vibration damping properties of the big tires have me questioning the need for steel. Lighter and stiffer where it counts? Sounds like a good idea...

mtbr member
    An aluminum version of the Gnarvester sounds like a great idea, and at $500 will be a great option for someone wanting a lighter 29+ than the steel frames out there, but doesn't want to spring for a titanium frame. Should be around 4.5 lbs according FB.

And I agree, as the tires get wider, the frame material makes less of a difference in ride quality. The aluminum version 'could' be stiffer in the BB area than the Ti version. That is my only complaint about the current Gnarvester, there is definitely some flexing going on back there.

I'm really surprised Salsa has not announced and aluminum 29+ frame yet, I think that would be right up their alley. Are there any aluminum 29+ frames out yet, or will this be the first?

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Can anyone that has ridden/owns a Gnarvester comment on the ride and Geo compared to a Krampus?

Rode a Krampus for a while and sold it. Looking at building up a 29+ as a dedicated bikepacking rig.

It's going to be a Gnarvester or an Optimus 29+ with a rohloff and front suspension.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Does anyone have experience running this frame with standard 29er wheels/tires? I am looking to get in the game but may need to run it as a normal 29er until I can spring for the 29er+ wheelset and tires.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Pride View Post
    Does anyone have experience running this frame with standard 29er wheels/tires? I am looking to get in the game but may need to run it as a normal 29er until I can spring for the 29er+ wheelset and tires.
    I don't think it will work well. I already get a decent amount of pedal strikes with 3" tires. Running smaller tires will just make that worse. Unless your trails don't have any rocks and roots, than it may work OK.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeny View Post
    I don't think it will work well. I already get a decent amount of pedal strikes with 3" tires. Running smaller tires will just make that worse. Unless your trails don't have any rocks and roots, than it may work OK.
    What is the height of your bottom bracket from the ground to the center?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    What's the BB drop? I know that on my krampus, it's only 60mm, which is the same as a scott scale, which is meant for a 4" fork and 2.1" tires...

WNC Native
    More info & pics of the AL Prototype - Aluminum 29+ Frame In Testing - Carver Bikes

web-footed pedaler
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Adubb View Post
    Can anyone that has ridden/owns a Gnarvester comment on the ride and Geo compared to a Krampus?
    I've only ridden a Surly Krampus a few times so my experience is limited in that direction. In comparison, the Gnarvester felt a little quicker. No doubt some of that was the lighter overall weight. The geometry definitely felt more "playful" than the Krampus, but I can't nail down any specifics as to what the exact difference is.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Adubb View Post
    What is the height of your bottom bracket from the ground to the center?
    I honestly have no idea, never measured it. I just know that I hit the cranks more than on my other bikes. Looking at the Carver website, they claim a 290mm BB height with 780mm tire diameter. That's 11.4" BB height with a 30.7" diameter tire.

If I calculated correctly, that results in a 100mm BB drop, a lot more than a Krampus!

Edit: Just found a drawing that Davis sent me a while back, and it shows a 75mm BB drop.

Confused!

WNC Native
    I honestly have no idea, never measured it. I just know that I hit the cranks more than on my other bikes. Looking at the Carver website, they claim a 290mm BB height with 780mm tire diameter. That's 11.4" BB height with a 30.7" diameter tire.

If I calculated correctly, that results in a 100mm BB drop, a lot more than a Krampus!

Edit: Just found a drawing that Davis sent me a while back, and it shows a 75mm BB drop.

Confused!
    I've wondered about that as well. My Krampus measures about 12.75" to the center of the BB with Knards on Northpaw rims.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Confused!
    It's gotta be around 75mm. 100 is crazy. My one problem with the krampus geo is they didn't take advantage of BB height. With the 3.0s you're gaining quite a bit of height. I've ridden bikes with 60mm of BB drop one 2.1" tires. Clipped a lot of pedals, but handled like money. Add 15mm of tire...you can get away with 15mm more drop.

Any chance of raking out the head angle on the gnarvester for the alloy version? Not keen on going steeper than the krampus, that's one part I really like.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    My one problem with the krampus geo is they didn't take advantage of BB height. With the 3.0s you're gaining quite a bit of height.
    I guess it depends on what you mean by "take advantage". I'm very thankful for the tall Krampus BB height every time I have to clear a fat log or big rock, especially when pedaling uphill. I'm glad they didn't lower it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    better handling. High BBs are great for log clearing, sure, but embrace the low and learn to kick your pedals right for more smiles per hour.

web-footed pedaler
    Aug 2011
    better handling. High BBs are great for log clearing, sure, but embrace the low and learn to kick your pedals right for more smiles per hour.
    The Gnarvester's bottom bracket is noticeably higher than the Vassago Jabberwocky frames that I had as my primary bikes previously. The only increase in pedal strikes I've noticed with the gnarvester is that I can skip my pedals on dirt roads because I can lean the bike over so much further in corners.

WNC Native
    I'm also very thankful for the higher BB height of the Krampus. Being an SSer it makes timing a little less of an issue on some of the techy & steep climbs. I haven't noticed any ill handling effects of it either.

mtbr member
    I rode a Krampus for six months before deciding it was so much fun I wanted a lighter version and have been on the Gnar for 6 months now. The Gnarvester is a couple of pounds lighter, a little faster handling with a high enough BB that I can pedal through corners without worrying about being launched into space. I did a 10.5 mile TT last week on the Carver then the same race this week on my Spearfish since I cut one of the Knards and didnít have a spare. I had three pedal strikes on the first mile of trail trying to ride the Spearfish like the Carver and felt like I was going to slide out in every corner
    So far Iíve done two 100 mile races on it, a few TTís, cross country races and some SS Cyclocross races, itís my go to bike unless the trail is so rocky that Iím worried about cutting those stupid tires.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrousjunky View Post
    I'm also very thankful for the higher BB height of the Krampus. Being an SSer it makes timing a little less of an issue on some of the techy & steep climbs. I haven't noticed any ill handling effects of it either.
    it's always a matter of compromise. I think the BB could be a tad lower without increasing pedal strikes, or without increasing them to the point of annoyance. Lower BBs are better for high speed handling, which the krampus may not see a ton of, depending on where you ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by santacruzer View Post
    I rode a Krampus for six months before deciding it was so much fun I wanted a lighter version and have been on the Gnar for 6 months now. The Gnarvester is a couple of pounds lighter, a little faster handling with a high enough BB that I can pedal through corners without worrying about being launched into space. I did a 10.5 mile TT last week on the Carver then the same race this week on my Spearfish since I cut one of the Knards and didnít have a spare. I had three pedal strikes on the first mile of trail trying to ride the Spearfish like the Carver and felt like I was going to slide out in every corner
    So far Iíve done two 100 mile races on it, a few TTís, cross country races and some SS Cyclocross races, itís my go to bike unless the trail is so rocky that Iím worried about cutting those stupid tires.
    Sounds like you should try out the newly released Vee Trax Fatty.

Reports are that the volume is a bit lower than the Knard, but the sidewalls are thicker. And it's available now!

mtbr member
    Sounds like you should try out the newly released Vee Trax Fatty.

Reports are that the volume is a bit lower than the Knard, but the sidewalls are thicker. And it's available now!
    I'll have a set of Trax Fatty's tomorrow when the mailman comes around!

mtbr member
    Is there anything you miss about the Krampus?
    Casey Greene - President, Board of Directors - Bikepacking Roots
    bikepackingroots.org

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by flumphboy View Post
    Is there anything you miss about the Krampus?
    Not really, The Gnarvester is lighter, quicker steering and looks a lot nicer. I'm ready to try the new Trax Fatty's out at another TT tomorrow!

74 & 29 pilot
    Got my frame today and started the fun!! Can't wait to get this thing out on the trail. Waiting for a white Fox 32 120 I bought on flea bay, but the seller dropped the ball on shipping it. So I'm robbing some parts from my Les in the mean time.

MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

WNC Native
    FYI- Looks like Carver is updating their website and they now have the Gnarvester listed as having a 12.68" BB height with a 483mm fork. If this is correct it's very close to the same as the Krampus.

74 & 29 pilot
    Finished it up today, but some parts will be swapped when I get the others. Not bad with a Fox 32/120 and 125mm LEV; 26lbs 12oz My rudimentary measuring with an iPhone app says the HA is 68* with the fork which is 520mm A2C. Looking forward to first trail ride in the morn

MTBP

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    okay, that thing is awesome. Why did you mix the knard/trax?

74 & 29 pilot
    okay, that thing is awesome. Why did you mix the knard/trax?
    Thanks, it feels awesome! When I started looking at the 29+ thing, the Knard was the only tire available and I bought one to try out on the front of my Pivot Les. When the Trax Fatty became available, I wanted to try that one for comparison on a true 29+ frame.

Headed out for maiden voyage now!
    MTBP

mtbr member
    Awesome!! No problem with the Knard in the Fox fork? Will a 29+ also fit in a Pike?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    the knard will not fit in a pike, the 120tpi knard will fit in a fox 32 with no grindage. I have one! The 27tpi may be a little tighter.

loud hubs save lives
    nice, looks like a monster truck!

74 & 29 pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by clarkrw3 View Post
    Awesome!! No problem with the Knard in the Fox fork? Will a 29+ also fit in a Pike?
    It does on the one I have, it's the 2014 version. Different years have different shaped cross braces. No, it didn't fit the Pike; Rubs the arch by a couple of mm. It fit in my Fox 34/140, but with less clearance than the 32. I have a used 2012 32/120 coming that I got from flea bay, and will probably drimmel out the arch just to give extra clearance for a 50mm rim. Also, with no air pressure, it does catch the bottom of the steerer, so I'm running a little bit extra PSI, though, I can never get the use of the last 5mm.

Only got in 8 miles this morn, but I can say this thing RIPS and is SO MUCH fun to ride. My Les is officially going to SS now. I broke the 2 of the MTBing golden rules; I didn't double check my equipment and didn't carry the correct tools. 2 of the rear drop out bolts came loose and I didn't have a 6mm allen on my multi tool!! I was able to snug them up enough to get back. I guess I need to torque them down...

Next week I'll get plenty more time on chunky trails, but in the loose and sandy trails this thing rocks. The Trax Fatty never lost grip in the back and the Knard kept the front hooked up on fast loose turns. Still playing with air pressures, and will probably run a little higher in the chunky trails. The frame feels nice and stiff, but almost hard to tell any movement with the big squishy tires. The geometry is dead on and out of the saddle sprint and climbing is very comfortable, actually feels quite sporty though it doesn't look it. Thing just rolls and rolls and rolls....

MTBP

74 & 29 pilot
    So I got the fork I bought for quite cheap on flea bay, and besides taking 2 weeks to ship it, it turns out it's a 34/130mm fork I just said F it and went ahead and modified it for use on the Gnarvester. It had just a little less clearance than the 32/120, but I was planning on dremaling it out to make more room any way. So dremaled it out, put white touch up on it and installed new "old" stye Fox stickers that the LBS had laying around. Went from 68* HA to just a bit more that 67* and put the bike over 27lbs. I'll give it a go for a while and see how I like it.

I did get 20 miles in on it this morn and all I can say is, "It's the MOST fun bike I've owned." I ordered some silver Canfield Bro Crampon Ultimates for it, just to make it even more fun on the sketchy stuff.

Last edited by MTB Pilot; 08-19-2014 at 06:05 AM.
    MTBP

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    If you decide you hate the 34, please let me know. I have a 32 and don't like the flex. The crown also clicks a bit, so I'm looking to replace it at some point.

74 & 29 pilot
    If you decide you hate the 34, please let me know. I have a 32 and don't like the flex. The crown also clicks a bit, so I'm looking to replace it at some point.
    I will let you know...
    MTBP

74 & 29 pilot
    Well, sorry Sandwich. I guess I got lucky on someone else's ignorance. I'm digging the 34/130. I really like the HA and had no problems at all climbing steep, technical terrain today; Didn't feel the front end wanting to come off the ground at all. The fork is much more squishy than either of my 2014 Fox forks. I think the bike looks better with a longer A2C fork.

I finally got it out on some real chunk today, and I'm quite happy with it's performance both climbing and descending chunkier terrain. I really had to play with the air pressure as I felt a few tire to rim channel hits. Ended up with 17psi in the rear with the Trax Fatty from 14.5 on more tame trails. The only thing I need to get used to is the bounce back I get from the front tire when in really slow technical climbing.

This thing is quite a fun descender on the fast, rocky trails. Really easy to manual and pop off of the bigger rocks. Ended on a trail that was quite washed out from storms over the last few days, and got to see how this thing goes through mud and running streams. Impressive; Would have been much harder to get through that stuff with a normal sized tire. I still can't get over how much fun this bike is; Feeling quite bad about ignoring the rest of the fleet.

MTBP

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    :thumbs: glad you're happy with it. There's enough flex with the big wheels and tires that it makes sense to limit it with a stiff bike and fork!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrousjunky View Post
    More info & pics of the AL Prototype - Aluminum 29+ Frame In Testing - Carver Bikes
    Was driving past Bath the other day and stopped in to have a wheel trued and test ride the Gnarvester around the parking lot, also got to see the alloy bike. Same one in the pics, it is super light set up SS and rigid, I didn't ride it as it was a huge frame, the matte black looks great in person though, and at $500 or so, the guy at the shop anticipated selling a lot more Al frames than Ti, but they will keep making the Ti frame too. Man, the front end of the Grarvester feels like a truck with the fork of many names but that bike felt like it would be a ton of fun to ride. I am having second thoughts about my decision to wait for the 29+ Ver Hauen to come out.

AOK
    mtbr member

Introducing the Carver Gnarvester!

Quote Originally Posted by Coloradoxj13 View Post
    wait for the 29+ Ver Hauen to come out.
    Any idea of a timeframe for the 29+ Ver Hauen? I emailed Vassago the other day but no reply.

Alloy Gnarvester looks interesting, but I would rather have a steel frame.

mtbr member
    For those looking to lighten up their Gnarvester, Nextie just released their 50mm carbon 29+ rim, the Jungle Fox. 500g and 200kg weight limit. I just ordered a pair, hope to be riding them in a few weeks.

[Jungle Fox] Carbon Fat Bike 29+ Rim 50mm Width Double Wall Hookless Tubeless Compatible

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by AOK View Post
    Any idea of a timeframe for the 29+ Ver Hauen? I emailed Vassago the other day but no reply.

Alloy Gnarvester looks interesting, but I would rather have a steel frame.
    I was told late fall, but I'd guess early 2015.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Harvesting some Gnar

Introducing the Carver Gnarvester!-gnarvester.jpg

here is my Gnarvester harvesting some Gnarly PI . Its weighs right at 25lbs with Nextie Jungle Fox's running SS.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=MTB Pilot;11383573]Got my frame today and started the fun!!

Did I miss something or does the chain stay BB interface look like a much better design from what was shown earlier in this thread? The plate is now a cross brace for what looks like a much stronger and stiffer set up. MTBPilot: What are your opinions on the stiffness of the frame in this area? I am always concerned about this being an aggressive 200+ pound rider.

Thanks!
    Portland Off Road Navagators

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=bubba13;11475292]
    Quote Originally Posted by MTB Pilot View Post
    Got my frame today and started the fun!!

Did I miss something or does the chain stay BB interface look like a much better design from what was shown earlier in this thread? The plate is now a cross brace for what looks like a much stronger and stiffer set up. MTBPilot: What are your opinions on the stiffness of the frame in this area? I am always concerned about this being an aggressive 200+ pound rider.

Thanks!
    You are correct, it is different from the first pictures in this thread. That frame was the first sold and kind of a prototype. I had some crank clearance issues with it too. When they got the production versions in, Davis swapped my frame out for a new one. All the production frames have the new style setup you see on MTB Pilot's bike. Yes, it's stiffer than the prototype frame, but has a bit less tire clearance. MTB Pilot may chime in as well, but here is my opinion: I am about 190 and ride lots of techy terrain and do not notice any flex while riding. When I am stopped and push hard on the pedals with the brakes on, I can see some flex, but don not notice it at all while riding.

mtbr member

Upgrades!

So I finally got time to install my upgrades to the Gnarvester. The biggest upgrade is a new set of wheels. Carbon 50mm Nextie rims laced to DT 240 hubs. I knew my old wheels were heavy, but I never realized just how heavy they were. Rear wheel weighed 1602g and the front 1419g! New wheels are 973g rear and 850g front, for a total savings of 1198g, or 2.64 pounds! I was also able to eliminate 400g worth of tubes, as these are setup tubeless now. So total wheel weight dropped 3.5 pounds, I'm thinking I will notice that!

The other change is I moved to a 1x10 drivetrain with a One Up 40t granny cog to increase my gear range. Also a sweet custom Ti narrow wide direct mount chainring. I did not weigh that stuff, but I'm guessing that change increased the weigh a bit, but it will be worth it on the longer rides.

No ride report yet, as I am working through a front disc issue, but hopefully soon. Couple of crappy pictures below.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Introducing the Carver Gnarvester!-gnarvester-new-1.jpg  

Introducing the Carver Gnarvester!-gnarvester-new-2.jpg  

Introducing the Carver Gnarvester!-gnarvester-new-3.jpg  

Introducing the Carver Gnarvester!-gnarvester-new-4.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    MTBPilot, bike looks killer! (& I loved the Les too) Curious what size frame and stem length are you running?

Thanks!
    Pedal through it!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Bikeny

Interested in hearing about the rims when you get a chance to ride them.

74 & 29 pilot
    [QUOTE=bubba13;11475292]
    Got my frame today and started the fun!!

Thanks!
    The frame is no where near the stiffness of any of my carbon frames, but like Bikeny said, I don't feel it when riding. I'm 195 w/o gear and this frame will handle your abuse, no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by gsteitz View Post
    MTBPilot, bike looks killer! (& I loved the Les too) Curious what size frame and stem length are you running?

Thanks!
    Thank you! I bought a 19" frame with the 24" TT, but they measure the ST to the joint at the ST and TT. So really it's more like 20.5" ST. It feels fine with my 125mm Lev bottomed out or a 1/4 inch out. I'm running a 40mm syntace now, but the pics are 55mm Easton Haven stem. I love short stems and long bars since I rode mottos as a kid. I'm 6' with 33" inseam.

I love this bike to death, and have been riding it 90% of the time since I got it, but I could make someone a real nice deal on the frame with the Fox 34/130 and a CK Inset headset; If someone wanted, I could include a 70mm Haven stem and maybe some carbon bars. I love 29+ so much, that I'm ready to invest in a carbon frame that can run 29+ and 26 fat.

Cheers!
    Last edited by MTB Pilot; 09-26-2014 at 05:43 AM.
    MTBP

web-footed pedaler
    Aug 2011
    I rode one of the early prototypes, and the rear end did flex. My stats are similar to yours and I could easily get the crank arms to hit the stays under load. They definitely worked out those bugs as my Gnarvester has none of those issues that the early frame did. The clearance with Dually/Knard combo has been more than enough. I've never had a bike I enjoyed this much.

BTW, nice looking build.

[QUOTE=bikeny;11475631]
    Quote Originally Posted by bubba13 View Post

You are correct, it is different from the first pictures in this thread. That frame was the first sold and kind of a prototype. I had some crank clearance issues with it too. When they got the production versions in, Davis swapped my frame out for a new one. All the production frames have the new style setup you see on MTB Pilot's bike. Yes, it's stiffer than the prototype frame, but has a bit less tire clearance. MTB Pilot may chime in as well, but here is my opinion: I am about 190 and ride lots of techy terrain and do not notice any flex while riding. When I am stopped and push hard on the pedals with the brakes on, I can see some flex, but don not notice it at all while riding.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Great looking bikes. I'm riding a Krampus with a 140 fork and love it.

MTB Pilot - wondering about your experience with Derby rims and 29+ tires. I am now on rabbit holes, but am going to relace my hubs to Derby rims (which I run on another bike too and love), basically to lighten things up a bit. Any squirm or flop? It is a pretty big drop in internal width.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=MTB Pilot;11476917]
    Quote Originally Posted by bubba13 View Post

The frame is no where near the stiffness of any of my carbon frames, but like Bikeny said, I don't feel it when riding. I'm 195 w/o gear and this frame will handle your abuse, no problem.

Thank you! I bought a 19" frame with the 24" TT, but they measure the ST to the joint at the ST and TT. So really it's more like 20.5" ST.

Cheers!
    Thanks for the reply's on frame stiffness everyone. Also, thanks for the clarification on frame sizing! For some reason I thought Carver had sized the Gnarvester differently than the 420. That puts me out of the hunt...I have the short legs/long torso curse. The frame size I need won't give me enough room for my 125mm dropper post.
    Portland Off Road Navagators

mtbr member
    If you have any unidentified creaking coming from your Gnar, check the chainstay coupling. Mine was creaking and ticking anytime I went hard and it sounded like it was coming from the bottom bracket. A little grease on the conical coupling and its better than new.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chunkylover53 View Post

MTB Pilot - wondering about your experience with Derby rims and 29+ tires. I am now on rabbit holes, but am going to relace my hubs to Derby rims (which I run on another bike too and love), basically to lighten things up a bit. Any squirm or flop? It is a pretty big drop in internal width.
    Why not go for the Nextie 50mm 29+ rim instead? Cheaper and wider than the Derby.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    The nextie rim would be my first choice, but I have a pair of Derby rims on hand from another project. I look forward to hearing more reports on the nexties.

Why not go for the Nextie 50mm 29+ rim instead? Cheaper and wider than the Derby.

mtbr member
    Reporting back on the performance of the upgrades to my Gnarvester. Cahnges were new Nextie carbon 50mm rims laced to DT Swiss 240 hubs, new 1x10 drivetrain with 40t One Up GC, and I also switched from 175 to 170 cranks. So far, the changes have been a big improvement.

Loosing over 3 pounds of wheel weight is certainly noticeable! But the biggest change is being able to run lower tire pressure without rim strikes. With my old setup, I was running minimum or 14,5 rear and 13 front and would still get a couple of rim strikes per ride. I pumped up the new wheels to the same pressure for the first ride and got no rim strikes. I have not added any air since, and just keep checking the pressure. After my last ride yesterday, the tires were at 13 rear and 11 front, and still no rim strikes. I think I can still go a little lower and will keep experimenting until I find the lower limit, and then go up a bit from there.

The 1x10 drivetrain has also been great. On my last wheelset I was running a singlespeed hub with 6 cogs, 33-13. It worked pretty well, but I could have used some lower gears for the steep stuff. This new setup is just the ticket, and shifting has been perfect.

Anyway, I'm a happy camper!

mtbr member
    The "Gnar Bar" from yesterdays 12 hour race, two of us on SS Gnarvesters and a SS Krampus teamed up with the lofty goal of at least on beer per lap, we did that and threw in some bourbon for good measure, we accidentally got 2nd but won the after race party spot
    Introducing the Carver Gnarvester!-gnarbar.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Narrow wide looks sweet, guessing that is from my brother Joey in Houston? About to build up Derby carbon wheels for my Ti 650bplus project, pretty excited!

74 & 29 pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by chunkylover53 View Post

Sorry didn't see this until today! 3 inch tires, Knard and Trax Fatty, though it is only a 2.7, seem to work well with the Derby rims! I think the 50mm Nextie rims I'm going to build will work a little better, but if there were no other options in carbon, I wouldn't switch from Derby's to the current non tubeless aluminum options.

In less rocky terrain I can get down to about 9-9.5 PSI before feeling in squirm, but in most AZ terrain I'll run 11-12f/14-16r PSIs due to rim strikes. I weight 190-197 lbs without gear, for your reference.

Little Gnarvester stoke!!

Quote Originally Posted by nomadpop View Post
    Narrow wide looks sweet, guessing that is from my brother Joey in Houston? About to build up Derby carbon whees for my Ti 650bplus project, pretty excited!
    HUUUUUUNNNNNNHH... Gnarvester; Are you sure you posted in the right thread?
    MTBP

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nomadpop View Post
    Narrow wide looks sweet, guessing that is from my brother Joey in Houston? About to build up Derby carbon wheels for my Ti 650bplus project, pretty excited!
    Don't know if he's your brother, but yeah, they were made by a Joe in Texas! Loving it so far! Unfortunately, he said he's not doing any more of them in Ti, just too much work/$.

I'd like to see that Ti 650B+ project, I'm working on something similar, also using Derby 650b 40mm rims.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Here I am at the gnar bar during our local 12 hour race this weekend. We raced a 3 man team on ss 29+. 2 gnarvesters and a krampus for a second place finish in the mens open class. Santacruzers gnar on the left mine on the right while the krampus was out for a lap. All I can say is these bikes are a blast.Introducing the Carver Gnarvester!-img_190445562977873.jpeg
    Last edited by silver2ks4; 10-07-2014 at 05:24 PM.

74 & 29 pilot
    I finally built the Jungle Fox rims that have been sitting in a box for a month. I decided to keep my Gnarvester instead of building a Borealis Echo... until next year anyway.

So new 50mm wheel set and swapped my drive train over to 11spd with XO1 cassette, shifter, RD and Shimano 105 chain.

MTBP

mtbr member
    I finally built the Jungle Fox rims that have been sitting in a box for a month. I decided to keep my Gnarvester instead of building a Borealis Echo... until next year anyway.

So new 50mm wheel set and swapped my drive train over to 11spd with XO1 cassette, shifter, RD and Shimano 105 chain.
    Looking good MTB Pilot! I'm really happy with the Nexties so far. You should see quite a bit of improvement over the narrower rims. Definitely play with the your tire pressure to find how low you can go, makes a huge difference in traction and comfort. I can safely run 12 front and 14 back with no rim strikes, lower if I am a little careful.

One question: Why are you running the sliders so far back? I am running mine just forward of the midpoint without any tire rub. I think it makes the bike more playful on the tight twisty stuff. Maybe you are looking for more stability as the speed picks up?

Anyway, enjoy!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Can I start a small discussion on height vs. frame size for the Gnarvester? I'm finally getting close to taking the plunge on this bike since I haven't heard anything further from Vassago about the 29+ VerHauen, Iwill try to get it built over the winter. I'm around 5'8", currently riding a medium Ibis Mojo and I've always felt it is too small. I like a more stretched out top tube, used to ride an 18.5" Giant NRS and a 18" Kona from the mid-90's, on a 54cm road bike as well (Spec Roubaix). I think this bike is going to replace my Mojo and my 29er SS, my better half will be happy with one less bike in the apartment :-)

mtbr member

Can I start a small discussion on height vs. frame size for the Gnarvester? I'm finally getting close to taking the plunge on this bike since I haven't heard anything further from Vassago about the 29+ VerHauen, Iwill try to get it built over the winter. I'm around 5'8", currently riding a medium Ibis Mojo and I've always felt it is too small. I like a more stretched out top tube, used to ride an 18.5" Giant NRS and a 18" Kona from the mid-90's, on a 54cm road bike as well (Spec Roubaix). I think this bike is going to replace my Mojo and my 29er SS, my better half will be happy with one less bike in the apartment :-)
    I am getting ready to order a Gnarvester and currently ride a medium Czar. I am leaning towards a 17. I had a medium Beargrease and was happy with the fit. I am considering the 18, as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

74 & 29 pilot

Quote Originally Posted by mnyquist View Post
    I am getting ready to order a Gnarvester and currently ride a medium Czar. I am leaning towards a 17. I had a medium Beargrease and was happy with the fit. I am considering the 18, as well.

I would call them and get the exact ST length. I ordered the 19" and it's actually 20.5" to the top of the ST. They apparently measure to where the TT and ST meet. I was wanting to run a 150mm dropper, but instead I'm running 125mm dropper slammed down. It works fine and the bike doesn't feel too big, but I would still like a shorter ST. They said I could have it cut, and not void the warranty, but I just can bring myself to do it.
    MTBP

74 & 29 pilot
    Looking good MTB Pilot! I'm really happy with the Nexties so far. You should see quite a bit of improvement over the narrower rims. Definitely play with the your tire pressure to find how low you can go, makes a huge difference in traction and comfort. I can safely run 12 front and 14 back with no rim strikes, lower if I am a little careful.

One question: Why are you running the sliders so far back? I am running mine just forward of the midpoint without any tire rub. I think it makes the bike more playful on the tight twisty stuff. Maybe you are looking for more stability as the speed picks up?

Anyway, enjoy!
    Thanks bikeny! I got out and did a quick 8 miler on really chuncky terrain and the new wheels and tires performed well. There is a definite improvement in all aspects for the Knards. I started out with 12psi in the front and 14psi in the rear, but ended with just over 10psi front and 11.5 rear. I'm running a 72 TPI in the rear, so it seems to run less PSI before side wall collapse under my 200lbs a$$. I will run about 8 front and 9 rear on our more tame loose over and sandy trails with no problems; I did with the 35mm Derby's.

My buddy at LBS that finished the rear wheel build for me, moved the sliders back because he had 25psi in the tire when he reinstalled it and thought it would rub. With the pressure down to normal, there is plenty of room and I will probably move them back to mid way or a little forward of mid. I didn't really notice a difference today, but it wasn't a long ride and not a lot of fast tight and twisty trails.

MTBP

mtbr member
    May 2005
    those hoops look AWESOME! Looks like I know what I want for Kwanza! I was thinking of some 35mm and didn't even know Nextie came out with these (so much for them emailing me when they are ready) I was bugging the sh&* out of them last year on them. (I'm sure all of you were too) Nice to hear the ride reports. I am current on a set of Northpaws/hope hubs. I think I would loose 130g per wheel + could run tubless and loose the tube weight (can the sealant)
    Perfect number of bikes (n) + 1

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mnyquist View Post

As always, you should base your frame size on the ETT length, not seat tube length. I'm 5'10" and am on an 18" frame and it's perfect for me. I could probably ride a 17" as well for a more sporty feel, but I'm really happy with the 18".

mtbr member
    Thanks bikeny! I got out and did a quick 8 miler on really chuncky terrain and the new wheels and tires performed well. There is a definite improvement in all aspects for the Knards. I started out with 12psi in the front and 14psi in the rear, but ended with just over 10psi front and 11.5 rear. I'm running a 72 TPI in the rear, so it seems to run less PSI before side wall collapse under my 200lbs a$$. I will run about 8 front and 9 rear on our more tame loose over and sandy trails with no problems; I did with the 35mm Derby's.

My buddy at LBS that finished the rear wheel build for me, moved the sliders back because he had 25psi in the tire when he reinstalled it and thought it would rub. With the pressure down to normal, there is plenty of room and I will probably move them back to mid way or a little forward of mid. I didn't really notice a difference today, but it wasn't a long ride and not a lot of fast tight and twisty trails.
    Wow, that's really low pressure! Then again, a lot of my trails are basically rock gardens! And yeah, the Knards really plump up when at higher pressure, I can't imagine riding them at 25 psi! I actually pumped mine up to 18F & 20R the other day for a dirt road ride, and they rolled surprisingly well, but I could get the back to rub when cranking out of the saddle on a few hills. But at normal trail pressures, no rub at all.

Enjoy the Gnar!

mtbr member
    I've finally got my Gnarvester set up perfectly (for me)
    Carver fork, Carver bars, Hugo wheels, Chronicle tires, 22lbs of fun. My other bikes are jealous
    Introducing the Carver Gnarvester!-carver4.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Beautiful! How did you get the Hugo and Chronicle right away?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Gnarvestor inspired:

Custom Carver, my Multitool

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I've finally got my Gnarvester set up perfectly (for me)
    Carver fork, Carver bars, Hugo wheels, Chronicle tires, 22lbs of fun. My other bikes are jealous
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	carver4.jpg 
Views:	1987 
Size:	159.3 KB 
ID:	942048
    Is that the 470 or 490 fork? Why did you choose the length that you went with?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by neilyo537 View Post
    Beautiful! How did you get the Hugo and Chronicle right away?
    I had my bike shop order the Hugo's months ago and kept bugging them, the Chronicle I ordered off of eBay from Australia, three weeks and one slow boat later, I got them

mtbr member
    Is that the 470 or 490 fork? Why did you choose the length that you went with?
    It's the XC 470, as far as I know it's the only Carver fork compatible with the 29+ tire

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    It's the XC 470, as far as I know it's the only Carver fork compatible with the 29+ tire
    They offer a fork called the Trail 490 plus with the Gnarvester builds on their website, although there is nothing about the fork that suggests it can fit a 29+. Bikeny has one on his gnarvester though.

Omnipotent
    May 2011
    Titanium - The Alloy of The GODS! *Praise* OMFG, it's so attractive! Like a spaceship or something alien to my senses! Never corrodes, rusts, FLEX-tough, no paint needed. Just RAW ALLOY dominating anything hater-nature can conjure!

I WANT A Ti FRAME OMG! WHY$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

What a ride OP... I wish some day to own similar. For now all I've got is a Antique Ti XTR comp set. Brings a huge smile on my face when I see the "SS" rusting, while the Ti comps show zero effect LOL... "Stainless Steel..." HAHA! Hrmm would like to try that uber Reynolds 85x/95x, but thin tubes and price comparable to Ti... Only a gift or lotto ticket would enable such an adventure.

MTB B'dos
    Damn, damn, damn, I messed up When it was just theory it seemed really cool, would be nice to try 29+, never did order the Blunt35s, stuff happened, but then I got some 29+ tyres to try just for giggles. Well I mounted up one on the front of my Monkey on Tuesday on a WTB ST i25 rim with a 2.4" Ardent out back and did a ride across some of our coral cliffs and it was a blast, didn't feel beat up at all, just about the same for a nice 4-5 hour ride on the FS for the 2 hours out on the rigid. Have a Dually 45mm rim coming to lace for the Monkey front and imagine it'll just be better, so now this has gone from theory and "could be cool" to "I want!" Can't afford Ti for sure, but could swing $500 or so for an alu HT, so if Carver brings that alu version to market I'm going to have to sell some body part to afford a proper build. Rode the FS this evening and nice, high volume 2.35" Ikon on the front looked just anorexic Little FYI, I tried 29+ in the Phantom and they fit F&R , but not with loads fo room, but 650B could be an interesting alternative.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I just purchased the Carver XC 490 fork with the aluminum steer and 15 mm TA to fit a 29+ tire. The 490 trail version will not fit a 29+ tire.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jekyll2003 View Post
    I just purchased the Carver XC 490 fork with the aluminum steer and 15 mm TA to fit a 29+ tire. The 490 trail version will not fit a 29+ tire.
    I think you got the best fork option. The 490 full carbon fork does fit 29+, I ran it for about a year. Not a ton of room, but it worked fine. Unfortunately, mine developed some cracks under the crown, so it went back to Carver. I got the full carbon 470 as a replacement, and not real happy with it. Handling is a bit quicker than I would like, and it doesn't have anymore tire clearance. Trying to decide what to do now.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    They do offer the trail 490 as an option for the gnarvester, so I have to imagine that they approve it for use with 29+.

74 & 29 pilot
    So I did a 31.5 mile, 5000' climbing and descending race this weekend in the McDowell Mts and this bike performed beautifully!!! The only thing holding it back was me and my only goal was to finish This is a seriously chunky, sandy and loose over hard surface course. Not a single problem and was so comfortable for 4:30 hours of rolling time. My Knards are performing quite well on the Nextie JF rims also. I was blasting the chunky descents and not ever a slip, burp or tear. The Nextie rims are solid as well, I had a least 3 hard bottom out to rim in the race and this morning's ride and no sign of weakness! I'm using a 27TPI Knard in the rear at about 14 PSI.

This morning in the McDowell's, I took it up a trail that turns into a wash going up into the mts. Its full of sand and boulders and layers of baby heads, and the bike just makes it easy and sooooooo much fun to get through that terrain.

I keep thinking about buying a Borealis Echo frame and Bluto 120mm fork, but I just don't know if it's worth the money to lose .5-.75 lbs, when the Gnarvester is already such a great performer!!??

I F'n LOVE THIS BIKE!!!!!

MTBP

mtbr member
    Very cool

I preordered an Aluminum Gnarvester. Looking forward to it's arrival in January.
    So I did a 31.5 mile, 5000' climbing and descending race this weekend in the McDowell Mts and this bike performed beautifully!!! The only thing holding it back was me and my only goal was to finish This is a seriously chunky, sandy and loose over hard surface course. Not a single problem and was so comfortable for 4:30 hours of rolling time. My Knards are performing quite well on the Nextie JF rims also. I was blasting the chunky descents and not ever a slip, burp or tear. The Nextie rims are solid as well, I had a least 3 hard bottom out to rim in the race and this morning's ride and no sign of weakness! I'm using a 27TPI Knard in the rear at about 14 PSI.

This morning in the McDowell's, I took it up a trail that turns into a wash going up into the mts. Its full of sand and boulders and layers of baby heads, and the bike just makes it easy and sooooooo much fun to get through that terrain.

I keep thinking about buying a Borealis Echo frame and Bluto 120mm fork, but I just don't know if it's worth the money to lose .5-.75 lbs, when the Gnarvester is already such a great performer!!??

I F'n LOVE THIS BIKE!!!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Quote Originally Posted by flyinmike View Post
    Very cool

I preordered an Aluminum Gnarvester. Looking forward to it's arrival in January.
    Do they have them listed yet? What's the price like?

mtbr member
    From Facebook:
    Carver_Bikes Projected price is $500, release date is by the end of the year. Hopefulle late fall! Geometry will match our existing Gnarvester exactly: Aluminum 29+ Frame In Testing - Carver Bikes

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

From Facebook:
    Carver_Bikes Projected price is $500, release date is by the end of the year. Hopefulle late fall! Geometry will match our existing Gnarvester exactly: Aluminum 29+ Frame In Testing - Carver Bikes
    That's cheaper than a Krampus.

74 & 29 pilot
    The option is available on their website; Don't know if that means it will ship right away. $800
    MTBP

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    The option is available on their website; Don't know if that means it will ship right away. $800
    From Facebook:
    " the current price is $599.95, give us a call at 1-800-BIKEMAN or email forrest@bikeman.com to get on the preorder list. Numbers are still good..."

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

From Facebook:
    " the current price is $599.95, give us a call at 1-800-BIKEMAN or email forrest@bikeman.com to get on the preorder list. Numbers are still good..."
    With nice sliders too. Not so sure about aluminum - but the tires are so big it may not matter. With a carbon fork, it would be pounds lighter than the Krampus for about the same price.

MTB B'dos
    I'd personally wish it'd have the same geo MTB Pilot has with the 100mm suspension fork, but using a rigid 470-490 A2C one, i.e. 69* HTA

From Facebook:

mtbr member
    For $800, you can get your own custom Chinese Ti frame shipped to your door. Seems pretty ambitious for a spec aluminum frame.

mtbr member
    Expecting it sometime in January $599 +shipping
    I called Carver and placed a preorder a few weeks ago.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Quote Originally Posted by flyinmike View Post
    Expecting it sometime in January $599 +shipping
    I called Carver and placed a preorder a few weeks ago.
    Not a bad deal. I wonder if it will have any creaking issues? I'm between this and the lead filled Krampus.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Another potential customer here. No hurry, so will wait for more info on geometry and crank clearance - I'd like to run not-so-high Q cranks and an IGH.

mtbr member

For other Gnarvester owners - I am having to choose between a 17" or 19" frame as the al will not come in in 18". Any recommendations? My other bikes measure such that the 18" would be perfect. I'm 5'10", 30-31" inseam. I currently ride a medium Yeti SB-95c and a medium Niner EMD. I had a medium Misfit Dissent which was too small.

Forrest had suggested sizing up to the 19" if the stand over (31") would work for me. This is what I am leaning towards unless someone has any other input?

MTB B'dos
    Look at the REACH measurement on your current rides, see what it is, pick the size which is closest to that, if you have to go for slightly bigger/longer size if you want to run a short stem.

Quote Originally Posted by trumpus View Post
    For other Gnarvester owners - I am having to choose between a 17" or 19" frame as the al will not come in in 18". Any recommendations? My other bikes measure such that the 18" would be perfect. I'm 5'10", 30-31" inseam. I currently ride a medium Yeti SB-95c and a medium Niner EMD. I had a medium Misfit Dissent which was too small.

Forrest had suggested sizing up to the 19" if the stand over (31") would work for me. This is what I am leaning towards unless someone has any other input?

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Trumpus - hope this helps: I'm 5'10" with a 31" inseam. And, like you, I'm on a medium SB95. My Gnarvester is a 19" with a 780mm bar and 40mm stem, and I'm very happy with this setup. A 17" frame would definitely be too small "for me" with this bar/stem combination. I have it set up as a rigid SS, and it is unbelievably fun. I had a chance to visit the Carver shop earlier this year, and they are a really GREAT group of folks, and I am sure you will have an excellent experience doing business with them. Looks like you are in NC - I was in Brevard back in September for a week - I had a blast with the Gnarvester running it singlespeed at Bracken Mtn and Dupont, and I used the geared Yeti for some long, steep rides in Pisgah. I found this to be a great combination of bikes for WNC.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast