mtbr member

Industry 9 BackCountry 450 wheel set?

I know that people always have good things to say about i9 hubs, but has anyone tried their full wheel sets, particularly the BackCountry 450 wheels?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CrankAddictRich View Post
    I know that people always have good things to say about i9 hubs, but has anyone tried their full wheel sets, particularly the BackCountry 450 wheels?

That wheelset I havenít. But I did have their Enduro 305 wheelset and it was stellar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wretch
    I've got the 29+ BC 450's w/ Minion 3.0's on my bike. Back one has taken a beating - just got it trued up after 1 season of use riding them hard in Tahoe / Truckee area. Love em. Little gorilla tape and a bucket of Stans and i'm rolling!

I've had a mechanic or two refuse to work on them due to the proprietary nature. Provided you have enough spare spokes I don't see an issue with it.

I've had to take the hub apart and rebuild / tension to get some play out of the axle but that's the extent of it. My Eagle cassette is currently stuck on there so we'll see what we're dealing with there. If I were to buy another wheelset, of any kind, i'd likely get an I9.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I have the 360's in 27.5. They are rock solid. I9 knows what they're doing. There is nothing proprietary in their nature for a mechanic to tune-up, outside replacing a spoke (which can be ordered). They accept one of the most standard spoke nipple size tools for adjustments, but the way the threading is, needs half of the input a standard 3-cross 32h wheelset does. So small increments when truing. If you purchase new it will come with spare spokes. Otherwise definitely get some. I honestly don't see how one can break one of these spokes though, they seem crazy over built and really, really strong, but still super light.

Also, you can always send your wheelset in to I9 for service. Their rates are very reasonable.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Truckee Trash View Post
    My Eagle cassette is currently stuck on there so we'll see what we're dealing with there. If I were to buy another wheelset, of any kind, i'd likely get an I9.
    Freehub body should be greased when installing cassette. Maybe it wasn't?

mtbr member
    The spokes are Aluminum, I believe. That would be a concern.

mtbr member
    I had always heard good things about I9, but then I saw a video on the Singletrack Sampler channel where he did a walkthrough of the factory with the owner and I was super impressed. The mechanic in my LBS builds up a lot of wheels with I9 hubs and he raves about them. It sounds like the complete wheel sets are equally robust.

mtbr member
    Theyíre are robust in deed. I had a crash in snow shoe last year that should have destroyed my Enduro 305 front wheel and instead I broke my frame at the top tube right behind the head tube

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have Flat Pedal shame.
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by wgscott View Post
    The spokes are Aluminum, I believe. That would be a concern.
    They use 7075 aluminum, which is about twice as strong as the standard 6061 aluminum.
    We don't ride to add days to our life, we ride to add life to the days we have left here.

Oat
    mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I have this set of wheels. It is the first set of wheels That I have owned by I9. The only issue I have with them is taking off the tires. It is so tight. Anyone else out there have that problem?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Oat View Post
    I have this set of wheels. It is the first set of wheels That I have owned by I9. The only issue I have with them is taking off the tires. It is so tight. Anyone else out there have that problem?
    Ensure both sides of the tire bead are as close to the center channel ("U" Depression) as possible.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I recently e-mailed I9 regarding my Backcountry 360 set, asking what height jumps/drops I should avoid and whatnot. They told me they designed the wheels for anything you can do on a bike. WHAT COMPANY TELLS YOU THAT?!

Oat
    mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by TheArmand View Post
    Ensure both sides of the tire bead are as close to the center channel ("U" Depression) as possible.
    When I say tight, I mean this. I could not get the beads off the rim, not with the normal plastic bike tools, not with a screw driver, not with 2 extra set of hands.

Finally I used a screwdriver (was putting on a new tire anyway) to punch a hole, then a razor blade to cut the beads, and not on just one side, but both sides of the tires. I have been biking for over 20 years. Road bike tires are a little stiff and takes a little more time than Mountain bike tires. I have tried everything I can think of.

It was actually pretty entertaining. Bummer thing is. If I ever go flat, and need to use a tube and I am out in the middle of nowhere. I am hiking out. I wont be able to get tire off.

But the wheels still rock. From what I understand This is a tough thing for plus size bikes. However, my friend that has a fat bike no prob changing tires. I am personally thinking this backcountry 450 45mm internal width is just too wide for the 3.0 tires.

Anyone have the backcountry 360 29 plus?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Rims are not the only part of the equation. Your tires have something to do with it. Especially if you're using WTB. We stopped carrying WTB mtb tires at my last shop because they would be such a PITA to properly seat. Anyways, back to I9 wheels, don't jack the thread.

Oat
    mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Cool. Just trying to figure it out, and have not been able to find any help. But do not ise WTB? Okay. Will try that

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I have a set in 29'' 15*110 and 157*12, and they have been bulletproof on my Waltworks. I do switch my wheels around so not riding them all the time, but I am not holding back when I do. Set them up with DHF/DHR without any issues.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I have the Bontrager Carbon Line pro 40s if I did it all over again would but these and not waste time with the Carbon rims (not to mention i9 hubs are amazing). I have 3 other bikes with at least a i9 rear hub and have only had one issue. When I did have the issue I still managed to get out of the woods, the hub was well past its warranty and i9 still repaired free of charge anyway. I literally shipped them the wheel on Monday and had it back the Friday of that week.

As long as they keep that level of service up I'm going to continue to be a repeat customer.
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

mtbr member
    I have a set of these right now, and they are amazing but the 450's in 27.5 might be a tad to wide for my bike with 2.8 tires. If I come in contact with any mud I get rubbing. Im thinking of selling them and buying some 360's of course im going to take a huge hit..
    2018 Canyon Spectral
    2016 Ibis Ripley OG
    2016 Salsa Bucksaw

mtbr member
    I have the 360 BC 29ers on my Stache 7. Me likey
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Industry 9 BackCountry 450 wheel set?-fullsizeoutput_6a.jpg  

2015 Scalpel Carbon Team/Eagle 1x12
    2015 Scalpel Carbon Team #2
    2017 Stache 7
    2016 Boone RSL
    2016 CAAD 12

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Iíve got a set of 29+ BC 360ís..... I opted to use the full DH spoke in my build because Iím a fat bastard at 305.... aside from the bearings exploding in the rear hub they have been perfect... The only weakness they have is the bearings, which if you stay on top of them and service them unlike I did Youíll be fine.

29er zealot
    Quote Originally Posted by ethierjung View Post
    I have the 360 BC 29ers on my Stache 7. Me likey
    Are you happy with the tire profile? I'm debating between the 360s and 450's for my timberjack and can't make a decision!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by froth14 View Post
    Are you happy with the tire profile? I'm debating between the 360s and 450's for my timberjack and can't make a decision!
    I'd like to know this too. I'm about to pull the trigger and have been debating on the 360 vs 450 thing myself.

mtbr member
    I have a set of BC450's coming tomorrow... so stoked. I can't wait to put them on my Fuse.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I've had a set of the 450's on my PonyRustler for about a year. I am a heavier rider at around 250lbs, and ride fairly aggressively. They have held up awesome. No issues what so ever and the rims are nice and stiff.

mtbr member
    I got my 450's last Wednesday and installed them that evening. I set them up tubeless and it was easy... no hassles at all. I'm using them on a Specialized Fuse with the stock Specialized Purgatory/Ground Control tires. The mounted up easily, by hand with no tools. I pulled the valve core out and was able to seat the beads using just my floor pump. I put sealant in using the Stan's sealant injector, no issues and then pumped them back up. I spent 2-3 minutes "driving the bus" basically just spinning the wheels and shaking them trying to get the sealant as spread out as possible to find any possible leaks... I couldn't see or hear any and there was no sign of sealant anywhere.

This weekend I got out on the bike a few times... a couple of time I was just rolling around in the yard, gain up and down a little root rollover in front of my house, but I also got out to a small local trail system with my son for his first MTB ride. Its a pretty easy trail spot with nothing too tech, mostly fire roads and some easy single track, but everything felt great. There's a few steep little pitches that are kind go gravel, shale, root climbs. I got up them with ease. The tires felt great and the rear hub engagement is just awesome. The second you think about pedaling forward, the hb is engaged.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    I have BC360s and Enduro 305s and love em. I saw a bike in the shop with BC450s and 3.0 tires, and the tires looked much better rounded than my stock 6fattie i38 setup on my Fuse.
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol XXL
    2016 Fuse Pro XXL 29er

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TNTall View Post
    I have BC360s and Enduro 305s and love em. I saw a bike in the shop with BC450s and 3.0 tires, and the tires looked much better rounded than my stock 6fattie i38 setup on my Fuse.
    My Fuse came with the WTB Scraper i45 wheels. Overall, the wheel wasn't great. The rear hubs that Specialized used had a lot of free play before they'd engage and it seems they got a custom hoop (not the version that WTB listed on their site) with less spokes, maybe to bring weight down? They'd o out of true pretty easily, getting banged around in the woods.... the one thing I really liked about them though was the way the tires fit on them. I have a good buddy with a newer Fuse comp that has the 38mm wheels and his tires just do't look the same as mine, even though they are. The width of the rim really spreads out the tire and gives it a fat square look that inspires confidence. When I was looking for wheels, I was looking for 45mm rims just like the stock Scrapers. At one point, Iwas actually gonna buy a set of scraper hoops and i9 hubs and have my local shop lace them. researching the hubs was how I discovered the BC450's. I'm glad I went that route.