Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    mtbr member

Hayduke 27.5+ hardtail

Anxiously awaiting till September to bikepack 6000km (4000 miles) along the Cordillera de los Andes with Advocate Cycles' Hayduke 27.5+ hardtail

Hayduke

Saludos,
    Federico
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hayduke 27.5+ hardtail-hayduke.jpg  

Hayduke 27.5+ hardtail-hayduke-details-web1.gif  

Cycling in developing countries, making & printing portraits for those families who've NONE. www.theironlyportrait.com

mtbr member
    Looks decent for a trail bike, but I can think of better options for a 4000 mile tour in South America.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeny View Post
    Looks decent for a trail bike, but I can think of better options for a 4000 mile tour in South America.
    Hola bikeny,

Next year I'm also planning to explore Bolivia & Ecuador off-road with this same bike (another 4000+ miles).... in your opinion, which ones are a better option?

Saludos,
    Federico
    Cycling in developing countries, making & printing portraits for those families who've NONE. www.theironlyportrait.com

Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
    I sent Hayduke an email requesting pricing and additional option and got no response.
    GIS/GPS Pro using ArcFM for Utility Mapping - Always willing to connect with other MTBers in the industry.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheirOnlyPortrait View Post
    Hola bikeny,

Next year I'm also planning to explore Bolivia & Ecuador off-road with this same bike (another 4000+ miles).... in your opinion, which ones are a better option?

Saludos,
    Federico
    I'm just saying it doesn't look like it's designed for that purpose. If I was doing that kind or ride, I would want a rigid fork with everything/bottle cage mounts, rack/fender mounts, everything mounts on the bottom of the downtube, 29+ tires on 35mm-40mm rims so I could run normal 29er tires in a pinch, longer chainstays, no dropper post, normal 100/135 QR wheels, and a standard threaded bottom bracket.

Something like a Surly ECR or a Jones Plus would be my first choice. Or the custom Waltworks that he is welded for me right now!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PHeller View Post
    I sent Hayduke an email requesting pricing and additional option and got no response.
    Hola PHeller,

I'm sorry to hear you didn't get an answer to your mail from Advocate Cycles, yet. I know they had been traveling a lot (and they're designing another model, too) and that might be the reason for the delay...

On the other hand, I'm getting a Hayduke in September for my Project (Their Only Portrait. Portraits & Cycling) but I'm not 100% sure when that production lot will hit the stores.

I hope they get back to you soon and I'll let Tim know about your mail as soon as I get in touch with him

Saludos,
    Federico

mtbr member
    I'm just saying it doesn't look like it's designed for that purpose. If I was doing that kind or ride, I would want a rigid fork with everything/bottle cage mounts, rack/fender mounts, everything mounts on the bottom of the downtube, 29+ tires on 35mm-40mm rims so I could run normal 29er tires in a pinch, longer chainstays, no dropper post, normal 100/135 QR wheels, and a standard threaded bottom bracket.

Something like a Surly ECR or a Jones Plus would be my first choice. Or the custom Waltworks that he is welded for me right now!
    Hola bikeny,

My Hayduke will have a 120mm rigid fork with a 100mm dynamo hub and everything/bottle cages mount & eyelets for racks

For Argentina I'll be using 29x2.4 tires in 45mm rims and I'll be using 27.5x3.0 in 52mm rims for Bolivia!

Unfortunately Surly's ECR wasn't designed to use 29er tires, but I do LOVE their Krampus... the only problem is that I don't like how QBP handles their business and I LOVE that Advocate Cycles exists solely to create innovative bicycles and deliver 100% of profits from the company back to cycling advocacy efforts!

I also prefer Patagonia over other outdoor brands, even when I know their products aren't always the best option available

Saludos,
    Federico

mtbr member
    Hola bikeny,

My Hayduke will have a 120mm rigid fork with a 100mm dynamo hub and everything/bottle cages mount & eyelets for racks

For Argentina I'll be using 29x2.4 tires in 45mm rims and I'll be using 27.5x3.0 in 52mm rims for Bolivia!

Unfortunately Surly's ECR wasn't designed to use 29er tires, but I do LOVE their Krampus... the only problem is that I don't like how QBP handles their business and I LOVE that Advocate Cycles exists solely to create innovative bicycles and deliver 100% of profits from the company back to cycling advocacy efforts!

I also prefer Patagonia over other outdoor brands, even when I know their products aren't always the best option available

Saludos,
    Federico
    Thanks for adding this information, it gives a little more insight into your choices. Sounds like you have thought this through and have made some good decisions there. I applaud your support of companies like that and of your mission on these rides. I wish I had the time and drive to take on a project like this!

Best of luck on your adventures, and I look forward to reading more about them here!

Mark

mtbr member
    Thanks for adding this information, it gives a little more insight into your choices. Sounds like you have thought this through and have made some good decisions there. I applaud your support of companies like that and of your mission on these rides. I wish I had the time and drive to take on a project like this!

Best of luck on your adventures, and I look forward to reading more about them here!

Mark
    Hola Mark,

Thanks for your message!!! The first step for me was to realize the importance of time over money & material wealth... and I somehow found the courage to leave behind a career in Foreign Trade (15+ years) almost 4 years ago.
    Now the big problem isn't time but money, as it's not as easy in South America to get support from the community as it's in USA or Europe, but I'm determined to make a difference even if it's one print at a time!

Your can read about my 1st warm up trip at bikepacking & expedition's forum (Bikepacking with a dirt jumper?)

With some luck (as the Hayduke won't be ready, yet) for my 2nd warm up trip I'll be bikepacking BR-319, a 600 miles trip through one of the best preserved areas of the Amazon jungle. This road was abandoned decades ago and was reclaimed by nature… the locals called it “caminho das Oncas” as it’s still one of the few places where it’s common to spot the endangered big cat (Jaguar).

And you can obviously check Their Only Portrait. Portraits & Cycling

Saludos!
    Federico

mtbr member
    Pricing is on the website. Advocatecycles.com

I think its awesome what they are doing but I asked them if they'd make drop-outs to fit a 29+ in the Hayduke and never got any response. They also don't list the price of frame only on the website either.
    GIS/GPS Pro using ArcFM for Utility Mapping - Always willing to connect with other MTBers in the industry.

old and slow
    What would 29+ specific dropouts be? They come with either 142mm or 148mm dropouts. The price of $750 for frames has been reported in various stories. Act fast and you can get it for $650 (or $1650 for Ti).
    https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/a...-cycles#/story
    There's only two things in life (but I forget what they are). - John Hiatt

They make (or design) their own dropouts. My guess is that they could make dropouts that lengthen the chainstays to accommodate a large tire.

They don't elude to making the frames in the USA, so they probably need a minimum order to produce the amount of frames necessary at a given price point. It will be interesting to see what happens after the initial order. Will they have left-overs? What happens if they meet the minimum? Will they give your money back?

mtbr member
    I think its awesome what they are doing but I asked them if they'd make drop-outs to fit a 29+ in the Hayduke and never got any response. They also don't list the price of frame only on the website either.
    Hola PHeller,

They updated their website and now they're showing prices for their frames and complete bikes... and as BluesDawg mentioned you can get them cheaper till the end of July through their crowdfunding campaign

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/a...-cycles#/story

They're working on a third bike, but not sure if that will be a 29+

Saludos,
    Federico

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Anyone pick one of these up yet? This looks like a great, well thought out ride!

mtbr member
    Hola Wilson,

I already did 1000 miles at Southern Patagonia with mine (titanium) and it's AWESOME!

Hayduke 27.5+ hardtail-dscf6391.jpg
    Hayduke 27.5+ hardtail-g0135100.jpg
    Hayduke 27.5+ hardtail-_mg_8882.jpg
    Hayduke 27.5+ hardtail-_mg_8665.jpg
    Hayduke 27.5+ hardtail-_mg_8761.jpg
    Hayduke 27.5+ hardtail-_mg_8750.jpg

Saludos,
    Federico
    Their Only Portrait | Portraits & Cycling

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Been eyeing the "Plusbike" market and this might be the ticket for me. My 29 x 2.4 ardent SS Coconino has been beyond wonderful, but after 7 years I want some gears on occasion. Of everything out there currently, this seems like a very well thought out bike using this platform. I love steel(never ridden ti) and seems like a great build for the price. The geo seems very versatile. Kind of a one bike quiver bike! Thanks for the pics!

mtbr member
    Hola Wilson,

I LOVE riding this bike even with the extra-weight I'm carrying through Patagonia (I'd to add a rear rack with panniers to carry the Portable Photography Studio) facing crazy winds and bad road conditions (with a 1x10 setup).
    I think this bike can be used for ANYTHING just by selecting the right tire & rim combo

Soon I'll be using a 29x2.4 & 35mm rims combo... and next year for Bolivia, I'll try 27.5x3.0 (WTB Trail Boss) with 45mm rims

Saludos,
    Federico

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Theironlyportrait, what rims/tire combos have you tried on this bike so far? What drives your rim/tire combo choices above? I ride 29 x 2.4 on 35mm rims and its great! 27.5 x 3 is very appealing but not sure what rim size is ideal. If you have experience with 27.5 x 3 on a given rim size, your feedback and thoughts are appreciated.

mtbr member
    Hola Wilson!

I hope you had a lovely Christmas

Unfortunately, so far, I only tried 29 x 2.4 (35mm rims) & 27.5 x 2.8 (45mm rims)... but I'm anxiously awaiting to try the new WTB Trail Boss (27.5 x 3.0) with the same 45mm rims I'm using with the TrailBlazers (WTB Scrapers)!

Saludos,
    Federico

PS: I choose the tire/rim combo depending on how much pavement I'll need to ride... more than 50% will get the Ardents, unless the gravel/trail part is really bad (as the one found at Southern Patagonia).

Witty McWitterson
    I picked mine up a couple weeks ago. I've moved from 29" to 29+ to now 27.5+. I still have my regular[really? regular? how in the hell is a fat bike now considered regular?] fat bike, this Hayduke, and a standard 29er I use for...not much.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hayduke 27.5+ hardtail-1450625344898%5B1%5D.jpg  

Hayduke 27.5+ hardtail-1450625332856%5B1%5D.jpg  

Just a regular guy.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ~martini~ View Post
    I picked mine up a couple weeks ago. I've moved from 29" to 29+ to now 27.5+. I still have my regular[really? regular? how in the hell is a fat bike now considered regular?] fat bike, this Hayduke, and a standard 29er I use for...not much.
    Very clean looking bike! I want one... badly.

I picked mine up a couple weeks ago. I've moved from 29" to 29+ to now 27.5+.
    Curious on your thoughts of 29+ vs 27.5+. I've heard some people say that 29+ is unmatched, others think its just too much.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson1417 View Post
    Been eyeing the "Plusbike" market and this might be the ticket for me. My 29 x 2.4 ardent SS Coconino has been beyond wonderful, but after 7 years I want some gears on occasion.
    If I had the money I'd love to go a local builder (I'm in Flagstaff) and work with them one on one to build a bike. Steve would probably hate me though because I'd want to be a maybe a bit too involved. I think Coconino has built some 29+ models. Not getting any cheap, though.

mtbr member
    Hola,

Here are a few more photos of my Hayduke at Tierra del Fuego, Patagonia...

Hayduke 27.5+ hardtail-_mg_8608.jpg
    Hayduke 27.5+ hardtail-_mg_8921.jpg
    Hayduke 27.5+ hardtail-_mg_8925.jpg

Saludos,
    Federico
    Their Only Portrait. Portraits & Cycling

mtbr member
    If I had the money I'd love to go a local builder (I'm in Flagstaff) and work with them one on one to build a bike. Steve would probably hate me though because I'd want to be a maybe a bit too involved. I think Coconino has built some 29+ models. Not getting any cheap, though.
    Hola PHeller,

I guess you'll love this post:

https://gypsybytrade.wordpress.com/2...packing-frame/

Saludos,
    Federico

Witty McWitterson
    Curious on your thoughts of 29+ vs 27.5+. I've heard some people say that 29+ is unmatched, others think its just too much.
    Living in the upper midwest, our trails are generally of low elevation gain. We make up for that lack in twisty trails(generally). In my travels out west with the Krampus, it WAS just an awesome trail eating demon. A little harder to push on the ups, but on the downs, hang on. SUPER fun bike on the down. I chalk that up to both geometry and tires/traction. But at the home trails...it was only ok. I never really was able to feel the bike just liven up like it did out west. I still liked it, but it was missing the nimblness that my 29er had.

I initially scoffed at the b+ thing. I thought it was silly. Told Bob Poor as much too. I'm eating my words though. While I've only had chance to ride the Hayduke on dry trails for about 20 miles...it already feels like its going to eclipse the Krampus in the fun department. Especially on the local stuff. And I bet getting it out west, or up north is going to be a similar revelation, matching and besting the Krampus.
    Just a regular guy.

WNC Native
    Living in the upper midwest, our trails are generally of low elevation gain. We make up for that lack in twisty trails(generally). In my travels out west with the Krampus, it WAS just an awesome trail eating demon. A little harder to push on the ups, but on the downs, hang on. SUPER fun bike on the down. I chalk that up to both geometry and tires/traction. But at the home trails...it was only ok. I never really was able to feel the bike just liven up like it did out west. I still liked it, but it was missing the nimblness that my 29er had.

I initially scoffed at the b+ thing. I thought it was silly. Told Bob Poor as much too. I'm eating my words though. While I've only had chance to ride the Hayduke on dry trails for about 20 miles...it already feels like its going to eclipse the Krampus in the fun department. Especially on the local stuff. And I bet getting it out west, or up north is going to be a similar revelation, matching and besting the Krampus.

Interesting, thanks for sharing your thoughts.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Try one of these instead Martini

Hayduke 27.5+ hardtail-black_seed_bagel1.jpg
    A bike by any other name is still a bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    This doesn't have too much to do w/ the Hayduke, other than the bike looks quite CHICHIS!

A buddy is building one up and I definitely have one on the radar come spring... The lines are quite nice and I think its versatility will be a choice ride for many a folk.

But... on the + size tires... I don't know if its fair to say that that addition to the bike world may be slightly akin to skis going from straight to shaped... Just a thought.

I too reside in the Midwest (by summer) and have my fastest trail times on + size tires. I've got a Pugs (set w/ drop bars) w/ 26x4 and 29+ set up as well as an Instigator set up 26+ - They rally the goods with predictability and flow. The connection to the trail is unparalleled and the fun factor does not disappoint. When I've hopped back on a regular set up, I feel twitchy and like I'll slide out on everything, which is ridiculous, b/c that's all we used to ride, but the + size tire just amps up that ability and confidence.

29+ is a RAD size the wheels roll FAST. 26+ is cool too, but I think I jumped the gun and would rather hop aboard the 27.5+ train for the speed and purchase on climbs; The only beater is when I migrate out west w/ my high altitude buddies, they seem to have an easier time on the ups (for a few weeks anyway).

I'm holding out that Advocate will have some plates that can accommodate a 135 rear as I've got a CK SS hub that I am quite fond of and would like to xfer to that 27.5+ set up, Hayduke style.

Get your Advocate on!
    -Cheers

Jammin' Econo
    Anyone else get their hands on the Hayduke yet? Love to hear more about this bike...
    “I dream of a day when my children will live in a world without the shackles of cause and effect.” - S. Colbert

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smithhammer View Post
    Anyone else get their hands on the Hayduke yet? Love to hear more about this bike...
    My Ti frame should arrive next week. Sadly I'll be waiting a while to get the fork (i.e. a 120 boost pike) and wheels. Gives me time to sell the old Salsa frame
    Overland : Hayduke : Hightower : Delirium : Piolet

Jammin' Econo
    So they're already starting to ship the Ti frames? That's good and bad to hear. I just heard my wallet groan...
    “I dream of a day when my children will live in a world without the shackles of cause and effect.” - S. Colbert

mtbr member
    So they're already starting to ship the Ti frames? That's good and bad to hear. I just heard my wallet groan...
    Mine will be here on the 4th. Federico up above has been on his for weeks now. Perhaps we can talk him into providing a few more details about his riding experiences

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sdemars View Post
    My Ti frame should arrive next week. Sadly I'll be waiting a while to get the fork (i.e. a 120 boost pike) and wheels. Gives me time to sell the old Salsa frame
    Hola sdemars,

I'm running Rock Shox's Reba RL 120mm (29" boost) with WTB's Scraper & Trailblazer for the last 3 months and I love this setup

Saludos,
    Federico
    https://www.gofundme.com/theironlyportrait

PS: But I'll love to try it with the new Trail Boss 3.0, too!

mtbr member
    Mine will be here on the 4th. Federico up above has been on his for weeks now. Perhaps we can talk him into providing a few more details about his riding experiences
    Hola Sdemars,

I'd been riding a Ti prototype for the last 3 months and as I far as I know the only difference will be the rack eyelets... so let me know if you have any questions

Have a great weekend!

Saludos,
    Federico

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Hola,

Here are a few more photos of my Hayduke at Tierra del Fuego, Patagonia...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_MG_8608.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	127.6 KB 
ID:	1040753

Name:	_MG_8921.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	156.9 KB 
ID:	1040751

Name:	_MG_8925.jpg 
Views:	795 
Size:	209.7 KB 
ID:	1040752

Saludos,
    Federico
    Hi Federico,

I saw in your pictures that you are running a rear rack on your Hayduke frame. However, on the Hayduke produce page, I don't see any eyelets on the lower seatstay for racks/fenders (I can run a seatpost clamp w/ rack mounts for the rack arms). Is this because yours is a Ti prototype? Why did they remove these in the steel frame? I've emailed Tim @ Advocate about adding mounts to the production frame or even making a dropout option with rack mounts (ie. Alternator dropouts). I would like the option to run a rear rack as I want to be able to configure the bike as a daily commuter when not bikepacking/MTB.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    I have an Old Man Mountain rack for my Mukluk Ti that attaches to the top bolt of where my alternator dropouts pivot. The rack uses a hefty adapter and a longer replacement bolt. There are other racks that attach in the same manner, and I think it would work well with the dropout bolts on the Hayduke.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bosun120 View Post
    Hi Federico,

I saw in your pictures that you are running a rear rack on your Hayduke frame. However, on the Hayduke produce page, I don't see any eyelets on the lower seatstay for racks/fenders (I can run a seatpost clamp w/ rack mounts for the rack arms). Is this because yours is a Ti prototype? Why did they remove these in the steel frame? I've emailed Tim @ Advocate about adding mounts to the production frame or even making a dropout option with rack mounts (ie. Alternator dropouts). I would like the option to run a rear rack as I want to be able to configure the bike as a daily commuter when not bikepacking/MTB.

Thanks.
    Hola bosun120,

Actually I think is just the opposite... my Ti frame doesn't have eyelets for racks because is a prototype, but as far as I know the production models will have

I just attached my DIY rear rack to the alternator dropout's top bolt (with larger bolts) and to the seatpost collar!

Saludos,
    Federico

Hayduke 27.5+ hardtail-19991231_210910.jpg
    Hayduke 27.5+ hardtail-19991231_210925.jpg
    Hayduke 27.5+ hardtail-19991231_210944.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Welnic View Post
    I have an Old Man Mountain rack for my Mukluk Ti that attaches to the top bolt of where my alternator dropouts pivot. The rack uses a hefty adapter and a longer replacement bolt. There are other racks that attach in the same manner, and I think it would work well with the dropout bolts on the Hayduke.
    Hola Welnic,

I rode mine for 1000 miles at Southern Patagonia (carrying a portable photography studio) and so far is working perfectly

Saludos,
    Federico

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Hola bosun120,

Actually I think is just the opposite... my Ti frame doesn't have eyelets for racks because is a prototype, but as far as I know the production models will have

I just attached my DIY rear rack to the alternator dropout's top bolt (with larger bolts) and to the seatpost collar!

Saludos,
    Federico

Name:	19991231_210910.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	201.6 KB 
ID:	1047568

Name:	19991231_210925.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	201.4 KB 
ID:	1047569

Name:	19991231_210944.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	117.5 KB 
ID:	1047570
    Thanks Federico for the detailed pics! By "larger bolts" do you mean you just used longer length bolts (M5 thread), and the dropout attachment top bolts are M5 thread as well (like nearly every other rack mount out there). BTW, for your upper rack mounts you can get a seatpost clamp with rack mounts like this Problem Solvers one.

Looking at the 1st pic below of the Hayduke production frame dropouts, it seems like there are no dedicated points for rack mounts on the lower seatstay. I've emailed Tim about this but haven't gotten a reply yet.
    Just to be clear, I'm not looking to do any fully-loaded touring (80 lbs on a rack) with the Hayduke, I know that's not what this frame was built for and would be better suited for frame/seatbags. However it would nice to have the option to run a rear rack w/ 2 small (10-15L) panniers for quick errands or commuting.

Comparing this to a pic of the upcoming Lorax dropouts (if you look at brake side), there are rack/fender mounts located on the inside area of the seatstays. Dunno why they didn't include these on the Hayduke frame too.

BTW Federico, that's a really cool project you are working on with helping people create long-lasting memories. I'll see what I can do to chip in!

mtbr member
    Here is a picture of my rack. It has longer bolts that hold on the top of the alternator dropouts, and an aluminum spacer between the rack mount and the frame so the rack mount doesn't clamp onto the frame.

Hayduke 27.5+ hardtail-ommrack.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Welnic View Post
    Here is a picture of my rack. It has longer bolts that hold on the top of the alternator dropouts, and an aluminum spacer between the rack mount and the frame so the rack mount doesn't clamp onto the frame.

Name:	OMMRack.jpg 
Views:	246 
Size:	124.5 KB 
ID:	1047609
    Cool...thanks for the pics. Does anyone know if Alternator dropouts can fit on the Hayduke? Their design looks very similar to the Portage system and AFAIK Tim was a designer at Salsa before starting Advocate.

mtbr member
    Cool...thanks for the pics. Does anyone know if Alternator dropouts can fit on the Hayduke? Their design looks very similar to the Portage system and AFAIK Tim was a designer at Salsa before starting Advocate.
    I'm not sure but think it's unlikely. He'd have to deal with patent infringements for one, but the bigger issue is that the Hayduke is really a Boost rear end. The 148 plates appear "normal" while the 142 plates are thicker.

Note the different plate thickness in the pictures of the two dropouts: SOC15: Advocate Cycles Builds New Plus Size Bikes and Advocacy Based Business Model - Bikerumor

mtbr member
    Aug 2014

Almost finished!

Hayduke 27.5+ hardtail-12628368_10208012291681392_6256923786937163185_o%5B1%5D.jpg[attach=config]

Unfortunately the WTB Bridger/Scraper combo won't work with the MRP Stage fork. Will be swapping out with a Rockshox Yari later this week.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Hola bosun120,

Federico,
    How is the ride quality of the ti frame with all that gear. Do you find it very flexible?

I just spoke with the nice people over at Advocate cycles, and they confirmed that the Hayduke does NOT have any rack eyelets or brazeons.

Jammin' Econo
    Ok, I'm about to take the plunge on a stock-build Hayduke, but I'd love to hear some complete bike weights from those who already have them. I realize I'm buying a steel-framed + bike, so I'm not expecting an uber-lightweight rig by any means, I'm just not finding any posted weights for the complete bike anywhere, and I'd like to have an idea. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Ok, I'm about to take the plunge on a stock-build Hayduke, but I'd love to hear some complete bike weights from those who already have them. I realize I'm buying a steel-framed + bike, so I'm not expecting an uber-lightweight rig by any means, I'm just not finding any posted weights for the complete bike anywhere, and I'd like to have an idea. Thanks.
    Size large, with pedals, set up tubeless on WTB Scraper rim with WTB Bridger tire (great tire, but heavy), Yari 140mm fork, pump, spare tube, and levers in top tube bag - 34 pounds.

Initial ride was 11 miles and over 2500 feet of climbing on loose single track with some tight switch-backs. It rides, climbs and feels much lighter. Handled the switchbacks with no issues.

Overall very pleased with bike. The welds and paint are excellent.

Jammin' Econo
    Thanks for the info. "It climbs and feels much lighter" seems to be a consistent observation in the reviews I've read.

Wife just got a Watchman and loves it. I'm impressed with Advocate, for a variety of reasons.

mtbr member

Hayduke 27.5+ hardtail

Here's mine. Not much real trail time as it's winter here. But, the few rides I did get on it were fantastic.

I've made some build updates since this pic. Will post a new reply or thread once I can get some fresh pics.

Mine weighs in at 28ish pounds.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    ReXTless what size is it?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wilson1417 View Post
    ReXTless what size is it?
    It's a medium.

Jammin' Econo
    Looking forward to seeing your build updates, ReXTless.

I ordered my blue med. Hayduke today.

mtbr member
    Looking forward to seeing your build updates, ReXTless.

I ordered my blue med. Hayduke today.
    Great news. Congrats! Post up some pics and impressions when you have it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Hayduke

Here is a picture of my Hayduke. It is a large frame. It is the stock build with the exception of the seat post, bars and stem.

I have about 50 trail miles on it so far and I am really enjoying it. It is quite a departure from my OS Blackbuck, which was fully ridged and SS. I managed to tear the rear tire last weekend, so I may need something tougher for how/where I ride, but other than that everything has been great.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hayduke 27.5+ hardtail-wp_20160213_16_29_22_pro%5B1%5D.jpg  

Jammin' Econo
    Quote Originally Posted by ReXTless View Post
    Great news. Congrats! Post up some pics and impressions when you have it.
    Will do. I likely won't even be able to ride it for another month or two where I live, but my LBS said they weren't showing very many available at this time, and my fear is that they are going to sell fast, and with Advocate being a pretty small company, I might be SOL for the whole season. Or, at least that's how I pitched it to my Better Half.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Just built up a completely stock Large with Shimano XT pedals and it came in at 31 lbs. Went tubeless today, added a H2O cage and its right at 30 lbs now.

First two rides found me very happy with the purchase. It feels quicker in corners than both the Krampus and Remedy 9 29. Climbs quite well for its weight. Might have to upgrade the fork for something a little more stout though. The Reba is a great XC fork, but for harder, all mountain riding, its a little floppy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by btohlen View Post
    ... Might have to upgrade the fork for something a little more stout though. The Reba is a great XC fork, but for harder, all mountain riding, its a little floppy.
    Pike.
    All. Day. Long.

Wheels come in for mine tomorrow. I'll have pix by the end of the weekend

Jammin' Econo

mtbr member
    Second ride on the Hayduke Ti and it continues to impress.

X01 build. NN 2.8 rear 3.0 front, mostly syntace kit, Nox Composites Kitsuma rims on i9 hubs with CX rays. 25.25lbs

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Jammin' Econo
    My new Hayduke arrived today. Just had enough time to take it for a spin around the 'hood, but it will be getting dirty this weekend...

Jammin' Econo
    Spent about 4 hours on the Hayduke today, on a variety of singletrack from bone dry/flowy to wet/muddy to loose and rocky. A few observations:

•I'm a little over 5'10" and I was initially on the fence about whether to get a med. or a large. Went with the med. and I'm glad I did. The fit is perfect, and yet I still feel like I have plenty of room to move around the bike as needed.

• SRAM nailed it with the GX 1x11. The gear range is really usable, and the shifting is as crisp and efficient as I could hope for. Every shift today was spot-on.

• The WTB Scraper and Panaracer FBN looks like a pretty hefty setup. But it's actually a surprisingly light rim/tire combo, esp. after having converted to tubeless. It truly spins up with no more effort than I would apply to a "normal" tire.

• Others have already commented on how, while it isn't a super-light bike (mine is coming in at 29lbs), it feels surprisingly light and nimble when ridden. I would totally agree. In fact, I was continually amazed throughout today's ride at how nimble, light and maneuverable the Hayduke felt. I definitely attribute some of this to Reynolds 725. Not all steel is the same, and this is some of the best steel I've ridden.

• This bike can climb like a mountain goat. I stood up and mashed on a few climbs, to see if I could get the rear wheel to break loose and it never did. While the slack geo makes it a really adept descender, there is more going on here than meets the eye. Even so, old habits die hard, and it took me a bit to realize that there was no reason to weight my rear wheel when climbing. Keeping weight over the front wheel made all the difference, without ever feeling like it was uncomfortable to do so. Just sit, lean forward and pedal, and the Hayduke will keep climbing as long as you can.

• Through everything today, the bike was just so solidly planted. It gripped everything it rode over, went everywhere I told it to, and even on "chattery" loose rock, it just never wavered at all. On terrain that would have had the rear end of a "normal" hardtail kicking and deflecting, this rig laughed it off.

• I really do think that 27.5+ changes what most people think a hardtail is, and what it is capable of, in a big way. Friends who have given me weird looks in response to why I bought this bike are, in my opinion, thinking in terms of what a traditional hardtail used to be, and this is not that. Until you ride a bike like this, it's hard to understand.

Last edited by Smithhammer; 03-06-2016 at 12:40 PM.

mtbr member
    Good write-up. How did the FBN's set up tubeless? They're not T-less ready, right?

Jammin' Econo
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveF View Post
    Good write-up. How did the FBN's set up tubeless? They're not T-less ready, right?
    Easily. I used WTB tape to set the rims up. For not being a tubeless-ready tire, the FBN fits very tightly on the Scraper. I didn't even have to do my usual ritual with fatter tires of pumping it up first with the tube in, and then breaking the bead on one side and removing the tube - I just mounted the tire, pumped it up with a high-volume floor pump, squirted a few ounces of Stan's in, let the wheel sit horizontally on each side for a while and went for a ride.

mtbr member
    In case you missed Lael Wilcox's review, they just finished the Baja Divide... here's her detailed review: Advocate Cycles Hayduke Review - BIKEPACKING.com

Hayduke 27.5+ hardtail-advocate-cycles-hayduke-review-686-740x494.jpg
    -------------------------------------------------
    bikepacking.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    They need to add rack and down tube mounts for proper BP application.
    same geo as specialized fuse, slightly less slack, same low BB.

Jammin' Econo
    Quote Originally Posted by trailnimal View Post
    They need to add rack and down tube mounts for proper BP application.
    same geo as specialized fuse, slightly less slack, same low BB.
    Agreed on the downtube mounts - that would be handy.

But I can't imagine ever putting a rack on this bike. For the terrain that it's intended for, I think it would just be asking for problems, and soft bags work so much better on the rough stuff.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I suspect the Baja is not so much technical singletrack or narrow tight stuff, and the B+ is being used as a long distance sand and washboard tamer. In these trips loading it up more could be a benefit. Also, folks who need the small frame, and thus reduced frame bag capacity are forced to look at panniers again.

mtbr member
    Anyone build up a Hayduke with 29" wheels? Most of the reviews I've seen are for the 27.5+ wheels. I broke my 29er frame and my LBS suggested the Hayduke as a replacement. I can use my old parts (135 spacing on the rear), and upgrade to Boost and 27.5+ later. Very appealing!

I'm currently running a 3x9 drivetrain. Could I run 27.5+ with this drivetrain, or would I need a different (boost) crank? That would be nice, to swap out just the wheels to get 2 completely different types of rides.
    "Serves you right to suffer." -The Wife (after being 2 hours late)

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    slcdawg Do it!!! those are all little etails you can work out when the time comes!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Spent about 4 hours on the Hayduke today, on a variety of singletrack from bone dry/flowy to wet/muddy to loose and rocky. A few observations:

•I'm a little over 5'10" and I was initially on the fence about whether to get a med. or a large. Went with the med. and I'm glad I did. The fit is perfect, and yet I still feel like I have plenty of room to move around the bike as needed.

• SRAM nailed it with the GX 1x11. The gear range is really usable, and the shifting is as crisp and efficient as I could hope for. Every shift today was spot-on.

• The WTB Scraper and Panaracer FBN looks like a pretty hefty setup. But it's actually a surprisingly light rim/tire combo, esp. after having converted to tubeless. It truly spins up with no more effort than I would apply to a "normal" tire.

• Others have already commented on how, while it isn't a super-light bike (mine is coming in at 29lbs), it feels surprisingly light and nimble when ridden. I would totally agree. In fact, I was continually amazed throughout today's ride at how nimble, light and maneuverable the Hayduke felt. I definitely attribute some of this to Reynolds 725. Not all steel is the same, and this is some of the best steel I've ridden.

• This bike can climb like a mountain goat. I stood up and mashed on a few climbs, to see if I could get the rear wheel to break loose and it never did. While the slack geo makes it a really adept descender, there is more going on here than meets the eye. Even so, old habits die hard, and it took me a bit to realize that there was no reason to weight my rear wheel when climbing. Keeping weight over the front wheel made all the difference, without ever feeling like it was uncomfortable to do so. Just sit, lean forward and pedal, and the Hayduke will keep climbing as long as you can.

• Through everything today, the bike was just so solidly planted. It gripped everything it rode over, went everywhere I told it to, and even on "chattery" loose rock, it just never wavered at all. On terrain that would have had the rear end of a "normal" hardtail kicking and deflecting, this rig laughed it off.

• I really do think that 27.5+ changes what most people think a hardtail is, and what it is capable of, in a big way. Friends who have given me weird looks in response to why I bought this bike are, in my opinion, thinking in terms of what a traditional hardtail used to be, and this is not that. Until you ride a bike like this, it's hard to understand.

Where are you located? Terrain looks like mine in Boise.

mtbr member
    On terrain that would have had the rear end of a "normal" hardtail kicking and deflecting,
    This. One of the first things I noticed a few years ago after experiencing 15ish psi on a HT bike I have owned for a long time, and am very familiar with, was how linear the rear end tracked going over roots and rocks. Along with enhanced traction it makes riding it even more fun than ever.
    A bike by any other name is still a bike.

Jammin' Econo
    Quote Originally Posted by garcia View Post
    Where are you located? Terrain looks like mine in Boise.
    That ride was just outside of Pocatello, but I live up in Teton Valley. Sometimes I'm jealous of how much longer of a riding season you guys have down there in Boise.

Things I changed from the stock build immediately:

WTB Rocket Team saddle
    Race Face Turbine 3/4 bar
    Thomson X4 stem
    Tubeless conversion

Recent Hayduke changes include:

Ergon GA2 grips
    Race Face 'Next' carbon post
    Fyxation Mesa MP pedals

Can't see changing much else at this point. It's pretty much perfect.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slcdawg View Post
    Anyone build up a Hayduke with 29" wheels? Most of the reviews I've seen are for the 27.5+ wheels. I broke my 29er frame and my LBS suggested the Hayduke as a replacement. I can use my old parts (135 spacing on the rear), and upgrade to Boost and 27.5+ later. Very appealing!

I'm currently running a 3x9 drivetrain. Could I run 27.5+ with this drivetrain, or would I need a different (boost) crank? That would be nice, to swap out just the wheels to get 2 completely different types of rides.
    Sounds like a good plan to me, but there are a few things to think about. First, the Hayduke can accommodate a 142mm rear wheel with the right dropouts. You say your wheel is 135mm. If the hub is convertible to 142mm, than you are good to go there. As for the front, it depends on what fork you get. Assuming you want to run 27+ at some point, it makes sense to get a Boost fork right away. Depending on what front hub you have, you may be able to buy adapters to make a 100mm wheel work in a 110mm fork.

Also, I think you will have to ditch the 3X crank. You don't really need a Boost crank, but I think you will have to switch to a 2X or 1X setup. I don't know what crank you have, but some with removable spiders can be easily converted.

mtbr member
    Do you mean remove the big ring on my 3x crank and run it as a 2x9? I can do that on my crank.

Also, I think you will have to ditch the 3X crank. You don't really need a Boost crank, but I think you will have to switch to a 2X or 1X setup. I don't know what crank you have, but some with removable spiders can be easily converted.
    "Serves you right to suffer." -The Wife (after being 2 hours late)

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    What stem length is everybody running on the Hayduke(s)? I'm thinking of running a super short stem (<40mm) and wide bars (740mm+) when I eventually get around to my build (think Easton Havoc specs), would this be something appropriate for this bike? Or in your experience, would it be better suited for a more traditional XC/Trail cockpit combo (55mm+ stem)?

banned
    Nov 2015
    Does anyone know where Ti frames are made?

Cheers

Jammin' Econo
    What stem length is everybody running on the Hayduke(s)? I'm thinking of running a super short stem (<40mm) and wide bars (740mm+) when I eventually get around to my build (think Easton Havoc specs), would this be something appropriate for this bike? Or in your experience, would it be better suited for a more traditional XC/Trail cockpit combo (55mm+ stem)?
    Personally, I'm running a 70mm stem with a 725 bar on a medium frame, but I don't see any reason you couldn't go with a shorter stem and a wider bar, if that what fits you. Certainly wouldn't be an issue as far as the geo of the bike goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Parenzo View Post
    Does anyone know where Ti frames are made?
    Ti-wan, I believe. The ti frame that I was able to check out at my LBS looked really well done. Very nice clean welds.

mtbr member
    Personally, I'm running a 70mm stem with a 725 bar on a medium frame, but I don't see any reason you couldn't go with a shorter stem and a wider bar, if that what fits you. Certainly wouldn't be an issue as far as the geo of the bike goes.
    Same here. 70 is a good balance for me between the super shorty of a DH and enduro rig and a 80-100 for a true XC rig. allows me to get rad and rowdy but also climb uphill and ride all day without issue.

Ti-wan, I believe. The ti frame that I was able to check out at my LBS looked really well done. Very nice clean welds.
    This ^
    Welds are on par with Salsa Ti. It's no Moots or NAHBS contender but they did a good job for the cost. I have a Ti frame and I'm happy with it.

mtbr member
    I like running my bars a little wider on both Fat and Plus bikes since there is more tire to wrestle with. And once you put a wider bar on the stem should be shorter.

mtbr member
    740 bars on a 70mm stem here. Medium frame.

Space Ghost
    Looking for input/thoughts about the "feel" of the bike. It seems most of you are running B+ wheels and tires. I am thinking of getting rid of my Niner ROS9 as I just can't get it to feel right. My Ripley has a very playful BMX feel. My ROS feels tall and tippy. Was thinking of trying a different SS frame to get a more "in the bike" feel. Any thoughts?
    "No good deed goes unpunished"

Jammin' Econo
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach417 View Post
    Looking for input/thoughts about the "feel" of the bike. It seems most of you are running B+ wheels and tires. I am thinking of getting rid of my Niner ROS9 as I just can't get it to feel right. My Ripley has a very playful BMX feel. My ROS feels tall and tippy. Was thinking of trying a different SS frame to get a more "in the bike" feel. Any thoughts?
    I'd say that the Hayduke is more on the "playful, BMX-feel" end of the spectrum, without sacrificing cross-country abilities. Which is interesting, because numbers-wise, the ROS 9 isn't all that different on paper. But I wouldn't describe the Hayduke as feeling "tall and tippy" at all.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I'd say that the Hayduke is more on the "playful, BMX-feel" end of the spectrum, without sacrificing cross-country abilities. Which is interesting, because numbers-wise, the ROS 9 isn't all that different on paper. But I wouldn't describe the Hayduke as feeling "tall and tippy" at all.
    It is more fun and trippy than anything... Hayduke takes flight out at Oil Well Flats in Canyon City.

In all seriousness, my FS bike is an Ibis Mojo HD, and the Hayduke was dare I say more fun to ride than the Ibis. It didn't feel "tippy" at all. Eats up chunk almost as well as a dialed in FS.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hayduke 27.5+ hardtail-imag1656.jpg  

Hayduke 27.5+ hardtail-imag1632.jpg  

Jammin' Econo
    Haha...

This bike does have some seriously unicorn/mythical qualities to it, and I'm still trying to wrap my head around what "it" is exactly. But at the risk of over-thinking it, suffice to say it is just a ****ing blast.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quick question: been doing a lot of reading up on the Hayduke online, and haven't seen any mention of Rohloff compatibility. It can run a 142 rear--shouldn't a Rohloff work on the Hayduke or am I missing something?

mtbr member
    Hey guys! I'm planning to purchase a Hayduke in the near future. I've enjoyed following this thread and hearing about your bikes and experiences.

Would any of you happen to know the weight difference between the Ti frame and Cromo frame?

Thanks.

Jammin' Econo
    Great weekend on the Hayduke outside Salmon, ID.

Loose and rocky, buffed and flowy, torn to hell by cattle, patches of snow- it handled it all superbly.

hispanic mechanic

Loose and rocky, buffed and flowy, torn to hell by cattle, patches of snow- it handled it all superbly.

Looks like a nice ride!
    Another Boisean here. Maybe we'll have a meet up sometime...
    Listen, I know this is a Hayduke thread, but would you do me a favor and take a look at your wife's Watchman and see if you think a 29+ would fit? I sent Tim a Facebook message, and I'm sure he'll get back to me, but I haven't heard yet.
    Thanks,

Los
    Whiskey is my yoga.

dongerparty.com

Jammin' Econo
    Quote Originally Posted by sslos View Post
    ...would you do me a favor and take a look at your wife's Watchman and see if you think a 29+ would fit?
    Sure. I don't see why a 29+ wouldn't fit the frame/fork, but I would wonder what it would do to the BB height?

hispanic mechanic
    Sure. I don't see why a 29+ wouldn't fit the frame/fork, but I would wonder what it would do to the BB height?
    Yeah, that's part of my reticence.
    But it has a 65mm BB drop, which is actually 5mm more than the Krampus, and 2mm more than the ROS 9+!
    I dunno. They might very well be debuting a 29+ at Sea Otter. I might just be a little impatient!

Los
    Whiskey is my yoga.

dongerparty.com

mtbr member
    I guarantee the Watchman will work with 29+. I have three friends that have their set up that way for the summer; one each in WA, CO and NE.

End of Hayduke thread hijack.

hispanic mechanic
    I guarantee the Watchman will work with 29+. I have three friends that have their set up that way for the summer; one each in WA, CO and NE.

End of Hayduke thread hijack.
    Sorry about the hijacking. I am Cuban, after all...
    Nice looking Ti build, BTW!

Los
    Whiskey is my yoga.

dongerparty.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Hey Smithhammer - Are you riding your Hayduke with the Fat B Nimbles that came with the bike? If so, are you setup tubeless, and have you had issues with the tires? I am finding I am tearing holes through the tires and the sealant does not seal them up. Been riding the bike for a month now, and I have torn two holes through the tires and got a pinch flat on the 2nd ride with a tube in.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Klucks View Post
    Hey Smithhammer - Are you riding your Hayduke with the Fat B Nimbles that came with the bike? If so, are you setup tubeless, and have you had issues with the tires? I am finding I am tearing holes through the tires and the sealant does not seal them up. Been riding the bike for a month now, and I have torn two holes through the tires and got a pinch flat on the 2nd ride with a tube in.
    Not Smithhammer here, but I've been riding the Schwalbe Nobby Nic, and Rocket Ron snakeskin version for several months with no issues (I have NN front and rear, wife has NN front RoRo rear). Seats tubeless fine and shrugs off the sharp lava rocks we have in Central Oregon.

Jammin' Econo
    Klucks -

Yanking those tubes out was the first thing I did as soon as I got the bike home. And the tubeless setup with the Scrapers/FBNs was a piece of cake. Haven't had any problems with them so far at all, and I'm pretty happy with their performance at 16/17 psi (aside from mud).

When you say you are "tearing holes through the tires" are the holes in the sidewalls?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I just put on a set of Nobby Nic 3.0. Maybe not very many have elected to do so but running a SRAM GX 2x Boost crankset 24/36 and I have a slight rub between the bottom part of the chain and tire when I shift to the granny gear (24x42).

I probably wont be using it that gear very often but that has prompt me to order a Rocket Ron 2.8 to put in the rear. Well that and the fact that I have a 2 Trailstar NN and I'm not sure I want to run the Trailstar compound in the rear for very long.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Klucks -

Yanking those tubes out was the first thing I did as soon as I got the bike home. And the tubeless setup with the Scrapers/FBNs was a piece of cake. Haven't had any problems with them so far at all, and I'm pretty happy with their performance at 16/17 psi (aside from mud).

When you say you are "tearing holes through the tires" are the holes in the sidewalls?
    Yes - Two holes in the sidewalls in <10 rides thus far. They weren't huge, but big enough that all the sealant came out of the tire without plugging them. I've also had some issues with the base of the knobs puncturing that the sealant has sealed.

Jammin' Econo
    Quote Originally Posted by Klucks View Post
    Yes - Two holes in the sidewalls in <10 rides thus far. They weren't huge, but big enough that all the sealant came out of the tire without plugging them. I've also had some issues with the base of the knobs puncturing that the sealant has sealed.
    FBNs are one of the lightest B+ tires out there, and part of that is no doubt achieved by thinner sidewalls.

I did a bunch of riding two weekends ago in a place with lots of sharp rocks, cactus, etc. and my FBNs rolled through it all just fine. But if you're finding persistent problems with them, you should probably check out a beefier tire.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast