Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
Results 301 to 330 of 330
  1. #301
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    69
    I have to start reading this thread from the beginning to look for an answer but maybe someone can jump in? Have you experimented on Hyduke with skinnier tires than 2.8? If you did, what is the tire model please.
    Zoran
    Advocate Cycles Hayduke 27.5+

    www.leavenotraceexpeditions.com

  2. #302
    hispanic mechanic
    Reputation: sslos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,460
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoran View Post
    I have to start reading this thread from the beginning to look for an answer but maybe someone can jump in? Have you experimented on Hyduke with skinnier tires than 2.8? If you did, what is the tire model please.
    Well, just put the 29" wheels back on yesterday to try them again (2.3 Maxxis High Roller II front, 2.3 Specialized Ground Control rear.) I normally use 2.8 Rangers.
    While I thought I'd feel faster on the climb, I don't think I did. And I missed the traction on the descent.
    I know you're probably asking about smaller 27.5" tires, so it's not quite analogous, but if anything I'm wanting 3.0, not narrower after yesterday's ride.

    Los
    Whiskey is my yoga.

    dongerparty.com

  3. #303
    Rippin da fAt
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    3,992
    Zoran, that would be akin to riding in wingtips...
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

  4. #304
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    69
    Thank you.
    Yes I was asking about Scraper i45 rims and what will be the skinnier tire you can put on but not look like jerk. :-)

    I would like to do some commute on it until I have enough money for second bike. I depleted all my funds. Looks like the most reasonable will be 27.5 plus 2.8. Everything else will be too bad?
    Zoran
    Advocate Cycles Hayduke 27.5+

    www.leavenotraceexpeditions.com

  5. #305
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    69
    Quote Originally Posted by BansheeRune View Post
    Zoran, that would be akin to riding in wingtips...
    I know ...
    :-(
    It is bad but I have only one bike and I have to bridge small time gap. i sold my ski gear and few jackets to get Hayduke and now I am in trouble. But kind of happy i have my new bikepacking rig.
    Zoran
    Advocate Cycles Hayduke 27.5+

    www.leavenotraceexpeditions.com

  6. #306
    Rippin da fAt
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    3,992
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoran View Post
    I know ...
    :-(
    It is bad but I have only one bike and I have to bridge small time gap. i sold my ski gear and few jackets to get Hayduke and now I am in trouble. But kind of happy i have my new bikepacking rig.
    I just had to pull your chain.

    On a serious note, a friend of mine has a first year Krampi with rabbi holes that he's run Ardent 2.4's on without issue. I think, of Maxxis tires the Ardent was a wee bit fat for a 2.4. They didn't look too outta place on that bike.
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

  7. #307
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Boo Bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    303
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoran View Post
    Thank you.
    Yes I was asking about Scraper i45 rims and what will be the skinnier tire you can put on but not look like jerk. :-)

    I would like to do some commute on it until I have enough money for second bike. I depleted all my funds. Looks like the most reasonable will be 27.5 plus 2.8. Everything else will be too bad?
    For commuting I'd take a look at the Schwalbe Super Moto-X RaceGuard. It's a 27.5x2.8 tire with a tread that is more appropriate for tarmac. It's "e-bike ready", so I don't know what implications that has for weight, but looks like it'd be a better option than running knobbies on tar.

    https://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_t...s/super-moto-x
    Crashing mountain bikes since 1990.

  8. #308
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    69
    Thank you both again.

    I wonder what do you think if it's Ok to put Schwalbe Super Moto-X RaceGuard 2.4 on i45mm rims instead? Price is so good but I need your opinion.

    Or should I call Schwalbe to be safe? Hopefully I will get on the phone someone who knows stuff. That is why this forum is so good. people experiment a lot and think differently than official reps or techs.



    Schwalbe Super Moto-X MTB Tyre - GreenGuard | Chain Reaction Cycles
    Zoran
    Advocate Cycles Hayduke 27.5+

    www.leavenotraceexpeditions.com

  9. #309
    Rippin da fAt
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    3,992
    Here's another option from Schwalbe. G-One 2.8

    https://www.schwalbetires.com/node/5149


    Lighter weight 790g vs. 910. Both in Raceguard. LiteSkin version is 655g
    Saves fuel!
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

  10. #310
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Boo Bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    303
    The Moto GreenGuard is 2.4, the RaceGuard is 2.8.

    I'd think you could run the 2.4 on a 45mm rim, but the tire profile will be different- lower/wider.

    Personally, I'd rather run a 2.8 than a 2.4 just because I likes the fat. Life is too short for skinny tires.
    Crashing mountain bikes since 1990.

  11. #311
    Rippin da fAt
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    3,992
    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Bear View Post
    The Moto GreenGuard is 2.4, the RaceGuard is 2.8.

    I'd think you could run the 2.4 on a 45mm rim, but the tire profile will be different- lower/wider.

    Personally, I'd rather run a 2.8 than a 2.4 just because I likes the fat. Life is too short for skinny tires.
    Werd!!

    Bought a +bike to enjoy da +...
    gonna order a pair of the G-Ones for Sarge cause they look like an awesome street session tore for +bikes.
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

  12. #312
    Jammin' Econo
    Reputation: Smithhammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    1,807
    I couldn't look my Hayduke in the face if I put minus tires on it.
    I dream of a day when my children will live in a world without the shackles of cause and effect.” - S. Colbert

  13. #313
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    69
    Quote Originally Posted by Smithhammer View Post
    I couldn't look my Hayduke in the face if I put minus tires on it.
    Please don't say that! :-) Hey! You are one of our Gurus here! You encourage all to experiment and break all the rules and stigmas.

    No worries ... I will will go with 2.8 gravel tires. I need them for some of my gravel multiday rides this season anyway.
    Zoran
    Advocate Cycles Hayduke 27.5+

    www.leavenotraceexpeditions.com

  14. #314
    Jammin' Econo
    Reputation: Smithhammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    1,807
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoran View Post
    Please don't say that! :-) Hey! You are one of our Gurus here! You encourage all to experiment and break all the rules and stigmas.
    Guilty as charged! But there are some personal lines with my Hayduke that can't be crossed. It would be the equivalent of kicking a puppy.

    But I encourage others to do whatever the hell they want! Rules are for fools!
    I dream of a day when my children will live in a world without the shackles of cause and effect.” - S. Colbert

  15. #315
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    69
    I have so many questions about Hayduke. Don't know where to start! But I have to wait short time.

    I need your opinion badly. Bike is right now on the way to me and I have to work on it to make it perfect!

    Then trips will come soon! Can't wait ...
    Zoran
    Advocate Cycles Hayduke 27.5+

    www.leavenotraceexpeditions.com

  16. #316
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    70
    Dang, I've got my Hayduke frame just sitting in the basement ready to start getting built up. All this talk gets me excited to get going on it, but I need to make the time............and pick up some parts and pieces!!😃

  17. #317
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    5
    Hi folks!

    So I'm really excited to build up a Hayduke frame from Advocate in a few weeks. I'm honored to be an ambassador for them this season and get that bike out for a ton of trail riding and long distance bikepacking (I'm in a tent down in Patagonia right now having just ridden down here from Alaska on all the trails I could find over the last 3 years and 30,000 miles, but did it all on a fully rigid Surly Ogre. VERY excited to have a more aggressive trail bike). That said, I'm trying to decide between their build kits and would love some feedback about some options I'm being given:

    1. Fork: I can either go Fox Performance or Rockshox Yari. Any thoughts? Looks like Yari is travel adjustable 120mm-160mm and is upgradable. But perhaps the Fox is a better shock out the gate?

    2. LX vs. XT. I've always chosen XT but am paying for the build kit myself so I don't want to spend money I don't need to spend.

    3. Dropper post: seems like Fox's Transfer Dropper has good reviews. Any reasons NOT to go for that?

    Finally: What upgrades have people made that have significantly improved versatility and handling of the bike as a whole? I'm seeing some posts about wider bars with shorter stems. Anything else? I'm 6'1" and about 185lbs.

    Thanks in advance for any thoughts and feedback!

    Scott Pauker
    Welcome! - Spoke and Words

  18. #318
    Rippin da fAt
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    3,992
    MettaBeats, can't wait to start seeing pix! Sounds like a sweet ride comin you way. Gratz Dood!!
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

  19. #319
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    58
    MettaBeats,

    First, what a nice way to treat yourself after completing such an amazing feat of conquering the Pan-American, and off-road! Big congratz! 

    As far as building your new Hayduke, here are some suggestions:

    1. Suspension fork - I won't get into brands, but definitely do some reading in the Shocks & Suspenion MTBR forum as this will the single most expensive component you will buy. I am very pleased with the 120mm Reba that came stock with mine. One thing is clear for me on the Hayduke as far as fork travel goes:

    - 120-130mm travel is more than adequate for bikepacking, X-country/trail riding.
    - Go with 140mm if you enjoy and go often on more advanced and gnarly stuff.
    - Over 140mm you're already exceeding the geometry design of this bike and will likely experience diminishing returns.

    2. Drivetrain - Shimano XT or Sram GX (take your pick given your budget), but either way go 1x11. Make sure crankset is Boost compatible.

    3. Dropper post - I have the new Fox Transfer and it's smooth, with infinite adjustment and most importantly, there's no play, something that affects many dropper posts available in the market even out of the box. Get the version with internal routing (Hayduke frame ready for it) and since you must buy the handlebar remote separately, get the one from Wolf Tooth. I bought both from Jenson USA. By the way, getting the right dropper seatpost length is really tricky on paper if you've never ridden the bike. I would highly suggest getting a cheap aluminum seatpost so you can play with the right length before ordering this expensive dropper post.

    What size frame are you getting and what rim/hubs do you have in mind?

  20. #320
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Pringle View Post
    MettaBeats,

    First, what a nice way to treat yourself after completing such an amazing feat of conquering the Pan-American, and off-road! Big congratz! 

    As far as building your new Hayduke, here are some suggestions:

    1. Suspension fork - I won't get into brands, but definitely do some reading in the Shocks & Suspenion MTBR forum as this will the single most expensive component you will buy. I am very pleased with the 120mm Reba that came stock with mine. One thing is clear for me on the Hayduke as far as fork travel goes:

    - 120-130mm travel is more than adequate for bikepacking, X-country/trail riding.
    - Go with 140mm if you enjoy and go often on more advanced and gnarly stuff.
    - Over 140mm you're already exceeding the geometry design of this bike and will likely experience diminishing returns.

    2. Drivetrain - Shimano XT or Sram GX (take your pick given your budget), but either way go 1x11. Make sure crankset is Boost compatible.

    3. Dropper post - I have the new Fox Transfer and it's smooth, with infinite adjustment and most importantly, there's no play, something that affects many dropper posts available in the market even out of the box. Get the version with internal routing (Hayduke frame ready for it) and since you must buy the handlebar remote separately, get the one from Wolf Tooth. I bought both from Jenson USA. By the way, getting the right dropper seatpost length is really tricky on paper if you've never ridden the bike. I would highly suggest getting a cheap aluminum seatpost so you can play with the right length before ordering this expensive dropper post.

    What size frame are you getting and what rim/hubs do you have in mind?
    Hey Chris,

    Thanks for your reply. I was assuming 120-140 was the perfect travel range, so we're on the same page there. Any bigger and I'd be going FS on a different bike.

    Just to be clear, the specific parts I wrote about were because those are my options from the Advocate people, choosing between two build kits. So really trying to understand if given new parts:

    1. is XT worth the cost over LX
    2. How do RS Yari and Fox Performance compare?

    Thanks so much for your thoughts on the dropper post. Glad to know it's a winner. I feel that getting the saddle out of the way makes descending technical stuff on a hardtail incredibly more versatile. Glad to know the Fox is a good one.

  21. #321
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    5
    The wheels that come on it are Stans S1 wheelset. I hope it's solid, as it's new.

  22. #322
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    7
    I've got to see some pics of the Hayduke built up with those 2.8 MotoX or G-One tires... I've always been a sucker for bouncy "urban assault" builds, and even the classic Hookworms can't compete with a 2.8 semi-slick like that.

  23. #323
    mtbr member
    Reputation: schuster.ryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    54
    It seems like most Hayduke's are sold out on various sites. Probably means they are releasing an updated build/colors. Any info on this?
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC 27+
    Soma Double Cross
    (hoping to get a 29/27+ hardtail)

  24. #324
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Boo Bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    303
    MettaBeats - are you opposed to running SRAM for the drivetrain? If not, I'd look at the GX as well. I have been really impressed by it on my Hayduke. One of the smoothest shifting and most usable gear ranges I've had the pleasure of thumbing through.
    Crashing mountain bikes since 1990.

  25. #325
    hispanic mechanic
    Reputation: sslos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,460
    In my opinion, the SLX and XT lines are closer in price than in fit and finish. Performance wise, you couldn't go wrong with either. I went with XT because of biases from 25 years of working as a mechanic.
    As far as suspension, I have a FOX Performance with the FIT damper, and am very pleased. The Yari I demoed was uninspiring- clunky travel, vague adjustments, and a fair amount heavier than the Fox without major improvements to stiffness.

    Los
    Whiskey is my yoga.

    dongerparty.com

  26. #326
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bikeny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    3,257
    Quote Originally Posted by schuster.ryan View Post
    It seems like most Hayduke's are sold out on various sites. Probably means they are releasing an updated build/colors. Any info on this?
    I'm not sure where you are looking, but just go to the Advocate Cycles website and order one, seem to have plenty in stock.

  27. #327
    mtbr member
    Reputation: schuster.ryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    54
    They only have the XL as a complete bike. Frames seem to be available.

    according to this https://www.kruegeroutdoor.com/colle...-cycles?page=1
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC 27+
    Soma Double Cross
    (hoping to get a 29/27+ hardtail)

  28. #328
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    5
    I'm going XT because it's more serviceable in Latin America. SRAM is harder to find.

  29. #329
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    5
    Thanks man. I decided on XT, not a huge price difference at dealer cost. And also the Fox shock. The Yari would take some upgrading to be more performance oriented. Fox seems solid right outa the box. BTW Whisky is my Yoga is one of the first stickers I put on my computer when I started my ride South almost 3 years ago. Chris Reichel gave it to me in Phoenix!

  30. #330
    hispanic mechanic
    Reputation: sslos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,460
    Quote Originally Posted by MettaBeats View Post
    Thanks man. I decided on XT, not a huge price difference at dealer cost. And also the Fox shock. The Yari would take some upgrading to be more performance oriented. Fox seems solid right outa the box. BTW Whisky is my Yoga is one of the first stickers I put on my computer when I started my ride South almost 3 years ago. Chris Reichel gave it to me in Phoenix!
    Glad you approve of my co-opting that saying!
    I think you're going to like that set up. Been riding mine as much as the weather allows right now.
    It's not the most "rowdy" bike out there, but plenty stable without being so slack that it would handle weird fully loaded.

    Los
    Whiskey is my yoga.

    dongerparty.com

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Similar Threads

  1. Used FS or New Hardtail?!
    By DirtWagon in forum Beginner's Corner
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-04-2015, 12:40 PM
  2. How much can this Hardtail take......
    By jdiulus in forum Beginner's Corner
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-26-2014, 07:19 PM
  3. Hardtail or not to hardtail - thoughts and advice please
    By Velosprocket in forum Specialized
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 02-15-2014, 06:57 PM
  4. HardTail under 700$
    By brolia in forum Where are the Best Deals?
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 11-29-2012, 06:33 AM
  5. Hardtail to FS back to hardtail?
    By VTSession in forum All Mountain
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 08-15-2012, 08:16 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •