mtbr member

First plus bike coming soon...Norco Torrent 7.1 build

Grabbed a used on off PB. Can't wait to build it up. Build will look something like this:

Pike Pike RCT3 at 150mm travel
    Race Face Turbine, 30T ring
    SRAM X1 X-Horizon, 11 Speed
    SRAM X1 11 Speed X-Actuation Trigger
    SRAM XG1150, 11 Speed, 10-42T
    Guide RS brakes
    KS LEV Integra Dropper, w/ SouthPaw Remote
    WTB Asym i35 rims laced to Hope Pro 4 hubs
    Tire WTB Ranger 3.0/2.8

Decided on WTB Rangers for my tires. I got the tough version...3.0 for the front, 2.8 for the rear. I looked and looked and instead of things becoming clear on what tires I should get...things just got more confusing. So...I was able to get the Rangers cheap enough ($45 each) I figured they'd get me rolling until I can figure out if there's something better out there for me. So...hoping everything will be here next week. Not sure how long it will take for the wheels to be built...but with some luck I might get my first ride in next weekend or the next week at the latest.

I think this thing will be quite fun even if a little overkill for what I ride. Pics to come once I get the frame and start putting things together.
    Last edited by Nubster; 06-09-2018 at 04:14 AM.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

mtbr member
    Ha! I had that frame on my PB watchlist until it was quickly gone. Enjoy the build!

mtbr member
    Yeah...I happened to be looking at the ads when it first hit and was able tomake the grab.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

mtbr member
    Swapping the R3 parts onto this frame?

With all of the R3 issues, I always wonder how common this will become with the otherwise solid kit of parts.

Have to admit I occasionally keep an eye out for deals on carbon 5010 frames for a swap myself!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DB Release 3
    Kona Rove ST + Burley D'Lite

mtbr member
    Yeah...honestly...my R3 is pretty solid at this point. If I was going to keep it...I'd definitely do a new wheel set. And the pivot issue I guess will only pop up once in a while when doing major maintenance so once, maybe twice a year. And honestly...I'll still have the frame and shock. Might try to sell it. Might hang onto it and slowly piece the bike back together over time. Other than those initial potential headaches...once you either luck out and don't get them or get whatever ones you have ironed out...the bike is pretty great.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

mtbr member
    First bits arrived...I don't have to buy much...just having the new wheels built. Hubs and spokes here today. Rims and tubeless parts should be here Friday. Hope to get everything to the builder maybe Saturday or Monday so I can go plus asap. Tires ordered and shipped as well. Everything else, assuming it all swaps over without issues...I have on hand. I will eventually replace the stem and handle bars most likely. Any suggestions for a nice green anodized stem that isn't stupid expensive? Found one but it was like $100. Then I'll probably upgrade the bar to something carbon as well. Never ran carbon bars before but I'd like to give them a try.

First plus bike coming soon...Norco Torrent 7.1 build-35077527_10156385484464291_3424713669500469248_o.jpg
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

mtbr member
    Frame got here today. Looks great...can't wait to get it built. I might start swapping over some parts this afternoon.

First plus bike coming soon...Norco Torrent 7.1 build-35329430_10156389695689291_8343770847827197952_o.jpg
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Enjoy! Great bike, I love mine.

I've got the stock (MY 17) 2.8 DHF/DHRs FWIW. Ran a 2.6 Ikon on the back, really was digging the speed and wet/mud traction, but holed it on a sloppy jump.

Question- is the 7.1 frame different than the 7.2...? I think it's just the build that differentiates.

Curious to what you think of the crabon bars if you go that route. With the forward-weighted HT "CHARGE!" posture, I find I bear a lot more weight/NVH on my arms vs riding my FS. I've definitely considered making the change for some more comfort.
    2016 SC 5010
    2017 Norco Torrent
    2014 Giant Trance (the boy's)
    2014 Kona Process 134a (the other boy's)

mtbr member
    That's why I'm thinking carbon. I figure running a 3.0 tire up front will soak up just about everything that the Pike doesn't. But that little extra from the carbon can only be a good thing.

Not sure...I think it's just color and build difference. Interesting that only the high-end build frames are available as the frame only option. Not that I care...I'm diggin' the black and green. I just wish I could find a nice green stem to go with the color scheme. It matches my Kona Big Unit which is kinda cool too..

Threw some parts on the frame...starting to look like a bike. Need to pull the crank and bottom bracket off the Release and swap those over. And I need to make a trip to the LBS for some cable and housing for the dropper post...the one that came with the Release is too short I think.

For the moment I just have the wheels and stem/handle bars from the Release on there...both will be changed out in the near future.

First plus bike coming soon...Norco Torrent 7.1 build-35225875_10156389873109291_5683136941231439872_o.jpg
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

mtbr member
    Nothing more exciting than realizing that the last thing you need to do...removing the bottom bracket from one bike and installing on the other...but finding out you don't have the right tool for the job

I have a BBT-19 bottom bracket tool but I have a Race Face 30mm spindle crank...so the bottom bracket is a BSA30 which requires the BBT-79 tool.

And doubtful the LBS has it and even if they do...they are an hour away, I have to work in a few hours, and I have two kids at home since school is out so heading to town isn't an option. Amazon prime probably won't get it here until Monday either

****EDIT****
    Tool ordered. Amazon says guaranteed delivery on Saturday. Can't ride until Sunday anyways. Fingers crossed.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

DFL
    Why are you getting rid of the Release? I'm thinking about perhaps adding a trail + bike, but wouldn't get rid of my AM FS.
    I wouldn't **** you, you're my favorite turd.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    Yeah...honestly...my R3 is pretty solid at this point. If I was going to keep it...I'd definitely do a new wheel set. And the pivot issue I guess will only pop up once in a while when doing major maintenance so once, maybe twice a year. And honestly...I'll still have the frame and shock. Might try to sell it. Might hang onto it and slowly piece the bike back together over time. Other than those initial potential headaches...once you either luck out and don't get them or get whatever ones you have ironed out...the bike is pretty great.
    I love my release 1 it is a 2016 and I've had it apart numerous times and have no trouble aligning the pins for the linkage like some do? I think a small percantage of these complaints are people just lacking overall mechanical (not saying that's you) I have no stock parts on my release anymore (including the paint) except the crankset so I cant comment on over all build quality. Good luck with the new build! Hard tail plus bike would be great for most of my local trails!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by askibum02 View Post
    Why are you getting rid of the Release? I'm thinking about perhaps adding a trail + bike, but wouldn't get rid of my AM FS.
    Because I really don't ride anything that requires full suspension and honestly doesn't improve my riding or enjoyment. I have a hard tail single speed and the trails I'm on...that bike does everything I need without complaint.

I'll probably hang onto the frame though...build it back up over time with deals that I can scrounge up. Maybe knock the component level down a notch to save some money.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

mtbr member
    Rims, tape, valves, and tires arrived today. Now to get the parts to my wheel builder....

And I thought for sure I ordered a 3.0 and a 2.8. I got two 2.8's though...I sent WTB an email to see if there was a mistake on my part ordering or theirs...but regardless...I'm sure the 2.8 up front will be just fine.

First plus bike coming soon...Norco Torrent 7.1 build-35360819_10156394891434291_6396688939339481088_o.jpg

First plus bike coming soon...Norco Torrent 7.1 build-35387778_10156394899469291_6670716270960181248_o.jpg
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

mtbr member
    Bike is built and I have about 30 miles on it so far. I'm really diggin' it even though so far it's only been gravel road. I'm hoping if the weather cooperates I'll get some trail time this weekend.

Right now I'm still on the stock wheels and tires from my Release 3 which are 27.5 2.3. New wheels are in the shop being built...hoping they are done by tomorrow so I can set them up and try some proper plus tire riding.

I'm also on the bars/stem from the Release 3. Bars are 780mm wide with 12mm raise, unknown sweep but they are pretty straight...I'm guessing 5 degrees. It puts my wrists in a pretty uncomfortable position so I'm going to look and see if I can find a suitable replacement asap. I'm thinking 10+ degrees of sweep should get me in a better position. Probably will shorten them up too. I'll order a wide bar and use clamp on grips so I can play with widths before cutting the bars.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

mtbr member
    Ever consider the Salsa Rustler bars?

https://www.jensonusa.com/Salsa-Rustler-2-Handlebar

750mm wide, 11 degree backsweep. Might be a sweet spot based on what you’re looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DB Release 3
    Kona Rove ST + Burley D'Lite

mtbr member
    First plus bike coming soon...Norco Torrent 7.1 build-36684024_10156447641824291_1263009011121258496_o.jpg

Really enjoying this bike. New fork is supposed to be here tomorrow. Just another Pike but in 29" instead of the 27.5" I have now. So hoping to get the new wheels and plus tires on tomorrow...probably won't get to ride until maybe Saturday though.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

mtbr member
    Now in plus size....fork arrived yesterday, installed today. Got the new wheels and 2.8 tires on. Swapped out the Guides for some Hope EVO brakes I had...trying to keep with the silver bits and I'd say that Hope brakes > Guide brakes.

Anyways...super excited to get out on the trail to give it a thrashing and see how those plus tires perform....

First plus bike coming soon...Norco Torrent 7.1 build-new-tires-wheels.jpg
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

DFL
    Looks awesome!
    I wouldn't **** you, you're my favorite turd.