mtbr member

Custom Titanium 29+ Funk Cycles

Thought I'd share some pics of a custom bike I recently had built by Funk Cycles. They were an excellent company to work with. Communication was quick, and they helped source most of the parts for the build. The bike has a custom geometry that is somewhat based on a niner ros 9. Can't recommend them enough if you're in the market for a custom bike.

The cross on the top tube is a custom graphic I requested. Your graphic options are pretty much limitless.

The bike came in under 20 pounds including pedals and bottle cages.

Frame = Funk Cycles - Custom Geo, hand brushed finish, media blasted graphics

Rims = Kappius XCW (40mm internal)

Hubs = Project 321 - Magnetic, quiet option, ceramic upgrade (157mm rear, 110 front)

Spokes = cx-ray

Fork = Niner Boost

Cranks = Next SL g4

BB = King Ceramic (83mm)

Cog = Niner ti

Chain = xtr

Post = syntace hiflex

Stem = Enve

Bars = Enve

Grips = ESI Chunky

Brakes = Magura MT8 (180f, 160r)

Headset = King

Tires = WTB Ranger 29x3

Bottle Cages = King ti

Chain ring = Absolute oval 32t

Slider bolt Upgrade = Paragon ti

Pedals = Xpedo Mforce 8 ti

Saddle = Specialized S Works Power

Custom Titanium 29+ Funk Cycles-welded-headtube-resize.jpg

Custom Titanium 29+ Funk Cycles-kyle-1.jpg

Custom Titanium 29+ Funk Cycles-kyle-2.jpg

Custom graphic I requested.

Custom Titanium 29+ Funk Cycles-finished-tt.jpg

mtbr member
    Good looking bike.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    That thing is sweet! I like that you went 157mm rear and 83mm BB, I did the same on my Moonmen plus frame. Under 20lbs is pretty impressive, although you've certainly got some high end parts on there!

Now go get it dirty!

mtbr member
    I can smell the money. Very jealous!

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk
    2014 Singular Gryphon
    2013 C-Dale F29 Alloy 2, CAAD10 105
    2005 Jamis Dakar XC Expert
    2014 Framed Minn. 3.0 Bluto

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeny View Post
    That thing is sweet! I like that you went 157mm rear and 83mm BB, I did the same on my Moonmen plus frame. Under 20lbs is pretty impressive, although you've certainly got some high end parts on there!

Now go get it dirty!
    Thanks!

I trusted the builder and went with their suggestion for 157mm rear and 83mm bb. Seemed to be the best option for 29+

I plan to put lots of miles on the bike, so I didn't take any shortcuts on the parts. Coming from a very light carbon bike, I wanted to keep the weight down on this as low as possible without sacrificing durability.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by x3speed View Post
    I can smell the money. Very jealous!

I typically buy a couple bikes a year. To justify this bike, I decided I would go at least 2 years before buying another, so in the long run I'm actually saving money with this bike

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Wow incredible build don't normally comment just to say how great something looks but this seems top notch. How is overall frame stiffness versus the ti "spring" and vibration dampening? Never owned a Ti bike but for 29 Plus seems like it would be a sweet spot (I just need to find a way to make myself need a replace for my Alu Stache!)
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by coke View Post
    I typically buy a couple bikes a year. To justify this bike, I decided I would go at least 2 years before buying another, so in the long run I'm actually saving money with this bike
    I love that logic, my wife however...

2014 Singular Gryphon

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HEMIjer View Post
    Wow incredible build don't normally comment just to say how great something looks but this seems top notch. How is overall frame stiffness versus the ti "spring" and vibration dampening? Never owned a Ti bike but for 29 Plus seems like it would be a sweet spot (I just need to find a way to make myself need a replace for my Alu Stache!)
    Thanks! I spent a lot of time researching builders. Funk doesn't get as much attention as some, but their quality seems to be among the best. Craig Sata built the bike.

I plan to get a decent ride in this weekend and will try to give a ride report. It's the first + bike I've owned, but I have had rigid steel, aluminum, and carbon 29ers, and a rigid aluminum fatbike.

Comfort was one of the goals of this bike. The plate they use is designed to have some vertical compliance.

Custom Titanium 29+ Funk Cycles-finished-chain.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by x3speed View Post
    I love that logic, my wife however...

My problem is that my wife also rides/races, and is asking for her own ti bike now

mtbr member
    That's my dream

2014 Singular Gryphon

This place needs an enema
    Brilliant bike. I love seeing stuff purpose-built for places so different from where I live/ride. The low BB really jumps out, as does the lack of suspension and dropper. Gives perspective on why we like/choose what we do for where we live and ride.

mtbr member
    I agree with Mike. It is neat to see each niche and what bikes are tailored to it.

2014 Singular Gryphon

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    Brilliant bike. I love seeing stuff purpose-built for places so different from where I live/ride. The low BB really jumps out, as does the lack of suspension and dropper. Gives perspective on why we like/choose what we do for where we live and ride.
    Thanks!

The BB is 12.75", which I didn't think was too low. I've had pedal strike issues on other bikes, but from my experience this height should work on my trails.

We do have trails that warrant suspension and droppers (primarily ride in Arkansas), but I seem to always choose my rigid singlespeeds over my FS bike when going for a ride or racing. Slower overall, but I love the simplicity, and not having to think about a dropper, gears, or suspension really adds to the enjoyment of the ride

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by coke View Post
    We do have trails that warrant suspension and droppers (primarily ride in Arkansas), but I seem to always choose my rigid singlespeeds over my FS bike when going for a ride or racing. Slower overall, but I love the simplicity, and not having to think about a dropper, gears, or suspension really adds to the enjoyment of the ride
    Well said. Most people around me will only ride FS on my local trails, with a handful of Plus hardtails lately. As long as my body can still handle it, I'm sticking with rigid and no dropper post. I have moved to 1x11 in the past few years though, but my bikes are all SS capable and get converted every once in a while for a change. It's nice to just put a few pumps in the tires and go and not worry about all that other stuff. Yeah, I'm a bit slower through the rock gardens and such, but I'm faster everywhere else, or at least I think I am

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeny View Post
    It's nice to just put a few pumps in the tires and go and not worry about all that other stuff.
    X2 on that. Many days that is the essence of being a cyclist and the dirt is where I choose to have my fun I have to have that bike the is low maintenance always ready ... I would add small Frame bag that has multi-tool, tube, pump, and tire lever always on it just to grab and go is part of the essential!
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

mtbr member
    X2 on that. Many days that is the essence of being a cyclist and the dirt is where I choose to have my fun I have to have that bike the is low maintenance always ready ... I would add small Frame bag that has multi-tool, tube, pump, and tire lever always on it just to grab and go is part of the essential!
    You mean like this?
    Custom Titanium 29+ Funk Cycles-img_3700.jpg

All fat, all the time.
    Nice bike, don't see too many of those around. Friend of mine had one built a few years back, loves it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    Nice bike, don't see too many of those around. Friend of mine had one built a few years back, loves it.
    Thanks. I've never seen one in person but was told a few have been sold to people in my state.

mtbr member
    I put about 40 miles on the bike over the weekend. I think it's a combination of ti frame, 29+ tires, syntace flex post, and carbon rail saddle, but it's probably the most comfortable hard tail I've ridden while in the saddle. It's also the stiffest bike I've ridden out of the saddle. The stiffness in the bottom bracket is very noticeable, and it feels like it climbs more efficiently than my carbon bike.

I've had issues with "springy" frames and forks in the past. While comfortable at low speeds, the undamped rebound on rough trails at high speeds can make bikes harder to control. The ti frame with the Niner carbon fork, performed exactly like I'd hoped. Mostly solid and stiff feeling, but with just enough give. Hard to put in to words exactly, but the builder delivered the exact ride qualities I wanted.

Geo was spot on too. It's expected from a custom bike, but it literally feels like it was made for me. I was able to just ride the bike and have fun without any fit or geo issues nagging at me in the back of my mind like most other bikes I've owned.

Custom Titanium 29+ Funk Cycles-img_20170916_154357736_hdr.jpg