Results 1 to 25 of 25
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: coke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,311

    Custom Titanium 29+ Funk Cycles

    Thought I'd share some pics of a custom bike I recently had built by Funk Cycles. They were an excellent company to work with. Communication was quick, and they helped source most of the parts for the build. The bike has a custom geometry that is somewhat based on a niner ros 9. Can't recommend them enough if you're in the market for a custom bike.

    The cross on the top tube is a custom graphic I requested. Your graphic options are pretty much limitless.

    The bike came in under 20 pounds including pedals and bottle cages.


    Frame = Funk Cycles - Custom Geo, hand brushed finish, media blasted graphics

    Rims = Kappius XCW (40mm internal)

    Hubs = Project 321 - Magnetic, quiet option, ceramic upgrade (157mm rear, 110 front)

    Spokes = cx-ray

    Fork = Niner Boost

    Cranks = Next SL g4

    BB = King Ceramic (83mm)

    Cog = Niner ti

    Chain = xtr

    Post = syntace hiflex

    Stem = Enve

    Bars = Enve

    Grips = ESI Chunky

    Brakes = Magura MT8 (180f, 160r)

    Headset = King

    Tires = WTB Ranger 29x3

    Bottle Cages = King ti

    Chain ring = Absolute oval 32t

    Slider bolt Upgrade = Paragon ti

    Pedals = Xpedo Mforce 8 ti

    Saddle = Specialized S Works Power

    Custom Titanium 29+ Funk Cycles-welded-headtube-resize.jpg

    Custom Titanium 29+ Funk Cycles-kyle-1.jpg

    Custom Titanium 29+ Funk Cycles-kyle-2.jpg

    Custom graphic I requested.

    Custom Titanium 29+ Funk Cycles-finished-tt.jpg

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rynoman03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    477
    Good looking bike.

    Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bikeny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    3,721
    That thing is sweet! I like that you went 157mm rear and 83mm BB, I did the same on my Moonmen plus frame. Under 20lbs is pretty impressive, although you've certainly got some high end parts on there!

    Now go get it dirty!

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: x3speed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    471
    I can smell the money. Very jealous!

    Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk
    Too many bikes, not enough time...

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: coke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,311
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeny View Post
    That thing is sweet! I like that you went 157mm rear and 83mm BB, I did the same on my Moonmen plus frame. Under 20lbs is pretty impressive, although you've certainly got some high end parts on there!

    Now go get it dirty!
    Thanks!

    I trusted the builder and went with their suggestion for 157mm rear and 83mm bb. Seemed to be the best option for 29+

    I plan to put lots of miles on the bike, so I didn't take any shortcuts on the parts. Coming from a very light carbon bike, I wanted to keep the weight down on this as low as possible without sacrificing durability.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: coke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,311
    Quote Originally Posted by x3speed View Post
    I can smell the money. Very jealous!

    Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk
    I typically buy a couple bikes a year. To justify this bike, I decided I would go at least 2 years before buying another, so in the long run I'm actually saving money with this bike

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,023
    Wow incredible build don't normally comment just to say how great something looks but this seems top notch. How is overall frame stiffness versus the ti "spring" and vibration dampening? Never owned a Ti bike but for 29 Plus seems like it would be a sweet spot (I just need to find a way to make myself need a replace for my Alu Stache!)
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: x3speed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    471
    Quote Originally Posted by coke View Post
    I typically buy a couple bikes a year. To justify this bike, I decided I would go at least 2 years before buying another, so in the long run I'm actually saving money with this bike
    I love that logic, my wife however...

    Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk
    Too many bikes, not enough time...

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: coke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,311
    Quote Originally Posted by HEMIjer View Post
    Wow incredible build don't normally comment just to say how great something looks but this seems top notch. How is overall frame stiffness versus the ti "spring" and vibration dampening? Never owned a Ti bike but for 29 Plus seems like it would be a sweet spot (I just need to find a way to make myself need a replace for my Alu Stache!)
    Thanks! I spent a lot of time researching builders. Funk doesn't get as much attention as some, but their quality seems to be among the best. Craig Sata built the bike.

    I plan to get a decent ride in this weekend and will try to give a ride report. It's the first + bike I've owned, but I have had rigid steel, aluminum, and carbon 29ers, and a rigid aluminum fatbike.

    Comfort was one of the goals of this bike. The plate they use is designed to have some vertical compliance.

    Custom Titanium 29+ Funk Cycles-finished-chain.jpg

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: coke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,311
    Quote Originally Posted by x3speed View Post
    I love that logic, my wife however...

    Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk
    My problem is that my wife also rides/races, and is asking for her own ti bike now

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: x3speed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    471
    That's my dream

    Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk
    Too many bikes, not enough time...

  12. #12
    This place needs an enema
    Reputation: mikesee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    11,654
    Brilliant bike. I love seeing stuff purpose-built for places so different from where I live/ride. The low BB really jumps out, as does the lack of suspension and dropper. Gives perspective on why we like/choose what we do for where we live and ride.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: x3speed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    471
    I agree with Mike. It is neat to see each niche and what bikes are tailored to it.

    Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk
    Too many bikes, not enough time...

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: coke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,311
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    Brilliant bike. I love seeing stuff purpose-built for places so different from where I live/ride. The low BB really jumps out, as does the lack of suspension and dropper. Gives perspective on why we like/choose what we do for where we live and ride.
    Thanks!

    The BB is 12.75", which I didn't think was too low. I've had pedal strike issues on other bikes, but from my experience this height should work on my trails.

    We do have trails that warrant suspension and droppers (primarily ride in Arkansas), but I seem to always choose my rigid singlespeeds over my FS bike when going for a ride or racing. Slower overall, but I love the simplicity, and not having to think about a dropper, gears, or suspension really adds to the enjoyment of the ride

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bikeny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    3,721
    Quote Originally Posted by coke View Post
    We do have trails that warrant suspension and droppers (primarily ride in Arkansas), but I seem to always choose my rigid singlespeeds over my FS bike when going for a ride or racing. Slower overall, but I love the simplicity, and not having to think about a dropper, gears, or suspension really adds to the enjoyment of the ride
    Well said. Most people around me will only ride FS on my local trails, with a handful of Plus hardtails lately. As long as my body can still handle it, I'm sticking with rigid and no dropper post. I have moved to 1x11 in the past few years though, but my bikes are all SS capable and get converted every once in a while for a change. It's nice to just put a few pumps in the tires and go and not worry about all that other stuff. Yeah, I'm a bit slower through the rock gardens and such, but I'm faster everywhere else, or at least I think I am

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,023
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeny View Post
    It's nice to just put a few pumps in the tires and go and not worry about all that other stuff.
    X2 on that. Many days that is the essence of being a cyclist and the dirt is where I choose to have my fun I have to have that bike the is low maintenance always ready ... I would add small Frame bag that has multi-tool, tube, pump, and tire lever always on it just to grab and go is part of the essential!
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bikeny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    3,721
    Quote Originally Posted by HEMIjer View Post
    X2 on that. Many days that is the essence of being a cyclist and the dirt is where I choose to have my fun I have to have that bike the is low maintenance always ready ... I would add small Frame bag that has multi-tool, tube, pump, and tire lever always on it just to grab and go is part of the essential!
    You mean like this?
    Custom Titanium 29+ Funk Cycles-img_3700.jpg

  18. #18
    All fat, all the time.
    Reputation: Shark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    7,606
    Nice bike, don't see too many of those around. Friend of mine had one built a few years back, loves it.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: coke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,311
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    Nice bike, don't see too many of those around. Friend of mine had one built a few years back, loves it.
    Thanks. I've never seen one in person but was told a few have been sold to people in my state.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: coke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,311
    Quote Originally Posted by HEMIjer View Post
    Wow incredible build don't normally comment just to say how great something looks but this seems top notch. How is overall frame stiffness versus the ti "spring" and vibration dampening? Never owned a Ti bike but for 29 Plus seems like it would be a sweet spot (I just need to find a way to make myself need a replace for my Alu Stache!)
    I put about 40 miles on the bike over the weekend. I think it's a combination of ti frame, 29+ tires, syntace flex post, and carbon rail saddle, but it's probably the most comfortable hard tail I've ridden while in the saddle. It's also the stiffest bike I've ridden out of the saddle. The stiffness in the bottom bracket is very noticeable, and it feels like it climbs more efficiently than my carbon bike.

    I've had issues with "springy" frames and forks in the past. While comfortable at low speeds, the undamped rebound on rough trails at high speeds can make bikes harder to control. The ti frame with the Niner carbon fork, performed exactly like I'd hoped. Mostly solid and stiff feeling, but with just enough give. Hard to put in to words exactly, but the builder delivered the exact ride qualities I wanted.

    Geo was spot on too. It's expected from a custom bike, but it literally feels like it was made for me. I was able to just ride the bike and have fun without any fit or geo issues nagging at me in the back of my mind like most other bikes I've owned.

    Custom Titanium 29+ Funk Cycles-img_20170916_154357736_hdr.jpg

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    18
    Such a nice bike! I've just took the plunge into plus with an entry level Stache (now rigid with the same Niner fork that you have, and I have also on my Pivot Les), as I wanted to experiment with chainstay length before making a custom commitment.

    I haven't had any real rides yet, so haven't come to any conclusions, but I'm already wondering how short Funk can go for chainstays. I did see that the Taiga is listed as 17.3-18.1, but also that the custom build process allows for variance of course. I definitely liked the handling of my Les over my GF Superfly 100, and I'm assuming at least part of that is from the shorter chainstays...

    What cs length did you go with?

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: coke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,311
    Quote Originally Posted by DinoRidge View Post
    Such a nice bike! I've just took the plunge into plus with an entry level Stache (now rigid with the same Niner fork that you have, and I have also on my Pivot Les), as I wanted to experiment with chainstay length before making a custom commitment.

    I haven't had any real rides yet, so haven't come to any conclusions, but I'm already wondering how short Funk can go for chainstays. I did see that the Taiga is listed as 17.3-18.1, but also that the custom build process allows for variance of course. I definitely liked the handling of my Les over my GF Superfly 100, and I'm assuming at least part of that is from the shorter chainstays...

    What cs length did you go with?
    I can't remember exactly what I went with, but I absolutely love the way the bike handles. It's a combo of all the measurements though, not just cs length. Also, unless you have a design like the stache, you'll most likely have slightly longer cs length with 29+ than with 29".

    I'd suggest emailing them. Custom means they'll build what you want

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    2

    Funky

    Something like 10 days from delivery of my Funk La Ruta Plus, which is the "springy" frame they make, and I can barely contain myself.

    Seconding everything coke says about communication with the Funk folks and the benefits of customization.
    ME: "I want a bike that bounces like a YBB and rides/handles like a Jones SWB"
    FUNK: "OK, cool!"
    And then we talked for a couple of weeks (!) about geometry and handling characteristics and where and how I ride.

    I will eat post-ride tacos on this story for years, but am happy to tell it here as an example of how good the comms is with the Funk team: After a year of searching and contemplation and all the other research and futzing that goes into figuring out what exactly a dream build entails (not to mention emailing several other builders and receiving no response), I landed on Funk and decided to email them. On a Sunday night. Easter Sunday, to be exact, at like 10pm. And when I woke up in the morning on Monday, there was the response from Matt. He jumped in with both feet, and his enthusiasm hasn't waned.

    Now THAT is a good response time. It's been a cavalcade of email and phone calls since then, with near-daily reports and check-ins and pictures (which I'm not supposed to be posting...quite...yet.....) They've been incredibly patient with me as I've agonized over design decisions, and were a huge help in figuring out how to translate what I wanted into the actual design.

    I really hope this process is similar to how other custom frame builders operate, simply because it is so incredible and every rider deserves the treatment and customer service I'm receiving from Funk Cycles. And if it's not similar....well I hope you know who to email next time you get that NBD itch.

    Custom Titanium 29+ Funk Cycles-tomoefunk.jpg

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: coke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,311
    Quote Originally Posted by tediseasy View Post
    Something like 10 days from delivery of my Funk La Ruta Plus, which is the "springy" frame they make, and I can barely contain myself.

    Seconding everything coke says about communication with the Funk folks and the benefits of customization.
    ME: "I want a bike that bounces like a YBB and rides/handles like a Jones SWB"
    FUNK: "OK, cool!"
    And then we talked for a couple of weeks (!) about geometry and handling characteristics and where and how I ride.

    I will eat post-ride tacos on this story for years, but am happy to tell it here as an example of how good the comms is with the Funk team: After a year of searching and contemplation and all the other research and futzing that goes into figuring out what exactly a dream build entails (not to mention emailing several other builders and receiving no response), I landed on Funk and decided to email them. On a Sunday night. Easter Sunday, to be exact, at like 10pm. And when I woke up in the morning on Monday, there was the response from Matt. He jumped in with both feet, and his enthusiasm hasn't waned.

    Now THAT is a good response time. It's been a cavalcade of email and phone calls since then, with near-daily reports and check-ins and pictures (which I'm not supposed to be posting...quite...yet.....) They've been incredibly patient with me as I've agonized over design decisions, and were a huge help in figuring out how to translate what I wanted into the actual design.

    I really hope this process is similar to how other custom frame builders operate, simply because it is so incredible and every rider deserves the treatment and customer service I'm receiving from Funk Cycles. And if it's not similar....well I hope you know who to email next time you get that NBD itch.
    When I started my search for a builder, I typed up an email describing what I wanted and sent it to a lot of builders. Funk had one of the quickest responses but it was also the most thought out and detailed. That communication along with researching the guy who actually builds their bikes is why I went with them.

    Your weekend emails aren't unique. Through the build process, I sent several emails on Friday or Saturday night, expecting to hear back the following week, but would be shocked when I received a response either that night or the following day!

    The best part is that the service doesn't stop after the purchase. I had some issues I needed resolved, and their communication was just as good as it was before I bought the bike.

    My bike has about 1,100 miles on it now. Still absolutely in love with the way it rides. Can honestly say there's not another bike on the planet I'd rather own
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Custom Titanium 29+ Funk Cycles-img_20171121_103933968-copy.jpg  


  25. #25
    Wanna ride bikes?
    Reputation: *OneSpeed*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    4,670
    ^ that's sweet man, I'm glad your enjoying it!!
    Rigid SS 29er
    Hardtail 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

    Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

Similar Threads

  1. Funk Fat Fork - Titanium Steer Tube?
    By Old School HPV in forum Vintage, Retro, Classic
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 07-23-2013, 11:50 PM
  2. Funk - trying to track down a rigid funk fork
    By ti_pin_man in forum Custom Builders & Other Manufacturers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-23-2013, 11:44 PM
  3. Funk Cycles sub 21LBS @ NAHBS
    By tazducks in forum Weight Weenies
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-05-2012, 10:56 AM
  4. funk cycles forum
    By tazducks in forum Site Feedback/Issues
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-21-2011, 03:25 PM
  5. Funk Cycles
    By panhndl in forum Colorado - Front Range
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 04-08-2011, 05:42 AM

Members who have read this thread: 100

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

mtbr.com and the ConsumerReview Network are business units of Invenda Corporation

(C) Copyright 1996-2018. All Rights Reserved.