mtbr member

Change To Maxxis Rekons?

Figured I would post this here besides the wheel and tire section since it is specific to plus tires. So I sold the 27.5+ Chupacabras that came on my 2017 Fuel EX-8. I wasn't happy with the climbing and overall grip. I put on Maxxis Minion DHF/DHR II. Love the traction but noticing on group rides there is faster separation between me and others. I am thinking of either checking out the Bontrager XR4 team tires when released at the end of the month or possibly looking at Rekons. I ride in the Northeast (Upstate NY) with mostly technical single track. Rocks, roots, climbs, descends, etc. Is there a happy medium for my riding style or should I stick with the Minions?

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    You could just throw a faster tire on the back to start out, and keep that DHF up front. The Rekon would be pretty perfect I would think... If that's not good enough buy another Rekon for the front!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MudderNutter View Post
    You could just throw a faster tire on the back to start out, and keep that DHF up front. The Rekon would be pretty perfect I would think... If that's not good enough buy another Rekon for the front!
    Probably the way to go.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Running DHF/Rekon and it's a great combo.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by FourthOf5 View Post

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Like the combo as well.

mtbr member
    Just ordered a Recon 3C for the rear. Going to keep the DHF on the front and see how that feels.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015

Change To Maxxis Rekons?

Agree 100% - using this combination on my Mojo 3 & Canfield EPO.

Jammin' Econo
    Same on my Yeti. Love this combo.
    "The only way we can truly control the outcome of a ride is not going on it, which is a choice I'm unwilling to make." -K.B.

mtbr member
    Let us know how you make out, I recently swapped from Maxxis 2.5 DHF WT's to Rocket Ron 2.6's F/R . The Maxxis were nice but I can understand what you mean be faster separation as they dug in and felt slow.

The Ron's totally transformed the bike - less weight, much less rolling resistance and excellent grip.

Deviant
    I've got 27.5+ Rekon's front and rear on a Yeti and they're perfect

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by newking View Post
    Let us know how you make out, I recently swapped from Maxxis 2.5 DHF WT's to Rocket Ron 2.6's F/R . The Maxxis were nice but I can understand what you mean be faster separation as they dug in and felt slow.

The Ron's totally transformed the bike - less weight, much less rolling resistance and excellent grip.
    Will do. Riding tomorrow.

edt
    mtbr member
    I've been running the Rekon+ 2.8 on my 27.5+ single speed since March. So far, so good.
    I generally run them at 12 - 15 psi, very happy with the way they roll and even entered a XC race.
    However on steep, loose over hardpacked trails, they lack a bit of climbing traction. It's easy to break the rear loose cranking out of the saddle.
    Otherwise, they're not too heavy and roll well.
    Nice tire.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MTB B'dos
    Maxxis said they improved the casing on the Rekon, so hope it will hold up for you. I'm also running the Rekon r/DHF f combo and really like it, haven't had any issues in the rocks so far with the Rekon.

Another suggestion would be to put in a few solo miles with some good effort and build more fitness
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Ok I rode today 11 miles in a little over 2 hours and 1000' elevation with 4 other riders. They are very good and I am the newest rider since this is only my second full season. A couple of them rode single speed rigid s today. Although I am in very good shape from a lifetime of fitness and weight training I definitely need more saddle time to build up my riding skills and endurance. Not the best test today because there were a ton of leaves, crunchy frost, twigs/rocks, lots of narrow off camber sections, etc.. I will say that I did feel like there wasn't as much holding me back so to speak and I didn't feel like I lost much regarding traction with the Rekon over the DHR II in the rear. 13 psi front and 15 psi rear. Climbing was actually good considering the terrain. Being the tinkerer that I am I was wondering when finished what it would have felt like with a Rekon on the front too. Probably stick with it the way it is especially since my riding is winding down for the winter (I prefer to ski in snow). Spring/summer trail conditions would probably make more sense to play with tire type. So, just curious, you guys recommend DHF/Rekon or Rekon/Rekon?

Deviant
    Curious... what is your body weight with gear? I'm asking because of your tire pressure. When I go that low I feel performance degrade. Started out running 18/19 but since going up to 22/21 it feels night and day better. I kept stalling in rooty sections at lower pressure. I probably weigh 225 with gear though

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Dr Evil -

I think the question of leaving the beefier tire on the front is a matter of whether you are bashing through rock gardens and whatnot. I run a Nobby Nic 3.0 on the front and a Rocket Ron 2.8 rear right now and that works, but if I weren't hammering eastern PA gnar with rocks and big roots there's no way I'd need that NN up front. I'd go Rocket Ron both ends or maybe even Ikon. Be realistic on how much tire you need, but know that trimming down the rear makes a much bigger difference in your ability to sprint and power up quickly over stuff. Leaving a beefier tire up front doesn't drag you down too much....just mash those pedals when needed!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaponized View Post
    Curious... what is your body weight with gear? I'm asking because of your tire pressure. When I go that low I feel performance degrade. Started out running 18/19 but since going up to 22/21 it feels night and day better. I kept stalling in rooty sections at lower pressure. I probably weigh 225 with gear though

165 with gear. I originally started with 18/20 and felt I was bouncing off of rocks/roots too much.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeInPA View Post
    Dr Evil -

I think the question of leaving the beefier tire on the front is a matter of whether you are bashing through rock gardens and whatnot. I run a Nobby Nic 3.0 on the front and a Rocket Ron 2.8 rear right now and that works, but if I weren't hammering eastern PA gnar with rocks and big roots there's no way I'd need that NN up front. I'd go Rocket Ron both ends or maybe even Ikon. Be realistic on how much tire you need, but know that trimming down the rear makes a much bigger difference in your ability to sprint and power up quickly over stuff. Leaving a beefier tire up front doesn't drag you down too much....just mash those pedals when needed!
    Thanks Mike. There are rocks in much of my single track. Sometimes on climbing, when it levels out, etc. Not necessarily bombing rock gardens. Technical single track here in upstate NY has some pointy rocks, areas where they are clustered for a few feet, roots dispersed. There can be such a variety on the trails where sometimes it feels like the gnar won't quit to not too much gnar with some decent flow. I guess the only way to know how much I need is to possibly put a Rekon on the front at some point and see if it is a good thing or a bad thing.

mtbr member
    Any other thoughts on DHF/Rekon vs. Rekon/Rekon? Again, 165 lbs with gear, 54, 5'4" in good shape, technical single track here in upstate NY with rocks, roots, climbing, descends, off camber. A little bit of everything.

Deviant
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Evil View Post
    Any other thoughts on DHF/Rekon vs. Rekon/Rekon. Again, 165 lbs with gear, 54, 5'4" in good shape, technical single track here in upstate NY with rocks, roots, climbing, descends, off camber. A little bit of everything.
    The only thing I couldn't comment on is of rocks. My terrain is primarily sand, roots, and mud. I think Rekons front and rear are pretty stellar in those conditions, even in thick peanut butter type sand. Admittedly I'm a bit of a rookie after a long hiatus but these tires make me look good so that's saying something. As a side note... I've just started practicing with clipless pedals in my yard and there's an off-camber section behind my house with marble-to-golf ball-sized volcanic gravel and it grips that stuff quite well

aka bOb
    I like running a DHF on front mainly because it makes it look like I'm a hard charger In all serious (which I kinda was) Rekon front might be enough for my riding.

Jammin' Econo
    They're both great tires. The DHF speaks for itself, and I've been pleasantly surprised by the Rekon exceeding my expectations in the traction and handling dept. The Rekon is also about 200g lighter than the DHF, if that matters to you.

I think it just comes down to how much you like having additional traction up front for tech terrain, charging hard into corners, etc. The Rekon offers a fair bit as a front tire, the DHF offers a lot.

There are certainly some rides where a Rekon f/r is really all I need. But I've had the Rekon break loose on me multiple times in the front. I also ride a lot in loose, rocky conditions, fwiw. And in those situations, there is no substitute for the DHF.
    "The only way we can truly control the outcome of a ride is not going on it, which is a choice I'm unwilling to make." -K.B.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smithhammer View Post
    They're both great tires. The DHF speaks for itself, and I've been pleasantly surprised by the Rekon exceeding my expectations in the traction and handling dept. The Rekon is also about 200g lighter than the DHF, if that matters to you.

I think it just comes down to how much you like having additional traction up front for tech terrain, charging hard into corners, etc. The Rekon offers a fair bit as a front tire, the DHF offers a lot.

There are certainly some rides where a Rekon f/r is really all I need. But I've had the Rekon break loose on me multiple times in the front. I also ride a lot in loose, rocky conditions, fwiw. And in those situations, there is no substitute for the DHF.
    I get it is a trade off when it comes to finding a balance. Would the weight difference of the Rekon make climbing a bit easier due to moving less weight uphill? Not sure if the amount of traction loss in the Rekon over the DHF would be that noticeable. Your thoughts?

Jammin' Econo
    I get it is a trade off when it comes to finding a balance. Would the weight difference of the Rekon make climbing a bit easier due to moving less weight uphill? Not sure if the amount of traction loss in the Rekon over the DHF would be that noticeable. Your thoughts?
    Personally, I don't think a 200gr. difference is going to be noticeable when climbing. Weight weenies may differ on that, though.

The traction difference between the Rekon and the DHF is noticeable - when you're in the kind of conditions where it's noticeable. For typical XC riding, I don't think the DHF is necessary. But if you're getting into chunkier stuff, it makes a difference.

mtbr member
    Personally, I don't think a 200gr. difference is going to be noticeable when climbing. Weight weenies may differ on that, though.

The traction difference between the Rekon and the DHF is noticeable - when you're in the kind of conditions where it's noticeable. For typical XC riding, I don't think the DHF is necessary. But if you're getting into chunkier stuff, it makes a difference.
    Appreciate your perspective. Funny the different points of view. I asked a rep from Competitive earlier today and he felt 1/2 lb. difference would help with climbing although personally he said he would stick with the DHF. Confused a bit on XC vs. single track trail riding. The trails I described a few posts ago, you wouldn't consider those XC, would you?

Jammin' Econo
    Appreciate your perspective. Funny the different points of view. I asked a rep from Competitive earlier today and he felt 1/2 lb. difference would help with climbing although personally he said he would stick with the DHF. Confused a bit on XC vs. single track trail riding. The trails I described a few posts ago, you wouldn't consider those XC, would you?
    I worked in the outdoor industry long enough to take anything a rep says with a grain of salt.

My comments on terrain were just general comments, not necessarily in reference to your specific trail conditions. And terrain is obviously only one factor in tire choice.

mtbr member
    I worked in the outdoor industry long enough to take anything a rep says with a grain of salt.

My comments on terrain were just general comments, not necessarily in reference to your specific trail conditions. And terrain is obviously only one factor in tire choice.
    So, I ride a "trail" bike, based on the definition. What would you classify technical single track with rocks, roots, some features as far as boulders periodically, small rock jumps (1-2 feet), climbs (periodically with some loose rocks), downhill sections (no where near lift assisted type), narrow off camber sections, etc.? What would be some other factors in tire choice?

Jammin' Econo
    So, I ride a "trail" bike, based on the definition. What would you classify technical single track with rocks, roots, some features as far as boulders periodically, small rock jumps (1-2 feet), climbs (periodically with some loose rocks), downhill sections (no where near lift assisted type), narrow off camber sections, etc.?
    Yes, if it needs to be classified, I'd say that sounds like "technical" singletrack.

What would be some other factors in tire choice?
    Rider ability and preference. Wet vs. dry performance. Profile, esp. given rim width. Weight, if that's a concern.

Honestly, it's hard to make tire recommendations for someone else. Based on your description of the trails you ride, I think either tire could work just fine. As I said above, I think a lot of it comes down to - do you prefer a lighter tire, with smaller knobs and less rolling resistance, or are you willing to go with a little heavier tire that offers really good traction, but maybe doesn't roll quite as fast? In my opinion, that's largely what the choice between the Rekon and the DHF come down to, but only you can decide what the answer is.

MTB B'dos
    My setup of Rekon rear/DHF front is a mis match, so not sure if it counts as much as my DHF is a 29x3.0" and the Rekon is the 2.8 650B, but for me, I love looking down at the DHF and knowing that I don't have to worry if I have "enough" tyre to tackle any terrain I come across The weight difference to me is miniscule and since I don't want to be swapping out front tyres depending on the trails/terrain I'll be riding, I'll stick with the "for sure" option. That being said, would love to give the Rekon a go upfront and back and se how it handles. Only experience with the Rekon upfront was with a Nobby Nic in the rear TS compound and it was night and day compared to the same NN TS tyre in the front in wet conditions.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

Jammin' Econo
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    ....but for me, I love looking down at the DHF and knowing that I don't have to worry if I have "enough" tyre to tackle any terrain I come across The weight difference to me is miniscule and since I don't want to be swapping out front tyres depending on the trails/terrain I'll be riding, I'll stick with the "for sure" option. .
    My thoughts exactly.

mtbr member
    Yes, if it needs to be classified, I'd say that sounds like "technical" singletrack.
    And technical single track is not the same as XC trails? Not trying to be difficult, just trying to get this clear in my own head.

(BTW my rims are 40mm and tires are 2.8")

Jammin' Econo
    And technical single track is not the same as XC trails? Not trying to be difficult, just trying to get this clear in my own head.
    Sure, it could be. All this classification of different types of riding gets a little silly, imo. Used to be we just just rode bikes on dirt - up, down, smooth, chunk, whatever. Just pick the tire based on the terrain demands of where you ride, combined with your preferences, regardless of whether it's considered "XC" or "trail" or whatever it's being referred to this year. For what you are describing, I doubt the DHF/Rekon combo will disappoint.

mtbr member
    Sure, it could be. All this classification of different types of riding gets a little silly, imo. Used to be we just just rode bikes on dirt - up, down, smooth, chunk, whatever. Just pick the tire based on the terrain demands of where you ride, combined with your preferences, regardless of whether it's considered "XC" or "trail" or whatever it's being referred to this year. For what you are describing, I doubt the DHF/Rekon combo will disappoint.

Old Fart Swamper

Cool-blue Rhythm

The way I simplified all this:

XC:
    Out In the open, miles and miles, longer climbs, some faster and smoother sections, rock and roots but not constantly.

Trail:
    In the woods, more of the narrow and twisty, more chudar, roots, rocks, drops, tree's trying to grab your handle bar.

All Mountain:
    Getting some air time, shuttle runs up but not always, earning the descents
    by spending time In the Hurt locker on long steep climbs.
    Very Fast.

Single Track :
    One way trails for safety..

I ride XC, Trail, and Single track about equally..

Got the 120tpi 3c speed and terra 2.8 rekons on my bike.
    Tubeless, 185 pounds, HT bike, 14-15 psi rear and 13-14 front.
    13 months of mostly two to three rides a week of 15-20 miles.
    No pavement riding, lots of sand, leaves, roots and just a few rocky sections,
    They do not yet need to be replaced~~~~~~~~~~
    “I seek only the Flow”, "27.5+ Hard Tails Rock"
    My Scooter : 2017 Scott Scale 720 Plus

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I took Rocket Ron off the back and put on the Maxxis Rekon. So far I'm liking the Rekon better. Did some snow riding with it over the weekend. Not as good as riding my fat bike but did surprisingly well.

I have Nobby Nic on front and will now probably change it out to a Rekon.

Change To Maxxis Rekons?-876a7f4fd80a4882bd9bd0ca87367507.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Ww call them trails in the MA area. Lots of rock, with everything else.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

(BTW my rims are 40mm and tires are 2.8")
    Everyones idea of " trail" is different. Boston, MA rider. Rocks, big rocks, small rocks, boulders, slab granite, with some logs and dirt for fun. Running 29 x 2.5 dhf front on a 30 mm rim, 29 x2.3 dhr rear. Works well for my trails and my conditions. Never lacks for traction. If your tires fail to bite, problems can occur. What are others riding in your area? Maxxis are very popular here, long lasting with plenty of traction.

mtbr member
    What did you like better about the Rekon over the Ron? the grip, less rolling resistance or both? They both appear to be about the same weight. I am told the Ron is slightly 'bigger" than the Rekon size for size...

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by newking View Post
    What did you like better about the Rekon over the Ron? the grip, less rolling resistance or both? They both appear to be about the same weight. I am told the Ron is slightly 'bigger" than the Rekon size for size...
    It feels like it has less rolling resistance to me. Plus it seems like the rekon is a more durable tire.

I put on a new rocket ron in May of this year and have put 840 miles on the bike since then and the tire is somewhat trashed. Never flatted but chunks of knobs are missing all over the tire and the center tread is wore down.

My Ron was a 3.0. I initially thought that I would lose some bottom bracket height switching to the 2.8 rekon but I measured BB height before and after the tire change and my BB height was exactly the same. Maybe the rekon runs taller than other 2.8 tires? Idk?