mtbr member

Carbon fork for my plus bike? Entering a bike packing race.

I am looking for a little bit of help finding a Ridgid fork for my 2018 Norco torrent.
    I have entered a bike packing race in late June and want to switch out my fork.

my current fork is 140mm of travel and my bike has a 66.6 head angle. The fork is 551mm long, I have found a carbon fork that is 491mm length.

Will dropping my FL really mess my geometry up and bottom bracket height? I know that my bike never sits at a full 140mm travel, being that I would probably run 20% to 30% sag.

My big concerns with running my current fork is weight, and that it's way more travel then I'll need in a bike packing race.

Here is the fork I am looking at
    FO009- Dengfu Sports Equipment Co.Ltd

Rocking on a Rocky
    It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it Rubber Side Down●~●.

Fanny Pack Mafia
    A to C is the critical measurement. Some quick math shows that 30% sag (what I would consider the limit of how low I would want to go) is 42mm. 551-42=509mm. That's your target.

I'd see if you can find a 29+ fork with a similar A to C. I vaguely remember someone that found a 510mm rigid fork. Do some searches, you'll find something.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    AC:

Bowie pro (trek-Bontrager): 495 mm
    Niner: 490 mm
    Carver: 490 mm
    Whisky: 483 mm

Longer ones? Do not know...
    Regards

Enviado desde mi MotoG3 mediante Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Look into the new Trek Carbon fork that goes on their new Trek 1120. It is approximately 510mm A-C measurement so it is a little higher than some of the other options. It is boost, fits 29+, has triple cage mounts on both sides. Rumor has it that dealers can order it for $399.99

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the leads everyone, sounds like the trek fork is my best lead. Will follow up with my local shop.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    You can always adjust the axle to crown by adding a spacer.

https://www.mtbtools.com/product/ext...ork-clearance/

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I would add that weight on your fork significantly slows handling. So if you are going to add water bottles, a handlebar bag, etc, a steeper HTA is not entirely bad. The downside is that you don't change just the HTA if you shorten the AC beyond your sag value.

Fanny Pack Mafia
    Quote Originally Posted by hwcn View Post
    You can always adjust the axle to crown by adding a spacer.

https://www.mtbtools.com/product/ext...ork-clearance/
    Unless I'm missing something, that spacer will not change the A to C on a rigid fork. It will only impact stack and HTA.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Fanny Pack Mafia
    Quote Originally Posted by fotooutdoors View Post
    I would add that weight on your fork significantly slows handling. So if you are going to add water bottles, a handlebar bag, etc, a steeper HTA is not entirely bad. The downside is that you don't change just the HTA if you shorten the AC beyond your sag value.
    Again, the A to C will NOT change on a rigid fork.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    Again, the A to C will NOT change on a rigid fork.
    I don't think I said it would change. My point, perhaps not clearly stated, was that there was an advantage, if the OP is hauling something on the handlebars/fork, to a shorter AC than what a sagged fork gives (ie going to something shorter than 510 mm or so). That said, it will impact STA, BB height, saddle angle, etc.

Fanny Pack Mafia
    Quote Originally Posted by fotooutdoors View Post
    I don't think I said it would change. My point, perhaps not clearly stated, was that there was an advantage, if the OP is hauling something on the handlebars/fork, to a shorter AC than what a sagged fork gives (ie going to something shorter than 510 mm or so). That said, it will impact STA, BB height, saddle angle, etc.
    Your right, sorry I read it too fast. I see what your saying.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    Unless I'm missing something, that spacer will not change the A to C on a rigid fork. It will only impact stack and HTA.
    It effectively adds height to the A to C on a rigid fork.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    It doesnít change the fork, but it does change the effective A-C measurement. If the goal is to keep the geometry the same and you have found an inexpensive fork that you like, the spacers can be used to adjust the geometry in a very cost effective manner.

Always in the wrong gear
    That ican fork linked above is a direct copy of the Whisky fork. I love my Whisky no9, but I think for your purposes the Niner fork is the best. Itís long, and it has bosses on it to mount things.

As others have mentioned before, a shorter rigid fork isnít the end of the world. My bike is designed around a 120mm fork, unsagged a-to-c of approx 525mm, and I still bounce back and forth between a 120mm Reba and and the 483mm Whisky- 17mm short of the Ďproperí a-to-c. I add an extra 10mm spacer under the stem, and I think I actually prefer this setup, but some days just call for some front squish.

I understand you donít want to make the handling too twitchy, but Iíve not found a shorter a2c to me too bad, and honestly, how rad are you getting with 30 lbs of gear on the frame?
    Donít modify the trail to match your skills, modify your skills to match the trails.

Fanny Pack Mafia
    Quote Originally Posted by hwcn View Post
    It doesnít change the fork, but it does change the effective A-C measurement. If the goal is to keep the geometry the same and you have found an inexpensive fork that you like, the spacers can be used to adjust the geometry in a very cost effective manner.
    It's measured from the axle to the base of the crown race, which doesn't change if you jack the front of the bike up. It won't make your fork longer.

Here's an example from Sheldon Brown.

Carbon fork for my plus bike? Entering a bike packing race.-screen-shot-2018-03-04-11.51.06-am.png

You contradict yourself in the same sentence. It will change the geometry, stack height and HTA, like I said before.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Always in the wrong gear
    Imagine the distance from axle to the lower headset cup. That spacer effectively moves your headtube away from your front wheel on the axis of the steerer tube. No, the actual a2c doesnít change, but it does a pretty good job of restoring the HTA, and simulating a longer travel fork.
    Donít modify the trail to match your skills, modify your skills to match the trails.

Fanny Pack Mafia
    Quote Originally Posted by ARandomBiker View Post
    Imagine the distance from axle to the lower headset cup. That spacer effectively moves your headtube away from your front wheel on the axis of the steerer tube. No, the actual a2c doesnít change, but it does a pretty good job of restoring the HTA, and simulating a longer travel fork.
    ^ this
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)