mtbr member
    May 2014

Best bang for buck 27.5+ ~$700

Hi guys, So I am trying to get into a 27+ for around $700. Unfortunately, this is my max for a while so I have to stay at around this price.

I have found 3 Bikes

Nishiki Colorado comp 27.5+
    On sale for $499
    The best part of the bike is it's running a Sram NX 1x11 setup.
    I have ridden it and i like it, the major downside for me is, I'm not sure if the tires can be set up tubeless.
    Link

GT Ricochet Sport 27.5 Plus
    On sale $599
    Best part of this bike would seem to be the tapered head tube.
    I have ridden this as well, did not feel as good as the Nishiki.
    Link

And then the Bikes direct Motobecane for $699
    Link

Thanks for any help.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The Nishiki is only running a Plus 2.8 tire on the front with a 2.35 on the rear. No Boost front or rear it appears. 30mm rims- too skinny.

The GT has Boost and 2.8 tires on 40mm inner width rims. 15x110 front but 141 Boost rear hub. The only bike with the correct width rims for Plus.

Moto has Boost 148 hub rear and 110 front with 2.8 tires but 29 inner width rims.

The fork on all is for bike paths and smooth trail. No rebound damping and plastic not metal bushings inside.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    The Nishiki is only running a Plus 2.8 tire on the front with a 2.35 on the rear. No Boost front or rear it appears. 30mm rims- too skinny.
    I thought that was strange so when i was on site i verifed that in fact both tires are 2.8 on 30mm rims. They both also have through axle on the front but not on the rear.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    If looking at motobecane, consider diamondback bikes.

tire to rim ratio tester
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    The GT has Boost and 2.8 tires on 40mm inner width rims. 15x110 front but 141 Boost rear hub. The only bike with the correct width rims for Plus.
    How fast do you guys usually take corners to get a + tire to roll off the rim?

I have a 2.8 on a 25mm rim and have had zero problems so far, even with hairpin switchbacks. I've tried to cut too far back (oversteer) on a turn on purpose just to see what the crash limit is for losing grip, and still the tire stayed on just fine. But I'm also not taking sharp turns at like 15 mph either...
    Pierced from below, souls of my treacherous past

B.Ike
    the nishiki would be my choice here....way better drivetrain..all else being kind of close, bikes in this price range come with crap tires, replace with TR and there[s a good chance tubeless comversion will work.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Well... WTB originally said the trailblazer 2.8s were meant for rims 30-45mm inner width, so... 30 is right on spec.

BUT... if you can find one... the Mongoose Tyax Super Sport is a 2x8 drivetrain with tubeless ready rims, a coil-oil fork with a 5 position compression adjustment (full open to full lock, spots 2, 3 and 4 are where you'll likely run it, it clunks if you bottom it while in the full open position) and the crankset and front derailleur are 10 speed ring models so swap the chain, rear derailleur, cassette and shifter and you have a 2x10.

Mongoose | Tyax Supa Sport
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    The bike direct is the only one with decent, actually good, hydraulic brakes. Put a decent 120mm fork to slacken it slighty, good to go.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    look at your local bike shops for close out deals
    2017 Specialized 6 Fattie Carbon
    2017 Felt Surplus 30
    2018 Specialized Diverge
    2015 Felt DD30 fat bike

mtbr member
    May 2014
    So after investigating further, it seems that the hubs are 135QR, from what i understand this is 141Thru axle. But the frame does not support thru axle on the rear, so i would need to use QR end caps to make a 141 Thru axle hub work on the bike. Am i right in this?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    All those bike I would wait and look for something used or maybe a Marin Pine Mountain on sale.

for above question

135qr translates to 142 thru axle same wheel dish and disc spacing
    141qr translates to 148 thru axle same as above

you can get adpaters to go 135/142 to 141/148 but need to redish wheel and IMO is not worth the extra stress putting on due to adapters unless only option, at your price point make sure you get a set of wheels that are tubeless but you are going to kind of get what you get as far as spacing.
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Sometimes Rickety, not a turd

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    There are new 2017 Marin Pine mtns on eBay for 700. Also performance has 2018s for more but they have a sale coming. If you can get into that bike best option compared to others in this thread.

Your choice obviously if eBay or online route is for you.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    When is this sale happening? I need a new pine.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Not sure check their webpage often. Saw a 30% points last week when gave quick look. Anyway for record I haven't had need to buy anything g from performance in a long time. Was great and convenient when I got back into sport 10 years ago just no need now use a smaller local LBS. For newer riders or very restrictive budgets could be option for some. New Pines do look sweet for sure if I didn't own a Stache I would be considering them when the current herd could accept a new member.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    https://www.performancebike.com/shop...e-2018-31-8469 looks like still has the 30% points back

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    That's actually a really good deal. One could grab a better set of tires and a good bit of accessories. I may hit that up.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    this doesn't help now but bulls bikes had a Copperhead rsi 3 (alum) with 90% xt group for 700....
    I almost $#!t myself when I saw it..... point being fortune favors the patient.