mtbr member
    Oct 2018

Am I crazy? ...in regards to kids bikes.

I'm new to this forum. Hi everyone!

I'll cut right to it: I'm planning to buy my son, who is 8 years old and 54 inches tall, a 26+ bike. I'm looking at the Norco Fluid HT in size xs. I'm leaning towards the women's frame rather than the men's but the geo specs are very similar. He is currently riding a 24+ bike but the mech is less than desirable. Much better value in adult bikes. I don't want to invest in a better 24" bike knowing he will outgrow it relatively quick. Any parents out there with similar experiences? Good or bad idea?

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    I had the same issue. I skipped the 24 and went straight to 26. My 10yr has a Superfly 26 and loves it. The issue with most XS is the reach is to much and kids have to turn their whole body vs just the arms/shoulders.

You could also look at Guerrilla gravity. They make an extra small and will make frame adjustment to a build. You can pick and choose the components saving money.

I'm looking at their XS for my daughter's next bike. Then add she grows I'll just buy the frame and transfer the hardware.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Thanks! Yes, the reach is my biggest concern with the norco. I would swap out stem of course.

Ill check into the guerilla bike.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    We also skipped the 24" frame and went straight to XS 26. We ran 24" + wheels in it for a while before going 26.