mtbr member
    Jan 2014

AL Gnarvester vs Jabberwocky vs ???

I want to build a dedicated SS 29+ rig for training and general fun. Iíve been riding my Carve SL with a Chupa on the front and would love to have one on the rear too. I convert my fatbike to geared 29+ in the summer. My race bike is a Pivot Mach 429SL. My hardtail is a YelliScreamy with a 140 and 27.5+.

I have the following parts:
    Older green flexy Krampus fork
    Cane Creek headset
    Shimano Octa-Link 3X cranks and BB
    Race Face 32T ring
    Problem solvers SS cogs 22,20,18
    Wheels set Ė Velocity P35s laced to QR XT hubs
    Carbon 780 riser bars
    And an assortment of other spare parts.

The things Iím missing are a frame and brakes. Someday I might build a proper plus wheelset and get a carbon fork, but funds are tight right now.

Has anyone ridden a Gnarvester and a Jabberwocky? Or have other suggestions for a 29+ frameset with QR sliders?
    Iím looking for something as nimble and playful as the Carve SL and Yelli.

Space Ghost
    Just saw this. I owned an Al Gnarvester to experiment with 29+, then bought the Vassago. I like the Vassago quite a bit better, but I am a HUGE fan of steel HTs. Can't really explain it, because I am sure the sag of the tires probably negates the ride quality difference b/w the Al and steel, but i still prefer steel. The chain stays are a bit shorter on the Vassago. Love the bike. YMMV
    "No good deed goes unpunished"

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I really do want the Vassago, but they are impossible to get any reply.

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by slowride454 View Post
    I really do want the Vassago, but they are impossible to get any reply.
    I've got two Optimus Ti's, and know Tom, the owner. Email him directly at tament@vassagocycles.com, or message him on Facebook at Tom Vassago. You'll get him...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ride more; post less...

Space Ghost
    I will say, BOTH were great to deal with. I spoke with Tom (Vassago) several times before buying and e-mailed several times. All were handled promptly. Same experience with Forrest (Carver). I wouldn't hesitate to buy from either again.
    "No good deed goes unpunished"

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    find a used stache frame. you can definitely spend more but i don't think you could have more fun. it is just a fun bike; and probably a cheap experiment if you can find a gently used frame.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by max-a-mill View Post
    find a used stache frame. you can definitely spend more but i don't think you could have more fun. it is just a fun bike; and probably a cheap experiment if you can find a gently used frame.
    I agree that the Stache is one of the best 29+ frames out there, but it won't work for the OP. He needs a QR frame.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I'm willing to forego the rims I have for a good bike. My concern with the Stache, Timberjack and Woodsmoke is the slack geometry.

mtbr member
    You can find a Niner ROS 9 plus occasionally for a great deal. I love mine. Steel, stealth routing for a dropper and an ebb to run it geared or single.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slowride454 View Post
    I'm willing to forego the rims I have for a good bike. My concern with the Stache, Timberjack and Woodsmoke is the slack geometry.
    The geo on these bikes is an asset, not a reason not to ride them. I have spent time on a Stache, and a Timberjack. Both are great, but the Stache is the best 29+ hardtail right now. Ride one before you decided against it based on the numbers.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain_America1976 View Post
    The geo on these bikes is an asset, not a reason not to ride them. I have spent time on a Stache, and a Timberjack. Both are great, but the Stache is the best 29+ hardtail right now. Ride one before you decided against it based on the numbers.
    Yup. I've climbed things with my Stache without even thinking about it that my other rides made me fail 50% of the time.

Descending? Fahgetaboutit! Rails. Corners like crazy, playful, fun. Digg.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I would love to find a 2016 purple 19.5 Stache frame to match my Farley, but I'm not sure how long it would take for me to build it up. If I get a QR frame with threaded BB I only need brakes. If I get a TA frame with PF BB I will start from scratch.