Page 38 of 38 FirstFirst ... 283435363738
Results 1,851 to 1,863 of 1863

Thread: 27.5+ Tires

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by mglder View Post
    Why would you want to order from America? You'll get tax/vat added on once they arrive.

Get them from europe. HiBike.de sell them. And they are basically not far off the price of the regular size specialized tyres over here.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk
    They aren't available until the end of May/early June in Europe (Specialized UK won't be stocking the 2.8s at all) and I was hoping to get some now.

gone walk about
    Quote Originally Posted by mglder View Post
    Why would you want to order from America? You'll get tax/vat added on once they arrive.
    because often times they are not available just as when us mericans go in search for goods, sometimes we end up purchasing euro if we want it bad enough that's why.
    "ORANGE IS THE NEW BLACK"

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by levity View Post
    I've run a 27.5x3.0 Rocket Ron in the back on two different bikes at 12-14 psi. It rolls well and is OK on rocky surfaces (Moab type slick rock) and hardback "hero dirt" that's firm and tacky. However, it slides too much in loose on hard here in SoCal and does't bite enough in soft or muddy conditions.

I'd recommend a Nobby Nic if you need lots of traction. Another option in the 2.8 size is the Maxxis Rekon, sort of in between the NoNic and RoRo. Much better grip than the RoRo, more predictable when it does slide, also light weight, and fast rolling.
    Huge thanks for this.
    This fear tire would be used i rocky, slippery terrain hence need to slick well but also be predictable when running downhill.
    Initally i thought that RoRon might work, but when more i search than see that this tire i actually more XC oriented and i might no benefit from roling resistance and sacrify too much of grip.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Feendog View Post
    Good Friday Evening,

I have the following three tires:
    -3.0 WTB Trail Boss
    -3.0 Surly Dirt Wizard
    -3.0 Specialized Ground Control.

What would you suggest as front and rear tire for the most reliable combo with the best traction. I recently got a 27.5+ Surly KM and will be riding technical terrain in New England.
    Dirt Wizard front, Trail Boss rear.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Feendog View Post
    Good Friday Evening,

I have the following three tires:
    -3.0 WTB Trail Boss
    -3.0 Surly Dirt Wizard
    -3.0 Specialized Ground Control.

What would you suggest as front and rear tire for the most reliable combo with the best traction. I recently got a 27.5+ Surly KM and will be riding technical terrain in New England.
    Dirt Wizard front, Dirt Wizard rear. Or if you only have one of each, DW front, TB rear.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by majr View Post
    Dirt Wizard front, Dirt Wizard rear. Or if you only have one of each, DW front, TB rear.
    Thanks. I only have one DW. DW looks to be tiny bit more narrow than The Trail Boss. I do have a 2.8 Trail Blazer so maybe I'll go with that in the rear.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Was wondering whether anyone has had a chance to ride both the Butcher Grid 2.8 and Purgatory Grid 3.0...?

My rims are WTB i35's and I installed the Butcher 2.8's last night. Just measured them now to be 2.65" knob-to-knob. Compared to the WTB Trail Boss 3.0's I pulled off the same rims, these look substantially smaller (lower volume). I was wondering whether I'd be better off running the 3.0 Purgatory Grid front/back, the Butcher 2.8's aren't looking much bigger than my regular 27.5 setup of Magic Marys on i30 rims. The 3.0 Trail Boss cleared my frame but not by much (4-5mm either side at the chainstays) so not sure if the Purgatory 3.0 would. I'm in the Pacific Northwest and ride plenty of wet rocks and roots so grip is important...question is...would I have better grip with the lower-volume Butcher 2.8's at say 17-18psi or the Purgatory 3.0's at ~14-15psi?
    ride, eat, sleep, repeat

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Is there actually a 2.8 Butcher Grid? I only see the Butcher Controls on the S website. The Butcher Grids have a much softer compound, but the Controls are only slightly softer than the Purgs. Softer compounds generally grip better in the wet than wider tire, because tire slip happens at much lower forces (before the tire deforms) when it's wet. I'm not sure how those two would compare in the dry, however.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by phride View Post
    Is there actually a 2.8 Butcher Grid?
    I'm looking at it on my wheel right now - Butcher Grid Gripton 650bx2.8

That said, it looks like both the Butcher Grid & Purgatory Grid now use the Gripton compound...the only difference then being the tread pattern and knob height. I imagine the Purgatory would have a rounder profile whereas the Butcher is a bit more square (especially consider they'd be going on an i35 rim).
    ride, eat, sleep, repeat

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    I'm not sure that Gripton means anything (although it sure sounds cool). The Purgatory Grid and Control both have rubber coming with 60a durometer rating on the center of the tread and 50a (softer compound) on the tread shoulder. The Butcher Control is specced as 50a throughout, and the Butcher Grid knobs are 42a (much softer), although the 2.8 isn't up on their website yet. Assuming it is the same, I would expect the Butcher to give you much better traction, and I would also think that you could run a lower pressure than 15-16, if you had the Trail Bosses at 14-15, as the Grid sidewalls should be much stiffer than the TBs'. Also, the Purg 3.0s have a much wider bead to bead measurement (180) than the Trail Boss (167), so I would expect that they wouldn't quite fit your current bike.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I appreciate the insight, I didn't realize the Purg 3.0's are quite that big - definitely a no-go on my Remedy. Sounds like the super-soft knobs on the Butcher Grid will match up quite well with the generally wet conditions in my neck of the woods...might go with something a bit less aggressive for the drier summer months. Cheers!
    ride, eat, sleep, repeat

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by tdotrider View Post
    I appreciate the insight, I didn't realize the Purg 3.0's are quite that big - definitely a no-go on my Remedy. Sounds like the super-soft knobs on the Butcher Grid will match up quite well with the generally wet conditions in my neck of the woods...might go with something a bit less aggressive for the drier summer months. Cheers!
    Purg 3.0s measure close to a true 3.0. Butcher 2.8s do measure kind of small, as you have seen.
    As others have stated, the Butcher is a MUCH softer rubber compound, way grippier. I can't comment on your trails, but in the east on rocks/hardpack the Butcher is considerably grippier, and tougher. I would run a Purg 3.0 at around 15.5F/17.5R, whereas the Butcher 2.8 needs 18F/20R to keep from banging the rims on rocks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    [QUOTE=phride;13092117]I'm not sure that Gripton means anything (although it sure sounds cool). The Purgatory Grid and Control both have rubber coming with 60a durometer rating on the center of the tread and 50a (softer compound) on the tread shoulder. The Butcher Control is specced as 50a throughout, and the Butcher Grid knobs are 42a (much softer), although the 2.8 isn't up on their website yet. Assuming it is the same, I would expect the Butcher to give you much better traction, and I would also think that you could run a lower pressure than 15

Pretty sure the Trail Boss is 180mm b-b also. I had a set on I-36mm rims and they measured out to 75mm knob to knob.

Page 38 of 38 FirstFirst ... 283435363738