Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 121819202122
Results 2,101 to 2,178 of 2178

Thread: 27.5+ Tires

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jga013 View Post
    The HRII 3.0 is about 28 5/8" in diameter. The only 2.8 I've tried is the WTB Ranger. It was 28 1/4" in diameter (which seems to be fairly typical for the 2.8's from what I've read). It may not sound like much, but it made a huge difference in the number of pedal strikes with the 2.8 on back (and still having a 3.0 on the front).

I really like the HRII. Definitively one of the better full 3" tires out there. Probably not as much grip as the DHF, but a lot better than the XC based tread patterns.
    Thanks for the info. I'm actually looking for rear tire, so more than likely it's going to be the HRII.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    I'll second that, I'm running 3.0s HRIIs front and rear, they grip like crazy, you feel the knobs and sure it's a little slower rolling, but I just set 4 prs with them on so there's that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

F-meister
    Jun 2004
    Terrene Chunk Tough 3.0's not so tough.
    After a year running S-Grid WTB Ranger combo with no drama mounted Terrene in the rear. Same bike ,same terrain -
    Within the week pinched bead in one and put a hole in second . Sidewall in much softer then worn out Rangers. Rubber is also much harder. Nobs are nice and aggressive but casing is thinner. I'll give'em one more try. If they fail me again I'm back to Rangers.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by fugsworth View Post
    Tire height: Maxxis HRII 3.0 vs DHF Minion 2.8 Anyone measured the difference in height between them?
    Stuck a HRII 3.0 on the front (i29 rim) and it's coming in at 2 11/16". I have a Spec Purgatory Grid and it comes in at about 2 13/16. I only have two rides on the HR II but initial impressions is that it's a really grippy front tire. I had dual Purgs but found the front started washing out with a little wear. I still like the Purg grip on the rear so I just replaced the worn tire with a new 3.0.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    pinching a bead is more you than the tire.

chunk is 62a middle and 51a side knobs.

ranger is 60a middle and 42a side knobs or 60a middle and 50a side depending on type.

ive taken the light version of the chunk to colorado springs and in arkansas, both places have sharp rocks all over the place. i picked up two holes in CO. both times were my fault and ANY tire would have punctured.

ill take your word on the thinner sidewalls compared to the ranger, ive not owned one of those. that being said, to say they are not durable is untrue, especially considering your experiencing pinch flats.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Plus Tires For Sale:

SOLD Maxxis Minion DHF/DHR 120tpi, 27.5 x 2.8, complete set, very fresh, best offer plus $15 shipping.

Anyone?? WTB Ranger 27.5 x 2.8 TCS Tough, complete set, very fresh, best offer plus $15 shipping.

Send a PM.
    Last edited by Nurse Ben; 09-07-2017 at 02:43 PM.

mtbr member
    I have 27.5 2.8 Rekons on my Tallboy right now. They seem to be a pretty good all round set of tires. Is there a significant amount of gain in speed and less rolling drag gained by putting a 2.8 NN on the front, and a 2.8 RR on the rear? They would go on the stock RF 40's. I cant say I have any complaints on the Rekons, but am I missing something?

Jammin' Econo
    I'm running Rekons f/r on one of my bikes right now, and I'm pretty impressed. More traction than I expected from the looks of them, and they still roll pretty darn well. There are times I wish I had a little more traction up front, especially when cornering hard (though I'm used to a DHF), but all in all they are one of the best all-around plus tires I've used.

They are also light, but without the noticeable sidewall squirm, and sidewail frailty, that I've seen with other tires in the same weight range.
    "The only way we can truly control the outcome of a ride is not going on it, which is a choice I'm unwilling to make." -K.B.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bogeydog View Post
    I found the 2.6s are almost 1/2 shorter than 2.8s
    Do you mean 0.5 inches (13mm) shorter or 1/2 as tall, ie: 1.4" compared to 2.8"?

Do you mean height of the tire, vertically above the rim? Or Overal diameter of rim+ tire, or width?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by snowboarderVB View Post
    How does this tyres perform? Where do you ride usually?
    I put this tire on the rear of our bikes, because it is very tough for its weight (including the Apex pinch flat protection strip, so you can run lower pressures without bottoming out on the rim).

To get a similar level of durability in casing from most other brands you'd be looking at a much heavier tire.

The knobs are well spaced and decent sized, so they hook up for climbing and braking traction quite well, in a variety of surfaces. The Compound is firm, but not rock hard. I haven't tried them in wet, and wouldn't expect them to excel. But since that's rare for me, and they are on the rear, I chose better rolling resistance and lower wear.

Schwalbe has the best rolling resistance of any brands out there. so again, good choice for the rear.

The downfall of plus sized Nobby Nic's is the lack of cornering knobs, since 1/2 of the 'normal' cornering knobs become intermediate knobs on the plus tires.

This is why I don't like it as a front tire for agressive and higher speed riding.

In the rear, I don't mind as much. You have to be really leaning it over for this to become an issue, and even then, it's not like there are no knobs, there are simply about 1/2 as many as a 'normal' design, so it will slide a bit, but controlled.

I have been riding them in Park City, UT at Dear Valley bike park, both jump trails and steep technical trails, and on cross country trails with both smooth and rocky sections. In Big Sky, MT I rode them on both jump trails and steep technical trails in the bike park, as well as some XC.

So I have had them on hardpack, loose over hard, dust, solid rocks, loose rocks and a scree field. I am not the fastest rider, so if you are very strong and really load the bike for super cornering, and really lay it over for high speed corners, you might find the tire to slide more than you want, but for most riding and riding skills, a tiny bit of (controlled)rear slide, i.e. oversteer, is actually nice.

Braking and climbing traction has been great.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Could you put a caption above each picture telling us which tire model and size and rims(size) they are?

Thanks!

Co Springs
    Quote Originally Posted by Negotiator50 View Post
    Where did you get the RR for $48? I want to buy a set.
    Oops, missed your question-

The RR tire I got retails at $80- something ea , got it for $48 @ chainreaction.
    If they were $48 a pair I'd have picked up a bunch. Now I"m thinking of the 3.0 front and going lesser on the rear when it's time to swap out worn knobs.
    In the Middle Ages, the biggest mistake was not putting on your armor because you were 'just going down to the corner.'

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by phreeky View Post
    Durability wise (resistance to cuts in the tread area) I've found the NN and RR plus tyres terrible. Both I've had to patch from the inside, and I've lost count of how many in the RR.
    They're Snakeskin non-Apex versions.

I normally run Maxxis Exo tyres and I've only ever had one puncture in them, so I don't consider myself some sort of tyre-destroying hard charger.

FYI I had a DHF 2.6, RR 2.6 and NN 2.6 mounted side-by-side and the burlier casing of the DHF can be felt by hand.
    Interesting, in lab tests the Snakeskin tires (Schwalbe) usually come out better than the EXO tires (Maxxis) for puncture resistance.

Rocket Ron is a very light tire, so I could see that, but Nobby Nic should normally do quite well for a 'lighter weight' tire (ie not 'enduro casing' or similar)

Puncture test results from Bike Magazin (regular 650b x 2.3, not plus tires):

Schwalbe Nobby Nic Snakeskin 120 tpi: 133 N, 751g
    Maxxis Agressor EXO, Dual Compound 60 tpi: 121N, 848g
    Maxxis Forekaster EXO, Dual Compound 120 tpi: 106 N, 759g
    Specialized Purgatory Grid 60 tpi: 108 N, 832g.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Losvar View Post
    What are the grippiest tires for roots and rocks?
    Should have a decent casing that can take some hits too.
    Surly Dirt Wizard.

Soft Compound for grip on roots and rocks, decent spacing to get next to them and bombproof casing.
    Good volume allows lower pressures for more grip without pinch flatting.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by NH Mtbiker View Post
    What is meant by "too small"? Can you measure your 2.8 NN tire mounted to the rim with width and height?
    Mine are 70mm on a i38mm rim, at about 16 psi. 70mm is a 2.8 tire, so definitely not 'to small'. If you want bigger, get the 3.0.....

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by gpgalanis View Post
    After my first ride with the DHF 2.8 I am quite happy with them but I have to admit that they feel more like big regural tires and less like plus ones at least compared to my 3.0 NN mainly in terms of their floatation feeling over the roots, rocks etc. Also the bike looks more like a regural 27.5 instead of a 27.5+.
    I could not agree more with this statement. I went from 3.0 Vee Crown Gems to 2.8 DHF/DHR to 3.0 High Roller II's, and am very surprised at the difference between 3.0 & 2.8. 3.0 feels like Fatbike Jr, while 2.8 feels like a normal tire, just a bit bigger. My DHF/DHR only have about 200 miles on them, so I'm keeping them for future consideration, but at this point I'm definitely in the Fatbike Jr camp.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I've been saying for a long time now that 2.8 is the point where speed and fun converge. If you want maximum grip in loose conditions to go as fast as you can, 2.8 is the go. If you want a cushy, floaty ride with oodles of forgiving grip to make any trail fun, then 3.0 or bigger. Personally I like going fast so I'm in the 2.8 camp.

Still waiting on my Magic Mary from Jensen, that I paid for Kit 14th. I just fired them off a short stern email.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    After many more rides on the 2.8 I still have the same feeling. I miss the flotation feeling of the NN 3.0 but I enjoy the better grip of the DHF / DHR2 2.8. Personally I wouldn't mind a DHF / DHR2 3.0 option but I don't see this happening in the near future.

Here is a before and after photo with NN 3.0 vs DHF 2.8.

27.5+ Tires-2.8.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I can hardly believe it but I just received an email from Jenson saying that my 2.8 Magic Mary has been shipped. Little bit excited.

mtbr member
    I have found fast, fun, smooth and awesome rollover characteristics with a 29 X2.6 NN. Insain traction on crazy steep climbs too. Same size as most maxxis 2.8. I highly recommend those as a do it all tire if you can fit them!!!
    I've eaten through my rear 2.6 tire over the course of a heavy summer of riding. I haven't had any damage issues with those tires aside from pinholes the sealant instantly fills. My rocket Ron, on the other hand, dyed an ugly death on the fourth ride. Big puncture in the tread. I was the drift master with it on my rear, it made me nervous.
    I just ordered the Addixs 2.6 NN and will be installing the Huck Norris rim protectors in my rear tires. At 165 pounds I've been running my 2.6 rear tire at 13 PSI and it rolls like butter but I do hear a little rim spank about once every big ride. Usually if I mess up a landing onto a rocky patch. Oppsy!
    My Pony Rustler will except 27+ or 29 inch wheel sets so I bought an Addixs apex 3.0 as a rear tire for this winter. I'm hoping to run it in the single-digit psi range with the heavy casing for support and a rim protector just in case I get carried away. Winter has already arrived to the high peaks of the Colorado Rockies! Just a cameo appearance I hope.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 27.5+ Tires-img_6247.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Just wondering if anyone here run on Rekon+ on front and rear? Is it any good?
    Nobby Nics or Rekon+ for 100mm travel bike?
    Cheers

mtbr member
    They are both good, more volume in the NN. I did NN in front and recon+ rear last winter. I changed out the Recon+ to a NN 3.0 because reckons ramped nobs were not great climbing in the snow and I wanted max volume to raise my BB/reduce peddle strikes. More volume is always nice with less travel too.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by snowboarderVB View Post
    Just wondering if anyone here run on Rekon+ on front and rear? Is it any good?
    Nobby Nics or Rekon+ for 100mm travel bike?
    Cheers
    I'm running Rekon 2.8s front and rear on my Mojo 3 and love them. Plenty of grip, not much flotation compared to the 29x3.0 Chupacabras I was riding before on my Stache. But the Rekons lean much more predictably and IMO find the balance between wide and grippy, and predictability.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Anyone have any recent thoughts on the Vee Crown Gem plus tire (https://www.veetireco.com/listings/plus-size-crown-gem/) in 27.5 x 2.6, 2.8 and 3.0? Not a lot of reviews out there yet.

I'm interested in a moderately aggressive tire for rocky/sandy conditions in CO. Need to be pretty durable, but light enough for long uphills (I like to ride long singletrack ups with technical downs). These seem like a good option (also considering the Rekon, Purgatory GRID, and Terrene McFly). I like that the Vee Crown Gem is available in a full 3.0 - I've got the frame for it, so I want the meat.

Any comparisons or recent ride reports?

T1C
    mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Wow! Where is that?

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Karlewski - Ahh I see! So, Rekon+ is more of summer tyres insted of winter, muddy trails?

matt.s67 - Ah plenty of grips? Easy to ride anywhere? Even technical downhill trails, flowing trails? Ride well like all mountain bike?

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Received a 27.5x2.8 Magic Mary (Addix Soft) today from Universal Cycles. Weighs in at 1096 grams, which is 136 grams more than Schwalbe's stated 960 grams. The numbers on Schwalbe's website don't make sense; for example the 27.5x2.6 is stated to weigh more: 1000 grams. Still 1096g is not awful for a tire this burly.

27.5+ Tires-img_3483.jpg 27.5+ Tires-img_2340.jpg

mtbr member
    I have a NN 3.0 plain snake skin on the front and I just tested the new 3.0 NN APEX Addixs with a Huck Norris foam insert rim protector for a couple of rides on the rear at 12 PSI. The first ride in light rain on soft ground. I noticed the weight right away and got shut down on a few technical sections due to a lack of acceleration on steep rocks. I was bummed and spent the rest of my ride up thinking about how to get rid of the new tire. Then I turned to bike downhill and OMG. In the rain, half blind by wet glasses and I was ripp'n through wet roots and rocky sections with huge stability and mega break power. I started feeling better about the new tire.
    I road it for 3k vertical feet yesterday near Vail (Colorado trail near ski cooper) on a huge variety of trail and it felt much better. The last section of trail was a fairly steep dry river bed, constant rock gardens of basket balls and grapefruits. I dumped some air out of the rear tire, to ~10Psi. The weight was still there but getting reacquainted with the nuances of the bigger 27+ tires was key. I was riding my to 29er wheelset before this ride. Using the added compression/bounce was instrumental to unweighting/pogo sticking up over the unavoidable big chunks. Getting used to the the bounce and timing of fatter tires was definitely a "thing" for me. Although I hike a biked some I was pretty excited about the overall performance.
    Blasting back down was great. I was actually grateful for the heavier apex casing and rim protector at that point. Killing a tire and or rim out there would have been VERY unpleasant if I had to walk out, I guess the beast tire has its place and should be great winter training to build more explosive leg power plus, fixing a tire on the trail in freezing conditions is HELL.
    I was scared and held back considerably last weekend with old tires at 12000ft in snow and cold wind on technical terrain. I knew equipment failure would have likely meant abandoning the bike and being happy just to get home in one piece.
    With modern technology everything is a trade off...
    PS those MM look like the ULTIMATE gravity tire! Intended use? I'm a huge schwable fan!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Picked up a pair of the Vee Crown Gems in 27.5x3.0, in the Synthesis sidewall for the very reasonable price of $56 each from Universal Cycles. They look quite nice, and the synthesis sidewall does look pretty sweet, being a bit more interesting than a black sidewall, without going all the way to skinwall.

MFG Page: https://www.veetireco.com/listings/plus-size-crown-gem/

German review (that I picked because the photos of the Synthesis sidewall and knob configuration are better than what I would take for you):
    VEE TIRE Crown Gem 27,5×3,0 – Testintro

I haven't mounted them yet, but will be putting them on a pair of Bontrager Line Pro 40s (41mm internal).

They weighed in a little heavier than anticipated - Vee says 990g for this size, but mine came in at 1005g and 1045g - 1.5% and 5.5% higher. Not outrageous, but someday it would be nice to get a tire that actually weighed a bit less than the MFG claim.

They seem like a nice profile with good center lugs, enough side lugs to give me something to grab (my current complaint about the Specialized Ground Controls I'm riding), but without getting to full DH monster (like that Magic Mary). Hopefully they use that extra weight for durability (I've already put one pinch flat on my Ground Controls, repaired with a patch on the inside of the tire) - the trails here in northern CO are quite rocky and sharp.

Given their weight, and the fact that they seem to run large, I'm now wondering if I shouldn't have gotten the 2.8... But what the heck, we've got a plus frame, so let's ride plus tires.

mtbr member
    I read somewhere on here they were very good in the snow. I'm interested to hear how they do. I could not find any good reviews either...

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by codysoyland View Post
    Received a 27.5x2.8 Magic Mary (Addix Soft) today from Universal Cycles. Weighs in at 1096 grams, which is 136 grams more than Schwalbe's stated 960 grams. The numbers on Schwalbe's website don't make sense; for example the 27.5x2.6 is stated to weigh more: 1000 grams. Still 1096g is not awful for a tire this burly.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3483.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	55.7 KB 
ID:	1159797 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2340.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	108.6 KB 
ID:	1159796
    Any measurements?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I recently purchased a 2017 specialized with 3.0 purgatory tires. I like the tires but the ride is a little stiff. I understand specialized has increased the sidewall stiffness for people that run lower pressure. I don’t run the lower pressure and don’t ride hard anymore... rode hard 20 years ago...im 50+, now looking for ride comfort. Looking for 27.5x 3.0 tire recommendations there are not as stiff.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    what pressures are you running in the tires currently? Perhaps what you have can be tuned before moving on to different options. Wider tires tend to work best with lower pressures due to the volume the tire provides. Even if the Purgatory indeed has a stiffer sidewall, its still plenty flexible.

adjusting the tire pressure to your body weight should help a great deal.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by MTB9488 View Post
    I recently purchased a 2017 specialized with 3.0 purgatory tires. I like the tires but the ride is a little stiff. I understand specialized has increased the sidewall stiffness for people that run lower pressure. I don’t run the lower pressure and don’t ride hard anymore... rode hard 20 years ago...im 50+, now looking for ride comfort. Looking for 27.5x 3.0 tire recommendations there are not as stiff.
    I've got the same tires with the GRID sidewall, and typically run them 14psi front, 18psi rear, and don't notice any harshness in the ride. Mine are mounted up to Nobl TR45 rims on an Intense ACV.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by carbine_275 View Post
    I've got the same tires with the GRID sidewall, and typically run them 14psi front, 18psi rear, and don't notice any harshness in the ride. Mine are mounted up to Nobl TR45 rims on an Intense ACV.
    I have tried tire pressure from 9 to 16. In the past I had WTB ranger and chupacabra I liked the ride quality, but definitely not the greatest in traction.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Jukis View Post
    Any measurements?
    And pics of it mounted? Diagonal and straight across the top (showing the profile)?

Given Schwalbe's history of not adapting treads to wider casing sizes (ie Nobby Nic), I'd really like to see it before replacing omg current tires with it.

BTW, I saw listed weight as 1050g, so that's a bit closer to what you've got there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MTB9488 View Post
    I recently purchased a 2017 specialized with 3.0 purgatory tires.
    I also bought the same "Specialized" bike with 3.0 Purgatory/3.0 Ground Control tires this year and cannot find an optimal air pressure. Below 15psi the bike feels plush but also unprecise/squirmy, above 15psi the tire starts to bounce off obstacles and grip advantage seems to be gone

My recommendation: Burn that bike

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Steel Calf View Post
    I also bought the same "Specialized" bike with 3.0 Purgatory/3.0 Ground Control tires this year and cannot find an optimal air pressure. Below 15psi the bike feels plush but also unprecise/squirmy, above 15psi the tire starts to bounce off obstacles and grip advantage seems to be gone

My recommendation: Burn that bike
    I have a 2017 6 Fattie and I'm 215lb in my riding gear. I ended up at 18lb in the front and 20lb in the rear on almost every trail I ride. Any more than that I bounce around and less than that I get squirm.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by codysoyland View Post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3483.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	55.7 KB 
ID:	1159797 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2340.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	108.6 KB 
ID:	1159796
    God dammit. I ordered mine from Jensen 3 months ago now and it still hasn't arrived.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Finally received my 2.8 Magic Mary! It fits in my standard 27.5 pike juuuuust at 40psi, a little bigger at the lugs than the Nobby Nic as expected. Wouldn't work if you ride in mud.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Anyone running Maxxis 2.8's on 35mm ID rims? Any positive or negative feedback?

Jammin' Econo
    Quote Originally Posted by DevinciSean View Post
    Anyone running Maxxis 2.8's on 35mm ID rims? Any positive or negative feedback?
    Yup - DHF/DHRII on i35s. They work great.
    "The only way we can truly control the outcome of a ride is not going on it, which is a choice I'm unwilling to make." -K.B.

mtbr member
    I've got a crazy new idea and I'm looking for opinions, suggestions, warnings and advice. I have to admit firstly that I am somewhat of a tire junkie.
    Recently, I purchased a new Intense Primer and was chatting with the salesman about other exciting developments in the bike in the world! He said the Vittoria tires with the new graphine chemistry were the best thing going. After doing my own research they do sound very promising.
    Vittoria should have the new Mescale 29 X 2.6 available by spring. Sounds like a great tire for XC and light trail use as a back tire but, not for a front tire. 2.6 NN could do pretty well there but, it sure would be cool to put a 2.8 x 29 up front if there was such a thing, and it could actually fit in my forks.
    So here is my half baked plan, I could slap the 2.8 Vittoria Morosa on the front in the 27.5 flavor since I have those rims/wheels too. I am well aware that this will alter my geometry and steepen my head tube. I could increase my forks travel by 10 or 20 mm to counter that affect. But I've also ridden motorcross for years and even the current motorcycle in my garage has a larger diameter front tire then back tire. Going really fast through big rocks on the motorcross bike demands great front tire roll over characteristics for control. Would my mountain bike suffer with this setup? The Morsa front tire is really light too. I think it would climb great since I pick my front tire up over all the big chunks anyway.
    Generally speaking motorcross bikes have a wider rear tire then front tire, we never do that on our mountain bikes since the engine is so much smaller. Did I just find a new great breakthrough! Probably not, what do you think? Is adding volume/traction and dropping weight up front like this a viable move toward improved overall performance?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Anybody ridden the 45NORTH 3.0 or 4.6 Wrathchild unstudded on dirt who can share a review? thanks...
    hellboy

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Good news for ice riders schwalbe ice spiker pro now available in 27.5+ 2.60. Good to have another choice apart from the 3.0 nokian fat freddies. Anymore 27.5+ studded tyres in the horizon? I am discounting 45nrth because of the crazy prices.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by ideate View Post
    I have 45mm Dartmoor Aircraft, wtb i40 and Hope 35W's and find 40mm seems prefect for 2.8 Minions.
    Are those the 2.8 super moto x? How do they roll? Been thinking about throwing some on as they’re often on sale but worried they’ll be heavy and slow

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by jayvee View Post
    Are those the 2.8 super moto x? How do they roll? Been thinking about throwing some on as they’re often on sale but worried they’ll be heavy and slow
    They're actually pretty good. They're not like Hookworms if you've ever had those before. These actually feel lighter! Welcome to try mine if you're local. They are FAT though so if they're running lower psi's they get a bit sluggish. But all tyres do I suppose.

Where on sale? I've bought many but all have been pretty expensive at about $70.

Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
    Anybody put a set of calipers on a 275x3.8 Hodag installed on 35mm rims?

I know it's about 3.5" (87-89mm) on a 45mm rim once stretched. I know it can grow as big as 92mm on a 50mm rim.

What I'm unsure about is how wacky this tire will get on more versatile rims in 35mm internal width range.
    GIS/GPS Pro using ArcFM for Utility Mapping - Always willing to connect with other MTBers in the industry.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    After a few days to stretch the 2.8 Magic Mary measures at 2.7" wide at the casing and 2.75" wide at the outer lugs on my 30mm internal rims. I'd say bang on 2.8" on proper 35mm internal rims. Really pushing the boundaries of clearance with my standard Pike sue to the lug height, fortunately this will get better with a bit of wear.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by GRPABT1 View Post
    After a few days to stretch the 2.8 Magic Mary measures at 2.7" wide at the casing and 2.75" wide at the outer lugs on my 30mm internal rims. I'd say bang on 2.8" on proper 35mm internal rims. Really pushing the boundaries of clearance with my standard Pike sue to the lug height, fortunately this will get better with a bit of wear.
    Need pictures of them mounted!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    quick ?... are the new crop of 27.5/2.6 tires considered + tires. I'm looking to build a winter set for my 29er and I would like to keep the bottom bracket height close to the same. I'm not a huge fan of tires bigger then this, thanks in advance as I haven't seen any info on this

I have Flat Pedal shame.
    Nov 2011
    Did a quick read through and didn't see anything about the Specialized Butcher 2.8's? Side by side comparison of the knobs makes the Minion DHF look tiny, and makes my Purgatory 3.0's look like semi-slicks. Super chunky tread pattern looks almost like a dirt bike tire.
    We don't ride to add days to our life, we ride to add life to the days we have left here.

mtbr member
    dbnickles
    Going from a 2.4 x29er to a 3"x 27.5 drops the BB roughly 1/4". Personally, going from any 29" wheel/tire to even a 2.8" in 27.5 rim yields me many more peddle strikes when the going gets rough.
    I'd say your best bet would be a 2.6" on a 29er rim if you can fit that in your frame. You would actually gain tad of BB height and also have a bigger contact patch. The nobby nick is the only one out right now I know of but vittora (mescal) and maxxis (recon) have both said they are about to come out with some 2.6" this spring.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Just put on Rocket Ron's 3.0 on 45mm internal / 52mm outer nextie rims. Rolling resistance was great, but I felt that the front was washing out a little too much for my liking. I had previously tried Nobby Nicks on the front but felt too bogged down. Any suggestions for a 3.0 tire with knobs between those of RR and NN that would be good for the front?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Negotiator50 View Post
    Just put on Rocket Ron's 3.0 on 45mm internal / 52mm outer nextie rims. Rolling resistance was great, but I felt that the front was washing out a little too much for my liking. I had previously tried Nobby Nicks on the front but felt too bogged down. Any suggestions for a 3.0 tire with knobs between those of RR and NN that would be good for the front?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    The Specialized Purgatories work great for our conditions. Hard pack and loose over hard pack. Round and sharp rocks. Not good in mud, but our mud will usually pack up and bring you to a halt very quickly.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by WMBigs View Post
    The Specialized Purgatories work great for our conditions. Hard pack and loose over hard pack. Round and sharp rocks. Not good in mud, but our mud will usually pack up and bring you to a halt very quickly.
    I'll second that - running Purgatory Grids f/r on Nobl TR45 rims on my ACV. They seem to roll very well, and aren't too heavy considering their volume.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Thought I'd share, Merlin's has 3.0 NNs for $33...just picked up a pair. These will be my first plus tires ever, and they seem to be a popular choice so I hopefully they work out for me!
    Patrick

Co Springs
    Quote Originally Posted by pjames12 View Post
    Thought I'd share, Merlin's has 3.0 NNs for $33...just picked up a pair. These will be my first plus tires ever, and they seem to be a popular choice so I hopefully they work out for me!
    3.0 N.Nics came on my h/t and is a good all round tire for my riding area. Nothing extreme or fast, just bumping around on the trails and impressive stiction on roots, upper climbs with loose surface, and smooth riding on a h/t set up in my case- love the ride. I like the look of the Rocket Ron and found a nice price so that's on the shelf for rear replacement after I run it down. It'll be RR rear NN front.
    In the Middle Ages, the biggest mistake was not putting on your armor because you were 'just going down to the corner.'

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Thanks I am in Sweden so doubt you are close by 😁

This thread gave me doubts, but I’d still like the try em. Schwalbe Super Moto X 2.8

They seem to be on sale on a few euro sites, if you’re in the US shipping will probably be too high. But here’s a link anyway https://www.bike24.com/p2101819.html

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Has anyone expierence with Spec Purgatory 3.0" Grid up rear? Want it for technical up- and downhill _and_ some (steep) miles on fire roads.
    What pressure?
    Thanx.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

WTB ranger tires

Shoot me an email at buballez@icloud.com if your tires are still for sale.

Thanks

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    Plus Tires For Sale:

SOLD Maxxis Minion DHF/DHR 120tpi, 27.5 x 2.8, complete set, very fresh, best offer plus $15 shipping.

Anyone?? WTB Ranger 27.5 x 2.8 TCS Tough, complete set, very fresh, best offer plus $15 shipping.

Send a PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Curious what everyone’s views are on the new Magic Mary’s and Forekasters

I have run 3.0, 2.8, and now will never run anything but 2.6 again. It is literally the greatest thing I have found in yrs on my bike. Rolls fast, crazy grip, lightweight, and I have less tubeless burps and sidewall roll on fast tight corners.

Currently running rekon+ 2.6’s and find them super grippy with fast roll and only like 720 weight. They have held up well to all the rock gardens I can throw at them even with the 120 casings.

I loved my rocket Rocket Ron’s but they don’t make enough sealant to fix the constant schwalbe leaks.

Chupacabra 2.8’s roll fast but offer next to no traction.

Ikon’s were nice, but I liked Rekon+ way better.

Let me know everyone’s thoughts on Magic Mary’s and Forekasters

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by quite.right View Post
    Has anyone expierence with Spec Purgatory 3.0" Grid up rear? Want it for technical up- and downhill _and_ some (steep) miles on fire roads.
    What pressure?
    Yep. Running the Spec Purg 3" on the rear and have been for the last 2 years in the Seattle area of PNW. I'm about 210# with gear and run about 15 -16 psi. I'm happy with the tire here even through the winter, and we do a lot of climbing around here. I did upgrade the front to a High Roller II, which seems to have more grip and less washout in the dry stuff.

Jammin' Econo
    Love my DHF/Rekon combo - please Maxxis, make these in a real 2.8" tire!

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by I hate tree gates View Post

I have run 3.0, 2.8, and now will never run anything but 2.6 again. It is literally the greatest thing I have found in yrs on my bike. Rolls fast, crazy grip, lightweight, and I have less tubeless burps and sidewall roll on fast tight corners.

Currently running rekon+ 2.6’s and find them super grippy with fast roll and only like 720 weight. They have held up well to all the rock gardens I can throw at them even with the 120 casings.

I loved my rocket Rocket Ron’s but they don’t make enough sealant to fix the constant schwalbe leaks.

Sounds to me like you wouldn't like the Mary if you prefer those light fast rolling tyres.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by I hate tree gates View Post

What size rim are you running 2.6 reKons on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    I am running these...
    Kitsuma 27.5 Carbon Fiber Mountain Wheels | Nox Composites

42mm external and 36mm internal. I broke/bent beyond repair 2 hoops before I went carbon. Makes all the difference in the world on plus. I lost nearly 1.5lbs rotating weight switching the hoops alone to carbon. Makes the bike feel so much more snappy and playful and after a yr of all the abuse I can throw at them they are still perfect. They have lifetime warranty also and were lighter at the time than the compatible enve’s at nearly half the price.

Can’t speak highly enough of this wheel.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Been riding with the new 2.8 Magic Mary up front for 6 rides now and I love it. Seriously don't know why they took so long to release this tyre, I couldn't ask more from a chunk of rubber honestly. It's has grip all the way at maximum lean angles but still predictable everywhere in between, no vague spot like I noticed on the 2.8 Minion DHF. Thank you Schwalbe.

aka: Bucky Fikes
    You guys running Magic Mary's up front. What are you running in back. I like my NoNi 3.0's on the 6Fiddie Plus for most all my riding but want/need a more rocky gnar downhill friendly tires to put on my 29'r wheelset for those occasions when I hit the DH style trails locally. The NoNi sidewalls just get eaten up on that network of trails. Is running a MM front and back typical or is there something better suited for the rear. Minions are the preferred tire by most regulars, I'm sort of hoping to keep it in the Schwabe family if possible. A 29x2.6 would be my desire but I'm not seeing them in the MM's yet.
    Always ride with a purpose.

mtbr member

Schwalbe Magic Mary Addix Speedgrip 2.8

With winter coming i just swapped out NN 2.8 for Magic Mary Speedgrip 2.8. It weighs in at 1049g and i'm running 14psi. First long ride with it today and the grip is mind blowing, but i guess you'd kind of expect this. The bigger revelation is the rolling speed, very little noticeable drag and not much harder to pedal with than the NN it replaced. See how it performs after few more rides in different conditions, but if it carries on like this i could see it staying on all year round
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 27.5+ Tires-img_3371.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    More photos please and also actual dimensions if possible.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    27.5+ Tires-mvimg_20171107_181428.jpg27.5+ Tires-mvimg_20171107_181509_exported_4928903153964964505.jpg

Pics of my 2.8 magic Mary in my (slightly sanded for clearance) standard 27.5 non boost pike. Mounted to 30mm internal Zelvy rims.

I have this paired with a WTB Breakout 2.5 and it's a great combo, love these tyres.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gpgalanis View Post
    More photos please and also actual dimensions if possible.

Measurements on 35mm (internal) Derby rims:

- Magic Mary 2.8 speedgrip - 73mm/ 2.85" Wide & 28.75"/730mm Wheel
    Diameter
    - Nobby Nic 2.8 Trailstar - Identical to MM

The Nobby Nic 2.8 has stretched a bit and is 0.05" wider than when i first fitted it about 2 months ago, so i expect the MM will probably do the same.

I've ridden with the MM and NN combo a couple more times since my last post in considerably muddier conditions and i'm still just as impressed. Up until now i've been unconvinced by 2.8s in muddy conditions, but the MM works really well cutting through, finding grip and clearing too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 27.5+ Tires-evil-mb-magic-mary-nobby-nic-2.8_1.jpg  

27.5+ Tires-evil-mb-magic-mary-nobby-nic-2.8_2.jpg  

27.5+ Tires-evil-mb-magic-mary-nobby-nic-2.8_3.jpg  

27.5+ Tires-evil-mb-magic-mary-nobby-nic-2.8_4.jpg  

27.5+ Tires-evil-mb-magic-mary-nobby-nic-2.8_8.jpg  

27.5+ Tires-evil-mb-magic-mary-nobby-nic-2.8_10.jpg  

Last edited by teknorob; 1 Week Ago at 01:18 PM.

mtbr member
    0.5" wider? You sure about that?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeny View Post
    0.5" wider? You sure about that?
    yes sorry missed a zero meant 0.05

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by teknorob View Post
    yes sorry missed a zero meant 0.05
    Is your Pike a boost version. Do you think it will fit in a standard non boost 29er Pike?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by boblike View Post
    Is your Pike a boost version. Do you think it will fit in a standard non boost 29er Pike?
    yes it its 29er boost but there's loads of clearance either side so a non boost fork should be fine

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by PHeller View Post
    Anybody put a set of calipers on a 275x3.8 Hodag installed on 35mm rims?

I know it's about 3.5" (87-89mm) on a 45mm rim once stretched. I know it can grow as big as 92mm on a 50mm rim.

What I'm unsure about is how wacky this tire will get on more versatile rims in 35mm internal width range.
    Interested in this as well... For a friend.

Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 121819202122