Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021 LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,900 of 2006

Thread: 27.5+ Tires

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Has anyone tried Specialized's Butcher or Slaughter 2.8s and can give some feedback?

I'm Currently rolling mojo 3 on 741s with 2.8 DHF and DHRs and while im enjoying the added traction when going downhill, on the other hand I can definitely notice the added rolling resistance on the climbs. Trying to find a happy medium traction/rolling resistance/durability. (looking for a unicorn really i know)

I enjoyed the 2.8 nobby nics, no complaints on traction or rolling resistance but went through 2 or 3 last year which was a bummer, any real world reports on the new apex reinforcement?

I tried the rekons in the dual compound and wasnt a fan, preferred the nobby nics over rekons. Maybe 3c will make a big difference with rekons?

Few setups im debating over and hoepfully will be able to try all at some point: DHF and rekon 3c, Rekon 3c F/R, Butcher F/R (can anyone comment on butcher rolling resistance compared to DHF/DHR), Butcher/Slaughter, and lastly the apex nobby nics.

aka bOb
    I had a Butcher 2.8 for awhile, not much difference than the DHF but slightly narrower and 100+ grams heavier than the Maxxis. Can't comment on the RR difference as I don't have any time on the DHF yet but it rolled fine with the Rekon in the back.

dontcha?
    Running 2.8 Butcher/Slaughter on my Big Honzo, traction is much better than the Nobby Nics that came with the Big Honzo(bike did come with the performance line of Nobby Nics, so the crappier version). Casing is much stiffer and I haven't been getting any squirming that I was getting with the NN(I'm a big guy, so worth noting). Seems to roll better, but I've only had 1 ride on them and still dialing in the pressure. I run the same combo in 27.5 x 2.3 on my full suspension bike and I love it, I expected the slaughter to be much more sketchy, not the case, I only found that it didn't have enough braking in some steep bike park terrain situations. Wear has been good also, I went thru Hans Dampfs is a really short amount of time, this combo is def. outlasting the Hans Dampfs I had in the past. The price is hard to beat also.
    "The future belongs to those that believe in the beauty of their dreams."

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by nyrangerfan222 View Post
    Has anyone tried Specialized's Butcher or Slaughter 2.8s and can give some feedback?

I'm Currently rolling mojo 3 on 741s with 2.8 DHF and DHRs and while im enjoying the added traction when going downhill, on the other hand I can definitely notice the added rolling resistance on the climbs. Trying to find a happy medium traction/rolling resistance/durability. (looking for a unicorn really i know)

I enjoyed the 2.8 nobby nics, no complaints on traction or rolling resistance but went through 2 or 3 last year which was a bummer, any real world reports on the new apex reinforcement?

I tried the rekons in the dual compound and wasnt a fan, preferred the nobby nics over rekons. Maybe 3c will make a big difference with rekons?

Few setups im debating over and hoepfully will be able to try all at some point: DHF and rekon 3c, Rekon 3c F/R, Butcher F/R (can anyone comment on butcher rolling resistance compared to DHF/DHR), Butcher/Slaughter, and lastly the apex nobby nics.
    What exactly didn't you like about the Rekon DC's? I ask because I literally have the same tires that you did (as in I bought my Rekons used from him) and I love these tires. I find them to be very supportive yet they conform well to roots and such. I think they roll well and have a very predictable grip. Maybe you just broke them in for me?

I also got a good deal on a set of DHF 3C's that I have on right now for the winter and they are a stiff tire and very grippy. I agree that they also roll a bit slower than the Rekon and are super sticky on the climbs. Oddly though one of the DHF's is a 3C Max Terra and the other is a 3C Max Speed which I didn't think they made and I wonder how much affect that has on perceived rolling resistance.

I do agree that I feel a 3C Rekon would probably make a better front tire though. That may be my only complaint is that when I do find the limit of traction on the Rekon (pretty rare for me but has happened) the front and the rear seem to break at the same time. I'd prefer to have the front stick better and have the rear drift out first. For that reason as well as for wear I will continue to run a 3C front and DC rear.

After winter/early spring is over I will definitely be running DHF front and put a Rekon DC back onto the rear. If we have another dry summer like last I will probably go with Rekon 3C front and DC back or maybe throw one of the Ranger's I still have back onto the rear with a Rekon front.

Another combo you might consider is a DHRII front and Rekon rear. I thought I read in another thread someone commenting on the fact they thought the DHR rolled better than the DHF but gave up just a bit in traction.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by StumpyandhisBike View Post
    What exactly didn't you like about the Rekon DC's? I ask because I literally have the same tires that you did (as in I bought my Rekons used from him) and I love these tires. I find them to be very supportive yet they conform well to roots and such. I think they roll well and have a very predictable grip. Maybe you just broke them in for me?

I also got a good deal on a set of DHF 3C's that I have on right now for the winter and they are a stiff tire and very grippy. I agree that they also roll a bit slower than the Rekon and are super sticky on the climbs. Oddly though one of the DHF's is a 3C Max Terra and the other is a 3C Max Speed which I didn't think they made and I wonder how much affect that has on perceived rolling resistance.

I do agree that I feel a 3C Rekon would probably make a better front tire though. That may be my only complaint is that when I do find the limit of traction on the Rekon (pretty rare for me but has happened) the front and the rear seem to break at the same time. I'd prefer to have the front stick better and have the rear drift out first. For that reason as well as for wear I will continue to run a 3C front and DC rear.
    I wasn't a fan of DC rekon up front, I felt it washed out a lot more than the nobby nic I was using before it. I also needed to run more pressure than the nic, it was smaller than the nic as well. Didn't notice any pro or con as a rear over the nic, again just needed to run more pressure in it. I didn't run them for long, perhaps gave up on them too early. Did feel I was having a hard time finding the perfect pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2015

Consider the 2.5 WTB Breakout on the rear. Rolls better than a minion, lasts for ages in the hard compound, very strong casing and grip on turns and braking I put on par with a minion. It's a big 2.5 and almost as big as a 2.8 minion.

mtbr member
    May 2012

I have one ride on a set of Butcher 2.8 grids. They measure small, around 2.65-2.7" depending on rim width (I tried i35 and i45 rims, will be building a set of i40s for this tire soon). DHFs were closer to 2.75". Weigh 1074g and 1076g, so 100g heavier than my previous pair of DHF 2.8 3c tires.

The rubber is much tackier and overall grip noticeably than 3c Max Terra DHF. I'd say they even have more grip than my previous favorite, the Dirt Wizard. East coast rock crawling is the terrain I ride most frequently.

The side knobs are starting to show indications of tearing after only one ride though. We'll see. The DHF knobs were solid and wore nicely, no tearing.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by GRPABT1 View Post
    Consider the 2.5 WTB Breakout on the rear. Rolls better than a minion, lasts for ages in the hard compound, very strong casing and grip on turns and braking I put on par with a minion. It's a big 2.5 and almost as big as a 2.8 minion.
    Loved the 2.3 breakouts. Wondering when WTB is going to step their game up and give some more plus options. 2.8 breakout would be awesome. I would also love a bontrager xr4 in 2.8.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by majr View Post
    I have one ride on a set of Butcher 2.8 grids. They measure small, around 2.65-2.7" depending on rim width (I tried i35 and i45 rims, will be building a set of i40s for this tire soon). DHFs were closer to 2.75". Weigh 1074g and 1076g, so 100g heavier than my previous pair of DHF 2.8 3c tires.

The rubber is much tackier and overall grip noticeably than 3c Max Terra DHF. I'd say they even have more grip than my previous favorite, the Dirt Wizard. East coast rock crawling is the terrain I ride most frequently.

The side knobs are starting to show indications of tearing after only one ride though. We'll see. The DHF knobs were solid and wore nicely, no tearing.
    Wow so smaller, heavier and grippier. I'm looking for a bit of a faster setup than current DHF and DHR, so it looks like a butcher f and r is out of the picture. Perhaps i should just man up and drag these minions around.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Have a pair of Terrene Chunk 3.0's bought off of eBay for 100.00, they look aggressive and have sidewall durability. Not much out there yet on them, anyone out there running them yet? Took a chance since price was good, been looking for another durable tire choice besides the Dirt Wizard which is a superb tire overall but of course always in the market for alternative choices.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by techfersure View Post
    Have a pair of Terrene Chunk 3.0's bought off of eBay for 100.00, they look aggressive and have sidewall durability. Not much out there yet on them, anyone out there running them yet? Took a chance since price was good, been looking for another durable tire choice besides the Dirt Wizard which is a superb tire overall but of course always in the market for alternative choices.
    Don't have any experience with them, but they really remind me of the tread design of the WTB Stout.

Name:  wtb_stout_07_m.jpg
Views: 1866
Size:  21.1 KB

Great grip, cleared mud real well, but definitely one slow-rolling tire.

You'll have to report your experiences...
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I currently have a specialized Fatboy and recently upgraded to the 27.5 duroc 40mm (36mm inner)with WTB Ranger 2.8 (measures 2.6) I definitely want to go bigger preferably something that might truly measure 3 inches on my current rims. Would a wider tire 3.0 or bigger on a 40mm (36 inner) be a good combination or a 50mm rim if i want a more suspension/plush ride.

mtbr member
    A 3.0" wide tire will provide about 25% more volume and cushion than a 2.8" tire.
    It will also be about 1/4" taller have a larger footprint for more traction.

Specialized Ground Control and Purgatory 27.5" x 3.0 tires on my 38mm inner width rims are 2.8" wide at the casing and 3.0" wide at the knobs. I've also run them on 32mm inner width rims where they are about 0.1" narrower. They'd be fine on your 36mm inner width rims. 50mm seems a bit wide for a 3.0 tire.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Can anyone point me in the right direction? I have no idea where to start with 27.5+ tires.

I'm looking for some good value, tubeless ready tires for my Salsa Timberjack. 2.8-3" is fine. Just want something well-rounded for Wisconsin tight, technical trails. Lots of roots and rocks, not much climbing. Weight isn't a big issue, just want something durable and cost-efficient.

Thanks MTBros

gone walk about
    Quote Originally Posted by mk.ultra View Post
    Can anyone point me in the right direction? I have no idea where to start with 27.5+ tires.

I'm looking for some good value, tubeless ready tires for my Salsa Timberjack. 2.8-3" is fine. Just want something well-rounded for Wisconsin tight, technical trails. Lots of roots and rocks, not much climbing. Weight isn't a big issue, just want something durable and cost-efficient.

Thanks MTBros
    within this thread are copious amounts of info with what you seek friend, it just takes some reading. There's other threads within the PLUS sub forum that could be plenty of help too.
    "ORANGE IS THE NEW BLACK"

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mk.ultra View Post

Thanks MTBros
    I live in the rockies and have great luck with specialized tires. Check out the Purgatory Grids. They seat with floor pump, 60$, and have held up pretty well in my area. Great for loose over hardpack and roll fairly quick for my tastes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I think that the Nobby Nic is a good all around tire.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    +1, NN is not bad at all, I have used them in 2.35, 2.8 and 2.6.. You can see the NN 2.8 it here on my Smuggler, end of this video. I did run it on snow and frozen ground mostly and it held it's own against fat bikes. I have a Ranger 2.8 in the Rear as the NN would touch the chainstays:
    https://youtu.be/jwzE084uHOo
    2016 Transition Smuggler
    2016 TREK Fuel EX 9

mtbr member
    I am in the process of building up some 27.5+ wheels for my Mukluk, and want to stay as close to 3.0 as possible. Seems to me that my main choices are going to be WTB Ranger/TB, Duro Crux/Miner, Spec Purg, and Schwalbe RR 3.0's. I can go to VTF if I want to go 3.25, not sure that I want to do that.

Of the 3.0 selections, which do you think would be best for fast rolling/light weight. I already have 4.0 fattys for when conditions dictate grip/float, etc. These would be mainly summer trail compound tires.

Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I have the RR 3.0s and they are crazy fast and very light weight. I am in the Midwest so more round rock and roots than sharp stuff but they have been great.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by baltobrewer View Post
    I am in the process of building up some 27.5+ wheels for my Mukluk, and want to stay as close to 3.0 as possible. Seems to me that my main choices are going to be WTB Ranger/TB, Duro Crux/Miner, Spec Purg, and Schwalbe RR 3.0's. I can go to VTF if I want to go 3.25, not sure that I want to do that.

Of the 3.0 selections, which do you think would be best for fast rolling/light weight. I already have 4.0 fattys for when conditions dictate grip/float, etc. These would be mainly summer trail compound tires.

Thoughts?
    You have some good choices there. I can vouch for the Purgs. Nice sidewall, decent volume, corners well, and rolls fast. I also like the Schwalbe RR. While I didn't end up buying them, I have heard good things from fellow riders. I just set up a pair of NN 3.0 and find them to have great attributes. They have excellent grip, nice round profile and roll super fast. They are not as wide a profile as the Purgs though....

I just ordered a set of V-fatty's in 3.25, they should be here next week. I can't wait to try those for the remainder of the winter.

Hope you can find some more feedback.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I just put a Surly Dirt Wizard on the front of my stumpjumper 6fattie. It is a tad shorter than the stock front ground control but feels great. The traction on turning has greatly increased and I don't have the swishy washout feel that I got before. So far I am digging it. Using it in the southwest so dry, rocky, loose, sand, etc..

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by lvkid89 View Post
    I just put a Surly Dirt Wizard on the front of my stumpjumper 6fattie. It is a tad shorter than the stock front ground control but feels great. The traction on turning has greatly increased and I don't have the swishy washout feel that I got before. So far I am digging it. Using it in the southwest so dry, rocky, loose, sand, etc..
    Dirt Wizard rear,Terrene Chunk now my favorite front tire!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 27.5+ Tires-20170217_080024.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Nice tires. Did you get the light or tough version for chunks?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by stumpynerd View Post
    Nice tires. Did you get the light or tough version for chunks?
    Tough,needed where I ride!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I will have to consider those tires next season. I just ordered another set of purg grids.

Hows rolling resistance on those chunks. With the square lugs kinda looks like they might roll a tad slow.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    On front not so bad,and very confidence inspiring when pushed hard into turns. Would not use for rear.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Which of the two is more aggressive?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by gpgalanis View Post
    Which of the two is more aggressive?
    Terrene it seems to me,for all of the extreme conditions we have here in Eastern Pa,grips everything!
    Last edited by techfersure; 02-22-2017 at 03:43 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    All
    Newbie here but curious Your judgement and advice.

Planning to converst my 29 Prime to 27+. Already ordered 45int rims and wondering if pick 2.8 or 3.0 Nobby Nic - anyone can share the real with of such setups ?
    Secondly - whenever size of NoNic i'll choose it would be front one - can You advice also if rear should also be the Nic or maybe RoRo (also 27+) for lower rolling resistance would suit better.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Looks like a dope setup! I will have to give that Chunk a try next.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    im still waiting on a review for the HR2 27.5x3.0. its been ''announced" for a bit now and on maxxis's website for quite a while. i will most likely buy these tires so long as they measure something close to 3". from what ive gathered, the HR2 2.8 seems to measure up just fine after a few rides.

mtbr member
    has anyone actually got one that isnt pre-prod?

Waldmeister
    Hey there,

I do not have any experience with 27,5 plus and am wondering how they behave long-term when ridden tubeless. My experience with "conventional" size tires with ProCore and low air pressure is that slowly but steady the sidewalls get "walked through" and the tires will sweat over after time.

How are the plus tires with regards to sweating? My understanding is that they are designed to be even lighter, so in my imagination we are all buying tubeless milk stock now or what?

What are the experiences here?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    IMTB

Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
    How low of pressures are we talking?
    GIS/GPS Pro using ArcFM for Utility Mapping - Always willing to connect with other MTBers in the industry.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    It's a possibility. I bought a used set of WTB Trail Bosses a while back and they seeped Stan's through what looked like little slits all the way around each side of both tires. Could be an issue with the Stan's also. There's a few threads about that. I switched to Orange Seal with a new set of Duro Miners. Time will tell.
    I think 120 tpi tires are less likely to do it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    The original Ground Control and Purgatory Control casings wept like a shamed televangelist at first. I replaced the Ground Controls, but shortly after I switched to Orange Seal, the problem went away on the Purgs.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Surly Dirt Wizard and Terrene Chunk do not leak.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Installed new rear and front Purgatory GRID GRIPTON 27.5 x 3.0 tubeless 38ID rim. Each come around 1160g. Replaced old model Purgatory Grid 27.5 x 3.0 .. Now this tire feels really robust. And what a grip! Even sealed & rideable perfect without sealant. And not a single leak from anywhere when sealant added! Insane tire, strongly recommended! Maybe even new Gripton Ground Controls can do a job for me, cuz i dont need so much grip.

Now i'm looking for second pair of more XC/fast plus tires. Would love to try chupacabra 2.8 but they are expensive as hell. Looks like RR 2.8 is fast, supple, light and not so expensive. Any thoughts/experience with new FastTrak 2.8 GRID gripton(900g claimed)?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Nice purgs. Im waiting on mine to arrive end of this month. On backorder.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Does 425 mi wear out a rear GC 3.0? Like 40 hrs of riding?

Sorry this is sideways. Anyway, I've ridden 2.0/2.2 tires for 25 years, this seems like a pretty worn tire for this volume range. Is this what everyone sees, and I'm just out of touch? By the way, I ripped part of a knob off it a ride ago, booted it, and I have a 3" RoRo waiting. It's not terrible bad, but it's def lost some grip. Side knobs are better than mid range, but some of those middles are pretty sad. No tarmac, only Front Range track really.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 27.5+ Tires-img_1967.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Hi, I'm in the UK, does anyone know of an online store in the US that I could buy the 2.8 Butcher and Slaughter GRIDs?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Doe anyone have copared NoNic and RoRon both 2.8 on back.
    I'm really stucked as Ron is supposed to be faster with lower roling resistance but on other hand afraid of loosiing the grip.
    It's said that 2.8 with 15PSI shouldn't loose grip so trying tond swee spot.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Placek View Post
    Doe anyone have copared NoNic and RoRon both 2.8 on back.
    I'm really stucked as Ron is supposed to be faster with lower roling resistance but on other hand afraid of loosiing the grip.
    It's said that 2.8 with 15PSI shouldn't loose grip so trying tond swee spot.
    I've run a 27.5x3.0 Rocket Ron in the back on two different bikes at 12-14 psi. It rolls well and is OK on rocky surfaces (Moab type slick rock) and hardback "hero dirt" that's firm and tacky. However, it slides too much in loose on hard here in SoCal and does't bite enough in soft or muddy conditions.

I'd recommend a Nobby Nic if you need lots of traction. Another option in the 2.8 size is the Maxxis Rekon, sort of in between the NoNic and RoRo. Much better grip than the RoRo, more predictable when it does slide, also light weight, and fast rolling.

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by levity View Post
    I've run a 27.5x3.0 Rocket Ron in the back on two different bikes at 12-14 psi. It rolls well and is OK on rocky surfaces (Moab type slick rock) and hardback "hero dirt" that's firm and tacky. However, it slides too much in loose on hard here in SoCal and does't bite enough in soft or muddy conditions.

I'd recommend a Nobby Nic if you need lots of traction. Another option in the 2.8 size is the Maxxis Rekon, sort of in between the NoNic and RoRo. Much better grip than the RoRo, more predictable when it does slide, also light weight, and fast rolling.
    A Rocket Ron in a 3.0 is not the same beast as a 2.8. The 2.8 version is quit a bit more aggressive.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    A Rocket Ron in a 3.0 is not the same beast as a 2.8. The 2.8 version is quit a bit more aggressive.
    I haven't seen or tried the 2.8 RoRo. Just thought the small knobs were a bit closer together on the smaller carcass. What'd they do different?

Ok, I see this previous thread by bdundee - good info there:

2.8 vs 3.0 Rocket Ron the same but very different.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    From a previous thread, ppl have reported much larger knobs on the 2.8 RRon than 3.0.

I have both the rekon 2.8 and RRon 2.8 and live in san diego. The RR definitely rolls faster and is lighter however has more undamped rebound. The Rekon measures 2.64 for me, 5mm corner lugs, 3mm center knobs. The RRon measures 2.68 for me, 5mm corner unsupported lugs, 3mm center knobs. I run 35mm iw rims.

The dhf2.5 has 5mm corner lugs and 5mm center knobs. The dhr2.4 has 6mm corner lugs and 4mm center knobs. These have much larger knobs and quite a bit heavier but true to size.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

gone walk about
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    there's that word 'aggressive' again...haha, yes the two are diff in terms of knob height & volume for sure.

surprised bob didn't post his link.

2.8 vs 3.0 Rocket Ron the same but very different.
    Last edited by nvphatty; 03-17-2017 at 02:00 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Good Friday Evening,

I have the following three tires:
    -3.0 WTB Trail Boss
    -3.0 Surly Dirt Wizard
    -3.0 Specialized Ground Control.

What would you suggest as front and rear tire for the most reliable combo with the best traction. I recently got a 27.5+ Surly KM and will be riding technical terrain in New England.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by mugstud View Post
    Hi, I'm in the UK, does anyone know of an online store in the US that I could buy the 2.8 Butcher and Slaughter GRIDs?
    Why would you want to order from America? You'll get tax/vat added on once they arrive.

Get them from europe. HiBike.de sell them. And they are basically not far off the price of the regular size specialized tyres over here.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by mglder View Post
    Why would you want to order from America? You'll get tax/vat added on once they arrive.

Get them from europe. HiBike.de sell them. And they are basically not far off the price of the regular size specialized tyres over here.

They aren't available until the end of May/early June in Europe (Specialized UK won't be stocking the 2.8s at all) and I was hoping to get some now.

gone walk about
    Quote Originally Posted by mglder View Post
    because often times they are not available just as when us mericans go in search for goods, sometimes we end up purchasing euro if we want it bad enough that's why.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by levity View Post

Huge thanks for this.
    This fear tire would be used i rocky, slippery terrain hence need to slick well but also be predictable when running downhill.
    Initally i thought that RoRon might work, but when more i search than see that this tire i actually more XC oriented and i might no benefit from roling resistance and sacrify too much of grip.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Feendog View Post
    Good Friday Evening,

-3.0 WTB Trail Boss
    -3.0 Surly Dirt Wizard

What would you suggest as front and rear tire for the most reliable combo with the best traction. I recently got a 27.5+ Surly KM and will be riding technical terrain in New England.
    Dirt Wizard front, Trail Boss rear.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Feendog View Post
    Good Friday Evening,

-3.0 WTB Trail Boss
    -3.0 Surly Dirt Wizard

Dirt Wizard front, Dirt Wizard rear. Or if you only have one of each, DW front, TB rear.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by majr View Post
    Dirt Wizard front, Dirt Wizard rear. Or if you only have one of each, DW front, TB rear.
    Thanks. I only have one DW. DW looks to be tiny bit more narrow than The Trail Boss. I do have a 2.8 Trail Blazer so maybe I'll go with that in the rear.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Was wondering whether anyone has had a chance to ride both the Butcher Grid 2.8 and Purgatory Grid 3.0...?

My rims are WTB i35's and I installed the Butcher 2.8's last night. Just measured them now to be 2.65" knob-to-knob. Compared to the WTB Trail Boss 3.0's I pulled off the same rims, these look substantially smaller (lower volume). I was wondering whether I'd be better off running the 3.0 Purgatory Grid front/back, the Butcher 2.8's aren't looking much bigger than my regular 27.5 setup of Magic Marys on i30 rims. The 3.0 Trail Boss cleared my frame but not by much (4-5mm either side at the chainstays) so not sure if the Purgatory 3.0 would. I'm in the Pacific Northwest and ride plenty of wet rocks and roots so grip is important...question is...would I have better grip with the lower-volume Butcher 2.8's at say 17-18psi or the Purgatory 3.0's at ~14-15psi?
    ride, eat, sleep, repeat

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Is there actually a 2.8 Butcher Grid? I only see the Butcher Controls on the S website. The Butcher Grids have a much softer compound, but the Controls are only slightly softer than the Purgs. Softer compounds generally grip better in the wet than wider tire, because tire slip happens at much lower forces (before the tire deforms) when it's wet. I'm not sure how those two would compare in the dry, however.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by phride View Post
    Is there actually a 2.8 Butcher Grid?
    I'm looking at it on my wheel right now - Butcher Grid Gripton 650bx2.8

That said, it looks like both the Butcher Grid & Purgatory Grid now use the Gripton compound...the only difference then being the tread pattern and knob height. I imagine the Purgatory would have a rounder profile whereas the Butcher is a bit more square (especially consider they'd be going on an i35 rim).
    ride, eat, sleep, repeat

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    I'm not sure that Gripton means anything (although it sure sounds cool). The Purgatory Grid and Control both have rubber coming with 60a durometer rating on the center of the tread and 50a (softer compound) on the tread shoulder. The Butcher Control is specced as 50a throughout, and the Butcher Grid knobs are 42a (much softer), although the 2.8 isn't up on their website yet. Assuming it is the same, I would expect the Butcher to give you much better traction, and I would also think that you could run a lower pressure than 15-16, if you had the Trail Bosses at 14-15, as the Grid sidewalls should be much stiffer than the TBs'. Also, the Purg 3.0s have a much wider bead to bead measurement (180) than the Trail Boss (167), so I would expect that they wouldn't quite fit your current bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I appreciate the insight, I didn't realize the Purg 3.0's are quite that big - definitely a no-go on my Remedy. Sounds like the super-soft knobs on the Butcher Grid will match up quite well with the generally wet conditions in my neck of the woods...might go with something a bit less aggressive for the drier summer months. Cheers!
    ride, eat, sleep, repeat

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by tdotrider View Post
    I appreciate the insight, I didn't realize the Purg 3.0's are quite that big - definitely a no-go on my Remedy. Sounds like the super-soft knobs on the Butcher Grid will match up quite well with the generally wet conditions in my neck of the woods...might go with something a bit less aggressive for the drier summer months. Cheers!
    Purg 3.0s measure close to a true 3.0. Butcher 2.8s do measure kind of small, as you have seen.
    As others have stated, the Butcher is a MUCH softer rubber compound, way grippier. I can't comment on your trails, but in the east on rocks/hardpack the Butcher is considerably grippier, and tougher. I would run a Purg 3.0 at around 15.5F/17.5R, whereas the Butcher 2.8 needs 18F/20R to keep from banging the rims on rocks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    [QUOTE=phride;13092117]I'm not sure that Gripton means anything (although it sure sounds cool). The Purgatory Grid and Control both have rubber coming with 60a durometer rating on the center of the tread and 50a (softer compound) on the tread shoulder. The Butcher Control is specced as 50a throughout, and the Butcher Grid knobs are 42a (much softer), although the 2.8 isn't up on their website yet. Assuming it is the same, I would expect the Butcher to give you much better traction, and I would also think that you could run a lower pressure than 15

Pretty sure the Trail Boss is 180mm b-b also. I had a set on I-36mm rims and they measured out to 75mm knob to knob.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Need real world info on a replacement plus tire. Currently run WTB ranger and would like to try a slightly more aggressive tire for mud season. Anyone know real measurements of a Rekon 27.5x2.8 vs a 2.8 Ranger?

2.8 Ranger is the absolute widest my bike will fit..

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Rekon 2.8 measures 2.66 on s 35mm iw rim knob to knob

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Back2MTB View Post
    Need real world info on a replacement plus tire. Currently run WTB ranger and would like to try a slightly more aggressive tire for mud season. Anyone know real measurements of a Rekon 27.5x2.8 vs a 2.8 Ranger?

2.8 Ranger is the absolute widest my bike will fit..
    I have ran both on an i30 and they were within a mm of each other if I recall. If you are good clearance wise with the Ranger you will be fine with the Rekon. In my experience the Ranger would be fine on the stand but would squish out under weight while riding and my chain would rub when in the big cog. The Rekon has been more stiff and supportive and definitely better in the mud. I'm actually planning on running a Rekon front and Ranger rear on my wife's bike. I have the Rekon mounted up. I will try to get some time to mount up the Ranger tomorrow and take specific measurements for you.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Super helpful, thanks very much!

Anyone want to take guesses as how big the Schwalbe 2.6 tires will be?

I've got the Slaughter and Butcher 2.6 and they are definitely on the wider side, maybe even true to claimed width.

I've really liked the Slaughter 2.6, but it's side knobs are just a bit wide for my oldschool 27.5 frame. That and the Butcher is a slow roller.

Thinking of trying the 2.6 versions of the Rocket Ron Snakeskin and Nobby Nic up front.
    GIS/GPS Pro using ArcFM for Utility Mapping - Always willing to connect with other MTBers in the industry.

gone walk about
    Quote Originally Posted by PHeller View Post
    Anyone want to take guesses as how big the Schwalbe 2.6 tires will NOT be?
    fify, I guess, surmise, suspect they will not be true to their 2.6 label but rather 2.5ish....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PHeller View Post
    Anyone want to take guesses as how big the Schwalbe 2.6 tires will be?

I've got the Slaughter and Butcher 2.6 and they are definitely on the wider side, maybe even true to claimed width.

I've really liked the Slaughter 2.6, but it's side knobs are just a bit wide for my oldschool 27.5 frame. That and the Butcher is a slow roller.

Thinking of trying the 2.6 versions of the Rocket Ron Snakeskin and Nobby Nic up front.
    Another option is the maxxis Forekaster and Rekon both are available in 27.5x2.6 now.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonlui View Post
    Rekon 2.8 measures 2.66 on s 35mm iw rim knob to knob

Alright so mounted the WTB Ranger back up and took some measurements. I have 3 different pairs of tires. The WTB Ranger 2.8 light and fast, Maxxis Rekon 2.8 DC and Minion DHF 3C 2.8. All tires are mounted on Easton i30 27.5 rims.

Rangers measure 67mm knob to knob and 66mm casing.
    Rekon come out at 66mm k2k and 65mm casing
    DHF are 67-68mm k2k and 65mm casing

One final note. I have mounted up so many different brands of tires (WTB, Maxxis, Schwalabe and Specialized) on all 3 different popular diameter rims and I don't know what it is about these WTB's but I remember this the last time I mounted them... and that is I ended up making a ridiculous sealant mess like I'm new at tubeless or something. That and I have to put a lot more sealant in to get them to not leak air out the sidewalls.

Anyhow I hope this helps.

mtbr member
    31.3 ??? What's that?

am super excited about 27.5+ as it fills in one of the last gaps in choice for diameter/width (we now have 31x3, 29xanything you want up to 4.8", 27.5xanything up to 3" or so, etc) but honestly, they are not going to work that well on most 29" frames. Anything big enough to achieve the same diameter as a 29x2.3 or so is going to be too huge to fit in most frames, and a smaller tire (like the WTB) is going to cause a lot of people BB height/pedal strike problems, especially if run at low pressure where you're looking at 15+mm less BB height.

But they are still awesome and I want some.

mtbr member
    Hi,

Looking to replace hated TrailBlazer
    Sidewall in that tyre is a joke...

I was eyeing Vee Crown Gem in either 2.6 or 2.8 flavor.

Any real life measurements on iw 35-40mm rim please?

Cheers!
    I.
    LoMF syndrome...

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I've had a few rides now on my Butcher Grid 2.8's (on i35 rims) and no surprises, traction is amazing...an excellent setup for PNW winter/spring riding. I'll likely replace the Butcher in the rear with something faster-rolling when the dry season finally shows up, but thus far quite impressed with the Spesh tires. They are literally half the price locally of the DHF/DHF2, which goes to show just how absurd Maxxis' pricing is.
    ride, eat, sleep, repeat

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by IvanMTB View Post
    Hi,

Looking to replace hated TrailBlazer
    Sidewall in that tyre is a joke...

I was eyeing Vee Crown Gem in either 2.6 or 2.8 flavor.

Any real life measurements on iw 35-40mm rim please?

Cheers!
    I.
    I can't help you much with replacement tires, but part of the problem with the sidewalls wearing like that is not because the sidewall is thin, but because the sidewall is much wider than the tread. There are a decent number of 2.8 tires tires out there, but they are all wider than the Trail Blazer, which is more like a 2.6" tire.

mtbr member
    True story mate...

Anyways, that's why I'm asking about 2.6 Crown Gem, providing it is REAL 2.6, not closer to 2.3-2.4...

Unless 2.8 is more like 2.6, so I can go for that...

Cheers!
    I.
    LoMF syndrome...

gone walk about
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeny View Post
    I can't help you much with replacement tires, but part of the problem with the sidewalls wearing like that is not because the sidewall is thin, but because the sidewall is much wider than the tread. There are a decent number of 2.8 tires tires out there, but they are all wider than the Trail Blazer, which is more like a 2.6" tire.
    bikeny is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by IvanMTB View Post
    True story mate...

Anyways, that's why I'm asking about 2.6 Crown Gem, providing it is REAL 2.6, not closer to 2.3-2.4...

Unless 2.8 is more like 2.6, so I can go for that...

Cheers!
    I.
    the fitment of the TB with casing extremely exposed is the down fall. Give the crown gem 2.8 a shot if you like the VEE tires.

Why so uptite?
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by nvphatty View Post
    the fitment of the TB with casing extremely exposed is the down fall. Give the crown gem 2.8 a shot if you like the VEE tires.
    Crown Gem gets a from me.
    Collection of fun carbon & titanium bikes

@tgi_cycling

mtbr member
    Do you have any actual measurements of that one?

Cheers!
    I.
    LoMF syndrome...

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    The wtb ranger and trail boss are both true to size if using something that's actually a plus wheel.

3.0s are slightly over 3.0 on 45mm inner rims.

Trailblazer is garbage, 2.6 maybe on a good day and really square tread pattern. Ranger and trail boss are actually pretty good tires for me so far but I got the tough sidewalls. 3.0 tires still weigh less than trailblazer 2.8

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

US partner for ITUO and Ravemen:
    www.rakcindustries.com

Moving from Specialized GRID Butcher/Slaughter 2.6 (for sale) to Schwalbe Rocket Ron 2.6.

I really liked the Specialized stuff, but for 80% of my riding I don't need something quite so aggressive, and when I do I'd probably be happy with more normal 2.35-2.5 sizes.

Hoping the Rocket Ron is fast rolling, tough (enough) and lightweight.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Has anyone used Schwalbe G-One's in 2,8 size? I have finally purchased ones, but I have missed that there are two Evolution versions - Liteskin and Snakeskin which is tubeless easy. I plan to use the tires on DtSwiss XM551 rims, but I am not sure if they can be used tubeless. As far as I have looked, Snakeskin version is not available yet.
    Should I use Liteskins, even with tubes, or should I exchange them for Snakeskin when they become available? I have only experience with LiteSkins on my fat bike (Jumbo Jims), which I use with tubes.
    Many thanks in advance

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Have just put some 2.6 Nobby Nic Trailstars on some Roval Traverse 29mm internal wheels. They look small (shock eh) right now, but will maybe grow a little overnight.

They fit easily into the regular 27.5 Suntour Aion forks.

gone walk about
    ^^ good fit.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Any news on proper 27.5+ tyres.

All the news and exitement seem to be on these whimppy and skinny 2.6.-2.8 ones.
    I presume that the 27.5+thing should be past 29er conversion phase and with frames designed for bigger clearances people would want tyres with larger diameter and foot print.

Something in the true 3.0-3.25 region.
    I have the VTF 3.25 rear and duro Crux 3.25 front and that combination offers good traction , but for some tasks i would like to try fast rolling rubber.

it has been long time since first VTF 3.25:s were available , but it is basically still the only tyre bigger than 3inch really available.

I have trouble understanding the dicrection which 27.5.+ has taken.
    "There's no such thing as illegal immigrants, only illegal
    governments..."

Asian Dub Foundation

That's just it, manufacturers aren't producing bikes with big clearances. In most cases, 3.0 is the max fitment.

I think market as a whole is just excited to see more high-volume, lightweight tires, and most people don't need a 3.25" tire most of the time.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Giant insider told me a while ago they saw sweet spot at 2.6, so... there u go. For me,if it ain't 3.0, gtfo.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by rikardo View Post
    Any news on proper 27.5+ tyres.

All the news and exitement seem to be on these whimppy and skinny 2.6.-2.8 ones.
    I presume that the 27.5+thing should be past 29er conversion phase and with frames designed for bigger clearances people would want tyres with larger diameter and foot print.

Something in the true 3.0-3.25 region.
    I have the VTF 3.25 rear and duro Crux 3.25 front and that combination offers good traction , but for some tasks i would like to try fast rolling rubber.

it has been long time since first VTF 3.25:s were available , but it is basically still the only tyre bigger than 3inch really available.

I have trouble understanding the dicrection which 27.5.+ has taken.
    It all depends how and where you ride. Plus tires are for the right type of riders and the right type of riding. I like the traction of the plus tires on some surfaces and also the way they smoothen the ride, but I don't like the bounciness when I'm riding aggressively. That is why Enduro racers are looking into 2.5-2.6'' wide tires as they offer plenty of traction and grip but at minimum bouncing and also offers a more stable sidewall. a true 2.5 or 2.6'' tire on the proper rim width that is fast rolling and offer a good overall grip on a wide range of surface could be the ultimate trail tire. There is plenty of new tires in the 27.5x2.6 size like the Maxxis Rekon, Forekaster, Nobby Nic, Specs, Vee Crown Gem, etc. And some people rave about the WTB 2.5 tires that are real 2.5''. The plus bike is certainly here to stay but you have to know the benefits and the drawbacks before going this way to make sure it is for you.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    To get more clearance in the frame you'll have to go down to a 22 tooth chain ring. Is that what you all want? Go look how close your 30t ring is on your current bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by c_mack9 View Post
    To get more clearance in the frame you'll have to go down to a 22 tooth chain ring. Is that what you all want? Go look how close your 30t ring is on your current bike.
    What?

gone walk about
    Quote Originally Posted by tfinator View Post
    What?
    say wha???

mtbr member
    I recently started racing my 27.5+ trail bike, I realize it's probably not the best option for XC racing but it's what I have.

Bike came with a Chinese no name, claimed to be 3.5" but actually measures 3.0. I switched to WTB Bridger 3.0 front and rear. I was losing the front end on our hard pack/loose over hard trails so I switched the front back to the factory tire. Grip is good with that set up, but it's time to replace the front. Any suggestions for a good front to pair with the Bridger rear?

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Trailboss 3.0, excellent all around traction but rolls very well. Only weakness is probably mud but it's not terrible at that either.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by c_mack9 View Post
    I've seen some nonsense posted on here but this is up there with the 'best'.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Just put industry nine backcountry 360 27.5+ wheels on my new pivot les with maxxis rekon 2.8 tires front and rear. Can't wait to test them out tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    I've spent the past 5 days reading this thread because googling "Kenda Havok Pro" took me here. Not one mention of the Kenda. Damn

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by agauna View Post
    I've spent the past 5 days reading this thread because googling "Kenda Havok Pro" took me here. Not one mention of the Kenda. Damn
    It's probably listed in someone's signature.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    27.5+ Tires-img_20170407_142424948.jpg

My new purgs grids seem to be holding up fine.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Sorry if this has been covered but what kind of pressures are you all running at bike parks? I'll have my Mojo 3 with 2.8 Rekons at Bailey Mtb Park this weekend and I'm not entirely sure where to start with pressures. The trails are smooth and flowy.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I use those same tires and run 14 front and 16 rear and wright 185 all geared up for loose over hard pack terrain.