Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 27.5+ rim list

Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
    Anyone besides WTB doing Asym alloys yet?
    GIS/GPS Pro using ArcFM for Utility Mapping - Always willing to connect with other MTBers in the industry.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    How has the bead lock on the XM's been? Their tubeless reliability is the only issue I am questing on pulling the trigger on these versus the WTB Scrapers.

Syntace W40 (33mm internal) 620g (27.5" ISO 584, 32 hole) price unknown
    Ibis 738 (34mm internal) 502g (27.5" ISO 559.4, 32 hole) price unknown

My list of alloy options:

WTB i35 Asym: 610g
    Spank 395+: 580g
    Easton Arc 35: 540g
    Kore Realm P35: 575g claimed
    DT Swiss XM551: 595g claimed 620g actual.
    Syntace W40: 620g
    Ibis 738: 502g
    GIS/GPS Pro using ArcFM for Utility Mapping - Always willing to connect with other MTBers in the industry.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeny View Post

Rim Outside width Inside width Weight

Notubes Hugo 52.3mm 49.9mm 585g
    This one is 720g not 585g.

ZTR Hugo 52 27.5 Rim

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Hulk Bike now has 52mm carbon available plus 50mm too.I have been running 52's for trail plus Enduros and ride parks,28 H front 32 H rear,so far have held up very well and cost is very appealing.I paid 130.00 per when first offered but even at 159.00 now a great price for proven rims.They will combine shipping on two rims if you ask.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    AlexRims has a decent selection now. all tubeless ready unless noted otherwise:

MD50 - 50mm internal: 29, 62250, 770g ERD: 594.3mm
    650B, 58450, 720g ERD: 555.8mm

MD40 - 40mm internal: 650B, 58440, 590g ERD: 564.1mm

MD35 - 35mm internal: 29, 565g, 27.5, 520g. no other info. not listed as tubeless ready

XM45 - 45mm internal: 650B, 58445, 600g ERD: 566.2mm

XM35 - 35mm internal: 29, 62235, 550g ERD: 604.7mm
    650B, 58435, 520g ERD: 566.7mm

i imagine most of these are oem rims, as i cant seen to find then available anywhere. anyways, theres the weights at least, for reference.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    MD are OEM-only, it seems - you can find them on Silverback bikes and some others
    there were a few in US retail last year, but no more
    XM45 are something new, might be available at some point

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Just picked up some used Kore P35 realms rims: weighed 606 grams (with some residual from tape / tubeless.

Back from dead!

Any 40mm internal width rims (or close to it) in aluminum that have offset spoke holes (asym?). Bonus points for 28h.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by PHeller View Post
    Back from dead!

Any 40mm internal width rims (or close to it) in aluminum that have offset spoke holes (asym?). Bonus points for 28h.
    Nope, asymmetric, alloy rims seem to top out at 35 mm internal. Ones I know of are WTB I35, IBIS (638,738 & 938) Syntace W35, and Ryde Edge M35. WTB and IBIS are the only ones made down to 26". WTB are probably the strongest as they have a proprietary alloy that's purported to be 20% stronger than normal 6000 series (6061?) that most manufacturers use. And thus by similar argument, the WTB Scraper I40 is probably your best bet.

Edit: Just saw that Stan's put out a contender with 38 mm internal-- Major Mk3

If you're going 27.5 or 29, the best deal on a great built set would be the American Classic Smokin Gun (unless you just have to have high POE hubs) or they might sell you just the rims if you ask.
    Last edited by xprmntl; 11-15-2017 at 04:46 PM.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Nothing compares to Onyx hubs, period! I'm spoiled by the zero lash engagement. Move over, I9...
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Nothing? Look up True Precisions Stealth. No need for a lengthy debate on merits of one over the other here, as that would be a hijack. Leave it up to the readers to jump over to the appropriate threads.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I just checked the American Classic site and saw that they're blowing out their 40 mm internal, Smokin Guns in 27.5" or 29". $399, half price. They're quoted at 1750g for the pair in a 27.5". https://amclassic.com/index.php/whee...mokin-gun.html.

Reviews: https://www.singletracks.com/blog/mt...eelset-review/
    https://nevcragg.com/2016/04/17/amer...-sized-wheels/

Cheap way to try wide.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by xprmntl View Post
    I just checked the American Classic site and saw that they're blowing out their 40 mm internal, Smokin Guns in 27.5" or 29". $399, half price. They're quoted at 1750g for the pair in a 27.5". https://amclassic.com/index.php/whee...mokin-gun.html
    That is a good deal. I'd be tempted if the rear were boost.

nvphatty
    I just checked the American Classic site and saw that they're blowing out their 40 mm internal, Smokin Guns in 27.5" or 29". $399, half price. They're quoted at 1750g for the pair in a 27.5". https://amclassic.com/index.php/whee...mokin-gun.html.
    unless i missed it, how are they joined??, welded, sleeved or pinned?
    Last edited by nvphatty; 11-16-2017 at 10:49 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by s0ckeyeus View Post
    That is a good deal. I'd be tempted if the rear were boost.
    All you have to do is read the links--they're Boost compatible. You just need a new rear axle for $35. https://amclassic.com/index.php/hub-parts.html
    None of their hubs are true "Boost," though--they're not redesigned hub. Boost is just just marketing, anyway, right? And before you start arguing, please site the published numbers from _real measurements_ of how 3mm difference in hub width on each side translates into a significant % rigidity increase.

Website now says you have to use the "30BF" code to get the $399 price. Seems all wheels site-wide is now 30% off with this code.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by nvphatty View Post
    unless i missed it, how the they joined??, welded, sleeved or pinned?
    Damn, I ain't payin' no half price on pinned rim BS!

Again, what are the published numbers that say how one technology versus the other is a better technology? American Classic is known for high-quality. Are these products different? Are people railing on them for failures in MTBR? I don't think so.

Having now ranted, again, I took a look (Google is your friend, people!) and there are articles that say they used "pinned and sleeved" technology for their rims back in 2013. Are these pinned, too? Call the company.
    Previous debate on pinned versus welded: Pinned vs. welded rim joints.

Interesting argument from AC's designer Bill Shook on how Boost spacing not used for wider hub, but to get better wheel symmetry (i.e. more equal spoke tension) makes for the better wheel design https://www.pinkbike.com/news/does-b...r-wheel-1.html

mtbr member
    All you have to do is read the links--they're Boost compatible. You just need a new rear axle for $35. https://amclassic.com/index.php/hub-parts.html
    None of their hubs are true "Boost," though--they're not redesigned hub. Boost is just just marketing, anyway, right? And before you start arguing, please site the published numbers from _real measurements_ of how 3mm difference in hub width on each side translates into a significant % rigidity increase.

Website now says you have to use the "30BF" code to get the $399 price. Seems all wheels site-wide is now 30% off with this code.
    They seem to have a boost version, but it's not as cheap: https://amclassic.com/index.php/whee...oost-pair.html. If I'm reading right, the 142mm version would need the conversion kit and the wheel would need to be redished. If I were desperate for a wheelset, maybe I'd be inclined to try it. Oh, and boost isn't just marketing if your bike calls for a 148mm hub...

nvphatty
    Damn, I ain't payin' no half price on pinned rim BS!

Again, what are the published numbers that say how one technology versus the other is a better technology? American Classic is known for high-quality. Are these products different? Are people railing on them for failures in MTBR? I don't think so.

Having now ranted, again, I took a look (Google is your friend, people!) and there are articles that say they used "pinned and sleeved" technology for their rims back in 2013. Are these pinned, too? Call the company.
    can't rightly say, hence why i asked.

mtbr member
    Another strike against these is the relatively low engagement on the rear hub, which is even more of an issue in the age of wide range cassettes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by s0ckeyeus View Post
    Another strike against these is the relatively low engagement on the rear hub, which is even more of an issue in the age of wide range cassettes.
    I'm struggling to understand what wide range cassettes have to do with engagement? A triple chainring set-up has wide range, too.

Some people enjoy quiet, quality, reasonably priced freehubs over better engagement (which is generally loud). Keep dis'ing all you want, but $399 is cheap for a nice set of 40mm ID, light wheels with good reputation. I was just trying to let people know about a good deal. Instant engagement and quiet will cost you $450 for rear hub, only. https://onyxrp.com/store/mtb-hubs/mt...148-12mm-thru/ and won't build up anywhere near 1750g. It's all a trade-off...

mtbr member
    I'm struggling to understand what wide range cassettes have to do with engagement? A triple chainring set-up has wide range, too.

Some people enjoy quiet, quality, reasonably priced freehubs over better engagement (which is generally loud). Keep dis'ing all you want, but $399 is cheap for a nice set of 40mm ID, light wheels with good reputation. I was just trying to let people know about a good deal. Instant engagement and quiet will cost you $450 for rear hub, only. https://onyxrp.com/store/mtb-hubs/mt...148-12mm-thru/ and won't build up anywhere near 1750g. It's all a trade-off...
    Count the clicks when the derailleur is on the largest cog vs the smallest. When on a large cog, you'll have to turn the cranks farther to hit each engagement point than on the smaller cogs. Engagement feels worse the bigger the cog.

I don't think instant engagement is that important, but it gets annoying. My hub right now has 27 POE, and it's perfectly fine. The 24 POE on the AC wheels isn't terrible. I'm not dissing the wheels, just not convinced to buy a non-boost wheelset with lower engagement than the one I have. Why are you trying to sell me on a wheelset again?

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    the multiplier translating slack at the rear hub (2pi/POE) into slack at the cranks before pawls engage is gear ratio, not cog size
    gear ratios have shrunk a little as wheels have grown bigger
    stick to 26" and low POE will be a bit more tolerable

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bruto View Post
    the multiplier translating slack at the rear hub (2pi/POE) into slack at the cranks before pawls engage is gear ratio, not cog size
    Exactly.

mtbr member
    That may be a more precise way of putting it. But assuming you're using the same chainring, wheelset, tires, etc. on a 1x, the only thing that would change gear ratio would be shifting to different cogs in the back, right?

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I'm not using the same chainring on the big wheeled bike, FWIW

Yukon Rider
    What size tire does the WTB Scraper 27.5 i45 take? Can't seem to find this on WTB site? I'm riding 2015 BearGrease looking at 3.8 front and rear Maxxis Minions EXO with softer compound for Vancouver Island technical riding on lots of roots and rock.
    This thread has been really helpful narrowing my choices. Thanks

2015 Salsa BearGrease Aluminum w/carbon fork

nvphatty
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek.Endress View Post
    What size tire does the WTB Scraper 27.5 i45 take? Can't seem to find this on WTB site? I'm riding 2015 BearGrease looking at 3.8 front and rear Maxxis Minions EXO with softer compound for Vancouver Island technical riding on lots of roots and rock.
    anywhere from 2.8--3.8.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek.Endress View Post
    https://dycteyr72g97f.cloudfront.net...WEB_ZZ_001.pdf

mtbr member
    Has any one ridden the American Classice 3438 rims yet? They are about 70g lighter than any other alloy 27.5+ rim that i have found. I dont know where they shaved weight from so Im really curious.
    Nature never said one thing, and wisdom another...

American Classic rims are always pretty light. Getting ahold of just the rims can be challenging though, even more so now that they are closing up shop.

This place needs an enema

A quick glance at that chart makes me think it isn't the best one-stop-shop for the answer you were trying to provide.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    A quick glance at that chart shows how useless it really is.

29 psi in a 5 is like having tungsten tires...
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by austinTRON View Post
    Has any one ridden the American Classice 3438 rims yet? They are about 70g lighter than any other alloy 27.5+ rim that i have found. I dont know where they shaved weight from so Im really curious.
    The 3834 (not 3438)is a beefier sidewall version of the rims that are used for the Wide Lightning (32/29.3) and Smokin' Gun (43/40) wheelsets. 3834 were brought out to be better/stronger for Enduro racing and OEM use, along with the 3430. which were evidently built with input from enduro racers like Cedric and Cecile Ravanell who piloted the 3834 to 7 out of 8 top podiums for the 2016 EWS season. The only 3834 review I could find was in German, where they were sold as a factory built wheel--can be Google Translated: https://translate.google.com/transla...t/&prev=search
    One can see the difference in profile between the 3430 and the WL here: https://singletrackworld.com/2016/09...-wheel-market/

This OEM gamble and the tight aftermarket market has since sunk AC, so their parts are limited to what's currently in warehouses (I think BTI bought the last of their stock)
    The WL and SG get good reviews other than they are a bit easy to dent the sidewall but doesn't generally compromise the wheel, which should obviously be better with the 3834. https://www.singletracks.com/blog/mt...ning-wheelset/

I have been on the Smokin' Gun with 2.5 Maxxis DHF II and a 2.4 Bontrager XR4 for a few months now with no issues. These 40mm aluminum rims are noticeably more forgiving, but less damp, than the AC 26mm internal Carbonator rims with this same tire combo. The SGs are stiff enough that they don't "load up" in corners and slingshot out, nor do they wander around on rocky uphills like I've had happen with light, narrower aluminum rims (e.g. Stans Crest and Fulcrum)

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by BansheeRune View Post
    A quick glance at that chart shows how useless it really is.

29 psi in a 5 is like having tungsten tires...
    https://dycteyr72g97f.cloudfront.net...WEB_ZZ_001.pdf

You're misinterpreting the intent of that DT Swiss rim width / tire size chart that has a 29 PSI spec for wide rims--that is the maximum recommended pressure for extended use. Anything greater could lead to decreased rim fatigue life. Significantly greater pressures could lead to catastrophic rim failure.

This pressure limit would be good to know for heavier riders intent on using wide rims for intense applications, like E-bikes.

As far as the tire width range recommendations go for specific DT rim sizes, they seem in line with other manufacturers' suggestions and those published in MTB 'zines.

Any new alloy 40mm+ internal alloy rims out there?

I'm looking for something that can run 275x3.8s for bikepacking and sandy conditions, but also fit 275x2.6 tires without constantly shredding sidewalls. I think somewhere in the 40mm-50mm internal range would be ideal. Thing is, there are now some lightweight 40mm internal alloy rims like the DT XM551 and AC Smokin Gun, but once you get above 45mm internal, they all kinda turn into boat anchors unless carbon.

mtbr member
    If you want smoking guns you better hurry, american classic is closing up shop.

This place needs an enema

I'm looking for something that can run 275x3.8s for bikepacking and sandy conditions, but also fit 275x2.6 tires without constantly shredding sidewalls. I think somewhere in the 40mm-50mm internal range would be ideal. Thing is, there are now some lightweight 40mm internal alloy rims like the DT XM551 and AC Smokin Gun, but once you get above 45mm internal, they all kinda turn into boat anchors unless carbon.

Can't say I know of anything new, but I agree that 45 to 50 is ideal for 3.8's on dirt, when run at reasonable pressures. I also think anything over 40mm is a bit wide for 2.6's.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    3.0" is no weightweenie territory
    just accept the fact you won't have 300g rims and 400g tires
    it's all heavy, sealant is dealt by pints rather than ounces

and once you stop obsessing over weight, you can start having fun

Are the Duroc's true to the claimed weight?

If so, that'd put the Duroc 50 among one of the lightest 45mm width alloy rims.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

...once you get above 45mm internal, they all kinda turn into boat anchors unless carbon.
    These are all 45 mm internal width

Origin8 Bolt 50 730g $60/ea
    Weinmann U50 TL 680 g ~$25/ea (one review said they were closer to 720g)
    Sun Ringle Mulfut 50 SL 618g $40/ea
    Sun Ringle Duroc 50 SL (46 mm) 610g $40/ea
    Kore Realm P45 645g, ~$60/ea
    Race Face/Easton ARC 45 650g ~$65
    WTB Scraper i45 650g ~$120/ea

If you want to hook me up with a $40 Duroc 50 that'd be rad. I can only find them for $100.

Land of the 230+
    These are all 45 mm internal width

Origin8 Bolt 50 730g $60/ea
    Weinmann U50 TL 680 g ~$25/ea (one review said they were closer to 720g)
    Sun Ringle Mulfut 50 SL 618g $40/ea
    Kore Realm P45 645g, ~$60/ea
    Race Face/Easton ARC 45 650g ~$65
    WTB Scraper i45 650g ~$120/ea
    It might have been my review on the weinmann U50's you were talking about, but if not, I can confirm they were in the low 720g range. Additionally, the KORE realm p45s are also understated in weight. Mine were 705g and 711g.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Other 27+ options not mentioned above (on this page, anyway):

Stars J50E AKA Stars plus (45mm IW, 650g, Hugo-like profile) - sold by Sarma Bikes in Russia, might be available through some channels in NA as well
    Pinned, I think

Eternity M0008: ETERNITY INDUSTRIAL CO. LTD.
    Welded, light-ish
    Might be available with some other stickers in retail, but can be bought directly from the factory if you're willing to order a small box of them
    $20 apiece in Taiwan, more with shipping

Halo vapour 50: Vapour 50 27.5+ Rim | Halo Wheels
    Pinned, heavy, pretty
    Last edited by bruto; 03-12-2018 at 11:57 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitsBoy View Post
    Additionally, the KORE realm p45s are also understated in weight. Mine were 705g and 711g.
    And mine were 708g. They built up fine. The holes in the underside of the rim are drilled centered with the spoke holes, unlike nicer rims that have them offset so as to make accessing the nipples during the build easier. This adds a bit of time to the beginning of the build but isn't a huge deal overall.

I used WTB 24mm tape which went on quick and easy and was able to seat the Cake Eaters with a floor pump and a bit of dish soap on the beads.

At half the price of Durocs these are worth considering.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Eternity M0008: ETERNITY INDUSTRIAL CO. LTD.
    Welded, light-ish
    Might be available with some other stickers in retail, but can be bought directly from the factory if you're willing to order a small box of them
    $20 apiece in Taiwan, more with shipping
    Interested. Any experience or knowlenge on these?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    If you want to hook me up with a $40 Duroc 50 that'd be rad. I can only find them for $100.
    Yeah, those are running $100+. I blame my poor copy and paste skills. Just the Mulfut available for $40
    https://www.amazon.com/Sun-Ringle-Mu.../dp/B00W8EX39Q
    in a 29, here: Sun Ringle Mulefut 50 SL 29" Rim 32-hole Black | Bikewagon.com
    Another Mulefut for $52 in 27.5" here: https://www.absolutebikes.com/produc...m-276071-1.htm

One Duroc 35 in a 29er for $50: https://www.ebay.com/itm/SunRingle-D...t/292476886435

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    yeah, some people I know ride them
    no complaints so far

Quote Originally Posted by Affe View Post
    Interested (in Eternity M0008). Any experience or knowlenge on these?
    I'd be interested to know if they are anywhere near their claimed weight.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Near enough for me not to remember any discrepancies

mtbr member
    Nov 2014

MTB B'dos
    Look pretty good, nice weight, good price, but somehow the attached screen capture from that site DOES NOT instill any confidence to order from them, none what so ever.

Name:  Wrong order Capture.JPG
Views: 237
Size:  29.9 KB
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    ridewill.it is also present on ebay

Coming back around to the Eternity Rims

Bruto, have you personally seen these rims or know people who have? Any online discussions of how to order them?

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I have personally bought 2 boxes (12 pairs or so) of various models from them, including M0008 and distributed them in my country (Russia)
    Some of them are still in this city, rolling nicely.
    One isn't (I think it was the 20mm MTB rim, M0005 or whatever) because the guy rode into a ditch head-on and bent it beyond repair

The rest of them are fine as far as I know
    I have a contact, the girl is very pleasant to have business with, but you better figure out the shipping cost beforehand as it might prove prohibitive. Their standard box size is high and deep enough for a 29" rim, and is 36cm wide
    So figure out how much you can cram in it (26" rims and fit inside 29" just fine)
    here's one of those orders:
    27.5+ rim list-image001.jpg
    eyelets barely cost a thing, but decals do
    weird anodizing colors will take forever to complete, so you better want them black

and here's a couple of these rims on a bike:
    https://sun9-8.userapi.com/c639720/v...bWAtu5rvCg.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    $139 for the 35mm Blackjack wheelset (~2200g) out of the UK. $28 for shipping. https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/rodi-...-mtb-wheelset/

I have personally bought 2 boxes (12 pairs or so) of various models from them, including M0008 and distributed them in my country (Russia)

I have a contact, the girl is very pleasant to have business with, but you better figure out the shipping cost beforehand as it might prove prohibitive. Their standard box size is high and deep enough for a 29" rim, and is 36cm wide
    I contacted them but I didn't understand the shipping. It's almost like they want me to set up the shipping from their warehouse, they won't do any of it for me.

Additionally, since you've been able to put your hands on a few pairs of the M0008s, did you get a chance to weigh them to see if they meet their claimed weight of 580g?

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    they're an OEM manufacturer, not a retail shop
    figuring out the best shipping option for a box out of Taiwan is really too much to ask considering the price
    I had one sent with EMS directly to me I think and another one via China (no benefit for you there I suppose)

one of the people using them weighed his at 615-620g with single eyelets
    that was last year, though, can't guarantee that nothing changed in the manufacturing process

here's a photo of the rim profile if anyone's curious:
    https://i.imgur.com/2nmYTvH.jpghttps...om/eiFVARY.jpg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12