Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast
    mtbr member

26+ tire choices

We need a 26+ tire thread!
    How long before they make it a sticky?

Thanks for adding 26+ to the + thread; (at long last).

so far I found tires at, ( I am not counting down hill tires).
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surly
    vee tire company
    WTB

edit:
    here is a link for the 26+ rim thread
    26+ Rim Choices
    Last edited by chrisx; 11-08-2016 at 06:35 PM.

gone walk about
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisx View Post
    We need a 26+ tire thread!
    How long before they make it a sticky?

Thanks for adding 26+ to the + thread; (at long last).
    not many 26+ avail but hopefully that will change just like everything else.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    See, Fat bike thread.

Sir Shreds-A-Lot
    if there were more 26+ options id have no choice but to build a steel hard tail with nice 2.8s on it
    2016 Trek Fuel 9.8 27.5
    2017 Trek Domane SL6 Pro

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I have a pair of Gazzalodis' 26 x 3.0. Really beefy downhill type. I just don,t see a demand. Buy a fat bike, get a second set of wheels in 27.5 x 3.0.

Sir Shreds-A-Lot
    Quote Originally Posted by leeboh View Post
    I have a pair of Gazzalodis' 26 x 3.0. Really beefy downhill type. I just don,t see a demand. Buy a fat bike, get a second set of wheels in 27.5 x 3.0.
    unfortunately i dont see a demand either. i think 26+ is going to die before its really born
    2016 Trek Fuel 9.8 27.5
    2017 Trek Domane SL6 Pro

mtbr member
    No interest in fat bikes!
    How about a nobby nic in 26 x 2.8 inch,
    or
    WTB Weirwolf in 26 x 3.0
    Must be something other than down hill tires out there

Fat Bike; NO, not for me, thanks for the offer though

See, Fat bike thread.

Your bike sucks
    Maybe helps some... Surly Dirt Wizard 26 2.75 is the main offering...

Some data this thread:

Where is 26+ ???

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Mega View Post

Trying to give the 26+ a legitimate try cause it makes so much sense for plus-sizes:

• Resulting wheel size in the Goldilocks zone -> same as 27.5
    • Breath some life into the existing 26 platforms and new/old stock out there
    • Borrow from the 26 fat movement plus give nice options for fat-riders who want to occasionally go smaller
    • Geometry options mesh nicely for short stays, narrow/normal Q factor
    • Smaller wheelsize should make for lighter tires compared to 27.5+/29+ in apples to apples

Added - a decent thread in Surly forum where some additional tires are listed:

Other tires for 26+ besides surly' for the Instigator?

Calling out some existing big 26 tires and has overlap w/ this thread.

mtbr member
    What about rims?

Where is the balance 35mm inside diameter?
    A person may want to change tires now and again. What is the widest id a 2.0 tire can safely ride on? What is the smallest id for a 3'0 tire?

Example:
    I am wanting to ride down the Baja again. I need wide tires. When the gravel road turns to a cow trail, and then turns into a dry creek bed of sand, I want wide tires. Next summer when I head for northern Washington state, I may want some thinner tires fit for some mud.

What rim works for both?

gone walk about
    I have a pair of Gazzalodis' 26 x 3.0. Really beefy downhill type. I just don't see a demand. Buy a fat bike, get a second set of wheels in 27.5 x 3.0.
    thats not the answer and yes i had a fat bike. I'm not interested in wagon wheels(29r) nor am i interested in 650b+ as it nearly equates to wagon wheels, hence 26+ is where it's at. Sea otter will tell if any other 26+ rubber is on the way soon.

gone walk about
    What about rims?

Where is the balance 35mm inside diameter?
    A person may want to change tires now and again. What is the widest id a 2.0 tire can safely ride on? What is the smallest id for a 3'0 tire?

Example:
    I am wanting to ride down the Baja again. I need wide tires. When the gravel road turns to a cow trail, and then turns into a dry creek bed of sand, I want wide tires. Next summer when I head for northern Washington state, I may want some thinner tires fit for some mud.

What rim works for both?
    28-30mm minimum ID for 26+ ...which is what my new wheelset will be.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    No interest in fat bikes!
    How about a nobby nic in 26 x 2.8 inch,
    or
    WTB Weirwolf in 26 x 3.0
    Must be something other than down hill tires out there

Fat Bike; NO, not for me, thanks for the offer though
    OK, get that. See the plus sized bikes. 27.5 and 29ers in 3-3.25 inch tires? Fat starts at 3.5. My fatbike has 3.8 inch tires. Really like 1/2 an inch wider. 27.5 rims are 1 " bigger than 26ers. Really slim differences. Plenty of 27.5+ options out there. Just saying. What frame are you going to run 26x 3.0 tires on?

Your bike sucks
    OK, get that. See the plus sized bikes. 27.5 and 29ers in 3-3.25 inch tires? Fat starts at 3.5. My fatbike has 3.8 inch tires. Really like 1/2 an inch wider. 27.5 rims are 1 " bigger than 26ers. Really slim differences. Plenty of 27.5+ options out there. Just saying. What frame are you going to run 26x 3.0 tires on?
    No expert but learning new stuff daily.

I'd estimate 'plus' is settling in at 2.6 - 3ish. We'll see what happens but I imagine trail riders are going to like the narrower 2.8 type tires more than the bigger volume true 3+ tires. (see Ibis' new Mojo3)

Also - seems like there are a lot of 27.5 frames that a 26+ tire will fit. AFAIK, the only official production 26+ frame is the Surly instigator.

^ that's what I have and a 26x2.8 NN would be sweet!

A 2.8 tire vs. 3.8 tire is huge difference.

--Edited to add: a few reasons some of us don't want to repurpose a fat bike platform:

Fat bike geometry isn't tailored for aggressive trail riding
    Wide Q factor sucks for many of us
    Fat hub standards (sic) doesn't allow for wheel swaps w/ trail bikes

My 'interest' was an aggressive hardtail - which just happens to have 26+ tires. A fat bike has zero interest for me. And that extra 1'' is sort of the upper range of wheelsize - I'll probably run regular 27.5 than go 27.5+ which adds another .5 to 1''. Just not for me.

mtbr member
    Tires -

Dirt Wizard 2.75
    Knard 3.0

Then - search for old used Freeride/DH tires that don't weigh too much.

Rims - Blunt 35s, Hugos? Trials Bike rims, find old Sun Doublewide rims?

Here's hoping this option won't die out - it's fun!

mtbr member
    What Surly web site says on 26 x 2.75 dirt wizard

Designed to be run on 50mm rims,
    Minimum rim size for these bad boys is 35mm.
    NOTE: All widths are listed as general outside width measurements.

mtbr member
    Does 26 x 3.5" count? There is the origin 8 if you don't need tread. Similar to the vee speedster of the same size.

At what point does a fat bike become slim enough to be a plus bike? Waltworks builds 83mm bottom bracket fatbikes for 4"tires. You can get trail oriented geometry on fat bikes as well. The lines are blurring.....

gone walk about
    Surly on 26 x 2.75 dirt wizard
    Designed to be run on 50mm rims,
    Minimum rim size for these bad boys is 35mm.
    NOTE: All widths are listed as general outside width measurements.
    naaaaa 50 is far too wide while 30-35 is the norm for it, i'm going to use 28mm and take measurements both off/on the bike.

gone walk about
    Quote Originally Posted by 29ger View Post
    Does 26 x 3.5" count? There is the origin 8 if you don't need tread. Similar to the vee speedster of the same size.

At what point does a fat bike become slim enough to be a plus bike?.
    3.0 or less.

mtbr member
    So a 3.25 tire would be an orphan. Way to skinny to fit in with the fat crowd, and shunned by the plus gang for being to pudgy.

gone walk about
    So a 3.25 tire would be an orphan. Way to skinny to fit in with the fat crowd, and shunned by the plus gang for being to pudgy.
    yessir, it's a bastard of sorts.

Your bike sucks
    Waltworks builds 83mm bottom bracket fatbikes for 4"tires. You can get trail oriented geometry on fat bikes as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by nvphatty View Post
    yessir, it's a bastard of sorts.
    And that's ok. I don't think anyone here is arguing the 26+ is for everyone or best - all this stuff is niche as heck. Barely a defined category. If your dream is a fat/plus 27.5 bike w/ 66 HTA, 83mm bb, boost hubs & designed to run 3.25-3.99999 tires. Go for it! Just not the bike I'd want but that's fine. More than enough room for everyone.

Edit to add: actually that bike sounds sort of fun. Nevermind. Build one!

mtbr member
    3.25 tire would be great as a 26+ tire (especially a front tire) in my opinion - but nobody makes one in Knobby tread that I know of anyway.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Plus sized 27.5 is what the in thing is now. This week.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    "+" is to bikes what fulvous is to colors.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

Rocks belong
    Out of curiosity... who has ridden 26+? Owns 26+?

There are 3 Instigator guys in this thread, anyone else?

Quote Originally Posted by MMcG View Post
    3.25 tire would be great as a 26+ tire (especially a front tire) in my opinion - but nobody makes one in Knobby tread that I know of anyway.
    Respectfully disagree... 3.25" aggressively ridden becomes a lumbering beast. There's a reason why many of the bike companies are settling on 2.8" for the plus movement... Ibis, Scott, Santa Cruz - they've all come out to say that their testing and prototype riding had better results at 2.8" than at 3.0".
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slapheadmofo View Post
    "+" is to bikes what fulvous is to colors.
    from Latin fulvus reddish yellow, gold-coloured, tawny; probably related to fulgēre to shine

it means he likes +

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    It's orange.

I'm at a loss as to how a little extra tire clearance is treated as a whole different category of bike. Goofy.

Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    It's orange.

I'm at a loss as to how a little extra tire clearance is treated as a whole different category of bike. Goofy.

Depends where you ride. Baja california is a good place for a 3 inch wide tire. You need more traction to get up the hill. You need more traction to get down the hill. You need to float where the road turns to a river of sand, for 3 miles. You need a 26 inch rim if you want to buy a new tire. Big tires slow you down. Little tires can not go everywhere. Buy the kind you need for .. ... .

+ tires are + comfort.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 06HokieMTB View Post

Respectfully disagree... 3.25" aggressively ridden becomes a lumbering beast. There's a reason why many of the bike companies are settling on 2.8" for the plus movement... Ibis, Scott, Santa Cruz - they've all come out to say that their testing and prototype riding had better results at 2.8" than at 3.0".
    I'd like to try one as a front tire.......not so much as a rear........just sayin - but then again I like to ride a rigid set up so that extra volume is appealing to me. For a Suspension fork - yeah maybe not so much.

mtbr member
    It's orange.

It's more about the rim and tire combo I guess that categorizes it as plus........30/35mm internal rim width paired up with 2.75 or larger tires.......but I get the gist of what you are sayin as well.

gone walk about

yes as i'm in the process of converting my heckler to 26+ and selling the new OEM 27.5 wheelset. At this time i've not ridden 26+ hence no feedback etc to share but in the coming weeks I shall.

Your bike sucks
    Not a true plus tire (DH) but adding to the collection:

HighRoller 26 X 2.7 1320ish

High Roller | Maxxis Tires USA

And you can get a Maxis DHF 26 x 2.7 for around $60

Maxxis Minion 26" Wire Bead DH Casing > Components > Tires > Dirt Tires | Jenson USA

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Mega View Post
    Not a true plus tire (DH) but adding to the collection:

HighRoller 26 X 2.7 1320ish

High Roller | Maxxis Tires USA

And you can get a Maxis DHF 26 x 2.7 for around $60

Maxxis Minion 26" Wire Bead DH Casing > Components > Tires > Dirt Tires | Jenson USA
    DH tires like that and bigger have been around for a long time but have never caught on for non-DH riders. They are just too heavy, stiff, and dead feeling. I would not put them in the same conversation as 26+ tires.

mtbr member

Respectfully disagree. Fat B Nimble on 47mm comes in around 3.35", and lumbering is not a descriptor I'd use to describe it. Rolls fast. Corners hard. Jumps well. Pretty much the same as riding a standard 27.5, but with additional small bump compliance and float.

I'm sure you can get it down around 3.25" or less on a smaller rim. IMO, the advantages of plus are minimal in the Dirt Wizard(2.75ish) sized tyres. Can't drop low enough to fully realize the benefits without pinch flats. 2.8" are conversion tyres for people squeezing then into standard frames. Plus bikes should live in the 3 to 3.25 range. Otherwise, just buy the skinny bike you really want.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Maxxis did just release a minion DHR II in 27.5+ (2.8); too bad they haven't released a 26+ version yet.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

I fit 3.0 tires on the 1x1, rigid fork. 1/2 fat is only 1/2 good in the snow.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Let's be honest, 26+ is not going to grow as a market unless bike mfgs build 26+ plus bikes.

As a muni rider, I went through the same conundrum for a bunch of years, then 650+ came on strong and the need for 26+ waned.

I would love to have 26+ plus tires that aren't boat anchors (Arrow, Duro) but also aren't made of tissue paper (DW, Knard).

I am in the process of converting my Transition Klunker to 650+... mmm, two speed hub.

That Unicycle Guy
    Oct 2008
    Ben, you know these two wheeled folks don't know what muni is. I have been intending to buy a Dirt Wizard since they first came out but never seemed to get around to it. You don't have one laying around that you are looking to get rid of do you?

More 26+ options would be a boon for MUni (Mountain Unicycling)

gone walk about
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    Let's be honest, 26+ is not going to grow as a market unless bike mfgs build 26+ plus bikes.
    they do, 27.5 bikes morphed into 26+ with relative ease.

Your bike sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeny View Post
    DH tires like that and bigger have been around for a long time but have never caught on for non-DH riders. They are just too heavy, stiff, and dead feeling. I would not put them in the same conversation as 26+ tires.
    I agree but in the absence of new tires like all the cool wheel sizes are getting - it's slim pickens around here.

On a serious note tho, knowing about large tire options in 26 is still useful. Those 50mm rabbit hole rims are not going to play super nice w/ narrow tires and having a cheaper NOS DH tire in 2.7 in reserve might mean the difference between riding and packing it in should something tear.

Albeit a microscopic niche of an already tiny niche but I could totally see me doing some resort laps on the Instigator and, with the cost of DWs, I'd totally mount some decent, disposable 2.7 DH tires for grins and yucks. Does 1 person (me) even qualify as niche?

I keep hoping some interweb noise gets noticed and some other tires come around - as Hokie said, there's plenty of 26+ bikes out there - they are called 27.5 so maybe a retro fit movement will give some life.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ericpulvermacher View Post
    Ben, you know these two wheeled folks don't know what muni is. I have been intending to buy a Dirt Wizard since they first came out but never seemed to get around to it. You don't have one laying around that you are looking to get rid of do you?

More 26+ options would be a boon for MUni (Mountain Unicycling)
    I keep dropping the word (muni) in case it catches on

Muni = Mountain Unicycle!

Sorry, no 26+ DW's, I read about them with excitement when they were first released, then heard about the sidewall failures, compared that with my expereince on the 29+ Knard, and figured Surly screwed the pooch again.

I do have some 29+ DW's on a tandem and those work great! I think Surly could add more rubber or improve the casing on the 26+ DW and have a decent tire, but it's been a couple years and that hasn't happened, so the QBP affect is in full effect.

I run Trail Boss 27 x 3.0 on my Mutz, 27 x 3 on a muni, my only 26" is a 4" fatty.

The industry could have dumbsized the 27+ to a 26+ to serve the fat bikers who wanted summer tires, but instead the upsized the 27+ to 27 x 4.

It's all about market trends. 27+ is hot.

So, have you all considered commissioning a tire from Vee Rubber?

This was done a few years ago for a 36er tire, I think the minimum order is #200. I rode the prototype and the final version, it was a very good tire, nice balance of durability and weight. Final cost was ~100 per tire. Talk to Matt Beard and Walt (Waltworks), they'd have the skinny on making the negotiations.

Your bike sucks
    You probably know this but the 26" Dirt Wizards come in two flavors - heavy 27TPI which has extra rubber and is pretty beefy. Then there's the 120 TPI which is lighter and purported to be less durable due to less rubber being injected (threads vs. rubber). Not sure about your DW experience w/ sidewall failures but maybe it's the the lighter 120 version?

mtbr member
    I just had a sidewall puncture in my 27tpi Dirt Wizard on the Instigator. My first sidewall puncture ever.

Stans would not seal it up so I had to throw a tube in until I can patch it.

Not saying it is a bad tire, just weird and unexpected since I run 120 and 60tpi Nates as well as some really thin Specialized tires last summer with no puctures.

Your bike sucks
    Yeah, it happens. I've blown/ruined sidewalls on virtually every tire (thin schwable XC to DH) eventually. That's what typically dies on me before tread warrants a replacement - rocks and all that. Anyway - looking at the 27tpi - I think it's meaty in the hand - more so than say my HRIIs or Hans Dampfs. Time will tell tho - my last 3 weeks have been pretty light test. Today's session will be rock-fest so maybe I'll change my opinion - also hitting Moab this weekend so coming 4 days of legit testing grounds.

Edit to add: if you have a damaged sidewall and still want to run tubeless - those repair kits can work wonders:

Panaracer Tubeless Tire Puncture Repair Kit

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Thanks for some real world useful info on the tire thread!!! I'm still hopeful for more high volume 26+ tires on the horizon

gone walk about
    Quote Originally Posted by Richie Williams View Post
    Thanks for some real world useful info on the tire thread!!! I'm still hopeful for more high volume 26+ tires on the horizon
    as am i.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post

As a muni rider, I went through the same conundrum for a bunch of years, then 650+ came on strong and the need for 26+ waned.

I would love to have 26+ plus tires that aren't boat anchors (Arrow, Duro) but also aren't made of tissue paper (DW, Knard).

I am in the process of converting my Transition Klunker to 650+... mmm, two speed hub.
    Any 27 frame can be used with a 26 wheel, see 27.5 - 650b to 26 conversion (!)- Mtbr.com

It would be great to have 2.8 trail oriented tires in 26: perfect combination of increased traction but retained playfulness and lower weight. Ibis just released the Mojo 3 for example, a bike that begs for a set of quicker 26/2.8, instead of the bulky 27/2.8.

We need a sticky for 26+ tires!!!!!

gone walk about
    Quote Originally Posted by Davide View Post
    Any 27 frame can be used with a 26 wheel, see 27.5 - 650b to 26 conversion (!)- Mtbr.com

It would be great to have 2.8 trail oriented tires in 26: perfect combination of increased traction but retained playfulness and lower weight. Ibis just released the Mojo 3 for example, a bike that begs for a set of quicker 26/2.8, instead of the bulky 27/2.8.

We need a sticky for 26+ tires!!!!!
    yup its here...i even bumped that thread..

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Hey there, just wondering if anyone has tried the vee trax fatty 26 x 3? What's the width? Also looking to go 26+ on my 05 kona humu, could probably fit dirt wizards but wondering if the 26x 3 might work?

mtbr member
    MSRP

26◊3.00 (Weight: 1,280) $55
    27.5X2.80 (Weight: 820) $85
    27.5X3.00 (Weight: 920) $85
    27.5X3.25 (Weight: 930) $90
    29X3.0 (Weight: 920) $60-$80

Why does the 26x3 weigh 3/4 of a pound more than 29x3?

Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast