Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910
    mtbr member
    Got some goods coming In. An Easton Havoc 50mm stem, CST Patrol tires, Zefal mud deflector, SR Suntour remote lock out cartridge. Getting the front end done then next drivetrain.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Rycan86 View Post

Hello all!

I recently bought a 2017 Mason Pro after lots of research. I couldn't pass up the corporate deal and I absolutely LOVE the bike...
    Any other Mason owners have any recommendations? Is it possible to mount a 29er tire on my rims (Diamondback Blanchard 38R, Tubeless Compatible, 32h)?

Edit: Saw the tire recs above and will consider. 29er question still stands

More pics of my lil Red bike with my lil Red Wagon
    Congrats on the purchase. I'm still thoroughly enjoying my 2016 Mason Comp. Was thinking of getting a full suspension bike, but I think I'm going to hang on to the Mason longer and just do a few upgrades.

As for your questions. It's a 27.5 rim, so I'm pretty sure you can't put a 29er tire on it. Is the current NN tire that you have the SnakeSkin version? From what I noticed OEM tire is usually the Performance level that has no SnakeSkin.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by s0ckeyeus View Post
    No, I believe the Mercury is a rebadged Novatec, although I could be wrong. It has 27 POE and looks exactly the same as the hub I have. Not a bad hub. Another option if you have a budget closer to $500 is to get a wheelset built. There are some builders who ship and have reasonable rates. It just depends on what kind of budget you're looking at.

If you haven't signed up for Active Junky, shoot over a PM with your email and I'll send an invite. Or at least get an invite from someone to get the sign up bonus.
    S0ckeyeus, PM sent. I'm trying to limit my budget to $500 including shipping and everything. Maybe I should do some more research on custom wheelset and see if sub $500 is possible. The user review for the Hope 35w at ChainReaction is a bit concerning though. Any recommendation for wheel builder?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by joxong View Post
    S0ckeyeus, PM sent. I'm trying to limit my budget to $500 including shipping and everything. Maybe I should do some more research on custom wheelset and see if sub $500 is possible. The user review for the Hope 35w at ChainReaction is a bit concerning though. Any recommendation for wheel builder?
    Invitation sent. I remember seeing some recommended wheelbuilders somewhere on this site and some of the prices looked pretty reasonable. Some of the guys operate off of eBay or Facebook. You might want to post up in the wheel forum on here to get recommendations. It's been a while since I was looking at wheels and forget their names. I once had a set of wheels under $500 from CUSTOM HAND BUILT BICYCLE WHEELS Built By Professionals - Prowheelbuider.com with Bitex hubs (same as the Bike Hubs Store ones people seem to like), but they might have had a special promotion going. Custom and semi-custom wheels start getting expensive fast, and you usually end up paying more than a pre-built wheel.

mtbr member
    It came, Easton Havoc 35 50mm love so far have ridden it yet.

mtbr member
    My tires came they are 2.8 but they measure more towards a 2.6, so once again they are measuring the contact patch probably. I had the caliper out to 2.8. Just a little short.

mtbr member
    Putting in a remote lockout.

mtbr member
    Remote lockout cartridge final came in it works great yaaah

mtbr member
    Mar 2014

Novatec replacement hub - drive ring cracked

Finally found the source of the creaking coming from my rear wheel. The ring is cracked in three places. Trying to work with Novatec to figure out solution. Check this if you have a mystery creak back there.
    2016 Diamondback Mason Trail - Review, Thoughts, Discussion-0812171149f.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ElGreco View Post
    Finally found the source of the creaking coming from my rear wheel. The ring is cracked in three places. Trying to work with Novatec to figure out solution. Check this if you have a mystery creak back there.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0812171149f.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	91.2 KB 
ID:	1152347
    How you get that off?

mtbr member

That sucks. Was that a hub you got through warranty replacement of the stock hub?

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    This was the warranty replacement hub. It lasted about 500 trail miles.

mtbr member
    This was the warranty replacement hub. It lasted about 500 trail miles.
    That sucks. I hope mine holds up.

mtbr member

The solution is to buy a different hub. Standard issue Novatec crap. Don't waste your money getting a warranty hub relaced into that wheel - throwing good money after bad. Just walk away. Don't look back. Get something else. Novatec sucks, and Diamondback sucks for continuing to spec these on their bikes. I know that Diamondback knows that these hubs suck, and they still continue to use them. They leave us to deal with the inept Novatec warranty process directly through Novatec. On multiple previous warranty claims, Novatec themselves had trouble locating these same ratchet rings, a Sram freehub body, and an axle. What kind of a hub manufacturer has difficulty finding an axle or freehub body? When I finally did get a replacement ratchet ring, they told me once I put the new one in, to ride it "gently" for a while, as the new ones have a tendency to crack right away. Seriously? I have fought this battle ten ways from Sunday with Novatec and Diamondback and finally threw in the towel.

Those guys can go eat $h1t. These hubs have cost me a lot of money and time in dealing with warranties and repairs, but most importantly, a crap ton of riding time. These hubs cannot be ridden even moderately hard. They should have the same stickers on them that WalMart puts on their mountain bike shaped objects..."Not intended for offroad use".
    I would advise not taking my advice.

mtbr member
    Bad thing is...MANY bike companies spec these hubs whether branded Novatec or rebranded house brands on their bikes...even "highend" brands. So it's not just a DB thing.
    Jamis Renegade Elite
    Kona Big Unit SS and rigid
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    Bad thing is...MANY bike companies spec these hubs whether branded Novatec or rebranded house brands on their bikes...even "highend" brands. So it's not just a DB thing.
    Yeah. I think the one DB originally specced on the bike (D342SB) was not a great hub by any stretch of the imagination. My experience with the replacement hub has been good so far, but who knows? Like you say, the D712SB (warranty replacement hub) is pretty popular. I'm not sure if this is a common problem or not.

Unlike watermonkey above, I didn't have any costs related to the warranty replacement, but I chose to chip the wheel to them. My experience with Novatec customer service was actually pretty good, but maybe I got lucky.

mtbr member
    Yeah...I'm sure there's varying degrees of quality in the Novatec line...so perhaps DB is scraping the bottom of the barrel while other brands like Santa Cruz are a bit higher up the ladder.
    Jamis Renegade Elite
    Kona Big Unit SS and rigid
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910